PDA

View Full Version : They have Self Belief, that is nice.....

TheMase
25th February 2003, 01:20 PM
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=75553

Swans expect to play finals: Stevens
Ashley Browne
afl.com.au
12:53:36 PM Tue 25 February, 2003

Emerging Sydney forward Scott Stevens has declared that the Swans are final eight material on 2003.

The 21-year old from Perth told Sport 927 on Tuesday that there was a firm belief among the playing group at the club that they are good enough to take part in this year?s September action.

?We definitely expect to make the eight. We?ll go into every match expecting to win,? he said.

?On the other side we?ll have a very young squad, so we?ll be a bit erratic because of that. But there is a firm belief among the boys that we?ll make the eight.?

Stevens had 17 touches and took six marks against the Brisbane Lions in the Wizard Home Loans Cup clash against the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Stadium last Saturday night and was one of the few shining lights in a generally disappointing evening for the Swans.

He spent most of the match across half-forward, but also saw some time in defence, as the Sydney coaches continue his football grounding that saw him play a full season with Port Melbourne in 2001 and 14 games for the Swans in 2002.

?Hopefully, it will be a big year and I can maintain that form,? he said.

Stevens took a few teams by surprise last year and thrived in a forward line where much of the focus was on Barry Hall, Michael O?Loughlin and for part of the year anyway, Tony Lockett.

?It was good to have Tony playing there because I would get the fourth or fifth defender,? he said.

Stevens has bulked up in the off-season, adding another four kilograms to a frame he hopes will allow him to stand-up as a key forward all season. ?Hopefully I can be centre half-forward. That would be desirable for me, but I would need to put on a bit more weight to do that.?

The Swans play Carlton in a Wizard Regional Challenge Series match at Coffs Harbour on Saturday afternoon at 1.30pm. The teams meet again four weeks after that at Telstra Stadium in the first round of the 2003 season.

-------------------------------

Self belief is a good thing I guess ...

desredandwhite
25th February 2003, 01:24 PM
Well, if the whole team played like he did on sat night, we WOULD be in the finals ;)

We'll see if they can back up the talk on the field.

Mike_B
25th February 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
?We definitely expect to make the eight. We?ll go into every match expecting to win,? he said.

I'd be VERY worried if the players themselves were going into games with the expectation they will lose!!!! But still good to see that the players have set themselves a goal that isn't unrealistic (eg top 4 finish) in light of this year supposedly being a year for rebuilding.

Ajn
1st March 2003, 10:48 AM
the great thing about our up and coming players is that they have been through the initial couple of years. It is just a matter of stepping up to the plate. If they do step up, then we will out do expectations, since I truely believe we have some class players in the making. Most stars only emerge after 2-4 years of playing!