PDA

View Full Version : Against the Odds

dawson
19th September 2013, 12:01 AM
One of my favorite ever Swans games is the 2003 Qualifying Final against Port. Not only did Port win four more games for the year and finish first, but the game was in Adelaide where we didn't have a good record. Like now we had injuries, even Roos was on crutches!

Against the odds, we played perfect finals football and upset them. When you consider the record of the Swans in finals up-to that point, it's even more impressive. Till then, the 1996 Grand Final was the anomaly - that finals series saw us register our first finals win for 50 years.

In a two-horse race, anything is possible. Notwithstanding the injuries and the travel, these final two games could be the two games where the Swans click. We play our best football when we are the underdogs and that's what we are now. No one else rates us and that's fine by me.

Regardless of what happens on Saturday, I'm proud of the team and privileged to be a Swans supporter.

albrotha
19th September 2013, 04:55 AM
Hear hear.

Wardy
19th September 2013, 05:12 AM
Agree - seems everyone gas got the purple faze craze -we only need to win by a point!!! And for Geelong and Hawks to bash the crap out if each other!!

stellation
19th September 2013, 08:36 AM
One of my fondest memories of a footy performance by an individual was Barry Hall in that game. He had a blinder, took a bunch of marks and kicked 6 goals- but my favourite part was when he came up the ground late and took a bunch of ruck contests on the wing- from memory we absorbed almost 2 minutes late in the game from it.

hot potato
19th September 2013, 08:40 AM
Keep on clicking Boys!

dimelb
19th September 2013, 09:00 AM
One of the great games. We had the flair to flash and the guts to grind.
Additional standouts: LRT's goal, Goodes "kicking goals at both ends", Maxfield's desperate break through the middle, Baz's crosskick to Davo, Luke Ablett chasing the ball on all fours. What an effort!
If the boys can put in like that, who knows what we could achieve?

bloodbrother
19th September 2013, 09:03 AM
was watching 360 last night and hearing them talk you would think that there is only one team playing in perth this weekend and after hearing the comments of that d..###### maclure saying what a boring game it would be if the swans won makes me so angry ..this team is incredible ,,they do things that others can't ..I still maintain that if any of the rest of the top 4 had as many of their stars sidelined they would have not made the top 4 ...let alone be playing prelim weekend ....I really am proud they have made it this far with everything against them...I am full of hope they can pull off what would be the greatest performance by a team in the history of the afl ..and if the cats and hawks belt each other stupid we could go into the gf with a realistic chance of back to back..whatever the result this weekend you just know our blokes will bleed for the red and white ..go swans ..

Sandridge
19th September 2013, 09:10 AM
One of my favorite ever Swans games is the 2003 Qualifying Final against Port. Not only did Port win four more games for the year and finish first, but the game was in Adelaide where we didn't have a good record. Like now we had injuries, even Roos was on crutches!

Against the odds, we played perfect finals football and upset them. When you consider the record of the Swans in finals up-to that point, it's even more impressive. Till then, the 1996 Grand Final was the anomaly - that finals series saw us register our first finals win for 50 years.

In a two-horse race, anything is possible. Notwithstanding the injuries and the travel, these final two games could be the two games where the Swans click. We play our best football when we are the underdogs and that's what we are now. No one else rates us and that's fine by me.

Regardless of what happens on Saturday, I'm proud of the team and privileged to be a Swans supporter.

2005 and 2012 Grand Finals aside, I believe that game was the greatest Swans win I've seen. We weren't given a snowflakes chance in hell of winning but win we did! Although acknowledging that Freo should be firm favourites to win on Saturday, the Melbourne press are beginning to warm to our chances of upsetting the Dockers. They're thinking NEVER discount the Swans and the 2003 QF is the perfect example of why you shouldn't.

Like you Dawson, though, whatever happens, I'll be so proud of the team. Considering injuries, the Bloods this year have been just awesome!

Triple B
19th September 2013, 09:15 AM
One of my fondest memories of a footy performance by an individual was Barry Hall in that game. He had a blinder, took a bunch of marks and kicked 6 goals- but my favourite part was when he came up the ground late and took a bunch of ruck contests on the wing- from memory we absorbed almost 2 minutes late in the game from it.

One of the great games. We had the flair to flash and the guts to grind.
Additional standouts: LRT's goal, Goodes "kicking goals at both ends", Maxfield's desperate break through the middle, Baz's crosskick to Davo, Luke Ablett chasing the ball on all fours. What an effort!
If the boys can put in like that, who knows what we could achieve?

Another memory I'm sure everybody has would be Kirky being on the end of a Byron Pickett special. The great man lay prone for a few seconds like so many of Pickett's shirt front victims before him, before jumping to his feet, dusting himself off and putting his head straight back over the ball at the next stoppage...

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/brett-kirk-huge-bump-1-byron-pickett-video-TzvW5J_1pCM-18270-5.html

Sandridge
19th September 2013, 10:05 AM
..this team is incredible ,,they do things that others can't ..I still maintain that if any of the rest of the top 4 had as many of their stars sidelined they would have not made the top 4 ...let alone be playing prelim weekend ....I really am proud they have made it this far with everything against them...I am full of hope they can pull off what would be the greatest performance by a team in the history of the afl ..and if the cats and hawks belt each other stupid we could go into the gf with a realistic chance of back to back..whatever the result this weekend you just know our blokes will bleed for the red and white ..go swans ..

Spot. On.

Melbournehammer
19th September 2013, 10:24 AM
as someone who was there the week before when the collective groan from the swans fans when micky o tore his hamstring was loud enough to be heard in clarendon street, the performance was amazing.

i still regard the football that team played that year as the best we ever played under roosy. we played some breathtakingly fast football and the preparedness to go by hand until we got a maxfield or williams streaming onto the ball and kicking long to bazza or mick or nick was fabulous to watch. not only that but it was the only time where we seemed to have two distinct strategies. we would play defensive until a certain point and then they would pull lrt off the ground and add another runner. the richmond game at the mcg was an example of that team.

i was so depressed at anz on the night when we lost that PF because i genuinely thought that was as good a chance as we would get to win it.

imagine my suprise ten years later with two flags in the bag and another prelim to be played.

ps I still remember barry after the match against port being asked about goodsey and him saying "get on him for the brownlow."

Ajn
19th September 2013, 10:34 AM
Why is it that I think we have the upper hand, one eyed...maybe.
However the match ups suit us, we have speed and the midfield to take it too them, plus we don't get sucked in to their antics like others (yes Geelong, I'm speaking to you!)

Swansongster
19th September 2013, 10:51 AM
That Port game was so exciting to watch. 1st quarter was amazing. I remember backing the Swans at over $5.00 with the TAB that day. I'll be backing them again this week.

Here's a YouTube link to remind you of what can be achieved by the Swans when they are unwanted by pundits and punters.

One of the Sydney Swans all time great wins - 1st Qualifying Final 2003 - AFL - Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oro4_a0zYo)

i'm-uninformed2
19th September 2013, 01:41 PM
My Swans vs Port 2003 memory: Q2 . . . Leo Barry flying in front of Wanganeen to intercept a ball that led to a violent, crash-bash collision that left both sprawled on the ground . . . only for the ball to be swept up field through a chain of hands including Nicks, Tadhg, NOG, and others before C Bolton kicked to a free Cresswell who was unleashed on the outside and ran inside 50 to go BANG!

That was a seriously cracking goal and best of all, the moment you heard the entire Port crowd realise - christ, this is really happening.

SwansBloke
19th September 2013, 04:08 PM
Probably Barry Hall's best game as a Swan given the significance/stakes

MightyBloods
19th September 2013, 07:29 PM
was watching 360 last night and hearing them talk you would think that there is only one team playing in perth this weekend and after hearing the comments of that d..###### maclure saying what a boring game it would be if the swans won makes me so angry ..this team is incredible ,,they do things that others can't ..I still maintain that if any of the rest of the top 4 had as many of their stars sidelined they would have not made the top 4 ...let alone be playing prelim weekend ....I really am proud they have made it this far with everything against them...I am full of hope they can pull off what would be the greatest performance by a team in the history of the afl ..and if the cats and hawks belt each other stupid we could go into the gf with a realistic chance of back to back..whatever the result this weekend you just know our blokes will bleed for the red and white ..go swans ..

Good post.
Also, not a lot of so-called experts realise that half of the freo team have only played 1 game in a month come game day. Something that I'm sure the Swans are well aware. A good physical start to take the crowd out early make spook them. I'm sure Freo will finish hard so a good early lead similar to the Carlton game will be needed I think.

bloodsbigot
19th September 2013, 08:01 PM
One of the Sydney Swans all time great wins - 1st Qualifying Final 2003 - AFL - Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oro4_a0zYo)

This game made me almost cry back in 2003. I gave us absolutely no chance before the game.

Towards the end of the game we were running out of players, injuries mounting, etc.

Still one of my favourites (Hence why I went out of this way to make this vid). I even like it more than the 2005 Semi. I view it like a passing of the guard from our 1996 era team to our modern premiership winning team.

Typifies the spirit of what our club has become more than any other game, imo.

Rewatching this vid gives me hope before any swans game. A reminder to never ever ever ever ever give up.

SwansBloke
19th September 2013, 08:08 PM
Do you have a vid of the "NICK DAVIIIIIIS" game? I guess I should check if there's one already - can't at work though ;)

bloodsbigot
19th September 2013, 08:13 PM
Do you have a vid of the "NICK DAVIIIIIIS" game? I guess I should check if there's one already - can't at work though ;)

lol. It's funny how you can call it 'the Nick Davis game' and everyone knows what you're talking about. It's become legendary. You could put, 'do a Nick Davis' in an urban dictionary.

Not mine:
3AW call of Sydney v Geelong 2005 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsRE9bMwvd4)

This vids great for the different commentary. Recommended for anyone who has only heard Hudson's commentary.

SwansBloke
19th September 2013, 08:19 PM
Anyone with "Nick" or "Davis" in their name inspires the Huddo call from me and my friends without fail (and I'm the only Swans fan). The Jason Ball tap is often forgotten. I still can't believe we won that game when I think about it. Given Geelong's later success it made the win all the more famous too.

mcs
19th September 2013, 08:58 PM
2005 and 2012 Grand Finals aside, I believe that game was the greatest Swans win I've seen. We weren't given a snowflakes chance in hell of winning but win we did! Although acknowledging that Freo should be firm favourites to win on Saturday, the Melbourne press are beginning to warm to our chances of upsetting the Dockers. They're thinking NEVER discount the Swans and the 2003 QF is the perfect example of why you shouldn't.

Like you Dawson, though, whatever happens, I'll be so proud of the team. Considering injuries, the Bloods this year have been just awesome!

It is right up there for me too. We were absolutely fabulous that day, we really were. Hoping the boys can channel that underdog spirit again on Saturday and give Freo a real fright!

I am also, whatever happens, so proud of our team. They've done a great job this year all things considered, and really have done well. Best of all, with a fit list for 2014, we are every chance of winning the flag again (not that that is out of the question yet for 2013!)

CARN YOU BLOODS!

- - - Updated - - -

lol. It's funny how you can call it 'the Nick Davis game' and everyone knows what you're talking about. It's become legendary. You could put, 'do a Nick Davis' in an urban dictionary.

Not mine:

This vids great for the different commentary. Recommended for anyone who has only heard Hudson's commentary.

I love the quote in it about a bigger roar than if men won tatts at Broadmeadows - classic call!

- - - Updated - - -

This game made me almost cry back in 2003. I gave us absolutely no chance before the game.

Towards the end of the game we were running out of players, injuries mounting, etc.

Still one of my favourites (Hence why I went out of this way to make this vid). I even like it more than the 2005 Semi. I view it like a passing of the guard from our 1996 era team to our modern premiership winning team.

Typifies the spirit of what our club has become more than any other game, imo.

Rewatching this vid gives me hope before any swans game. A reminder to never ever ever ever ever give up.

Its so long since I've watched that footage, but watching that reminds of just how good we were that day. Some great football - not unlike some of the GF 2012 play in the way we just run and run and run. Was a great victory and I do agree that it was like a passing of the guard from the 96 era team to the Premiership team of 2005!

So pumped after watching that - carn you mighty Swannies, go against the odds and beat those Dockers on Saturday!!!!