PDA

View Full Version : Our potential

swanspant12
12th July 2011, 03:13 AM
After watching on the couch tonight, it really opened my exposure to the potential we have at our footy club.:) - in terms of the midfield. Hanners, Rohan Parker Mitchell bird jetta Mumford Mitchell jack and Kennedy all under the age of 25. Boy we recruit well... GO SWANNIES

ScottH
12th July 2011, 07:34 AM
Looks good, but we have a long way to go to be a top 2 team.
Let's hope we start to see some results from this over the next 12 months,

S120
12th July 2011, 10:25 AM
The inside midfielders of that group look like pretty much sure things in terms of what we will get out of them. Some of them will be really solid AFL players while others will be star players for many years. I'm quite confident of that. What we really need is for Jetta and Rohan (and maybe Lamb too) to become stars. Players with blinding, line-breaking pace to become outstanding (or at least very consistent) players who can help our somewhat one speed midfield get quicker and break out of packs. Jack, Parker and Mitchell seem to have enough speed to win ball at contests and break out of pressure into some space but the other 2 are at the next level in terms of speed. If they can become really good players, we will be much better for it.

Then if LJ can take FF for himself and TDL can do what is needed to cement his spot in the 22 with Sammy Reid at CHF that would settle somewhat our forward worries, Mummy has the ruck sewn up for the next 7ish years and with AJ, Reg, LRT, Teddy we have players who will be around for at least the next 5 years to take the big forwards (while AJ will be around for 10+).

We have much of our next generation at the club already I think so if we can keep Goodes going for a few more years (I personally believe he can play for another 3 or 4 years given how athletic and fit he is)in the forward line or wherever, we are in a good position for the next few years.

Dan
12th July 2011, 11:12 AM
Yes we have potential, but so do many other teams like Melbourne, Richmond, GC, GWS and even collingwood's team is fairly young. When we peak (hopefully) it could be the same time as GC or any other team. I think we should just focus on each year as they come by, recruit and trade well, find some gems in the drafts (a la AJ at 50ish), get lucky and success will come. Looking forward to some cracker matches when we are up the top and GC, GWS and other young clubs are all giving the premiership a shot.

jono2707
12th July 2011, 11:22 AM
After watching on the couch tonight, it really opened my exposure to the potential we have at our footy club.:) - in terms of the midfield. Hanners, Rohan Parker Mitchell bird jetta Mumford Mitchell jack and Kennedy all under the age of 25. Boy we recruit well... GO SWANNIES

I saw that too and I thought it was great that they highlighted us in such a positive light. It shows the potential that we have and with a few more good draftees and recruits over the next few years, we should improve further.

I'd like to see Rohan get over his injuries this year and get a couple of games under his belt before a breakout year next year. I'd like to see Jetta bulk up a little bit, but keep his speed, and develop into an Aaron Davey-type ball distributor in the next few years. I'd like to see Mitchell chucked straight in there next year if he's ready and get as many games as possible into him. And I'd like to see all of our other youngsters stick together and develop a real team ethic over the next few years.

We could do some real special things over the next few years - plenty of other clubs could too. I just hope that certain magic that being a Swan gives works its wonders on this developing young list. Very optimistic I know - lets wait and see how long it takes for this thread to be jumped on by some of the doomsdayers that have been active here lately....

MadCanuck
12th July 2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, lots of mids with potential but I'd like to see a FORWARD line.

chalbilto
12th July 2011, 11:47 AM
I saw that too and I thought it was great that they highlighted us in such a positive light. It shows the potential that we have and with a few more good draftees and recruits over the next few years, we should improve further.

I'd like to see Rohan get over his injuries this year and get a couple of games under his belt before a breakout year next year. I'd like to see Jetta bulk up a little bit, but keep his speed, and develop into an Aaron Davey-type ball distributor in the next few years. I'd like to see Mitchell chucked straight in there next year if he's ready and get as many games as possible into him. And I'd like to see all of our other youngsters stick together and develop a real team ethic over the next few years.

We could do some real special things over the next few years - plenty of other clubs could too. I just hope that certain magic that being a Swan gives works its wonders on this developing young list. Very optimistic I know - lets wait and see how long it takes for this thread to be jumped on by some of the doomsdayers that have been active here lately....

Agree but not bulk up to the detriment of his speed (if need be not bulk up if his speed is affected in any way), but I would really like him to work on improving his tackling technique which I feel lets him down.

Dan
12th July 2011, 12:00 PM
Agree but not bulk up to the detriment of his speed (if need be not bulk up if his speed is affected in any way), but I would really like him to work on improving his tackling technique which I feel lets him down.

It look as if he has been working on tackling as he did lay a couple against GC which is a good sign. Imagine Jetta and Rohan both sprinting down the wings of the SCG, or MCG on the first weekend of October, then delivering a pinpoint kick hitting Sam Reid on the chest :D

Mountain Man
12th July 2011, 12:03 PM
Uncle Byron Sumner is getting good wraps from the Reserve watchers - speedy, clean skills and elusiveness

Red
12th July 2011, 04:40 PM
Yes, lots of mids with potential but I'd like to see a FORWARD line.

x2!!

R-1
12th July 2011, 11:37 PM
Another preseason should really benefit Jets, I'm not as worried about him as I once was. He's a confidence player and confidence will come with experience and a stronger body. I look at players like Stephen Hill and some of those Carlton midgets and don't see any reason he can't be like them.

nomae
12th July 2011, 11:42 PM
I'd like to see Rohan get over his injuries this year and get a couple of games under his belt before a breakout year next year.

I want my boy Gary back! It's been too long!

ScottH
13th July 2011, 08:39 AM

Me Too!!

royboy42
13th July 2011, 09:58 AM

He's pretty keen to get back as well.
He was niggling at Horse at training yesterday to let him train with the main group.
Gary obviously reckons he's fit again, so shouldn't be too far away.

caj23
13th July 2011, 10:39 AM
A note in today's Herald Sun that Rohan has signed on for 3 years:)

nomae
13th July 2011, 10:47 AM

!!!!

You better not be trolling....

wolftone57
13th July 2011, 12:44 PM
The inside midfielders of that group look like pretty much sure things in terms of what we will get out of them. Some of them will be really solid AFL players while others will be star players for many years. I'm quite confident of that. What we really need is for Jetta and Rohan (and maybe Lamb too) to become stars. Players with blinding, line-breaking pace to become outstanding (or at least very consistent) players who can help our somewhat one speed midfield get quicker and break out of packs. Jack, Parker and Mitchell seem to have enough speed to win ball at contests and break out of pressure into some space but the other 2 are at the next level in terms of speed. If they can become really good players, we will be much better for it.

Then if LJ can take FF for himself and TDL can do what is needed to cement his spot in the 22 with Sammy Reid at CHF that would settle somewhat our forward worries, Mummy has the ruck sewn up for the next 7ish years and with AJ, Reg, LRT, Teddy we have players who will be around for at least the next 5 years to take the big forwards (while AJ will be around for 10+).

We have much of our next generation at the club already I think so if we can keep Goodes going for a few more years (I personally believe he can play for another 3 or 4 years given how athletic and fit he is)in the forward line or wherever, we are in a good position for the next few years.

LRT & Teddy are 28 or LRT will be soon & Teddy already is, thet means they will be playing til 33. I think they will be gone long before then but the future looks good with LJ, Heath & Chris McKaigue all looking good.

RogueSwan
13th July 2011, 12:48 PM
LRT & Teddy are 28 or LRT will be soon & Teddy already is, thet means they will be playing til 33. I think they will be gone long before then but the future looks good with LJ, Heath & Chris McKaigue all looking good.

No way, Teddy will be forever young.

at least until we stop calling him "Teddy":)

S120
13th July 2011, 12:59 PM

Yeh I should have made myself more clear. I more meant between the 2 of them, AJ and Reg we will have a defensive unit that will be in tact for the next 5 years (whatever the combination is).

Very interested to see how Campbell Heath progresses over the next year or so. He was young and a bit nervous in his senior games last year but there were definitely some things that he showed that I reckon will translate to him being a very capable senior player.

LJ is the really intriguing one. He looked far more comfortable down back against Collingwood than he did up forward against North (his only 2 seniors games so far). But we are really crying out for another good forward to put next to Sammy and the last thing we really need is another tall defender in the seniors. I hope he gets an opportunity to make FF his own but this injury is really gonna make it tough for him to break back into the 1's before finals.

liz
13th July 2011, 01:07 PM
I don't think LJ will be a FF anytime soon. He is not overly quick and not particularly big and strong. To me he looks, at least in the short term, like a tall HFFer or a third defender who can peel off and use his magnificent kicking skills to clear the press.

S120
13th July 2011, 01:34 PM
His body type atm reminds me a lot of a younger Jack Riewoldt. He was pretty spindly between the ages of 18-21, not overly quick and didn't look that strong. I think if they can put some more bulk on him, especially on his upper body, he can hold down FF in the future.

I've seen some really smart body work from him so far. He got beaten pretty easily against Pratt and Thompson against North but in his first game and to not many people's surprise consequently.

I think we just need to let him play in the seniors. Give him time to develop into a really good forward and I think he is too talented to not become such a player. This injury he's just picked up will hurt his aspirations of getting back in the seniors this year pretty badly however.

nomae
13th July 2011, 02:07 PM
I think we just need to let him play in the seniors. Give him time to develop into a really good forward and I think he is too talented to not become such a player. This injury he's just picked up will hurt his aspirations of getting back in the seniors this year pretty badly however.

+1

Perhaps next year with another pre-season under his belt LJ be big enough to take over from Jesse.

But even if he isn't a hulking, dominating full-forward I still think he can be effective, with Sammy Reid and TDL taking the pressure off him as alternative forward targets. (And as S120 said, Jack Riewoldt isn't the biggest bloke around and he's in the top two forwards in the comp.)

If all goes to plan we should have a pretty decent forward line over the next few years!

msb
14th July 2011, 12:38 PM

Great news if true, now for reid to be locked away.