PDA

View Full Version : Its just the Wizard Cup

motorace_182
23rd February 2003, 10:10 PM
Why is everyone getting so dissappointed about a bloody Wizard Cup game. The swans just used it as a training or "checking them out" session. We were depleted at the back (Seymour, Saddington, Leaping Leo, Goodes due to ruck work), our midfield was without a few names(Doyle, Ball) and the forwards were missing a few names to(Davis, Buchanan.) There are prob more missing as well.
All im saying is: Its a game no-one really gave to tosses about, so why is everyone reading so much into it?

tez
23rd February 2003, 10:28 PM
Yes I agree. I went to the game with no big expectations,just
to see how the new young blokes performed and thought
they did ok. When we are playing for premiership points
it would be a bit different. Not to say we would beat the
Lions but give them a run for their money.

we did get a bit from the game that IMO Schauble is not
the answer as a full back long term.

desredandwhite
23rd February 2003, 11:10 PM
It might "only be the Wizard Cup", but I don't like losing ANY games :)

I think the disappointing aspect is seeing how far we need to go to match the likes of Brisbane. A fair bit of "same old, same old" feeling as well, when you see the spilt marks, botched kicks and general hilarious incompetence!

LondonSwan
23rd February 2003, 11:42 PM
Des

Is that you or someone impersonating you, not even I would be that scathing but I agree that they do need to improve. To see what I mean - go to a training session. Fremantle and West Coast seem to be at it all the time.

They dont seem to be working on the skills area enough - they do run a lot though.

Andy

desredandwhite
23rd February 2003, 11:45 PM
Andy,

I don't know how many of our games you have seen, but the deja vu tends to become a bit monotonous at times ;-)

still, hope springs eternal, etc etc etc. I always start each season believing we're capable of challenging for the flag ;-)

Jimmy C
23rd February 2003, 11:49 PM
For mine, I'm in the camp that says "Bummer-we lost. Glad the footy's back though.".

We aren't yet going to match more teams than the Lions this year. Don't forget the "re-building process" that we all seemed so happy to accept at the end of last season.

Bring it on, I say. Hopefully we won't be too disappointed or frustrated by the boys' efforts.

LondonSwan
23rd February 2003, 11:53 PM
Des

The thing that bugs me is they have some damned good players but there seems to be a need to fire them up.

I wish they could find out what is wrong with Nicks - I am only stabbing at it but he seems to have lost heart. At his best he is bloody top class but now!!!

I am now starting to watch a few more games that have been sent to me and I have bought a few tapes since I have been here.

Andy

Jimmy C
23rd February 2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by LondonSwan
I wish they could find out what is wrong with Nicks - I am only stabbing at it but he seems to have lost heart. At his best he is bloody top class but now!!!

Nicks is now becoming a frustrating player to observe (although he's not alone). Was it a case , perhaps, of an average player looking excellent in a side of under-achievers? Maybe he's having a hard time juggling footy and Tammin Sursok.

treespirit
24th February 2003, 07:32 AM
Kick, mark, handpass. Basic skills that are (still) not up to par. Thay is what I saw, Wizard Cup or not. They're still crap.

LondonSwan
24th February 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
Nicks is now becoming a frustrating player to observe (although he's not alone). Was it a case , perhaps, of an average player looking excellent in a side of under-achievers? Maybe he's having a hard time juggling footy and Tammin Sursok.

I dont think so - he is a class act and would be welcome in many sides. Notwithstanding, he needs someone to look closely at him.

He was still spruiking for Captaincy this year but anyone seriously thinking along this line would not have behaved at a training session the way he did in the sprints.

In my opinion this guy may need to have a talk with a sports psychologist. I still think naming him VC would go a long way to restoring his faith in himself.

BTW ANYONE KNOW WHETHER WE ARE PLAYING ANYWHERE THIS WEEKEND?

Charlie
24th February 2003, 04:04 PM
Coffs Harbour. Are you here on another holiday LS? Make a weekend of it if you can go, it's a nice place... the right balance between touristy and genuine.

Grant
24th February 2003, 04:38 PM
Do we know who its against,and when?

I havent heard anything,normally i would have by now.

Grant
24th February 2003, 05:12 PM
Its alright i just looked it up.
We play carlton at coffs harbour at 1:30(local time)on saturday afternoon.

LondonSwan
24th February 2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Coffs Harbour. Are you here on another holiday LS? Make a weekend of it if you can go, it's a nice place... the right balance between touristy and genuine.

Im back in Perth, Charlie, but I have a few dollars available for travel - where is this Coffs Harbour - is it an interside match or are they playing someone else. Thanks for the info but I have a feeling if it is a harbour you are hoping I 'll walk off the end of the pier! :D

LondonSwan
24th February 2003, 08:50 PM
Well I would expect a win there - they were dismal in the first round. Complacency would be our only problem.

Charlie
24th February 2003, 09:21 PM
Coffs Harbour = about half way up the coast between Sydney and Brisbane.

And why would I want you to drown? I live for the day when you choke as you apologise to Roos and Maxfield. ;) Keep cool.

desredandwhite
24th February 2003, 09:50 PM
well, we were pretty damn ordinary on the weekend too! Though Brisbane has the ability to make a LOT of sides look bad.

It'll be interesting to see what Roos does - does he try to run the senior side into form, or give extended looks at the kids/fringe players?

Maybe a bit of both, a la Aus v England @ Upton Park? :D

Reggi
24th February 2003, 10:27 PM
You'd imagine he would put Maxfield Williams and Cresswell in cotton wool.

Fair bit of panic merchandising going on around here.

Hopefully Roos will give Schneider, Powell, Ablett, Thewlis, Dempster, McVeigh, Stevens, Meiklejohn etc every opportunity to stake a claim.

Our list is light on for developing midfielders, heaps of effort needs to go into Ablett, McVeigh and Schneider.

We are going to have headaches with injuries.

jude_boltons_babe
24th February 2003, 10:29 PM
we are playing collingwood in coffs harbour hope the swans go well

LondonSwan
24th February 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Coffs Harbour = about half way up the coast between Sydney and Brisbane.

And why would I want you to drown? I live for the day when you choke as you apologise to Roos and Maxfield. ;) Keep cool.

LOL - I pissed myself when I read this - Roos I will apologise to and be glad to because it will mean we have done well.

Maxfield - well Charlie - I would garotte myself on a spike before I would utter anything. :D

LondonSwan
24th February 2003, 10:36 PM
Hey is it Collingwood or Carlton.

liz
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe

That may come as a bit of a surprise to Mick'n'Eddie.

desredandwhite
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe

Sorry Melanie, we're playing Carlton. Collingwood beat Carlton, therefore they play in the second round of the wizard cup on the weekend.

SWANSBEST
JAB

We are playing Carlton