PDA

View Full Version : Finish Them Off

Nico
21st March 2004, 09:55 PM
There has been plenty of debate recently as to whether we will go forwards or backwards this year.

Given that the team that will line up in Round 1 is close to the finishing side of last year, my hope is that they will carry on from last year and indeed improve on last year. Why not?

Goodes is just reaching his peak years in the game, Barry Hall is primed as he says and others including J.Bolton, Kennelly, Kirk, C.Bolton, Crouch etc as Wallace says, are in the perfect age and games played bracket to produce the goods.

My feeling is the area we need to improve on is FINISHING TEAMS OFF rather than letting them back into the game.

Last year Roos rested some prime movers each 3rd quarter to freshen them up for the last stanza. It worked but in some games I felt this let teams back in. So w hd to work hard to get over the line. eg. Carlton at Optus Oval.

I would love to see us really belt some sides when we have them down.

CureTheSane
22nd March 2004, 09:58 AM
Very interesting post.

If we have the game won, do we rest our stars?

Injuries are easier to get in the laziness and tiredness of the last quarter.

But is it better to finish off a team and get that killer instinct.

I'd have to say the latter.

I have noticed that the Swans are better finishers in the tight games under Roos, which is great, but Roos can't train into them the elation of pumping a team.

Also, how important is the percentage?

I have always believed that if you can't make it into the finals on points, you are pretty much wasting your time being there.

ie: all the teams who are hoing to scrape in on points have never done much in the finals.

Bart
22nd March 2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Very interesting post.

If we have the game won, do we rest our stars?

Like O'Loughlin with one minute to go against Melbourne in Rd 22 :frown

You'll see him being rested I would think in many matches this year if a game is in the bag

ScottH
23rd March 2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Bart
Like O'Loughlin with one minute to go against Melbourne in Rd 22 :frown

You'll see him being rested I would think in many matches this year if a game is in the bag

I blame Hall for that one. We had the game in the bag, Hall should have slowed the game down a touch. But instead he played on quickly, kicking it too wide for magic. He then had to stretch it out to get there on time..

It would have been different if the game was close. It was very costly at that time of yr.

You don't have to play on all the time Barry.

But it is good to see them finish teams off, something that was lacking last yr. There were many games that we were well in front, only to take the foot off the pedal, instead of putting the nail in the coffin!!

Bury them Swannies!!!!!!!!

The Boot
23rd March 2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by hemsleys
But it is good to see them finish teams off, something that was lacking last yr. There were many games that we were well in front, only to take the foot off the pedal, instead of putting the nail in the coffin!!
Something the Lions .. ironically .. are very very good at, thanks to Lethal. I remember him saying that's something a team has to do, some years ago. But all good coaches & players would think and know that.

I think it is a desirable trait for us to embrace. Once that taste of blood is in the mouth it will spiral ones confidence upward. We are after all the Bloods