PDA

View Full Version : Major breakthrough in Rugby heartland

SWANSBEST
16th December 2003, 06:06 AM
AFL takes territory in Sydney heartland
By Jessica Halloran
December 16, 2003

One of Sydney's largest and most traditional rugby union schools will field an Australian Rules football team in the Sydney Football League next season. St Ignatius College Riverview will enter an Australian Rules team in the under-18s division of the Sydney Football League.

It is the first time a Greater Public School (GPS) has fielded a team in the competition, and Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos said the involvement of schools such as Riverview would encourage the development of Aussie rules in Sydney.

"I think it's terrific," Roos said. "The hardest thing for us is when most kids finish up Auskick and want to continue playing AFL, it can be difficult.

"There's a lot of kids who want to play AFL and who don't get the chance. The more private schools get involved, the better. It's great for students, it's about kids making the decision themselves about what sport they want to play."

Aussie Rules is a foundation sport of the school - Sydney Swans defender Leo Barry attended Riverview as a border - but it is the first time the sport will be offered at the same senior level as rugby. Students will be eligible for colours if they play 70 per cent of the season.

Brett Bastin, master in charge of Australian football at Riverview, said he expected it would make it easier for students to step up to senior football. Bastin also believes the move may attract more students to the school.

"It's a big step but we are hoping it opens the school up to other areas of NSW," Bastin said. "They can stay at the school to play AFL and not have to play in another competition. All the boys at the school play on the the one team and won't be playing against their school friends."

Riverview football club operations manager Alan Sierakowski expects interest in the sport to be high. "We are expecting the other private schools to follow," he said. "A lot of kids in NSW want to play different sports and kids from the Riverina want to come to a school, but they don't offer the facilities or the team to play AFL. Now Riverview will offer that opportunity."

The SFL under-18 division fielded 12 teams last year, and acting AFL NSW/ACT chief executive Allan McKinnon said the body will welcome Riverview's involvement in 2003. "We've had some meetings with them and we do welcome their involvement in the game," McKinnon said.

A four-week round robin competition to be held between Greater Public Schools and Combined Independent Schools is also planned for next August.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/15/1071336893791.html

floppinab
16th December 2003, 09:23 AM
It's significant no doubt about it but there's a long way to go.

The dearth of junior players and teams in the 12 - 16 age category is a pretty good indication how kids are lost to the game when they move from less restrictive primary schools to private high schools where though shalt play rugby or nought.

I'd like to see a few more of the inner city private schools do the same.

JF_Bay22_SCG
16th December 2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
It's significant no doubt about it but there's a long way to go.

The dearth of junior players and teams in the 12 - 16 age category is a pretty good indication how kids are lost to the game when they move from less restrictive primary schools to private high schools where though shalt play rugby or nought.

I'd like to see a few more of the inner city private schools do the same.

I dared mention getting AFL started when I was at Knox. I was shunned into silence by everyone (my rah rah parents very much included) except an expat Essendon supporting member of the English department.

I have a good mate who has sat with the Cheer Squad in the past. He is presently a boarder at St Josephs and has copped all sorts of obstacles developing his junior footy career, even copping detentions because he was late flying back from the Port Adelaide final etc etc. (Had it been the Wallabies he was supporting, things would have of course been 1000% different!:rolleyes: )

I wouldn't be surprised if his parents change his school because of such a decision.

JF