PDA

View Full Version : swans still about the same

veramex
13th July 2011, 01:54 PM
I'm a sucker for stats. Thought this was an interesting article -
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118400/default.aspx

Looking at percentage only, Swans are pretty much exactly the same compared with last year. I think that aligns with how they seem to be playing - eg losing to teams above them, beating teams below them (i've already chosen to forget that adelaide game). So if all goes to plan, a 5th or 6th finish should be on the cards. I'm still playing the mathematical game to see if we can sneak 4th - i think eagles have definitely got 3rd or 4th - so just hoping both the blues and hawks stumble a few more games and we get on a roll.

Improvement ladder (percentage change from end of 2010 to round 16 2011)

West Coast +46.88%
Collingwood +38.41%
Essendon +29.59%
Carlton +27.69%
Hawthorn +20.86%
Richmond +12.02%
North Melbourne +8.21%
Melbourne +4.48%
Sydney Swans -00.31%
Brisbane Lions -4.26%
Fremantle -6.04%
Geelong -12.21%
Port Adelaide -13.52%
Adelaide -16.66%
St Kilda -23.52%
Western Bulldogs -27.41%
Gold Coast N/A

ScottH
13th July 2011, 02:18 PM
It's scary that the pies were good last year, and are even better placed this year.

Nich
13th July 2011, 02:37 PM
It's scary that the pies were good last year, and are even better placed this year.

For sure. And even scarier is that they got to play in two GF's last year. There are a lot of variables so anyone could win the GF this far out but after the way they won the replay and the way they put their foot down at times this year, they are looking unbeatable.

Jewels
13th July 2011, 02:45 PM
For sure. And even scarier is that they got to play in two GF's last year. There are a lot of variables so anyone could win the GF this far out but after the way they won the replay and the way they put their foot down at times this year, they are looking unbeatable.

Particularly when you consider that they have also had their fair share of injury woes this year and that doesn't seem to have interrupted their momentum.

longmile
13th July 2011, 02:47 PM

I am actually quaking in my boots.
Who will stop this juggernaut?
The eagles and Geelong seem to be the only contenders for me, and Collingwood would have to be having a bad bad day

Nich
13th July 2011, 03:28 PM
Collingwood would have to be having a bad bad day

I think that is pretty much it. But in all reality, say in the Swans case, as long as you put yourself in the position to reach a GF then anything can happen. I'd be more than happy for them to have a bad day and us have an extremely good day and beat them : )

Teasdale77
13th July 2011, 07:12 PM
According to those figures, Dockers and Bulldogs are in decline so we should get these next 2 wins. I love stats ;)

BRISWAN
13th July 2011, 07:13 PM
Tough call for the Cats!

msb
13th July 2011, 07:16 PM
Yes collingwood are looking unstoppable BUT I go back to 2008 when geelong were also red hot all year, lost only one game and then lost the one that matters very unexpectantly. IMO collingwood could win every game from here until the GF by 100 points and it does not matter cause anything could happen on GF day, especially for eg if they play geelong who play like their lives depended on the result. Them and a full strength hawthorn are the only teams who could stop them, the eagles would get smashed and I think carlton has been overrated all year.

Mr Magoo
14th July 2011, 11:23 AM
Hawthorne will never be full strength this year due to long term injuries so therefore the only real contender is Geelong.

longmile
14th July 2011, 11:58 AM
Hawthorne will never be full strength this year due to long term injuries so therefore the only real contender is Geelong.

I'd put West Coast as contenders now. They've really turned there season around. While they (no-one) are not better than Collingwood, they're up there.

msb
14th July 2011, 01:22 PM
I'd put West Coast as contenders now. They've really turned there season around. While they (no-one) are not better than Collingwood, they're up there.

Collingwood would put them to the sword if they played off this year in the GF.

R-1
14th July 2011, 03:20 PM
Gold Coast skews a lot of these figures a bit - look how many are in positive terrain, that shouldn't be mathematically possible (all percentages should average to 100).

Worth noting that Collingwood hasn't playd the Suns yet and west Coast only beat them by 3 goals.

Swansongster
14th July 2011, 05:31 PM

I am certainly glad we struck WCE in round 3 before they got up and running. On current form, you'd have to have a Collingwood v. Eagles finale to the season.

Yuri H
15th July 2011, 11:11 AM
On current form, you'd have to have a Collingwood v. Eagles finale to the season.

Oh em gee. This would be historic as the very first game in which I'll have cheered on Collingwood.

longmile
15th July 2011, 11:13 AM
Oh em gee. This would be historic as the very first game in which I'll have cheered on Collingwood.

I agree with you there Yuri, there wont be much to cheer for, if this happens I dont even know who I'll go for.

Triple B
15th July 2011, 11:47 AM
For me it will be a first time cheering for Collingwood if it's a Collingwood v Carlton GF. Would be happy to see Geelong/Hawks or Eagles knock off the Pies, but not the Scum.

The footy Gods shouldn't allow Carltons years of tanking and general dodginess to prosper.