PDA

View Full Version : Injuries update

SWANSBEST
24th February 2003, 06:54 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6031398-23211,00.html

gloveski
24th February 2003, 09:49 AM
Worrying signs.......I can see a very underdone Swans side running out in Round One

swan_song
24th February 2003, 03:42 PM
Very interesting... more so for the fact that I raised the issue of the hardness of the SCG and the bus-stop oval last year on this very board... no one seemed to take it seriously. Even then I was concerned that the hardness was contributing to injuries and fatigue, and the inability of some players to master basic skills, such as kicking properly...
Maybe I should be coach...:D

floppinab
24th February 2003, 04:39 PM
This is pretty piss poor IMO.

It's no use winging about it now the horse has well and truely headed out to Coogee.
Why the hell hasn't anything been done about it. We've got an injury list longer than my arm and we've had the team doing 100 sprints on a rock hard surface, and are paying the price for it.

I've noted the nature of the SCG surface for a while. Since the refurb in, '99 I think it was, the new surface was designed with "giving the batsmen full value for their shots" in mind, and very fast drainage to get rid of rain storm water quickly, not a long hard season of football.
I believe the Olympic Stadium surface is a lot better in that regard, having a lot more soil in it and subsequently a lot more give.

penga
25th February 2003, 11:18 AM
i got a major fright when i looked at the official injury list, the first line has [Jason Ball - Groin - Season] i almost fainted but it was as of rd 20 last season

Rizzo
25th February 2003, 01:31 PM
Doesn't help that we have had the worst drought in 100 years!

skilts stilts
25th February 2003, 01:35 PM
Just add this to the long list of excuses you will hear from Roos this year.Expect the expected.

penga
25th February 2003, 04:01 PM
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=injurylist

well it looks like that only james wont be available with the option of o'loughlin being out, therefore we have a next to full strength side... i was very happy to see that ball isnt listed as being injured, same as LRT... could these 2 be in cotton wool

Charlie
25th February 2003, 04:06 PM
Based on the injury list penga just posted, at this stage the only senior players I wouldn't expect to play in round 1 are Buchanan and O'Loughlin. The others should be all right.

blinddog
25th February 2003, 10:23 PM
Speaking to some friends, the ground is a lot harder than the Melbourne grounds. Also in the summer the SCG is groomed to make the ball go to the boundary, footy is very much a second to the SCG trust. I am sure the likes of Alan Jones would love to see the Swans have a great year! For those that don't know Alan Jones is on the SCG Trust board and coached the Aust Union side in the 80s and has been attached to different league teams over the past few years, not sure who on the SCG board has a historic connection with AFL.

Diego
25th February 2003, 10:33 PM
I've noticed in the past 3 years the playing surface resembling more like the fields they play NFL on.

For a while there the SCG had a nice plush soft surface that would turn to mush as soon it rained. Yet we didn't have the amount of injuries we have now. If I can recall all this started around 99ish.

Cheer Cheer
26th February 2003, 09:20 PM
Even if we do get the majority back for round 1, im very worried about match practice for the players who have been off.
Looks like we wont be in full flow till round 4 or 5, by then it may be too late ie - bulldogs last yr - but i sincerely hope i am proven wrong.

CureTheSane
26th February 2003, 11:51 PM
So do I, but that was a damn good point.

Ball still worries me.
I mean he's been injured for 1 1/2 years, and hasn't played a single game!

What happens when he takes a few thumps?
He'll be laid up for a couple more years.....

Dpw
27th February 2003, 08:58 AM
Iam real worried about ball, in a article in the Inside footy mag it has his stats and it works out for every two games he plays he misses one (just about ). I really hope they can get him sorted really quick.

Ajn
1st March 2003, 10:50 AM
that's why he only has a one year contract.....to prove his fitness!

Cheer Cheer
1st March 2003, 01:34 PM
This is his last shot at the swans, no doubt, and by the way he has started his preseason it looks like his last year.
Harsh, but true. Even if he does get back round 1 or 2 I cant see him contributing much due to no match time for 4-5 weeks.
Looking pretty beak for one J.Ball atm
A one year contract is very good management by the swans.

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 03:13 PM
As I have already stated - I have seen him at training on 3 occasions now and he looked proppy but its maybe his natural action. Wilst he has bulked up he still looks too finely put togethor to take a lot of bullocking. I dont see him playing a lot of games in the early part of the season.:( :confused:

Reggi
2nd March 2003, 05:43 PM
Any news on the injury status of LRT and Hunt.

Not listed as being out but no news whatsoever.

Anyone know?

SWANSBEST
3rd March 2003, 06:27 AM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,6066106%255E20322,00.html

penga
3rd March 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,6066106%255E20322,00.html

absolutely marvellous to hear that ball and davis are due back, u could almost say start... with bolton back as well

penga
5th March 2003, 05:38 PM
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=77342

how inept is and has the swans injury list always been, y doesnt it have nick davis and jason ball on it????

anyway, good to see that they are all coming along

from http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=77339

"The Canberra trial should see the return of many familiar faces, with Jason Ball, Stephen Doyle, Craig Bolton, Stuart Maxfield, Paul Williams, Daryn Creswell and Adam Goodes all pushing for a run. Nick Davis and Leo Barry are not expected to make their return, however Paul Roos has indicated that they shouldnt be far off."

heres to a succesful year with hardly any injuries!
:rolleyes:

Reggi
5th March 2003, 07:22 PM
I think some players aren't injured as such, just that there preparation is delayed rather than injured.

Still be nice to know

blinddog
5th March 2003, 11:47 PM
not that it make smuch difference but Heath Jame si s up and a running, now as long as he doe snot get sent to any school excursions;)