PDA

View Full Version : Nicks will retire

Footy123
19th January 2004, 12:25 PM
Well i can almost guarantee that this will be Mathew Nicks' last season. He will retire at the end of the season because of his body and because his head isnt into it anymore. He will continue to live in Sydney though and not return to his home town of Adelaide. I think this is one season too late. He should have retired at the end of last season as he will probably play most of the season in reserves or spend most of the time on the bench. Then again, he is getting paid big bucks to be doing that due to him sign a large contract a few years back worth about $350,000 over a few years. Then again, he does provide valuable experience to a young side but is definately not worth $120,000!

Rod_
19th January 2004, 02:52 PM
His best seasons have been in the back line. Ever since he has become the makeshift forward, injured and spare parts on the ball his form has slipped.

I can only hope that he is fit and gets returned to his back line duties. He was touted to being considered for the captaincy 18 months ago and now he is for the high jump. Go figure? Give him a chance! I agree that last season was poor to average, but if the Roos plan is to hold onto players and give them a change to redeem themselves after making mistakes and having poor form. He has a future. I feel he has 2 years to go at least. (Does need to lift to retain his spot in the firsts - could help more off the field or in the seconds than others) New contract would have to be based on a performance criteria...

Rod_

chammond
19th January 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Footy123
Nicks will retire
Well i can almost guarantee that this will be Mathew Nicks' last season.

Well i can almost guarantee that you don't know what you're talking about.

And i can almost guarantee that you only wrote that crap to try and stir up a bit of debate.

Good luck.

Sanecow
19th January 2004, 07:40 PM
I can almost guarantee that Warfe will win the Brownlow this year.

JF_Bay22_SCG
19th January 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Rod_
His best seasons have been in the back line. Ever since he has become the makeshift forward, injured and spare parts on the ball his form has slipped.

I've questioned his existance in the team for well over 2 seasons now. From memory he was an All-australian Half-back flanker in 2001 odd. He could use his pace and skill to distribute the ball down field over the SCG centre wicket area and the non-existant half forward line to Lockett and the forwards.

But he simply does NOT possess the pace to do that any more. He has been tried in the forward line over the last couple of seasons with minimal success. As I've said on several occasions he lacks the low centre of gravity to be a proper forward line rover. And futhermore lacks the body strength and height to contest a mark in a pack. In addition to that, his kicking from a set shot is often terrible as well.

When we are undergoing a youth development programme, I seriously have to ask why we are continuing with him. We've had serious egg on our faces with mid-season retirements of Craig O'Brien and Wayne Schwass, who despite advancing years were both still being selected in the senior side. I can seriously see the Swans number one nose picker :eek: doing the same this season.

Hey, I liked Nicksey when he was at his best on the HBF. But he is a shadow of his former self in his present state. Players who do not know when to pull the plug get on my nerves. Nickseys, you've been a great player for our club. But don't undo things by playing when you are not 100% up to it. Or are you going to enjoy the Saturday frosts at Manuka Oval playing with kids 15 years your junior?

Does anyone who watches the Reggies enough know of better alternatives to him for a HBF spot>? Personally I'd like Barry & Saddington there, with Schauble (another player I'm starting to worry about) taking on the stronger-bodied marking types like Tredrea etc.

Thoughts?

JF

Charlie
20th January 2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG

Schauble (another player I'm starting to worry about)

JF

Lost me completely right there. There wasn't anything more that Schauble could do this year. He was 2nd in the entire league for least number of goals conceded per match... meaning that because of Schaubes, the opposition's best forward was getting only 1 or 2 goals on average per match.

You reckon that isn't earning his place in the team? Or has your worry got to do with having players over the age of 25 in the team?

Rizzo
20th January 2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Lost me completely right there. There wasn't anything more that Schauble could do this year.

HEAR HEAR!

chammond
20th January 2004, 11:28 AM

When we are undergoing a youth development programme, I seriously have to ask why we are continuing with him. We've had serious egg on our faces with mid-season retirements of Craig O'Brien and Wayne Schwass, who despite advancing years were both still being selected in the senior side. I can seriously see the Swans number one nose picker :eek: doing the same this season.

You can't be serious?!

stellation
20th January 2004, 02:35 PM
Lost me completely right there. There wasn't anything more that Schauble could do this year. He was 2nd in the entire league for least number of goals conceded per match... meaning that because of Schaubes, the opposition's best forward was getting only 1 or 2 goals on average per match.

You reckon that isn't earning his place in the team? Or has your worry got to do with having players over the age of 25 in the team?

For my money Schauble was right up there for best backmen in the league this year. He blanketed Lynch.

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th January 2004, 03:09 PM

What I'm saying is that Schaubs is another who isn't getting any younger or faster. As well as he has played over recent seasons for us, his mobility is a concern to me. And sometimes his kicking can be a tad unconvincing.

That is just a gut reaction on my part. Still Schaubs carries a huge weight on his shoulders, being the biggest key defender we have.

JF

Footy123
20th January 2004, 04:05 PM
Chammond

Well it will take a brillant form change from Nicks for him not to retire. I also just dont make this stuff up. Just thought you'd like to know thats all. Im not trying to stir up any debate, just repeating what i have heard.

chammond
20th January 2004, 05:13 PM
just repeating what i have heard.

Yes. I noticed that.

Charlie
20th January 2004, 07:18 PM
What I'm saying is that Schaubs is another who isn't getting any younger or faster. As well as he has played over recent seasons for us, his mobility is a concern to me. And sometimes his kicking can be a tad unconvincing.

That is just a gut reaction on my part. Still Schaubs carries a huge weight on his shoulders, being the biggest key defender we have.

JF

As far as I know, there is not a human being on this planet who is getting younger, and not many of footballing age who are getting quicker. It's irrelevent how old he is. He's doing his bit, and doing it bloody well. For crying out loud, he's only 27 or something like that!

Dunks was neither quick, nor able to kick. But he could play full-back... and you know what? So can Schaubes.

Next time, wait for his form to actually drop off before you post your "gut reactions".

BTW - Nicksy has this year, as does Warfe. If he earns his spot, keeps it, and shows signs of being able to do so in the future... he deserves to stay. I don't think either should start in the 22, but if they earn it, they earn it. Why would we wish anything else but for ANY Swan to perform well? What's the point in retiring him NOW?

taurus
20th January 2004, 09:31 PM

Hey, I liked Nicksey when he was at his best on the HBF. But he is a shadow of his former self in his present state. Players who do not know when to pull the plug get on my nerves. Nickseys, you've been a great player for our club. But don't undo things by playing when you are not 100% up to it. Or are you going to enjoy the Saturday frosts at Manuka Oval playing with kids 15 years your junior?

JF [/B]

So going by your argument a player should retire straight after reaching his peak performance/capcity level??
:rolleyes:

JF, I totally agree with you that Nicksy is a shadow of his former self. He may still have something to contribute to the team (hope so), if his fitness improves compared to last year. I would expect that his contract would NOT be renewed at the end of the year.

What irritates me about your post (reading between the lines) is that you are implying that Nicksy's significant form deterioration is somehow entirely his own fault; that he is apathetic about his performance. I don't think that's a fair criticism.

"BTW - Nicksy has this year, as does Warfe. If he earns his spot, keeps it, and shows signs of being able to do so in the future... he deserves to stay. I don't think either should start in the 22, but if they earn it, they earn it. Why would we wish anything else but for ANY Swan to perform well? What's the point in retiring him NOW? " Posted by Charlie

Hear, Hear

NMWBloods
20th January 2004, 10:27 PM
What I'm saying is that Schaubs is another who isn't getting any younger or faster.

Nobody gets younger. It's pretty rare for anyone to get faster too!!

His mobility is fine - he frequently runs off his oponent and presents an option in the forward line. He can match it with most forwards, except for the strongest or fastest, but then most defenders struggle with these sort.

He's not a superstar, but he is a solid and serviceable defender, playing the key role in our backline, and doing a good job, when he really should probably be the number two defender.

As for age, that's just silly. He only recently turned 27!!

Footy123
21st January 2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Nobody gets younger. It's pretty rare for anyone to get faster too!!

His mobility is fine - he frequently runs off his oponent and presents an option in the forward line. He can match it with most forwards, except for the strongest or fastest, but then most defenders struggle with these sort.

He's not a superstar, but he is a solid and serviceable defender, playing the key role in our backline, and doing a good job, when he really should probably be the number two defender.

As for age, that's just silly. He only recently turned 27!!

I do agree with most of what you said. All except his age. He actually turns 29 in a couple of months. He has in the past serviced the club well but and that yes, he does have the skills, speed and fitness to keep playing but what im saying is his head isnt in the game anymore. If he cant play most of the games this year in firsts, he will retire.

Maybe a few good games will build his confidence but the swans wont hold onto him if he doesnt improve and he doesnt want to play anywhere else.

Charlie
21st January 2004, 09:22 AM
I do agree with most of what you said. All except his age. He actually turns 29 in a couple of months. He has in the past serviced the club well but and that yes, he does have the skills, speed and fitness to keep playing but what im saying is his head isnt in the game anymore. If he cant play most of the games this year in firsts, he will retire.

Maybe a few good games will build his confidence but the swans wont hold onto him if he doesnt improve and he doesnt want to play anywhere else.

NMW was talking about Andrew Schauble.

Go Swannies
21st January 2004, 09:32 AM
It must be the summer sun frying brains. Sure Nicks' performance has been patchy - and that's why he had games in the reserves last year. When he was picked for the team he played his part. Give him a chance - and accept Roos knows what he's doing. No doubt this time last year everyone was suggesting getting rid of non-performing Jude Bolton!

On the subject of Schauble, I'd like to repeat what I said on another post. Over the past two weeks I've watched most of the Swan's 2003 season and the pattern was that Schauble was on the same level as a defender as Leo and Kirk. He's just less noticeable in getting on with the job.

It was a close season (remember after we played round 22 we had to wait until the next day to see if we finished 4th or 6th). I'd go out on a limb and say that without Schauble we may not have made the 8. So back off the criticism and hope he has a season as good this year.

CureTheSane
21st January 2004, 10:10 AM
weird.

I actually had a dream last night that Nicks retired before the season started.

I remember dreaming that I was pissed because we could have had another young guy on the list :lol

BAM_BAM
21st January 2004, 01:25 PM
so you have strange Swans related dreams too???

Mine are particularly strange at times. The most recent, we were playing the prelim 2004 against the Lions and watching for the other result between Collingwood and Melbourne which was being played at the same time at the MCG.

We were at a ground which was a bit of both the SCG and SA and I was waiting for the yellow wiggle (Greg) to take off Jeff's purple skivvy and put on a normal shirt before we could leave for the game.

Can't tell you if Nicksy was there though as I couldn't make out any players. ;)

If anyone can analyse that I'd appreciate it.

Charlie
21st January 2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM

If anyone can analyse that I'd appreciate it.

Hmm...

You have a strong desire for your team to do well... but not necessarily to reach the peak (winning the grand final), as your dream only takes in the preliminaries and doesn't actually determine whether the Swans win. This could mean that you are focussed more on the journey than the destination, and that the dream of a premiership is more fulfilling than the realisation of that dream.

The mix of the SCG and Stadium Australia could signify that you are looking to mix the old ways with the new. Of course, just as the Brewongle Stand can not be at Stadium Australia, the old and new do not fit seamlessly, but that doesn't stop you wishing for it to work anyway. You tend to ignore reality and focus on your dreams.

The presence of the Wiggles in your dreams means two things. First, you want Greg to take his shirt off... hmm... wonder what that means? Secondly, you've been watching too much TV with your kids.

Yes... clearly an idealist who lives for the future, not the present, who allows their mind to wander a little too much while watching TV with the kids!

;):cool::eek:

BAM_BAM
22nd January 2004, 01:38 PM
well the worst part of that Charlie is I don't have kids and the nephews and nieces aren't wiggles watchers (or least they don't with me) :o

By not taking off his shirt, He was going to make me late for the game and a lot of these weirdo dreams are based in part of me arriving late to the game.

Or I have a subconscious desire to see him shirtless!

I'm even more confused.

maybe I shouldn't eat chocolate before going to bed.:)

Charlie
22nd January 2004, 01:59 PM
Well... there goes my budding career as a dream interpreter...sigh...:D

bigswan
22nd January 2004, 03:18 PM
To those so-called supporters calling for Nicksy's head before the season has started, have a look at the replay of the Port fnal- he can still play. He would be better on the backline though. As for Schaubs- he had a great season and was rarely beaten all season. Players get older but they losde their experience which takes years to gain. You just can't replace older players with kids. You gradually blend them into the side. It takes about 5 years for draftees to make the grade-lok at Goodes, Bolts, Fossy.
Stick with us. This team is going to up there again.

Sanecow
22nd January 2004, 03:46 PM
The dogs are sniffing out their next target now that Frosty has left.

CureTheSane
22nd January 2004, 05:44 PM
I think we're just having a bit of fun at Matty's expense in the boredom of the off season.

Once things are up and running, most here will give him the benefit of the doubt for the first 18 rounds.

If he hasn't get his ass into gear by then, we will ba calling for his head.

Same with Warfe.

I hope both play really really well, and shut us all up.
Can't think of anything I'd like more, but I also can't think of anything more unlikely :lol