PDA

View Full Version : TLM favourite?

Charlie
14th January 2003, 12:55 PM
So, who is your early favourite for the Troy Luff Medal?

I'll save this poll in my favourites and see how everyone's expectations turn out at the end of the year.

TheMase
14th January 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
So, who is your early favourite for the Troy Luff Medal?

I'll save this poll in my favourites and see how everyone's expectations turn out at the end of the year.

Adam Goodes.

Mike_B
14th January 2003, 01:30 PM
If he stays fit, I'd have to go for Stuey....

jude_boltons_babe
14th January 2003, 01:49 PM
as you know im a fan of adam and judes and i think they are in with a chance i think paul williams might get it

snajik
14th January 2003, 02:05 PM
It may simply depend on who has replaced Kel as the crowd favourite. I imagine that when voting, a fair number of posters would choose from a pre-determined or limited pool of players to begin with, and not always notice the real contributors. So therefore, as I suspect that Hally will stay out of trouble this year and subsequently kick more goals than last year, his performances will attract enough votes to edge him over the line.

j s
14th January 2003, 02:14 PM
I'll go for BBBH

NMWBloods
14th January 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by j s
I'll go for BBBH

Same - looks like he's the frontrunner at this stage, judging by the poll.

Charlie
14th January 2003, 02:18 PM
snajik, you're right to a certain extent. Each week, the number of players who registered votes hovered around 6-14, depending on how well 1-2 players dominated the match. If it was an even performance, usually more than half the team scored votes.

There didn't appear to be any emphasis on fan favourites, even Brett Kirk, who is regularly maligned by fans, polled votes in the later rounds. It certainly did appear to go along the lines of who played well that week. The only concession to favouritism may have been PK, we were all so impressed with his unexpected early season form, that he polled 20 votes by round 7.

I picked Barry Hall as well, because a trend from last year was that when Bazza kicked 5 or more, he always took 4-5 votes. Consistency will get him across the line I think because his role is so visible.

A swans fan
14th January 2003, 02:34 PM
I also picked Barry Hall.

If he can maintain consistency, control his aggression (ie not get suspended!), he will kick a bag of goals for us this season!

snajik
14th January 2003, 02:35 PM
Yes, Charlie - they are my thoughts on Hally as well. It's funny that you single out Kirky, as he is one of my favourite players, and I'd be more inclined to give him a vote if he plays well because I tend to follow his game more so than that of some of his teammates. Having said that, I suspect that a player like Kirk needs to play exceptionally to attract votes, whereas Williams or Maxfield say, may only need to play well. Kirk blanketed a number of opposition playmakers in 2002, but that isn't something that most would notice. For a rookie, he has done very well in my book.

Charlie
14th January 2003, 02:40 PM
Speaking of Willo - the lack of support for the reigning champ is rather surprising!!!

Mike_B
14th January 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by snajik
Having said that, I suspect that a player like Kirk needs to play exceptionally to attract votes, whereas Williams or Maxfield say, may only need to play well. Kirk blanketed a number of opposition playmakers in 2002, but that isn't something that most would notice. For a rookie, he has done very well in my book.

Agree totally here, IMHO its the ones who do contribute in 'obvious' ways (eg kick goals, win lots of possessions etc) who tend to attract the attention, simply because we watch where the ball is...hence the blanketing jobs are the ones that are often just as valuable if not more valuable, but don't get the appropriate recognition.

A swans fan
14th January 2003, 03:23 PM
Willo for a three-peat???

Would love to see that, but surely the odds are not in his favour!

NMWBloods
14th January 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
There didn't appear to be any emphasis on fan favourites

Huh? What do you mean - Bolton actually polled some votes!! ;)

j s
14th January 2003, 04:36 PM
During the Brownlow last year we did a round by round comparison of TLM votes with those of the umps. With only a few exceptions the players who got ump votes also got the TLM votes for that round and often in the same order. The correlation was quite strong.

Charlie
14th January 2003, 06:01 PM
Just a question, do people think that the TLM should include the Wizard Cup? What about finals?

It's easy enough to do, just a question of whether it should or not.

Charlie

desredandwhite
14th January 2003, 06:21 PM
FWIW, I think it SHOULD include finals (preseason comp is 100% mickey mouse, esp with the new rules).

I can understand the brownlow/coleman not including finals as it gives all the players equal games to play with.. but all TLM candidates will have access to the same finals.

Cheer Cheer
14th January 2003, 07:50 PM
The young Irishmen for mine

CureTheSane
14th January 2003, 08:01 PM
I went for Maxfield.

If the captaincy has the effect that I think it will on him, he will take quite a few steps up and have a blinder :)

Grant
14th January 2003, 08:15 PM
Goodes for mine.

I'm tipping a big consistant year from him,i think he will cause opposition quite a few headaches this year.

Jeffers1984
14th January 2003, 08:19 PM
Willo to Three-peat for me

Goodsey to come a close second

Jeffers1984
14th January 2003, 08:21 PM
oooops this is for the TLM not Best and Fairest :D:D

neways Willo to go Back to Back

With goodes coming a close second

liz
14th January 2003, 09:37 PM
I've gone for O'Loughlin. I have a feeling he's going to have a blinder of a season this year to prove all the doubters wrong.

robbieando
14th January 2003, 10:42 PM
I went for Other I think Stephen Doyle will win

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 12:09 AM
barry hall was playing great football last year

silent lurker
15th January 2003, 03:01 AM
I'll go for a continuation of the recent best and fairest trend and predict Nick Davis for TLM.

ugg
15th January 2003, 01:54 PM
I voted for Magic and if he does produce the form to win it, the Swans should still be alive come September.

Dave
15th January 2003, 02:49 PM
I think if Willo keeps up the form he hit in the second half of last season, he will be hard to beat again.

treespirit
16th January 2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
FWIW, I think it SHOULD include finals (preseason comp is 100% mickey mouse, esp with the new rules).

I can understand the brownlow/coleman not including finals as it gives all the players equal games to play with.. but all TLM candidates will have access to the same finals.

Agree completely.

j s
16th January 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by treespirit
Agree completely.
Yes, definitely! I want to vote all those extra times :p

Sydneyfan
16th January 2003, 01:07 PM
Tadhg, the Irishman.

My early tip for the Brownlow, call me optimistic! ;)

18th January 2003, 08:36 AM
Goodes for mine.

And Charlie, if we make the finals (fingers and toes crossed) the voting should continue. Leave out the pre season though.