PDA

View Full Version : Swans delist Seymour

DST
14th November 2003, 11:25 AM
Seems like that will be it now, probably a good idea considering James has been elevated can't afford to many players that are under an injury cloud.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=126772

DST
:D

GoBloods
14th November 2003, 11:29 AM
i heard on radio , 11am news ,that swans have delisted brad seymour and that he intends to relocate to melbourne to possibly further his career

Bart
14th November 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by DST
Seems like that will be it now, probably a good idea considering James has been elevated can't afford to many players that are under an injury cloud.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=126772

DST

Not that surprised really. Good luck Brad. A tough nut defender who unfortunately was injured when we needed his toughness.

Its pretty clear that the club did try and get something for him in the trade period to no avail.

penga
14th November 2003, 11:37 AM
IMO, it shouldve really happened last year, oh well, good luck snapper in the future...

Mike_B
14th November 2003, 11:43 AM
A very valuable member of the club when fit - unfortunately that was not very often at all over the past few years.

Thanks for the 10 years Snapper (you've got Life Membership now as recognition of that), and best of luck!

Rizzo
14th November 2003, 11:55 AM
Looks like he will be melbourne bound and left the club on good terms.

Ryan Bomford
14th November 2003, 12:00 PM
One of the last of '96 GF team. Didn't realise he was still so young (27). May pick up an opportunity on one of the rebuilding Melbourne sides.

TheMase
14th November 2003, 12:19 PM
I think this could be a decent sign that we will pick up someone in the pre-season draft.

May be Ray Hall ...

Good luck to Brad. I wouldn't count his chances of getting a big chance at another club, but hopefully for him it will work out.

I don't think we have lost THAT much there, just getting rid of more old wood off our list (why couldn't warfe go!!)

CureTheSane
14th November 2003, 12:53 PM
Only yesterday I posted how Paul Licuria was the only Swan I can remember who we lost and I really wanted to keep.
Now there are two :(

But I understand the POV from both the club and the player, and hope he comes back as strong as ever (but is pummelled by a Swan when playing against us :D)

Cheer Cheer
14th November 2003, 12:58 PM
I was hoping there would be a footnote at the bottom of the article saying also in other news rowan warfe has been let go too...

midaro
14th November 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
I was hoping there would be a footnote at the bottom of the article saying also in other news rowan warfe has been let go too...

Same.

I always read the delisting order as:

Warfe - Certain
Seymour - 50/50
Nicks - Unlikely, but possible

Whoever gave Warfe that three year deal should be put up against a wall and shot.

Ryan Bomford
14th November 2003, 01:26 PM
Maybe the SWANS are doing too good a job in 'list management'. I'm getting confused, how many vacancies do we now have on the player and rookie lists? Is there enough talent around this year to fill the vacant spots?

TheMase
14th November 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Maybe the SWANS are doing too good a job in 'list management'. I'm getting confused, how many vacancies do we now have on the player and rookie lists? Is there enough talent around this year to fill the vacant spots?

Departing:

Cresswell, MacPherson, Hunt, Seymour, Buchanan.
+ spare spot on list at start of season = 6 places

James and Meiklejohn promoted = 4 places

We have 4 draft picks.

Or we could use 3 of them and get a player in the pre-season draft.

timthefish
14th November 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Departing:

We have 4 draft picks.

and stevens too? = 5 spots.

Rod_
14th November 2003, 02:10 PM
I would have liked to have seen him fit and on the field - but agree that we don't need too many 50 / 50 players... I would say that he was dissapointed on being touted as tradable and this is his choice to get another chance.......?

At the start of this season I would have had him in my starting 22 and having a shocking season with injuries has also helped him talk the swans into delisting him?? No fact but speculation!!

Best of luck to Brad and family - My guess 30 to 70 % chance of rebirth at another club?

Rod_

BAM_BAM
14th November 2003, 02:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was in a good mood until I read this.

what a very disappointing way to finish with us.

14th November 2003, 02:48 PM
We now have five vacant spots, 4 picks before the 50th mark and all teams are required to use the full quota of 38. Given that we had come out and stated that we are not going to draft anyone after 50th pick, this is a very likely indication that Ray Hall is Sydney-bounded.

While he is (and wont be) a world beater, replacing Seymour with Hall clearly improves our list.

Ajn
14th November 2003, 02:52 PM
never liked him, glad to see him go.

Was hard working, but continually gave away stupid free kicks.

Bring on the draft!

Ryan Bomford
14th November 2003, 02:52 PM
With 5 spots w/ or w/o Hall, also leaves the option of redrafting McGlone and/or Buchanan.

sharpie
14th November 2003, 02:55 PM
This really has become an extremely disappointing trading/drafting period for the swans IMO. It seems to have gone from bad to worse, after failing to turn over the list during the trading week. The only way to salvage some consolation would be to nab Ray Hall in the PSD. And that is still no certainty.

Charlie
14th November 2003, 04:07 PM
I wonder if there's been a deal set up with Richmond - they can pick Seymour up, they delist Hall so we can pick him up in the national draft (there's a better chance there, I'm certain of it), we both get something out of a situation where we might otherwise get nothing.

Richmond have 4th selection in the PSD - Bulldogs take Rawlings, Carlton Stevens, Melbourne will take Read if anyone... that would mean that Seymour is Richmond's if they want him.

Thanks for all your good service Snapper, and good luck.

Now... who has Warfe got incriminating photos of???

i'm-uninformed2
14th November 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I wonder if there's been a deal set up with Richmond - they can pick Seymour up, they delist Hall so we can pick him up in the national draft (there's a better chance there, I'm certain of it), we both get something out of a situation where we might otherwise get nothing.

Geez, Charlie, they should have had you on the Chase for Skase. The way you picked that conspiracy theory up when no one else did. We all got confused by other clubs having picks ahead of us to take Hall . . .

Good work Charlie

Bleed Red Blood
14th November 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Departing:

We have 4 draft picks.

What about McGlone,Crawford all those rokkies didnt we let them go to?

Dave
14th November 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods
i heard on radio , 11am news ,that swans have delisted brad seymour and that he intends to relocate to melbourne to possibly further his career

I heard it was actually to further his wife's career (modelling business) and if lucky he felt he could get picked up by another club. How...dedicated. Looks like Snapper might have to do his own washing now!

Glad to see him go. He has been playing frustrating footy for a few years now. He actually used to be on of my fave's.

Now for Nicks and Warfe...

Ryan Bomford
14th November 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
What about McGlone,Crawford all those rokkies didnt we let them go to?

They were rookies - don't count on the player list of 38.

Dpw
14th November 2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for a job well done and best of luck.

robbieando
14th November 2003, 08:20 PM
I think the new rule is that each club must have at least 37 players on their senior list.

Bleed Red Blood
14th November 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
They were rookies - don't count on the player list of 38.

so we have 7 places and are most likely to pick 4 in the national draft plus Hall if we can get him in the Pre season that puts our list back up to 36?

Are we doing to much cleansing of our list?

I didnt think Amon and Hunt were given a good chance before being delisted.

robbieando
14th November 2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
so we have 7 places and are most likely to pick 4 in the national draft plus Hall if we can get him in the Pre season that puts our list back up to 36?

Plus we are brining up MJ and James from the Rookie List so that would make 38. If we don't get Hall in the pre season draft, I think we'll go in with 37 on the senior list and make the decision on the 38th spot during the Wizard Cup (Weather or not we promote a rookie or not)

I didnt think Amon and Hunt were given a good chance before being delisted.

Sadly thats the why things go and I doubt they were major players in future plans anyway

Bear
14th November 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
This really has become an extremely disappointing trading/drafting period for the swans IMO. It seems to have gone from bad to worse, after failing to turn over the list during the trading week. The only way to salvage some consolation would be to nab Ray Hall in the PSD. And that is still no certainty.

IMO the only loss has been Stevens, especially from a short list, and I am disappointed that he didn't get more opportunities in the backline to show his stuff.

None of the others have been important players except Cressa who's time was up.

Destructive
14th November 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Not that surprised really. Good luck Brad. A tough nut defender who unfortunately was injured when we needed his toughness.

Its pretty clear that the club did try and get something for him in the trade period to no avail.

My thoughts exactly.

taurus
14th November 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was in a good mood until I read this.

what a very disappointing way to finish with us.

I feel the same way...

Looks like I need to change my sig...:frown

Glenn
15th November 2003, 11:09 AM
Seems it was at the request of Seymour himself to help with his wife career and his young family, fair enough...question remains would he be picked up by a club given his injury probs:confused:

Xie Shan
15th November 2003, 07:27 PM
Now... who has Warfe got incriminating photos of???

I was thinking that too! What is he, a protected species? :confused:

My 'conspiracy theory' was slightly different.
It seemed a bit strange to trade Stevens plus a 2nd round pick for a slightly higher 2nd rounder (pick 29?) and a 3rd rounder (45) - but looking at the draft order, that puts us ahead of both Adelaide and Port in the 2nd round, and gives us 45 and 47 in the 4th round. IMO they have their eye on a SA kid that they think won't last to the 3rd round and want to pick him up ahead of Crows and Port.

On the picks 45 and 47, it seems a bit odd to have 2 later-picks so close together, so I reckon they're punting on re-drafting McGlone, which they'll do if there's no-one else of interest left by then, so we'll get 3 new faces in the draft + McGlone or perhaps even Ray Hall. I don't know if any clubs are interested in McGlone though.

I thought Meiklejohn could stay on the rookie list though, given he's only been here a year? Then maybe Buchanan or Hunt would have been spared, or McGlone could have been promoted, as Meiklejohn would most likely play only if Ball/Doyle are out anyway.

Charlie
15th November 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83

On the picks 45 and 47, it seems a bit odd to have 2 later-picks so close together, so I reckon they're punting on re-drafting McGlone, which they'll do if there's no-one else of interest left by then, so we'll get 3 new faces in the draft + McGlone or perhaps even Ray Hall. I don't know if any clubs are interested in McGlone though.

Problem with that though is that there is no need to mess around like that - we could've simply promoted McGlone straight onto the list. Because of this, I'm almost certain that McGlone does not figure in our plans. Also, it's not Ray Hall because they were negotiating to get him in a trade, but Richmond didn't want to play. He wasn't delisted, so he's not eligible to nominate in the National Draft.

The club has certainly been acting very strangely throughout the delist/trade/draft period. We've had the inexplicable Stevens trade, the bizarre survival skills of Warfe, the surprise delistings of McGlone and Hunt.... they just seem determined to confuse us...

aflconvert
16th November 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
Seems it was at the request of Seymour himself to help with his wife career and his young family, fair enough...question remains would he be picked up by a club given his injury probs:confused:

Delisting a player at his own request doesn't make sense to me or an I missing something

Unless he suddenly decided after the trade period that he wanted to go why not offer him as a trade .. you might get something in return. Delist and you get nothing

If he didnt retire and wasnt delisted against his wishes he obviously feels he has a chance elsewhere so why didnt the club at least try ?

Or is there something in the rules and tactics I have missed

Xie Shan
16th November 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Problem with that though is that there is no need to mess around like that - we could've simply promoted McGlone straight onto the list. Because of this, I'm almost certain that McGlone does not figure in our plans. Also, it's not Ray Hall because they were negotiating to get him in a trade, but Richmond didn't want to play. He wasn't delisted, so he's not eligible to nominate in the National Draft.

My theory was that the Swans haven't decided on McGlone, and may or may not re-draft him. Anyhow, i think we'll use four picks.
Wasn't sure whether Hall could enter the national draft though.

The club has certainly been acting very strangely throughout the delist/trade/draft period. We've had the inexplicable Stevens trade, the bizarre survival skills of Warfe, the surprise delistings of McGlone and Hunt.... they just seem determined to confuse us...

I think this just about sums it up - I might as well just assume that Roos and co know what they're doing. Saves time that way ;)

I hate the trade period!

Bleed Red Blood
16th November 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
and may or may not re-draft him.

I dont see what else we could do.:)

BAM_BAM
16th November 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by aflconvert
Delisting a player at his own request doesn't make sense to me or an I missing something

Unless he suddenly decided after the trade period that he wanted to go why not offer him as a trade .. you might get something in return. Delist and you get nothing

If he didnt retire and wasnt delisted against his wishes he obviously feels he has a chance elsewhere so why didnt the club at least try ?

Or is there something in the rules and tactics I have missed

It was rumoured he was offered up as a trade and wasn't wanted??

DST
18th November 2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
It was rumoured he was offered up as a trade and wasn't wanted??

He wasn't offered for trade he wanted and asked to be traded. The club agreed with this but could not close a deal.

In the end if Heath James was thought to be fully recovered and obiviously this is the case as they promoted him, then Seymour became obsolete and the club were happy to release him.

Nothing sinister, just player and club coming to the realisation it was time for both to move on.

McGlone is an interesting one and I suspect he was not promoted for a particular reason. The AFL stipulate that all clubs must draft at least three players in the draft, if we had promoted McGlone along with James & Mikeljohn and had managed to secure a couple of players during trading we would have been left with having to delist a semi required player with the hope that he would still be around to get in the draft again.

I think the coaching staff have taken the option of delisting him and picking McGlone up in the draft when they get to our fourth pick, and thus they left open spaces for traded players during the trading period (which in the end were not used).

Always need to have a contigency plan in place just in case something comes up.
DST

footyhead
19th November 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by DST

McGlone is an interesting one and I suspect he was not promoted for a particular reason. The AFL stipulate that all clubs must draft at least three players in the draft, if we had promoted McGlone along with James & Mikeljohn and had managed to secure a couple of players during trading we would have been left with having to delist a semi required player with the hope that he would still be around to get in the draft again.

:D [/B]

This is an interesting and optomistic theory.

I hope you are right, and that we get the scotty back.

DST
19th November 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
This is an interesting and optomistic theory.

I hope you are right, and that we get the scotty back.

It is optomistic, as we have to hope a) he is still around and b) we actually do want him back.

But in the end my theroy was based on the fact that with rules in place you sometimes need to take some risks in order to be flexible in case something else comes up.

DST

Bart
19th November 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DST
He wasn't offered for trade he wanted and asked to be traded. The club agreed with this but could not close a deal.

Yes he was offered. To Carlton,

DST
19th November 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Yes he was offered. To Carlton,

Bart, go back and read the thread.

Of cause he was offered to Carlton and everyone else, the point was he asked to be traded and it was not done in an underhanded way by the Swans as suggested in the post I was replying to.

DST

BAM_BAM
19th November 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DST
Bart, go back and read the thread.

Of cause he was offered to Carlton and everyone else, the point was he asked to be traded and it was not done in an underhanded way by the Swans as suggested in the post I was replying to.

DST

I wasn't suggesting it was in an underhanded way. I was just commenting that I had read he had been offered as as a trade with the "?? " asking for verification.

Noah
19th November 2003, 04:50 PM
Apparently, the only trade the swans were willing to do was for all three of Seymour, Warf and Nicks - not attractive to any club at the probable $$$.

If they were willing to split them up, perhaps it would have been a different story.

chammond
19th November 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Noah
Apparently, the only trade the swans were willing to do was for all three of Seymour, Warf and Nicks - not attractive to any club at the probable $$$.

If they were willing to split them up, perhaps it would have been a different story.

Apparently??

What's the source of your information?