PDA

View Full Version : Predictions fo rthe 2004 season....

CureTheSane
18th February 2004, 10:47 PM
My big one is Ablett.
He will be the Schneider of this year.

Also that Fixter will once again show us he will in the best side selected if fit.

Goodes to have an even better year, despite the wieght of the brownlow around his neck.

Essendon may have Lloyd, but we have Hall, who will beocme second to Goodes in difficulty of a match up.

Any others?

j s
18th February 2004, 10:56 PM
My prediction is that any predictions I make will most probably be wrong!

penga
18th February 2004, 11:24 PM
my prediction is that it isnt our year, next year is!

TheHood
19th February 2004, 08:01 AM
I predict Port and the Crows will start their slide south and we will rise over the top of them.

Chris Judd - Brownlow
Sydney v Collingwood in the Grannie
Dees will take the spoon

Every guess in the AFL is a long shot but hey...

jixygirl
19th February 2004, 08:17 AM
I predict that Goodes will be one of the few players that doesn't get Brownlow syndrome, other teams will fear Sydney because they now know what we can do and we'll advance to at least Preliminaries (please, please let us go two better than last year so I'm not moping around for most of the school holidays).

Hopefully Ablett, Fixter and Buchanan can have stellar years, showing fantastic future prospects for the club.

Brisbane unfortunately would still be a chance to make the grand final, and Collingwood as well. Of course, I can say Sydney in that category as well.

For the rest of the teams, it will be hard to separate them, another close ladder. Brownlow could go to anybody. If I was to bet on it, I'd just bet a dollar on the people with long odds and hope I win a mini fortune. Also think its about time the Saints get into the bottom of the top 8, or at least have a good go at it.

Note: I am not a fortune teller, so this might come back at me in the future. Of course I'm praying and praying that Sydney will make the Grand Final and if they play as good or even better than last year I think they will.

I do have a friend that is a qualified tarot card reader so I must tell her to see whats in the cards for Sydney.

SXP
19th February 2004, 08:47 AM
IMO, the Saints could be the suprise package this year. The Swans will be handled this year much harsher by other teams because they'll be weary of them. If the players can handle this new attention they could go all the way. It all depends how good are they prepared for it.
My preditiction is that they'll defenitely make the finals, but getting into the GF? I don't think it will be this year.

motorace_182
19th February 2004, 04:45 PM
The Swans will be handled this year much harsher by other teams because they'll be weary of them. If the players can handle this new attention they could go all the way.

Can we please stop this crap?? Why would we have been taken so lightly after beating both Brisbane (twice) and Collingwood in successive weeks?? Any team that did that are complete morons. It is more the way the players conduct themselves after such a massive '03

timthefish
19th February 2004, 04:53 PM
better than port. in both home and away and finals.

fosdike to be a constant streak past (not through or out of ) the pack picking up offloads from goodsy, jude and luke ablett. the boy will step up this year and run non-stop.

paul kelly will (in one last sacrificial effort) donate his arm musculature to heath james as hamstring replacements.

tim

Captain
19th February 2004, 05:21 PM
My prediction is will will finish in the top 4 with Brisbane the only real threat.

Jude will only improve, Saddo will show why the club has stuck with him and Sundqvist will win the most improved.

barry
19th February 2004, 05:34 PM
Goodes will have a quieter year, but Fixter, Doyle and Ablett will step up.

The Malhouse message will wear thin at Collingwood, and they wont make the grand final.
Similar Brisbane wont quite make it again as well.

So there will be two new grand finalists this year, and Sydney are a good chance to be one of them.

anne
19th February 2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by barry

So there will be two new grand finalists this year, and Sydney are a good chance to be one of them.
And Hawthorn are sure they will be the other!

NMWBloods
19th February 2004, 06:23 PM
I'm predicting we'll finish 6th, but many of the younger players will show good signs and hint that 2005 could be a big year.

I think a big year for LRT, Nick Davis, and Barry Hall.

I think Brisbane will make the GF again this year, but be beaten.

robbieando
19th February 2004, 06:30 PM
I can only agree with that, because there has been no reason to make me believe that we can win the premiership this season.

Charlie
19th February 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
I can only agree with that, because there has been no reason to make me believe that we can win the premiership this season.

Yet, as far as I can see, there has also been no reason to make me believe that we cannot win the premiership this season.

I guess it depends on whether you want to back your side, or beat them down at any opportunity.

It's as simple as this: last year, the Swans earnt my respect, and more importantly my faith. Now, as a result, I'm going to have faith in them.

We can win the premiership.

Damien
19th February 2004, 07:55 PM
I am finding it really hard to know where all other clubs are - so many questions - like is St.Kilda, Freo and West Coast about to become the next champion clubs?, are Bris, Port and Collingwood's window of opportunity closed??

My guess is that we are just above middle of the road...i am expecting finals, but wouldn't be suprised if we didn't, and then again, I can't say with absolute confidence why we couldn't be premiers!

I think it is going to take a fair few rounds to determine what clubs are the real contenders. Going to be tight. I think at this stage I can only rule out the Bulldogs and Carlton.

I can't wait for this year. So many possibilties. My prediction is the most competitve AFL season in history.

liz
19th February 2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Damien
I think at this stage I can only rule out the Bulldogs and Carlton.

I know it's an even year, but I can't see Melbourne doing much either. And North and Geelong could scrape into the finals but I doubt they will be genuine contenders.

Charlie
19th February 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by lizz
I know it's an even year, but I can't see Melbourne doing much either. And North and Geelong could scrape into the finals but I doubt they will be genuine contenders.

You've both forgotten the Richmond "we think Simon Fletcher is worth picking up" Tigers...

dimelb
19th February 2004, 08:48 PM
1. Swans for the top four and possibly GF.
2. The big dangers to be: Brisbane (they haven't finished yet; Lynch will drop off a bit but Brown will come up just as much), Dockers, Hawthorn and Collingwood.
3. Our big movers will be O'Keefe, Schneider and LRT.
4. We will see the centre strengthened by the new blood.

gloveski
19th February 2004, 08:58 PM
I will go out on a limb and say Hawthorn will be the big improvers and finish at least top 4.

For us as long as some more youngsters mature and take the next step I will be happy.

Charlie
19th February 2004, 08:59 PM
Hawthorn?

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

Only if they discover a hair gel with performance enhancing properties! :p

Nico
19th February 2004, 09:07 PM
Right now most clubs are saying they are fit and raring to go. No different to any other season.

The critical thing is how much each side can and will improve.

Hawthorn has what appears to be the easiest draw in AFL history. Sheedy on radio this morning said he couldn' t believe how easy Hawthorn's draw was.

Daniher reckons they have a lot of young players they are going to promote. Funny about that, given that Dees supporters were very critical of him last year for not playing developing footballers.
Almost waxed lyrical about their chances.

Of course bucket mouth Schwab says they will win the flag. Last year everytime he opened his gob they put in a shocker. But with such proven stars like Croad and Fletcher up back and the 2 hacks up front in Barker and Holland who am I to question his confidence.

Peter Rhode gets on and says the doggies are ready to fly. They pick up Rawlings and all of a sudden they are a top side. The scribes have jumped on, but how long before they jump off.

What about the crap being trotted out about the Blues. From what we hear they look like jumping from bottom to top in a single bound.

Haven't heard anything about the other interstate sides, the Tigers are very low key but with Nathan Brown and Campbell back could be the big improvers, and the Saints and Roos haven't said much.

Of course if you listen to every second person on the street they say Essendon and Collingwood are shoeins.

So what do we hear about the Swans in Melbourne. Bugger all.
Looks like we are destined to crash to depths unknown, as predicted last year.

So the answer is a pineapple, until as someone else said, round 5.

My prediction: we have so much improvement just sitting there waiting to happen. No point going through the names, but if the players have their heads screwed on right we can't help but put in a top season like 2003.

Bring 'em all on.

liz
19th February 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
You've both forgotten the Richmond "we think Simon Fletcher is worth picking up" Tigers...

Didn't forget them. I don't really rate them but of the poor teams from last year they at least do have the potential to surprise.

Nathan Brown is a quality player - overrated by some IMO - but still a very good player.

Coughlan is very good and still improving.

Campbell may still have a good season left in him.

If Ottens has a better run with injury and Stafford is motivated this combination has the potential to cause many teams big headaches.

Kane Johnson is quality. He had a good season last year but has potential to be even better.

Much as I dislike him (and also think he is overrated by some) Gaspar is a quality defender and the Tigers' defence will be better for having him back in the team.

Blumfield had a horrendous season with injury niggles last year. The jury may be out on whether he was flattered by being part of the dominant Bombers team of a few years ago but he's still fairly young and I reckon he can play a bit.

I suspect the Tigers lack depth but if they have a good run with injuries they are certainly capable of making the finals, and maybe even top 4. I certainly won't be putting any money on them for the premiership though!

j s
19th February 2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
I predict Port and the Crows will start their slide south and we will rise over the top of them.

We did that LAST year!!!