PDA

View Full Version : Honesty the best policy

sharp9
28th February 2003, 02:47 PM
Just saw this quote on swans.com

?It?s going to be the rookies? - Jarrad McVeigh, Josh Thewlis, Sean Dempster and Nick Malceski - last taste of senior footy as we don?t expect them to play during this season unless they do something dramatic in the seconds.?

The thing that is so refreshing was the sheer honesty of it.
It's just fantstic to see. There doesn't seem to be any "game playing" (excuse the pun) in the new look Swans. Long may it continue......

I assume that he is also being very honest with J.Bolton Warfe Mathews and Seymour about their skill level when compared to those from Brisbane, Essendon and both Adelaides. Maybe if they are hearing it straight, along with the words "last chance" then we might finally see some actual improvement.

I reckon if I spent 30 hours a week training I could find some way to be better after a few months!

You only have to look at the career of S. Warne to see the perfect example of how not being honest (with yourself and others) is the perfect way to stuff things up in the long term.

How many sporstmen (esp cricketers and footballers) use phrases like "naive and stupid" as if to excuse themselves from actually being liars and totally lacking the integrity and decency expected of everyone else in the community? It's is enough to make you weep.
Good to see Roosy setting a better example....Actually come to think of it, didn't our very own Swan BBBBH admit that maybe he did something wrong and let the team down when he scratched himself out for five games?

Great to see that no one offerred excuses for him - unlike those pathetic, spineless players who represent this great country at cricket.

TheMase
28th February 2003, 03:31 PM
I think what the Swans mean is that they have no 'expectations' of those kids to play senior footy this season.

Meaning there is no pressure on them to overdo themselves to perform to that level.

That said, I bet at least one of those 4 will play a handful of matches this season, my guess would be Josh Thewlis.
Obviously they only should pick a team on form, so by drastically they mean better than they expect for a first year draftee.

Wouldn't read much into that as to if the kids will play senior footy this year.

sharp9
28th February 2003, 03:38 PM
Speaking of the kids, does anyone know if Malceski has a general tendancy to go in hard, win the ball, beat a couple of opponents unexpectedly and then kick it away aimlessly? Or are there reports anywhere that his disposal is normally above the standard set by the Swans of 2001/2002?

Rizzo
28th February 2003, 04:45 PM
He was probably surprised to end up with the pill to start with, then realised the next thing to happen was to get creamed if he didn't get rid of it. It will come with experience.

Nico
28th February 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Speaking of the kids, does anyone know if Malceski has a general tendancy to go in hard, win the ball, beat a couple of opponents unexpectedly and then kick it away aimlessly? Or are there reports anywhere that his disposal is normally above the standard set by the Swans of 2001/2002?

Malceski - well my observation of the Under18 GF was that he only had one of the above mentioned - kicking aimlessly.

I watched the whole game and remarked to those watching with me that he had quite a few possessions but had no 'field sense" at all. Looked to be puely a receiver who was not hard at it at all.

I was amazed that any club picked him up, particularly when a player called Leigh Treeby who was exceptionally hard, good disposal and had excellent second and third efforts and was about BOG but didn't get a mention at draft time and isn't even on a rookie list. Apparently not that good on his right foot was his problem.

Spoke to a bloke recently who sees a lot of Vic U18 games and he said there are heaps who should have been drafted before Malceski.

Lets hope he makes it, but I suggest we might have a few too many of his types.

Ajn
1st March 2003, 10:54 AM
It is a standard Swans policy, one that has worked for years. Goodes was a second year player, when he won the Rising Star, because there was no pressure on him to start performing straight away. It gives them a grounding in which to improve their fitness and strength to cope with the pace of AFL football. Keep it up Swans!

desredandwhite
1st March 2003, 01:19 PM
Which brings us to the point - which 2nd and 3rd year players can we expect to see on the paddock this year then? ;)

Roberts-Thomson, Hunt, Powell. Haven't heard very much hype from these guys. Really only saw Powell last weekend, showed a couple of nice touches, but quiet. Ablett, Buchanan, Schneider? I'd say all 3 will get a chance at some point this year.

Cheer Cheer
1st March 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Ablett, Buchanan, Schneider? I'd say all 3 will get a chance at some point this year.

I think that will be the first three youngsters to get real game time before any of the other youngsters, Ablett first , the Buchanan once he gets fit, and maybe schneider - but he is a back up the Buchanan.

Charlie
1st March 2003, 02:09 PM
Sundqvist will play 12-16 matches if he can stay fit. Potential star utility in my book.

Buchanan will be at the head of the line for crumbing duties when fit as well. He'll have to prove himself there before getting a chance in the midfield though.

Ablett and LRT will be the designated youngsters for midfield and defence. All they need to do is steer clear of injuries, and they'll be given the second half of the year.

Hunt, Powell and Schneider will probably be behind this first group. Injuries will play a major part in deciding how much game time, but imo will probably get 6-10 matches each... especially if the season is over relatively early.

McVeigh, Dempster, Thewlis and Malceski are all unlikely. The most mature of this bunch looks to be Thewlis, so he could have an opportunity if injuries get really bad.

Charlie