PDA

View Full Version : Big J. White!

jetts32
1st November 2012, 09:04 PM
Now that it looks like GWS have got Tippet in a bag (not happy) do you think this will wake up the sleeping giant? I was watching our game against North Melbourne and White did very well, you would've thought he was the first ruckman, not only that, but the guy can kick pretty damn good and burst through packs, I hope he wakes up and realizes the potential he has and comes out and destroys it.

Reggi
1st November 2012, 09:32 PM
I still think he has talent. Needs to lighton up and get a lot fitter. Has never been anywhere near fit nough

Melbourne_Blood
1st November 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure fitness is his main issue, he's got no mongrel, no appetite to crash and bash and attack the footy like a raging bull.

BillyRayCypress
1st November 2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure fitness is his main issue, he's got no mongrel, no appetite to crash and bash and attack the footy like a raging bull.

Leave Petunia alone ! :D

Auntie.Gerald
1st November 2012, 09:46 PM
we will see............but always hopeful

who knows Pyke might get 35 goals in 2013 and become the Tip at 20% of the cost !!!

stranger things have happened !

Ludwig
1st November 2012, 10:02 PM
That's it. He's got all the tools, but just doesn't seem to know how to work it to his advantage. And you have to wonder if he ever will. That aside, his ruckwork has truly gone up a level in the reserves this year. Will be interesting to see how he does in the NAB cup games.

jetts32
1st November 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm obviously a massive bloods fan and my best mate is a massive hawks fan (it's a fun friendship) even he sees the massive potential in White and can't believe we havnt cracked down on him, our coaching staff and leadership group should really try motivate him as much as they can, both of us also belive the TDL trade was a massive surprise and don't really agree with it, I liked TDL a lot.

Ludwig
1st November 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm obviously a massive bloods fan and my best mate is a massive hawks fan (it's a fun friendship) even he sees the massive potential in White and can't believe we havnt cracked down on him, our coaching staff and leadership group should really try motivate him as much as they can, both of us also belive the TDL trade was a massive surprise and don't really agree with it, I liked TDL a lot.

We should get his face tattooed, and make him perform the Haka every day to force the agro inside of him to the surface.

Bloody Hell
2nd November 2012, 08:05 AM
Fingers crossed.

But.... we need a FF. Is it White?

jetts32
2nd November 2012, 10:36 AM
I think if he shows he can compete as a dominate forward in the reserves he could possibly do it for us, and he's always good incase we are in need of a back up ruckman, I'm starting to like his versatility, hopefully he can show he can compete.

CJK
2nd November 2012, 10:54 AM
I've given up - more than happy to be proven wrong

please prove me wrong

Doctor
2nd November 2012, 11:02 AM
Now that it looks like GWS have got Tippet in a bag (not happy) do you think this will wake up the sleeping giant?

No I don't.

magic.merkin
2nd November 2012, 11:19 AM

please prove me wrong

yep. would have been gone if another club wanted him.

He took my best supporting years and i'm left with nothing :frown

Chilcott
2nd November 2012, 12:19 PM
I've also given up. Has been a big dissapointment when given a senior game.

ShockOfHair
2nd November 2012, 01:35 PM
I see there's a thread on BF about Groundhog Day events in preseason. For Swans fans it's when we start wondering about White's prospects next year.

Jewels
2nd November 2012, 02:50 PM

please prove me wrong

yep. would have been gone if another club wanted him.

He took my best supporting years and i'm left with nothing :frown

I've also given up. Has been a big dissapointment when given a senior game.

Yep, I share these sentiments.

I like to dream that the shamozzle that was the Tippett trade may awaken the sleeping giant in him and he will do a Mitch Morton and realize that his career could be over this time next year if he doesn't pull his finger out.

But I know I'm only dreaming and I don't realistically think it will happen.

Roscoe
2nd November 2012, 02:57 PM

I like to dream that the shamozzle that was the Tippett trade may awaken the sleeping giant in him and he will do a Mitch Morton and realize that his career could be over this time next year if he doesn't pull his finger out.

But I know I'm only dreaming and I don't realistically think it will happen.

I have put on a few kilo's this year after consuming a lot of "humble pie " in regards to Teddy

don't mind if my weight goes up again if Jessie pulls his finger out

Primmy
2nd November 2012, 03:31 PM

But I know I'm only dreaming and I don't realistically think it will happen.I spoke to Jesse a year ago and he knew then he only had a year to prove himself. If that won't do it what will. but I am with all you lot. I want the man to be the player he has hidden inside himself. I just want it.

Nico
2nd November 2012, 05:30 PM
Between the ears. Doesn't have a footy brain.

Red
2nd November 2012, 06:33 PM
Just cannot seem to take a contested mark, at least in the Seniors.

Maybe tether him to Pyke in the pre-season -- ala Jetta to Jack last year -- to get his hands working properly?

MightyBloods
3rd November 2012, 04:47 PM
We also had a guy called Craig Nettlebeck many years ago......perfect footy build....huge potential....and huge disappointment. Jessie wont be the last AFL player to look like Tarzan and, sad to say, play like Jane.

Nico
3rd November 2012, 04:59 PM
We also had a guy called Craig Nettlebeck many years ago......perfect footy build....huge potential....and huge disappointment. Jessie wont be the last AFL player to look like Tarzan and, sad to say, play like Jane.

I bet a bloke a slab Nettlebeck wouldn't play 100 games after he went to Melbourne. Started to get the games at the Dees but fell away. Played about 64 AFL games but I never saw the slab. Still see his cousin at the footy but alas ........

I reckon Nettles is the bloke that Plugger is almost strangling over the fence at Moorabbin that comes on in a clip occasionally. Was there that day and we thought he was going to die.

ugg
7th November 2012, 05:48 PM
Interesting read on the Lions website by their National Talent Manager Rob Kerr into their dealings during trade week. He reveals that the Lions seriously considered White and would have traded for him had their Stefan Martin deal not gone through, almost purely on the basis of his athleticism and the advantages he will have given the introduction of the new ruck rules. The whole article is worth checking out anyway for the insights he provides in the wheelings and dealings involved during the trade period.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/150809/default.aspx

Xie Shan
7th November 2012, 10:01 PM
Very interesting and extremely detailed read! Seems that they are out of the race for Tippett now so it will either be us or GWS that get him.

Rob Kerr had only good things to say about Jesse as an individual, I'm glad we're keeping him even if he does end up playing most of next year in the NEAFL, he sounds like the kind of bloke you want to have around the club. And we do still need a back-up ruck with Seaby gone.

Primmy
8th November 2012, 08:05 AM
Its is an interesting read isn't it. Especially their take on Jesse. Looks like we have the answer to why most of us just want him to do well. They found him an "engaging and delightful individual" And that's the crux of the matter. You just can't dislike the bloke no matter what he does to us!!

SCGonasunnyday
8th November 2012, 10:57 AM
And we do still need a back-up ruck with Seaby gone.

Very true - can we go into a season with Mumford, Pyke and LRT only? If you add that guy from Adelaide that is okay but if you don't, I think you do need J White and he probably would play at least 4 or 5 games.

wolftone57
8th November 2012, 04:08 PM
I just want say that sometimes big blokes take a little longer to develop. It comes from losing confidence in their abilities after getting thrashed time and again when younger. He has had to play on some of the best defenders in the comp and it has probably sapped his confidence a bit. He has also had to play on some pretty good ruckmen too. To start with for all his talent in certain areas, like marking and kicking, he is not a natural in other areas, like knowing where to be and to always watch the ball. So many times I have seen him with his back to the contest when running into the forward line. His second efforts were also a problem.

In the second half of the season in the Two's he fixed most of those problems. Second efforts were really good, he made an effort to be more aware of the play and where the ball was. He led to better positions on the field, more attacking posies. He broke packs, took the game on and won. He proved himself a pretty good mobile ruckman/forward. But can he do that at AFL level? Only time will tell. I think he has a chance but he still needs to work hard all the time on the non natural parts of his game.

Melbourne_Blood
8th November 2012, 05:43 PM
We don't need a ruckman/ forward, that's the problem. We need a forward. ( well, arguably we need a forward, we certainly don't need another ruckman apart from as a injury backup to the Moose and the mummy )

Nico
8th November 2012, 06:49 PM
We don't need a ruckman/ forward, that's the problem. We need a forward. ( well, arguably we need a forward, we certainly don't need another ruckman apart from as a injury backup to the Moose and the mummy )

Let it be known there has only ever been one Moose at the Swans...Moose Henwood.

Another name must be found for Mike.

Triple B
8th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Let it be known there has only ever been one Moose at the Swans...Moose Henwood.

Him and his cronies found Goodes guilty and Lindsay Thomas not guilty ... he's dead to me.

Long live Myke Moose...

Melbourne_Blood
8th November 2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah I like Moose. Calling Spangher Spanky was far worse, I still cringe thinking about that godawful nickname.

aardvark
8th November 2012, 07:21 PM
Between the ears. Doesn't have a footy brain.

Jesse's theme song.......

If I Only Had a Brain - Video and Lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg66kwRnOpw)

Roscoe
8th November 2012, 07:31 PM

What about "dudley" as in Dudley Doright of the Mounties

But my favourite Canuk has to be Plasticine Pamela from Baywatch - she still does it for me !

Primmy
8th November 2012, 07:58 PM
Pull you head in aaaaarrrr!!!! OK I giggled a bit, but ..... oh I felt so mean doing it and its all your fault.

BeeEmmAre
8th November 2012, 09:51 PM
Pyke's simply the Mountie for me.

Fingers crossed JDub can turn this into a positive and turn his career around. I'd be delighted to see it.

aardvark
8th November 2012, 10:13 PM
Pull you head in aaaaarrrr!!!! OK I giggled a bit, but ..... oh I felt so mean doing it and its all your fault.

You have my sincerest apologies milady. Consider my head pulled in.

8th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Let it be known there has only ever been one Moose at the Swans...Moose Henwood

Ah yes, Moose Henwood, number 9 from memory? Would charge around like a loose cannon which is how Hafey wanted him to play I reckon - bloody long time ago!

And on Mr.White, the hour is very very late but there's too much talent inside him to not hold out a glimmer of hope in this, his probable last season. We all still hope for miracles I'm sure, maybe the work he did in the ressies and the angst of the past month will make the penny drop.

sprite
9th November 2012, 08:39 AM

+1

Ruck'n'Roll
9th November 2012, 09:40 AM
What about "dudley" as in Dudley Doright of the Mounties
But my favourite Canuk has to be Plasticine Pamela from Baywatch - she still does it for me !
Sorry taken, "Dudley" was an early nickname for Greg Stafford.
&PS
There was nothing wrong with the Spangher/Spanky nickname.

ned
10th November 2012, 11:03 AM
very year I expect it to be the season when White finally turns it around and starts dominating, and every year he lets me down. That said I actually thought the games he played this year he looked the best he has in years. If there's one thing I've learnt by now it's that he always diappoint me :( but I STILL expect him to turn it around next year, and all the evidence to the contrary be damned!!!!

dimelb
10th November 2012, 09:19 PM
very year I expect it to be the season when White finally turns it around and starts dominating, and every year he lets me down. That said I actually thought the games he played this year he looked the best he has in years. If there's one thing I've learnt by now it's that he always diappoint me :( but I STILL expect him to turn it around next year, and all the evidence to the contrary be damned!!!!

Hi Charlie Brown - Lucy's holding the ball ready for you to kick it!