PDA

View Full Version : Please no repeat of last year

veramex
23rd May 2014, 06:14 PM
Last year, the swans were absolutely dominant against Adelaide, and that was before tippet joined in. It was one of the best games I had seen in terms of cleanness of inside skills and then ability to get the ball out. Then the bye came, injuries came, and we never fully recovered.

We have been in some great form over the last few weeks, and definitely have a stronger team compared to last year (with general improvement with our younger players and some handy additions).

I just hope we can continue where we left off and have a good couple of weeks. With Geelong, port Adelaide and Gold Coast coming up it will be a truly testing period.

Melbourne_Blood
23rd May 2014, 06:47 PM
"Take my van halen t-shirt off before you jinx the band and they break up "

Mel_C
23rd May 2014, 06:50 PM
We seem to struggle first game after the bye so hopefully it changes this year!!

DK_
23rd May 2014, 10:15 PM
We seem to struggle first game after the bye so hopefully it changes this year!!

They seem to be very aware of the problem though, so I'm quietly confident.

CureTheSane
24th May 2014, 11:08 AM
"Take my van halen t-shirt off before you jinx the band and they break up "

haha, I love that line. watched the Wedding singer the other night
Doesn't hold up though as the band got 100% better after DLR left :)

Jewels
24th May 2014, 02:26 PM

I dunno, I always had a thing for Diamond Dave!

Back on topic, I had the very same thought and it worries the crap out of me, we have such an appalling record after the bye (she says without checking the facts). But seeing as we really only started actually playing five weeks ago, I am hoping that they keep the intencity going and don't all give themselves an extended holiday!

aguy
24th May 2014, 02:48 PM

Agreed. I saw van halen last year with dlr. he was terrible out of time and out of tune. Best part was eddies 7 minute guitar solo.

CureTheSane
24th May 2014, 05:55 PM
Dave was always more of a showman than a singer. One of the best ever.
Sammy had the voice and the songs.
Then he had tequila, then he had more money than he could have dreamed of in VH

sharp9
25th May 2014, 09:08 AM
Could someone check....but I'm pretty sure we have NEVER won after a bye...even this year the split round we went from bad to appalling.

ugg
25th May 2014, 09:24 AM
Could someone check....but I'm pretty sure we have NEVER won after a bye...even this year the split round we went from bad to appalling.
Geelong 2012. Everitt winning goal. Good omen.

sharp9
25th May 2014, 09:47 AM
Ah...just the one then - out of 15 or so :-)

Unless you count the 2006 prelim....and the 2012 prelim, come to think about it.

ugg
25th May 2014, 10:05 AM
Ah...just the one then - out of 15 or so :-)

Unless you count the 2006 prelim....and the 2012 prelim, come to think about it.
Most of them have been against Collingwood. Was it the bye or the fact we played Collingwood that was the most influential factor in those games?

Doctor
25th May 2014, 12:39 PM
Very different this year. Our injury list is improving rather than getting worse.

ugg
25th May 2014, 09:47 PM
So our next 3 games will be against the 2nd, 1st and 3rd ranked teams on the ladder. Should be straightforward as a Travis Cloke set shot.

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2014, 10:40 PM
We should be good enough to beat the suns, even though they are playing good footy, albeit not against great sides. The cats I think we can beat to, but we need to play like we have been the past two weeks. Fierce. Port is an interesting one. Obviously they are playing some amazing football, with lots of talent and are super fit. Will be a real test for us , I'm excited to see how we fare against the stand out team of the year so far.

swanwolf
29th May 2014, 07:18 PM
The bye poses an interesting dilemma for our team. In 2012 an intraclub match served us well leading to a hard fought victory over the Cats. Last year, a more intense intra left us with heavy legs on a wet track in our shock loss to Port. Conversely, Geelong went on holiday for their bye in 2013 then returned to a humiliating defeat against the Lions.

I trust our conditioning staff have found the right balance this time. We'll soon know.

Mel_C
30th May 2014, 12:34 AM
And I was worried how we would perform after the bye ????.

mcs
30th May 2014, 11:07 AM
And I was worried how we would perform after the bye ????.

I just would like a repeat of 2012 thank you very much!

ScottH
30th May 2014, 01:35 PM
I just would like a repeat of 2012 thank you very much!

Touche!!