PDA

View Full Version : Ball is back!

sharp9
3rd March 2004, 05:13 PM
The thing to note here is that Roosy is clearly planning to play James in Rd 1. Presumably at CHB. Mmmmm....now where's that team selection thread?

Ball ready to roll
4:36:45 PM Wed 3 March, 2004
Karen Collins
Sportal

Sydney?s number one ruckman, Jason Ball will return to football in the Wizard Regional Challenge against the Kangaroos at Optus Oval on Friday afternoon after recovering from shoulder surgery.

Ball dislocated his right shoulder and also ruptured the rotator cuff in round 17 against Fremantle last year after a dominant season where he formed an important combination with Adam Goodes.

The 31 year-old started full training in January and coach Paul Roos believes he is ready to play.

?He will probably only play ten minutes a quarter, but it?s good,? Roos said prior to Wednesday?s training session.

?He has been doing competitive work for a couple weeks and he has trained a lot over November, December, January, so his fitness will be fine.?

Roos is anxiously awaiting the return of Stephen Doyle who is one or two weeks away after a knee injury.

?We would also want ?Doyley? to return. We would like three (ruckman) because ?Goodesy? is certainly a Brownlow Medalist, but we would like to play him in other areas as well and not just the ruck.

?Bally and Goodesy really complimented each other last year. They are a different style of ruckman and I think if you would throw in Doyley it allows us to have a tall marking forward as well.?

Roos will also welcome back three other senior players this weekend as the preliminary finalists prepare to take on the Brisbane Lions in round one of the home-and-away season.

?We will (also) have (Ryan) O?Keefe, (Andrew) Schauble and ?Jamesy? (Heath James) coming back. We are slowly resembling the team that will hopefully represent round one.

?I think most guys are pretty well on track. We would like to get three games, not necessarily three full games, but certainly three games and most of the guys are on track for that.

?We won?t play Goodesy this week as he is due for a bit of a spell (given) he has just about played three full games. His second half last week was just outstanding and it is good to see players in touch.?

?All the juggling and massaging is working at the moment.?

Charlie
3rd March 2004, 07:53 PM
"Bally", "Goodesy" and "Doyley". With "Jamesy" and "Hally" doing some ruckingy around the groundy, and Roberts-Thomsony, Meiklejohny and Ericksony as back-up, we are lookingy pretty goody in the rucky.

floppinab
3rd March 2004, 08:07 PM
eh........y!

NMWBloods
3rd March 2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
The thing to note here is that Roosy is clearly planning to play James in Rd 1. Presumably at CHB.

Why? I would expect James to play if he is fit, but why CHB? Why not off the bench?

TheHood
3rd March 2004, 08:36 PM
As a bazaar aside, did anyone else notice when KB was calling the Carlton Wizard game that he was calling LRT "Robert Lewis-Thomson"?

I usually love KB's call but I reckon he might be hitting Lou Richards territory so far as age and errors.

I still love his mannerisms, "Hammers It home", "great kick, GREAT KICK".

EMJ
3rd March 2004, 08:49 PM
Having Ball back is a great feat and hope he keeps playing and also encourages the younger ones. He seems keen.
Thanks for the information.

sharp9
4th March 2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Why? I would expect James to play if he is fit, but why CHB? Why not off the bench?

I ask myself, "what's a better line-up, Bolton at CHB and Saddington in the pocket, or James a at CHB and Bolton in the pocket?" James has more strength then Saddo IMO and would prefer to see him (or Rogers) on Tredrea/Tarrant/Carey/Riewoldt/Fevola and all those other names that make me sick.

NMWBloods
4th March 2004, 09:26 AM
That's what you would like to happen. However, doesn't mean Roos will do the same thing.

chammond
4th March 2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
As a bazaar aside, did anyone else notice when KB was calling the Carlton Wizard game that he was calling LRT "Robert Lewis-Thomson"?

I usually love KB's call but I reckon he might be hitting Lou Richards territory so far as age and errors.

I still love his mannerisms, "Hammers It home", "great kick, GREAT KICK".

KB is still one of my favourites, if for no other reason than that he actually knows the rules of the game!

Cometti is the best caller overall I think, but his knowledge of the rules is woeful, and makes me cringe sometimes.

sharpie
4th March 2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by sharp9
I ask myself, "what's a better line-up, Bolton at CHB and Saddington in the pocket, or James a at CHB and Bolton in the pocket?" James has more strength then Saddo IMO and would prefer to see him (or Rogers) on Tredrea/Tarrant/Carey/Riewoldt/Fevola and all those other names that make me sick.

But James has never played a game, perhaps not even a minute in the senior side at CHB. With very limited match time before round 1, I doubt he'd be tried there too soon. Also with his injury record, I think Roos will continue to ease him into games to get his confidence up. He has played a lot recently around half forward.

NMWBloods
4th March 2004, 11:03 AM
Yep - that's what I expect will happen too.

barry
4th March 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
But James has never played a game, perhaps not even a minute in the senior side at CHB. With very limited match time before round 1, I doubt he'd be tried there too soon. Also with his injury record, I think Roos will continue to ease him into games to get his confidence up. He has played a lot recently around half forward.

I hope James moves to CHB. It is an easier position to play than the forward line, and is more straight running so less injury prone.
At worst he can just follow the CHF around 'tagging' style.

I dont think Brown or Leppetich are playing in round 1, so he's going to get the 2nd stringer (Bradshaw), so wont be as big a challange.

Cheer Cheer
4th March 2004, 01:27 PM
No disrespect intended on our players - but I think Bradshaw would still be favourite to win the contest against most of our players - He is very under rated IMO and has kincked bags of goals on many occasions - kicking arounds fifty goals a couple of years ago - playing back of late has restricted his goal kicking ofcourse - but I actually fear bradshaw playing up forward more than lynch.
He has bulked up considerably this year again and is massive.
Beware of Bradshaw - I dare say it he may be the link in round 1 for win or lose depending if he is on song or not.

sharpie
4th March 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by barry
I hope James moves to CHB. It is an easier position to play than the forward line, and is more straight running so less injury prone.
At worst he can just follow the CHF around 'tagging' style.

I dont think Brown or Leppetich are playing in round 1, so he's going to get the 2nd stringer (Bradshaw), so wont be as big a challange.

I also hope James makes it as a CHB or FB, but at this stage he is not ready. He must get more games under his belt and build his confidence