PDA

View Full Version : Mitch

barry
17th August 2012, 08:33 PM
Deserves his own thread.

How many goals? A lazy 5 would be a good debut I think.

ugg
17th August 2012, 08:43 PM
Given that he is a good chance to be the sub, five seems very optimistic

DamY
17th August 2012, 08:44 PM
no pressure! haha I dunno how he'll go, he may take some time to settle in

Dirtyburt
17th August 2012, 09:27 PM
I hope he does, very hard to come from neafl to the afl though. Good solid game with a good chase and tackle is all that is required

swans
17th August 2012, 09:31 PM
Deserves his own thread.

How many goals? A lazy 5 would be a good debut I think.

Do you mean lazy 5 per quarter.
Joke

Big Al
17th August 2012, 09:41 PM
Morton's issues have always been between the ears and at the start of the year he seemed to be plagued with self doubt and was in diabolical form. To his credit he's turned his attitude and his form around. He won't be a superstar but a firing Mitch Morton could very handy coming into finals.

As far his output is concerned he'll have a set of KPI's set for him by the coaches and I'm guessing none of them will involve amount of goals kicked. Will be closer to what Db said and will involve work rate related measures.

JudesaGun
17th August 2012, 10:05 PM
Say he comes out and kicks 3 or 4 in a quarter and a half or a big bag in a full game, what are his chances of keeping a spot when Jude comes back?

The only person I can see making way would be Pyke, but the coaching staff would need to take the punt on changing a winning 2 ruckman structure.

Thoughts?

Dirtyburt
17th August 2012, 10:08 PM
Say he comes out and kicks 3 or 4 in a quarter and a half or a big bag in a full game, what are his chances of keeping a spot when Jude comes back?

The only person I can see making way would be Pyke, but the coaching staff would need to take the punt on changing a winning 2 ruckman structure.

Thoughts?

Agree, barring injury, no chance. Jude will come back, when/if fit.

BillyRayCypress
17th August 2012, 10:17 PM
Agree, barring injury, no chance. Jude will come back, when/if fit.

The difference a comma makes. :D

17th August 2012, 10:19 PM
Yeh I'll take 5 goals coming on as the sub in last quarter. I'd really like to see him start but it won't happen.

As for longer term, if Morton can produce to the same standard and magic he did in 2009 at Wretchmond then he may well be part of our finals plans. An x-factor small forward is what we desperately need. Who makes way I'm not sure, maybe injuries will come into play?

swans
17th August 2012, 10:21 PM
There is a link on afl called mortan on the rise.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144900/default.aspx

Kirkari
17th August 2012, 11:03 PM

Thoughts?

Thoughts are you're getting a bit ahead of play. If he's doing all that, what's everyone else doing, for example. A good question, just ask again Sunday night.

Auntie.Gerald
17th August 2012, 11:15 PM
against the dogs he wont be stretched to play the pressure game

against the pies our forward pressure was very good.......not sure he would have stood up but he may have got us a goal or two ??? 8 pts in that game in the end !!!

:hmmm

barry
17th August 2012, 11:28 PM
Despite his selection, Morton is still at very juicy odds for the brownlow. Nows the time to get on, if you are keen.

Dirtyburt
17th August 2012, 11:33 PM
Despite his selection, Morton is still at very juicy odds for the brownlow. Nows the time to get on, if you are keen.
Lmfao

wolftone57
17th August 2012, 11:41 PM
Why are at how many Mitch will kick we should be asking will he actually get a game? If he does I think he will do well. Unlike the other players he actually knows what is required at this level. I wouldn't make him sub I would make either Macca or Birdie sub. At the moment it is doubtful who will play this week. There are a lot of players up for a birth and I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff decided to go for a bit of goal kicking strength rather than contested possession.

Dirtyburt
17th August 2012, 11:45 PM
Why are at how many Mitch will kick we should be asking will he actually get a game? If he does I think he will do well. Unlike the other players he actually knows what is required at this level. I wouldn't make him sub I would make either Macca or Birdie sub. At the moment it is doubtful who will play this week. There are a lot of players up for a birth and I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff decided to go for a bit of goal kicking strength rather than contested possession.

Mcveigh! You would make mcveigh sub? It never ends.

I am beginning to think you have something vertical stuck in your lateral

wolftone57
18th August 2012, 12:01 AM

Macca & Benny had pretty ordinary games last week Burt if you didn't notice. Benny is probably more likely to start as he can play the small forward role. We have plenty to fill any role Macca will play. He is a great player but sometimes when you have a bad game you need to be reminded. After all he is Co-Captain. Benny might be sub also and has been before as has Birdie, maybe Armstrong if he plays.

Jewels
18th August 2012, 12:27 AM

Hahaha, couldn't have said it better myself! :five:

jono2707
18th August 2012, 07:31 AM
Whilst I don't agree with the idea of McVeigh being sub, it wouldn't hurt to make a more established player the sub this week to allow them the chance of a freshen-up. It would also allow Morton to start the match, which most of us hope he does.

Thanks for the suggestion though Wolfie :)

wolftone57
18th August 2012, 11:50 AM
I am just suggesting to try something different. He would be a huge impact player as sub coming on in the third when Sam is tired.

Dirtyburt
18th August 2012, 12:27 PM
I am just suggesting to try something different. He would be a huge impact player as sub coming on in the third when Sam is tired.
We are top of the ladder and have lost one of the last ten games, four losses in total.

Why do we keep needing to change things?

sok
18th August 2012, 04:06 PM
We are top ten because of the changes we made. If we had played all rounds with the same team then we wouldn't be at the top.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

erica
18th August 2012, 04:10 PM
We are top ten because of the changes we made. If we had played all rounds with the same team then we wouldn't be at the top.

That's not something anyone can know, since we didn't play all rounds with the same team. It may be your opinion, but it's not a fact.

Primmy
18th August 2012, 04:21 PM
That's not something anyone can know, since we didn't play all rounds with the same team. It may be your opinion, but it's not a fact.hehehe.....

BillyRayCypress
18th August 2012, 05:05 PM
We are top of the ladder and have lost one of the last ten games, four losses in total.

Why do we keep needing to change things?

Because this is a fan forum website and people need something to pontificate about.

Ok, I'd move belly button fluff to Full Forward and Ear Wax out to the wing.

Dirtyburt
18th August 2012, 06:22 PM
Because this is a fan forum website and people need something to pontificate about.

Ok, I'd move belly button fluff to Full Forward and Ear Wax out to the wing.
Bull@@@@, belly button fluff is too soft, can't stick a tackle.

Untamed Snark
18th August 2012, 07:17 PM
Bull@@@@, belly button fluff is too soft, can't stick a tackle.

Earwax tends to melt under pressure

Doctor
18th August 2012, 08:17 PM
Earwax tends to melt under pressure

Unlike Boogie, which sometimes almost picks itself.

BillyRayCypress
18th August 2012, 08:24 PM

:clap:

BeeEmmAre
18th August 2012, 09:44 PM
I needed a laugh! Thanks for that

GongSwan
19th August 2012, 10:29 AM

Unless your Chris Scott, then you get caught on camera trying to dig him out

barry
19th August 2012, 07:20 PM
Best 15 minutes by a swans sub this season.

T.D.-who?

Must be a starter next week.

ugg
19th August 2012, 07:22 PM
He did well, 1 goal and 2 goal assists. Good chance to be the sub again next week but could also be unluckily omitted depending on Jude's and Pyke's fitness.

19th August 2012, 07:30 PM
No change for next week. Morton will be sub again, sounds a promising Swans debut. If only he'd played last week against Collingwood.

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 07:32 PM
He did well, 1 goal and 2 goal assists. Good chance to be the sub again next week but could also be unluckily omitted depending on Jude's and Pyke's fitness.
Yes, did a couple of nice unselfish things. Didn't really get time to show his defensive side. Would think he will get another chance if pyke and Jude are not fit

DLBIA14
19th August 2012, 07:38 PM
He deserves another go if the opportunity is available. I loved how the team embraced him after his first touch was an assist. Got more love there than when he kicked a goal. :) The smile on his face was nice to see. The most encouraging thing about his inclusion this week was that he spent the best part of a season earning it. Not gift games in this team.

barry
19th August 2012, 07:50 PM
Yes, did a couple of nice unselfish things. Didn't really get time to show his defensive side. Would think he will get another chance if pyke and Jude are not fit

Jude wont be back until well into the finals, if at all. We did miss him I thought. He could have shut down griffin.

Pyke played a ripper and was dragging down big marks, but we looked much more "complete" with LRT as 2nd ruck and Morton in the forward line for that last 15 minutes. That to me, looked like a premiership team.

I'd still have Pyke in, but would put Jetta as sub (controversal!)

Doctor
19th August 2012, 07:54 PM
Almost certain to be the same XXII unless there's an injury. Pyke seemed to walk off ok, if a little gingerly, at the end so I hope that's a good sign. Dunno about the same sub 2 weeks in a row mind you but it's hard to see any other alternative at this stage. Considering the way we overwhelmed Hawthorn in Tassie with wave after wave of midfielders running at them it might be that they look more in that direction.

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 08:15 PM
Jude wont be back until well into the finals, if at all. We did miss him I thought. He could have shut down griffin.

Pyke played a ripper and was dragging down big marks, but we looked much more "complete" with LRT as 2nd ruck and Morton in the forward line for that last 15 minutes. That to me, looked like a premiership team.

Hope your wrong, we need Jude. Rumour is he will train this week.

BillyRayCypress
19th August 2012, 08:21 PM
Hope your wrong, we need Jude. Rumour is he will train this week.

Out to Parramatta or Liverpool??? :D

ScottH
19th August 2012, 08:42 PM
We were disappointed he didn't get subbed on during the 3rd qtr break, but given the injury to Pyke, maybe it was the right move.
Anyway, hard to gauge from the small cameo. Did some good things, let his man sneak off on him once, but nothing to complain about.

Brettb
19th August 2012, 09:04 PM

John Blakey said on Triple M that he will train this week and is an outstide chance against Hawthorn, however thought the Geelong game was more likely

Swansinger
19th August 2012, 10:38 PM
Ex-Richmond , one game , one goal- who's that remind you of ? Mitch has got me all nostalgic for Nick Daffy :-).
But I liked his effort today and hope he doesn't open a restaurant just yet !

Matt79
19th August 2012, 10:42 PM
The moment I realised that Morton was a different player to the Richmond / WC version was when he took a mark 40m out. Old Mitch, would have had blinkers on and gone straight for goal (and entitled to in that circumstance). However, he passed it to Mummy 15m out with a pass.

The Swannies may be making an ?ffy trade into something very very good!

aardvark
19th August 2012, 10:51 PM
Hope he gets a full game next week. Then we will know for sure if we have the new improved MM.

barry
19th August 2012, 10:55 PM
He played for 15 minutes and got a goal (could have had 2). That equates to around a 5 goal haul over a full game.

My OP was visionary ;) . I'm excited!

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 10:55 PM

Lol, don't get too excited. He has the positive 'forward' attributes TDL has does look stronger, and able to create forward pressure, I agree. However, I would like to see a wee bit more than just under a qtr, when the game was won, before he gets 'very very good' billing!

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 10:56 PM
Hope he gets a full game next week. Then we will know for sure if we have the new improved MM.

Who goes out?

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 10:58 PM
Out to Parramatta or Liverpool??? :D
To bondi junction hopefully!

msb
The moment I realised that Morton was a different player to the Richmond / WC version was when he took a mark 40m out. Old Mitch, would have had blinkers on and gone straight for goal (and entitled to in that circumstance). However, he. passed it to Mummy 15m out with a pass.

Did he play for west coast? Dont recall that. For the 20 odd minutes that he played I think he showed that he can add something to the forward line, really needs a full game though to give us more of an idea. Hopefully he plays against the hawks, he deserves another game.

aardvark
Who goes out?

Probably Pyke if injured or i'd be happy for Bird to be sub. I just think that MM with the right mind set could have a huge up side for us and we need to find out where he's at.

Dirtyburt
19th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Probably Pyke if injured or i'd be happy for Bird to be sub. I just think that MM with the right mind set could have a huge up side for us and we need to find out where he's at.

Whooa, who hard tags the hawks if birdy sits on the pine?

DamY
19th August 2012, 11:06 PM
It almost seemed like MM made a point of not being selfish, he helped set up a couple of plays. Considering how short a spell he had, he was pretty darn good!

Primmy
19th August 2012, 11:11 PM
Ex-Richmond , one game , one goal- who's that remind you of ? Mitch has got me all nostalgic for Nick Daffy :-).
But I liked his effort today and hope he doesn't open a restaurant just yet !Another ex Richmond is Stuart Maxfield. That would do me.

Matt79
19th August 2012, 11:13 PM
Did he play for west coast? Dont recall that. For the 20 odd minutes that he played I think he showed that he can add something to the forward line, really needs a full game though to give us more of an idea. Hopefully he plays against the hawks, he deserves another game.

Mitch played 12 games for WC between 2005-2007.

Primmy
19th August 2012, 11:13 PM
The moment I realised that Morton was a different player to the Richmond / WC version was when he took a mark 40m out. Old Mitch, would have had blinkers on and gone straight for goal (and entitled to in that circumstance). However, he passed it to Mummy 15m out with a pass.

The Swannies may be making an ?ffy trade into something very very good!Made that observation myself. Even a massive difference from his first ressie game when I had serious reservations, to last week, and now. Earned his place on the team. Great stuff.

dimelb
20th August 2012, 12:12 AM
A good pipeopener, and (as people have pointed out) seems to have taken the team ethos on board.
Let's see some more of him, especially when Hawthorn won't see him coming.

BSA5
20th August 2012, 01:30 AM
Liked his run and chase (didn't lay any tackles but never really had the opportunity, but he harassed, attempted a couple of smothers, etc). Liked his goal assists, liked his goal, and probably could/should have got the hand-off from Hannebery for another. Hannebery went on to slot the goal so you can't complain, but MM could have had the little pop over the top and almost run into an open goal.

All in all, a very promising start to his Swans career, on limited time. If Jude doesn't come back, I'd like to see him play a full game, maybe give McGlynn the vest, or one from left-field, Jetta. Teams are clearly planning carefully to curb Jetta's influence, so maybe bringing him on as sub could do some good. The other option is Malceski.

GongSwan
20th August 2012, 05:08 AM
Liked his run and chase (didn't lay any tackles but never really had the opportunity, but he harassed, attempted a couple of smothers, etc). Liked his goal assists, liked his goal, and probably could/should have got the hand-off from Hannebery for another. Hannebery went on to slot the goal so you can't complain, but MM could have had the little pop over the top and almost run into an open goal.

All in all, a very promising start to his Swans career, on limited time. If Jude doesn't come back, I'd like to see him play a full game, maybe give McGlynn the vest, or one from left-field, Jetta. Teams are clearly planning carefully to curb Jetta's influence, so maybe bringing him on as sub could do some good. The other option is Malceski.

Jetta may not be getting the space or run that he was, but his delivery into the forwards is first class, I couldn't make him the sub unless he said he needed a break. At this time of teh year, less tinkering is better

aardvark
20th August 2012, 08:27 AM
Whooa, who hard tags the hawks if birdy sits on the pine?

McVeigh did it today although not very well, Griffen still got 50.

dimelb
20th August 2012, 09:05 AM
Jetta may not be getting the space or run that he was, but his delivery into the forwards is first class, I couldn't make him the sub unless he said he needed a break. At this time of teh year, less tinkering is better
Absolutely, Jetts' field kicking is A1, beautifully weighted kicks to advantage and shows outstanding vision.

liz
20th August 2012, 09:12 AM
The thing with Jetta is that even when he's having a quiet game, he can still break things open with just a handful of possessions.

ScottH
20th August 2012, 09:17 AM
Absolutely, Jetts' field kicking is A1, beautifully weighted kicks to advantage and shows outstanding vision.

2 kicks to the Fwd 50 were perfectly weighted passes, and 1 to Goodes from the D50 was a big heave ho, that again found it's target.
He's getting better and better.

And as Liz said, small number of possessions can still have a great impact.

Doctor
20th August 2012, 10:11 AM
Forgive me for not knowing, but how old is Morton? If we are able to reinvent him into the kind of player we value at this club, how many years is he likely to be able to contribute for?

ScottH
20th August 2012, 10:23 AM
Forgive me for not knowing, but how old is Morton? If we are able to reinvent him into the kind of player we value at this club, how many years is he likely to be able to contribute for?

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/)

barry
20th August 2012, 10:23 AM

25 I think. Good 5 years out of him I'd say if he turns out alright.
We've got him in his prime.

royboy42
20th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Caution folks..it was the trash time of the game..Doggies had their tails between their legs and we were doing as we liked.
He did what was expected, and did it well,but our opposition by then was traffic cones.

Plugger1300
20th August 2012, 11:58 AM
As I mentioned in a different thread Morton was great as a cameo - i was a little perturbed that when Hanners was running into goal, Morton chose to look for a handball over the top rather than shepherd. I think he will be reminded about this during the review. Apart from that he has terrific

BSA5
20th August 2012, 12:55 PM
As I mentioned in a different thread Morton was great as a cameo - i was a little perturbed that when Hanners was running into goal, Morton chose to look for a handball over the top rather than shepherd. I think he will be reminded about this during the review. Apart from that he has terrific

I thought Morton was actually in the right there. He wasn't in the right position to shepherd, he was behind the guy, but he was in perfect position for a lob over the top and a run into goal, which Hanners ignored (luckily for him he slotted it!). If Morton and Hanners had been in the opposite positions, we'd all be berating Morton for being so selfish.

Cpt. Kirk
20th August 2012, 01:25 PM
I thought Morton was actually in the right there. He wasn't in the right position to shepherd, he was behind the guy, but he was in perfect position for a lob over the top and a run into goal, which Hanners ignored (luckily for him he slotted it!). If Morton and Hanners had been in the opposite positions, we'd all be berating Morton for being so selfish.

I agree i think that last quarter of his was good and seeing that he deserves another chance to play a full game vs the hawks.

Big Al
20th August 2012, 01:32 PM
Problem with Morton playing a full game is I can't figure out who should be the sub. All players that started yesterday will have important roles to play against the Hawks.

Morton to be the Sub again for mine.

Nico
20th August 2012, 01:44 PM
My nephews girlfriend is a Richmond supporter. She said if he was at Richmond he would have gone back to take the shot, but he spotted Mummy and passed perfectly. You could see he was intent on doing the team thing. The coaches haven't been easy on him and it has taken him a long time to get a gig. I am happy to continue with him. It appears it is either him of Spangher going forward. We were a bit surprised that he didn't start on the ground.

swans
20th August 2012, 05:37 PM
Morton to be the Sub again for mine.

You are right morton sub again it takes alot of pressure of him as sub he is still learning the swans forward setup and we can bring him on as required.