PDA

View Full Version : Bye Game weekend thread (Dosser request)

Frog
31st July 2011, 09:42 AM
Beautiful day, and as sometimes happens, the boys haven't turned up for the game. Don't think we'll lose today though. I have this strange feeling that John Longmire is taking the AFL substitute rule to the absolute extreme today and he is putting all 22 on the substitute bench.

As long as we don't lose John, as long as we don't lose ... :)

Dosser
31st July 2011, 10:06 AM
Beautiful day, and as sometimes happens, the boys haven't turned up for the game. Don't think we'll lose today though. I have this strange feeling that John Longmire is taking the AFL substitute rule to the absolute extreme today and he is putting all 22 on the substitute bench.

As long as we don't lose John, as long as we don't lose ... :)

Ah, thanks. I feel much better now. What time is everyone not turning up today?

Peace
31st July 2011, 10:22 AM
I heard you can bring your own booze today!

Dosser
31st July 2011, 10:35 AM
Today wont be as easy as we think. Our form against the bye has been patchy at best and after Port Adelaide lost to it a few weeks ago it should have a lot of confidence.

Frog
31st July 2011, 10:43 AM
I heard you can bring your own booze today!
Oh, and the pies are the best today, no Villi's, no Four'nTwenty plain stuff either - I'm planning a Four'nTwenty Angus Beef'nPepper (shameless plug, but a beautiful Pie!!).

Big Al
31st July 2011, 10:47 AM
Oh, and the pies are the best today, no Villi's, no Four'nTwenty plain stuff either - I'm planning a Four'nTwenty Angus Beef'nPepper (shameless plug, but a beautiful Pie!!).

Add Crown Lager in a chilled glass and it's going to be great non day at the footy.

Big Al
31st July 2011, 10:52 AM
Great game yesterday.

That brilliant small forward Harry Potter kicked a couple of late goals to get Hogwarts up over the ladder leaders The Death Eaters. The Eaters also lost their Captain coach for the rest of the season with a very nasty injury.

Lucky Knickers
31st July 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm a bit concerned about match-ups today.
Vixen Sparkling Shiraz with Brie.
Jansz Vintage with a strawberry.
Clos Henri with chicken schnitzel and mayo sambo.
Little creatures and back ribs.
*sigh* What to do.

31st July 2011, 11:06 AM
Great set of results for us so far this weekend, all the chasers have lost and most of their % have taken a dive, a hammering in some cases. St.Kilda got up but not a % boosting result.

Next week we must win over Essendon to get out of their reach too.

How's that Hun journo going that predicted the Bulldogs for the top eight?

aardvark
31st July 2011, 11:57 AM
At times its difficult being a Swans supporter but boy am I glad i'm not a Melbourne supporter. Oh well off to mow the lawn and feed the chickens........

Dosser
31st July 2011, 12:10 PM
*sigh* What to do.

Here's a little tip, but you can only get it direct - try a Unavale (Flinders Island) if you are looking to rotate Clos Henri from the bench.

stellation
31st July 2011, 12:14 PM
*sigh* What to do.
Forget the brie, I'm concerned about the match of "sparkling" and "shiraz"! :D

Primmy
31st July 2011, 01:16 PM
I'd definitely go the chicken schnitzel and mayo, but substitute sambo for crusty bread roll.
Keep the strawberry until the 4th quarter, somehow that always works best for me, but I would make sure that brie was also in the mix.

neilfws
31st July 2011, 01:25 PM
At times its difficult being a Swans supporter but boy am I glad i'm not a Melbourne supporter

My stat for the weekend: it was 124-10 at the long break in that Cats/Demons game yesterday, the second-largest half-time margin ever. The largest? 124-4, back in 1993 and guess who was on the losing end to Brisbane?

So not only could things be much worse - they have been :)

wolftone57
31st July 2011, 01:27 PM
It is weekends like this that I get the chance to review the highlights of old games. I watched the Semi v Carlton and I must say Jesse was great, he put his body in & set up at least 4 goals. TDL was on fire and they played with a great deal of attacking zest. I thought a week later it was a mistake to bring a not fully fit Braddy back as it upset the balance we had in the forwardline in the Carlton game. We concentrated our attacks totally on Braddy and sure he kicked some goals but they looked for him almost every time and a lot of the delivery was cut off because it was predictable. We are better when we have a diverse forward set up. The set up of TDL, White, Pykie or Mummy when resting, Moore, Bevo, Ryano etc so many options with so much movement. That was the secret that day & fighting like hell.

Frog
31st July 2011, 01:37 PM
My stat for the weekend: it was 124-10 at the long break in that Cats/Demons game yesterday, the second-largest half-time margin ever. The largest? 124-4, back in 1993 and guess who was on the losing end to Brisbane?

So not only could things be much worse - they have been :)
That was my cue for this week's WIKI page ---> Season 1993. (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Season_1993)
But I'm not sure that was such a wise move - We had 2 bye's that year - and we simply must make sure we don't have the same results coming out of a bye ...

Lucky Knickers
31st July 2011, 01:55 PM
Bruce says it's delicious.

stellation
31st July 2011, 02:03 PM
Bruce says it's delicious.

Bruce says you're delicious, lady. At least it's a fairly safe assumption he does.

Dosser
31st July 2011, 02:14 PM
Is today's bye on Foxtel or channel 7?

stellation
31st July 2011, 02:21 PM
Is today's bye on Foxtel or channel 7?

Ten, so it's not even in HD! :mad:

Dosser
31st July 2011, 02:35 PM

That is so typical!

Matt79
31st July 2011, 02:49 PM
I see Plugger has been named as Sub. Kelly, Dunkley and Bayes on the interchange.

Frog
31st July 2011, 02:54 PM
That is so typical!
Even more predictable is that it is not on any channel here on the Gold Coast :mad:

Big Al
31st July 2011, 02:59 PM
I see Plugger has been named as Sub. Kelly, Dunkley and Bayes on the interchange.

What the hell is Horse doing. Plugger as sub with Stefan Carey and Ryan O'Connor playing up forward.

Frog
31st July 2011, 03:04 PM
What the hell is Horse doing. Plugger as sub with Stefan Carey and Ryan O'Connor playing up forward.
Payback for the Coleman medals he missed out on?

Dosser
31st July 2011, 03:10 PM
This is ridiculous - Horse, it's time to go!

Lucky Knickers
31st July 2011, 05:03 PM
Time to bring Luff into the game.
*sip* "Delicious"

Frog
31st July 2011, 05:08 PM
Special thread, isn't it?

Xie Shan
31st July 2011, 05:25 PM

Now where was that Hunter Valley thread again... the name "RedandWhiteOnline" has taken on a whole new meaning this week!!

The big question is, who will I give TLM votes to? After much deliberation (not really), here goes:

3. Stellation - for managing to work his two other loves, cheese and wine, into the thread (not sure who should get the credit, stella or LK)
2. Lucky Knickers - for the 'Bruce says it's delicious' reference
1. Frog - for starting the thread (have to suck up to the mods)

Frog
31st July 2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, Xie Shan - "suck up to the mods" noted ... :) ... But it was Dosser lamenting there wouldn't be a game day thread this week that made me do it.

But I did have a gander through the "Any budding journalists" thread ...

And I must say, I am looking forward to this week's reports ... At least they picked a week in which we didn't lose ...

Make us proud, journo's ... ;)

I'll take rounds 5 and 19.

...and I'll help him.

And I claimed the assistants job in post 4.
And what's this coming second you speak of Scott???

I'll do the Bye if you like!! I'm sure I could throw something together for that.;)(or a critique of either the Hunter Valley or Hawkes Bay in NZ - havent decided which one I'm going to yet.)

GongSwan
31st July 2011, 06:25 PM

Safe to assume it's not in HD because they can't broadcast HD, yr 1080p tv is only getting 1366 x 788 unless you are playing a bluray, and that varies from 480p up. Still looks good on the plasma tho

Doctor
31st July 2011, 08:15 PM
Great thread guys. A good friend and fellow Swans member has a child in the same U6 soccer team as my daughter. We were chatting yesterday morning about how odd it felt to have a weekend during the season without a game. Even the week off that everyone used to get around mid-year seemed different to this. Anyway, it won't be happening twice next year as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, the good thing about our performance against the bye is that we should get the same amount of coverage we always do on On The Couch, One Week At A Time, AFL 360 etc. ie, the square root of bugger all!