PDA

View Full Version : Poor form by so called fans

TheAgent
15th April 2014, 06:37 PM
Rang the club yesterday to find out when training was, after the lady kindly told me I said "I hope you haven't copped too much abuse today from callers" her reply was " unfortunately I have". Now I know we are all disappointed but how does abusing a receptionist over the phone help anyone? Seriously some people.....

Matt79
15th April 2014, 06:49 PM
Although totally unacceptable, when someone has a complaint it is the first person they speak with that usually cops it. I.E if the burger is cold, the server at the front counter gets yelled out etc etc. There are better ways to vent frustration!

satchmopugdog
15th April 2014, 06:58 PM
Just like the poor office staff at schools have to cope with the drug-addled looking for a fight parents. An unenviable job.

CJK
15th April 2014, 07:17 PM
Just like the poor office staff at schools have told cope with the drug-addled looking for a fight parents. An unenviable job.

Do you happen to work in a school? Office staff perhaps?

Just a wild guess?

Big Al
15th April 2014, 07:24 PM
Disgusting.

I've had my two cents worth over membership issues (always respectful mind) but would never ring about the footy team. Venting is what these forums are for.

mcs
15th April 2014, 07:27 PM
Wow, that is utterly ridiculous :frown

They should set up an option on the phone that goes straight to an answering machine - 'if you are ringing to vent about the team's performance, please press 5'!

Triple B
15th April 2014, 07:32 PM
There's no mention of what the receptionist was abused for. I doubt very much peeps are abusing her for the footy, I bet it's all over the seating arrangements in the new stand.
Not saying it's not unacceptable, but that's what my money is on.

jono2707
15th April 2014, 07:48 PM
Maybe a few of the players should man the phones for a few days.....

Wardy
15th April 2014, 08:40 PM
Although totally unacceptable, when someone has a complaint it is the first person they speak with that usually cops it. I.E if the burger is cold, the server at the front counter gets yelled out etc etc. There are better ways to vent frustration! oh yes I have to deal with revolting uneducated people like that everyday - and I have no comeback - part of me wants to give them a serve - but then why should I lower myself to those pathetic levels? (But then I do sometimes have great success in court and their story comes unstuck - that my friends is Karma!) however the poor people at the club who are just doing their job the abuse they cop is poor form indeed - it's not their fault, they aren't the people out on the field. Why people get so abusive is not going to help the situation, be nice and 99% of the time you'll get a nice response- go in all guns blazing and be abusive and you will be put to the bottom of the pile - that's a promise - so to all who were considering ringing the club for a whinge - stop, breathe, think and consider how you would like to be spoken too. You want respect? Then give it in return. (Matt 79 you don't know how close to describing my job you are!!!)

bloodsbigot
15th April 2014, 08:55 PM
Maybe a few of the players should man the phones for a few days.....

Haha. That's such a good idea.

Melbourne_Blood
15th April 2014, 09:05 PM
There's no mention of what the receptionist was abused for. I doubt very much peeps are abusing her for the footy, I bet it's all over the seating arrangements in the new stand.

That makes more sense ( though still not on). I can't imagine supporters of any club, let alone ours, ringing up to abuse the admin staff because the team is playing @@@@. It's moronic.

ScottH
15th April 2014, 09:32 PM
You only have to read the tripe on FB and twitter to realise some of our fans have not evolved very far past collingwood fans.

Matt79
15th April 2014, 10:35 PM
oh yes I have to deal with revolting uneducated people like that everyday - and I have no comeback - part of me wants to give them a serve - but then why should I lower myself to those pathetic levels? (But then I do sometimes have great success in court and their story comes unstuck - that my friends is Karma!) however the poor people at the club who are just doing their job the abuse they cop is poor form indeed - it's not their fault, they aren't the people out on the field. Why people get so abusive is not going to help the situation, be nice and 99% of the time you'll get a nice response- go in all guns blazing and be abusive and you will be put to the bottom of the pile - that's a promise - so to all who were considering ringing the club for a whinge - stop, breathe, think and consider how you would like to be spoken too. You want respect? Then give it in return. (Matt 79 you don't know how close to describing my job you are!!!)

Haha, friends of RWO, beware if you ring to vent...it may be Wardy on the other end!! :)

TheAgent
15th April 2014, 11:43 PM

She specifically said she had 'been abused about the performance on the weekend' which reminded me of when I rang once in 2005 (about round 10) to ask when training was and I was asked 'so would you like to complain about how badly we are playing? I say that because all I have had is abuse for the last 3 hours from callers'
That is why I asked the lady yesterday the question.

Xie Shan
16th April 2014, 12:08 AM
oh yes I have to deal with revolting uneducated people like that everyday - and I have no comeback - part of me wants to give them a serve - but then why should I lower myself to those pathetic levels? (But then I do sometimes have great success in court and their story comes unstuck - that my friends is Karma!) however the poor people at the club who are just doing their job the abuse they cop is poor form indeed - it's not their fault, they aren't the people out on the field. Why people get so abusive is not going to help the situation, be nice and 99% of the time you'll get a nice response- go in all guns blazing and be abusive and you will be put to the bottom of the pile - that's a promise - so to all who were considering ringing the club for a whinge - stop, breathe, think and consider how you would like to be spoken too. You want respect? Then give it in return. (Matt 79 you don't know how close to describing my job you are!!!)

Sorry for derailing the thread but by the way Wardy the other day I caught up with one of your old friends from the south of Sydney who used to post here many moons ago and is back from one of their overseas sojourns, and was sighted in the MA Noble bar on Sunday ;)

ScottH
16th April 2014, 08:36 AM
I wonder if these "fans" were around in the dark days of the early 90's???

stellation
16th April 2014, 10:00 AM
I must admit that it has never even occurred to me that people may ring the club just to complain about poor performance.

aardvark
16th April 2014, 10:40 AM
I must admit that it has never even occurred to me that people may ring the club just to complain about poor performance.

Usually you see a doctor, I don't see how ringing the club would help!:redface:

jono2707
16th April 2014, 11:37 AM
Actually they probably are 'real fans', whatever that means. Casual fans say "oh that's sad - we lost. What's for dinner" and move on with their lives. Rabid dyed in the wool long term fans will be feeling the pain at the moment as we watch this team serving up stuff we haven't expected to see. Some fans are angry and although its stupid, some will want to take it out on staff at the club for whatever reason. I don't think these are Johnny-come-lately fans.

Triple B
16th April 2014, 11:40 AM

Me either, which is why I assumed it was about the new seating allocations. That's mind boggling.

CJK
16th April 2014, 03:06 PM
I can call the club to complain in person?

Thanks for letting me know OP.

ScottH
16th April 2014, 03:57 PM
I can call the club to complain in person?

Thanks for letting me know OP.

Maybe we can send around a truck of manure and dump it on their office steps.
I bet that has never been done before.

wolftone57
16th April 2014, 04:05 PM
Venting on the receptionist is silly. Get the players & coaches on twitter and give them a serve LOL!

CJK
16th April 2014, 05:21 PM
Maybe we can dump on their office steps.

Bit much, but OK, sure, why not?

Will eat some fiber and head over.

goods78
16th April 2014, 05:46 PM
My Dad (another long term member) sent a very angry email or letter years ago to the Swan's office.

Soon after, Myles Byron-Haygave him a call and explained what was going on with the team, club - going through his letter point by point.

I could not believe it, but it shows that the management does listen!

ScottH
16th April 2014, 05:58 PM
Bit much, but OK, sure, why not?

Will eat some fiber and head over.

:clap:

Matt80
17th April 2014, 07:37 AM
My Dad (another long term member) sent a very angry email or letter years ago to the Swan's office.

Soon after, Myles Byron-Haygave him a call and explained what was going on with the team, club - going through his letter point by point.

I could not believe it, but it shows that the management does listen!

That's a wonderful insight Goods78! Can you imagine Andrew Ireland calling every irate fan.

Can any fan confirm receiving a call from Andrew Ireland? Did the CEO work through your concerns point by point as Myles did? I'm sure Ireland would need to make more calls than a telemarketer this week!

ShockOfHair
18th April 2014, 07:43 PM

There's a great scene in the Tim Parks book about Verona FC where the fans stage a demonstration over the team's crap performance. The situation is crying out for us to march down Anzac Pde with signs saying 'More contested ball' and 'Keep your structure!'

Doctor
18th April 2014, 10:53 PM
Friends and I used to joke that after poor performances that the players should give you a call or just drop in and offer to do some work around the house for you. "Hi. This is Dale Lewis from the Swans here. I just wanted to say sorry for how we played on the weekend. To make it up to you I want to rake your leaves for you and trim the edges."

Wardy
19th April 2014, 06:17 AM
Haha, friends of RWO, beware if you ring to vent...it may be Wardy on the other end!! :) oh yeah - and I'm menopausal - it just adds to the fun!!! ;-)

ScottH
19th April 2014, 12:59 PM
Well I guess if Ted or Reg let any more goals through, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/colombias-owngoal-star-shot-dead-1418013.html

swanwolf
19th April 2014, 01:32 PM
Some people are strange and not in a good way. Once sat beside an old guy who kept calling Swan's players during the game with coaching advice. Got so furious his instructions weren't being adhered to, he smashed his phone to pieces! Think he supports the Pies now.

jenky28
21st April 2014, 02:56 PM
Mayb the players should ring peples homes and abuse them right back for not giving them a break. Esp the ones who are constantly bagged. Derrickx, reg, shaw, rok or who ever it is that week. They are the main this season. That my stop this problem

RANT OVER

goods78
21st April 2014, 05:45 PM
Mayb the players should ring peples homes and abuse them right back for not giving them a break. Esp the ones who are constantly bagged. Derrickx, reg, shaw, rok or who ever it is that week. They are the main this season. That my stop this problem

RANT OVER

I think some are a bit harsh on Reg.
Derrickx does not currently have the ability for AFL standard. The coaches are at fault for picking him.
Shaw provided good energy and run, but still cannot hit a target. This game bought him a life.
ROK. I would be happy to take a call from ROK and try and talk him into retirement and go out in a dignified manner. I am guessing that the coaches have had a similar talk to him and he does not want a bar of it.

stellation
21st April 2014, 06:39 PM
Some people are strange and not in a good way. Once sat beside an old guy who kept calling Swan's players during the game with coaching advice. Got so furious his instructions weren't being adhered to, he smashed his phone to pieces! Think he supports the Pies now.
I'd love to think that if you call the SCG switchboard there's actually extensions you can get put through to for the phones in the coaching boxes and interchange benches! :D

Matt80
21st April 2014, 06:46 PM
I think some are a bit harsh on Reg.
Derrickx does not currently have the ability for AFL standard. The coaches are at fault for picking him.
Shaw provided good energy and run, but still cannot hit a target. This game bought him a life.
ROK. I would be happy to take a call from ROK and try and talk him into retirement and go out in a dignified manner. I am guessing that the coaches have had a similar talk to him and he does not want a bar of it.

Goods78, I think ROK will live by the same mantra this year as former Prime Ministers John Howard and Julia Gillard:

"To the bitter end"

People like ROK, Gillard and Howard are built with tremendous self confidence and belief, and have an ability to isolate themselves from criticism from the general public.

ROK will keep turning up, keep being professional, keep training hard and he will believe that he is one opportunity away from getting back.

The problem with this approach is that he can't see the way the tide is going and can cause long term resentment between he and the Swans coaching staff!

swanwolf
22nd April 2014, 10:30 AM
I'd love to think that if you call the SCG switchboard there's actually extensions you can get put through to for the phones in the coaching boxes and interchange benches! :D
Better yet, with a phone linked microspeaker built into their mouthguards, we could bypass the middlemen and get in player's heads almost literally! :listening_headphone

Sent from iBiza using Tapastalk

Primmy
22nd April 2014, 05:23 PM
I wonder if Doom & Gloom call the Swans. Miserable people to sit in front of.
then again I had a coach in waiting sitting behind me on Saturday, who I had to politely request to "give it a rest". He did.
I naturally give all sorts of encouragement and instructions to the boys from afar, some of which they actually adhere to. I get so chuffed they can read my mind. But it would never occur to me that a membership person or switchboard operator would be coaching the boys. Amazing how people 'think' isn't it.