PDA

View Full Version : ****e Mike's article

Reggi
1st March 2003, 10:32 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6053550-23211,00.html

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 11:13 AM
A realistic appraisal of what is happening. Des did I do wrong - are the lads going to ask to get me kicked off the board for that one?:rolleyes:

Ajn
1st March 2003, 12:02 PM
Off the board....huh?

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 12:11 PM
Looks like it - they despise me because I have a few words (or more) about 2 Swans identities - it doesnt pay to disagree. I am not allowed to mention their holy names until the end of the season.

I am continually getting warnings that I have gone too far and then some.

I have been effectively gagged by Des and CTS for holding what they see as views contrary to the majority views and the clubs. My parents did not succeed by tehm listening to yes men all their lives - criticsim refines.

desredandwhite
1st March 2003, 12:14 PM
LondonSwan has appeared to have decided that the sarcastic approach is the way to go. Truly taking the piss now - he knows that there's nothing wrong with what he posted, yet mockingly asks if it's okay. Whatever pleases him, I guess.

ANYWAY. Sheahan's article isn't 100 miles from the truth. We DO lack real match-winners. Our worst is very, very bad indeed. The article does err on the side of pessimism though. On POTENTIAL, some of the middle-tier players in our side can be very useful indeed. He's right, some of them NEED to deliver on the promise they have been showing for years - Micky O in particular.

Realistically you'd pick us to finish 10-12 - though IMHO the player group has the talent to scrape into the 8 if things go our way.

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 12:17 PM
No Des I cant go any other way and you know it - its clever of you but doesnt do you any credit.

You have gagged me and I am unable to say anything even if it is the truth about the 2 people concerned.

Anyway heres a shock for you DRW I think they can finish in the top 8 or 9 at worst.

Cheer Cheer
1st March 2003, 01:54 PM
I found it to be a reasonable article

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 02:46 PM
balanced article - didnt hide the warts though.

robbieando
1st March 2003, 04:14 PM
It was crap, he seemed to think that we should of won on the weekend because Brisbane had a few stars out. I think he forgot we had 9 of our best 22 out and the really meant we were going to lose. But anyway the rest of the article seemed OK, but still it read like he hasn't watched much of the Swans last season.

I expect 9-12 at least, and hope for top 8. LS I agree we should be aiming for the finals but being a Swans fan over the last 16 seasons has shown never build yourself up for the fall that will come. Your just better off understating the team and if all goes to plan I get proven wrong and I'll be happy to be, cos it means where in the finals

Steve
1st March 2003, 04:55 PM
The lack of match-winners at this point in time is an obvious call to make. It all depends on your perspective - Collingwood made a GF with maybe 2 and were lauded for their "evenness". Realistically how many Magpies would Brisbane even want on their entire list?

It's the same Sheahan who confidently predicted during the week that the Bulldogs would make the finals with a spine including the likes of Kretiuk, Bandy and Wiggins.

It seems as though he's written the article assuming that expectations are as high as they were within the club b/w 1997 and 2001, eg. trying to explain to us ignoramuses that "it's going to take time for the youngsters to make their mark" - now that is insight.

Sheahan's only the second person to have compared the Swans to Brisbane - Roos was the first and conceded that we were 15% behind them across the board. I don't think anyone went into last Saturday night thinking that we'd show them up in many areas - that's just the stage our list is currently at.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the media and general public to relinquish their past perceptions of Sydney, which are rapidly becoming outdated. You'd imagine, despite nominating in recent times abysmal sides such as St Kilda and Fremantle as 'young and exciting', people will be far less willing to accept Sydney as so for a long time.

Xie Shan
1st March 2003, 08:35 PM
You'd imagine, despite nominating in recent times abysmal sides such as St Kilda and Fremantle as 'young and exciting', people will be far less willing to accept Sydney as so for a long time.

I think that's a very interesting point - I've only followed the Swans for 3-4 seasons and I've noticed that they've been seen as a defensive team (part of Eade era?), and far from young - didn't we have one of the oldest lists in the afl in 2001? Now it's the opposite, with the team starting to be more attacking under Roosy last year.

Sure, the Swans aren't going to look good next to Brisbane - what's our losing streak against them now?

It's nice to be written off though - even if we do lack matchwinners, we could still catch a few teams by surprise next year!
;)

NMWBloods
1st March 2003, 09:02 PM
I can't see what the problem is. I think most of what he wrote is quite reasonable and accurate.

EMJ
2nd March 2003, 11:12 AM
I am hoping Roos is playing cat and mouse with these practice games. I hope we do better once the real stuff begins. What we need though is some of those injured players getting up and on the field.

Will Ball ever get there? If not and really has a problem after 18 months why is he still with us?

Can't wait for 29 March - hope the team is 100% better than yesterday - I do see reason why Roos wouldn't want to play the way they intend to play on 29 March against Carlton.

LondonSwan
2nd March 2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
LS I agree we should be aiming for the finals but being a Swans fan over the last 16 seasons has shown never build yourself up for the fall that will come. Your just better off understating the team and if all goes to plan I get proven wrong and I'll be happy to be, cos it means where in the finals

Robbie enjoy the wins and there will be hopefully more than a few - Also often a couple of losses (in Soccer) can push players to greater heights because they get a hiding from their supporters.

Mark told me a few years back the Eagles were getting beaten by teams they should have thumped. Someone came out in the West and called them a bunch of girls more interested in their appearance and they turned feral and won the following week. Reverse Psychology often does it.

Rizzo
3rd March 2003, 11:23 AM
Roosy seems to agree with the assessment -

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=76513

omnipotent
4th March 2003, 01:03 AM
I think it's a realistic assessment so maybe those officials who said we have the worst list were close to the mark. CS is not rated as an official either, they regard him as a laughing stock.

Bart
4th March 2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by omnipotent
I think it's a realistic assessment so maybe those officials who said we have the worst list were close to the mark. CS is not rated as an official either, they regard him as a laughing stock.

Who is CS ? and who regards him as a laughing stock ?