PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel - Fox Footy Extra

Foreign Legion
28th February 2003, 05:13 PM
Well for those who can't get enough Footy, Foxtel are launching Fox Footy Extra!

Details:Launches March 23 at 7:30PM
Programming:Content will be based on AFL from ?56 and local
league games from as far back as ?92

SA and WA residents will get to see SANFL and WAFL games with dedicated club shows for the respective teams.

VIC/NSW residents:VFL will now be seen on FFE and they will always see their state?s AFL and local games. NSW and QLD can see Brisbane and Sydney games during set timeslots.

A special version of White Line Fever will be filmed and called White Line Fever Extra which will be broadcast live on FFE at 10pm (TBC).
The channel is no extra cost and I guess the bottom line is more footy and potentially being able to see VFL, and possibly ACTAFL/SFL leagues - we can only hope.

Cheers.

desredandwhite
28th February 2003, 05:23 PM
Well, I guess this is great news! On the assumption that it doesn't affect current AFL content on the main Fox Footy channel anyway.

Hopefully this gives us an opportunity to see what the rookies are up to in the ACTAFL comp. (plus syd afl games of course!)

NMWBloods
28th February 2003, 05:40 PM
Where did you see the news of this? What channel is it on?

Norris Lurker
28th February 2003, 05:50 PM
It's a good move. Fox Footy at the moment is entirely AFL-based and doesn't have anything for the lower grassroots levels of the game; so this is a very good initiative.

motorace_182
28th February 2003, 05:51 PM
Sounds ok, providing it doesnt cost anything extra after you pay for the original fox footy

Cheer Cheer
28th February 2003, 07:50 PM
It will be good to watch young emerging talent or draft hopefuls instead of most of the time just "hearing" about them and what they can do come draft time.

Foreign Legion
1st March 2003, 08:05 AM
To answer some questions:

It won't cost any more as long as you already have Fox Footy

Fox Footy Extra will be on channel 15 I think - ESPN is moving to channel 51 to replace Fashion TV (perv channel!)

You should see ads for it this weekend on Fox Footy and probably the other channels.

One thing they will do with this is show more footy of interest to the "home" State but whether NSW viewers will only get Vic stuff I don't know yet. Any S.A. or W.A. viewers will be in heaven!

Cheers

floppinab
4th March 2003, 01:50 PM
Anybody heard anything more on this.

Are they going to show all regional leagues into all states or customise it for each state (SANFL for SA, WAFL for WA, etc. etc.)??

Are they really going to show local NSW footy?? SFL or just ACTFL??

robbieando
4th March 2003, 05:44 PM
The plan is (From what I can tell)

For each state to have its own set up so WA shows WAFL matches and Eagles and Dockers matches, with Victoria and South Australia getting the same deal with their clubs and leagues. However for Qld and NSW they will take the Victorian feed with the Swans replacing the Victorian clubs at set times. So no the SFL and ACTAFL won't be shown, mainly because they are not covered by TV anyway and FOX Footy are only replaying the ABC match of the week.

floppinab
5th March 2003, 09:13 AM
I think you're right Robbie, but I have seen a few things posted suggested there will be NSW games shown.

If that was the case my guess is they may pick up ACTAFL games which are definately going to be played as curtain raisers to most Swans Sydney games and my guess is also to Kangaroos games in Canberra. Picking up coverage for those given the existing coverage in place for the main games shouldn't be too hard.
SFL left out in the cold again though unfortunately.

NMWBloods
5th March 2003, 10:11 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to watch good old AFL/VFL games, than SFL or other regional paddock football. Watching VFL now is not a lot better than wandering down to your your local oval.

Richo
6th March 2003, 10:26 AM
Nothing wrong with paddock footy - there's a lot more character there than the pros!

But really - I don't reckon the VFL are that bad at all. Not much different to watching reserves when it was still around.

NMWBloods
6th March 2003, 10:30 AM
Nothing wrong with paddock footy - there's a lot more character there than the pros!

But often lacking in skills, which is a highlight of good footy.

But really - I don't reckon the VFL are that bad at all. Not much different to watching reserves when it was still around.

I rest my case!! ;)

blinddog
6th March 2003, 10:24 PM
If in NSW and QLD they are only showing the VFL, is this not false advertising on the part of Fox Footy? They say on the ad local state footy. Maybe a case for Dept of Fair Trading;)

Bas
14th March 2003, 10:00 PM
Fox Footy Extra will be on channel 15 I think - ESPN is moving to channel 51 to replace Fashion TV (perv channel!)

Now that's tragic. Not the Fashion TV channel, why not get rid of the shopping channel instead. I'm writing to Colless!!!!

Fox Footy Extra will finally have all those ABC games and programmes that Foxtel promoted at the start of the original fox footy channel.

It would be good if they would at least televise the Swans Reserves. After all the camera's are there in place and they only need one.

Now where's that pen and paper?