PDA

View Full Version : Ireland discover BBB

Go Swannies
26th October 2003, 02:11 PM
Sorry,

I couldn't work out how to post a link to:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/1024/gaa/rules.html

But the Irish Chronicle seems to realise what a winner we have in BBB. I post it below.

I've been a bit surprised by the lack of interest to the IR game on RWO considering BBB, the Captain, Leaping and Jared featured so prominantly.

International Rules Series: Australia take first test

Australia deservedly won the first test of the 2003 International Rules Series in front of more than 41,000 fans in the Subiaco Oval, Perth. However, with just ten points between the sides, 56 points to 46, John O'Keeffe's men are still in with a chance of overhauling the deficit in the second and final match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground next Friday.

Having promisingly led 11-25 after the first quarter thanks to a great goal from debutant Benny Coulter, Ireland were run ragged in the second half and were it not for two crucial saves from goalkeeper Enda Murphy the series would now surely be beyond their reach. If Ireland are to win in Melbourne, O'Keeffe will have to contain gigantic Aussie forward Barry Hall, whose stunning fielding and marksmanship proved to be a constant thorn in the Irish defence.

The Australians dominated possession for the majority of the game but it wasn't until the third quarter, thanks to goals from Brad and Chris Johnson, that they took control on the scoreboard. The third Australian goal, coming in the final quarter from Shane Crawford, emphatically killed off the Irish challenge.

But with the series decided by the aggregate score of the two matches, Ireland will take solace from the performances of Steven McDonnell, Sean Marty Lockhart, Padraic Joyce, Ciaran McManus and the aforementioned Coulter and Murphy. All of these players adjusted to the nuances of the game much better than the rest of the Irish team, hinting that O'Keeffe may able to fashion an improved team showing next week.

McDonnell got Ireland's first score when he notched an over (three points) from a 45 in the second minute. A Chris Johnson behind (one point) and a Matthew Pavlich over settled the home's side's nerves. However, they were left reeling when Down star Coulter, who had been a fitness doubt before the game, burst through from midfield before selling a dummy to the defence and placing the ball calmly past 'keeper Glen Jakovich.

The Aussies hit back with an over from Lenny Hayes, however, Armagh star McDonnell replied with a three-pointer of his own. Hall, as he would do some many times during the match, collected superbly and converted an over from the mark. A Dessie Dolan effort only yielded a behind, but soon after Padraic Joyce made no mistake with an over. McDonnell added another two overs in quick succession, both from marks, to extend Ireland's lead to 12 ? 22 points to 10. Australia followed that with a behind, before McManus elected to take an over with the goal at his mercy. The Irish went in at the hooter leading 25-11.

The second quarter began ominously for Ireland, when Hall landed another over. A lively Australian attack caused panic in an Irish defence that just about managed to avert a shot on goal. The professionals, however, maintained their momentum with two behinds and two overs ? one from a dubious mark from Hall, who had appeared to have pushed Graham Canty. A Coulter behind made it 26-22 before a rare Irish interception in midfield allowed Kevin Hughes to race through for an over.

The increasingly physical nature of the game, which Ireland were obviously finding difficult to cope with, was highlighted when Westmeath's Dolan was unceremoniously grounded in an apparent off-the-ball incident. After receiving much attention, Dolan eventually made it to his feet looking dazed and shook. Kieran McGeeney began to exert more influence - signalling his intent with an over from open play, putting Ireland 32-22 in front. The Armagh captain, however, would later display a more sinister side to his game when TV pictures appeared to show him punching an opponent in the stomach.

Two behinds and a mark, the latter created by an excellent pass from the impressive Nathan Brown, saw Australia begin to claw their way back into contention. Another desperately late challenge, this time by Mark Bickley on Paul McGrane, resulted in a yellow card for the Australian as his side went in at half-time trailing by only five points, 32 to 27.

Ireland began the crucial first half with a behind. But they still hadn't figured out how to limit Hall. After winning another mark, Hall laid off to Brown whose shot was saved by Murphy ? the ball dribbling wide for a behind. At this point Ireland looked as if they might reassert themselves but the early period of the third quarter only yielded four overs (Tom Kelly, Coulter, Beano McDonald and McDonnell) and one over (Joe Higgins). Australia themselves had managed an over in this period before their comeback began in earnest. Brad Johnson collected a quickly-fisted mark and his low shot deflected into the back of the net off the unfortunate Cormac McAnallen to reduce the deficit to just two points ? 38-40.

Hall produced the mark of the match and predictably shot an over to put the home side in front by one. Soon after Murphy had little choice but to mow down Chris Johnson as he ran goalwards. And Ireland were punished for their haphazad defending as Johnson hit the back of the net with the resulting penalty from his hands. Coulter salvaged another behind but Ireland trailed 47-41 at the end of what had been a disastrous quarter for Ireland.

Ireland began the final quarter positively with behinds from Tom Kelly and Coulter, but it looked unlikely that the Australia would relinquish the lead against their tired-looking opponents. Ireland were again exposed when slack marking allowed Shane Crawford to complete the Aussies' hat-trick of goals from close range. There was no way back for Ireland now but a behind from McDonald, who acquitted himself well throughout, and a brilliant McDonnell over (his 16th point in total) from play reduced the arrears to ten points (56-46).

More crucially for Ireland though was Murphy's stop from a close range Brent Harvey effort to keep Ireland's hopes of a series-clinching victory alive.

Filed by James Boylan

Dpw
26th October 2003, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Go Swannies
[B]Sorry,

I've been a bit surprised by the lack of interest to the IR game on RWO considering BBB, the Captain, Leaping and Jared featured so prominantly.

Not really its good to see the swans players running around but all I cared about was making sure they weren't injured. I mean can anyone really take this game to seriously a bunch of full time footy players beating up some part-time Irishman, I think I will watch the World cup and the cricket.

anyone know how long before the next swans game Iam already suffering withdrawls.

Go Swannies
26th October 2003, 03:53 PM
I only watched the game at midnight because I had consumed too much coffee while out for dinner. I was surprised by how exciting the game was - kinda like watching the Swans play rugby. It was amazing to see how much faster than any AFL player the Irish are.

The world cup?? I've really tried (and I went to Sydney school where rugby was compuslory) but, except for cheering on losing minor teams that are really trying, it has been boooring. Any tipper not running at 100% must be embarassed.

Injury seemed a distinct likelihood for Leaping - he took a dive towards the ball as if this was the Grand Final.

The win in Perth seemed to mean a lot to those representing Australia. Even BBB said afterwards that it could only be compared to playing in a GF! Meanwhile the rest of the Oz players were acting as if they agreed - and it looked like as if not a single spectator left straight after the game. either.

EMJ
26th October 2003, 04:15 PM
The swans players did us proud. I couldn't wait to watch it just to see the Swans players run and play so well. Much better than when we have had one player in it. Wish they would stop - Eddie M would stop - calling Barry - Big Bad Barry. Surely he has shown them enough by now - he not Bad - how good a player he is for us and control has come into his game.
Go well Swans players next week - but as you all say watch the injuries - please we need you.

dimelb
26th October 2003, 11:28 PM
Hey, it's a good game to watch! Not quite the same as being in the season, but better than the farcical world cup (nearly as bad as a couple of US "world series"), and as for soccer, I'd rather watch grass grow ("a thrilling nil-all draw"). And the guys are taking it seriously. And has Gary Lyon got a future as a coach?

penga
26th October 2003, 11:41 PM
i loved watching the game as well

FWIW, one of the early finals series in baseball was sponsored by a newspaper called "World", therefore making it the "World Series", it has stuck...

Diego
27th October 2003, 12:24 PM
I watched it as I do every year. I love this game. I get to watch a bit of everything mixed up and get to celebrate a goal like I do when they score a goal in soccer.

I thought Barry played superb. He played the same as he had been playing all throughout season 2003. His marking was brilliant and his attempted back hell, which lead to a goal, was very funny.

In fact for a minute it was like watching the swans play with Barry switching play over and kirk running and handballing from the back. Imagine if Leo had taken that screamer! Leo control yourself son...we need you next year! :P

I thought the Irish were shell-shocked and didn?t recover when Scarlett felled one of the Irish playmakers.

Would have been interesting in Tadhg had played.

BAM_BAM
27th October 2003, 01:48 PM
I had a giggle when Baz first attempted to mark, only to give away a free. He then stood with that I don't believe it look on his face. Things don't change much regardless of the code.:)

snajik
27th October 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
[B]Sorry,

Not really its good to see the swans players running around but all I cared about was making sure they weren't injured. I mean can anyone really take this game to seriously a bunch of full time footy players beating up some part-time Irishman, I think I will watch the World cup and the cricket.

Couldn't agree less. This was the first time I'd been able to catch a game, and I thought it was fantastic. The crowd was amazing, and the athleticism of both sides was outstanding. Sure the Australians are professionals, but there are equitable advantages for the Irish as well, such as the shape of the ball and the field. The game was played at a breakneck pace, and was a fierce contest.

As for that mind-numbingly tedious corporate crap known as the World Cup, you must be joshing. A scoreline of 142-0 and you are questioning the competitiveness of International Rules? As for the rivetting play for 5 days without any guarantee of a result concept of cricket, surely there's a higher level of action at the local laundromat?

As for me, I await Friday night's rematch bristling with anticipation.

lescygnes
27th October 2003, 02:43 PM
now now, bit early to judge the RWC, and after yesterdays fantastic games, some people here need a rethink. (well done to Samoa for nearly providing the upset of a century).

as for the IR series, well the game in perth was a cracker. very much enjoyed it, but you could tell that we had them in the end, our players have the longevity to play the whole game.

as for nil all draws in soccer, well beauty lies within the eye of the beholder. ive seen some thrilling 0-0 draws in my day.

each game has its finer points, some appreciated by all, some not. afterall, ive seen some bloody miserable aussie rules games in my time too.

just like my nanna advised me, if we all liked the same thing, there wouldnt be enough to go around.

cheers
John

ps-off to gosford tonight for the Japan vs USA game in RWC. should be a cracker.

Dave
27th October 2003, 04:58 PM
Rugby... YAWN!

:o

But I suppose there has to be some code that even fat b**stards can play.

Go Swannies
27th October 2003, 05:25 PM
Hey Snajik - that was DPW that was putting down the Perth game, not me. I was misquoted. Rather, Friday was the first time I'd seen an international rules game and I loved it. Even watched it again last night.

And the RUGBY - how brilliant was it yesterday when two teams who weren't meant to win actually stayed in the match until the second half! Can't get much better than that. Yawn. Maybe there will be a good game in the World Cup before the end but IR reminded me what we're missing. I'd settle for a Saints vs Dees exhibition match right now.

SWANSBEST
28th October 2003, 06:54 AM
I think the task of containing Barry is too big for the Irish.

Irish plot to stop Hall
By Rebecca Williams
October 28, 2003

HE's BIG and he's bad, his name is Barry Hall, and the Irish have him in their sights.

Irish coach John O'Keeffe yesterday identified Hall as the player who must be stopped if the tourists are to atone for last Friday's 10-point international rules series loss in Perth.

O'Keeffe admitted the Irish struggled to deal with Hall's size and strength and need to devise a strategy to counter his influence in the second Test at the MCG on Friday.

"He's the main threat," O'Keeffe said as the Irish team arrived in Melbourne yesterday.

"We'll have to get our heads around how to counteract that. It's going to be a big ask because he's so mobile and so strong.

"We really don't have anyone in our squad with that kind of physique and strength and that is a concern for us.

"He's the man we have to curtail in some way, so we have to devise some tactics."

O'Keeffe would not expand on how the Irish planned to beat the 194cm and 99kg Hall, but quipped: "We won't take him on in boxing, anyway, because I hear he's quite good at that."

While the Australians continued their preparations in camp at Rye on the Mornington Peninsula, the home side's aggression in the first Test at Subiaco remained under scrutiny.

Retired Crow Mark Bickley will tomorrow face a charge of striking Ireland's Tom Kelly, while AFL investigations officer Rick Lewis is expected to conclude his probe into an off-the-ball incident between Geelong's Matthew Scarlett and Ireland's Des Dolan today.

O'Keeffe said the incident was outside the spirit of the game.

"I wasn't pleased with the way a player was stopped going on to the field. That was one incident I thought was outside the spirit of the game," O'Keeffe said.

"I feel it's proper order to be honest, that when you have a player trying to get on the field and he's obstructed like that, I feel it needs to be looked at.

"It didn't help Dessy Dolan's performance . . . I think he was badly shaken after that incident."

But O'Keeffe defended Australia's physical play, saying the international rules concept would suffer without it.

"I don't have a problem with it (the physical play)," he said.

"They're playing what's instinctive to them, it's indigenous to their game, this tackling.

"There's no way the series could survive if you didn't have the Australian tackle.

"Generally our guys are well able to stand up for themselves and they're very brave the way they challenge their very often stronger opponents. There's nobody pulling out of a tackle anywhere.

"I'm very confident in our ability to stand up to the physicality of the Australian game.

"I thought there was give-and-take on both sides. We're not totally innocent either."

O'Keeffe said the best way for the Irish to handle the Australian's physical play was "to avoid it as much as we can".

But he conceded his men would have to step up their own tackling rate on Friday.

"We do realise that we do have to release the ball a little bit quicker and not get tangled up in these tackles, that's No. 1," O'Keeffe said.

"We also realise that we have to put in more tackles.

"What we're looking for more than ever is our scores. We're not concerned really with the physical side of it. We just want to put the ball over the bar and under the bar."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7692650-23211,00.html

Bunyip
28th October 2003, 11:15 AM
i enjoyed it too...there was a lot to like about the game if you ask me. even watching the different styles of the umpires was entertaining. the Irish ump didn't seem to mind getting in and mixing it up physically with the players, almost getting one of aussies in a head lock at one stage!

Crawford's attempted belly-slide to celebrate scoring a goal was very amusing:)

does anyone know why Tadgh wasn't playing for Ireland?

liz
28th October 2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bunyip

does anyone know why Tadgh wasn't playing for Ireland?

He had an operation - hernia I think - a few weeks ago.

snajik
28th October 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Hey Snajik - that was DPW that was putting down the Perth game, not me. I was misquoted. Rather, Friday was the first time I'd seen an international rules game and I loved it. Even watched it again last night.

Apologies GS, that wasn't my intention. I've known for some time now that you are one of the more sentient posters in this forum.

Go Swannies
28th October 2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks but if that was true someone would occasionally agree with me.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the difference it will make that Swans players are now being taken seriously? If you look at BigFooty you'll see that several people think the Swannies will be in the Grand Final next year and there is considerable talk that Goodes is already a superstar with lots of room to improve.

Now we have newspapers across the country (and the world, well Ireland) saying that Barry was the star of the IR Perth game. And even the Hun has noticed Kirk's talent and jokes about how he was tagging Buckley at a boozy function and there was no surprise that Buckley couldn't shake him off!

Could be tricky to suprise anyone in 2004.

liz
28th October 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies

Could be tricky to suprise anyone in 2004.

True, but I think the Lions stopped surprising everyone a few years ago and it hasn't done them any harm.

cos789
28th October 2003, 08:14 PM
I was lucky enough to be at Subiaco on Friday night .It had the atmosphere of a footy game untill a goal was scored and then the crowd really went off .Then late in the game a chant of "Aussie" louder than any club chant I've heard .

Anyway from a Swans view one wonders whether these games can bring a new dimension to some players .Barry Hall was in his natural element ,but Kirk and Leo Barry seemed to gain a new confidence and expertise that they could carry over to club games .

j s
28th October 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by lizz
He had an operation - hernia I think - a few weeks ago.
There is an "Official" IR site here....

http://www.setanta.com/international_rules/index.html

....with an article about Tadhg's disappointment at not playing.

jixygirl
29th October 2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the site, I been trying to find a site about the international rules series for a while. At least know I know why Kenelley's not playing. For the people who went to the match on the Friday night, what was the atmosphere like after the game, when everybody in the stands were cheering their hearts out. It looked like a great place to be.

EMJ
29th October 2003, 08:57 AM
Two friends of mine living in Perth tell me the game was electric - we missed a lot of Barry Hall apparently he was even better than what we saw. On the field his positional play was fantastic.
The game was the best football game they have ever attended for any code.
So says a lot - - generally my friends said the Swans players were on top for their playing.

sharp9
29th October 2003, 09:08 AM
That's the thing that I really enjoyed, during this game it was taken for granted that Swans players were in the first rank of the Australian Football team. All of a sudden the whole country wants Leapin', Captain and BBB to be on their team. Very cool. What a turnatound in 12 months.

peterh_oz
31st October 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
[B]Sorry,

anyone know how long before the next swans game Iam already suffering withdrawls.

1. I LOVE it.

2. I hope we get one in Sydney one day.

3. I might even travel to the home Tests in 2yrs.

4. Did I mention I LOVE it?

For those that don't love them, fair enough. Lets hope the "I hope they don't get injured" brigade (read: Melbourne Media) don't kill this with negativity and blinkered viewings like they killed State of Origin. HOWEVER what is the point of the All-Australian team these days? Now that there IS an Australian Team, why not retire A-A gracefully?

peterh_oz
31st October 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I had a giggle when Baz first attempted to mark, only to give away a free. He then stood with that I don't believe it look on his face. Things don't change much regardless of the code.:)

Until he realised that the umpires point their arms the "opposite" direction in Gaelic & Int.Rules. ie like Soccer, the arm is pointed towards the goal, not towards the fullback.

His face, when it was explained by our ump, was "oh for ****'s sake ... I should think so! Sorry mate". VERY comical!

JF_Bay22_SCG
2nd November 2003, 12:29 PM
In Sydney we didn't get to sleep until 3am when the telecast finished, but I was getting more an more into it by the time it was completed.

We cannot and should not ignore the fact that these matches are NOT mickey mouse exhibition fixtures any longer but are fair dinkum sporting contests between the best players of both respective sports. The tears on the faces of the wee Paddies gave testament to that, as were the whoops of elation from the Aussies.

I still think the concept could be remodelled a tad, as I think that it is still a bit crazy and confusing. Even if the crowd seemed to go mental when Harvey put their strange-looking 6 point penalty through.

I didn't like the Aussie strip. And the Irish one, complete with its completely Irish Coca Cola *NOT*sponsorship on the front. looked very very crap. What is wrong with us playing in mainly gold and Ireland green? Watching Australia play in blue just doesn't do it for me. And short sleeves, please. We are representing our game, not soccer or rugby league.

As has been intimated, I think we'd be mad not to have a look at a few of the Paddies as potential AFL recruits. In Sydney we pride ourselves on being a tad ideosyncratic, so that skilful Mcdonnell bloke would be a very interesting addition to the Swans, even if had to play in the SFL/ACTAFL for a while to develop his kicking/marking/ tackling skills. As Tadgh has shown, you CAN succeed. But gaelic footballers are still very much stabs in the dark in many respects.

Some of our players really seemed to struggle with the concept of the round ball. Whilst Daniel Wells, Brent Harvey and Shane Crawford seemed quite comfortable following the flight of it, guys like Matthew Pavlich (not suited at all to IR) simply did not get any sort of grasp at how to kick for goal. I was surprised that more players didn't attempt to kick it drop kick style as one of the little leprechauns did with great success.

From what I heard, the only support from the Aussies was the Bay 13 cricket fans chanting Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi then Here we Go etc. I assume that most of the singing around the ground was from the Irish. Still it sounded excellent.

A few of the compromise rulings seemed somewhat puzzling. First I see no reason as to why the Aussie 6 point goal was disallowed in the first quarter. Eddie was constantly saying that you aren't allowed to touch the Goalie, yet I thought it was the goalie kind of shoving the Aussie bloke.

I found the holding the ball/push in the back rules very puzzling. It seemed that sometimes a blatant push in the back was totally let go. Yet when an Aussie grabbed an Irish bloke and slung him around he got pinged for doing so.

The ruling I found the strangest to understand/get used to was that a player would be pinged if he held the ball under him. At one stage Glen Jakovich, who I thought did pretty well as "goalie" (whatever that is?), made a brave dive at the ball in his goalsquare/penalty area thing yet was penalised for doing so. However interestingly this rule led to far far less pack than you'd see in a modern day AFL match. Maybe the AFL could think about implementing something similar?

I think it would have been far better had we had a mixture of the Irish and Aussie commentary teams. Having Brian Taylor Eddie & Dermie there made it feel just like a AFL match. Dull, boring, everyday. Listening to those cult-sounding Paddy commentators would have been far more interesting, and a far better representation of the unique internationalness of the series. Also we'd have had a better understanding of not only the rules of Gaelic Football but the culture and possibly the personalities of the Irish national sport as well.

The fixture has left an impression with me. It is no longer a kick & giggle hybrid practise match, but a fiercely-fought and highly unique sporting occasion.

I'd like to learn more about Gaelic football. Can you see it on Aussie TV?

Anyway, to our quick-witted Paddy friends (even O'Neill), thanks for making Bigfooty fun over the last couple of weeks.

Slainte, as they say.

JF

PS:- Like Peter, I'm thinking of turning up to Melbourne & maybe even Adelaide for the IR series next year. Maybe if the Cheer Squads League mothers group got their act together, we could organise an Australian Cheer Squad, with Fremantle bringing their green floggers and either Richmond or the Lions bringing their yellow ones. (And Carlton maybe bringing their blue ones as well.) I was disappointed that there was no banner on Friday as well.

aflconvert
2nd November 2003, 06:56 PM
I thought it was a great game too even f I didnt have your staying power , Julian ( I had to settle for recording the game and watching it on Saturday afternoon)

Three points I'd like to make

1. I agree totally about the blue Aussie jerseys - they just dont look right. Blue and gold were our official colours for many years but theyre not now and no sporting team ever wore blue and gold anyway ; the real colours have always been green and gold . So given that Irish colours and green,gold and white and ours and green and gold green for Ireland and gold for Australia would be better ( like last nights Rubgy game )

2. I'd liike to see best of 3 games (with first score in extra time wins in event of a draw )- seeing our guys go beserk after losing the game because the 2 game-total scores were in our favour left me feeling a bit flat

3. Game in Sydney - please

lescygnes
3rd November 2003, 09:23 AM
why there wasnt a game of the IR series in Sydney just defies logic.

how the hell are the AFL going to push the game in NSW and Qld when there isnt a game of the IR in either state????

further proof that the AFL hasnt got the balls to really push the game away from the heartland.

all IMHO!!!!

cheers
John

anne
3rd November 2003, 10:42 AM
There would be no point having a game in Sydney as hardly anyone would go.

lescygnes
3rd November 2003, 10:46 AM
GARBAGE!!!!!

penga
3rd November 2003, 12:42 PM
there'd be a stack of irish in the crowd in sydney, thats for sure...

i personally like the jerseys, i want to get myself one as a bday present to myself, hopefully with 31 on the back :D

i LOVE watching it, so much drama!

Rizzo
3rd November 2003, 12:44 PM
No point this year with the World Cup but in two years time I think we in Sydney deserve a look.

Jakovich - The indirect penalty was for taking the ball outside of the goal area (the replayed show it was only just)

Tackling - Seemed to me that the two umpires policed this very differently so it depended on which end of the groung the tackle happened.

Disallowed Goal - I was incensed by this. There was a lot happening but I could see why we should have been penalised

Crowd - The Irish crowd kick our arse in passion, cheering and singing.

3 game series - The Irish want this and it makes sense however the Aussies will rule it out because of the AFL preseason. I thought the loss on Sat night might put a damper on taking the series but the reaction of our boys make up for it.

Irish Players - The skill displayed was amazing, particularly with dribbling, soloing and generally following the flight of the ball (the Aussies would pause a contests waiting to see which way the ball would bounce, it generally keeps going in a straight line). Crossing over to the oval ball in a huge change....

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th November 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo

Crowd - The Irish crowd kick our arse in passion, cheering and singing.

It was even worse at the rugby the next night. 10000 Paddies going nuts totally outcheering 42000 north shore snobs down from Sydney.

I laughed ruefully when I saw a shot of one Wallaby fan trying to get "Waltzing Matilda" going. Everyone around him was glaring at him like Diego & I got glared at at the Collingwood match.

A night when I was ashamed to be Australian.

JF :confused: :mad: