PDA

View Full Version : Deledio

swanspant12
27th July 2011, 08:12 AM
I think we should definetly be looking at brett deledio. Apparently before hardwicke was at richmond he was considering his options, however hardwicke convinced him to stay. Richmond aren't travelling too well at the moment even though i think they have a bright future, and one day im sure deledio will be looking for some success. Could be an excellent outside midfielder for us, as well as his normal position at the back considering kennelly is coming to his time

Chilcott
27th July 2011, 09:19 AM
Richmond would want a lot to let him go. They would want our first round draft pick, plus, at least one of our top young players.

Since you made the call, who would you be prepared to release?

stellation
27th July 2011, 09:28 AM
Brett's a very talented player and would fill that whole skilled outside midfielder role for us for a few years to come, however I think to lure him it'd take a healthy chunk out of the salary cap (room with Bradshaw gone, but would cost a lot more than that) and as stated would cost a bit to Richmond in a trade. My fear with getting a big name talent now through trade is I do think we'd lose a young talent as part of the trade but beyond that we're going to have pay overs I expect on our other up and coming youngsters who will no doubt have agents in their ears. I don't want to get into a roster management fiasco of getting in 1 good name but losing a couple of other up and comers when contract time comes around.

I'd love to have him, would probably pay above fair value in both trade and salary to get him but I'm just concerned that in the current climate if he truly is available his price will be well above fair value. If he is willing to move to Sydney I expect it is more likely to be at Mr Sheedy's pleasure.

wolftone57
27th July 2011, 10:48 AM
Brett's a very talented player and would fill that whole skilled outside midfielder role for us for a few years to come, however I think to lure him it'd take a healthy chunk out of the salary cap (room with Bradshaw gone, but would cost a lot more than that) and as stated would cost a bit to Richmond in a trade. My fear with getting a big name talent now through trade is I do think we'd lose a young talent as part of the trade but beyond that we're going to have pay overs I expect on our other up and coming youngsters who will no doubt have agents in their ears. I don't want to get into a roster management fiasco of getting in 1 good name but losing a couple of other up and comers when contract time comes around.

I'd love to have him, would probably pay above fair value in both trade and salary to get him but I'm just concerned that in the current climate if he truly is available his price will be well above fair value. If he is willing to move to Sydney I expect it is more likely to be at Mr Sheedy's pleasure. Oh,

I agree forget the big names & stick to the kids, our mids are going to turn out to be tops. Parker is already proving himself & if Byron ever plays for us again he will be great & Hanna is sweet as is Joey & Jack. I think the midfield is well taken care of since Rohan & Lamb can also play there & we have Mitchell & possibly Jack & Murphy coming to the club. Oh! I forgot to mention McNiel & there are others.

Dosser
27th July 2011, 10:48 AM

I'd love to have him, would probably pay above fair value in both trade and salary to get him but I'm just concerned that in the current climate if he truly is available his price will be well above fair value. If he is willing to move to Sydney I expect it is more likely to be at Mr Sheedy's pleasure.

If we were going to pay that sort of money, I would prefer a forward, thank you. As good as Deledio is, we have a few players of his ilk (not necessarily talent) so he wont be at the top of the list for our Christmas stocking.

Auntie.Gerald
27th July 2011, 10:59 AM
Yep I would want a forward or midfielder............Macca or ROK can go back and play a Boyd (from the Dogs) type of role in the midfield and HBF and we can have some one out wide in the midfield or upfront that is fast and can kick goals :)

simple :)

If we had another forward who could kick 40 to 60 goals per season I would prefer to see Goodes still play midfield most of teh game and actually rest on the HBF...........I think he is a better player when he has more room and space in front of him !

johnno
27th July 2011, 11:24 AM
I think I saw on 'Footy classifieds' or 'One week at a time' or some other football TV show in the last couple of weeks a segment about how many of the swans players in the current 22 were aged 25 or less, now I'm not going to list them all as I will surely miss a couple, but the list is plenty. Now I'm not sure what prefferential treatment GWS and G.C. still have in terms of the next 2-3 years draft, but it seems that its still going to be a few years until the draft goes back to normal. So, as much as it would be nice to have Deledio, he's a great player, Richmond are going to want too much for him. At least a 1st round draft pick and a player. So taking into consideration that the next 2-3 drafts are going to be relatively skinny for clubs like the swans cause of the 'extras' GWS and G.C. are going to get, we need to hold on to those early picks.......so sorry, but computer says NO!!!.

Jewels
27th July 2011, 11:33 AM
If we were going to give the tiges one or two of our kids + part with squillions of $, I'd rather it be for Jackie boy.
Don't reckon we've got a snowballs chance in hell of either in reality.

liz
27th July 2011, 11:43 AM
I reckon saying the Swans should look at Deledio is a bit like saying the Tigers (or any other club) should look at, say, Jack. As supporters we would politely suggest that the other club "rack off", and I would expect a similar response from the Tigers to any enquiries about Deledio. The only way he'll leave is if a club (GWS in the short term, other clubs once free agency comes in) throws a huge pot of money at him. But I suspect he is a few years off qualifying for unrestricted free agency.

wolftone57
27th July 2011, 01:40 PM
If we were going to give the tiges one or two of our kids + part with squillions of $, I'd rather it be for Jackie boy.
Don't reckon we've got a snowballs chance in hell of either in reality.

Yes I'd rather a Revolt than a Deludio

jono2707
27th July 2011, 04:28 PM
It's a no from me - as much as he's a good player (and part of my DreamTeam), we don't need him and we wouldnt want to give up much for him anyway.

SwansFan1972
27th July 2011, 10:46 PM
Agree with most sentiments here.

Our mids are looking pretty solid going forward (if we can keep them all).

An older forward with a good head on his shoulders, willing to help Sammy along in his development, would be ideal. Unfortunately there are hardly any around! If only bradshaw had been able to get a season or two more out of his knees (such a shame).

So. hmmmm??? Maybe Mitch Clarke from Brisbane (also rucks) and apparently wants out. Been around since 2006, becoming a regular since 2009. Should have learnt a bit from Browny over his career. Jack Anthony was cleared from the pies to freo after falling out of favour and missing the grannie and can't get a game in Perth (not sure if he is injured or what). He's not very old (22) but has been around a bit and might be someone who could benefit from the famed swans recycling processes. Mitch Morton was up and about for a while at the tigers last season but has been MIA this year (played rounds 1-3 then got a call up for the cats last week - lucky lad hey)!

To sum up, most of the key forwards are locked down pretty tight at their clubs. Not easy to find a ready made one who is (a) top shelf and (b) realistically available. There is a big risk that Sam gets knocked from pillar to post flying the flag as the one constant with a rotating roster around him. He has been absolutely awesome this year and he needs to be nurtured and protected as much as possible. Goodesy's post match comments last weekend indicate that Sam is under his wing, which is great to hear - but another experienced tough forward would definitely not go astray.

GongSwan
29th July 2011, 02:24 PM
If we were going to pay that sort of money, I would prefer a forward, thank you. As good as Deledio is, we have a few players of his ilk (not necessarily talent) so he wont be at the top of the list for our Christmas stocking.

I couldn't agree more, or we could play Reid closer to goal. I think carrying two ruckmen on the field is going to murder some forward lines, and leave the goal kicking to running mids, If we bring in a tall marking forward, we have to carry LRT or another ruckman in the FP which gives us a pretty tall forward structure. Personally I think Deledio hasn't lived up to expectation and is a little over rated, would never swap him for any of our mids

kangle4
29th July 2011, 05:19 PM
I couldn't agree more, or we could play Reid closer to goal. I think carrying two ruckmen on the field is going to murder some forward lines, and leave the goal kicking to running mids, If we bring in a tall marking forward, we have to carry LRT or another ruckman in the FP which gives us a pretty tall forward structure. Personally I think Deledio hasn't lived up to expectation and is a little over rated, would never swap him for any of our mids

I wouldn't swap him for most of our mids either but that's because you become attached to them as a supporter, if I'm being honest though he is a better player than nearly all of our mids.

Peace
29th July 2011, 05:44 PM
Richmond are desperate for ruckmen stocks... We have plenty... A deal could be done easily.

cowcar
29th July 2011, 11:26 PM
Richmond are desperate for ruckmen stocks... We have plenty... A deal could be done easily.

as much as i like him, i think Seaby will be a BIG trading card this coming trading season...

Velour&Ruffles
30th July 2011, 01:13 AM
I think we should definetly be looking at brett deledio. Apparently before hardwicke was at richmond he was considering his options, however hardwicke convinced him to stay. Richmond aren't travelling too well at the moment even though i think they have a bright future, and one day im sure deledio will be looking for some success. Could be an excellent outside midfielder for us, as well as his normal position at the back considering kennelly is coming to his time

Overrated. When Gary Rohan is fit and has another year in him he will give us more than Deledio ever could. Rohan has all the run and flair plus serious hardness and tackling that Deledio will never provide.

stellation
30th July 2011, 09:01 AM
Overrated. When Gary Rohan is fit and has another year in him he will give us more than Deledio ever could. Rohan has all the run and flair plus serious hardness and tackling that Deledio will never provide.

No offence, and I love Gary and his potential- but to say he'll be better than Deledio with a year under his belt is a possibly either underrating Brett or putting a tad of pressure on Gary.

aardvark
30th July 2011, 09:47 AM
as much as i like him, i think Seaby will be a BIG trading card this coming trading season...

and probably Pyke and Currie although I hope we keep Pykie.

stellation
30th July 2011, 09:58 AM
and probably Pyke and Currie although I hope we keep Pykie.

Dan's an interesting one, I am lead to believe that a number of Melbourne based clubs showed interest in him last trading period. He is still a bean pole really and doesn't look physically (to me) ready to ruck at AFL level, he'll be 23 going into next season and I think it's fair to start wondering how much bulk his frame will add (he does add a bit each year, granted). I think my concern with Dan as a trade prospect is that whilst we may get fair return for "guy that has been on a list a long time and hasn't debuted" but may not get fair return for the investment made in the guy over the years.

I think GWS would probably be rather keen on a Seaby/Currie combo trade, 1 ready made guy that can be first choice ruckman from day 1 and 1 guy that's closer to the age of the majority of the developing squad that you can see if he fills out any further. Based on watching Gold Coast, they'd probably be able to offer Dan a chance to actually play some senior games, too.

Is Seabs contracted into next season?

aardvark
30th July 2011, 10:08 AM
Dan's an interesting one, I am lead to believe that a number of Melbourne based clubs showed interest in him last trading period. He is still a bean pole really and doesn't look physically (to me) ready to ruck at AFL level, he'll be 23 going into next season and I think it's fair to start wondering how much bulk his frame will add (he does add a bit each year, granted). I think my concern with Dan as a trade prospect is that whilst we may get fair return for "guy that has been on a list a long time and hasn't debuted" but may not get fair return for the investment made in the guy over the years.

I think GWS would probably be rather keen on a Seaby/Currie combo trade, 1 ready made guy that can be first choice ruckman from day 1 and 1 guy that's closer to the age of the majority of the developing squad that you can see if he fills out any further. Based on watching Gold Coast, they'd probably be able to offer Dan a chance to actually play some senior games, too.

Is Seabs contracted into next season?

I suppose a lot will depend on if they keep the sub rule or not.

Plugger46
30th July 2011, 01:38 PM

Deledio is underrated IMO. I'm excited about Rohan but gee Deledio's a very good AFL footballer and I'll be pretty happy if Rohan gets to his level.

Dosser
31st July 2011, 02:13 PM
Well, regardless of what we think of Deledio, I doubt we will be chasing him. In the Herald Sun today there was an article linking Taylor Walker with Sydney (not GWS). I think our priority is a key forward.

S120
31st July 2011, 02:32 PM
Yeh I doubt Deledio will be going anywhere.

I'd be all for getting Taylor Walker here given we can make it so his head deflates a touch but I've heard he is more partial towards the idea of staying at the Crows now that Craig is gone.

We are in a tough position as securing Tom Mitchell will require our 1st round pick due to the F/S bidding process. Makes our offers less interesting for other clubs and we'd have to offer up players of some ilk to get something back in return.

Dosser
31st July 2011, 02:53 PM
That is why it is good to have a few good ruckmen. I would hate to see them go, but it makes sense.

GongSwan
31st July 2011, 06:34 PM
We will probably have to trade Seaby because he will want a game at top level, if we can get some kind of tall or lead up forward who plays out of the goal square and runs like a midfielder I'd move heaven and earth to get him. On Deledio again, I think our current crop of young midfielders will just get better as they gain experience. Dan Currie as a beanpole won't bulk up much until he stops growing at average age 24. It's very difficult to get younger taller players to do much in the weight room until then as the bones are still stretching and it's easy to do damage. A naturally big guy like Mummy is the exception, which is why you see a lot of older ruckmen, or at least ruckmen maturing into better players as they get older