PDA

View Full Version : Ray Chamberlin is a ******* ****** who agrees?

Pages : [1] 2

Bexl
17th July 2011, 04:07 PM
ray chamberlin is a ******* ****** who agree's

Dan
17th July 2011, 04:09 PM
Me!

Cpt. Kirk
17th July 2011, 04:10 PM
me ruined the game even though sydney aren't playing well.

kangle4
17th July 2011, 04:11 PM
He's there to put on a performance not umpire.

Allymay
17th July 2011, 04:32 PM
Is this idiot aware that the game is not about HIM but the TEAMS that are actually playing??????

goswannies
17th July 2011, 04:37 PM
Roosy agrees! Suggested he seems to be more involved in 50:50 situations. BT loves him though. Chambo & BT would make a nice couple

Doctor J.
17th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Destroyed the game.

I will not watch any AFL games he is involved in. I pay my money to watch football not umpires.

Melbournehammer
17th July 2011, 04:59 PM
How does one get hold of the umpiring department and express absolute anger at their behaviour

Panttz
17th July 2011, 04:59 PM
Terrible umpiring in general. The 50 that was payed when Tadgh was running the ball to the dockers player was complete bs. 80 meter penalty easily.

GongSwan
17th July 2011, 05:06 PM
how does one email the umpires to express displeasure? Probably under instructions to make us lose, I think Andrew D is still embarrassed by his comments of 2005. Worst most one sided umpiring I have ever seen

Auntie.Gerald
17th July 2011, 05:06 PM
one of the worst efforts by the Umpires...........geese that 50m hurt with a few minutes to go......!!!

Mel_C
17th July 2011, 05:07 PM
An absolute disgrace. How this umpire is allowed to continue umpiring is a joke. I have never yelled so loudly at the TV as I did today.

Scottee
17th July 2011, 05:11 PM
Umpiring like that makes you wonder about whether gambling is playing too big a part in football results.

Scottee
17th July 2011, 05:14 PM
Said to my partner in the 2nd quarter that it looked as if the umpires had decided that Freo was going to win this one. The 3rd quarter proved me right and just to remove any doubt the 2 frees at the end of the last were the last straw. Six goals from free kicks with 80m penalties thrown in. As said before, AFL should not be about the umpires.

Peace
17th July 2011, 05:15 PM
My. God. If bazza was still in the team, razor wouldn't have walked off the ground. His ego is unbelievable for an umpire...

Allymay
17th July 2011, 05:19 PM
I think the nickname is pandering to this guy's ego. He loves the attention. Jeff Geisha - grow some balls and do something about this moron!!!!

Nich
17th July 2011, 05:27 PM
An embarrassment to the game. Some people like him but my theory is if you are even having that discussion about an
Umpire then he has already failed. It's not about you Ray. Lucky I wasn't near their race today. I noticed how many were lining up when the siren went. Disgraceful. Let the boys play footy you egotistical muppet.

chalbilto
17th July 2011, 05:47 PM
I haven't been so angry at an umpiring performance for shuch I long time. They were disgraceful today. I hope we don't have to suffer Ray Chamberlain ever. The guy is an egotistical fool. Lucky for him it was Sydney and not Collingwood.

ScottH
17th July 2011, 05:48 PM
My. God. If bazza was still in the team, razor wouldn't have walked off the ground. His ego is unbelievable for an umpire...

Post of the thread!!

Shocking display out there.

swanspant12
Biggest @@@@head ever

emazing
hey guys, could not agree more!
umpiring killed the game and a good ump is one you do not notice or discuss
leave your ego in the change room
the umpiring is way behind other areas of afl and makes the sport laughable overseas( eg compared to nfl, nhl,mbl,nba etc)
to lose by 11 in such a crucial game and have at minimum 4 goals given away from umpiring 50-50's?
i also agree andrew demitriou is a complete nob who cant handle the fact we won in 2005 and got beaten by 1 point by a team on steroids in 2006
has the head of any sport in australia ever singled out a teams playing style?
makes you wonder... what about the interchange blunder earlier in the year against carlton?
man i am fuming!!

On-Baller
17th July 2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah have to agree pretty disgraceful effort today,and it's not the first time for Ray,umpires are there to umpire not be celebrities.

Having said that i still dont think we lost due to the umpires,shocking selection again from Horse and co,and the teams overall effort was very poor indeed bar the last 1/4.

jono2707
17th July 2011, 05:58 PM
I normally try not to get too caught up in berating umpires but I have nearly lost my voice after yelling at that disgraceful rubbish dished up by the fly larvae in yellow. I don't think I've seen a game where the umpiring so totally overshadowed the game. I didn't pay good money to watch that 'show' and I'd like to see whether the AFL have anything to say on the debacle that was today's 'umpiring'.
Rant over...

Nich
17th July 2011, 06:09 PM
I am just tired of the square ups as well. I'm sure I am not paranoid so why do they very often start blowing frees to the team that is behind in the last quarter?? If you are going to pay them then, then pay them the whole game. Square ups are disgraceful.

Damien
17th July 2011, 06:15 PM
Was in a Corp Box today with 4 Freo fans and 2 actual umpires haha and they were all horrified by some of the 50/50s paid against us, so I felt a bit better about my sooking.

Have to say Tadgh was stupid in the last few minutes though, just give the ball straight back. Once the kick is paid, just give the freaking ball.

emazing
17th July 2011, 06:18 PM
man i live in melbourne and the swans get nothing here..its all collingwood,carlton and essendon
after living in sydney and working at scg for 4 years it hurts to have no true swans insight in the media or tv commentary in melbs
the third quarter effort was woeful by bloods but its hard to put in context when 3 goals are gifted from 50-50s 20 m straight in front

who thinks white has played his last game?

Margie
17th July 2011, 06:23 PM
who thinks white has played his last game?

Me. In the seniors anyway.

teddys mum
17th July 2011, 06:26 PM
Me. In the seniors anyway.

Definitely, do you reckon we'd get much for him in a trade?

Margie
17th July 2011, 06:31 PM
Definitely, do you reckon we'd get much for him in a trade?

Doubtful. Unless GWS could see some value in him.

erica
17th July 2011, 06:34 PM
Chamberlain is a total disgrace to the game. There was so much sustained booing at his decisions (that was after the stunned disbelief from the crowd). I was hoping he might be accidentally taken out of the game. I'm sure we could have raised the money to pay the fine from the crowd.

emazing
17th July 2011, 06:35 PM
he doesnt seem to have a football brain
his footy awareness, ie reading the ball is terrible
and even within that, the dude is huge and could be an enforcer but just flakes out
sad cause he had a real opportunity this year to make an impact

msb
17th July 2011, 06:35 PM
A @@@@ing disgrace, worse umpiring ive seen, most likely cost us a finals spot IMO.

emazing
17th July 2011, 06:38 PM
lets petition to get chamberlain banned from the scg!!!!

Margie
17th July 2011, 06:39 PM
A @@@@ing disgrace, worse umpiring ive seen, most likely cost us a finals spot IMO.

Sadly, I think you may be right.

This game and the Adelaide games have probably cost us the finals. And the umpiring in this one definitely changed the momentum.

Rod_
17th July 2011, 06:49 PM
Worst umpiring I have seen for a long time (if not ever)

Poor umpiring should not have an impact on the result of the game, and today it did!

Rod_

erica
17th July 2011, 06:49 PM
Someone has set up a FaceBook page for him today! Ray 'Razor' Chamberlain - Wall | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Razor-Chamberlain/119565754804193?sk=wall)

pirouette
17th July 2011, 06:50 PM
Sadly, I think you may be right.

This game and the Adelaide games have probably cost us the finals. And the umpiring in this one definitely changed the momentum.

I'm usually one to think that playing finals (regardless of where in the top 8 we are and whether we're a realistic chance of the flag or not) is better than not playing finals, but I found myself thinking today that if we didn't make the finals, the coaching staff might actually take a look at how crap we are in some areas and start working on them. But maybe I'm just feeling utterly frustrated and disappointed after today, and am not thinking straight. hmm.

oh, and back on topic, I agree the umpiring was dreadful. the number of times I swore at chamberlain today...

Margie
17th July 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm usually one to think that playing finals (regardless of where in the top 8 we are and whether we're a realistic chance of the flag or not) is better than not playing finals, but I found myself thinking today that if we didn't make the finals, the coaching staff might actually take a look at how crap we are in some areas and start working on them. But maybe I'm just feeling utterly frustrated and disappointed after today, and am not thinking straight. hmm.

oh, and back on topic, I agree the umpiring was dreadful. the number of times I swore at chamberlain today...

You sort of feel "over it", don't you? Not that supporting the team can always be about winning, but there needs to be some rethinking and restructuring. It's just not working at the moment.

Big Al
17th July 2011, 07:03 PM
The midget runt (rhyming slang intended) is a pathetic excuse for an umpire and should be sent to reserve grade of division 4 of the Kalgoorlie league where he bloody well belongs.

CJK
17th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Result:

The desperate struggle that AFL has for Sydney 'Hearts and Minds' 0 - Ray Chamberlin 1

Cost our attendance at least 2K people next week. A lot of those that came today will not come back.

royboy42
17th July 2011, 07:11 PM
The midget runt (rhyming slang intended) is a pathetic excuse for an umpire and should be sent to reserve grade of division 4 of the Kalgoorlie league where he bloody well belongs.

Steady there Al! I started my footy in the div 4 ressies at Kal.
The umpiring standards there were pretty good.
He would have only got one start at the ressies. No getting dropped over there.
Justice was swift and merciless in those days;those shafts were DEEP!

Matt79
17th July 2011, 07:12 PM
Most discraceful umpiring I have ever witnessed that influenced the outcome of the match! You know it is bad when Chamberlain was not the worst! Number 5 Brett Richie was abysmal!!!

ernie koala
17th July 2011, 07:12 PM
There's no doubt many players got rattled in the third quarter, over the poor standard and inconsistency of the umpiring.
But watching the utter desperation and commitment our guys played with in the latter half of the last quarter, showed what could of been.
A good team will rise above umpiring with effort. Our guys showed that for part 1 quarter.

Big Al
17th July 2011, 07:13 PM
Steady there Al! I started my footy in the div 4 ressies at Kal.
The umpiring standards there were pretty good.
He would have only got one start at the ressies. No getting dropped over there.
Justice was swift and merciless in those days;those shafts were DEEP!

(clap)

Nich
17th July 2011, 07:19 PM
From the Swans Facebook wall -
it is finally obvious to me after all these years the dingo took the wrong chamberlain

aardvark
17th July 2011, 07:21 PM
From the Swans Facebook wall -

Even a dingo wouldn't swallow Ray.......

Yuri H
17th July 2011, 07:23 PM
If my nieces-in-law hadn't been sitting right behind me at the game I'd've been ejected for sure at all the insults, abuse, and general outraged screaming I had bottled up inside me. The way we were playing, we didn't deserve the win (our usual brave/desperate clawback at the last minute aside) but THAT MALIGNANT DWARF was so blatantly biased, corrupt, and hysterically WRONG ... man, I'm doing internet all-caps yelltyping, I'm so angry.

Good lord, I haven't been so consumed with contempt since watching Fox News accidentally once back in the US. I think I've calmed down and then I think about that smirking mutant and my blood boils all over again.

Surely there's so mechanism for reporting umpires and getting them investigated? I mean, this was over the top. Past incompetence and straight into hostile bias.

Dosser
17th July 2011, 07:23 PM
Well, I hate to say it but I often have a chuckle at the rants against the umpires by supporters. More often than not, the team loses because of how they played, not the umpires. I will always maintain that the umps call it as they see it - they are never deliberately favouring a particular team, merely displaying incompetence with incorrect decisions.

However, I can honestly say that I cant remember a more sustained run of imcompetence seemingly to favour a particular team than what I saw in the 3rd quarter. this was highlighted by the 'jumper punch' by Grundy when at no stage did he bend his elbow. The fact that Chamberlain was standing right there like a vulture waiting for a transgression made it all the more obvious that something here was not right. For Grundy to try to hold off a player who was swinging his arms at him and then concede a free kick by doing so was a mockery. Where was Chamberlain when McGlynn was hit by a roundhouse right from McPhee? Surely McPhee deserves some weeks for that?

Once again, I will not accuse umpires of being dishonest - only incompetent, however when the incompetence favours the same team again and again and again then it is extremely disappointing and the fact that we have no recourse on this adds to the frustration.

At the very LEAST Longmire should issue a 'please explain' to the Geish, but that still wont change the scoreboard.

Aaaaargh! I am so frustrated.

AnnieH
17th July 2011, 07:28 PM
Chamberlain is a ****

Fewo's 19th man today.

Half their score came from very dubious free kicks.

As a card carrying member of this club, I'd certainly like a "please explain" from the AFL. If they did review it and find that even two of his decisions were the wrong decisions in front of goal, all they're going to say is "opps, sorry". We wont get the win or our four points.

I'm extremely pissed off.

Doctor
17th July 2011, 07:31 PM
Well, I hate to say it but I often have a chuckle at the rants against the umpires by supporters. More often than not, the team loses because of how they played, not the umpires. I will always maintain that the umps call it as they see it - they are never deliberately favouring a particular team, merely displaying incompetence with incorrect decisions.

However, I can honestly say that I cant remember a more sustained run of imcompetence seemingly to favour a particular team than what I saw in the 3rd quarter. this was highlighted by the 'jumper punch' by Grundy when at no stage did he bend his elbow. The fact that Chamberlain was standing right there like a vulture waiting for a transgression made it all the more obvious that something here was not right. For Grundy to try to hold off a player who was swinging his arms at him and then concede a free kick by doing so was a mockery. Where was Chamberlain when McGlynn was hit by a roundhouse right from McPhee? Surely McPhee deserves some weeks for that?

Once again, I will not accuse umpires of being dishonest - only incompetent, however when the incompetence favours the same team again and again and again then it is extremely disappointing and the fact that we have no recourse on this adds to the frustration.

At the very LEAST Longmire should issue a 'please explain' to the Geish, but that still wont change the scoreboard.

This.

As much as I want to, I'm not going to attack the umpires personally. Professionally however they were absolutely abysmal today. I'm a passionate but objective supporter and if the free kicks are there I'll admit it (like Mummy's stupid elbow that led to the opening goal) but that was THE most one-sided umpiring performance against the Swans that I have ever attended. There is absolutely no doubt that it cost us the game. What makes matters worse though is that it clearly encourages grubs like Ballantyne to continue with playing the way they do. Do we want kids growing up learning to act like that in order to win games? He was validated by wretched umpiring.

laughingnome
17th July 2011, 07:34 PM

Too right, Dosser.

The frustration nearly bubbled over the top today with the amazing inconsistencies being flaunted, topped by the SEVEN goals that resulted directly from Chamberlain's free kicks to Freo, most of which were blatently wrong (like Ballantyne's v Grundy) or dubious 50:50 calls at best that should have been let go in the wet (Richards HTB in goal square).

Add to the the stunning 50m penalties and you make for one unhappy camper.
Just on that: What the hell did Jesse do wrong for that one in the first quarter? Takes the mark, (which a whistle would have been blown for), goes back to take his kick, looks at umpire, gestures mark (as to question which way the kick is going), then IMMEDIATELY throws the ball flatly and squarely to the Freo player. It all happened in about 3 seconds from whistle to ball, and that's "dissent and not returning the ball"? Seriously, WHAT THE FUDGE?

Untamed Snark
17th July 2011, 07:35 PM
Hey ray-a dingo ate your rule book.

Not sure who I hate more,chamberlain or ballantine

Big Al
17th July 2011, 07:37 PM
I would like to thank Ray and his posse of morons. Under this svelte chiseled exterior I can only store so much anger. Most of this was used on the incompetent buffoons today instead of some of our players who richly deserved a bake.

Dosser
17th July 2011, 07:38 PM
The problem was that he should have returned it then complained (same as Kennelly's). However, the umpires were too hot on this and gave NO leeway. Although we should have known better, the umpires jumped too soon.

unconfuseme
17th July 2011, 07:38 PM
I've been to a few Swans games where they have been harshly dealt with by the maggots, but I can't recall hearing such loud and sustained booing of the umpires as there was from a relatively small crowd, as soon as the final siren sounded, until long after they disappeared up the race.

It was 100% warranted.

It didn't seem that all of the one way decisions were going to matter, with the Swans failing to get out of first gear for 3 quarters ... they looked out played and on the end of a deserved hiding ... but then once they clicked after 3/4 time, the umpiring clearly decided the outcome.

... if they had just done what they do in front of 80,000 at the MCG ... put the whistle away in the final quarter, because they are spineless, talentless, freaks, I would have copped that!

But no, in difficult conditions for all, they had to impress the locals with their knowledge of the rules, and total lack of understanding of the game!

Naturally the patronising morons who run the game south of the border will do nothing, because, although "they seem to be becoming more knowledgable" NSW fans don't know the rules anyway!

The umpires will go away and review the tape (without the sound) and sit around and pat each other on the back, counting the number of times they got on the big screen, and admiring their ball bouncing and backward running skills.

As for Ray, please don't send him to Sydney anymore, he obviously resents it!

I agree with a previous post, we should refrain from the razor reference, and refer to him only a "Dopey", or "Dopey Ray" ... there is certainly a strong resemblance, and he is surely the dopiest of the 7 dwarves, but in good company today!

Congratulations Umpires, should be proud, today you were bigger than the game!

Yuri H
17th July 2011, 07:40 PM
At least one of the (unsurprisingly multiple) I-hate-Ray-Chamberlain pages of Facebook claims he's gay and a big equal rights campaigner? Please, speaking as one of RWO's resident basically well-adjusted poofier sorts, I beg someone to tell me this isn't true. I really wouldn't be able to live down being remotely connected to/lumped in with this inept goon.

Dosser
I have to say that until today I was ambivalent towards Ballantyne as I really had no idea how he played. Until today...

By the way, just how good is Fyfe going to be - he is only 19!!?!

Cardinal
Well it's certainly a mixed up world in afl this week - Sam Mitchell was all concerned about diving and playing for frees on the weekend.

giant
17th July 2011, 07:41 PM
That was the most shameful umpiring effort I've seen in 30 odd years of watching Aussie Rules.

After the disgraceful ROK HTB decision, I've given him both barrels when he's come to the boundary - and he's had a sly smile when he's heard me. Two mins later he gives the ***** outrageous free to Ballantyne and I have no hesitation whatsoever in saying it was his way of getting back at me.

Needs to be something done about this bloke - he is very very bad for football.

Dosser
17th July 2011, 07:43 PM
At least one of the (unsurprisingly multiple) I-hate-Ray-Chamberlain pages of Facebook claims he's gay and a big equal rights campaigner? Please, speaking as one of RWO's resident basically well-adjusted poofier sorts, I beg someone to tell me this isn't true. I really wouldn't be able to live down being remotely connected to/lumped in with this inept goon.

I hate to say it my friend, but I resent Ray being called human, too.

JF_Bay22_SCG
17th July 2011, 07:51 PM
Biggest @@@@head ever

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50236_233421225693_8456_n.jpg

"My name is Ray Chamberlain & I was the kid who got picked on at school for being a mong, so being an umpire at AFL level is my revenge on you all! HA HA HA!"

Am so furious. At least five 50-50 free kicks given to Freo when play on was the only sensible solution. The 12 point goal! The 50 metres when Jesse White wanted to know what the decision was for! The 50 metres for the trainer being inside the 5 metre zone despite going respectfully behind the player taking the kick.

Need I go on?!

JF (wanting to smash things and you as well if you are not careful!)

Big Al
17th July 2011, 07:54 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50236_233421225693_8456_n.jpg

"My name is Ray Chamberlain & I was the kid who got picked on at school for being a mong, so being an umpire at AFL level is my revenge on you all! HA HA HA!"

Am so furious. At least five 50-50 free kicks given to Freo when play on was the only sensible solution. The 12 point goal! The 50 metres when Jesse White wanted to know what the decision was for! The 50 metres for the trainer being inside the 5 metre zone despite going respectfully behind the player taking the kick.

Need I go on?!

JF (wanting to smash things and you as well if you are not careful!)

JF, remove that photo immediately. Throwing darts at my computer screen isn't good for it.

Yuri H
17th July 2011, 07:54 PM
OH THANK GOD. He's not gay.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/razor-ray-an-afl-cult-figure/story-e6frf9jf-1111116616210

His fiancee Monique, whom he will marry in October, no longer goes to any of his games because she can't cope with the abuse dished out to the umpires, particularly her man.

On the other hand, he's dating someone named Monique. MORE REASON TO HATE (apologies if any RWOers' real names are 'Monique").

cos789
17th July 2011, 07:55 PM
I'm a Docker's member .I sat down to enjoy a game of football ,hoping whoever won would instill confidence on a finals charge .I didn't see the whole game .I went for walk after the first quarter .I knew Swans didn't have a chance .Not only were the umpires looking to give the Dockers every opportunity they stopped looking at the Swans . They managed to miss three head highs yet managed to get all the little technical ones .I forget who was on the wing but it looked like an OK mark yet he was penalised and penalised 50m because he didn't say "how high" when the umpire said jump .I go for walk to return to see Richards gain possession of the ball . He's over it but clearly knocks it out only to find a Docker has knocked it back in and holding it in ,Of cou rse another penalty almost in the square .Now this was clearly shown on TV .Everybody watching the TV saw it that way and what esle did they see - the umpire having the exact same view .Then we had suffer his condescending remarks .Of course that prompted a spate of other frees .

I didn't think it was possible but they ruined two teams chances out there .
I feel sorry for the people who paid money to watch football only to see an umpiring display .Needless to say I walked out again .I didn't see the 6 goal fight back .Congrats to the Swans .

My thoughts will always be with the Swans but I don't think I'll watch another game of AFL ,not when I can go to the WAFL and see games not destroyed in such a manner .

Lucky Knickers
17th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Can't believe Ritchie isn't rating a mention. Clearly he was in need for a Whistle-rectomy to extract it from his clacker.
Poor Sammy was touched up by McPharlin more than the Sunday Altar Boy (sorry for poor joke - am mad)

AnnieH
17th July 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm a Docker's member .I sat down to enjoy a game of football ,hoping whoever won would instill confidence on a finals charge .I didn't see the whole game .I went for walk after the first quarter .I knew Swans didn't have a chance .Not only were the umpires looking to give the Dockers every opportunity they stopped looking at the Swans . They managed to miss three head highs yet managed to get all the little technical ones .I forget who was on the wing but it looked like an OK mark yet he was penalised and penalised 50m because he didn't say "how high" when the umpire said jump .I go for walk to return to see Richards gain possession of the ball . He's over it but clearly knocks it out only to find a Docker has knocked it back in and holding it in ,Of cou rse another penalty almost in the square .Now this was clearly shown on TV .Everybody watching the TV saw it that way and what esle did they see - the umpire having the exact same view .Then we had suffer his condescending remarks .Of course that prompted a spate of other frees .

I feel sorry for the people who paid money to watch football only to see an umpiring display .Needless to say I walked out again .I didn't see the 6 goal fight back .Congrats to the Swans .

My thoughts will always be with the Swans but I don't think I'll watch another game of AFL ,not when I can go to the WAFL and see games not destroyed in such a manner .

Thanks Cos. You just made me cry.
Fweo are my soul-brothers - we all hate the criminal west coke budgies!!
My little brother is a die hard quokka fan and left the ground happy, yet disappointed with the atrocious umpiring.

Dosser
17th July 2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you, Cos. As a Swans member it is appreciated to find someone from the 'Dark Side' agreeing with us. All the best for the rest of the season, buddy.

AnnieH
17th July 2011, 08:00 PM
the "ray chamberlian" hate pages on facebook are hilarious.

borough
17th July 2011, 08:01 PM
Agree with OP. It is so frustrating when an umpire thinks he should be the centre of attention. If an umpire is doing a good job you should not notice him, I pay my money to watch the footballers not the umpires.

SwansFan1972
17th July 2011, 08:02 PM
Appalling umpiring today.

Will be shocked if Demetriou doesn't read out Razor for three votes on Brownlow night... the little twerp goes after the BoG every week - seems to forget he is supposed to be incidental to the game rather than the one who decides the outcome.

I wonder how much his clan had on a Freo win today?

Dosser
17th July 2011, 08:03 PM
the "ray chamberlian" hate pages on facebook are hilarious.

As I am inept with Facebook, do you have any links, Annie?

Yuri H
17th July 2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, adding to the thanks, cos789. Freo perhaps earned the win, but we'll never know thanks to the obscene lumps of human plankton known as the "umpires" of this game. (and as Annie said so well, anyone who hates the Eagles is an ally of mine!)

Sandridge
17th July 2011, 08:05 PM
I think you're all being generous towards the umpires with your low estimates of the number of Freo goals from free kicks - by my reckoning it was 8!!!! (I think we got 2 from frees.) We didn't play well - and haven't all season - but the umpiring was blatantly one sided and cost us the game and probably, eventualy, a spot in the finals.

Yuri H
17th July 2011, 08:06 PM
Dosser -

I hate Ray Chamberlain | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-hate-Ray-Chamberlain/193288680728551)
Ray 'Razor' Chamberlain | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Razor-Chamberlain/119565754804193)
Ray Chamberlain should be sacked | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Chamberlain-should-be-sacked/163866620351662)
Ray Chamberlain should be shot | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Chamberlain-should-be-shot/123237484434222)

... there are more, just search on "Ray Chamberlain".

Cardinal
17th July 2011, 08:07 PM
Shane McInerney must be so jealous of all the attention Chamberpot is getting - maybe this could be the turning point for our season like 2005

Dosser
17th July 2011, 08:15 PM
Dosser -

I hate Ray Chamberlain | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-hate-Ray-Chamberlain/193288680728551)
Ray 'Razor' Chamberlain | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Razor-Chamberlain/119565754804193)
Ray Chamberlain should be sacked | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Chamberlain-should-be-sacked/163866620351662)
Ray Chamberlain should be shot | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ray-Chamberlain-should-be-shot/123237484434222)

... there are more, just search on "Ray Chamberlain".

Thanks Yuri - I see that you feature prominently! lol

Cardinal
17th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Deep breath everyone - no need to be too personal or slander minorities but I as a fellow student of the rules of the game I do understand your concern

Xie Shan
17th July 2011, 08:20 PM
I thought we were beaten by a better team today, but geez they were not that much better (as the final margin showed). It wasn't so much that Freo were favoured by the umpiring, but it was more that we were blatantly NOT favoured. The weather, the umpiring, the second and third quarter fades... what a crap day at the footy. There's always next week!!

Oh and it's been said before, but I think we can say decisively that the dingo took the wrong Chamberlain. :(

SwansFan1972
17th July 2011, 08:22 PM
Deep breath everyone - no need to be too personal or slander minorities but I as a fellow student of the rules of the game I do understand your concern

:)

Not sure goblins are offered any protections from slander or persecution. And Ray does nothing to advance their cause ...

SwansFan1972
17th July 2011, 08:25 PM
And one other thing ... sick to death of the crap weather we've had in many home games this year.

Some have the mistaken belief we are a good wet weather team - we haven't been that good in the wet since back when the 'Syyyyydneeeyyyyy' chant was first uttered in West Coast swimming pool game many moons ago.

We lost the game today when the rains came in the third. Got the settings a bit closer to right in the downpour in the last, but was too late then.

Rob-bloods
17th July 2011, 08:28 PM
Gieschen will review the game and say the umpires were correct in their decisions. He will not mention the 50 or so throws that were not penalised beacuse the one 20 mtrs out in front of goal in the last minutes of a one goal game may well have been there. He will not say the 80 metres was too long or that the kick was soft ayway. He will not mention the time Ballantyne was beautifully tackled dropped the ball and it was play on. The holding the ball decison in front of goal was pretty harsh and again there were countless similar or worse examples let go.

Analyse Gieschen, the AFL take pity on poor ex coaches, who are hopeless at their craft, get the ass from their club job, and give them a pension job at the umpies club (remember Schwab, now wih the VFL or something ANOTHER pension job) and every week they come out and give the umpies a clean bill of health...well woopy do. McBurney, McInerney and Chamberlain are/were regarded as leading umpires and that my friends says it all.

schwattasboots
17th July 2011, 08:29 PM
ray is a trible umpire the free against mummy should not been one

tadgh was just running the ball to the dockers player

Nich
17th July 2011, 08:34 PM
AFL Umpires Association ---> FIFA

Hartijon
17th July 2011, 08:36 PM
The Umpires were one sided and unfair that was obvious to even my American friends. However why did Tadgh not throw the ball straight back to the Fremantle player when failure to do that had already resulted in one 50 metre penalty. That led to the 80 metre penalty and eventual soft free kick in front of their goal. It was a terrible piece of play by Kenelly and cost us any chance of winning.

Nich
17th July 2011, 08:42 PM
Ray and the boys copping a spray.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac3/NichBaker/348372209.jpg

Nolie
17th July 2011, 08:45 PM
This.

As much as I want to, I'm not going to attack the umpires personally. Professionally however they were absolutely abysmal today. I'm a passionate but objective supporter and if the free kicks are there I'll admit it (like Mummy's stupid elbow that led to the opening goal) but that was THE most one-sided umpiring performance against the Swans that I have ever attended. There is absolutely no doubt that it cost us the game. What makes matters worse though is that it clearly encourages grubs like Ballantyne to continue with playing the way they do. Do we want kids growing up learning to act like that in order to win games? He was validated by wretched umpiring.

Totally agree. The WA media will snigger and say what a "colourful character" Ballantyne is but his sort needs to be rubbed out. Cannot believe how umpires get sucked in by his antics.

Lucky Knickers
17th July 2011, 08:58 PM
Gerard Whately on ATB just commented that the umpiring will be the most talked about point out of the game. I hope so!

Aaron
17th July 2011, 09:04 PM
I have never been so angry about Umpiring. Just can't stand Chamberlin... Will writing to OPSM more effective than AFL?

Kirkari
17th July 2011, 09:16 PM
Can't believe Ritchie isn't rating a mention. Clearly he was in need for a Whistle-rectomy to extract it from his clacker.
Poor Sammy was touched up by McPharlin more than the Sunday Altar Boy (sorry for poor joke - am mad)

Shocking umpiring all round. Immediate investigation into any and all betting by any and all friends (ha ha ha -like they have any) and relatives of the umpires required. B-L-I-N-D and DELUSIONAL. Un be eff in leave a ball.

Bob Neil
17th July 2011, 09:25 PM
A wonderful display of obscure interpretation of the rules.
Unfortunately, it made me much less likely to take my kids to more games for a while.

mcs
17th July 2011, 09:34 PM
The umpiring today was absolutely woeful. Now I can understand they make mistakes and there is such a thing as '50-50' calls, but I can't take this rubbish where umpires have to be the centre of the game with the focus on them, not the players. Razor Ray was at his woeful worst today. Freo were the better team overall today, but fair dinkum some of the calls that went their way were ridiculous (especially the 12 point goal- that shoudl simply be a 'don't do that boys' and left at that, not a free). Really frustrated and he got the send off he deserved from the crowd. His other yellow maggoty friends weren't much better. An incredible amount of overofficiating today, combined with so interesting '50's', completely wrong calls and an alarming lack of consistency (until it was time to even the scales as it was getting a bit lop sided).

I don't pay good money to go watch umpires be involved at every opportunity. I pay money to watch footy and I just want the umpires to call what is there and should be called and let play go sometimes and let a few so called 'frees' that may be there but absolutely ridiculous go. Footy is at it's best when umpires are not discussed after the game - i.e. the best 22 players on the field have won the game fairly and squarly. Freo were the better team today, but some of those calls certainly helped them to victory as well.

Kirkari
17th July 2011, 09:36 PM
Most discraceful umpiring I have ever witnessed that influenced the outcome of the match! You know it is bad when Chamberlain was not the worst! Number 5 Brett Richie was abysmal!!!

Absolutely.

I've been to a few Swans games where they have been harshly dealt with by the maggots, but I can't recall hearing such loud and sustained booing of the umpires as there was from a relatively small crowd, as soon as the final siren sounded, until long after they disappeared up the race.

It was 100% warranted.

Congratulations Umpires, should be proud, today you were bigger than the game!

I am usually very unimpressed by negative cheering, but today I was vigorously joining with the boo-ers at the end of the game, and mildly comforted at the willingness of the Sydney crowd to express its displeasure. What a bunch of grandstanding clowns. That game was ruined. The outcome may not have changed but at least we could have watched some footy instead of some umpiring!

Nich
17th July 2011, 09:44 PM
You know they've had a bad day when I can honestly say, if we somehow won, I still would have given them a spray when they walked off.

Captain
17th July 2011, 09:51 PM
Probably the worst umpiring I have seen in my 30 years of watching the footy.

cos789
17th July 2011, 09:59 PM
Totally agree. The WA media will snigger and say what a "colourful character" Ballantyne is but his sort needs to be rubbed out. Cannot believe how umpires get sucked in by his antics.

Pro Dockers love the "bulldog" in Ballantyne and I have followed his progress from Peel (WAFL).
A criticism you might hear of him i(in WA)s that he gives away too many frees and umpires are onto him .
For the Dockers and Ballantyne especially to be given an armchair ride is wierd .

Bas
17th July 2011, 10:05 PM

On the other hand, he's dating someone named Monique. MORE REASON TO HATE (apologies if any RWOers' real names are 'Monique").

No offence taken Yuri.

Ray Chamber Potty shall be the name I call him from now on. How does a short man with obvious issues, try to get some leverage on the inequalities he feels he has in life. Obtain "power" at least on field for a short duration over tall muscular men- by becoming an AFL umpire.

I believe that this little creature is probably having a solicitor scouring these pages so he can further uplift his insecure existence.

What dimwit named him razor ray? razor as if.....

This is the problem with AFL and it's not the game getting faster or slower, pressed or unpressed, flooded or slowed.

Bas
17th July 2011, 10:08 PM
It was great to see all the fans give it to Chamber Potty as he went into the stands. Great photo's, I wondered if he soiled himself.

Kanga
17th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Swans tend to get the benefit of the umpiring decisions. so I don't see much to complain about. The ump's weren't the difference today.

CJK
17th July 2011, 10:25 PM
Swans tend to get the benefit of the umpiring decisions. so I don't see much to complain about. The ump's weren't the difference today.

Do shut up.

chalbilto
17th July 2011, 10:42 PM
And one other thing ... sick to death of the crap weather we've had in many home games this year.

Some have the mistaken belief we are a good wet weather team - we haven't been that good in the wet since back when the 'Syyyyydneeeyyyyy' chant was first uttered in West Coast swimming pool game many moons ago.

We lost the game today when the rains came in the third. Got the settings a bit closer to right in the downpour in the last, but was too late then.

I know this is not the gist of this thread but I agree wholehartedly with these comments. We are NOT skilful in the wet!!! Next week it gets worse, another home game and rain is forcast for the next 7 days. The weather gods are conspiring against us.

Big Al
17th July 2011, 10:47 PM

Take your trolling crap to Big Footy where it belongs.

chalbilto
17th July 2011, 10:49 PM

Honestly you have got to be kidding. I realize you are a North supporter but be repectful on the Swans fan forum site. I don't go on the Norths forum web site bagging North so show some dignity.

jono2707
17th July 2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the insight but please return back under the bridge and you never know, you might find whatever relevance your team has whilst you're there. This is not a good time to bait some pee'd off people following today's hatchet job...

Dan
17th July 2011, 10:52 PM

No

bloodsbigot
17th July 2011, 10:53 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Ray%20Chamberlain%20(large).JPG

If anyone sees this man in the street... spit on him... or shun him. Every time he goes into restaurants, leave. Refuse to serve him if he comes into your business.

penga
17th July 2011, 10:54 PM
The only thing resembling a razor that Chamberlain presents, is him being as painful as a blunt one!!

Little rat!!

jono2707
17th July 2011, 11:05 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Ray%20Chamberlain%20(large).JPG

If anyone sees this man in the street... spit on him... or shun him. Every time he goes into restaurants, leave. Refuse to serve him if he comes into your business.

I think that's a really offensive post - I mean really.... I'm about to go to bed and you post that picture of steaming doggie do? Thanks I'm gonna have nightmares about that little jerk now....

Big Al
17th July 2011, 11:07 PM
I think that's a really offensive post - I mean really.... I'm about to go to bed and you post that picture of steaming doggie do? Thanks I'm gonna have nightmares about that little jerk now....

Printer + Dartboard = Therapy

Frog
17th July 2011, 11:07 PM
I did not see the match, at this stage I do not know a score even, but I know we lost.

Can we all please take a deep breath.

Last thing we need is to have the Fat Controller shut us down because of someone going a bit too far.

May I ask you all, kindly, to settle? Please?

giant
17th July 2011, 11:09 PM
Brilliant!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chamberlain

Anyone here claiming responsibility?

Big Al
17th July 2011, 11:10 PM

No.

Carry on people. :) ;)

SwansFan1972
17th July 2011, 11:21 PM

The hell we do. We've been on the outer since Vlad declared his displeasure with how we showcased his plaything (otherwise known as the AFL) in 2005, and then changed the rules to bend us over from 2006 onwards.

Anyone remember the hands in the back rule (designed to thwart the Swans close checking one on one footy in 05 & 06). Became fingernails across the jersey while we were on top, but now the same rule gets routinely ignored. The quicker kick ins were also targetted specifically at the swans (to speed the game up) but now they have an interchange rule designed to slow the game down.

Not that anything can be proved of course!

The bigger issue for the AFL is how to convince NSW people to come and see the Giants, if AFL haters can point to inept officiating performances such as today's.

Today's game was either a poster game for over officiating and ineptitude, or it was the cause of 20 odd thousand at the ground, and plenty more away from it (as well as the voice of reason Gerard Whateley) suffering from a mass delusion. My money (since betting is de rigeur these days) is on the former.

bloodsbigot
17th July 2011, 11:21 PM

Sorry mate. I'll give a warning next time.

SwansFan1972
17th July 2011, 11:25 PM
I did not see the match, at this stage I do not know a score even, but I know we lost.

Last thing we need is to have the Fat Controller shut us down because of someone going a bit too far.

Watch the game. Then get back to us.

chalbilto
17th July 2011, 11:26 PM
Brilliant!

(clap)

Bas
17th July 2011, 11:27 PM

It's called find a friend, why else would he post here.

Can someone tie a chop around his neck so the dog will play with him.

mcs
17th July 2011, 11:30 PM
The hell we do. We've been on the outer since Vlad declared his displeasure with how we showcased his plaything (otherwise known as the AFL) in 2005, and then changed the rules to bend us over from 2006 onwards.

Anyone remember the hands in the back rule (designed to thwart the Swans close checking one on one footy in 05 & 06). Became fingernails across the jersey while we were on top, but now the same rule gets routinely ignored. The quicker kick ins were also targetted specifically at the swans (to speed the game up) but now they have an interchange rule designed to slow the game down.

Not that anything can be proved of course!

The bigger issue for the AFL is how to convince NSW people to come and see the Giants, if AFL haters can point to inept officiating performances such as today's.

Today's game was either a poster game for over officiating and ineptitude, or it was the cause of 20 odd thousand at the ground, and plenty more away from it (as well as the voice of reason Gerard Whateley) suffering from a mass delusion. My money (since betting is de rigeur these days) is on the former.

There was one Hands in the Back against I think it was White today that was ridiculous in my opinion. White literally put his hand up to balance, the Fweo player seemed to touch it for a millsecond, it made no difference to the play, Jesse took the mark and then had a free kick paid against him. To the absolute letter of the law its a free kick, but what sport do the boys play- netball or afl? Saying that Jesse looks like he'd excel at Netball, he seems to like to avoid all contact where possible.

The rule was changed no doubt to counter our tactics and screw us over, which is has royally done. To this day, I still don't think we've adapted well to the new rule.

Frog
17th July 2011, 11:53 PM
Watch the game. Then get back to us.
I run this site with ScottH - I am getting tired ... maybe I'll just let a few of you ruin it for all.

PS - I don't get to watch the game here. But here are a few sobering thoughts ... without the opposition, there wouldn't be a game - Without the umpires, there wouldn't be a game. If we played better and didn't catch the eye of the umpires for doing stupid things, this tread wouldn't have been started, nor be up to post 118 by now.

mcs
18th July 2011, 12:26 AM
Just watch the game first and then see if you have the same opinion. Granted your point is correct generally (ie. we do do stupid things, including today that do ask for the umpires to give frees against us), but the umpiring today was at best absolutely bewildering and at worst simply appaling.

Mel
18th July 2011, 12:30 AM
Brilliant!

Bwahahahaha! Classic! :D Cheers to whoever posted that :D

Frog
18th July 2011, 12:37 AM
Just watch the game first and then see if you have the same opinion. Granted your point is correct generally (ie. we do do stupid things, including today that do ask for the umpires to give frees against us), but the umpiring today was at best absolutely bewildering and at worst simply appaling.

I do not need to see the game to see the gist of this thread. I do not need to see the game to know I would probably agree with you. I do not need to see the game, just this thread, to be reminded of the AFL shutting down Hawk Headquarters in 2007 after an umpire thread went a little too far.

Which part of "I am trying to save RWO" do you people not understand???? Settle! Please.

robamiee
18th July 2011, 12:38 AM
the problem was it wans't just razor....it was the othere 2 idiots as well........i mean what the hell with that last 80 mt6r penalty (oops i mean 50)..learn to count ####head.....
the other thing is as well people have mentioned 4-5 goals from frees, by my reckoning it was 8 dubious goals from direct free kicks..
Their 1st 3 goals of the game were from free kicks including the 50.
1 against LRT in the ruck
the HTB against Ted
the free against Reg on the Angus Monfries of Fremantle
The throw at the end against REG
there was another 2 as well, 1 in the 2nd qtr and another in the 3rd....

so over half their score from free kicks...i dont think in the history of the game that has happened.
To top it off BT saying the umps have done a good job...notice how Roosy was awfully silent when he said it.....unfortunately he is in a diff posi when commentating on swans games to not be too biased....

yes i would liek to know where i can comntact the umpires dept re the game and voice my disapproval

unconfuseme
18th July 2011, 12:43 AM
I run this site with ScottH - I am getting tired ... maybe I'll just let a few of you ruin it for all.

PS - I don't get to watch the game here. But here are a few sobering thoughts ... without the opposition, there wouldn't be a game - Without the umpires, there wouldn't be a game. If we played better and didn't catch the eye of the umpires for doing stupid things, this tread wouldn't have been started, nor be up to post 118 by now.

I held the same opinion ... until today! ... I reckon if the players had officiated themselves, the game would have run more efficiently!

Bas
18th July 2011, 12:55 AM

Well you weren't at the game, nor have you watched it.

Thanks for your thoughts on why the game exists but you forgot one very and probably the most critical observation and that is without the fans paying their money and watching/attending games then your first two options would not exist. That is the MOST sobering fact after all.

It is true that when the team doesn't play well and in the case of a loss, supporters look for reasons other than the fact that they were out played by a better team. The point that most are making tonight are that some of the decisions made by two of the field umpires today were highly questionable. In a game were we played really badly and the final result was less than 2 goals then it does become significant.

They even mentioned the same fact on the Fox Sports After the Game programme tonight. I'm sure as the week progresses there will be more to come.

If the AFL wants to promote AFL to a rugby league region then they need to get their umpiring right. You don't get that as a problem in league. The odd try awarded unsighted doesn't really compare.

I understand what you're saying about the Hawks website and the AFL need to take responsibility of the actions of their own umpires. I'm not sure of the events of 2007 and how they compare to what happened today. I don't think most on here have not been overly critical.

mcs
18th July 2011, 01:03 AM
My apologies frog for misunderstanding where you were coming from. Should the Afl go down such a path as to shut down a forum because of criticism of what was seen by many as bewildering officiating, then that would be enough for me to hand in my membership and stop following footy. Of course there are lines that should not be crossed, but I don't think any have been necessarily crossed here but you are in a far better position to judge that. We live in a country of free speech and democracy and afl is a game that evokes passion and if we aren't free to express our feelings about something without having to fear the wrath of the afl, then frankly that is a very sad state of affairs.

Bas
18th July 2011, 01:11 AM
I agree with you mcs.

The poor invertebrates in this world that week in week out get compared to umpires is just unfair. :D

Frog
18th July 2011, 01:37 AM
Well you weren't at the game, nor have you watched it.
Correct

Thanks for your thoughts on why the game exists but you forgot one very and probably the most critical observation and that is without the fans paying their money and watching/attending games then your first two options would not exist. That is the MOST sobering fact after al.
Which is why every year fans from both teams complain about how few tickets are available for"fans paying their money" and everything goes to the sponsors and the corporates. When the AFL care about you and I, let me know.

It is true that when the team doesn't play well and in the case of a loss, supporters look for reasons other than the fact that they were out played by a better team. The point that most are making tonight are that some of the decisions made by two of the field umpires today were highly questionable. In a game were we played really badly and the final result was less than 2 goals then it does become significant.
This has not been an argument of any of my posts.

They even mentioned the same fact on the Fox Sports After the Game programme tonight. I'm sure as the week progresses there will be more to come.
I doubt very much there will be more to come. The fat controller loves his umpires. They are beyond reproach. You cannot (and they will defend them to the n-th degree) say anything bad about the umpires. I name James Hird, I name Michael Malthouse, I name any coach that has ever got a letter from the AFL to please explain after making a comment on the umpires. I could dig and find the amounts of fines these people paid for making a (truthful) comment. It doesn't matter how true it is, if you say anything bad about them,if you (slyly) comment about their performance, the AFL will come down on you like a ton of bricks. The umpiring fraternity is untouchable. They are above critisism - because the AFL says so. Get used to it.

If the AFL wants to promote AFL to a rugby league region then they need to get their umpiring right. You don't get that as a problem in league. The odd try awarded unsighted doesn't really compare.
See my comment above. The umpires are always right.

I understand what you're saying about the Hawks website and the AFL need to take responsibility of the actions of their own umpires. I'm not sure of the events of 2007 and how they compare to what happened today. I don't think most on here have not been overly critical.
A couple of weeks ago, in a gameday thread, I removed a post that (nearly) was a carbon copy of the post that eventually got the Hawks Headquarters board closed. This sort of thread (and the anger in it) sets a great environment for someone to post it again.

I don't care about the game, the umpires or the loss right now. I care that this thread does not go any further!!! I could close it, but you would only open another. I ask for restraint. That is all.

bodgie
18th July 2011, 02:24 AM
Does this forum accept sponsorship from the AFL? How can it be shut down?

nomae
18th July 2011, 02:25 AM
Will definitely be tuning into 'What's Your Decision' with Jeff Geischen on the AFL website this week.

Bleed Red Blood
18th July 2011, 02:27 AM
Does this forum accept sponsorship from the AFL? How can it be shut down?

I would like to know this too.

nomae
18th July 2011, 02:40 AM
I would like to know this too.

Just did a bit of research and it appears the Hawks fansite was temporarily shut down by the AFL through a loophole - they were using the AFL and Hawthorn trademarks on their site without permission and as such got their legal department all over them. The site is still up (I think), with only members allowed to view and post on the forums.

But still, I like RWO, let's not say anything stupid that would reflect poorly on our club.

top40
18th July 2011, 04:03 AM

Frog, I would be fascinated to know that legal basis that gives a private entity such as the AFL the right to close down a website! Please explain!

Also if you haven't seen the game, for heavens sake!

top40
18th July 2011, 04:06 AM

I assume the 'fat controller' is part of the old Soviet Union.It is one thing for players and club officials to be fined for negative commentary. But the AFL has no legal right to censure freedom of speech made by the general public not directly associated with it. Even the laws of defamation give you the RIGHT to say what you like; you just might be exposed in making a defamatory remark to being subject to a civil (aka private) law suit.

Rob-bloods
18th July 2011, 07:58 AM
So

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/razor-ray-an-afl-cult-figure/story-e6frf9jf-1111116616210

His fiancee Monique, whom he will marry in October, no longer goes to any of his games because she can't cope with the abuse dished out to the umpires, particularly her man.

What do you mean don't you remember Simon and Unique.......Les Girls he's marrying a tranny!

Big Al
18th July 2011, 08:25 AM
No way known can the AFL shut down a privately run website in a supposedly free country. However nor do we want to go to the lengths the Hawks website did. We are better than that. These threads are terrific to let off steam after a frustrating day.

giant
18th July 2011, 08:29 AM
There was one Hands in the Back against I think it was White today that was ridiculous in my opinion. White literally put his hand up to balance, the Fweo player seemed to touch it for a millsecond, it made no difference to the play, Jesse took the mark and then had a free kick paid against him. To the absolute letter of the law its a free kick, but what sport do the boys play- netball or afl? Saying that Jesse looks like he'd excel at Netball, he seems to like to avoid all contact where possible.

The rule was changed no doubt to counter our tactics and screw us over, which is has royally done. To this day, I still don't think we've adapted well to the new rule.

You could have lived with the Jesse decision as technical but soft if not for the fact there had been three absolutely blatant shoves in the back in the preceding THREE MINUTES leading up to that decision. Not little "I'll rest my hands here while I balance", but completely taking the player out with two hands forcibly into the back.

And then came the 50m penalty.

bloodsbigot
18th July 2011, 08:31 AM
Edit: Probably not appropriate for this site.

top40
18th July 2011, 08:40 AM
No way known can the AFL shut down a privately run website in a supposedly free country. However nor do we want to go to the lengths the Hawks website did. We are better than that. These threads are terrific to let off steam after a frustrating day.

Your last point is spot on. We are a democratic country where freedom of speech is permitted. The day there is censorship from not just the State, but from a private sporting administration (!!) is the day we can no longer claim to be a free, democratic country.

Big Al
18th July 2011, 08:47 AM
The frustrating thing about yesterday is that the 3 blind mice took the focus away from football and placed it squarely on themselves. Ray and his posse should watch the 05 Grand Final to see how to umpire a game that lets the players decide the contest. Not sure Rays ego would ever allow him to take a back seat in games and let the players be the focus. As I said, frustrating

Big Al
18th July 2011, 08:51 AM
(MOD EDIT - Frog : Quotes deleted post)

I stand by my opinion.

It was funny Primms, when the game was gone the Umpires starting giving frees to us and when we looked like winning the 80 metre free kick was pulled out. It's at least a roll eyes, scratch your head going wtf is going on moment if nothing else.

Nich
18th July 2011, 09:17 AM
Fell asleep last night singing this song. Woke up at 3am having a nightmare.

I'd do a youtube clip of Ray screwing up with this song as the backdrop but decided we already give him enough oxygen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ZEB0KiH9k

BigD
18th July 2011, 09:17 AM
Firstly, can I just say it's a good thing I waited until this morning to post as with the mood I was in last night I probably would have posted something that would have got me Thrown off this site or got the site shut down.

I have never been so disgusted with an umpiring performance in all the time I have closely followed AFL. Granted we did not play well but if not for the yellow filth we might have gotten away with a win. Since when is the rule book followed to the absolute letter of the law for one team only while the other is allowed to get away with murder. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SPC
18th July 2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by mcs on game day thread
It was certainly a throw, however its not the decision there that riles me, its the 1,365 instances of exactly the same thing happening in a game that don't get pulled up that annoy me. Every 2nd player throws the ball in tight contested footy like that, and imo it either should be pinged every time, or not at all (I prefer the second for the reason that at least the players would decide the result not the umpires). Tadgh was stupid to give away the 50, but it was a ridiculously harsh call , and as everyone has said it was more like an '80'. The other call that really riled me amongst others was the Teddy dragging the ball in free. Sure by the letter of the law it was a free kick- but what else is Teddy suppose to do but try and gain possession. There was no way he could kick it out in that pack or get a legal handball away, and if he had of left it there was a good possibility of a freo goal from it- so what exactly is Teddy suppose to do. Very harsh call and to a point a stupid rule.

Spot on mcs! And this is the point that will be missed when Geishen comes out and defends the individual 'contentious' decisions like he does every week. Its the plucking a technically correct decision out when they have been let go all day that sends everyone to the brink on days like yesterday. One thing that should be taken up is Rays offer to the Swans players to point out the ones he got wrong. It was in commentary while BT was praising Ray for giving it back to the players (BTW he has to be the biggest Muppet of any commentator, of any code of footy I have every seen, but I digress) and made us listen to how Ray was asking the Swans players who were blowing up about another one of his decisions. The Swans should not let the opportunity pass, because its one of the few times you get invited to give feedback on umpire performance. You would need to put in some work & go thru the whole game to highlight every decision that was technical but didnt get paid, then compare to the ones he paid. And the 12 point goal for holding the angry ant at bay while he was swinging like a dunny door, please!!! How many frees should be paid every week if that was one?

Frog
18th July 2011, 09:46 AM
People, various of the RWO members are using copyright images. We, as in the RWO admins, are allowing this and the AFL chooses to turn a blind eye. As was the case with the Hawthorn side, they WERE shut down by the AFL at the time with heavy handed solicitor letters, some of which we were, at the time, privvy to. The Hawks supporter website has since been re-started (which is why it looks like it was temporary). The site is new (run by the same people) but extremely restricted.

I say again, umpires think the game is about them. They are useless in most decisions. I DO NOT have to see the game to get the gist of what happened yesterday. Get that through your skulls!!!! Especially those of you that keep accusing me of not having seen the match and therefor I cannot comment here. I DO NOT CARE about the match. I CARE ABOUT THIS THREAD getting out of hand and some AFL officianado seeing this and taking offence. It doesn't take much in today's day and age. Last request. Settle. Please.

top40
18th July 2011, 09:56 AM
People, various of the RWO members are using copyright images. We, as in the RWO admins, are allowing this and the AFL chooses to turn a blind eye. As was the case with the Hawthorn side, they WERE shut down by the AFL at the time with heavy handed solicitor letters, some of which we were, at the time, privvy to. The Hawks supporter website has since been re-started (which is why it looks like it was temporary). The site is new (run by the same people) but extremely restricted.

I say again, umpires think the game is about them. They are useless in most decisions. I DO NOT have to see the game to get the gist of what happened yesterday. Get that through your skulls!!!! Especially those of you that keep accusing me of not having seen the match and therefor I cannot comment here. I DO NOT CARE about the match. I CARE ABOUT THIS THREAD getting out of hand and some AFL officianado seeing this and taking offence. It doesn't take much in today's day and age. Last request. Settle. Please.

I say again, Frog, what is the legal basis for a private, sporting administration shutting down a website? However you care about this thread, I would like to know the answer! Simply threats from solicitor's letters as what occurred with Hawthorn in the past is NOT a legal basis.

I say again, in a democratic nation that up holds freedom of speech, we have a RIGHT to state what we want. Even with the laws of civil defamation, (save and except that your words do not promote illegal actively such as violence), the RIGHT still exists.

Yes, you have a perfect right to comment about the umpiring even if you did not see the game. (It is just that there is no weight that one could possibly give to such an opinion)

jono2707
18th July 2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Frog - thanks for doing the work you do to keep this site going - I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does too. I think its important that we heed warnings such as yours and tone things down a bit. Post-match yesterday was for letting off steam but I agree that we should be careful not to go too far....

laughingnome
18th July 2011, 10:13 AM
Okay guys, it's Monday Morning and time to take a deep breath and move on. We can't change history, we can't get an umpire sacked and we have to win against the Bulldogs this weekend. Time to look forward to Saturday.

top40
18th July 2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Frog - thanks for doing the work you do to keep this site going - I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does too. I think its important that we heed warnings such as yours and tone things down a bit. Post-match yesterday was for letting off steam but I agree that we should be careful not to go too far....

Why?

Triple B
18th July 2011, 10:20 AM
I say again, Frog, what is the legal basis for a private, sporting administration shutting down a website? However you care about this thread, I would like to know the answer! Simply threats from solicitor's letters as what occurred with Hawthorn in the past is NOT a legal basis.

I say again, in a democratic nation that up holds freedom of speech, we have a RIGHT to state what we want. Even with the laws of civil defamation, (save and except that your words do not promote illegal actively such as violence), the RIGHT still exists.

Yes, you have a perfect right to comment about the umpiring even if you did not see the game. (It is just that there is no weight that one could possibly give to such an opinion)

With respect top40, Frog's position the whole time has just been to ask people not to set a foot over the line.

The possibility of anything legal coming of any umpire/AFL bashing thread is so minimal it is barely measurable, but you know what, if it happens it won't be me or you having to answer any case, it will be the owners, Frog and Scott.

I really don't believe there was anything in the thread which could reasonably cause a problem. I reckon the title of the thread is as defamatory as anything written. Mind you, if Frog ended up in court about the title, he'd have no end of witnesses prepared to swear on the bible that the title is correct. It's just that he doesn't care to end up in court, that's all.

As for your last sentence, I don't believe Frog at anytime offered a comment on the performance of the umpires, not sure what you're on about there.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:30 AM
You are kidding me Frog? It's bad enough the fat Cyprian bastard controls the media and tries to engineer the code and the media how he thinks it should be run, much like some kind of dictatorship, but now you are fearing reprisal from the AFL, who happen to be just a sporting organisation who hold no power nor can uphold the law, just because we dare to question the integrity of the code, the umpires and this @@@@ty code in general?

Your reaction is typical of how the AFL wants it's supporters and those working within the AFL to react. With fear.

Are you seriously scared that a mock letter from Australian Farcical League asking you to tell members of this site to stop slagging and being negativity towards the stupid code? Are you really that worried? Do you see them as some quasi Gestapo?

Seriously Frog you must live a very sedated and restrictive life if you are scared of the AFL.

Sheesh.

liz
18th July 2011, 10:30 AM
Following up from Frog's comments in thread, comments accusing corruption or similar are not on. While the chance of legal action might be low, it is not zero. I have deleted two such posts this morning. Everyone should take this as a broad warning. If I have to delete any more, an infraction will also be coming the way of whoever posts such a comment.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:32 AM
With respect top40, Frog's position the whole time has just been to ask people not to set a foot over the line.

The possibility of anything legal coming of any umpire/AFL bashing thread is so minimal it is barely measurable, but you know what, if it happens it won't be me or you having to answer any case, it will be the owners, Frog and Scott.

I really don't believe there was anything in the thread which could reasonably cause a problem. I reckon the title of the thread is as defamatory as anything written. Mind you, if Frog ended up in court about the title, he'd have no end of witnesses prepared to swear on the bible that the title is correct. It's just that he doesn't care to end up in court, that's all.

As for your last sentence, I don't believe Frog at anytime offered a comment on the performance of the umpires, not sure what you're on about there.

Do you honestly believe the AFL will take the owners of a fan forum to court? If so it will be the first of any kind.

Yes frog might receive a cease and decease letter but that's about it.

The hawks case was nothing more than scare tactics.

jono2707
18th July 2011, 10:33 AM
Why?

Why should I thank Frog? Because he is one one of the moderators of this site and the people that keep RWO going are doing a great job.

Why should we take care with what we are saying and tone things down a bit? Because participants in RWO come from all walks of life and are of all ages and genders. I think when you post on a site like this you should try not to be overly offensive and we should keep the tone somewhat above that which would be used on, for example, a Collingwood supporters site. Although I don't believe anything has been said yet that has gone too far, defamatory comments on sites like this can get the site administrators in trouble and we should just be mindful of what a great resource RWO is.

That said, I somehow don't think a certain R. Chamberlain will be getting this Saturday's match in Sydney...... He should have a game or two in the VFL or the NEAFL to work on his skills.....

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:33 AM
Following up from Frog's comments in thread, comments accusing corruption or similar are not on. While the chance of legal action might be low, it is not zero. I have deleted two such posts this morning. Everyone should take this as a broad warning. If I have to delete any more, an infraction will also be coming the way of whoever posts such a comment.

You are kidding me?

I honestly think forum mods really have a limited life, so they try to enforce rules to the rest of us.

What is wrong with this thread?

Bas
18th July 2011, 10:38 AM

I can't recall reading anything accusing corruption. Saying Freo had a 23rd player on the field is hardly corruption.

Incompetence is another story.

Sauce
This thread sums up watching the sydney swans.

Anybody daring to show any bit of emotion and passion is frowned upon.

We must sit there, clap and are only allowed two cheers per qrt.

Anyone else daring to show a bit of emotion and passion are nothing but collingwood supporters.

Triple B
Do you honestly believe the AFL will take the owners of a fan forum to court? If so it will be the first of any kind.

Yes frog might receive a cease and decease letter but that's about it.

The hawks case was nothing more than scare tactics.

No I don't believe it, that's why I wrote "The possibility of anything legal coming of any umpire/AFL bashing thread is so minimal it is barely measurable".

But I do believe as the owner, Frog has the right to ask people not to go too far with comments which may cause him to recieve a 'cease and decease letter'(sic). He asked nothing more than that.

top40
18th July 2011, 10:40 AM

So much for freedom of speech.

There is no chance that the ALF could pull down this website.

Yes, there could be an exposure to defamation. But let's get real here, to sue in a practical basis, the defendant would have to have the resources to pay for the damages and costs. Further such action would represent an expensive, public relations disaster.

Bas
18th July 2011, 10:43 AM
You are kidding me?

I honestly think forum mods really have a limited life, so they try to enforce rules to the rest of us.

What is wrong with this thread?

What's this, what's this ?????????

You're not accusing forum mods of ray chamberlain like behaviour are you? ;)

I'm going back to control my kingdom now. King Bas says his royal subjects await his breakfast call. Who dreamt up pupil free days anyway?????. Bugger, I'm blaming ray for that too.

Melbournehammer
18th July 2011, 10:44 AM
So much for freedom of speech

Oh give it a rest. Freedom of speech has always been limited. Go to hyde Park corner if you want to say whatever you want. Acknowledge you are in someone else's house and play by the rules.

if you dont want to there are other houses...

Anyway its time to move on from the umpiring. They were awful. They influenced the outcome too significantly. The decisions favoured one team over the other.

But had the team showed as much desire earlier in the game they may well have won it, in spite of the umpiring.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:45 AM
So much for freedom of speech

Is nothing more than a few words which hold no meaning on an online forum run by mods.

I seriously see nothing wrong with this thread, if anything it shows the swans fans as being genuine and very passionate about football.

Jesse Richards
18th July 2011, 10:46 AM
The king is in his altogether.

ScottH
18th July 2011, 10:50 AM
From the RWO rules:

7) Legal issues

a) The Moderator / Administrator group will keep a very close eye on threads discussing rumours or anything that could be potentially libellous. Moderators and Administrators are not interested in the chance of legal action regardless of how small - if deemed that there is ANY threat to RWO potentially, we will come down hard on it.

b) Due to potential issues of copyright infringement and the potential legal implications, posting of complete articles is NOT permitted. If necessary, post a link to the article. Where appropriate, you may quote sections of the article to aid in discussion.

c) Due to potential issues of copyright infringement and potential legal implications, posting of links to "live streaming (of AFL games)" and "AFL content" sites that are not AFL endorsed is NOT permitted. Posts with such links will be removed immediately and infraction points will be issued.

These are not new just re written to be more explicit.
Even under Des, the view was if there was the slightest chance of any legal ramifications, posts/threads would be removed.
Nothing has changed.

We are not scared of the AFL.
WE DO NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN ANY LEGAL ISSUES. EVEN IF IT IS JUST A FEW EMAILS.
These things take up time and effort on OUR part.
It is STRESS that neither myself or Frog wish to receive.
We would both prefer to take the site offline than have to deal with some toffee nose legal team.
Thus I do not wish to take it offline. But that is your choice.

Vent all you want, but Think before posting.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:57 AM
From the RWO rules:

These are not new just re written to be more explicit.
Even under Des, the view was if there was the slightest chance of any legal ramifications, posts/threads would be removed.
Nothing has changed.

We are not scared of the AFL.
WE DO NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN ANY LEGAL ISSUES. EVEN IF IT IS JUST A FEW EMAILS.
These things take up time and effort on OUR part.
It is STRESS that neither myself or Frog wish to receive.
We would both prefer to take the site offline than have to deal with some toffee nose legal team.
Thus I do not wish to take it offline. But that is your choice.

Vent all you want, but Think before posting.

Sorry but you should have thought about the stress it will bring you when you decided to take over or to start an online forum.

I still see no problems in this thread. We are all discussing, albeit passionately, about facts that occured during the game.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 10:58 AM
BTW take the site offline - someone else will start another one.

Thats the interwebs.

Jesse Richards
18th July 2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Moderators.
Just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the job you do, and any decisions that you make for the good of the site. Someone has to take responsibility for drawing the line. What to one person may not appear to be going too far, someone else may be able to see possible consequences - legal or otherwise. You guys know about this through your experience and having to keep up abreast of what is happening here and elsewhere. As far as I am concerned you guys and gals do the work to keep this site going and it wouldn't happen without you and I am happy to respect your decisions about what does and doesn't appear on the site or in any particular thread.
Thanks again
Jess

ernie koala
18th July 2011, 11:06 AM
Those that watched the game know the umpiring was inconsistent and heavily weighted against the Swans, and possibly cost us the match.... but I think it's time to move on....
The Swans played with desperation, urgency and total commitment for the latter part of the 2nd quarter, and the latter half of the last quarter....about 1 quarter in total.
During those periods we dominated nearly every contest and on the score board....regardless of the umpiring.
If the Swans had played that way for most of the game we would of won easily.....regardless of the umpiring.
If we get a 4 quarter effort next week, we'll beat the Dogs.....regardless of the umpiring.

ScottH
18th July 2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry but you should have thought about the stress it will bring you when you decided to take over or to start an online forum.

I still see no problems in this thread. We are all discussing, albeit passionately, about facts that occured during the game.

Running the site is 99.9% stress free.
I'm not exactly pullling my hair out.

You see no problems. We see potential issues.

nomae
18th July 2011, 11:22 AM

BTW take the site offline - someone else will start another one.

Thats the interwebs.

Perhaps you can start up a site of your own, costing your own time and money, and then we can all criticise you for it?

You seem very childish in that you moan about how the mods run the site yet without them this discourse would not even exist. These guys have taken time out of their own lives to set up a site in which all of us have the ability to participate in discussions regarding a subject that, for a lot of us, is our most passionate interest. This is something that is often not possible in the rugby-dominated state of nsw, as I'm sure you're aware of.

You agreed to the rules when you signed up; the mods moderate, that's why they are call mods. If you don't like it head over to bigfooty and complain there.

top40
18th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Oh give it a rest. Freedom of speech has always been limited. Go to hyde Park corner if you want to say whatever you want. Acknowledge you are in someone else's house and play by the rules.

if you dont want to there are other houses...

Anyway its time to move on from the umpiring. They were awful. They influenced the outcome too significantly. The decisions favoured one team over the other.

But had the team showed as much desire earlier in the game they may well have won it, in spite of the umpiring.

What was annoying me was this broadbrush, holistic approach that we should 'tone it down' Yes, there are limitatations to freedom of speech. However, it would more appropriator for such limitations to spelt out.

On a legal basis the following comments should be SPECIFICALLY censored:

1. A comment that insights an illegal action. (I have thus far not seen such a comment on this thread)

2. A comment that is both false and likely to negatively impact on the reputation in the wider community of a person or identy. (Personally, (and others may have a different view here, I have yet to sight such a comment on this thead).

Lets not start in a general, unspecific way, acting like a nanny state. If there are limitations to commentary, they should be specifically set out.

And if for some reason, the moderators want to otherwise censor commentary here, yes, they are perfectly entitled to do so. It would not however make for much a websight if it was done without a proper basis.

Scottee
18th July 2011, 11:30 AM

Surely Liz, as long as a person makes it clear that it is only their opion that someone is corrupt (hypothetically speaking of course) there can be no legal imputation that someone is actually corrupt (hypothetically speaking of course);and that if it is only their opinion that gambling interests may have got hold of the game (hypothetially speaking of course); and that the rules have been mishandled to such an extent that it is easy to manipulate results without being held acountable (hypothetiacally speaking of course); and that the end result may be a loss of popularity of AFL in NSW where it is up against codes with much clearer sets of rules that (in the opion of some) and the diminishment of the game overall, then there would be no basis, herenotwithstanding, for the implementation of legal action?

ScottH
18th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Unfounded accusations make a pretty fair case for libel in my book.

Hartijon
18th July 2011, 11:41 AM
Since I can remember,this is as stirred up posters have got about an umpire. Even trying to be objective ,one cannot help but note the egotistical approach . My American mate kept saying"We should not be discussing this guy,we should not even know his name.What's his problem?"

It was an exceptionally strange umpiring performance for any sport and changed the course of the game. Nobody wants to watch a sport where the result is decided by one sided refereeing.The AFL should come down hard on this!

Sauce
18th July 2011, 11:51 AM
The AFL should come down hard on this!

They won't.What they will do is instruct the umps to pay attention to something else next week and to ignore what they would have otherwise paid a free yesterday. It happens all the time with this code and it's become a massive bugbear. The frustrating thing about it is..feeling powerless about it all. But i have decided this year to not attend one single game nor give the AFL any money what's so ever. Sure it won't effect the AFL but it's a little win for me.

I wish there were more fans willing to do the same. But the AFL has the fans by the gonads..tyhreating with killing of clubs etc if fans dont sign up. That is complete bullcrap, especially after the billion $ tv rights. As if the AFL will allow one of its clubs to die!

Again i will say it, the AFL has lost so much creditability and respect this year. It's clear as day that the AFL is run like a multi-million $ business. It looks after it's most valuable asset, which in this case is the collingwood magpies. The popularity of this pathetic club has compromised the rest of the comp. I have never ever followed a code where the draw or "fixture" is tailored for one club only to maximise profits for itself and the code. I cannot believe the AFL allows other clubs, mainly the poorer clubs, to request 2 "home games" a year against the pies - just so they can maximise profits. Everything in the AFL is tailored for collingwood..everything. Even players breaking the codes laws are treated differently if they play for collingwood.

This needs to stop in order for the code to gain respect. There is a reason why this stupid code is nothing more than a provincial sport and why the majority of people in the Northern states despise it.

Dan
18th July 2011, 11:51 AM
Horse may have something to say
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/swans-ponder-quiet-chat-with-refs-fans-were-less-polite-on-the-day-20110717-1hk8b.html

Big Al
18th July 2011, 11:55 AM
Since I can remember,this is as stirred up posters have got about an umpire. Even trying to be objective ,one cannot help but note the egotistical approach . My American mate kept saying"We should not be discussing this guy,we should not even know his name.What's his problem?"

It was an exceptionally strange umpiring performance for any sport and changed the course of the game. Nobody wants to watch a sport where the result is decided by one sided refereeing.The AFL should come down hard on this!

I have been watching AFL since the 1977 tied Grand Final which started my love affair with the game. I never seen an Umpiring performance as bad as the one yesterday. When it's bad both ways you cope with it because like players Umpires can have off days. What really irks most people is the one sided nature of the Umpiring and the out of control ego of one particular umpire. You get to the end of such a game and you think, why do I even bother anymore. Of course I'll be at the SCG next Saturday and go another round but really sometimes you question whether it's worth it.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 11:59 AM
I have been watching AFL since the 1977 tied Grand Final which started my love affair with the game. I never seen an Umpiring performance as bad as the one yesterday. When it's bad both ways you cope with it because like players Umpires can have off days. What really irks most people is the one sided nature of the Umpiring and the out of control ego of one particular umpire. You get to the end of such a game and you think, why do I even bother anymore. Of course I'll be at the SCG next Saturday and go another round but really sometimes you question whether it's worth it.

I have seen worst umpiring than what was on display yesterday.

Have we forgot how the bombers won a close game at the SCG in 2007 when McPhee's foot was clearly over the line?

Umpiring has always been crap in Australian Rules but the standards are being lowered each week, with a new low set each week.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 12:00 PM
You get to the end of such a game and you think, why do I even bother anymore. Of course I'll be at the SCG next Saturday and go another round but really sometimes you question whether it's worth it.

These are the exact emotions the AFL bank on and why the AFL at the moment is one big huge out of control ego on a power trip.

jono2707
18th July 2011, 12:00 PM
Running the site is 99.9% stress free.
I'm not exactly pullling my hair out.

You see no problems. We see potential issues.

Hey Scott thanks to you too for running this site. I really appreciate being able to participate in a forum that is interesting, informative and sometimes just good fun. It is perfectly appropriate for the mods of a forum such as this to gently remind posters of what is getting close to crossing the line. I don't know why some people think it's appropriate to argue this point with you guys but I guess you get the odd person who thinks they should keep stirring the pot.

Anyway keep up the good work.....

Big Al
18th July 2011, 12:02 PM
Have we forgot how the bombers won a close game at the SCG in 2007 when McPhee's foot was clearly over the line?
Umpiring has always been crap in Australian Rules but the standards are being lowered each week, with a new low set each week.

No, I compared yesterday with that particular travesty against the Bombers and believe yesterday was worse. Simply because we copped dodgy decisions from the outset. Not much in it though.

Scottee
18th July 2011, 12:05 PM

Ive been watching avidly since 1965 and never seen anything as blatant as yeterday. The game is in serious shape if it can't do anything about this.

ScottH
18th July 2011, 12:09 PM

Like the player pool being stretched, the umpire pool will be stretched as well with more games per weekend.

Hey Scott thanks to you too for running this site. I really appreciate being able to participate in a forum that is interesting, informative and sometimes just good fun. It is perfectly appropriate for the mods of a forum such as this to gently remind posters of what is getting close to crossing the line. I don't know why some people think it's appropriate to argue this point with you guys but I guess you get the odd person who thinks they should keep stirring the pot.

Anyway keep up the good work.....

Thanks Jono, and others for their show of support.
We do our best to keep everyone pleased, but sometimes that is not possible.

Bas
18th July 2011, 12:09 PM

Brought back memories of a 1997 game against Adelaide I think when Filandia run over the boundary line and it wasn't his foot that fell out.

I still remember James Hird commenting something about Shetland Pony.

Where is Peter these days? Probably like a dog at a bone about something in life!!!

Captain
18th July 2011, 12:25 PM
Why don't the owners just delete the posts which could cause them trouble and let the rest of us whinge (legally) about the pathetic umpiring?

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 12:25 PM

Ok - but surely the fact the thread exists at all tells you something is out of kilter here. It isn't as if one such as this pops up every week.

And sure, if people are overstepping the mark you should reel them in, but if your intention was to settle people down, your style was likely to have the opposite effect.

Hartijon
18th July 2011, 12:30 PM
Not dtracting anything from the apalling perforamce of the Umpires,a major problem with the game is that we have too many rules open to subjective interpretation.

Holding the Ball. The Umpire has to judge intent so players over emphasise their attempt to punch the ball even though they know they can't. If they don't its HTB!
Dumb Rule!

Hands in the back: The Umpire pays a free when the front placed player moves back and the player at the back is just holding his spot
Dumb Rule

Diving on the Ball and not clearing it: Players hold the ball under the player and stop him clearing it
Dumb Rule

Holding : Last person to let go gets pinged eg LRT
Dumb Rule

In the back: Diving specialists,eg Chapman , always fall forward like they have been pushed in the back:Needs looking at

50 metre Rule: Need markers on the fence line to get it exactly 50! Too harsh and dumb rule.

I'll stop there but there are a few more no doubt

Mike_B
18th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Horse may have something to say
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/swans-ponder-quiet-chat-with-refs-fans-were-less-polite-on-the-day-20110717-1hk8b.html

Dunno who the writer/sub-editor thinks he'll be talking to, unless it's one of those blokes in pink with a whistle in the NRL. They're UMPIRES in AFL :rolleyes:

MadCanuck
18th July 2011, 12:36 PM
Wow, I've never seen such vitriol on this site, not even during the 'great Davis debates'. I wouldn't expect any 'disciplinary' action any time soon for Razor however and in fact I'd expect just the opposite. Expect to hear comments like these from league HQ in the next 24 hours:

"Great call - calls them as he sees them"
"Made the tough calls irregardless of team, time of game, or position on field"
"Kept a tight lid on a tight, and sometimes emotional, contest"
Etc

Let's lighten up. Ray adds a little colour to the game. Like most, I was furious at some of those decisions yesterday but in the scheme of things it's just a game and I look forward to getting all worked up again next week!
I

top40
18th July 2011, 12:40 PM
Not dtracting anything from the apalling perforamce of the Umpires,a major problem with the game is that we have too many rules open to subjective interpretation.

Holding the Ball. The Umpire has to judge intent so players over emphasise their attempt to punch the ball even though they know they can't. If they don't its HTB!
Dumb Rule!

Hands in the back: The Umpire pays a free when the front placed player moves back and the player at the back is just holding his spot
Dumb Rule

Diving on the Ball and not clearing it: Players hold the ball under the player and stop him clearing it

Dumb Rule

Dumb Rule

In the back: Diving specialists,eg Chapman , always fall forward like they have been pushed in the back:Needs looking at

50 metre Rule: Need markers on the fence line to get it exactly 50! Too harsh and dumb rule.

Some excellent points raised. The problem is virtually every minute of a game an umpire is left to make 50:50 grey area decisions. They might nearly always get them technically correct. Yet an opportunity exists to favour one side over the other. Not sure what the answer is, save culling some of these rules.

aardvark
18th July 2011, 12:41 PM
Ray adds a little colour to the game.

I really don't think the game needs that sort of colour. A good umpire is rarely noticed, not the centre of attention.

desredandwhite
18th July 2011, 12:46 PM
Sigh. This old chestnut again.

Folks, the mods are erring on the side of caution. Why? Because no one wants the hassle of having to talk to the AFL about potentially libellous situations. The intention is NOT to stifle discussion or to censor the internet. Just be aware that there is a line and it's not too difficult to stay just on the right side of that line.

Let's move on. There's another game we can stuff up this weekend against the Bulldogs and our energy should be instead expended on arguing over whether Jesse White should be dropped forever (yes, but only to the NEAFL where he can inflate his potential trade value by thrashing ACT league players), or whether we should bring back TDL (yes, we need someone with goal-sense and is a natural forward), or who we can bring back from reserves to continually bait Barry Hall in the hopes of getting multiple free kicks (come on down Paul Bevan)

ScottH
18th July 2011, 12:52 PM
Why don't the owners just delete the posts which could cause them trouble and let the rest of us whinge (legally) about the pathetic umpiring?

As much as we don't like removing posts, or part posts, it has been happening.

Bas
18th July 2011, 01:06 PM
Let's move on. There's another game we can stuff up this weekend against the Bulldogs and our energy should be instead expended on arguing over whether Jesse White should be dropped forever (yes, but only to the NEAFL where he can inflate his potential trade value by thrashing ACT league players), or whether we should bring back TDL (yes, we need someone with goal-sense and is a natural forward), or who we can bring back from reserves to continually bait Barry Hall in the hopes of getting multiple free kicks (come on down Paul Bevan)

I agree. I'm starting to whinge about our next loss now.

It removes the intensity of the emotion that way.

Forget about a forward line, who can we develop to become a serial pest?

Damn Dogs and Bloody Barry Biffo kicking 6 goals after he said he was going to retire. At least we can't blame the umpires this week. Another 4 goal loss.

What about that long haired kid. Thank God we dumped Cheese.

Feeling better already ! :D

Mel_C
18th July 2011, 02:05 PM
After the disgraceful ROK HTB decision, I've given him both barrels when he's come to the boundary - and he's had a sly smile when he's heard me.

A few years back when we played Carlton at Etihad I was sitting behind the swans bench right near the race where the umpires go off. Instead of paying HTB against Judd he paid in the back when it clearly wasn't. When he came off at half time I yelled out to him that he would be umpiring in the reserves the next week. He game me that same sly smile!

I am still worked up after yesterday's game :mad:.

Bas
18th July 2011, 02:08 PM
A few years back when we played Carlton at Etihad I was sitting behind the swans bench right near the race where the umpires go off. Instead of paying HTB against Judd he paid in the back when it clearly wasn't. When he came off at half time I yelled out to him that he would be umpiring in the reserves the next week. He game me that same sly smile!

I am still worked up after yesterday's game :mad:.

The smile is becuase he has got the very response he has wanted. You're better off giving him praise even if you don't mean it. That will get under his skin.

Matimbo
18th July 2011, 02:15 PM
Did anyone watch the game on Ch 7? At one point Roos started to criticise Chamberlain and was saying something like "it seems like he needs to explain his decisions to the players far more than other umpires". The other commentator cut him off quick smart and said "I think he's a magnificent umpire". The level of discomfort in the commentary box was obvious.

On a more general note, I'm a Sydney-sider from birth and grew up following rugby league. I came across to AFL and the Swans in the last 15 years but continue to also follow league. What I have noticed in this time is that league refereeing has improved enormously, including the introduction of video decisions, whereas AFL has stood still since they went to 3 umpires a long time ago. The only other major sport I know of that has worse refereeing/umpiring than AFL is soccer, which I can't bring myself to watch for this reason. If Dimitiriou is serious about capturing the hearts and minds of western Sydney league die-hards, something will have to change. I can't imagine these fans putting up with biased grandstanding like we witnessed yesterday. For those as old as me, Chamberlain reminds me of ego-driven league referees like Greg Hartley who were driven out of the game long ago.

Sauce
18th July 2011, 02:26 PM
Did anyone watch the game on Ch 7? At one point Roos started to criticise Chamberlain and was saying something like "it seems like he needs to explain his decisions to the players far more than other umpires". The other commentator cut him off quick smart and said "I think he's a magnificent umpire". The level of discomfort in the commentary box was obvious.

As i mentioned earlier - the afl sent out a directive to all media regarding their critiques of umps. Hence why Roosy was cut off. Obviously Roosy doesnt suffer fools and is his own person and ignored the directive..or it was sent whilst he was sking with tammi and the boys and no one at FOX briefed him when he came back. But it was sent and written in a stern way..much like a person with absolute power tries to dictate events in the real world. The AFL is on such a huge massive power trip atm.

On a more general note, I'm a Sydney-sider from birth and grew up following rugby league. I came across to AFL and the Swans in the last 15 years but continue to also follow league. What I have noticed in this time is that league refereeing has improved enormously, including the introduction of video decisions, whereas AFL has stood still since they went to 3 umpires a long time ago. The only other major sport I know of that has worse refereeing/umpiring than AFL is soccer, which I can't bring myself to watch for this reason. If Dimitiriou is serious about capturing the hearts and minds of western Sydney league die-hards, something will have to change. I can't imagine these fans putting up with biased grandstanding like we witnessed yesterday. For those as old as me, Chamberlain reminds me of ego-driven league referees like Greg Hartley who were driven out of the game long ago.

I totoally agree in regards to League. I used to watch a LOT of league back in the 80s and early 90s and still remember the days of one Greg "Hollywood" Hartley. One of the main reasons why I stopped watching. I recently watched a game of NRL and the refereeing was really good. They have cleaned up a lot of grey areas to the point it makes watching league bearable again. In contrast the AFL have had issues with umpires for a gazillion years now. To think umps in AFL are still amateur baffles me.

I am in the same position i was with RL with the AFL. Too much off field crap, a power hungry AFL lead by a megalomaniac who has surrounded himself with yes men have contributed to my increasing angst and dislike of the code which i once fell in love with.

Triple B
18th July 2011, 02:28 PM
Fair dinkum Sauce, that deleted post was pretty ordinary, even by your low standards.

Triple B
18th July 2011, 02:30 PM
..... For those as old as me, Chamberlain reminds me of ego-driven league referees like Greg Hartley who were driven out of the game long ago.

Not surprisingly, Hartley was also vertically challenged. It explains so much...

SPC
18th July 2011, 02:38 PM

Yep, it was BT that headed off any discussion about the decisions (that put the umpires in a negative light) and then went on for the rest of the call to praise Chamberlain for his ability to take the players on. Its like we had Geishan & Anderson in the box doing the head office spin and try to stop Roos commenting on the umpire??

The other big difference between AFL & NRL is that the NRL media will rip referees, NRL officials & clubs apart, whereas the mainly Melbourne based media for AFL seem to be more of a fan club and rarely seem to take anyone from AFL house on, especially the umpires. Not sure if Demetriou keeps them on a short lease somehow or if they are just gutless?

CJK
18th July 2011, 03:45 PM
Sauce
Suspended by the MRP

Does this mean what I hope it means?

So something good did come out of yesterday's debacle.

top40
18th July 2011, 03:51 PM
Yep, it was BT that headed off any discussion about the decisions (that put the umpires in a negative light) and then went on for the rest of the call to praise Chamberlain for his ability to take the players on. Its like we had Geishan & Anderson in the box doing the head office spin and try to stop Roos commenting on the umpire??

The other big difference between AFL & NRL is that the NRL media will rip referees, NRL officials & clubs apart, whereas the mainly Melbourne based media for AFL seem to be more of a fan club and rarely seem to take anyone from AFL house on, especially the umpires. Not sure if Demetriou keeps them on a short lease somehow or if they are just gutless?

It is this type of censorship that really worries me, and why I was so much on the front foot about it in the context of this thread. I accept that players, coaches, club officials have to be quiet. I also accept with some reservations, fines being allocated for such commentary.

I can't however abide by the concept of the media/press and us-the general public via this website, being censored. It represents too much power and is an afront to 'reasonable', (in case I am told to go to Hyde Park again), freedom of speech, in what is supposed to be a democratic, free society.

Mountain Man
18th July 2011, 03:57 PM
I want to add my thanks to the site moderators, and those that keep it going through their postings.

I think this is a fantastic site for gaining insights into the Swans, their players, and getting an appreciation of AFL generally.

In relation to this thread, I haven't learnt much - I think I already knew we played badly, only lost by 11 points, and we had more frees 'against' than 'for'.

Surely other topics can be more informative and interesting.

Thanks again to the site administrators for all their effort and good work.

Untamed Snark
18th July 2011, 04:14 PM
I want to add my thanks to the site moderators, and those that keep it going through their postings.

I think this is a fantastic site for gaining insights into the Swans, their players, and getting an appreciation of AFL generally.In relation to this thread, I haven't learnt much - I think I already knew we played badly, only lost by 11 points, and we had more frees 'against' than 'for'.

This.
And a quite sorry if we cause too much trouble-please don't send us to our rooms

ScottH
18th July 2011, 04:14 PM

I think this is a fantastic site for gaining insights into the Swans, their players, and getting an appreciation of AFL generally.

In relation to this thread, I haven't learnt much - I think I already knew we played badly, only lost by 11 points, and we had more frees 'against' than 'for'.

Thank you, MM.
It's nice to get positive feedback occasionally!!

PS: Untamed snark, go to your room and don't come out. Until 2pm Saturday!! (Thanks)

top40
18th July 2011, 06:37 PM
Thank you, MM.

PS: Untamed snark, go to your room and don't come out. Until 2pm Saturday!! (Thanks)

I also wish to extend my thanks to the administrators. I know you guys not only do your best, but you to a great job. I am just a little touchy about the issue of possible censorship from a powerful organisation like the AFL.

Wardy
18th July 2011, 06:59 PM

And her brothers are Rugby leagues Monahans (I think they are still running around in the NRL somewhere) Virtically challenged Ray was obviously too short for the chair when he went for his eye examination at OPSM!

erica
18th July 2011, 07:10 PM
From the Swans on FaceBook:
"A lot of passionate debate about the umpiring yesterday Swans fans, and we can tell you that coach John Longmire this morning emailed AFL umpires boss Jeff Gieschen with a list of queries about a number of decisions that led to Fremantle goals. We understand the AFL is likely to say something publicly in response tomorrow so keep your ears out!"

ugg
18th July 2011, 07:23 PM
I can pre empt the Giesch's response now

They were all correct

Wardy
18th July 2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you, MM.

Scott & Frog are very patient with us so thanks for a top job boys - and peeps I'd rather Frog & Scott so letsBe thankful that a certain tall boring Greens politician isn't a mod - we wouldn't be able to say anything!!!;):D

annew
18th July 2011, 07:48 PM
BT on 3AW said Swans fans were protesting unnecesssarily as Razor Ray did a great job keeping 2 young umpires under control.

Panttz
18th July 2011, 07:53 PM
Please just call him Ray. The nickname has obviously gone to his head.

giant
18th July 2011, 07:56 PM

They were all correct

It's like you're psychic!

giant
18th July 2011, 08:02 PM

Agree whole-heartedly with this.

Bollox to this. Except for a 15 min period on Q3 we were the better side yesterday. But whereas we had to bite & scrap & scratch for every goal (partly the conditions, partly our own fault, partly Freo having 18 men in our half for most of the game), they were gifted a goal many times they went inside 50. In 30 years of watching footy, I could count on one hand the games I've seen that have been decided by umps - yesterday would be high up in that list

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 09:43 PM
BT on 3AW said Swans fans were protesting unnecesssarily as Razor Ray did a great job keeping 2 young umpires under control.

BT would have screamed blue murder if his beloved pies were served up rubbish officiating like yesterday. It would never happen at the MCG though - the umpies know they wouldn't get out in one piece down there.

On one point I can agree with him. Ray certainly led his junior colleagues - they dutifully followed him to the letter - all three of them screwed us pretty comprehensively yesterday.

Primmy
18th July 2011, 09:55 PM
Please just call him Ray. The nickname has obviously gone to his head.

Point. Lets just go back to Raymond. Raymond Chambers. It kid of lets the air out of the tyres doesn't it. Wardy, the moderators splattered my insightful comment! Can't think why!!

Am I allowed now to say that we thought some of the extraordinary decisions came because we thought he couldn't actually see over the big boys in front of him?

OK, lets have a Sticky on whether we think the afl would give him a Granny gig.

Untamed Snark
18th July 2011, 09:55 PM
Thank you, MM.

Aw but...
(slinks off scuffing feet on carpet)

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 10:19 PM
just watching 'On the Couch'.

We are all obviously just suffering from bias and/or over active imaginations. Barely any reference to the umpiring yesterday. And not even a passing remark about the crowd reaction after the game (which happens very very infrequently across the league).

Also just announced that Freo have lost Roger Hayden to a leg fracture. Too bad it wasn't their other Hayden IMO ...

They have a ready replacement though - they should just rookie list Ray Chamberlain to replace him. Raaaaaay won't have anywhere near as much influence as the 22nd man as he did as the 23rd however!! :)

bondy
18th July 2011, 10:20 PM
Is there any chance of getting the contentious decisions spliced together and put on youtube? My wife missed the game and I want to show her how awful the umpiring was

Big Al
18th July 2011, 10:24 PM
Is there any chance of getting the contentious decisions spliced together and put on youtube? My wife missed the game and I want to show her how awful the umpiring was

That clip would go for 2 1/2 hours.

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 10:27 PM

Doubtful! No one here wants to relive the pain! And no one from Freo would want to admit they were passengers on the Raaaaay train!

Agree also with other posters to drop the razor moniker. He has slashed a few games in his time, but the word is far more positive than it should be. Raaaaay's not a razor, he's a very naughty boy (apologies to Life of Brian)..

bondy
18th July 2011, 10:32 PM
Agree also with other posters to drop the razor moniker. He has slashed a few games in his time, but the word is far more positive than it should be.

Just think of it as 'Ray's a..... '

SPC
18th July 2011, 10:39 PM

We are all obviously just suffering from bias and/or over active imaginations. Barely any reference to the umpiring yesterday. And not even a passing remark about the crowd reaction after the game (which happens very very infrequently across the league).

Also just announced that Freo have lost Roger Hayden to a leg fracture. Too bad it wasn't their other Hayden IMO ...

They have a ready replacement though - they should just rookie list Ray Chamberlain to replace him. Raaaaaay won't have anywhere near as much influence as the 22nd man as he did as the 23rd however!! :)

Gerard did ask Roosy about the umpiring & he said the Swans were furious about the decisions, then showed 2 frees involving Ballantine that he said shouldnt have been frees and he sucked the umpires in (Ray special mention) which makes a difference in an 11pt game!

Bindo
18th July 2011, 10:39 PM

Oh, I think that Roo's was very p***ed off with the umpiring, and showed the two decisions that were totally wrong and pointed out that there's 12 points in an 11 point win. That free against Grundy was such a joke!

Raymond has 'small man syndrome' - enough said.

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 10:53 PM
Gerard did ask Roosy about the umpiring & he said the Swans were furious about the decisions, then showed 2 frees involving Ballantine that he said shouldnt have been frees and he sucked the umpires in (Ray special mention) which makes a difference in an 11pt game!

Yeah, but two or so goals to dodgy frees happen pretty much every game. Anyone who hasn't seen the game would have no idea how one sided it was - one report today said Freo had eight goals from direct frees or the play directly following a free kick. THAT surely requires some mention - can anyone nominate another game they've seen where one team got such a cart into a game? I can't think of one (and have seen plenty of games over the years)!!! :)

SwansFan1972
18th July 2011, 10:59 PM
Oh, I think that Roo's was very p***ed off with the umpiring, and showed the two decisions that were totally wrong and pointed out that there's 12 points in an 11 point win. That free against Grundy was such a joke!

Raymond has 'small man syndrome' - enough said.

True - but it was still pretty restrained IMO.

Will be interesting (or probably not) to see what the Giesch has to say tomorrow after Longmire's email. At best it will be yeah - you were shafted (like in the Carlton game) - sorry bout that, but suck eggs.

giant
18th July 2011, 11:02 PM
BT would have screamed blue murder if his beloved pies were served up rubbish officiating like yesterday. It would never happen at the MCG though - the umpies know they wouldn't get out in one piece down there.

On one point I can agree with him. Ray certainly led his junior colleagues - they dutifully followed him to the letter - all three of them screwed us pretty comprehensively yesterday.

If that had happened to the Pies, there would have been a Royal Commission convened by now.

Nolie
19th July 2011, 01:02 AM

Dumb Rule!

Dumb Rule

Dumb Rule

Dumb Rule

Good comments here. However I have to say that one of the beauties of our game is in fact the subjectivity of the rules! For example for how long do you have to hold it for it to be a mark? In yourself when you have taken a mark you know when you have controlled the ball before say you drop the ball or someone knocks it out of your hand. How long can you have the ball before it is "holding the ball"? It is very difficult and very subjective. Umpiring is very difficult and I don't envy the guys who do it. Having said that it is no excuse for them to take the easy way out. "Robotic" umpiring where they ping the guy on the ground with the ball who has no hope of getting it out is ridiculous. 50 metre penalties for the runnner going too close is just pathetic. Giving goals for perceived infractions a la the gift goal to Ballantyne he being the protaganist but the retaliator gets the penalty just make a mockery of the beauty of the subjectivity of our game. I may not have worded or conveyed this concept very well - our game will always be subjective and we can never get perfection in the decisions that are made. The "badness" of some of the decisions is one of the reasons we come back to watch. It gives us something to talk/debate bout. But when umpires make decisions which favour the divers, the irritants, the peurile (penalisung Tadgh for a delay when there was some uncertainty about the initial decisison) then clearly they are detracting from the game. And "Yes" some of these "robotic" decisions are dumb. I persoanlly hate the one where a guy is running with the ball is in the process of releasing the ball to kick, gets tackled, cannot complete the kick and now it is an autoamtic dropping the ball. Was not a free in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Ballantyne is a classic example - he got tackled at one stage in Freo's 50m metre line in the process of kicking and I yelled "ball' at the screen - umpires let it "play on". Probably fair really but normally that now is an auto free.

liz
19th July 2011, 01:10 AM
(penalisung Tadgh for a delay when there was some uncertainty about the initial decisison)

The 50m penalty against Tadhg was probably the least contentious of the decisions that went against us. I was bewildered by the one against Jesse though.

I don't agree that inconsistency is good because it gives us something to talk about. I'd rather we were talking about the game. Some inconsistency is unavoidable because you have different umpires, and they don't always see everything. But that doesn't make it good.

Shortly before the 50m against Kennelly, the Swans won in "in the back" tackle free, to Smith I think, but I could be wrong. The Freo player tackling him just didn't want to get up off Smith, despite a Swans player (McVeigh?) trying to pull him off so that the game could get restarted. This was clearly a time wasting exercise by the Freo player, and held up play at least as much, if not more, than the Kennelly one. Yet I don't think I have ever seen a 50m penalty paid in a situation like that.

swanspant12
19th July 2011, 03:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIUMAdkmcmU

Big Al
19th July 2011, 08:31 AM
If that had happened to the Pies, there would have been a Royal Commission convened by now.

Most Pies wouldn't be able to spell Royal Commission so they'd just have a riot instead.

AnnieH
19th July 2011, 08:39 AM
I think the umpires think that we don't know the rules, so they'll just make them up as they go along.

I think I might send them an email to say that we even understand the "new" rules.

Primmy
19th July 2011, 08:46 AM
A friend has just done an analysis and he has added up the figures (that's what he does) and said that after raymond there were two field and the emergency umpire who were among the least experienced in the AFL. So there was raymond running riot and the kiddies on strings. It was the lowest ranked combination in the game. It wasn't even a high rank, middle and low....it was a (supposedly) high and three low. And there were more experienced umps available. That pretty much says exactly what the AFL think of Sydney.

Kirkari
19th July 2011, 08:56 AM

They were all correct

"Oh, and please pay this $10,000 penalty for questioning our supremecy."

Will be interesting (or probably not) to see what the Giesch has to say tomorrow after Longmire's email. At best it will be yeah - you were shafted (like in the Carlton game) - sorry bout that, but suck eggs.

No point losing your job fighting a losing battle. But it IS more than a little eerie how silent the media is over this. Surely objective commentary should be permitted, e.g., these specific decisions were clearly incorrect.

Big Al
19th July 2011, 09:12 AM
No point losing your job fighting a losing battle. But it IS more than a little eerie how silent the media is over this. Surely objective commentary should be permitted, e.g., these specific decisions were clearly incorrect.

This is the big issue out of all this. How much power does the AFL have in controlling the medias coverage of the game. It's would be a disgrace if the AFL keeps it's "media partners" on a short leash with respect to criticism of it's brand.

Bas
19th July 2011, 09:23 AM

I thought initially he had been silenced as he probably was but at least he got his point across. There was on over emphasis in the show prior to that on how well Fremantle did.

They did point out Keneally's 50 metre as being a "coach killer".

ScottH
19th July 2011, 09:43 AM
I also wish to extend my thanks to the administrators. I know you guys not only do your best, but you to a great job. I am just a little touchy about the issue of possible censorship from a powerful organisation like the AFL.

Thanks mate.

The censorship v moderation issues rears it's head every so often. And it is a touchy subject, and we have to deal with it as best we can.
The AFL have never contacted us during our regime, and we wish it to stay that way.
If they did we would only fight them as far as an email slinging match if we thought we had a case.
If it went any further we would at a minimum remove the offending thread, at the absolute worst case shut the site down.
Calling Ray names it one thing. To accuse him of being on the take or unfair bias is another issue, especially if unfounded.

Our Priority on the site is to keep it running for all to enjoy.

Some posts put us in an awkward position. If they make us feel uncomfortable we have to make a decision on whether to leave them or remove them. As I've said previosuly, I'd prefer to leave all posts/comments. But some just need to be removed as they could cause us issues. Issues we'd prefer not to deal with.

We have had individuals contact us, and ask that threads/posts be removed as they are unsubstantiated rumours.
As I've pointed out to these people, it is there word against the posters word.
However, the main point was that the person via email was not anonymous, the person posting was. So the benefit of the doubt is given to the non anonymous person.

So all we are asking is that people don't post things that could be potential legal issues.

I hope that has made our point of view clear.

Big Al
19th July 2011, 09:55 AM
Just whant to reiterate what most have said in thanking all the admins/mods on this site. Most regulars by the very fact they are regulars enjoy the site and that has a lot to do with how it's run.

(btw that cheque cleared Scott)

Untamed Snark
19th July 2011, 10:13 AM
There once was an umpire named Ray
Who was terrible to watch by day
To watch him by night
Would give you a fright
The rest the mods won't let me say :p

(Ok Scott-going back to my room now)

Big Al
19th July 2011, 10:20 AM
There once was an umpire named Ray
Who was terrible to watch by day
To watch him by night
Would give you a fright
The rest the mods won't let me say :p

(Ok Scott-going back to my room now)

:adore(clap)

ScottH
19th July 2011, 10:30 AM
there once was an umpire named ray
who was terrible to watch by day
to watch him by night
would give you a fright
the rest the mods won't let me say :p

(ok scott-going back to my room now)

:d

jono2707
19th July 2011, 07:08 PM
I share the frustration and annoyance on Sunday's umpiring but I don't think arguing the point with the site moderators is the way to go here.....

ScottH
19th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Well take as you want. Some of the things that have been mentioned would normally not be given a second look, but given the current circumstances, giving an inch isn't always the best policy.
We've taken a hard line on all subsequent posts.
Live with it. There is another game to worry about in a few days.
And the umpires report hasn't been released yet.

Nich
19th July 2011, 07:54 PM
Umpiring 'fine' - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118972/default.aspx)

Gieschen's Response -
But Gieschen rated the umpires' performance in the SCG match as 'fine', suggesting much of the angst stemmed from the number of goals resulting from the infringements.

"Whenever you have goals from free kicks or 50s, it gets the fans excited, it gets the clubs excited, everybody gets a little bit emotive about what happened," Gieschen said on his weekly afl.com.au show 'What's Your Decision?' on Tuesday night.

"But the bottom line is, when we drill back into all of those decisions, the vast majority were there."

Big Al
19th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Might need to close this thread. That ridiculous and expected response from Gieshen will just piss people off more.

Triple B
19th July 2011, 07:59 PM
Did we really expect anything different? Not me, that's for sure.

They pick out 4 decisions that can be argued to the letter of the law and disregard a multitude of crook decisions which cannot be defended.

Nich
19th July 2011, 08:06 PM
Did we really expect anything different? Not me, that's for sure.

They pick out 4 decisions that can be argued to the letter of the law and disregard a multitude of crook decisions which cannot be defended.

Exactly right and I was about to post that. He picks the ones he can defend, mentions that there were a few incorrect calls but ignores getting into them in detail. Tadhg's was there I will admit. Jesse's was borderline. At the ground I actually thought he took the mark and was paid the mark. NicMal's is just not consistent at all. They would hardly ever call that. Grundy's wasn't there when Ballantyne was throwing punches. LRT 's wasn't there when he got pushed down in front of the ruck. Blah, blah etc etc. Driving people away from the game they are. One of those games though and they will defend it like that. Can't wait to see how the boys respond on Saturday. MASSIVE game.

robamiee
19th July 2011, 08:08 PM
i watched all the Footy shows last night and typical of the Melb media, no one brought up the umpiring..
Roosey did to a certain degree on the couch, but you could see he was being mindful of his comments.

If that was Collingwood, Blues, Geelong, Hawks or on the opposite foot here in WA the media would have been in uproar...but typical because its the swans nothing.....i was even more angry again last night at that alone...
Typical of th Geish what did we expect from that twat..(sorry if that is an offensive term on here)...

Nich
19th July 2011, 08:12 PM
Annoyed me too that they titled the story "Umpiring 'fine'". Gives the impression that the Umps got a fine and it's just tabloid media. Don't treat us as fools you muppets. The game is not about Umpires and the fact they love to discuss Ray is a joke. The guys name shouldn't even been mentioned. Call him 'No 18' and that's it.

erica
19th July 2011, 08:18 PM
This is very sad. Doesn't the AFL realise how little credibility Jeff Gieschen has when he says rubbish like this. (Shakes head sadly.)