PDA

View Full Version : Bennett,Brockman & Mott

Dpw
2nd March 2003, 07:05 PM
Seems to me we should of atleast kept one of these guys as we are having troubles getting enough talls on the park let alone having options.

I would have thought Brockman would had been given one more year seeing he is tall enough to cover up back and ruck he also spent a full season at Port as fullback two years ago .

I know that people will use the argument that they weren't good enough to help us win a premiership in the future so get rid of them and try someone new however this is unrealistic as most teams have players that are there to fill a role.

I think that we will regret not keeping atleast one of these guys for atleast one more season.

any thoughts.

Norris Lurker
2nd March 2003, 07:11 PM
I strongly suspect the Swans wouldn't have delisted Brockman had they known what shape Ricky Mott would have turned up to pre-season training in. But by then it was too late.

desredandwhite
2nd March 2003, 07:29 PM
agree with that, teal.

I assume we were counting on a few things in this transition period - we have some young talls, but I don't know how close some of them are to senior selection - like LRT, Powell, Hunt, Stevens... Unfortunately Mott's axing has led to a necessary re-think in the Swans brains trust. I'm not sure they've figured out how we're going to cover him yet! :)

having said that, if Ball and Doyle get a half-decent run, we don't have much of a problem. Our tall depth is rubbish at the moment unfortunately (with due respect to aforementioned young players, who are not all ready yet)

Cheer Cheer
2nd March 2003, 08:20 PM
Yes Mott threw a big spanner in the works with that one

LondonSwan
2nd March 2003, 08:46 PM
But and I've said it before he was not that overweight and he was apparently really peed off that that story did the rounds.

He just didnt fit the mould, I suspect he ran foul of the coaching panel and it may not necessarily have been Roos as I thought.

No criticism Des, but they have to think a bit longer before they jump.

desredandwhite
2nd March 2003, 08:54 PM
Bad timing, I suspect, LS - to put it mildly.

WHATEVER it was, I can't believe that the club would risk going in one ruckman short unless they simply could not retain him. It's not something they would have gone into lightly given our lack of depth (unless our board and coaching staff are much, MUCH bolder and suicidal than I thought).

We are now relying on the kids to come through quicker than we thought.

gloveski
3rd March 2003, 11:35 AM
Myebe Bennet should have been kept incase none of out tall youngsters come through

jude_boltons_babe
3rd March 2003, 01:36 PM
i wish they did keep them but they didnt and now both are playing for different teams gerrard and ryan fitzgerald are playing together but leigh isnt

Rod_
3rd March 2003, 03:43 PM
As much as I agree that one of these guys should have been kept. They were "known players" And therefore were scraped after being given the opportunity to perform.

Better off getting another from the ever increasing player stocks and trying someone new (Irish connection???) Hard but none of these guys was ever going to be a jet.......

Tough but who knows what the future will hold for the new untested players???

Rod_

If they don't work out, Roosy has already advised that the swans need new champions and if someone don't step up by the end of the year ...... wholesale changes again. Put on notice!!

Hope some of these guys can. To hard to remember their names.......... :confused: