PDA

View Full Version : St.Kilda in Wellington

24th December 2012, 04:00 PM
I thought there was a thread on this but can't seem to find it.

Just planning my 2013 and thought 7-10 daze wandering the NZ wineries and being in Wellington for Anzac Day to catch the Swans beating the Saints would be a good thing to do.

Does anyone know if there are any arrangements being made by the club or others for supporters to cross the ditch and watch the game? End of April in wellington, think I'll be taking warm clothing and waterproofs!

Cardinal
26th December 2012, 11:23 AM
Your plans sound similar to mine. We are actually flying to Tassie first for the wine/game there, and then moving on to NZ for more of the same.

According to the anygameanywhere site you can buy a package (now I assume) with general tickets on sale 16 January: http://www.anygameanywhere.com.au/team/sydney-swans-fc

26th December 2012, 12:37 PM
Your plans sound similar to mine. We are actually flying to Tassie first for the wine/game there, and then moving on to NZ for more of the same.

Didn't even think about warming up for NZ with a Tassie trip. That sounds like a great idea that I should add to the 2013 itinerary. Thinking of this as a cross Tasman Pinot Noir challenge!

Cardinal
28th December 2012, 11:23 AM
Didn't even think about warming up for NZ with a Tassie trip. That sounds like a great idea that I should add to the 2013 itinerary. Thinking of this as a cross Tasman Pinot Noir challenge!

Yep it's a cool climate feast this year. We will miss the Geelong game at the SCG though as we will already be in NZ.

Swansongster
19th March 2013, 06:08 PM
Finally got around to renewing my family's memberships today. Four renewals plus two new ones.

Now to book my tickets for a boys away trip to NZ for the Wellington game.

Flying into Auckland and road tripping to the capital and back with some Kiwis who I used to work with many moons ago.

The Melbourne office told me that they had closed their allocation last week so I have to book tickets through Ticketek NZ. Was told there should be plenty left.

Can't wait.

firsty
19th March 2013, 10:33 PM
I ended up booking tickets through Ticketek NZ as I couldn't get the booking system here to give me undercover seats in the Sydney fan zone
very easy to get the seats I wanted with the NZ system and there is the bonus of the pricing, much cheaper @ about A$110.00 total for 5 adults
Can't Wait
Cheer Cheer

DamY
19th March 2013, 11:32 PM
Far out those seats are way cheaper! Anyways is there gonna be an RWO pre-game catchup? :)

Jewels
20th March 2013, 10:20 AM
Far out those seats are way cheaper! Anyways is there gonna be an RWO pre-game catchup? :)

Hope so cause I'm going on my own so I'd love to catch up with some fellow RWOers.

DamY
20th March 2013, 10:42 AM
Hope so cause I'm going on my own so I'd love to catch up with some fellow RWOers.

Well closer to the date we can determine a location near the Stadium and all have a chin wag and maybe a throw down if someone has a beef from the heated discussions had on here! Haha jk I'm sure it'll all be very civilised

Dosser
20th March 2013, 05:54 PM

I hope so because I have got some really good pictures in my mind of what you all look like. :)

DamY
20th March 2013, 08:00 PM
I hope so because I have got some really good pictures in my mind of what you all look like. :)

Haha I am stunningly good looking!!!!

Swansongster
20th March 2013, 09:11 PM
Just booked my flights. There is no turning back now.

I will ask my NZ connections for a good bar choice near the ground. I too would like to put some faces to online handles.

I am going to attend the dawn service in Wellington, so any RWOers interested in that should wear their colours. That could be a good meeting point.

It could be a long day from there as I believe the game doesn't start until nearly 8 o'clock NZ time.

As an aside, I am also planning to take a lot of the old red and white members caps I have lying around (family memberships for many years) for my hosts and to hand out randomly to Kiwis on the night who show an inkling to cheer for Sydney. The Mrs has been hassling me to get rid of them.

DamY
20th March 2013, 09:43 PM
FYI Virgin and Air NZ have a $150 off deal for return flights to NZ. Sale ends tomorrow night!

Swansongster
28th March 2013, 02:56 PM
Has anyone travelled to NZ recently? If so, I have a few dumb-arse questions.

1. I am pretty sure no visa is required - just a current passport. True?

2. Are there any extra entry and/or exit taxes in Australia and/or New Zealand that I should expect to pay?

3. Will my Telstra mobile phone work there or do I need to make arrangements with Telstra or a NZ telecommunications services provider?

4. Any other travel tips or useful information?

Jewels
28th March 2013, 03:10 PM
Has anyone travelled to NZ recently? If so, I have a few dumb-arse questions.

1. I am pretty sure no visa is required - just a current passport. True?

2. Are there any extra entry and/or exit taxes in Australia and/or New Zealand that I should expect to pay?

3. Will my Telstra mobile phone work there or do I need to make arrangements with Telstra or a NZ telecommunications services provider?

4. Any other travel tips or useful information?

We have a kiwi staying with us at the moment and she has answered as follows;

1. True
2. No
3. Not sure, check with provider
4. No, it's really just like flying into another state of Australia (her words not mine)

DamY
28th March 2013, 03:43 PM
We have a kiwi staying with us at the moment and she has answered as follows;

1. True
2. No
3. Not sure, check with provider
4. No, it's really just like flying into another state of Australia (her words not mine)

You'd have to activate global roaming before you leave Australia. You have to contact your provider. Be ware that costs incurred overseas are not included in your cap and you will have to pay not only to send but also receive text messages and calls.
Better off getting a cheap local prepaid sim than roaming tbh

Swansongster
28th March 2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks Jewels/DamY.

DamY
18th April 2013, 09:26 AM
So where are we all meeting? lol

Swansongster
18th April 2013, 11:06 AM
So where are we all meeting? lol

Dawn service, Wellington?

It could be a long day. :smile:

DamY
18th April 2013, 11:41 AM
Dawn service, Wellington?

It could be a long day. :smile:

Awfully unpatriotic of me but I will probably be stumbling home at dawn (due to jetlag)

Doctor
18th April 2013, 12:31 PM
If there does happen to be a pre-game meet, I'd be interested.

Swansongster
18th April 2013, 01:09 PM

I just tweeted to @yellowfever_nz (Wellington Phoenix fan group) asking for a bar recommendation near to the ground. I'll let everyone know what comes back.

Swansongster
18th April 2013, 02:09 PM

I just tweeted to @yellowfever_nz (Wellington Phoenix fan group) asking for a bar recommendation near to the ground. I'll let everyone know what comes back.

Just received a tweet back from @yellowfever_nz

"Yellow Fever?@YellowFever_NZ2m
@Swansongster Hey folks. We heartily endorse the Backbencher. Home of the Fever. Backbencher | The Backbencher Gastropub (http://www.backbencher.co.nz) . tell them we sent you."

One option to watch the earlier game from the MCG (assuming it will be on NZ tele).

JudesaGun
18th April 2013, 02:51 PM
Is the game on FTA in Melbourne?

ScottH
18th April 2013, 03:47 PM
Is the game on FTA in Melbourne?

No. Only the Pies/Bombers game is.

Doctor
18th April 2013, 04:28 PM
Just received a tweet back from @yellowfever_nz

"Yellow Fever?@YellowFever_NZ2m
@Swansongster Hey folks. We heartily endorse the Backbencher. Home of the Fever. Backbencher | The Backbencher Gastropub (http://www.backbencher.co.nz) . tell them we sent you."

One option to watch the earlier game from the MCG (assuming it will be on NZ tele).

Nice work! I'd love to drop in there either before or after (or both...) but I will have the family with me so compromises will need to be made!

boroboy
18th April 2013, 07:59 PM
Can vouch for the Backbencher-cracker of a pub. Always buzzing, real mix of a crowd including all the Pollies, young crowd and sports fans. Great grub and not far from ground. We will be there....!

Swansongster
18th April 2013, 10:31 PM
Can vouch for the Backbencher-cracker of a pub. Always buzzing, real mix of a crowd including all the Pollies, young crowd and sports fans. Great grub and not far from ground. We will be there....!

I am somewhat at the mercy of my hosts but they are from Auckland and will probably not have a preference so I'll steer them to the Backbencher. Hope they show the earlier MCG game on NZ TV.

Dosser
22nd April 2013, 05:13 PM
I'll be bringing another Swans supporter to the Backbencher as well. What time will everyone be meeting?

royboy42
22nd April 2013, 05:32 PM
Looks as if Milne might join you at the Backbencher..got 2 for gouging, and can accept one with early plea..although he hasn't been going that well anyway.Still Smooch will see another sainter for the first time.

DamY
22nd April 2013, 05:51 PM
I'll be bringing another Swans supporter to the Backbencher as well. What time will everyone be meeting?

Hopefully they'll be playing Ess v Coll there, I'll be there watching it

ShockOfHair
23rd April 2013, 12:58 AM
Here's an AAP story about the game, published on NZ website Stuff. 20,000 locals expected to attend - that sounds a lot.

More than 2500 St Kilda members are flying from Melbourne, compared to 1500 of their Swans' counterparts. And Nettlefold hopes that of the roughly 20,000 locals expected to attend, the majority will adopt the Saints, given they have driven the concept and will host two games per season there from next year onwards.

Wellington to be St Kilda's home away from home (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/8582811/Wellington-to-be-St-Kildas-home-away-from-home)

Doctor
23rd April 2013, 08:43 AM
It's great here. Those travelling will enjoy themselves immensely.

I went to the Backbencher for the A-League GF and told them we were coming. It's a nice pub with good staff.

Cardinal
23rd April 2013, 10:18 AM
Just got into Wellington from the south island. Can you believe the host at the b&b we just left lived in Australia in the 70s and still had his Saints scarf!

DamY
23rd April 2013, 10:31 AM
It's great here. Those travelling will enjoy themselves immensely.

I went to the Backbencher for the A-League GF and told them we were coming. It's a nice pub with good staff.

Did I meet you briefly before the GF last year?

ScottH
23rd April 2013, 10:35 AM
Some interesting stats for the number crunchers.
By the numbers - Round 5 - SAINTS.com.au (http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-04-23/by-the-numbers-round-5)

Saints effective disposals % is the highest for 2013.
Doesn't mean much if your not worrying the scoreboard.

R-1
23rd April 2013, 10:43 AM
Turns out my friends live in Thorndon about 400 metres from the stadium so that's handy for me.

sharp9
23rd April 2013, 12:35 PM
Thought I had bad news about pies/Dons in NZ....as live AFL start doesn't atrt until NEXT WEEK in NZ with a new free to air channel called Sonnet Sports....currently on Sky TV there is one a game a week played Tuesday Night and 1 hour 9 game wrap-up also on Tuesday nights are the only things on (even on pay TV).

But this week BOTH Anzac games are on back to back on Sky Sport 3 so will definitely be available in any pub you ask for it.....first bounce at 4.40....St. George/Roosters kicks off at 6.00 so you might have to fight to watch the 2nd half!!!

sharp9
23rd April 2013, 12:40 PM
Anyone know if there is an open training session at the ground tomorrow? (Wednesday)

Ludwig
23rd April 2013, 01:00 PM
Saints effective disposals % is the highest for 2013.
Doesn't mean much if your not worrying the scoreboard.

I always wonder how much this might be a reflection of the number of short kicks because you're having trouble moving the ball forward. NM is 2nd and they have been doing a lot of that this year as well. So the 2 top teams in this category haven't been going all that well this year.

Then again, the next 5 teams are having pretty good seasons.

How often do you see the best players on teams with low DE%s. Goodes and Hanners are often near the top of our list. The high DEs are usually defenders kicking it around to each other.

GoSouth33
23rd April 2013, 06:32 PM
Heading for Wellington this evening. Look forward to catching up at the Backbencher pre-game with whoever is going to be there. Getting excited already!

firsty
23rd April 2013, 07:05 PM
Here in NZ now
The Wellington friends I'm taking to the game just tried to book us into the backbencher for pre game dinner only to be told they are full.
So we are now going the dockside bar/restaurant on Queens wharf just up from the railway station.
They are opening early @ 5pm to cater for the game.

DamY
23rd April 2013, 08:24 PM
Here in NZ now
The Wellington friends I'm taking to the game just tried to book us into the backbencher for pre game dinner only to be told they are full.
So we are now going the dockside bar/restaurant on Queens wharf just up from the railway station.
They are opening early @ 5pm to cater for the game.

Ok cool see y'all there!

Doctor
23rd April 2013, 09:15 PM
Did I meet you briefly before the GF last year?

Yep!

Doctor
23rd April 2013, 09:21 PM
The Backbencher is a restaurant and bar so it must be the restaurant that is full. The manager I spoke with said he'd have the big screen on for the early game as well as ours. Probably worth checking it out first if you want to watch it ovee a couple of beers as the game starts around 4.20 NZ time doesn't it? That's before the other place opens.

DamY
23rd April 2013, 10:36 PM
Yep!

Sweet, let's catch up properly this time hehe

sharp9
24th April 2013, 06:11 AM
Shouldn't be too cold...Wellington's weather is mild and slightly humid, generally speaking. Night time temperatures at this time of year are the same as Sydney (roughly) and warmer than Homebush/Melbourne at this time of year.....unless, of course, it's windy - or raining. And it is windy nearly all the time and it rains a helluva lot so good luck everyone. :rofl
Actual factual....Wellington has the mildest temperatures of any city on the planet!!!!!!!!! Winter maximum 13.....Summer maximum 19.....No other cool climate has so little change between seasons.......so there you go (as long as you ignore the wind, of course).....something like 270 "Windy" days per year. Woo hoo off to airport (don't forget to drop the kids off!)

Dosser
25th April 2013, 12:15 PM
Cold and wit here this morning, but it may be clearing later this evenung. Just passed Dre, Tony A., Jetts, and Jane in the street and they were hippy to say hi. We will try the Backbencher first this afternoon and then the Dockside if the bench is full. So many Swans supporters walking the streets here it is great. See you all this evenung.

DamY
25th April 2013, 01:13 PM
Cold and wit here this morning, but it may be clearing later this evenung. Just passed Dre, Tony A., Jetts, and Jane in the street and they were hippy to say hi. We will try the Backbencher first this afternoon and then the Dockside if the bench is full. So many Swans supporters walking the streets here it is great. See you all this evenung.

Evenung? Welly has changed you already haha

Yeah will go to Old Bailey and Backbencher this arvo for the other ANZAC Day match

Doctor
25th April 2013, 03:17 PM
Heading to Backbencher now. Hope to bump into a few Swans fans to have a beer with!

sharp9
25th April 2013, 03:21 PM
Woo hoo....all rain now removed from met service 2 hourly forecast. Now says "Becoming fine fresh nor westers easing in the evening" sun now shining and a very light breeze (by Wellington standards).

Doctor
26th April 2013, 07:51 AM
The Backbencher was pretty crowded but I met Dosser and had a couple with him and his mate. The locals were also very friendly and the cheers and boos as events unfolded in the early game made for great fun.

Dosser
26th April 2013, 11:01 AM
I've got to say that I am doing this again. Had a GREAT day yesterday. Met Doctor at the Backbencher and the locals were really friendly and even organised for us to get samples of several of the beers being served. The game was a lot of fun but the best part of the event has been the locals. Yesterday morning I met an older couple who were up from Christchurch for the game. They had never seen the game live but watch it on TV every weekend and follow the Swans. They were so excited to be able to see a game at last - and it is their team!
Saving the best to last, went back to an Irish pub in Cuba St after the game (they kept it open until 2am for us) and sat next to a big group of Saints supporters who reminded me of why I dislike that team so much. They were going on and on about how Kozzie's interchange breach was only because of the rules brought in because the Swans cheated all those years ago, etc. Listened to this for a while until 2 locals rocked up as noisy as ever. They were dressed in red and white including tutus and wings on their backs. The wife even had a feather boa she had put a swan's head on. They were so loud and just kept giving it to the Saints supporters - it was hilarious! But the best part? They dont even follow AFL but had decided to get into the spirit of the event and dress up and attend! And the had a ball just serving it up to Saints supporters. What a great night. If we do it again next year you must consider coming over. Off I go now to enjoy some more of Wellington and spend another evening couched in a pub watching cricket/soccer/netball.

DamY
26th April 2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah my first time in Wellington was just amazing, got pics with KT Bazza Hanners and Kizza! They were out and about after the game. The game was good fun and a school friend saw me imitating Ahmed Saad kicking for goal but I had my drinks instead of a Sherrin lol which got a giggle out of a few people!

I thought Samantha Jade did an awful job on the anthem and made it impossible to sing along to, much preferred Stan Walker's anthem. Was cool being able to sing both the Aus and NZ anthems!

Overall highly rated the experience and I am sure a lot of the 5000 that came over will be more than happy to come back again!

mcs
26th April 2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah my first time in Wellington was just amazing, got pics with KT Bazza Hanners and Kizza! They were out and about after the game. The game was good fun and a school friend saw me imitating Ahmed Saad kicking for goal but I had my drinks instead of a Sherrin lol which got a giggle out of a few people!

I thought Samantha Jade did an awful job on the anthem and made it impossible to sing along to, much preferred Stan Walker's anthem. Was cool being able to sing both the Aus and NZ anthems!

Overall highly rated the experience and I am sure a lot of the 5000 that came over will be more than happy to come back again!

If we play them again next year over there, I'm certainly coming over for it. Would have done it this year except for now have a 8 week trip to Europe at the end of the year coming up!

Meg
26th April 2013, 04:18 PM
I thought Samantha Jade did an awful job on the anthem and made it impossible to sing along to, much preferred Stan Walker's anthem.

I watched on TV and completely agree with this comment. In my view singers should show respect for the Australian national anthem by singing it in its traditional form. The woman from the Defence forces who sang the anthem at the MCG did so and did it with style. I too was very impressed with the singing of the NZ anthem. The sound of the crowd singing along with the soloist was quite moving - it seemed as if all the NZlanders there sang it with pride. Sadly we don't see an Australian crowd do that with our anthem.

ShockOfHair
26th April 2013, 06:46 PM
I quite liked the Samantha Jade version of the anthem. I see she's also sung the national anthem at NFL games, the A-League final and V-8 Supercars - she's clearly an expert.

Sounds like the game was a success in every way. It drew a crowd three times the size of the last Hurricanes game, the PM turned up and a lot of Kiwis got into it. It was the top sports story on stuff.co.nz this morning. Well done to Saint Kilda for coming up with the idea. Not often you get to say that.

ShockOfHair
27th April 2013, 11:47 AM
If we play them again next year over there, I'm certainly coming over for it. Would have done it this year except for now have a 8 week trip to Europe at the end of the year coming up!

Just as well you've got Europe. Looks like Saints want to play a team they can beat (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/afl-strongly-considering-an-anzac-day-triple-header/story-e6frf9jf-1226630229792).

THE AFL is strongly considering an Anzac Day triple header next year involving nine hours of football, with Brisbane emerging as St Kilda's likely opponent.

Doctor
28th April 2013, 12:58 PM
I have to agree with everything Dosser said. The whole experience was fantastic. The wife, kids and I had a great week. I'd also agree with comments about the food inside the ground though - it was 'orrible, The beers were good though. If I can possibly find a way to get back there next year I will endeavour to do so.

Just on the anthems, the best part of both of them for me was that they were sing a capella, as they should be. I hate the big overblown orchestrated backing taped version they normally get someone to sing over. Having said that, Samantha Jade put too much affectation into it for me. Stan Walker was bloody brilliant.

dimelb
28th April 2013, 01:19 PM
I have to agree with everything Dosser said. The whole experience was fantastic. The wife, kids and I had a great week. I'd also agree with comments about the food inside the ground though - it was 'orrible, The beers were good though. If I can possibly find a way to get back there next year I will endeavour to do so.

Just on the anthems, the best part of both of them for me was that they were sing a capella, as they should be. I hate the big overblown orchestrated backing taped version they normally get someone to sing over. Having said that, Samantha Jade put too much affectation into it for me. Stan Walker was bloody brilliant.
You don't slide into notes in the national anthem. It's not a blues.
But there's an idea ...

Swansongster
28th April 2013, 02:10 PM
Just got home. Had a ball. Made it to the Backbencher after the game.

Weather was amazing. Locals were full of fun and very curious. I spent a week road tripping from and back to Auckland with a mate I haven't seen for 25 years. Went to some amazing places including the Republic of Whangamomona (look it up - I had my passport stamped).

It really is easy to pop over and see our friends across the Tasman. So thrilled to be able to take in a Swans game in doing so.

Don't think the Swans will get another gig. It's St Kilda's home games that are being played there and the rumour was that it would be Port or Crows next time.

Thought Luke Parker was robbed of BOG.

erica
28th April 2013, 02:42 PM
Perhaps they'll ask the AFL to let them play a team they might have a chance of beating, next time.

DamY
28th April 2013, 04:29 PM
Perhaps they'll ask the AFL to let them play a team they might have a chance of beating, next time.

They're requesting a QLD based team next time

Doctor
28th April 2013, 04:36 PM
I'd heard that it was us for the 3 ANZAC Day games. Only alternatives are Qld or SA teams though really. They're not gonna play a match between 2 Vic teams over there.

DamY
28th April 2013, 09:15 PM
I'd heard that it was us for the 3 ANZAC Day games. Only alternatives are Qld or SA teams though really. They're not gonna play a match between 2 Vic teams over there.

Yah fair enough. Like I said, will come back at the drop of a hat!

Ludlow Lad
30th April 2013, 01:03 AM
Hi all. First post on Red & White Online. I too went to the game in Wellington, with Dosser. Met Doctor at the Backbencher and got to know the Wellington-ites after the game at Hotel Bristol in Cuba Street. Great atmosphere and the locals very hospitable and welcoming.

Dosser
30th April 2013, 01:08 AM
Hi all. First post on Red & White Online. I too went to the game in Wellington, with Dosser. Met Doctor at the Backbencher and got to know the Wellington-ites after the game at Hotel Bristol in Cuba Street. Great atmosphere and the locals very hospitable and welcoming.

Hey - welcome, Luddy-boy!

The first thing my wife said when I walked through the door was "You've put on weight..." I want to go back :(

Untamed Snark
30th April 2013, 09:25 AM

The Auskick kids?

DamY
1st May 2013, 08:27 AM
The Auskick kids?

Hahahahaha