PDA

View Full Version : Crowd prediction fr Port game

Gezball
11th June 2014, 03:17 AM
I'm going with 36,435.

I hope I'm wrong and it's bigger.

There aren't many Port fans in Sydney though so we can't rely on many away fans.

Geelong fans would have added a good chunk to the attendance of our last home game.

Mug Punter
11th June 2014, 08:22 AM
I'd be expecting over 40,000 and disappointed if it isn't.

Reggi
11th June 2014, 08:30 AM
Other than GWS Port have the worst crowd pulling power in the AFL so I think 35,000 would be a really big crowd

Pretty much they are the least interesting club out there

I hate watching them play

YvonneH
11th June 2014, 09:08 AM
Other than GWS Port have the worst crowd pulling power in the AFL so I think 35,000 would be a really big crowd

I am the opposite and have loved watching Port play the last 2 years (but just not against us)

CJK
11th June 2014, 09:15 AM
Guest passes for Red Zone sold out so that's a good sign.

I'm going with 40K

Norris Lurker
11th June 2014, 11:48 AM
Weather forecast isn't good. 30k max.

Gezball
11th June 2014, 01:13 PM
weather forecast for Sat:

Saturday 14 June
Min 10 Max 17 - Shower or two increasing.
Cloudy. Isolated showers, increasing to areas of rain during the afternoon. Light winds becoming southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the evening.

Not terrible but could definitely be better..

Melbourne_Blood
11th June 2014, 01:54 PM

Probably the best team to watch at the moment,What Port have you been watching ? Saw them in the flesh at AO on Saturday , they are electric and Wingard is the probably the most exciting player in the AFl at the minute.

aardvark
11th June 2014, 02:58 PM
Hmm.....29,867

Doctor
11th June 2014, 03:11 PM
Entirely dependent on the weather at this stage. Let's hope the forecast is wrong.

ernie koala
11th June 2014, 04:13 PM
Agree with the good Doctor....Weather is the key.

If it rains.......26,348

If it's dry......35,239

BobLog
11th June 2014, 04:30 PM
I'm optimistic about this one. 38,000

stellation
11th June 2014, 04:46 PM
The weather forecast would need to change tomorrow/early Friday for us to get much over 35k on a sunny day.

ernie koala
11th June 2014, 06:12 PM
Latest weather forecast is looking a little more promising....

Sydney area : Saturday
Cloudy. Chance of a little rain during the late afternoon and evening. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 20 km/h in the late evening.

But I don't have a lot of faith in BOM,we'll see.

Jewels
11th June 2014, 08:20 PM

Port pre 2013 maybe but this Port team are sensational and I wish they were going to be in Melbourne next week as I would love to see them live in a game where I could just enjoy it and not spend the game with my heart in my mouth like I will be this week!
I reckon Port is every bodies second team these days.

jono2707
11th June 2014, 08:33 PM

They've taken that mantle from us :)

38,000 if dry
33,000 if a bit damp/dodgy looking
28,000 if real wet

Meg
11th June 2014, 08:39 PM

Yes they are mine. Exciting, attacking play by a largely young group of super fit players. And they have really got up the nose of those nasty Crows supporters. What's not to like?

Ludwig
11th June 2014, 09:21 PM
Love Chad Wingard. Talked his way out of being drafted by GWS. How smart was that?

Swansinger
11th June 2014, 09:38 PM
I just pulled that out of my.....well , the same place as I pull most of my football predictions:D

Faunac8
11th June 2014, 10:18 PM

Actually they are ahead of us in average attendances this year and while the redeveloped Adelaide Oval has contributed to this there can be no denying that they are playing an exciting brand of football this year.

AFL Crowds and Match Attendances (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Oh and surely we should nudge 41,000 for this game would love to be able to attend it will be a cracker

barry
11th June 2014, 11:40 PM
Its at the SCG, so id say around 29,000

churry
12th June 2014, 12:11 AM
I think it's almost sold out, it will have a bigger crowd than the anz games so far this year bazza. Hopefully the weather is good and it's 40k plus.

Gezball
12th June 2014, 12:51 AM
I think it's almost sold out, it will have a bigger crowd than the anz games so far this year bazza. Hopefully the weather is good and it's 40k plus.

40+ would be huge.. fingers crossed the weather holds up ok. I think a lot depends on how the weather looks when people get up and have their breakfast. It looks like the coldest day of the week which is a shame..

ShockOfHair
12th June 2014, 01:37 AM
If the Power's home ground is now the Portress, what do we call the SCG? The Cygnetory?

Pmcc2911
12th June 2014, 03:45 PM
Actually they are ahead of us in average attendances this year and while the redeveloped Adelaide Oval has contributed to this there can be no denying that they are playing an exciting brand of football this year.

AFL Crowds and Match Attendances (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Oh and surely we should nudge 41,000 for this game would love to be able to attend it will be a cracker
It is interesting looking at the change in crowd figures over the years.
2010 Avg - Port 24200 - Swans 30500
2014 YTD avg - Port 32600 - Swans 29500

Gezball
12th June 2014, 04:19 PM
and for just home games (excluding finals):

Sydney Swans 30,675
Port Adelaide Power 23,044

2014 so far..
Sydney Swans 31,018
Port Adelaide Power 44,579

dimelb
12th June 2014, 04:25 PM
If the Power's home ground is now the Portress, what do we call the SCG? The Cygnetory?

Or perhaps the SCareGround?

ernie koala
12th June 2014, 04:46 PM
Its at the SCG, so id say around 29,000

And that will be 29,000 very happy campers, enjoying the wonderful, unsurpassed, viewing and atmosphere that only the SCG can give.

Matimbo
12th June 2014, 05:36 PM
I just pulled that out of my.....well , the same place as I pull most of my football predictions:D

I pull my predictions out of my Automated Random Statistics Engine. Its telling me 34,880.

Zlatorog
12th June 2014, 05:57 PM
I pull my predictions out of my Automated Random Statistics Engine. Its telling me 34,880.
:rofl

barry
12th June 2014, 06:14 PM
And that will be 29,000 very happy campers, enjoying the wonderful, unsurpassed, viewing and atmosphere that only the SCG can give.
Deserves 35k

jono2707
12th June 2014, 06:38 PM
Deserves 35k

Deserves more than that but we'll see what the weather does. If the weather stays fine we'll nudge 40k hopefully.

goods78
12th June 2014, 07:32 PM
I use to work for a major sporting venue......I'm quite sure the marketing team has decided on a number already!

barry
12th June 2014, 08:36 PM
Deserves more than that but we'll see what the weather does. If the weather stays fine we'll nudge 40k hopefully.

40k is very very optomistic given the history of SCG crowds. Maybe if Collingwood were top of the ladder and no SOO taking the headlines. Not port

Swanny40519
13th June 2014, 12:16 AM
40k is very very optomistic given the history of SCG crowds. Maybe if Collingwood were top of the ladder and no SOO taking the headlines. Not port

I don't care if there are 40k or 30k in attendance. As long as the red and white win the game it is just numbers.

erica
13th June 2014, 08:26 AM
I don't care if there are 40k or 30k in attendance. As long as the red and white win the game it is just numbers.

Agree. I'll be there but everyone else is capable of deciding for themselves whether to attend. Just want us to win.

barry
13th June 2014, 08:57 AM

If you don't care about the crowd, this is the wrong thread for you.

I hope we win too. I wonder how much missing tippet will impact us . Crowd and win-ability.

AMcK3220
13th June 2014, 09:12 AM
will the forecast rain effect the crowd and the performance of Sir Lance Alot?

markc
13th June 2014, 11:44 AM
Looking on Ticketek most categories are sold out or only single tickets. So now relies on members of all persuasions turning up

CJK
13th June 2014, 12:47 PM
Jack II? Do not want.

snajik
13th June 2014, 02:43 PM
450,000 including autumn leaves and small bugs

Jewels
13th June 2014, 03:23 PM
450,000 including autumn leaves and small bugs

I never include the really small bugs like gnats and so forth, your medium ant size up is all that should be included for mine...

neilfws
13th June 2014, 03:31 PM
It is interesting looking at the change in crowd figures over the years.

and for just home games (excluding finals)

Sure is interesting. Here are home crowds 2004-2014. Really shows the huge increase in 2014 for Port.

erica
13th June 2014, 07:36 PM
Maybe Port crowds are just as fickle as Sydney crowds and like winners?

Meg
13th June 2014, 07:58 PM
Maybe Port crowds are just as fickle as Sydney crowds and like winners?

That plus they never viewed AAMI has their 'home'. The ground was much more associated with the Crows. Both Port and Crows fans have embraced the Adelaide Oval. And the Port FC has put a lot of work into turning it into the Portress for their home matches. eg a Port Power Tshirt on every seat at their opening match.

Gezball
14th June 2014, 01:02 PM
How's the weather been up there this morning?

Go swans.

undy
14th June 2014, 01:09 PM
How's the weather been up there this morning?

Go swans.

Damp, but bouts of sunshine now.

liz
14th June 2014, 01:16 PM
I'm in the Fox precinct and it's cool but dry. Fair amount of white cloud around but plenty of blue sky breaking through too.

Mel_C
14th June 2014, 05:30 PM
41,317 what a fantastic crowd.

Melbourne_Blood
14th June 2014, 05:52 PM
Well done ! Great effort ! Looked awesome on the telly

Faunac8
14th June 2014, 05:52 PM
"Oh and surely we should nudge 41,000 for this game would love to be able to attend it will be a cracker"

Good call by that pundit :)

barry
14th June 2014, 06:11 PM
Awesome crowd, especially when you consider the SOO and soccer world cup grabing the headlines. Wouldnt have been many outside the AFL comunity who knew much about this game.

Well done fans

chalbilto
14th June 2014, 06:40 PM
Well done to you for acknowledging the crowd at the SCG.

CJK
14th June 2014, 07:32 PM
barry on suicide watch

Edit - crap, missed his post earlier. Well played barry. *tips hat*

Big Al
14th June 2014, 08:55 PM
One of the best crowds I've been a part of. I've heard big roars at the SCG over the years but the 70m Buddy goal and the Final siren were spine tingling loud.

jono2707
14th June 2014, 09:56 PM
Awesome crowd, especially when you consider the SOO and soccer world cup grabing the headlines. Wouldnt have been many outside the AFL comunity who knew much about this game.

Well done fans

Well done us :)
It was a ripper day. Wonderful crowd.

Wardy
14th June 2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah it was fantastic!! See Buddy's presence has put bums on seats!!

ugg
14th June 2014, 10:10 PM
The Red Zone on the bottom level of the Noble was so packed that all bays had standing fans packed behind the seats. Not sure if this was the plan or the fact they didn't tell the seated patrons to squash together to free up more adjoining seats for groups

Swanny40519
14th June 2014, 10:13 PM
If you don't care about the crowd, this is the wrong thread for you.

I hope we win too. I wonder how much missing tippet will impact us . Crowd and win-ability.

What great game and a great crowd. When Buddy kicked those two freak goals in the last Qtr that was the biggest roar I have heard at the SGC since that magic point in 1996.

Go you mighty Swans.

Primmy
15th June 2014, 07:26 AM
Even the beer swilling deck stayed for the whole game! They usually get up and down and take orders for more beer. Actually watched the game this time!

barry
15th June 2014, 10:43 AM
There is obviously an optimal time to play games at the SCG to maximize crowds. Probably Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Same as Saturday night is the only slot that suits ANZ.

I wish the AFL draw actually took this in to account. Maybe they will with the soft crowd figures this year.

stellation
15th June 2014, 10:45 AM
It was a wonderful game, and a wonderful sight to see the stands so full. Completely tricked by the new stands, had no idea it would be announced as >40k!

erica
15th June 2014, 12:12 PM
It was a wonderful game, and a wonderful sight to see the stands so full. Completely tricked by the new stands, had no idea it would be announced as >40k!

Wait until we have a capacity crowd of 47,000 at the SCG! How good will that be?

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/venues/seating-capacities/

Gezball
15th June 2014, 06:26 PM
Wait until we have a capacity crowd of 47,000 at the SCG! How good will that be?

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/venues/seating-capacities/

I don't think that will ever happen unfortunately. It would need all SCG members and swans members to show.

erica
15th June 2014, 06:39 PM
I don't think that will ever happen unfortunately. It would need all SCG members and swans members to show.

If it's a final, it would be a full house. Remember the Geelong final in 2005? Awesome night.

Just have to get rid of ANZ contract first...

Melbourne_Blood
15th June 2014, 07:18 PM
There is obviously an optimal time to play games at the SCG to maximize crowds. Probably Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Same as Saturday night is the only slot that suits ANZ.

I wish the AFL draw actually took this in to account. Maybe they will with the soft crowd figures this year.

Thursday night seemed to do okay to.

Doctor
15th June 2014, 07:46 PM
The fact that we played a team that, while top of the ladder, doesn't have a lot of Sydney-based supporters makes the crowd size all the more significant. Noone can argue that the number was inflated by 10,000 away fans. Shame the precinct is so unable to cope with a crowd of that size in terms of getting everyone away. The bus queues were ridiculous but I know that was nothing compared to the wait those who drove had to endure.

erica
15th June 2014, 08:27 PM
The fact that we played a team that, while top of the ladder, doesn't have a lot of Sydney-based supporters makes the crowd size all the more significant. Noone can argue that the number was inflated by 10,000 away fans. Shame the precinct is so unable to cope with a crowd of that size in terms of getting everyone away. The bus queues were ridiculous but I know that was nothing compared to the wait those who drove had to endure.

Very true. Melbourne-based teams tend to have more supporters who go to games in Sydney than those of other states.

Untamed Snark
16th June 2014, 09:11 AM

I'm STILL in the car park!
Awesome game and fantastic crowd but the SCG Trust & the Entertainment quarter need to do something about the parking, we waited over an hour to be able to get the car out of the Ent Quarter car park-it was close to 7pm before we got out

stellation
16th June 2014, 10:29 AM
I'm STILL in the car park!
Awesome game and fantastic crowd but the SCG Trust & the Entertainment quarter need to do something about the parking, we waited over an hour to be able to get the car out of the Ent Quarter car park-it was close to 7pm before we got out
Parking at the SCG really is close to ridiculous. We once had our car start to overheat trying to get out of the EQ car park because the wait was just so, so long and we had to eventually find a way to creep to a parking spot to let it cool. It wasn't that old, and it was the only time it has ever happened- I had the cooling doubled checked and it was given the thumbs up, the mechanic suggested it must have just been put through an extreme situation.

DamY
16th June 2014, 12:23 PM
the traffic around the SCG was plain horrendous! We walked past cars with fans and they were frustrated with how long they were stuck in traffic before the game

Untamed Snark
16th June 2014, 12:43 PM
the traffic around the SCG was plain horrendous! We walked past cars with fans and they were frustrated with how long they were stuck in traffic before the game

It took over an hour to get from the Harbour Bridge to the car park, it was terrible.
End of the day we spent more time in the car than at the stadium
Again it was a fantastic game but the SCG trust & the Entertainment Quarter need to do something to manage flow of traffic
We left Epping at 12:20 and missed the first bounce, got to the car 20 mins after the final siren & got back to Epping at 7:50.
Moore Park being where it is and Swans fans being as spread out as we are they need to assume at least 50% of the crowd will drive, currently the Ent. Center car park & the grass parking outside the stadium all feed out to the same point creating chaos, all going to plan the swans will have 30+ crowds at every game, they need to be planning how to cope with the access traffic

BobLog
16th June 2014, 12:46 PM
I don't live in Sydney but the SCG seems very accessible via public transport to me. 50% driving sounds ridiculous.

ugg
16th June 2014, 12:51 PM
I noticed this year they've discontinued the "park n ride" from a CBD parking station. Maybe this has added to the congestion.

CJK
16th June 2014, 01:52 PM
Twitter / sydneyswans: Beat the traffic and take public ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/477597579329290240)

stellation
16th June 2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, obviously public transport is ideal- but the reality is sometimes you can't, and quite a few folks can't for varying reasons.

Swanny40519
16th June 2014, 02:12 PM
In a couple of years ????, when true tram line is built from central then I could train there and get a tram to the ground.

Otherwise I am afraid I need a car. I have stopped parking at the Fox Studios carpark - has to be the worst and most disorganised car park in Sydney.

I park a couple of KM from the ground and walk. It beats wasting an hour getting out of car parks and then get stuck in gridlocked traffic around the SGC.

liz
16th June 2014, 02:34 PM
I park a couple of KM from the ground and walk. It beats wasting an hour getting out of car parks and then get stuck in gridlocked traffic around the SGC.

How far is it from Central to the SCG? Surely that must be less than a couple of kms?

stellation
16th June 2014, 02:52 PM
How far is it from Central to the SCG? Surely that must be less than a couple of kms?

I think it's right on a couple of kms from memory (Stella junior bothered to check it once because we normally walk it and he wanted to know if it was reasonable to complain or not).

Meg
16th June 2014, 03:05 PM
I think it's right on a couple of kms from memory (Stella junior bothered to check it once because we normally walk it and he wanted to know if it was reasonable to complain or not).

Wow Stella, full marks for raising a junior who brings rationality to his complaints. Mind you he won't fit in very well with most of us on RWO!

ugg
16th June 2014, 03:35 PM
It's a tad over 2km, but the mostly uphill walk makes it feel longer.

CJK
16th June 2014, 04:06 PM
People end up taking Foveaux which is the worse way to go as it gets crazy steep before Crown.

Devonshire or Albion are easier walks.

ugg
16th June 2014, 04:12 PM
People end up taking Foveaux which is the worse way to go as it gets crazy steep before Crown.

Devonshire or Albion are easier walks.
With bonus stop at the Bourke St Bakery.

gumby_bolts
16th June 2014, 05:03 PM

If ever-present queue is not too long.

Xie Shan
16th June 2014, 05:05 PM

Yes!

CJK
16th June 2014, 05:36 PM
Stops at Royal Albert, Dove and Olive, Trinity.

Good taps

stellation
16th June 2014, 06:22 PM
If ever-present queue is not too long.

Sneaky tip for CBD workers: this (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1472421/restaurant/CBD/Central-Baking-Depot-Sydney) relatively unassuming place on Erskine street, is actually an offshoot of Bourke Street Bakery. It's not as good overall, but the pies, sausage rolls and pastries are bang on the money and there's nowhere near the queues.

- - - Updated - - -

Stops at Royal Albert, Dove and Olive, Trinity.

Good taps

For someone who lives at the top of the Blue Mountains, I spend way too much time drinking at the Royal Albert.

Gezball
16th June 2014, 07:11 PM

You're making me hungry..

CJK
17th June 2014, 10:10 AM
Sneaky tip for CBD workers: this (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1472421/restaurant/CBD/Central-Baking-Depot-Sydney) relatively unassuming place on Erskine street, is actually an offshoot of Bourke Street Bakery. It's not as good overall, but the pies, sausage rolls and pastries are bang on the money and there's nowhere near the queues.

Nice tip, grabbed some paninis on the way in to make a sandwich for lunch. No queue!

jono2707
17th June 2014, 11:42 AM
I noticed on Saturday that they'd set up a quite nice looking outside bar area, on the grass over from the members entrance, sort of near Kippax Lake. Looks like it'd be alright for those wanting to wait out the crowds for a post match drink.

Kind of like the bar at Olympic Park up from the station. Except it's nicer and not at Olympic Park.

Primmy
17th June 2014, 11:53 AM
I drive. I get there at sparrows. I head to entrance A this year, and gawp at the que disappearing into the distance. I then lean against a bollard for 10 minutes and watch them file in, then join them. I cannot walk any further. Cannot.

I have found getting out of the carpark ok most of the time. I wouldn't survive the que and the bus trip, to either a non existent ferry (if I miss it, its either another hour, or none at all, and my car is at the wharf, no buses). Or to another bus ride, from the CBD at night (shudder) plus a drive home. Also I need to stop off for a bunch of hot chips. Its essential. Its actually much quicker to take the car. Not cheaper. However I know I will be able to sit the whole way and after the game, that's all the energy I have left.

I think the enormous number of cars these days is a reflection of the number of SCG members having a day out in the new stand and pretending to watch the game. NOT including the die hard SCG/Swans fans.