PDA

View Full Version : I lost my cornflakes this morning.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 03:25 PM
Woke up at 6.00am to watch the 9 news and there large as life was King Paul playing basketball - Forgive me but is this guy coaching football or clutching at straws or is he just a publicity seeker.

Get it Right Paul. Next we will see you at the Badmington championships.:rolleyes:

Charlie
26th February 2003, 03:56 PM
Honestly. What is wrong with a bit of cross-promotion?

Paul Roos is the front man for the Swans, who just happened to play representative basketball as a teenager.

Brian Goorjian is the front man for the Sydney Kings. The two coaches are both members of a working group of Sydney based sports coaches, which also includes the Roosters' Ricky Stewart and the coach of the NSW Waratahs if I remember correctly. They are all hoping that their collective insights into coaching can add a little to each man's expertise, and bring more success for the four teams.

Back to my original point however, what exactly is wrong with a little promotional activity? It worked, didn't it? It got on the news, didn't it? It got the Swans and Kings brand names on people's TV sets, didn't it?

Quit complaining. I am 100% sick of seeing this vendetta of yours on this site. Seriously, that has to be what it is.... there is no logical reason why you'd see a genuine problem in Paul Roos playing basketball with Brian Goorjian.

Would you have complained had it been Chris Conolly, coach of the holy Dockers, playing soccer with the coach of the Perth Glory? Honest answer please.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:04 PM
C

I dont think Connolly needs to go on a basketball court and Worsfold would be even less likely to.

But an honest answer - it is on a par with Politicians kissing babies - it makes me cringe. I would think less of Connolly if he did.

Nevertheless, if Paul thinks he achieved anything - good for him.

TheMase
26th February 2003, 04:09 PM
LS, I have not commented on you before.
But basically every comment you have posted on this board has been negative towards the Swans.

There is no way that you could be a Swans supporter. If you were a Collingwood Supporter, I don't think I would even wish this sort of behaviour on them.

If anyone came to this site, they would see you as a troll that is 'pretending' to go for the Swans so that you can have a go at them.

Seems like a pretty fair assumption to me.

NMWBloods
26th February 2003, 04:11 PM
Obviously you don't understand marketing in the Sydney environment.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
LS, I have not commented on you before.
But basically every comment you have posted on this board has been negative towards the Swans.

There is no way that you could be a Swans supporter. If you were a Collingwood Supporter, I don't think I would even wish this sort of behaviour on them.

If anyone came to this site, they would see you as a troll that is 'pretending' to go for the Swans so that you can have a go at them.

Seems like a pretty fair assumption to me.

You've heard the old saying never assume anything because it tends to make an.....of you and not me"

Basically I couldnt give a fig what you think.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

No just London mate!!!!

TheMase
26th February 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by LondonSwan

Basically I couldnt give a fig what you think.

Same with you.

I am glad we agree on something.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:17 PM
Same with you.

I am glad we agree on something.

Second is never good enough!!

NMWBloods
26th February 2003, 04:18 PM
No just London mate!!!!

Well in that case, wouldn't it have been better to query the need for Roos to do this marketing, and then have it explained to you, rather than simply bag it with no prior knowledge of Sydney, as you have just admitted?

floppinab
26th February 2003, 04:20 PM

No just London mate!!!!

And I would suggest that they are chalk and cheese when it comes to marketing sports teams.
Different culture.......... mate!

TheMase
26th February 2003, 04:22 PM
Second is never good enough!!

Say something positive about the Swans. Go on.
Surely you can think of something for your 'favourite' footy team?

You should be a Richmond Supporter. Your kind are in full force there.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:23 PM
Well in that case, wouldn't it have been better to query the need for Roos to do this marketing, and then have it explained to you, rather than simply bag it with no prior knowledge of Sydney, as you have just admitted?

As stated its on par with MP's kissing babies - what good did it do us.

It went right over your head didnt it. But as this post has now deteriorated into a slanging match, you can have it to yourselves.

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 04:26 PM
Say something positive about the Swans. Go on.
Surely you can think of something for your 'favourite' footy team?

You should be a Richmond Supporter. Your kind are in full force there.

They're a great bunch with a lot of potential but in my opinion they could have had a better coach and could have been better led.:o

TheMase
26th February 2003, 04:27 PM
They're a great bunch with a lot of potential but in my opinion they could have had a better coach and could have been better led.:o

You mean Paul Roos? The guy you haven't even given a chance at coaching yet? (and don't say the Wizard Cup, any knowledgable football fan knows to take no notice whatsoever of that. Essendon haven't finished no lower than 5th in recent years, yet they have lost their last 7 Wizard Cup matches).

desredandwhite
26th February 2003, 04:32 PM
oookaaaaay. This is getting stupid now.

In consultation with myself, I've reached the following executive decision.

Andy, you will refrain from making ANY comments about Paul Roos or Stuart Maxfield if you have nothing good to say about them at that point. Sarcastic references, subtle digs etc are not to be made. You've made your point, and you will be allowed to revisit them when and if more evidence surfaces that they are not doing their jobs at the end of the year. You can't say I haven't been more than fair with you. If you're not able to communicate without antagonising others, then perhaps you shouldn't. You're on the edge now. Plenty of warnings and requests to respect the general opinions of the board. ONE more sly dig at either Maxfield or Roos and you can sit out for 2 weeks.

Everyone else, if you don't like what LS is saying, don't give him the satisfaction of seeing you flame back. The ignore list is a perfectly good alternative to seeing his posts. If you ignore his opinions, then it makes our jobs a lot easier. Diego, Robbie, you're both on notice for comments in the other thread. Don't argue with him, you know his opinions can't be changed. All of you, the same applies to you, abuse LS and you can cop the ban with him.

floppinab
26th February 2003, 04:39 PM

Well simply put it's all a part of getting the Swans into the media as much as possible, primarily to drive membership and attendances up. The Swans have always had one or two key media figureheads to fulfil this role in Sydney and since Roos was appointed it was always clear he was going to be a focus for Swans and the media.

And IMO (others please comment) I think it has worked, I've been pleasantly surprised with our coverage so far, on odd occasions pushing the other leagues off the first or second pages in the back on the Tele, etc. etc.

So,

is he just a publicity seeker.

Yes he is, it's clearly part of his role with the club and my guess probably written into his contract in some way.

floppinab
26th February 2003, 04:46 PM
And I'm on a roll so I'll keep going :D

A lot of lapsed members and bandwagoners well remember Roos from '96 onward so it comes across as a pretty smart move to get him out in the media as much as possible.
And even better the coverage is starting to get up the noses of some other clubs and supporters. This has gotta be a good outcome ;)

The proof will be in the membership figures for this year.

And yes I know the bottom line will be results on the field but as many have already said he's gotta a three year contract. You've gotta give him at least the first two before pulling out the barbs.

Bron
26th February 2003, 05:23 PM
The Club has a stated marketing objective of making Sydney synonymous with Swans. We need a "name" that will draw the journos. It used to be Plugger and (to a lesser extent) Kel. This is why I would think that the Martin Place "strip" occurred (damn! I had a meeting) and this thing with Roos. We need the publicity and we need people to be in front of people so that they think about going to games.

NMWBloods
26th February 2003, 05:48 PM

It went right over your head didnt it. But as this post has now deteriorated into a slanging match, you can have it to yourselves.

Hey pot - what was that about debating the topic rather than personal slanging matches.

Most coaches and players are out doing community-type things. It generates support. Doesn't excite me, but it deemed to be something that needs to be done by all sports teams and seems to work okay.

For that matter, wandering around talking to the public is something that MPs need to do, so what's your point.

What's the downside? What harm did it do us?

CureTheSane
26th February 2003, 06:01 PM
ditto what Des said.

Why does every single argument on this board at the moment centre around LS?

When Des says that you are on the edge LS, you better believe it
I have made my point of view with regards to your inflamatory posts quite clear to him.

As far as the Roos playing basketball goes.
My initial reaction was to tentatively agree with LS.
Surely at this time of the year he has more important things to do with the club.
But after more thought, I decided that he probably deserves a 'private life' and should not be expected to spend every waking moment in his role as coach.
I'm sure he is exceding a 38 hour week at the moment....

Cheer Cheer
26th February 2003, 08:53 PM
Time for action

LondonSwan
26th February 2003, 08:55 PM
Censored.

chammond
26th February 2003, 10:14 PM
Censored.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I'm not sure that taking action against LS is the right thing to do here.

There's no doubt that he is an irritating @@@@@, and he works very hard at winding up some of the people on this board. But it's also true that a number of those individuals make it very easy for him to achieve his goal.

However, it also has to be said that the rubbish he spouts about Roos and Maxfield is no different to the crap that we get from the anti-Bolton League, or the anti-Warfe Brigade, or the anti-Nicks Gang blah, blah, blah . . . .

It seems hard to justify censoring LS just because he annoys us by saying things we disagree with. It would be a sad day if we banned Swans' fans simply because they're not "our" kind of Swans' fan.

As long as he doesn't defame anyone, surely the best treatment is just to ignore his stupid remarks.

desredandwhite
26th February 2003, 10:16 PM
THANK YOU, Cliff.

Honestly, I was beginning to think no one was listening to me. If you don't get wound up, then there's no problems.

vagary
26th February 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Bron
The Club has a stated marketing objective of making Sydney synonymous with Swans. We need a "name" that will draw the journos. It used to be Plugger and (to a lesser extent) Kel. This is why I would think that the Martin Place "strip" occurred (damn! I had a meeting) and this thing with Roos. We need the publicity and we need people to be in front of people so that they think about going to games.

other clubs do the same thing as well. i remember my sister getting a broshure for the kangaroos during that time when they were playing games in sydney and it had a huge picture of Wayne Carey's face on it. (who would be the Face of the kangaroos now i wonder)

i'm actually disappointed. i opened this thread thinking(and hoping) it would a cute little joke about breakfast cereals and i find it's about the coach playing basketball. Des i would like to report this thread for misleading title.

PS bron i didn't get to see the marton place "strip" either but my reason was because i forgot it was on.

CureTheSane
26th February 2003, 11:48 PM
It's a bit different, Cliff when you are continually bating people with loaded comments, knowing the reaction you will get, then constantly reporting those responces to the moderators.

Truth be known, when Charlie, Robbie and London Swan were all at it, I wanted to ban them all for a week.
I guess they are fortunate that Des is more patient than I.
Evil PM's, reported posts, emails etc etc, what a mess, and still no-one was listening to the 'stop it' threads.....

swansrock4eva
27th February 2003, 12:05 AM
Gotta agree with you martin. one of the things des said way back was about it stopping being fun, and the past couple of weeks for me especially, have not been making with the fun. I'm on holidays from uni atm and have enjoyed being able to come on here anytime of the day and see what everyone has to say. But after the past couple of weeks with abusive, flaming threads, abusive PM's when people are warned to back off, and just the general lack of respect for the boards and the people who run them and the others who abide by the rules... I expected better of a lot of people. And sadly, I didn't expect much else from others, and i have come to expect even less lately. Give it a rest guys. let's talk objectively about our footy, and leave the baiting, flaming, and general bad attitude for the playground and off the messageboards.

chammond
27th February 2003, 11:18 AM
Gotta agree with you martin. one of the things des said way back was about it stopping being fun, and the past couple of weeks for me especially, have not been making with the fun.

Nothing I said yesterday was meant to be a criticism of the people who administer this board. On the contrary.

I think part of the problem may be that the users on this board aren't aware of the rubbish that Des, Martin, Gemma, and the others have to put with behind the scenes. They certainly have more patience than I do.

The point I was struggling to make is that reacting to this idiot may be counter-productive. Not only does it send the wrong signals to those who can't resist being baited by him, but it could well be exactly the result he's hoping to achieve.

CureTheSane
27th February 2003, 11:33 AM
Never took it that way, Cliff :)

Completely agree with your last point :)

Rizzo
27th February 2003, 11:34 AM
To take the focus of flames, personality clashes etc, one thing I really like about Roos is that he is willing to learn from all sporting codes, games and nations.

As he said in the interview, the Kings have rebuilt the team and have a genuine shot at the title this year (while the Swans are a couple of years off). Crowds and sponsorship are coming back - it's a success story worth investigating.

Some of the skills are similiar - high jumping, marking and body work. Worth looking at the drills they run even if it's only to grab a few ideas to break up the normal training routine.

And if the PR people want you to take the court so the camera can take some vision to go with the story in order to promote two sports on the under card in a rugby state, you'd do it.

SWANSBEST
27th February 2003, 03:49 PM
Well said Rizzo!

redunderthebed
27th February 2003, 05:38 PM
Roos is the captain/coach of a first division adult team that plays at Alexandria stadium every monday night and has been there for years. The stadium is the home of the Kings so there is likely to be some inter mingling. Roos is a very good player in a tough competition and the skills of basketball can be very usefull for our footy...in fact Victoria and South Australia generally dominate junior basketball.
Anyway, just thought it interesting.

robbieando
1st March 2003, 03:44 PM
Tony Shaw in his coaching and playing days at Collingwood played basketball, Paul Williams was in a Collingwood before he left for the Swans, Fitzroy use to have a team run around in a local comp in the late 80"s, AFL has a history of players playing different sports during the season - heck Craig Bradley even backed up to play district cricket in Melbourne up until 5 years ago.

My point is it has been shown it does no harm so I have no problems with it. I suspose you had a problem with Eade during an interview from the golf course during his weekly round in 1996?? Of course not. One thing you can't beat is results and so far in 12 games Roos is 7-5.