PDA

View Full Version : How many games for Armstrong in 2013?

ScottH
4th December 2012, 09:07 AM
Missing out on Grand Final glory has made Sydney Swans defender Tony Armstrong determined to make his mark in 2013.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/152011/default.aspx

DamY
4th December 2012, 09:15 AM
He needs to work on his spatial awareness. He got caught from behind holding the ball quite a few times last season, gave me palpitations!

But I do like the cut of his gib so I hope he breaks through in time.

5 games for 2013.

Plugger46
4th December 2012, 09:39 AM
Bit of a fan. He was fantastic against Essendon and I thought he was pretty good against Geelong when he was a late inclusion.

I'll say 17.

Nico
4th December 2012, 09:40 AM
Depends where they play him. If it is off half back then maybe not many. He appears to be too small for that position. Maybe to cover an injured Smith.

I don't know where else he fits in unless he is able to play a similar role to Jetta.

Hartijon
4th December 2012, 09:44 AM
He is a good player but not top 22 yet.His opportunities will come from injuries to the top 22 and he will need to do well to retain his place.

Chilcott
4th December 2012, 10:14 AM
He is up against other small and midsize defenders, such as Smith, Shaw, Mattner and Melco.

To get 10 or more games, he will need to take over from one of those players in the best 22. I just can't see that happening in 2013.

2014 could be his year.

R-1
4th December 2012, 10:18 AM
I think he eclipses Melcho over the course of 2013, actually. So I'll say about 15 games.

Rod_
4th December 2012, 11:08 AM
8 games - 2 as reserve

Rod_

(Just so I am on record)

satchmopugdog
4th December 2012, 11:54 AM
I'm going for 12 due to injuries in the back line. He will give us that continuity needed for a premiership.

Can't believe I just posted those words...me..the eternal pessimist.

jetts32
4th December 2012, 12:57 PM
Unfortunatly for Armstrong, we have the hardest defence to break into so that will limit his games. On the other hand, fortunately for Armstrong he played pretty well more up the ground this year, he played on the wing and did pretty good, also kicked a couple of goals. Unfortunately for Armstrong is that we have other midfielders such as Tom Mitchell who will most likely be better and stronger in the midfield.
Armstrong is running around with Kieran Jack at preseason so that will improve his fitness.
I think he will play a number of games due to injuries and he may also start as a sub for other games. I like him, I see some real potential, pretty quick and a good user of the ball.

Roscoe
4th December 2012, 01:48 PM
I think he eclipses Melcho over the course of 2013, actually. So I'll say about 15 games.

You have to be kidding - Mal is the best kick in the side and is finaly doing more 1% and getting his head over the ball

Armstrong is flashy and a " lurker" who gets cheap possessions off half back .Reminds me of Jason Gram (on field)

Needs to be operated on in the off season by Dr Christian Barnard. Get your head over the ball then maybe

Sure Jetstar isn't "in and under" but he is totally unique and a proven matchwinner

Armstrong is a "downhill skier" - looks good when we are going well. When we are not doing well he takes "short steps"

Rohan, McGlynn, Walsh and many others (including the new boys) are way before him

R-1
4th December 2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sort of assuming Melcho declines quite a bit as well. Hope I'm wrong.

jono2707
4th December 2012, 01:59 PM
I reckon Tony would be pretty much first cab off the rank to cover injuries to Smith, Mattner or Malceski in the backline. So there's every chance of him racking up a dozen or more games in 2013. Sure he's not the hardest nut going around but we recruited him for his footskills and vision and he showed enough of that when given chances this year. He's a nice guy too who seems to be relishing his time as a Swan and he seems to want to make the most of his opportunity - running around after Mr Jack in the off-season can only be a good thing too?

dimelb
4th December 2012, 02:20 PM
He'll get a few games when injuries strike, maybe 7-8. His strength is his beautifully weighted field kicking, but to be a regular first grader he needs to extend his repertoire, perhaps by midfield rotation. A pre-season with Kiz is a good start.

Auntie.Gerald
4th December 2012, 03:13 PM
great start with this season underdone and contributing still

this pre season will show whether he is only a HBF or not !

If Shaw, Mal or Smith where injured he would do a great job.........he is just a little behind them for now only due to being a little less adaptable to being a true one on one defender

if he had the engine an Craig Bird wasnt a head of him.......he could possibly tag !!!

stranger things have happened........he has alot more skill then Kirky and Kirky was similar height and weight at the same age

kirk did ok in the end !

Swansongster
4th December 2012, 04:03 PM
Genuine potential in this bloke for mine. If he stays fit and improves, I suspect he will gather 6-8 games in 2013 as a cover for injuries, out of the yellowish-lime vest and as a horse (with a role) for a course.

Would not be surprised to see a break-out game next year that puts him in the picture for bigger responsibilities post Bolton/ROK/Goodes/Malceski/Shaw.

Coming off a fairly solid base of performances in 2012, he can only get better. A keeper.

Doctor
5th December 2012, 10:25 AM
If you played Football Manager, Armstrong would be listed as "Backup to the first team".

Ludwig
5th December 2012, 02:17 PM
He sounds like a bright well-spoken young man. It's hard to break into the 22 with so much depth at the moment, but he seem the type that will continue to learn and improve and I would give him every chance to work his way into a regular spot in the next couple of years. If not, a career in broadcasting beckons.