PDA

View Full Version : Best Swan to wear number 3?

liz
9th August 2011, 11:59 PM
Scott is back from his overseas jaunt but claims to be jet-lagged. So I figured I might as well move things along with "Best Swan to wear number 3?"

Cheat sheet is here www.redandwhiteonline.com (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=numbers)

laughingnome
10th August 2011, 12:17 AM
Can't really go past Lewis or Healy, can we? Don't know much about the older names for this one. I'm going with Lewis because he was my favourite player as a kid.

swannielady
10th August 2011, 12:22 AM
Can't really go past Lewis or Healy, can we? Don't know much about the older names for this one. I'm going with Lewis because he was my favourite player as a kid.

Agree, Healy was a great player and Dale Lewis was v talented, dont think we ever saw his full potential though. I remember one match at the SCG and we were all screaming at Dale Lewis about how he was playing down at our end of the field, only to get home, watch the replay and discover he was best on ground!!

Big Al
10th August 2011, 08:53 AM
Gerard Healy was a marvelous footballer and is my pick. However I've always had a soft spot for the stylish Dale Lewis. I'll always remember his goal in the 96 prelim to get us back within a kick on that great night. Kel to Maxfield, 2 bounces long kick to Dale who marks and slots it from 20. Yeah, I can vaguely remember it. ;)

Plugger46
10th August 2011, 11:10 AM
Nick Daffy, what a great pick up! Never forget his one and only appearance in a smashing of Carlton at Princes Park. Had not been anywhere near the footy all day, ran on to a loose ball in the last quarter and kicked a goal, then celebrated like a maniac.

Healy in answer to the question.

stellation
10th August 2011, 11:54 AM
Dale Lewis, like so many great players, had so much time with the ball- others may have used it to look for teammates to hit up, Dale used it to look for a camera to make sure it got his best side.

Damien
10th August 2011, 11:55 AM
Healy by a country mile. I worshipped him as a kid!

Triple B
10th August 2011, 12:23 PM
Healy by a country mile. I worshipped him as a kid!

Yep ^^^^

Nick Daffy, what a great pick up!

He was actually instrumental in winning us the flag in a roundabout sort of way. If we didn't package up Daffy in the Barry Hall deal, we couldn't get the Hall deal done. It's fair to say BBBBH was instrumental, therefore.......

And that was a good day at Optus/Princes/Visy...

Plugger46
10th August 2011, 12:33 PM
Yep ^^^^

He was actually instrumental in winning us the flag in a roundabout sort of way. If we didn't package up Daffy in the Barry Hall deal, we couldn't get the Hall deal done. It's fair to say BBBBH was instrumental, therefore.......

And that was a good day at Optus/Princes/Visy...

Yeah spot on, I guess he was worth it then!

Triple B
10th August 2011, 12:34 PM
:)

Chilcott
10th August 2011, 01:20 PM
Frank BREW (beer mmmm), then Gerard Healy.

ScottH
10th August 2011, 02:05 PM
Laconical Lewis, I remember best!!
I recall Healy being a pretty damned fine player as well, but that stretches my memory a bit.

Big Al
10th August 2011, 02:13 PM
I just can't wait for the Plugger v Ben Matthews debate in the #4 jumper thread.

Dosser
10th August 2011, 03:07 PM
As much as I loved Lewis, Healy's Brownlow gets him over the line. A great player to watch in a great team.

Frog
10th August 2011, 04:31 PM
^^^ This one.

Lewis. Frustrating most times. Bucketloads of talent. Loath to use it most times. At his best, the best number 3 around, but for consistency he loses it.

Brettb
10th August 2011, 06:31 PM
One has been inducted into the AFL Hall of fame, the other never will be, says it all really.

Gerard Healy by the length of the Flemington straight.

Wardy
10th August 2011, 07:22 PM
I just can't wait for the Plugger v Ben Matthews debate in the #4 jumper thread.

Indeed Al, Indeed!!!

Bloody Hell
11th August 2011, 04:31 AM

Dale Lewis, like so many great players, had so much time with the ball- others may have used it to look for teammates to hit up, Dale used it to look for a camera to make sure it got his best side.

+1

I'm developing a pattern for my favouritiest players. They either have to be an exceptionally good defender, or a forward with a penchant for the mercurial.

goswannie14
11th August 2011, 09:00 AM
I can remember back as far as Mick Stilo, but in answer to the question, it is a no contest.....Healy.

Doctor J.
12th August 2011, 12:12 AM
I can remember back as far as Mick Stilo, but in answer to the question, it is a no contest.....Healy.

Micky Stilo. Definitely a good nomination for best no.3. Beaten only by G Healy. Honorable mention to Dale Lewis

Triple B
12th August 2011, 01:04 PM
Honorable mention to Dale Lewis

I was waiting for you to wade into this thread....lol

Bloods05
12th August 2011, 02:27 PM
Brian McGowan was pretty damn good.

Kevin Parker left at the end of 1966 to go and live in Spain, where he became a professional bullfighter. True story.

lwjoyner
14th August 2011, 10:57 AM
A note to the moderator> can you please check bruce sloss who played 81 games. Only 3 yrs on list of numbers

ScottH
14th August 2011, 12:16 PM
A note to the moderator> can you please check bruce sloss who played 81 games. Only 3 yrs on list of numbers

Noted: I'll look into it.
Do you have more details for me??
Thanks

lwjoyner
14th August 2011, 06:49 PM
only that he played 1910-1914 81 games and won the chamion of the colony in 1912. was killed in ww1.

ScottH
14th August 2011, 08:36 PM
only that he played 1910-1914 81 games and won the chamion of the colony in 1912. was killed in ww1.

Cheers mate.

Cap| #| Player| DOB| HT| WT| Games| Goals| Seasons| Debut| Last
231| 21| Sloss, Bruce| 1889-01-21| 180cm| 76kg| 81| 44| 1910-1914| 21y 162d| 25y 248d

source: AFL Tables - All Time Player List - Sydney (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/alltime/swans.html)

It is now corrected.