PDA

View Full Version : Captaincy

Melbourne_Blood
31st May 2012, 11:20 PM
Sooner rather than later, ( next year hopefully) I would like to see The swans appoint a sole captain. Goodes is now a veteran and Mcveigh does not provide enough on field leadership IMO. They have both done a good job, don't get me wrong, but I would like us to name a younger, hard nosed player to lead our club into the future. We need a player who is tough, doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, is inspirational, and plays the game hard but fair. IMO, that man is Kieran Jack. He is the ideal age, is hard nosed, and can Lift the team with his performance. He cut his teeth as a negating run with player and is now a damaging two way midfielder. He has earnt his stripes the hard way and is now one of our best players. I also think he speaks very well off field in media stuff etc. and would be happy for him to be the face of our club. Im not saying leadership is a significant issue for us, but I think having Jack as our Captain could only be a positive for our clubs fortunes, on and off the field . Probably won't happen anytime soon, but I would be stoked if it did.

ScottH
1st June 2012, 09:26 AM
Valid points.
Jack is an obvious next step Captain, but as you have admitted I can't see that happening anytime soon.
Kennedy is another one who has put his hand up recently (is he in the leadership group?). Maybe he has more to worrying about in the middle of those packs than captaincy.

DamY
1st June 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't think Kennedy is, but don't quote me on that. I think when Richards and Smooch joined the leadership group I am pretty sure Kennedy wasn't in the shot.

ScottH
1st June 2012, 10:46 AM
I don't think Kennedy is, but don't quote me on that. I think when Richards and Smooch joined the leadership group I am pretty sure Kennedy wasn't in the shot.

Correct you are Damy.

Richards and Smith join Jude Bolton, Ryan O'Keefe, Rhyce Shaw and Jarred Moore, as well as Jack, Goodes and McVeigh, as coach John Longmire's go to men on the pitch.

Swans leadership group has balance: Jack (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/swans-leadership-group-has-balance-jack-20120221-1tkou.html)

wolftone57
2nd June 2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think Macca gives enough leadership on field. Last week all he was doing was back-chatting the umpies and playing for frees. A couple of times he was a bit soft too. I would love someone like Jack who is tough, unrelenting and media savvy. It is time for a younger leader as the others are nearing retirement. We need to look to the future not the past. If you look at that leadership group there are four who will be retiring in the next two years. Three probably at the end of the season. We need new blood there too.