PDA

View Full Version : Saddo cant play

Frosty_13
18th February 2004, 03:14 PM
He gets stiched up every time he plays on a key forward. You watch this year he will cost us games.

Snowy
18th February 2004, 03:34 PM
I have made this comment a lot as well. It sounds provocative but sadly may be true.

footyhead
18th February 2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah I recon he is one of our most overated and should have been traded by now while he still has that alure of "potential" about him
Trade bait I recon.

chammond
18th February 2004, 04:09 PM
Beauty, it's started again!

Are we having a new hate list for 2004, or are we carrying forward last year's?

Given that the previous list had both Goodes and Jude Bolton on it, I reckon that would make Saddo a certainty to poll well in the Brownlow.

I have made this comment a lot as well. It sounds provocative but sadly may be true.

That's an even better idea! Why don't we have a competition to see who can repeat himself the most times?

I reckon we'd have several potential olympic champions on this board.

Charlie
18th February 2004, 04:10 PM
Everyone - this is February. Let's at least save these sorts of conversations for the second half of the year - you know, after the season has started...

Oh, and by the way, I question whether someone who idolises Frosty McPherson has any sort of concept of who 'can' and 'can't' play.

Destructive
18th February 2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Everyone - this is February. Let's at least save these sorts of conversations for the second half of the year - you know, after the season has started...

I agree. Charlie. The season proper is still 6 weeks off yet.

gloveski
18th February 2004, 04:42 PM
If James stays fit and can take a key position then you will see the real value of Saddo until another key defender is unleashed due to Saddo size unfortunately from time to time he is going to struggle.

Having said that season proper he would not play on LLoyd anyway

dendol
18th February 2004, 04:43 PM
here hear chammond and Charlie..

and look what i found on the official swans website, from Saddo's profile:

Injuries struck for the first time in his six-season career, with quad and knee ailments sidelining him for 10 matches in 2003, including the final two home and away games and the qualifying final. Had slotted easily back into defence until damaging a knee in the famous victory over the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba in round 20. Just 24 and one of the most underrated backmen in the game.

So the Swans officials obviously still rate him (or maybe its just the webadmin for the swans site?). And I for one don't intend to write him off just yet. He had injuries last year, and this year he got beaten by a monster beast in Lloyd..

My prediction: Saddo will get All-Australian CHB this year!!!! ;)

robbieando
18th February 2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Oh, and by the way, I question whether someone who idolises Frosty McPherson has any sort of concept of who 'can' and 'can't' play.

Can only agree with that comment, however I will say I feel the Saddo isn't the answer as the number 2 defender we are crying out for, nor is Craig Bolton for that matter. However if like last season we can get away with using one of them in that role depending on the match then it shouldn't cost us too many matches as Frosty is alluding to. Still lets not make any rash calls until at least mid season.

robbieando
18th February 2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
If James stays fit and can take a key position then you will see the real value of Saddo until another key defender is unleashed due to Saddo size unfortunately from time to time he is going to struggle.

Very true, I don't think Saddo is best suited to CHB, sure he can do a decent job when needed, but I feel we'll get more out of him when he doesn't have to line up on the number 2 forward of the better sides (Tarrant, Brown etc).

Having said that season proper he would not play on LLoyd anyway

Unless of course we are hit badly by injuries down back

mocaholic
18th February 2004, 07:07 PM
[i]

My prediction: Saddo will get All-Australian CHB this year!!!! ;) [/B]
Goodness me them's fighting words. Won't say that he can't play, however will say he has probably been over-rated. Lightly built frame doesn't help (playing agst the big blokes).
Would love to see Saddo do well. As much as anybody in the club.

NMWBloods
18th February 2004, 07:27 PM
Saying Saddo "can't play" is silly as he is a pretty good footballer. He just isn't a great key defensive player. I don't think he is underrated as a backman - I think he's rated about right in defensive skills. What he is useful for is a pretty mobile tall half back flanker.

18th February 2004, 07:39 PM
Assuming all players are fit for the first round. What would be our ideal side for the game? Anyone want to give this a go? This is the silly season after all.

liz
18th February 2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Newbie
Assuming all players are fit for the first round. What would be our ideal side for the game? Anyone want to give this a go? This is the silly season after all.

Big assumption that they'll all be fit but...

FB Fixter Schauble Mathews
HB Bolton Saddington Barry
C Kennelly Bolton Maxfield
HF Davis Hall Williams
FF O'Keefe Doyle O'Loughlin
Ruck Ball Goodes Kirk

Int Crouch Fosdike Schneider, one of James / LRT

Emerg One of above, Ablett, Nicks

Positions for convenience only - most pretty fluid

penga
18th February 2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by lizz
Ruck Ball Goodes Kirk

good line up

have we seen goodesy in at the centre bounces as a rover in recent history?

id like to see this lineup:

fb: fixter schauble bolton
hb: williams saddington barry
c: kennelly bolton maxfield
hf: davis hall okeefe
ff: oloughlin doyle schneider
r: ball goodes kirk
int: crouch mathews fosdike james (backup for brown)
emg: lrt nicks ablett

crouch (or crutch ;)) goes with aker, so he'll be on the ground

18th February 2004, 09:14 PM
My try:

=======================================
Round 1:

Crouch Schauble Barry
Matthew Saddington Bolton

Fosdike Bolton Kennelly

Davis Hall Williams
Schneider Doyle O'Loughlin

Ball Maxfield Goodes

Int LRT Fixter O'Keefe Kirk

Emerg. Ablett, Sundquist, James

Back Up: Buchanan, Nicks, Warfe, Meiklejohn

Blooding: Powell, McVeigh, Malceski
Giving a taste: Dempster
====================================
After round 27

Crouch Schaubles Barry
Matthews Saddington James

Fosdike JBolton Kennelly

Williams LRT Davis
O'Keefe Hall O'Loughling

Ruck: Doyle Goodes Schneider

Int: Ball, Ablett, Maxfield, Fixter
Emerg: Powell, McVeigh, Sundquist
Back Up: C. Bolton, Meiklejohn
Blooding: Dempster, Malceski
Goner: Nick, Buchanan, Warfe

NMWBloods
18th February 2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Newbie
After round 27

Is this the match in London after we win the grand final?

;)

CureTheSane
18th February 2004, 10:42 PM
Simple.

It is a long way from the ned of the year.

If Saddo (or anyone) isn't up to scratch, they dont play in the seniors and will possibly be traded at the end of the year.
I think all players deservea good 15 rounds to prove themselves.

And that includes Nicks and Warfe.

Good luck to them all.

Charlie
18th February 2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane

Good luck to them all.

Amen. I'd love nothing more than to see Nicks and Warfe prove me wrong. Why would any of us want them to fail, considering they're on the list, for better or worse?

DST
18th February 2004, 11:05 PM
My go at round 1 (with no injuries), players with specific jobs against their names:

FB: Crouch (Aker), Schuable (Lynch), C Bolton (2nd go at Brown)

HB: Matthews, Saddington (1st go at Brown), Barry (Voss when forward)

C: Kennelly (Lappin), J Bolton , Maxfield

HF: Scheinder, Hall (Leppa), O'Keefe (defensive on Johnson)

FF: N Davis, Black Panther (Mal) , Ball (Rucks when Keating does)

R: Goodes (Charman), Kirk (Black), Williams

Int: LRT, Fixter, McVeigh (to debut), Fosdike

Emg:

James (will play if LRT does not)
Nicks (close to selection, if any of O'Keefe, Davis or Scheinder drop in form then he will be the replacement)
Powell (behind LRT and James at this stage)

This was actually a very hard exercise, chances are we won't be able to get a full side on the park in the first week but looking through the list we have some genuine players pushing for selection and a heap of young eager talent wanting to strut their stuff.

Will be interesting to look at the team for round one and see how close we got.

DST

monopoly19
18th February 2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by DST
My go at round 1 (with no injuries), players with specific jobs against their names:

C Bolton (2nd go at Brown)

I thought Brown was suspended for Round 1. Anyone know?

NMWBloods
18th February 2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
I thought Brown was suspended for Round 1. Anyone know?

Yep - he received 2 weeks for elbowing Shaw.

monopoly19
19th February 2004, 12:02 AM
My attempt -

FB: Mathews Schauble Crouch

HB: Kennelly C. Bolton Barry

C: J. Bolton Fosdike Maxfield

HF: Davis Hall Williams

FF: O'Keefe O'Loughlin Schneider

R: Ball Goodes Kirk

I: Fixter, James/Saddington (can't decide), Doyle, Ablett

robbieando
19th February 2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by monopoly19
My attempt -

FB: Mathews Schauble Crouch

HB: Kennelly C. Bolton Barry

C: J. Bolton Fosdike Maxfield

HF: Davis Hall Williams

FF: O'Keefe O'Loughlin Schneider

R: Ball Goodes Kirk

I: Fixter, James/Saddington (can't decide), Doyle, Ablett

Thats pretty much on the money except Saddo would play if it came down to him or James (no offence to anyone, but I doubt James will ever become what some expect him to be)

DST
19th February 2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Yep - he received 2 weeks for elbowing Shaw.

You know how to make a man very happy very quickly !!!!!!!!!

jixygirl
19th February 2004, 10:48 AM
From hat I've seen, most people agree that the same players should play, just where they actually play is the question. This is what I think (could change any time though):

Matthews Schauble C.Bolton

Crouch Saddington Barry

Kenelly Maxfield J.Bolton

Williams Hall Davis

O'Keefe O'loughlin Schneider

Ball Goodes Kirk

Int: Ablett, Doyle, Fixter, Fosdike

Emg: Nicks, James, LRT

sharpie
19th February 2004, 11:36 AM
I've noticed that a lot of people have LRT as an emergency. At this stage of the year, at this stage of Roos's 4 year plan, LRT will certainly be in the 22. He is the real smokey of this year, and thus will be given every opportunity possible.

Therefore, here is my top 22 again assuming a fully fit side. Positions are mostly irrelevant

FB: Saddington Schauble Mathews
HB: Crouch C.Bolton Barry
C: Kennelly J.Bolton Maxfield
HF: N.Davis Hall Williams
FF: Doyle O'Loughlin Schneider
Fol: Ball Goodes Kirk
Int: James LRT Fosdike Fixter
Em: Ablett McVeigh O'Keefe

Ryan Bomford
19th February 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
I've noticed that a lot of people have LRT as an emergency. At this stage of the year, at this stage of Roos's 4 year plan, LRT will certainly be in the 22. He is the real smokey of this year, and thus will be given every opportunity possible.

Therefore, here is my top 22 again assuming a fully fit side. Positions are mostly irrelevant

FB: Saddington Schauble Mathews
HB: Crouch C.Bolton Barry
C: Kennelly J.Bolton Maxfield
HF: N.Davis Hall Williams
FF: Doyle O'Loughlin Schneider
Fol: Ball Goodes Kirk
Int: James LRT Fosdike Fixter
Em: Ablett McVeigh O'Keefe

Couldn't agree with you more Sharps, LRT looked very fast and fit last Saturday and my tip is that he is more than likely to start rather than come off the interchange.

NMWBloods
19th February 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by DST
You know how to make a man very happy very quickly !!!!!!!!!

Most people know that, but I elect not to!! ;)

BAM_BAM
19th February 2004, 01:51 PM
FB: Saddington, Schauble, C Bolton
HB: Barry, Kennelly, Matthews
C: J Bolton, Fosdike, Maxfield
HF: Davis, Hall, O'Keefe
FF: Doyle, O'Loughlin, Schneider
R: Goodes, Kirk, Williams
Int: LRT, James, Crouch, Ball/Ablett

I have Crouch on int as he will undoubtedly pick up Aker when he's on the field and if Ball's fit he'll play. If not Ablett makes my fourth interchange player.

Ryan Bomford
19th February 2004, 02:47 PM
Reading between the lines on the injury lists and the public reports I'd say that Ball, Doyle, Mathews and possibly Kennelly are longshots for Round 1, not that you can have any confidence on 'official' releases from Swans marketing.

robbieando
19th February 2004, 02:57 PM
My side

B: Saddington Schauble Barry
HB: Mathews C.Bolton Kennelly
C: Maxfield Williams Fosdike
HF: Davis Hall Schneider
F: O'Keefe Ball O'Loughlin
R: Goodes J. Bolton Kirk
Int: Crouch LRT Ablett Doyle
Emg: Fixter Powell McVeigh

Ryan Bomford
19th February 2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Reading between the lines on the injury lists and the public reports I'd say that Ball, Doyle, Mathews and possibly Kennelly are longshots for Round 1, not that you can have any confidence on 'official' releases from Swans marketing.

Assuming my injury concerns are correct (i hope they aren't) and there are no further injuries, my starting line-up for R1 goes as follows:

B: Saddington Schauble Fixter
HB: C. Bolton Barry James
C: Maxfield Williams Crouch
HF: Davis Hall Schneider
FF: O'Keefe LRT O'Loughlin
R: Goodes J. Bolton Kirk
Int: Fosdike Ablett Powell Buchanan
Emg: McVeigh, Meiklejohn, Nicks

Benevolent Ert
19th February 2004, 03:15 PM
We should have a prize for the person who gets the team exactly the same as the one that goes up on the Thursday night before round 1

Having said that, I've noticed that the Thursday night team tended to name Hall at FF, even tho he would actually play CHF, most of these times Goodes was named at CHF

I've basically got the same 22 as Robbie, tho I have the sneaking suspicion McVeigh may be introduced come round 1, a la Schneider last year - maybe in place of Ablett in that 22

B: Mathews, Schauble, Bolton
HB: Barry, Saddington, Kennelly
C: Maxfield, J. Bolton, Williams
HF: Davis, Hall, Goodes
F: O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, Doyle
R: Ball, Kirk, Crouch
Int: Fosdike, Schneider, Lew-Rob-Tom, McVeigh
Emg: Ablett, Powell, Nicks

Mark
19th February 2004, 04:19 PM
You have to love our (hopefully fit ruck division)

Ball, Goodes, Doyle !!!

Defensively this is a nightmare for oppo coaches

Goodes; impossible to match up, too athletic for any other ruck in comp

Ball; outstanding in ruck, able to play for extended periods in the posi. When resting forward requires strong defender.

Doyle; good tap ruck, very very handy up forward.

Assuming the combo of Hall/Davis/Magic get two best defenders, leaves third best for either Ball or Doyle or their second string ruck !!

All looks very nice for Schneider he gets a no-name !!

NMWBloods
19th February 2004, 06:17 PM
I think our forward line is one of the best in the competition.

Our backline is one of the hardest working and the key issue is whether their hard work and teamwork can overcome their lack of genuine talent as far as individual defenders go. They are also one of the better rebounding back lines in the comp.

Our midfield is probably one of the weaker ones in the comp, low in clearances and centre breaks. They will be critical to our fortunes this year, both helping the backmen and supplying the forward guys. Whether they can really step up remains an important but unpredictable result.

Jeffers1984
19th February 2004, 08:48 PM
I have a very good feeling that McVeigh will be on the bench in either round 1 or 2...it's seems like the hype is all building up just like schneider prior to round 1 last year..

Therefore my team for round 1 assuming everyone is fit ...

B: Matthews Schauble Crouch
HB C Bolton Saddington L Barry
C Maxfield J Bolton Kennelly
HF Fosdike Hall Goodes
F Schneider Magic Davis
R Ball Kirk Williams

Int McVeigh LRT O'Keefe Doyle

liz
19th February 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
I have a very good feeling that McVeigh will be on the bench in either round 1 or 2...it's seems like the hype is all building up just like schneider prior to round 1 last year..

Was there any hype around Schneider, though, this time last year? He demanded a position in the opening game of the season by some very impressive form in the pre-season. McVeigh will be given every opportunity over the next few weeks to do the same but he still has to actually do it.

Fingers crossed that he does.

penga
19th February 2004, 11:51 PM
there was that bladder article re schneider, i think that was about it. theres a bit of egg on their face now! ;)

TheHood
20th February 2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by lizz
Was there any hype around Schneider, though, this time last year? He demanded a position in the opening game of the season by some very impressive form in the pre-season. McVeigh will be given every opportunity over the next few weeks to do the same but he still has to actually do it.

Fingers crossed that he does.

Too true. There was silence on this board about Adam this time last year and when the season proper started, it seemed he came from nowhere.

I think that mainly came about because we got exited from the Wizard early and then played media free practice games against the likes of Carlton.