PDA

View Full Version : Kicking behinds

Kallias
18th December 2003, 01:14 PM
I'm relatively new to our great game (been a Swans member for 6 years) and I work with a guy who is a one-eyed rugby league maniac. He doesn't completely hate AFL, but he bags me out about it a fair bit.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me out with one thing. One of his main beefs about our game is the behind posts. He can't understand why we get a point if we miss. I've tried a few arguments like: if we only had one set of posts there wouldn't be as many scoring opportunities, or the goalkicker has more to aim at - but I'm not really getting anywhere as I don't really know myself. Can anyone give me the definitive answer(s) so I can shut him up for a while?

Sanecow
18th December 2003, 01:30 PM
Um, because it's a game. In cricket, why is it 6 runs for hitting the ball over the fence and 4 for hitting it on the bounce? Because that's the way it is. We get 6 for between the big sticks and 1 for between the little ones. It's not "missing" any more than hitting a four in cricket.

BAM_BAM
18th December 2003, 02:34 PM
ask him why a conversion in league is worth two but a field goal is worth one? Both have to go between the posts and above the cross bar??? At least we have a different number of points for the different posts.;)

Tooth Fairy
19th December 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Kallias
I'm relatively new to our great game (been a Swans member for 6 years) and I work with a guy who is a one-eyed rugby league maniac. He doesn't completely hate AFL, but he bags me out about it a fair bit.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me out with one thing. One of his main beefs about our game is the behind posts. He can't understand why we get a point if we miss. I've tried a few arguments like: if we only had one set of posts there wouldn't be as many scoring opportunities, or the goalkicker has more to aim at - but I'm not really getting anywhere as I don't really know myself. Can anyone give me the definitive answer(s) so I can shut him up for a while?
Yeah I don't know. I've always wondered why we play AFL on an oval and not on a rectangle. Beats me. /shrug

Bear
19th December 2003, 02:20 PM
like the guys above mentioned, a behind is not a "miss", it is a score. out of bounds is a miss and therefore in fact you do NOT get a score for a miss

you have different scoring 'zones' in Australian football

like you get rewarded for greater skill in other sports, you do so in Australian football... e.g. for greater accuracy in darts, for longer range in basketball...

not too difficult to comprehend is it? :confused:

j s
19th December 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
Yeah I don't know. I've always wondered why we play AFL on an oval and not on a rectangle. Beats me. /shrug
That one is easy to answer.

Kallias
19th December 2003, 04:19 PM
So why do TV commentators say "he kicks... and misses to the right for one point" as opposed to saying "missed the lot" when they go out on the full?

And I've also used the basketball example, but it doesn't cut it with him. He thinks there should be one set of goalposts and you only score if you kick between them.

Bleed Red Blood
19th December 2003, 04:35 PM
Just tell him to get on with his life if he doesnt like the AFL scoring system then too bad for him he can go and support a rugby team.

NMWBloods
19th December 2003, 04:41 PM
So why do TV commentators say "he kicks... and misses to the right for one point" as opposed to saying "missed the lot" when they go out on the full?

Because the aim is to kick a goal, so the 'miss' refers to missing the goal. 'Missed the lot' means you scored nothing. A point is better than nothing.

And I've also used the basketball example, but it doesn't cut it with him. He thinks there should be one set of goalposts and you only score if you kick between them.

And if you run the ball pass them you could get a score too...?

The same argument could be made that rugby should eliminate its multiple methods of scoring.

Without behinds there would be an awful lot of draws in the game.

Kallias
19th December 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Bear
like the guys above mentioned, a behind is not a "miss", it is a score. out of bounds is a miss and therefore in fact you do NOT get a score for a miss

Sorry NMW I was replying to this post about missing for a point rather than missing the lot.

Sanecow
19th December 2003, 05:33 PM
Why can't a conversion go under the bar?

dimelb
19th December 2003, 09:38 PM
a one-eyed rugby league maniac.

Enough said - don't waste your breath. :rolleyes:

Mike_B
19th December 2003, 09:45 PM
Why is a conversion in Rugby worth 2 points and a penalty goal worth 3 (apart from allowing Jonny Wilkinson to score 25+ points/game)? The exact same thing happens, but the value is different...

We could go on forever...

BAM_BAM
20th December 2003, 12:14 AM
exactly my point Mike_B. The games are chalk and cheese. Most League and Rugby (union) fans who haven't watched our (superior) game live don't appreciate it. I must admit, watching league/union, is easier to follow on TV as it shows practically all of the plays/ers in the single frame shot. Aussie Rules however has so much going on off the ball that TV doesn't do it justice.

I have a friend who preaches the same thing as Kals , he's never been to see our game live - probably wont either (unless I give him a free ticket) - but hates it. Although will admit to hoping Sydney do well as we're the only team here in Sydney.

I live in hope that people like him will change their minds. I have many other friends who are willing to come out and see us play, I just hope one day they will become members after they've seen a few more games.

Tooth Fairy
20th December 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by j s
That one is easy to answer.
And why in golf, do we have to hit the ball with a big stick rather than just kicking it along the fairway?

...see my facetiousness now?

Bear
20th December 2003, 04:33 PM

because they are saying he missed THE GOAL, but did not miss the scoring area altogether so still scored a point. Naturally the main objective is to score a goal as this is worth 6x a behind so behinds are a little anti-climactical, unless it is Tony Lockett kicking for goal after the siren and ANY SCORE WILL DO... that was not a "miss"!!

again the best analogy is darts, where you can miss the bullseye but still score, whereas a miss (of everything) leaves you scoreless.

Sanecow
21st December 2003, 02:34 PM
Why doesn't Rugby use a cricket ball?

Kallias
22nd December 2003, 10:41 AM
My best comeback so far has been "why don't rugby league players have necks?" which cuts short the stupid line of questioning for a while... but he's just got his Roosters season tickets in the mail today so I'm expecting another bombardment.

anne
31st December 2003, 09:44 AM
AFL is played on an oval ground as the game was invented to keep the cricketers fit in winter and consequently was played on their grounds. I love the oval ground and it is much better for spectators.

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st December 2003, 03:30 PM

Ask him what the point is of a sport where you have to throw the ball backwards to go forwards.

And ask him where I can get tickets to the next RL World Cup match between Lebanon (ie Punchbowl) and Ireland (Luke Ricketson et all on a holiday).

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st December 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I have a friend who preaches the same thing as Kals , he's never been to see our game live - probably wont either (unless I give him a free ticket) - but hates it. Although will admit to hoping Sydney do well as we're the only team here in Sydney.

An ex of mine was the same. Born in the Sutherland Shire, and a Cronulla Sharks supporter through and through (yet as is normal with rugby league fans, he wouldn't think of ever going to a game to support them. :rolleyes:) He kept on picking at AFL and seemed quite threatened that me as a born and bred Sydneysider could ever dare to follow something so "alien" and "foreign". I dragged him to a match (vs Essendon 02), and seemed intent on pointing all all the bad points of it, claiming that was just his "quirky" sense of humour. Deep down I know he was actually getting into it by the last quarter.

A lot of people seem to just feel threatened by other football codes. It you think it is bad in Sydney, try following Melbourne Storm in Melbourne for a month. Or go to Bigfooty when somebody like Lebanese Forces starts up about how Melbourne people should get behind the Storm in the finals.

Being a Chooks fan, ask him how come their matches hardly ever clash with ours. And wait for his piddly response. Because if both teams were against each other the Roosters' crowd would drop by up to 5-10%. Since Easts Leagues club hopped on board in 1996, many Easts supporters follow the Swans as well. Several haven't gone back either. :p

Probably the best tactic though is of mutual respect. Take an interest in the Roosters' results if only to stimulate conversation with him. Talk about the NRL in the office, and then talk about the Swans as well. Then out of respect to you he might start taking an interest in our results. He might then start watching bits of games on TV. Then surprise him with a ticket to a game. Believe me, lots of people are AFL-baggers. Then they go to a game and think "Sheesh, this is really good!"

As I think you said yourself Bam Bam, it is better to catch flies with honey not vinegar.

Good luck. I think most of us on this list can empathise with your situation.

JF