PDA

View Full Version : Delisting 2015

bloodspirit
16th June 2015, 01:14 PM
Can anyone say how many players must be delisted each year? I think it's three from the senior list but wasn't able to confirm this after spending 5-10 minutes searching online.

I was wondering who we'll be looking at delisting this year. I'm thinking Shaw and Goodes' will retire. Then, given Naismith and Nankervis' development, Derickx may be the unfortunate third. What do others think at this stage of the season?

Conor_Dillon
16th June 2015, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure there is a fixed number that 'have' to be delisted but you need to add a minimum of 3 at the National Draft.

I agree that Shaw and Goodes will more than likely both retire, others have said we may delist AJ and then pick him up again in the rookie draft but that could be risky. Derickx is contracted for next season so he will be staying unless he is traded. Marsh seems like the obvious delisting but from all reports he's having a pretty impressive run of games at NEAFL level.

Brandon Jack could be in trouble but I would be surprised if the club didn't give him another year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Bird or Towers request a trade in a bid to play more consistent senior footy.

Naismith will be retained and I believe Nankervis has another year to run on his contract. Hopefully Perris is given the third year rookie spot so we get a chance to see what he can do with an extended run of injury-free games.

Mug Punter
16th June 2015, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure there is a fixed number that 'have' to be delisted but you need to add a minimum of 3 at the National Draft.

I agree that Shaw and Goodes will more than likely both retire, others have said we may delist AJ and then pick him up again in the rookie draft but that could be risky. Derickx is contracted for next season so he will be staying unless he is traded. Marsh seems like the obvious delisting but from all reports he's having a pretty impressive run of games at NEAFL level.

Brandon Jack could be in trouble but I would be surprised if the club didn't give him another year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Bird or Towers request a trade in a bid to play more consistent senior footy.

Naismith will be retained and I believe Nankervis has another year to run on his contract. Hopefully Perris is given the third year rookie spot so we get a chance to see what he can do with an extended run of injury-free games.

Can see quite a turnover this year - Goodes, Shaw to retire with Bird, Towers and probably Jetta (against our wishes) to be traded plus Aliir Aliir and one other de-listed

That leaves seven to be added. Can se Naismith being upgraded and four draftees (probably three F/S or accademy) and a couple of free agent or de-listed players (probably defenders), one a bargain basement and the other a little more established.

Conor_Dillon
16th June 2015, 03:30 PM
Allir Allir will be given another season...I believe we give all of our players taken in the National Draft 3 year contracts but I could be wrong.

bloodspirit
16th June 2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks Conor. I was beginning to wonder whether AJ and/or BJ might be in danger. Thanks also for clarifying that 3 must be added via the draft - that explains where I got my idea from. So if you have a full list then you have to lose three to accommodate those incoming.

Mug Punter - losing 7 seems pessimistic. I can see why Bird (even though he is from Nelson Bay) and maybe Towers might look elsewhere for the sake of more opportunity. Towers, Cunningham and BJ seem to be competing for the same role most of the time but it seems Towers is very close to Harry with BJ a bit further back. I don't know the mail on Jetta - why, apart from the fact that he is from WA, is it speculated that he will leave? Will be a loss for us if he does. His role is not one where we have much depth, especially having lost Mal, another of our better long kicks.

I think new draftees may get two years - not three. Hence Zak Jones re-signing. Aliir (and Nank) were in the same draft as Jones - so they will need to be extended if they are not going to be de-listed. Marsh seems to have been getting good enough raps in an area where we will be looking to renew (i.e. defence) that I would be mildly surprised if he cut him (providing he maintains his good form of 2015 so far). Otherwise we might as well have cut him last year.

Perris is going to have his work cut out to make the senior team - his is a role where we do seem to have a lot of depth.

16th June 2015, 05:26 PM
Remember we are only running 38 on the senior list when we can have up to 40. This may mean we don't have to delist/trade out three if we choose to expand the senior list to 39 or 40. I think we only run 38 as a strategy to save $ given the two extra rookies are cheaper than two on the senior list.

Shaw is certainly a retirement, Goodes did look a certainty but if he keeps up this standard of play for the rest of the year who knows about 2016! Marsh is the most obvious delisting, Perris who knows?, Naismith will be upgraded.

Trade outs? Bird might look elsewhere and would have suitors, Towers likely to stay?

Be our most interesting trade/draft period since 2009 I reckon. Just get the feeling that Mills and Dunkley plus the Naismith upgrade will be all we do at the ND.

Mug Punter
16th June 2015, 05:56 PM
Remember we are only running 38 on the senior list when we can have up to 40. This may mean we don't have to delist/trade out three if we choose to expand the senior list to 39 or 40. I think we only run 38 as a strategy to save $ given the two extra rookies are cheaper than two on the senior list.

Shaw is certainly a retirement, Goodes did look a certainty but if he keeps up this standard of play for the rest of the year who knows about 2016! Marsh is the most obvious delisting, Perris who knows?, Naismith will be upgraded.

Trade outs? Bird might look elsewhere and would have suitors, Towers likely to stay?

Be our most interesting trade/draft period since 2009 I reckon. Just get the feeling that Mills and Dunkley plus the Naismith upgrade will be all we do at the ND.

I'd be surprised if that the it to be honest. I'd think Mills and Dunks (depending on his draft spot) plus Sam are certainties but I woudl think we'd also try and draft an academy kid or two. I'd also think we will be in the market for some defensive stocks.

We'll be looking at some trade bait for sure and it's healthy because if we want to give the likes of Hewett and Jones a chance we can't have them clogged up behind a mature list. I can definitely see a bundled deal of Bird and Towers going for an early second round pick, maybe Melbourne because they desperately need some added depth. Two retirements and a strong chance Jetta will seek a trade.

bloodspirit
16th June 2015, 07:59 PM
I'd be surprised if that the it to be honest. I'd think Mills and Dunks (depending on his draft spot) plus Sam are certainties but I woudl think we'd also try and draft an academy kid or two. I'd also think we will be in the market for some defensive stocks.

We'll be looking at some trade bait for sure and it's healthy because if we want to give the likes of Hewett and Jones a chance we can't have them clogged up behind a mature list. I can definitely see a bundled deal of Bird and Towers going for an early second round pick, maybe Melbourne because they desperately need some added depth. Two retirements and a strong chance Jetta will seek a trade.

Surely Bird + Towers is worth more than an early 2nd round pick?! Bird is one of the best 150 players in the comp and Towers was himself a first round pick and has had years of development invested in him so he is at last ready to go.

As for defenders, isn't that what we have done at recent drafts? Marsh, X, Aliir, Jones, Newman, McLaren (and who knows what Melican may one day become or for that matter, Abe Davis). That's 6-8 potential defenders in the system at various stages of development. If anything, wouldn't be more likely to trade for a ready made defender if it is felt necessary rather than making defenders a specific focus of our drafting?

Ludwig
16th June 2015, 07:59 PM
It would be awful to lose Jetta just when he's begun to fulfill his potential. I can only see him wanting to go back to WA. Freo will be targeting a KPP, so I doubt that they will be in a position to trade for Jetta. It's not like they are going to give up Fyfe. WCE may well be willing to give up their 1st round pick, probably around #14 for Jetta, which is where he went in the first place. I hope it doesn't happen.

I don't think there are any obvious delistings at this point in the season. We are likely to give our KPPs more time to develop given out lack of depth in that area. This year's draft is considered fairly weak, so we might be better off holding on to what we have, as it will only be replacing delisted players with new rookies.

Mug Punter
16th June 2015, 09:00 PM
Surely Bird + Towers is worth more than an early 2nd round pick?! Bird is one of the best 150 players in the comp and Towers was himself a first round pick and has had years of development invested in him so he is at last ready to go.

As for defenders, isn't that what we have done at recent drafts? Marsh, X, Aliir, Jones, Newman, McLaren (and who knows what Melican may one day become or for that matter, Abe Davis). That's 6-8 potential defenders in the system at various stages of development. If anything, wouldn't be more likely to trade for a ready made defender if it is felt necessary rather than making defenders a specific focus of our drafting?

I think that would be fair. I like Bird but if he isn't a regular in our (admittedly strong) then it is hard to argue he is in the best 150, I'd rate his as very honest and reliable. Towers would be worth early second round at best, roughly what we got for Everitt which was an upgrade from pick 39 to 32. A club like Melbourne could take two ready made senior players, maybe add a free agent plus still get their early first round pick. Their real issue is depth and I do think they'd be a prime destination

Mug Punter
16th June 2015, 09:06 PM
It would be awful to lose Jetta just when he's begun to fulfill his potential. I can only see him wanting to go back to WA. Freo will be targeting a KPP, so I doubt that they will be in a position to trade for Jetta. It's not like they are going to give up Fyfe. WCE may well be willing to give up their 1st round pick, probably around #14 for Jetta, which is where he went in the first place. I hope it doesn't happen.

I hope he stays too but I reckon there's a very good chance he will leave

Melbourne_Blood
16th June 2015, 09:37 PM
I hope he stays too but I reckon there's a very good chance he will leave

You've posted this view a few times. And the question has been asked by another poster but you haven't really answered it - why, other than the fact that he is originally from WA ( and I'm guessing coming Out of contract) , do you think Jetta will leave? Have you heard something somewhere? An interview with Jetta perhaps where he expresses his desire to return home ? Comment by a journalist, Rumour mill , or just purely speculation and / or gut feel ? Nothing I've seen or heard would suggest he's unhappy in Sydney, and he's playing probably the best footy of his career, so I'm just curious to know why you feel there's such a good chance he will leave. The only thing I can think of is if he gets presented with the offer of a pretty hefty pay rise to return home, say around 500- 600k, which I doubt we'd be in a position to match.

crackedactor
16th June 2015, 09:43 PM
Allir Allir, I heard he was quite impressive in the last NEAFL match? I think Shaw, Goodes and AJ will retire plus one of the ruckman probably derrick or Naismith. Bird and towers will look elsewhere. Jetta playing his best since 2012, so I hope he stays. Brandon Jack and X Richards may be only a 50/50 chance to stay. IMHO.

Mug Punter
16th June 2015, 09:48 PM
You've posted this view a few times. And the question has been asked by another poster but you haven't really answered it - why, other than the fact that he is originally from WA ( and I'm guessing coming Out of contract) , do you think Jetta will leave? Have you heard something somewhere? An interview with Jetta perhaps where he expresses his desire to return home ? Comment by a journalist, Rumour mill , or just purely speculation and / or gut feel ? Nothing I've seen or heard would suggest he's unhappy in Sydney, and he's playing probably the best footy of his career, so I'm just curious to know why you feel there's such a good chance he will leave. The only thing I can think of is if he gets presented with the offer of a pretty hefty pay rise to return home, say around 500- 600k, which I doubt we'd be in a position to match.

All of the above really plus the fact he hasn't re-signed and is out of contract at year end. We tend to be able to lock in our required players (which he is) well in advance. The WA go home factor with a young family when both he and his wife are from there you seem to dismiss but I think it would be a big motivator.

Goodesy seemed to be a huge factor in him re-signing last time and one would think he is in his last year as a player so that reason would be gone.

Plus the fact I would imagine he would be able to earn significantly more over there, I expect our salary cap will start to bite next year and he would have to accept significant unders.

Time will tell I guess, I just have a feeling he won't be here next year. I hope I'm wrong as he is having a cracking year

- - - Updated - - -

X Richards may be only a 50/50 chance to stay. IMHO.

Haven't heard too may glowing report on X to he honest so you could well be right there.

mcs
16th June 2015, 10:17 PM
Why would AJ retire unless there are complications from this knee reco? Surely if he was going to give it away before giving it one last shot, he would have done it when the news broke the last operation had failed. I'd be very surprised if he retired unless as I said there are further complications and no sign of recovery. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen. Wouldn't surprise me if we cut him then re-draft him as a rookie. I'd doubt very much any other club would go near him.

We will surely give Allir Allir at least another year - Grundy and Richards aren't getting younger, and we aren't going to be in a position to trade in high quality, ready made replacements. Allir started the year well then got injured, but as I said in the ressies thread, I thought he played well on the weekend. He is still very much a work in progress.

As is X Richards - who was named in the bests on the weekend. I'd be surprised if we cut him either.

BJ may be at risk if he can't break into the Seniors, as I'd expect Towers may be, who we may seek to trade to get a few points towards the youngsters.

I wonder if they might give Derricx the flick - assuming Naismith isn't out too long and has a good second half of the season, and Nankervis continues to impress, they may be willing to risk a bit less depth in the ruck next year for an extra spot on the list for someone else.

Marsh is an interesting one - he clearly is doing a lot right in the coaches eyes in the NEAFL - but I'm not sure I'd be picking him in front of Newman or Zak Jones once Shaw goes. He may be one that expresses an interest in being traded/delisted in search of opportunities elsewhere, as the coaches seem to think he is just about ready for senior footy (Reading the NEAFL half-yearly report on the main site) NEAFL: Player by player review - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-06-16/neafl-player-by-player-review)

RogueSwan
16th June 2015, 10:31 PM
It would be awful to lose Jetta just when he's begun to fulfill his potential. I can only see him wanting to go back to WA. Freo will be targeting a KPP, so I doubt that they will be in a position to trade for Jetta....

Someone on the Superfooty podcast suggested Freo were into Charlie Dixon from the Suns but are now looking at McCarthy from the Giants. If they went hard after one of those two, and got one, they would not have much left to entice Jetta with, financially.

... The WA go home factor with a young family when both he and his wife are from there you seem to dismiss but I think it would be a big motivator...
Plus the fact I would imagine he would be able to earn significantly more over there, I expect our salary cap will start to bite next year and he would have to accept significant unders....Time will tell I guess, I just have a feeling he won't be here next year. I hope I'm wrong as he is having a cracking year

I think that he is finally starting to fulfill his potential and that the Swans realise he is a unique footballer. We have potential inside, solid midfielder options, and good distributors/kicks. What we don't have is someone who can move and kick like Jetta. I could see the Swans working harder to keep Jetta than a Lloyd/McVeigh(non-captain)/standard midfielder. Our other midfielders are more easily replaced (note I said "more" easily not just easily replaced).
If Bird (nooooooooo!) and Towers are moved on this would open up funds to entice Jetta to continue with the Swans. Also, isn't Tippo getting cheaper by the year? :smile:I'm not 100% on that though.
We don't have a pressing need to recruit a ready made defender (but we can't ignore that either) with Laidler's improvement, Teddy still going strong, Reg has another 3-4yrs and Alliir's good showing in the Two's. And Davis and McLean still have time to prove they will make it.

16th June 2015, 11:03 PM
Someone on the Superfooty podcast suggested Freo were into Charlie Dixon from the Suns but are now looking at McCarthy from the Giants. If they went hard after one of those two, and got one, they would not have much left to entice Jetta with, financially

I think that he is finally starting to fulfill his potential and that the Swans realise he is a unique footballer. We have potential inside, solid midfielder options, and good distributors/kicks. What we don't have is someone who can move and kick like Jetta. I could see the Swans working harder to keep Jetta than a Lloyd/McVeigh(non-captain)/standard midfielder. Our other midfielders are more easily replaced (note I said "more" easily not just easily replaced).
If Bird (nooooooooo!) and Towers are moved on this would open up funds to entice Jetta to continue with the Swans. Also, isn't Tippo getting cheaper by the year? :smile:I'm not 100% on that though.
We don't have a pressing need to recruit a ready made defender (but we can't ignore that either) with Laidler's improvement, Teddy still going strong, Reg has another 3-4yrs and Alliir's good showing in the Two's. And Davis and McLean still have time to prove they will make it.

Hate to think how slow Reg will be in 3-4 yrs !

wolftone57
16th June 2015, 11:34 PM
Can see quite a turnover this year - Goodes, Shaw to retire with Bird, Towers and probably Jetta (against our wishes) to be traded plus Aliir Aliir and one other de-listed

That leaves seven to be added. Can se Naismith being upgraded and four draftees (probably three F/S or accademy) and a couple of free agent or de-listed players (probably defenders), one a bargain basement and the other a little more established.

One of the problems I have with people making astounding assumptions without even one bit of evidence is that it is assumption. For a start you never mentioned Marsh. You assume Aliir will be cut yet Aliir is actually very integral to our continued backline dominance. So back off Aliir he is a VERY GOOD player.

Goodes and Shaw as far as I can see are sureties to retire. But I also see that Teddy is not as good as he once was. He is getting more marks and yardage on him than before. He is getting to the expendable stage.

If Birdie is not in our best 26 then I think he might just look at a future elsewhere. Our Western Neighbours might just like to trade for him. I thuink his time here is finished. The reason, because he is not flexible. He can play mids and maybe forward if that and that is all.

Jetta is not o the table. He wants to stay by the way. Why does everybody believe an article from the year after he was drafted when he was homesick (the club sent him home in the mid season break) to say he wants to go home? @@@@ing stupid rationalisation seeing he has said already he wants to win premierships with Swans.

There are others on our list that may be up for de-listing too. for a start Mike Pyke is not far from retiring and there have been a few instances this year, including last week, that worry me. He doesn't get enough possessions or disposals around the ground. His disposals this year have been some of the worst for a ruckman and his taps to advantage are not huge either. We need to look beyond Pykie.

Nankervis has been on the list for a few years now. He has not even had a seniors game. I don't know if he will. The problem I see with him at seniors level is he is too slow. Naismith is far more mobile and he has far more upside. Young McLaren is a very mobile young ruck forward on the Rookie list so that basically gets rid of Nankervis.

Tom Derrickx was wonderful for a season but hasn't been able to get a spot in the seniors. I don't think he will.

As much as it is distasteful for me to say Alex Johnson is at this stage in limbo. There is no player who has returned from this sort of lay off and actually had a successful career. So thecodds are against him. If his injury comes good by the pre-season next year he might be retained but I think it would be really foolish if the club were to risk his comeback after the mid season break. Morribito has suffered a similar fate and now is seen as just depth if that. Next year he will be de-listed. AJ, as good as he was, cannot expect the Swans to wait. I love the guy and hope he comes back but if he is not ready to go by pre-season next year then I think the club should cut him loose. sorry folks. I love theguy too, so bloody brave and one of the best players I have ever seen.

Melbourne_Blood
16th June 2015, 11:56 PM
^ one of the best players you have ever seen? I'm a huge wrap for AJ, but that is one of the more ridiculous calls I've ever heard.

wolftone57
17th June 2015, 12:36 AM
^ one of the best players you have ever seen? I'm a huge wrap for AJ, but that is one of the more ridiculous calls I've ever heard.

Is it ridiculous? I should have said he was one of the best backmen I have ever seen. But really he was a sensational player who could have and still could be something else. What AJ did in the 2012 finals campaign was nothing short of wonderful. He was and still could be an exceptional talent. You underestimate this guy's talent I think. Not for the first time I think. If I remember rightly you poopooed my prediction that Lukie Parker would eventually be our best mid. Then again you only see Melbourne games and don't see the reserves at all.

But I think you actually missed the point. I was replying to a post on de-listing or retiring. The unfortunate problem we have with AJ is; Will He Ever Play Again?

barry
17th June 2015, 12:53 AM
Settle down . AJ had one good year playing against 3rd or 4th forward

He was on track for a bright future , but who knows now ?

wolftone57
17th June 2015, 01:30 AM

Barry AJ had real talent. If you can't see that you are blind. He played on Jack Gunston in the 2012 GF. That is a pretty good feat as he kept him to 8 disposals. You have to really be very careful when you start making suppositions. This guy could have been anything as a backman but was cut down by injury. Don't denigrate the guy by saying he played on the fourth forward. He never did. Gunston was Hawks third forward but a @@@@ing good player. He also killed Fassolo & stuck it to Goldsack. He absolutely dissected Petrenko in Adelaide. We have not seen enough of this bloke to make a judgement but I am saying he was @@@@ing wonderful.

liz
17th June 2015, 02:00 AM
Nankervis has been on the list for a few years now. He has not even had a seniors game. I don't know if he will. The problem I see with him at seniors level is he is too slow. Naismith is far more mobile and he has far more upside. Young McLaren is a very mobile young ruck forward on the Rookie list so that basically gets rid of Nankervis.

No he hasn't. He's halfway through his second year on the list. He's a ruckman. Ruckmen take time. Dean Cox spent several years on the Eagles list being a spud, before he blossomed into one of the best rucks of recent times. I'm not suggesting Nankervis is the next Dean Cox by any means. Just pointing out that you have to be patient with young ruckmen. Naismith has actually been on our list for longer - a year longer, plus time in the academy playing with the reserves in the previous year. The club is being patient with him, as they are (and I think will continue to be) with Nankervis.

wolftone57
17th June 2015, 02:27 AM
No he hasn't. He's halfway through his second year on the list. He's a ruckman. Ruckmen take time. Dean Cox spent several years on the Eagles list being a spud, before he blossomed into one of the best rucks of recent times. I'm not suggesting Nankervis is the next Dean Cox by any means. Just pointing out that you have to be patient with young ruckmen. Naismith has actually been on our list for longer - a year longer, plus time in the academy playing with the reserves in the previous year. The club is being patient with him, as they are (and I think will continue to be) with Nankervis.

Sorry but a few years is two years or more. Bloody learn English. Yes Naismith has been there longer plus playing as a toppy from the academy. It is paying off. He is developing very nicely. Nankervis may also develop. We won't know until he plays an AFL game. But from what I saw in the pre-season I don't think he is ready, anywhere near ready. He is really aggressive but is he talented enough? He certainly is good enough as a forward/ruck but could he be a 'First Ruck'? I don't think so. Naismith can be a'First Ruck' and do it very well. What's more he has kicked more goals and has far more disposals that Toby this year.

Meg
17th June 2015, 02:28 AM
Nankervis only turns 21 in August. That's very young for a ruckman/forward. Too early to be talking about delisting him I think.

CureTheSane
17th June 2015, 02:34 AM
To me a 'few' is 3 or more.
A couple is two.
Regardless, if Nankervis has been here for 1 1/2 years, and this is not "two years or more"
Not sure why you felt the need to write "Bloodly learn English"
That was a bit rude.
:(

Melbourne_Blood
17th June 2015, 08:37 AM
Is it ridiculous? I should have said he was one of the best backmen I have ever seen. But really he was a sensational player who could have and still could be something else. What AJ did in the 2012 finals campaign was nothing short of wonderful. He was and still could be an exceptional talent. You underestimate this guy's talent I think. Not for the first time I think. If I remember rightly you poopooed my prediction that Lukie Parker would eventually be our best mid. Then again you only see Melbourne games and don't see the reserves at all.

But I think you actually missed the point. I was replying to a post on de-listing or retiring. The unfortunate problem we have with AJ is; Will He Ever Play Again?

Haha I poo pooed a prediction about Luke Parker ? Dunno about that Wolfie. AJ was fantastic before he went down but 'best you ever seen is wildly over the top'. What has the reserves got to do with it, or was he the best you ever saw in the NEAFL?

Conor_Dillon
17th June 2015, 09:52 AM
Nankervis seems a very similar player to Goldstein, perhaps more aggressive. Both good overhead, both lovely, long, left-foot kicks, both decent below their knees.

I'd assume endurance would be one of his main issues and there's no doubt he will be given at least 1, if not 2 pre-seasons to work on this.

For what it's worth, he averaged the most SuperCoach points of any player in his drafting year of the National Championships...albeit playing in Division 2. To say he lacks the talent is a ridiculous call.

mcs
17th June 2015, 10:02 AM
Nankervis seems a very similar player to Goldstein, perhaps more aggressive. Both good overhead, both lovely, long, left-foot kicks, both decent below their knees.

I'd assume endurance would be one of his main issues and there's no doubt he will be given at least 1, if not 2 pre-seasons to work on this.

For what it's worth, he averaged the most SuperCoach points of any player in his drafting year of the National Championships...albeit playing in Division 2. To say he lacks the talent is a ridiculous call.

Nankervis to me seems a potential replacement for Tippett - similar style of player. I'd be highly surprised if they cut him at the end of the year, as forward/rucks always take plenty of time to develop. As I said before, I think we are far more likely to be cutting Derricx.

To me, its pretty obvious that we are developing the talls in the ressies (X Richards, A Allir, T Nankevis and S Naismith) on the hope that they will direct replacements in time for Teddy, Grundy, Pyke and maybe Tippett.

- - - Updated - - -

He did an almighty job on some of the '3rd' forwards in the game though - as mentioned by wolftone, Gunston in the Grand Final being one such example. I think some people really underestimate just how much we miss a player of the style of AJ, and also how much our back 6 misses Mattner - although I feel Laidler is proving himself to be a decent replacement at the moment (and I think Newman is a real chance, given time, to find a spot in the back 6).

Conor_Dillon
17th June 2015, 10:48 AM
As I said before, I think we are far more likely to be cutting Derricx.

He is contracted for next season (not sure why we gave him 2 years) so we won't be able to delist him this season.

Puppy Eyes
17th June 2015, 10:48 AM
So as far as I can tell, we're getting rid of Pyke, Dericxzhdrebxca, and Nankervis. Geez I hope Naismith is good and doesn't suffer any injuries!

RogueSwan
17th June 2015, 10:55 AM
So as far as I can tell, we're getting rid of Pyke, Dericxzhdrebxca, and Nankervis. Geez I hope Naismith is good and doesn't suffer any injuries!

That's alright, Goodesy will go back into the ruck for his last year (2016).

mcs
17th June 2015, 11:20 AM
He is contracted for next season (not sure why we gave him 2 years) so we won't be able to delist him this season.

Ok, fair enough - didn't realise they had given him an additional season on top of 2015 in his last contract extension.

Conor_Dillon
17th June 2015, 11:53 AM
Ok, fair enough - didn't realise they had given him an additional season on top of 2015 in his last contract extension.

I don't blame you either...one of the more mystifying extensions. 2015 fair enough but 2016 doesn't seem necessary...unsure why they wouldn't do it 1 year at a time.

Puppy Eyes
17th June 2015, 12:45 PM
Ruckmen. Bloody useless, big, stupid, slow, lumbering, injury prone wastes of space.

But here's the thing. You can't win a flag without one, preferably two, capable ruckmen. Name the last Premiership side to win without 2 ruckmen.

We signed Derickz because if Pyke goes down, he's our next most capable at AFL level.

We persist with Nankervis because if Tippet goes down, he's our next most capable in the forward/ruck role. There is an argument, one I don't necessarily agree with, that says he might be preferable to Tippet right now.

We persist with Naismith because he's the best future prospect. Pyke is 31 and will be 32 at the start of next year. He remains our best ruckman as it stands but that won't be for much longer. We can ill afford to delist any talls at this stage.

Mug Punter
17th June 2015, 01:39 PM
One of the problems I have with people making astounding assumptions without even one bit of evidence is that it is assumption. For a start you never mentioned Marsh. You assume Aliir will be cut yet Aliir is actually very integral to our continued backline dominance. So back off Aliir he is a VERY GOOD player.

Goodes and Shaw as far as I can see are sureties to retire. But I also see that Teddy is not as good as he once was. He is getting more marks and yardage on him than before. He is getting to the expendable stage.

If Birdie is not in our best 26 then I think he might just look at a future elsewhere. Our Western Neighbours might just like to trade for him. I thuink his time here is finished. The reason, because he is not flexible. He can play mids and maybe forward if that and that is all.

Jetta is not o the table. He wants to stay by the way. Why does everybody believe an article from the year after he was drafted when he was homesick (the club sent him home in the mid season break) to say he wants to go home? @@@@ing stupid rationalisation seeing he has said already he wants to win premierships with Swans.

There are others on our list that may be up for de-listing too. for a start Mike Pyke is not far from retiring and there have been a few instances this year, including last week, that worry me. He doesn't get enough possessions or disposals around the ground. His disposals this year have been some of the worst for a ruckman and his taps to advantage are not huge either. We need to look beyond Pykie.

Tom Derrickx was wonderful for a season but hasn't been able to get a spot in the seniors. I don't think he will.

As much as it is distasteful for me to say Alex Johnson is at this stage in limbo. There is no player who has returned from this sort of lay off and actually had a successful career. So thecodds are against him. If his injury comes good by the pre-season next year he might be retained but I think it would be really foolish if the club were to risk his comeback after the mid season break. Morribito has suffered a similar fate and now is seen as just depth if that. Next year he will be de-listed. AJ, as good as he was, cannot expect the Swans to wait. I love the guy and hope he comes back but if he is not ready to go by pre-season next year then I think the club should cut him loose. sorry folks. I love theguy too, so bloody brave and one of the best players I have ever seen.

Whatever.....

magic.merkin
17th June 2015, 01:40 PM
Wow wolf went full hyperbole.

AJ was a good young player, who had some great games. Lots of potential. Yes he played on Gunston, and Fasulo. That was 2012, 3 years ago versions of those players. Gunston is a far better player now than he was, and Fasulo hasn't been getting a game. So don't confuse AJ then beating Gunston version 2015.

Nackers needs more time, won't be going anywhere.

Aliir will go around again.

Doubt delisting AJ comes with any risk picking him back up for rookie list. I doubt a club would take him due to his injuries, and surely, surely there is some honour amongst thieves and no club would take him away from where he wants to be and what he is going through there (unless he wants to return to Melbz). This would be some real bad blood if someone snapped him up.

17th June 2015, 02:13 PM
.........Doubt delisting AJ comes with any risk picking him back up for rookie list. I doubt a club would take him due to his injuries, and surely, surely there is some honour amongst thieves and no club would take him away from where he wants to be and what he is going through there (unless he wants to return to Melbz). This would be some real bad blood if someone snapped him up.

Collingwood anyone? :-)

Or the VFL will make a rule, applying only to us, that we can't rookie our own delisted player!

Scottee
17th June 2015, 05:09 PM
My shortlist would be:

Certain: Shaw
Almost Certain: Goodes

Possible:
Derickx (but not if Pyke retires or is injured, may not chance Nankervis and/or Naismith being ready).
Marsh (probably depends on the rest of the seasons form in the ressies)
Bird (don't want him to go but he may decide he needs to).
Rohan (just putting it out there, he seems to be struggling atm to find form and fitness)
Reid (if we are hanging on to Tippett is he really a high priority player, again,just putting it out there)
BJ- (he needs to improve his awareness and field /goal kicking, can't fault anything else)
Towers- (if his current ressies form is just a flash in the pan and Rohan stays)
AJ- Rooky list

dimelb
17th June 2015, 05:17 PM
Rohan? Struggling?

I wish some others would struggle like that!

And Reid? Words fail me. :hmmmm2:

Conor_Dillon
17th June 2015, 05:28 PM
Rohan? Struggling?

I wish some others would struggle like that!

And Reid? Words fail me. :hmmmm2:

Rohan is the best forward pressure player in the league and he's just starting to hit the scoreboard. One of our more important players.

Similarly to Reid...he can play every position on the ground which obviously makes us much more flexible. I'm still very bullish on Reid developing into a gun CHB in the years to come.

17th June 2015, 06:02 PM
Reid has looked very comfortable down back recently. I reckon he will settle into CHB in the next year or so and be a very good one with his hands, height, agility and that long spoiling reach.

Rohan won't be seen in anything other than a Swans Guernsey in the foreseeable future. He's just starting to look better after his injury and there's so much upside to his game which is quite unique.

AJ will be given time, BJ another year to prove himself, Bird may move himself on, Marsh either makes it this year or is gone IMO.

Scottee
17th June 2015, 10:05 PM
Sorry people. Somehow misread this thread as including trades. No way I would delist either Rohan or Reid. In fact I love them both in the side. Just thinking that with the situation the club is in it might need to trade players you would not expect to trade ala Schneider and Dempster.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd June 2015, 10:16 PM

I've been saying that all season but people still seem to think we need more defenders. We'll have defenders coming out of our ears in a few years time. If we do take one it'll be a ready to go FA or a delisted KPD who can fill the gap until some of these defenders develop. I think we could do with another ruckman however, even if it is only for depth behind Naismith and Nankervis.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd June 2015, 10:19 PM

A straight swap for McGovern would be acceptable. His old man did play for us after all.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd June 2015, 11:19 PM

Crickey Barry. He was only 19 in the GF and was amongst the best players on the ground. How any 19 year olds tall backmen would show the ability and maturity that he showed that year. And above all, to perform so well in a GF at such a young age shows that he has that quality that, usually, only the guns of the game possess.

Doctor
24th June 2015, 12:26 AM
Crickey Barry. He was only 19 in the GF and was amongst the best players on the ground. How any 19 year olds tall backmen would show the ability and maturity that he showed that year. And above all, to perform so well in a GF at such a young age shows that he has that quality that, usually, only the guns of the game possess.

All true but that doesn't make him the best ever, just shows that he MIGHT have had the potential to be one of the great defenders. That's it.

"Oh yes, I'm the great defender!"

Meg
24th June 2015, 01:30 AM
All true but that doesn't make him the best ever, just shows that he MIGHT have had the potential to be one of the great defenders. That's it.

"Oh yes, I'm the great defender!"

"I've played the game but to my real shame
You've left me to grieve all alone"

Could be what the boys were singing after last year's GF?

CureTheSane
24th June 2015, 12:03 PM
Can't believe I'm posting on a thread like this at this point of the season, but here's my take on AJ.
He was great, with a massive future.
Unfortunately, I doubt he'll make it back now.
After so long out, it will be hard both physically and mentally.
Of course I hope he does, but to me it just seems unlikely, and I suspect that will be remembered as a player who was denied a future, but one who took a premiership medallion.

AnnieH
24th June 2015, 12:32 PM
It is seriously far too early to be talking delistings.
How bored are you people?
Go outside and play.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't believe I'm posting on a thread like this at this point of the season, but here's my take on AJ.
He was great, with a massive future.
Unfortunately, I doubt he'll make it back now.
After so long out, it will be hard both physically and mentally.
Of course I hope he does, but to me it just seems unlikely, and I suspect that will be remembered as a player who was denied a future, but one who took a premiership medallion.

Shades of Fitzy... but without the medallion.

CureTheSane
24th June 2015, 01:20 PM
Remember Gareth John?

Muffler
24th June 2015, 01:50 PM
If AJ makes any sort of comeback it will be an achievement in itself. I'm not expecting him to play another game for us. I will forever remember him for that wobbly kick into the middle of the ground just before the siren sounded to deliver us the ultimate glory in 2012.

dimelb
24th June 2015, 04:51 PM
If AJ's return depends on managing hardship both mental and physical, then rest assured it's only a matter of time.

And I look forward to it eagerly.

Doctor
24th June 2015, 11:06 PM
It is seriously far too early to be talking delistings.
How bored are you people?
Go outside and play.

This!

Conor_Dillon
25th June 2015, 09:14 AM
If AJ's return depends on managing hardship both mental and physical, then rest assured it's only a matter of time.

Agree 100%...he hasn't come this far to not make it back. The only thing stopping him will be if the reco doesn't work. Once he is able to run and train etc. he will be able to get his fitness back in no time, after everything he has been through that will be the easy bit! Not to mention he will be aided by world class fitness professionals and doctors.

chalbilto
25th June 2015, 03:59 PM

My gut feeling is that he will make a successful return and I will be cheering loudly when he does.