PDA

View Full Version : Match Thread Semi Final: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos

ugg
19th September 2015, 06:59 PM
Rose in for Jack
Sub Jones

Turner in for Nahas
Sub Thomas

Wow!

aguy
19th September 2015, 07:00 PM
Roses first full game. Does that mean he will score 12 goals ?

paper_rival
19th September 2015, 07:01 PM
Woo got my wish for rose! Not even sub. Wow

mcs
19th September 2015, 07:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing Rose go around - hope the occasion doesn't get to him.

Could be enjoyable to see us playing with 2 small/med forwards in Heeney and Rose - don't tell me it might just click with horse finally that you cant just rely on huge guys up front.

Carn the bloods - send the Kangapoos back where they came from with their tail between their legs again :)

liz
19th September 2015, 07:08 PM
Anything up with Jack? Or just a mix up of the playing group?

jetts32
19th September 2015, 07:09 PM
I like the Rose is in, adds a little to the forward line without Reidy and Buddy.

Towers and Rose will add a little X factor to the forward line.

Meg
19th September 2015, 07:10 PM
Now we've got two match threads. Is it possible to delete one before they both get lengthy and we get confused, please?

aguy
19th September 2015, 07:12 PM
It's definitely better balanced with rose in because he had a defender come back in smithy. That's prob also why jones is sub for balance. He will be a permanent selection next year without shaw

Ludwig
19th September 2015, 07:28 PM
We brought in Rose so that Towers will think it's a NEAFL game and play a blinder. :smile:

The fact that Rose is starting is the shock. It shows that Horse is thinking we need to go full on X factor (surprised X Richards wasn't selected :hmmm).

Auntie.Gerald
19th September 2015, 07:29 PM
my guess is we will see Towers moving up to the wing / midfield more and that way Rose can stay in the forward half

Towers was very good in finding the ball and posting up for a give and go last two weeks but was not accurate into the goals

Rose is a goal sneak and we need the points as an early lead in the wet will be crucial

then bring on jones to shut it down :)

annew
19th September 2015, 07:30 PM
Very inexperienced forward line, Rose, Heeney and Towers wouldn't be 40 games between them all.

veramex
19th September 2015, 07:30 PM
Love the red and white lights as you walk out from the train station. And a red and white band swinging away. Go the bloods!

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 07:52 PM
Really shocked but extremely happy with the change! Didn't think the Swans had it in them to make a daring tactical move for a final! As said already, its a very inexperienced forward line but hopefully we can overcome that with some youthful excitement and x factor! Would love to see young Rose or Heeney make a name for themselves and be the difference in a final!

Go bloods, I'm much more excited about tonight's game now! ????

erica
19th September 2015, 07:54 PM
Might not be tactical? Does anyone know if BJack is injured?

jetts32
19th September 2015, 08:04 PM
Nerves are settling in now. Hopefully the young guys really stand up, we can't afford passengers tonight.

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 08:07 PM
:clap:Late change!! Tarrant out for North. Groin issue in warm up! Good for our forwards....:D

treespirit
19th September 2015, 08:33 PM
How many times does McVeigh pick out the loose man in defence??????

Daisi
19th September 2015, 08:36 PM
mmmmm not sure about kicking all the time, would like to see some running from the back line. I think with North being so tall that kicking and marking may not be a good tactic...and our skills are not the best in this area...

I see the C7 commentators are well and truly on the North bandwagon..oh and North are boring

treespirit
19th September 2015, 08:47 PM
Tippett you flog! You're paid to kick those.

Mel_C
19th September 2015, 08:48 PM
I see that the North supporters are still a disgrace booing Goodes. Typical especially after what I witnessed down here in Melbourne.

Have to admit that north supporters seem to be making more noise than our supporters. There are more there than the prelim last year.

North's tackling and pressure has been very good.

Our forward line is struggling!

Daisi
19th September 2015, 08:49 PM
We'd be killing them if we had a forward line...

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2015, 08:52 PM
Great, Brian Taylor is a fan of Matt Stevic! That has the potential truly annoy me by the end of the night.
Goodes, Heeney and Tippett looking sharp and Hannebery seems to be out running the tag. We possibly need a bit more run and Kennedy to start dominating.

Ludwig
19th September 2015, 08:52 PM
Just a mistake-fest so far. Hard to see either team coming close to the Eagles.

We really need Jetta, Rohan, Towers and Cunningham running the ball. No point kicking to a contest. We're going to get outmarked most of the time.

Cheer_Cheer
19th September 2015, 08:53 PM
If we put our best forward in the forward line it would help rather than have him in the ruck.. That would mean Pyke would have to play as ruckman instead of whatever he is doing now..

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 08:54 PM
They had more dominance in the middle so we can count ourselves lucky to be 2 points down. Need to keep up the intensity and hopefully we can break them!

Daisi
19th September 2015, 08:54 PM
Neither team look like they want to win this one...let's face it, either one playing like this would be murdered by the eagles next week.... I fear both teams are just making up the numbers

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 08:56 PM
Four of our best out - and it shows. We - or North - would get smashed next week , so I will not be too worried if we don't win.

treespirit
19th September 2015, 08:56 PM
Neither team look like they want to win this one...let's face it, either one playing like this would be murdered by the eagles next week.... I fear both teams are just making up the numbers

NO doubt about that.

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2015, 08:59 PM
The first of very, very many finals goals for Heeney.

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 08:59 PM
Well done , Isaac - it will probably not count for much this year , but it's good to see the young 'uns getting experience.

Daisi
19th September 2015, 09:03 PM
blah...North look awful, for a team where most of their major players were rested in the final week, they look terrible...West Coast- Hawks Grand final .....I think

treespirit
19th September 2015, 09:08 PM
Tippett you flog! You're paid to kick those.

BUMP!

- - - Updated - - -

Good pressure by both sides, but a terrible game so far.

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 09:12 PM
We are getting killed in the middle! A lot of senior players need to lift!

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 09:14 PM
SBS has got the World Paint-Drying finals on. Gonna switch over , need more excitement.

bennyfabulous
19th September 2015, 09:14 PM
Stevic continues to cheat. What a surprise!

Mel_C
19th September 2015, 09:16 PM
Pyke needs to stop trying to be tough and just get the ball. He could have cost us a goal there.

Jetta looks really lost.

Too many marks inside 50 for them.

We are too inexperienced and it is showing ????.

erica
19th September 2015, 09:20 PM
Jetta's playing like he's already left our team.

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 09:21 PM
Don't worry about not having a forward line! We've got to get it down there first! Getting dominated around stoppages. We're worried about losing Jetta, he's no loss if he doesn't show up for finals!

Daisi
19th September 2015, 09:23 PM
Umpires keeping us in this one...which is totally weird...I guess the ratings will be better next week if Sydney win...Can we get Nick to exchange his pink jumper for a red and white one?

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 09:27 PM
Horse has a plan ! Sadly , it's about which pubs to visit on Monday. We are awful and , barring a miraculous turnaround , we will lose this one.

crackedactor
19th September 2015, 09:28 PM
Boy do we look completely flat. energy levels look poor. Cannot see us getting out of this one.

Ludwig
19th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Jetta's playing like he's already left our team.I noticed he's already got his new West Coast haircut. You'd think he would want to win this one so he can get a free air fare to Perth.

We looked cooked.

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Lucky to be only 15 points down! So much improvement needed, and room for plenty, so if they do, we should win. Mids need to lift, but the last five minutes of second quarter were better. Stop the cross field kicking in defence, and trust your team mates down field, and get it long to them. And kick straight for goal!!

Gary
19th September 2015, 09:33 PM
Just awful ... they aren't great but we are full of passengers who can't pay the fare in a game like this ... Benny is shot, Rose has wilted, Kennedy is hurt, Hanners can't get the ball, Tippett is trying hard without much to show for it, Goodes is Goodes, we are tentative under pressure so nothing sticks because we don't expect it to! Enough pain for this year. But perhaps it is time for a miracle?

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 09:34 PM
Looking like a disappointing end to a disappointing season where almost anything that could go wrong did. We really need a new game plan over summer and a few young players need to step up again if we are any chance of improving next year.

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2015, 09:36 PM
Personally, I expect us to run over the top of them in the second half, with a genuine Bloods performance. But of course, I may be biased.

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 09:48 PM
Tip.....gets the impossible one's! :rolleyes:

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 10:05 PM
A bit better. If only one of our lads can cut his head and come back on bandaged , I'd even give us a chance to win.

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:07 PM
Bloody wasteful! We have had our chances...

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 10:11 PM
If Petrie has to come off , that may work against us. Thomas will be itching to play.

Mel_C
19th September 2015, 10:12 PM
We are playing so much better but just can't score!

Not used to having 2 blondes with long hair in the side. It is hard to distinguish between Heeney and Rose sometimes ????.

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:13 PM
Rampe, while gets a lot of the ball just adds another player with poor skills into our midfield.

Cosmic Wizard
Please take Jetta off and put Jones on!!

stevoswan
That hurt.

Daisi
These umpiring decisions seem to be very random...anyway...North look terrible.....They will get smashed next week.....and the TV ratings will be dire

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 10:15 PM
Please take Jetta off and put Jones on!!

You are a genius. Done......

mcs
19th September 2015, 10:17 PM
These umpiring decisions seem to be very random...anyway...North look terrible.....They will get smashed next week.....and the TV ratings will be dire

The disgraceful interpretation of holding the ball is killing footy.... if you don't correctly dispose of the ball then it is holding the ball if you are being tackled.

Story of our year in that 3rd quarter - lots of chances but so wasteful in front of goal.

Untamed Snark
19th September 2015, 10:18 PM
Jetta's playing like he's already left our team.

Yup.
Completely disinterested.

i'm-uninformed2
19th September 2015, 10:20 PM
Stevic doing his usual routine, more on the ones he's not giving

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:22 PM
Perhaps the club already knows re: Jetta. Very poor last game for the club. We are our own worst enemies and the bull@@@@ trade ban really has killed us as we need to bring in players who have basic football skills but won't be able to. We have the worst skills in the league and unfortunately all of our best players are the main culprits. 37 points in good conditions in 3 qtrs just doesn't cut it in finals. Could you imagine what the score would be like if we were playing Hawthorn! Yes we are missing players but the ones in are so wasteful it wouldn't matter who was up forward! ????

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:25 PM
Skills. Rampe none, Harvey plenty...

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2015, 10:28 PM
Stevic is a disgrace.

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 10:29 PM
Game over.

undy
19th September 2015, 10:29 PM
Wtf was the free for after the poster ?

Swans500
19th September 2015, 10:30 PM
Umpires turned this one...just the last few minutes....thats all...I do not even care...so glad this rotten year is over...

i'm-uninformed2
Stevic should be shot

erica
Game over.

Doesn't matter. West Coast would slaughter us anyway.

bennyfabulous
19th September 2015, 10:31 PM
Stevic is seriously cheating, AFL is a disgrace & the other umpires are weak for not saying something. It's blatantly obvious what's going on. It can't be against the swans on every 50/50 when he's involved. Absolute bull@@@@!

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:31 PM
Game over. ???? Undisciplined and embarrassing performance at home against an average side. Sad effort for most likely Goodes last game. Not to mention poor old Shawy!

bennyfabulous
19th September 2015, 10:38 PM
Sorry it sounds like I'm Stevic bashing, but all the umpires have been @@@@, congrats umpiring department. Job done

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 10:39 PM
The most painful games to watch are not those where we get belted by a much better side , but the ones where we have only ever been a few points behind and you just know we will not turn it around.

paper_rival
19th September 2015, 10:39 PM
What is the free kick count! We wasted chances but geez, doesn't help

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:41 PM
Agree in part but they aren't the ones who can't hit a team mate 20 meters away! These guys don't have day jobs, they are paid a lot of money to be able to kick a football around.

Gary is a warrior. Never gives up on a contest.

bennyfabulous
19th September 2015, 10:42 PM
Also just so u know I believe the umpiring has been a little iffy!

Swansinger
19th September 2015, 10:43 PM
Ooohhh, Goodesy just marked I 50 ! I am so ....un-excited.

Daisi
19th September 2015, 10:46 PM
I don't mind losing this ..we'll have a longer break. Hopefully we will have a better 2016

dejavoodoo44
Looks like the cripple's crusade just ended there. Brave effort though.

bodgie
What a @@@@ game. What a @@@@ way to end the season

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 10:47 PM
Sad........:frown

i'm-uninformed2
19th September 2015, 10:47 PM
This at least helps in the points required for Mills

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 10:49 PM
This at least helps in the points required for Mills
True. About the only positive to come out of this performance tonight. We are way off the top sides...

goswannies
19th September 2015, 10:50 PM
3 more disposals Joey!! Common, you need another 30 possession game to keep the streak alive!!

Mel_C
19th September 2015, 10:53 PM
I hate losing to North but with the team we had in deep down I knew it would happen ????.

Can't see North beating the Eagles.

gravedigger7142
19th September 2015, 10:54 PM
Good bye Jetta. See if the w.a team you go to will put up with your laziness.

Flying South
19th September 2015, 10:55 PM
Lloyd doesn't cut it for me.

jono2707
19th September 2015, 10:56 PM
A home semi next year might be a good idea. 31,000 - what a disgrace. Should have been at the SCG - end of story.

mcs
19th September 2015, 10:59 PM
I hate losing to North but with the team we had in deep down I knew it would happen ????.

Can't see North beating the Eagles.

They'll get thrashed next week like they got thrashed in the prelim last year!

bloodsbigot
19th September 2015, 10:59 PM
God that was painful to watch.

Lewis Jetta screwed us pretty good in this match. Good riddance. Hope you enjoy West Australia you good for nothing @@@@@.

Mike Pyke is done.

I also hate to admit it but it looks like other supporters were right about the Buddy trade. If it turns out that the whole cocaine thing is true, I swear to God...

Beaten fair and square by the 8th placed team. What an embarrassment. And man oh man, swans seriously need to learn how to be mentally tough in the off-season. Other teams too easily get under our skin. We were rattled when they started their psychological warfare in the first quarter.

swannymum
19th September 2015, 11:01 PM
I am now hoping for 2 WA teams in the grand final. 1. North gets done and 2. Hawks get thrashed. Unfortunately Freo are a bit dodgy.

troyjones2525
A home semi next year might be a good idea. 31,000 - what a disgrace. Should have been at the SCG - end of story.
Yep, good riddance to that horrible ground!

Daisi
Of course it should have been at the SCG..It would have been a sell out and a better game ...win lose or draw, the SCG is a great venue for AFL...on second thoughts, it would have meant more money for the AFL...so perhaps it was a good thing it was at Homebush...

Speaking of the AFL and money....I hope they lose a motsa this final series..Their officiating is shameful for a professional sport, the fact that nobody knows what that 50metre penalty was for is just an indication, their random trade bans on Sydney are just laughable, their TV deals and associated commentary teams are a joke, their expansion team in Sydney is a ludicrous money grab and their Victorian Centric attitude is pathetic...for a billion dollar industry, they are just incomprehensibly inept ...

paper_rival
Bar the end, the defence was pretty okay. It was the lack of midfield engine, some talls (not just tall, have you seen buddy move) and that showed in the lack of attacking pressure.
Well done north, almost lost to a half strength team but saved it. Look forward to seeing them get eaten alive by west coast

bloodsbigot
19th September 2015, 11:06 PM
Bar the end, the defence was pretty okay. It was the lack of midfield engine, some talls (not just tall, have you seen buddy move) and that showed in the lack of attacking pressure.
Well done north, almost lost to a half strength team but saved it. Look forward to seeing them get eaten alive by west coast

That's a positive I took out of the game. The defense worked really well. Rampe playing his ass off as usual. 30 possession game.

Kangaroos have a really, really good forward line from what I saw. The score should've been a lot higher. We rebounded heaps of times.

Not sure what's going on with our forward line. I just don't.

I suppose Tippett being used as a ruck because Pyke is so @@@@ is what's hurting us so badly in the forward line. If it weren't of the trade ban, we'd be right up there this year.

Markus26
19th September 2015, 11:07 PM
Jetta has looked lost these finals. He has been around long enough to know he needs to lift. Really frustrated with Pyke too.

swannymum
19th September 2015, 11:08 PM
Too many injuries, with the loss of Jack, Reid, Parker, and Buddy. Wouldn't be surprised quite a few of our "fit" players there tonight are carrying injuries as well.

troyjones2525
19th September 2015, 11:10 PM
Our list looks extremely tired and i know we had 4 out but I feel we are only going to drop down the ladder not push for a flag. Our skills are horrible and the senior players we have aren't going to learn how to kick now! If you can't kick by this stage of your career then it's too late to learn now. Even Parker and K. Jack are extremely suspect by foot and the less said about Sam Reid's kicking the better.

The game has changed and its the highly skilled teams that know how to move the ball quick are the ones that are premiership threats not the low scoring defensive game we play.

We have a lot of work to do and plenty of list turnover before we can play that style of football and really challenge again.

Markus26
19th September 2015, 11:10 PM
Well the Kangas have set the benchmark. Resting half your team before the finals should be the new norm in 2016.

caj23
19th September 2015, 11:11 PM
Don't stress peeps we were never going to go all the way with jack Parker Reid and bud out.
We reload for next year and take the extra draft points to nab mills

paper_rival
19th September 2015, 11:15 PM
That's a positive I took out of the game. The defense worked really well. Rampe playing his ass off as usual. 30 possession game.

Kangaroos have a really, really good forward line from what I saw. The score should've been a lot higher. We rebounded heaps of times.

Not sure what's going on with our forward line. I just don't.

I suppose Tippett being used as a ruck because Pyke is so @@@@ is what's hurting us so badly in the forward line. If it weren't of the trade ban, we'd be right up there this year.

Yeah, the score and game reflected the paper teams to be honest.

Pyke is done. He's so effing slow. Defensive pressure zero.

God we missed Sammy, he tries his heart out and chases hard.

AND THE TRADE BAN. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems. This topic has been done to death but maaan. Unbelievably unfair. Hopefully this result shows we DO need the ability to trade properly

gazza
19th September 2015, 11:20 PM
we need a high draft pick jetta to get mills

Ludwig
19th September 2015, 11:21 PM
It's been a crap season and I'm glad it's over. In the end we looked a shambles and we were. The quality of the game was worthy of Carlton-Melbourne match.

I'm angry at myself for having spoken so highly of Lewis Jetta. I too will be glad to see him go.
Goodes is still close to our best player. I think he should retire nonetheless for his own well being.
Those last few games in the regular season flattered us due to the poor opposition. We were back to our usual poor decision making poor disposal selves that was on display most of the year. This team needs a serious shakeup for next season.
The trade ban and umpiring are not to blame. We've been a very ordinary team this year in a very ordinary year for footy in general. Will go down as one of the most forgettable premierships regardless who wins.
I hate ruckmen. What a waste of space. Get rid of Pyke and Derickx. Forget Leuenberger. Towers is our best ruckman.

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 11:25 PM

Gerard Whately said on ABC Grandstand before the game that it should have been at the SCG, "there would be 50,000 there and the house would be pumping!" and added, "so we've all been let down a bit there.".......and we would have probably won as well! Good riddance to that crappy soulless arena forever. Edit; They're saying on ABC from the Swans rooms that Adam Goodes is teary and hugging Micky O and others and looks like this might be it for the great man. Sad way to end. CHAMPION FOREVER!!

chalbilto
19th September 2015, 11:28 PM
Can't say I am shattered, disappointed yes, disheartened no. Didn't expect but hoping to win seeing the players out. Good points didn't have a 71 point thrashing when considered favorites, extra draft points for Mills and hopefully get Dunkley. The boys can have a few extra weeks to rest. The game plan will be scrutinized and re-jigged. Fingers crossed Buddy will be back bigger, stronger and motivated. I hope to see improvement in the younger players who debuted this season. All in all I am looking forward to 2016. Finally I hope that Goodesy has a great retirement and will be remembered and revered as a great of the club.

bodgie
19th September 2015, 11:35 PM
What did Mitchell do or not do that he copped that abuse from Longmire? It looked like bullying to me.

i'm-uninformed2
19th September 2015, 11:35 PM
Chalbito, I know your motivation is good so not trying to argue but Goodes should be revered as a great of the game, not the club.

chalbilto
19th September 2015, 11:37 PM
Chalbito, I know your motivation is good so not trying to argue but Goodes should be revered as a great of the game, not the club.

I agree and I am sure he will be.

paper_rival
19th September 2015, 11:39 PM
Goodesy retired ????

crackedactor
19th September 2015, 11:40 PM
looks like last game for goodsey judging by change rooms emotions. Never seen our backline look so disorganized. Not looking good for next year. I hope we get Leunenberger. but for $450 k I doubt it.

Daisi
I'm tearing up here...Adam Goodes, a champion of the club, the game and the country...farewell Adam and thanks

Scottee
Goodsey has retired!! Life will never be the same again.

stevoswan
19th September 2015, 11:41 PM
Not happy with this result of course, but sort of relieved this frustrating season is over frankly. The A(V)FL have made it a challenge to enjoy our team and footy in general. Not to mention our teams annoying skill level. Really sad for Goodesy! Lots to work on in an at least longer off season. Roll on T20 Big Bash!

Scottee
19th September 2015, 11:41 PM
Gerard Whately said on ABC Grandstand before the game that it should have been at the SCG, "there would be 50,000 there and the house would be pumping!" and added, "so we've all been let down a bit there.".......and we would have probably won as well! Good riddance to that crappy soulless arena forever. Edit; They're saying on ABC from the Swans rooms that Adam Goodes is teary and hugging Micky O and others and looks like this might be it for the great man. Sad way to end. CHAMPION FOREVER!!
Mickey O teary as well.

swannymum
19th September 2015, 11:42 PM
Very proud of you Adam ????

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2015, 11:45 PM
Adam Goodes: Legend of the game.

bodgie
19th September 2015, 11:45 PM
Confirmed or just assumed?

gossipcom
19th September 2015, 11:47 PM
Confirmed or just assumed?

Confirmed on the Swans Twitter feed.

Thanks for the memories Goodes. Shall remember them!

bodgie
19th September 2015, 11:48 PM
Wow. Thanks so much for everything you've done Goodesy!

crackedactor
19th September 2015, 11:49 PM
Its confirmed on twitter. Great champion. Not sad to see Lewis Jetta go. Obviously he decided to leave Sydney and could not give a stuff in the two finals games. Real attitude problem.

Meg
19th September 2015, 11:52 PM
Am I right in saying Adam kicked both our first and last goals? So upset that he was not given the farewell he deserved.

19th September 2015, 11:59 PM
Am I right in saying Adam kicked both our first and last goals? So upset that he was not given the farewell he deserved.
He strikes me as unassuming & selfless. He might have gone out the way he wanted (well maybe a premiership was the way he really wanted, but doesn't need the immediate public acknowledgement right now - the plaudits will come).

aardvark
20th September 2015, 12:03 AM
No Swans in the prelim finals and Goodesy gone. Congratulations AFL you got what you wanted.

troyjones2525
20th September 2015, 12:14 AM
Goodbye Goodesy! You were one of the few who had a go this finals series but the time is definitely right.

Hopefully young Mills turns out to be the player we all think he is because he's going to need to be to lift the side up next year!

And on Dunkley Jnr, I for one hope we dont draft him. He's another with average at best disposal. But then again, he fits the profile of what our recruiting staff like so no doubt he'll be another slow paced butcherer of the ball on the Swans list next year!

aardvark
20th September 2015, 12:24 AM
Geez I hope McPointy retires as captain and after tonight i'll be glad to see you gone Jetta.

troyjones2525
20th September 2015, 12:33 AM
It's been a crap season and I'm glad it's over. In the end we looked a shambles and we were. The quality of the game was worthy of Carlton-Melbourne match.

I'm angry at myself for having spoken so highly of Lewis Jetta. I too will be glad to see him go.
Goodes is still close to our best player. I think he should retire nonetheless for his own well being.
Those last few games in the regular season flattered us due to the poor opposition. We were back to our usual poor decision making poor disposal selves that was on display most of the year. This team needs a serious shakeup for next season.
The trade ban and umpiring are not to blame. We've been a very ordinary team this year in a very ordinary year for footy in general. Will go down as one of the most forgettable premierships regardless who wins.
I hate ruckmen. What a waste of space. Get rid of Pyke and Derickx. Forget Leuenberger. Towers is our best ruckman.

Spot on Ludwig.

dimelb
20th September 2015, 12:49 AM
This is the way the season ends - not with a bang but a whimper.

Nor should that surprise anyone. I cannot believe the loss of perspective in some of the posts tonight. North are a decent team (won't stop them being flushed by WC) and with our significant array of outs we were always unlikely to win, and so it turned out.

It has been an up-and-down season, really exciting and efficient at our best, clumsy at our worst and mediocre all too often. Even so we were good enough to beat Hawthorn when we had a full squad - and not surprisingly lose when we didn't. It would be worth another thread to look back over the season - perhaps someone will start it.

Adam played a fine game to finish, including first and last goals of the game, and we are privileged to have watched him over all those seasons. Champion player, champion bloke, and our best wishes for the future. Also farewell to Rhyce - a good game tonight (not without the inevitable clanger!) and again we wish him well for whatever lies ahead.

If we can keep all our players on the park for most of the time the future still looks promising - but for heaven's sake practise kicking over the break!

Bazman
20th September 2015, 12:54 AM

"The party's over its time to call it a day" Ive been a Swans supporter for a hell of a line and I can honestly say thank god that's seasons over. Sad to see Adam go but happy for him. What a true champion and very proud of the way he carried himself against the ugliness that's out there. They should be truly ashamed of themselves. Truly I wont miss jetta lazy bastard. I hate the Afl for trying to screw us to the wall. "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" or can we, we did in 2005

goswannies
20th September 2015, 12:58 AM
siiiigh just got back to the hotel & it's 11:57pm & I have to be up in just under 5 hours for my flight back for work.

I'm sad to see Shawrey & Goodsey play their last games. But I was there for their farewells.
I am proud of the boys for their season. There were losses & adversity. But the club & the players stood as one & held their heads high with pride & stood by each other.

Many supporters will be hurting tonight. The players will be hurting more. There will always be hope for next year.

I am proud of the boys & the club.

Thank you for another wonderful ride. Hope there is an extra stop (or two) next year

Good night RWO

Panttz
20th September 2015, 01:00 AM
Just on the game, can anyone come up with a good reason for why Jones was the sub?

blackdeathmetal
20th September 2015, 01:04 AM
Well as the 2015 season draws to an end for us, I can't deny that it's somewhat relieving as it is disappointing. This year feels a bit like 2013 and we really do have a few issues to sort out in regards to kicking and structure. On a positive note we do have a few young guns who, with experience, can provide an exciting future for our team. Congratulations and thank you to Goodes and Shaw for your services. I hope both stay with the Swans in some capacity off the field. I heard that Rhyce Shaw would become our defensive coach or something similar after retirement. Can anyone confirm this?

troyjones2525
20th September 2015, 01:25 AM
Just on the game, can anyone come up with a good reason for why Jones was the sub?
Not sure who else they could have chosen with the match ups as they no doubt hoped that young Rose would come in and provide a spark like he did against GWS. It didn't work but I'm glad they had the balls to give it a go. He'll be better next year for the experience and hopefully it drives him over the summer.

And Jones will no doubt be a regular next year with Shaw retiring so hope he has a big summer too like the rest of them! And it's goodbye and good riddance to the vest now anyway so he and Jetta have the pleasure of being the final swans in green and red!

ASSASSIN
20th September 2015, 05:13 AM
The club needs a major shake up - and let's face facts, that was evident during and after lasts years GF. Many basic skills like just picking up the damn ball, is non existent at the swans now. Can't do much if it takes a player/s 2,3,4 goes out just picking the ball up. Jetta is lazzzzyyyyy - maybe he wanted to be released. Daniel Hannebery is to slowwww and grundy as well.
OMG basically the clib needs a clean out. Too many blowouts now in recent history.

Goodes has been awesome for the club. Thanks for the memories Goodes!!

Better luck next year

Captain
20th September 2015, 08:06 AM
Very disappointed with this loss.

Jetta and Pyke were both putrid. The sooner Jetta goes and the sooner we get a decent ruckman the better.

Jones, whilst young, cost us a huge amount of momentum with that brain fade of a kick across goal. I just don't rate the guy, is a battler but nothing special.

Tippett was awesome, finally starting to show why we paid him the big bucks. Goodes is just all class and will leave a huge hole in our team.

Onwards to next year. Given we were only missing 4 players of our best 22, time to go out and get some key personnel. Ruckman, young key position forward, key position defender and a small forward.

Hotpotato
20th September 2015, 08:14 AM
That wasn't any fun being in a in a sea of smelly North supporters while we continued with the goal kicking yips and not lowering eyes and a bit too much playing the man and not finding the ball.

Rohan did his best to ignite the team, so did Goodesy , but Pyke can barely jump now, they looked whacked after the trip west, North were freshened up big time and our four big outs made a big difference.

Best wishes to Lance for a full recovery.

Thank you Adam Goodes , have a great holiday with Nat , first I've heard of her, but I'm really happy for you , and to be honest somewhat relieved you don't have your final game against West Coast for obvious reasons.
Yep , flick the Brownlow, stuff the Grand Final Parade, just enjoy a well deserved holiday with no pre-season to worry about for the first time in 17 years .
That must feel good.

The curtain comes down on a fantastic journey in the red and white .
Thank you from the Dodd family .
We loved every minute of it .

barry
20th September 2015, 08:59 AM
Norths resting of players again pay dividends.

I wonder why we didn't play Nankervis?

gravedigger7142
20th September 2015, 09:10 AM
Adam Goodies I thank you for what you have done for our club. As a member for many years there are players that made me want to tear up my membership. But never you. Always tried hard and brought others into the game ......enjoy your future.
Also we shouldn't forget Reeve Shaw. Although this year has been a challenge for him, previous years have seen him called a star and a mainstay of defence...thanks Reece time to rest the legs.
To Jetta the bludger, pike the tortis, hannerbry the butcher, mcglynn and Grundy if he has to keep playing as a backman, I wish you well as you go out our door because that should be the direction you are sent

dejavoodoo44
20th September 2015, 09:12 AM
siiiigh just got back to the hotel & it's 11:57pm & I have to be up in just under 5 hours for my flight back for work.

I'm sad to see Shawrey & Goodsey play their last games. But I was there for their farewells.
I am proud of the boys for their season. There were losses & adversity. But the club & the players stood as one & held their heads high with pride & stood by each other.

Many supporters will be hurting tonight. The players will be hurting more. There will always be hope for next year.

I am proud of the boys & the club.

Thank you for another wonderful ride. Hope there is an extra stop (or two) next year

Good night RWO

Well said.

ugg
20th September 2015, 10:09 AM
Heard Rohan had to go to hospital for surgery after his clash with Petrie. Not sure what the exact diagnosis is but there was some serious damage done to his face

stellation
20th September 2015, 10:20 AM
Heard Rohan had to go to hospital for surgery after his clash with Petrie. Not sure what the exact diagnosis is but there was some serious damage done to his face
It was a horrible collision, I was quite concerned for him and have been waiting hopefully to see some form of banal social media update from the club to say "he's okay!"

Panttz
20th September 2015, 11:14 AM
Broken eye socket I heard.

YvonneH
20th September 2015, 11:50 AM
Gary and Isaac are their own worst enemies through their bravery (or maybe reckless regard for their own safety).
May they have long careers and look after themselves a little better.

monopoly19
20th September 2015, 12:23 PM
Re: Rohan Jed Lamb on Twitter: "Get around the rooster ????! Still has a modelling career ahead of him @IMGmodels @RohanGary #openyoureye #pirate http://t.co/V6bMbU0iaf" (https://twitter.com/jedlambb/status/645399713563283461)

Poor guy.

swannymum
20th September 2015, 01:44 PM
The comments relating to Dan are harsh, and supporters are very hard to please. He usually has someone grabbing him before he gets the ball. He won the 2015 Coaches Award. You should be regretting your comments in the heat of the moment.

Swanny40519
20th September 2015, 02:16 PM
Like a lot of people here I am glad this season is over.

It has been frustrating to watch and I am sure the same feeling for the players - we have fumbled and staggered through most games and against the top 4 sides mostly struggled except for one great win against the Dawkes early in the season.

Jetta turned off the jets early in the year and did not fire up at all. Pyke struggles to get off the ground and cannot ruck out a full game. Plus we now have a number of inexperienced players in the team that will take some time to settle into the team.

I think Horse needs to focus 1000% on skills over summer as we have looked pretty bad all year. We need to change our game plan and become more attacking like the Eagles and Bulldogs. Next year with reduced rotations, there will be higher scoring games and we cannot have all players running around the ball like an under 10's game of football.

Goodes will be missed but I am glad he has retired as I was disgusted by the loud booing last night by the Norf supporters.

Bring on 2016.

stevoswan
20th September 2015, 06:22 PM
Very disappointed with this loss.

Jetta and Pyke were both putrid. The sooner Jetta goes and the sooner we get a decent ruckman the better.

Jones, whilst young, cost us a huge amount of momentum with that brain fade of a kick across goal. I just don't rate the guy, is a battler but nothing special.

Tippett was awesome, finally starting to show why we paid him the big bucks. Goodes is just all class and will leave a huge hole in our team.

Onwards to next year. Given we were only missing 4 players of our best 22, time to go out and get some key personnel. Ruckman, young key position forward, key position defender and a small forward.

As long as they're cheap! It will be a challenge.

snajik
20th September 2015, 06:33 PM
Of course it should have been at the SCG..It would have been a sell out and a better game ...win lose or draw, the SCG is a great venue for AFL...on second thoughts, it would have meant more money for the AFL...so perhaps it was a good thing it was at Homebush...

Speaking of the AFL and money....I hope they lose a motsa this final series..Their officiating is shameful for a professional sport, the fact that nobody knows what that 50metre penalty was for is just an indication, their random trade bans on Sydney are just laughable, their TV deals and associated commentary teams are a joke, their expansion team in Sydney is a ludicrous money grab and their Victorian Centric attitude is pathetic...for a billion dollar industry, they are just incomprehensibly inept ...

The 50 metre penalty was for an interchange infringement. Technically it was there i guess, but it came on the back of a run of overzealous free kicks against us. Knocked on the head any momentum we may have had. Still it wasn't instrumental in our defeat.We did enough to lose it without the outside factors.

stevoswan
20th September 2015, 06:34 PM
Adam Goodies I thank you for what you have done for our club. As a member for many years there are players that made me want to tear up my membership. But never you. Always tried hard and brought others into the game ......enjoy your future.
Also we shouldn't forget Reeve Shaw. Although this year has been a challenge for him, previous years have seen him called a star and a mainstay of defence...thanks Reece time to rest the legs.
To Jetta the bludger, pike the tortis, hannerbry the butcher, mcglynn and Grundy if he has to keep playing as a backman, I wish you well as you go out our door because that should be the direction you are sent

Agree with you're assertions on Jetta and Pyke, maybe McGlynn(always injured), but you're a bit harsh on Hanners and Reg. Reg out the door leaves our defence a bit bare(remember that trade ban!), and Hanners, well he does need to work on his disposal, but that's just silly to show him the door. The AFL coaches certainly disagree with you. As for Goodesy and Shawry, your words are spot on.......and I echo them.

bodgie
20th September 2015, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping that Pyke didn't have time to recover from his knee problems. He needs to get better or he is a goner.

Doctor
20th September 2015, 07:45 PM

Harsh and unfair. I'm disappointed that we lost but you need everything to go right to contend for a premiership and we didn't have that this year. Key injuries during the season and then again at finals time. It's a lot easier for North to muzzle Hannebery when they don't have to worry about Parker and Jack too. Pyke has been giving it his all with a crook knee and McGLynn has been out most of the season. Jetta was a disappointment but he has been one of our most consistent this season, as has Grundy (who just became a father, which might explain an off night - Kennedy has gotten better this season as his baby has gotten older).

Triple B
20th September 2015, 07:48 PM
The 50 metre penalty was for an interchange infringement. Technically it was there i guess...

Are you sure about that?

I saw Stevic signalling like a high infringement and the emergency umpire was out running around in the area.
No sign of the interchange steward and the orange flag they usually hold up that I could see.

If you say it was there I guess you must have seen it. Massive error. Do you know who infringed?

ugg
20th September 2015, 07:54 PM
I fast forwarded through the replay to see what happened. Heeney grabbed MacMillan around the back collar and flung him aside. Macmillan went down quicker than an Australian PM and just as luck would have it it occurred a split second before Gibson had his shot at goal. Technically there but very much exacerbated by macmillan's falling skills

I'm guessing if it was a split second after the behind would have stood and the free kick would have been from where the infringement occurred

goswannies
20th September 2015, 08:04 PM
Did anyone record - still have - the weekend's final against North? If so, do you also have a DVD recorder enabling it to be copied onto a DVD (preferably dual layer) or USB stick?

I usually record the free to air games, but in my rush to get over to Sydney for the match, i forgot :(

I can send the disc or USB stick & return postage

Hope someone can help

mcs
20th September 2015, 08:09 PM
I fast forwarded through the replay to see what happened. Heeney grabbed MacMillan around the back collar and flung him aside. Macmillan went down quicker than an Australian PM and just as luck would have it it occurred a split second before Gibson had his shot at goal. Technically there but very much exacerbated by macmillan's falling skills

I'm guessing if it was a split second after the behind would have stood and the free kick would have been from where the infringement occurred

Absolutely stupid drafting of the laws as it current is.

RogueSwan
20th September 2015, 09:04 PM
A disappointing game, North took their chances and apart from Tippo we didn't have a forward line to take any chances. A lot of posters are full of gloom after one bad final game. You need a lot of luck to win a Premiership and this year it didn't roll our way.
As for calling for a new game plan, that happens every year, don't fall for the media's labeling of our style. It has been a long time since 2005 but that is his the media still sees our game style. Watch a game from back then, it'll make you feel better but also show how much the swans game style has changed.

crackedactor
20th September 2015, 10:19 PM
A disappointing game, North took their chances and apart from Tippo we didn't have a forward line to take any chances. A lot of posters are full of gloom after one bad final game. You need a lot of luck to win a Premiership and this year it didn't roll our way.
As for calling for a new game plan, that happens every year, don't fall for the media's labeling of our style. It has been a long time since 2005 but that is his the media still sees our game style. Watch a game from back then, it'll make you feel better but also show how much the swans game style has changed.
Look on the Bright Side....Just listened to two radio stations on next year's predictions. Both stations saying the Swans will drop out of the top eight next year and won't play finals for a few years to come. Always a good sign for us.

AnnieH
21st September 2015, 09:45 AM
Bye Jetts. Don't slam the door on the way out.
Seriously? Does he think they're going to fight over him over in the west?
He'll be lucky to play in the local league.

We were never going to win that one.
I'm just glad that Goodesy got to say goodbye at home.

snajik
23rd September 2015, 07:20 AM
Are you sure about that?

I saw Stevic signalling like a high infringement and the emergency umpire was out running around in the area.
No sign of the interchange steward and the orange flag they usually hold up that I could see.

If you say it was there I guess you must have seen it. Massive error. Do you know who infringed?

No, I'm not sure! And looks as though i may need to stand corrected. My source was the fellow sitting next to me at the game who was also listening to the commentary on his headphones. Misplaced faith in commentators it seems.

dimelb
23rd September 2015, 09:20 AM
Bye Jetts. Don't slam the door on the way out.
Seriously? Does he think they're going to fight over him over in the west?
He'll be lucky to play in the local league.

We were never going to win that one.
I'm just glad that Goodesy got to say goodbye at home.

I've been thinking about Jetts' situation. I read somewhere that the push to return to the west was coming mainly from his parents. At the same time it seemed to me that he really liked being in Sydney and loved being part of the Swans. If that is so, he would be a highly conflicted young man, and I personally would find that kind of pressure hard to manage. It's not surprising that it might impact on his performance.

The disappointing thing for me is that we are apparently not over the go-home factor, or at least not altogether. It's a reminder - as if we needed one - of how important the Academy structure is.

YvonneH
23rd September 2015, 09:31 AM
The disappointing thing for me is that we are apparently not over the go-home factor, or at least not altogether. It's a reminder - as if we needed one - of how important the Academy structure is.

I agree with this assumption, but there is another side. Maybe once the academy boys have played a couple of years in the AFL (especially if they turn out to be very good players), they may want to go to an AFL state where footy is the religion and play in front of hugh crowds.

Doctor J.
23rd September 2015, 09:46 AM
I agree with this assumption, but there is another side. Maybe once the academy boys have played a couple of years in the AFL (especially if they turn out to be very good players), they may want to go to an AFL state where footy is the religion and play in front of hugh crowds.

Good old Hughie :) Everyone loves performing in front of Hughie

All jokes aside, Sydney crowds aren't too shabby. 2014 We had average crowds better than 9 other teams 2015 better than 8 other teams.

Triple B
23rd September 2015, 10:16 AM
No, I'm not sure! And looks as though i may need to stand corrected. My source was the fellow sitting next to me at the game who was also listening to the commentary on his headphones. Misplaced faith in commentators it seems.

Lol...commentators will definitely bring you undone. Jono Brown had Martin Pike handballing to Leroy Jetta a few weeks back. Clueless...

AnnieH
23rd September 2015, 10:59 AM
I've been thinking about Jetts' situation. I read somewhere that the push to return to the west was coming mainly from his parents. At the same time it seemed to me that he really liked being in Sydney and loved being part of the Swans. If that is so, he would be a highly conflicted young man, and I personally would find that kind of pressure hard to manage. It's not surprising that it might impact on his performance.

It's his father that wants him home.
Seriously. Let go of the apron strings.
Lewis is a man who can make his own decisions.

You only have a short window to play AFL at the top level. His family should just leave him alone and let him get on with it. He has settled in Sydney and settled into the team. If you miss him that much Dad, you should come over here for a few months and stay.

I don't think that Wet Coke or Freo will want his services... not after the dropping off over the last month or so. You'd think he would have turned it on so they could fight over him... but I imagine the pressure of making a decision on where he wants to be next year has obviously had an effect on his game.

If he goes, so be it.
If he stays, that pressure will be off him, and he has the freedom to fire up again.

mcsquirta
25th September 2015, 03:01 PM
I didn't get to see the game for a couple of days, so knowing Adam had already retired made it a bit easier to watch somehow. That last quarter was hard though. The mids looked tired (mentally more than anything) and with Dane moved to our depleted midfield, we just leaked goals. I've still got the hump with Lewis but good luck to him wherever he ends up (Freo wouldn't surprise me).

I'm gonna say goodbye to Goodesy next year, but his last goal is a great way to remember him for now. I just can't help thinking, in better days, that little chip over to him by Rampe probably would have come from Jetta.

71 points is the target, I hope weagles thump norf by 100+. By everything I've heard, their cheersquad end supporters are overly-aggressive, obnoxious scumbags. Not just to Adam but to our supporters.

troyjones2525
25th September 2015, 10:32 PM
Geez I hate Hawthorn but it really shows how much more skilled they are than us! We are extremely poor in that area and get exposed badly against good sides like them.

The Big Cat
25th September 2015, 10:37 PM
Geez I hate Hawthorn but it really shows how much more skilled they are than us! We are extremely poor in that area and get exposed badly against good sides like them.

Hard to beat the Hawks with their extra man Blevic doing his normal bit

Ludwig
25th September 2015, 10:42 PM
Was it Stevic that called that ridiculous free kick against Ballantyne that changed the momentum of the game?

troyjones2525
25th September 2015, 10:46 PM
Yes the umpiring has been poor but it isn't why they are winning! Skill and execution is the reason.

troyjones2525
25th September 2015, 10:50 PM
Skill and execution...geez i hate them! Lol.

troyjones2525
25th September 2015, 11:41 PM
Just looking at how skilled and ruthless they are it really almost feels like, why bother...???? We are so far behind skill wise it's almost embarrassing. And Freo play a similar model to us but probably have more skilled players so just watching Hawthorn dismantle them on their home ground is even more disturbing.

Mel_C
25th September 2015, 11:45 PM
Great Hawks are in the Grand Final again ????. Really debating whether to go to the game. Don't want to be around their arrogant feral supporters! Hoping for the Eagles to win and play against them to make it interesting.

goswannies
25th September 2015, 11:50 PM
Great Hawks are in the Grand Final again ????. Really debating whether to go to the game. Don't want to be around their arrogant feral supporters! Hoping for the Eagles to win and play against them to make it interesting.
I hope it's busy at work on GF day. Don't really want to rush home to watch the Hawks, Eagles or the Roos

barry
25th September 2015, 11:51 PM
Hawthorn get a h9me grand final despite finishing 3rd and losing first final.

Disgraceful.

paper_rival
25th September 2015, 11:52 PM
Hawthorn get a h9me grand final despite finishing 3rd and losing first final.

Disgraceful.

spot on

The Big Cat
25th September 2015, 11:52 PM
Just looking at how skilled and ruthless they are it really almost feels like, why bother...

How about we all just call the club and tell them that they should just shut up shop and fold because the Hawks are so good we don't want to play any more.

25th September 2015, 11:54 PM
Is it over for Pav?

Does Buddy regret the move?

Almost nice to hear the Crowd boo the Hawks. Hopefully Hawks fans can enjoy a few minutes walking in Goodsey boots.

Can't stand West Coast or North ... but please beat those smug Hawks!

troyjones2525
25th September 2015, 11:54 PM
Pretty much what I'm getting at...It's almost like everyone else is playing for 2nd place! I just hope the Eagles can back it up!

paper_rival
25th September 2015, 11:57 PM
uuuuughhhhhhh
commentator (sorry i can't recognise voices sometimes): "you're not supposed to be able to do this with equalisation and everything, you're not supposed to be able to make four grand finals in a row! or win three in a row! but hawthorn are on the verge of that!!"
(except if you're the swans)(or the lions)(or a non-victorian team)

cherub
26th September 2015, 12:02 AM
The umpiring was atrocious. 3 years out of 4 the Hawks prelim wins have been umpire assisted. They are NOT so much better. They are umpired to a different set of rules. I am disgusted with the corruption of the AFL at every level.

Meg
26th September 2015, 12:04 AM
Does Buddy regret the move?

I've been thinking about that too. I really, really hope not.

Much as I've been in the 'anyone but Hawthorn' camp I have to take off my hat to the Hawks. They are such a skilful team.

Rod_
26th September 2015, 12:17 AM
Well The Hawks would not have all the players they have if Buddy was still there. He would have demanded some real $ and others would have had to move on!

Now who will I barrack / cheer for... Hate North 1996 dislike West Coast 2006 and Hawks from 2014.

If I gambled it is different story, Hawks are most likely! (and agree credit where it is due!)

Meg
26th September 2015, 12:30 AM
Now who will I barrack / cheer for... Hate North 1996 dislike West Coast 2006 and Hawks from 2014.

Yes it's a dilemma I agree!

Ludwig
26th September 2015, 12:37 AM
Hawthorn smashed Freo and us in consecutive weeks in July. That was a good indication of where things stood. Fyfe was never the same after the knee he took in that game from Mitchell. And Buddy was never the same after our game against them and only made a few cameo appearances after that.

I think Freo are headed for a serious rebuild. I like our chances next year and going forward because of the some of seriously good young talent coming through the system. I don't know if it will be good enough for next year, but I hope we can have a solid competitive year.

26th September 2015, 12:47 AM
I'd just like to see some recruiting sanctions applied to the Hawks. While money was freed up from Buddy, the have raped & pillaged talent from other clubs like the Vikings of yester year. Sure we picked up a couple of bona fide stars (Buddy & arguably Tippet) most of our other recruits were recycled discards. The Hawks cherry pick top end talent, all too often from bottom end clubs.

chalbilto
26th September 2015, 12:56 AM
One thing that has really stood out this year in the final series and is the X -factor has been the injuries to key players. Apart from Gunstan the Hawks have been blessed. Issac Smith sustained a minor injury where at first it looked that he had a serious one. Unfortunately we were not that lucky with our injuries.

annew
26th September 2015, 11:42 AM
One thing that has really stood out this year in the final series and is the X -factor has been the injuries to key players. Apart from Gunstan the Hawks have been blessed. Issac Smith sustained a minor injury where at first it looked that he had a serious one. Unfortunately we were not that lucky with our injuries.

I would like to know how Hawks avoid injury and all their players can run and run even the old ones. West coast appear to be the same, I will watch Carlton with interest.

liz
26th September 2015, 12:20 PM
I would like to know how Hawks avoid injury and all their players can run and run even the old ones. West coast appear to be the same, I will watch Carlton with interest.

To be fair to the Hawks, they suffered a heavy injury toll last year but they managed to get close to a full squad available by the time the finals came along. This year they've had a pretty reasonable run all year. West Coast have had a reasonable run this year, but bear in mind they've been without two experienced key defenders all year.

We had a decent run with our senior team most of the year. The luck just ran out in the final month or so. Amongst our younger players, things weren't great. This won't have impacted the current year too much, but does mean that players like Naismith, Perris, Melican have missed close to a full year of development opportunity, while Robinson and Newman were also hampered for shorter periods.

annew
26th September 2015, 12:23 PM
To be fair to the Hawks, they suffered a heavy injury toll last year but they managed to get close to a full squad available by the time the finals came along. This year they've had a pretty reasonable run all year. West Coast have had a reasonable run this year, but bear in mind they've been without two experienced key defenders all year.

We had a decent run with our senior team most of the year. The luck just ran out in the final month or so. Amongst our younger players, things weren't great. This won't have impacted the current year too much, but does mean that players like Naismith, Perris, Melican have missed close to a full year of development opportunity, while Robinson and Newman were also hampered for shorter periods.

True but they do seem to develop their players better. Maybe the NEAFL is our handicap.

aardvark
26th September 2015, 12:35 PM
True but they do seem to develop their players better. Maybe the NEAFL is our handicap.

Dead right. I know all the arguments against it so don't bother but a South Melbourne team in the VFL would be the icing on the cake.

dimelb
26th September 2015, 12:40 PM
I don't think the NEAFL is such a problem - the standard has been improving each season - but apart from reducing injuries (and how does one do that?) I think the main priority needs to be development at the coaching level. In order of priority these are: foot skills, hand skills (marking and disposal, especially when tackled), the ballup and centre square set-up (including the spread), and use of the spare man in defence.

aardvark
26th September 2015, 12:45 PM
Good skills are a prime prerequisite but the opportunity to practice them in a top class competitive situation on a regular basis is paramount. Anyone can execute against witches hats.

barry
26th September 2015, 12:47 PM
Beating hawrhorn is sinple. Man up. Their game plan revolves around free ing players up.

aardvark
26th September 2015, 12:49 PM
Beating hawrhorn is sinple. Man up. Their game plan revolves around free ing players up.

You been on the turps again Barry?

barry
26th September 2015, 12:49 PM
The NEAFL is a strategic investment for us. Abandoning for the VFL would be a backwards step.

The only alternative is a national reserves comp.

aardvark
26th September 2015, 12:51 PM
Abandoning for the VFL would be a backwards step.

Why?

ernie koala
26th September 2015, 12:51 PM
Dead right. I know all the arguments against it so don't bother but a South Melbourne team in the VFL would be the icing on the cake.

The problem with the NEAFL, in terms of developing our players, is that the team is made up of 1/3, sometimes 1/2, with top ups.

This makes continuity in developing the team structures, and playing with trust for your teammates, ie when to leave your man etc, near impossible to achieve...

It's all looks a bit disjointed on game day.

I agree with Barry, and would like to see a national reserves comp reinstated...Money obviously gets in the way, as lists would need to increase etc.

Meg
26th September 2015, 01:18 PM
Gary Rohan's injury from that head clash in the Nth Melbourne match was really nasty. Just read in the Swans' injury report that he fractured his cheekbone, had surgery during the week and that after the swelling subsides he will have further surgery.
Harley described it as "a pretty nasty break in the upper cheek point through the eye socket,�

Poor guy, he must be sick of hospitals. I recall Rohan got engaged earlier this year. Hope he wasn't planning an off-season wedding. He wouldn't look very handsome in the wedding photos.

Levii3
26th September 2015, 02:08 PM
Jed Lamb on Twitter: "Get around the rooster ????! Still has a modelling career ahead of him @IMGmodels @RohanGary #openyoureye #pirate http://t.co/V6bMbU0iaf" (https://twitter.com/jedlambb/status/645399713563283461?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp %5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet)

Meg
26th September 2015, 11:31 PM
Well North Melbourne did better than I expected but the Eagles ran over them in the second half. Don't much like the Eagles (or at least their fans) but I hope they can take home the big one next week ("anyone but Hawthorn").

But please tell me that I heard incorrectly. Did the TV commentators really say, in relation to Nic Nat late in the last quarter, "get 'the boy' off the ground"?

27th September 2015, 01:28 AM
Don't much like the Eagles (or at least their fans) but I hope they can take home the big one next week ("anyone but Hawthorn").

WC supporters might be a little more savoury than some Freo fans ATM

But please tell me that I heard incorrectly. Did the TV commentators really say, in relation to Nic Nat late in the last quarter, "get 'the boy' off the ground"?

Muhammad Ali might have something to say about that

Swansinger
27th September 2015, 07:36 AM
I'd just like to see some recruiting sanctions applied to the Hawks. While money was freed up from Buddy, the have raped & pillaged talent from other clubs like the Vikings of yester year. Sure we picked up a couple of bona fide stars (Buddy & arguably Tippet) most of our other recruits were recycled discards. The Hawks cherry pick top end talent, all too often from bottom end clubs.

One of Hawthorn's premiership players,known to us,was a recycled discard :Matt Spangher.

swannymum
27th September 2015, 08:37 AM
Spangher is originally from Victoria and played for West Coast. On his Wikipedia page it states he wanted to return to Victoria in 2009. Seems like the Swans picked him up but he never would have wanted to stay there. Still a go home factor involved by the looks of it.

Would have to agree with the previous comment: whereas Swans tend to pick up under utilised players from other clubs, the Hawks raid the struggling clubs of their better players.

When you hear about some player not achieving their potential due to personal issues, the media routinely suggests Swans could sort them out.

If a 'star' is in the offing, there is outrage if the Swans should be successful in obtaining their services, I.e. Buddy or Tippett.

R-1
27th September 2015, 03:07 PM
The problem with the NEAFL, in terms of developing our players, is that the team is made up of 1/3, sometimes 1/2, with top ups.

This is a product of our list size, not where our reserves play.

ernie koala
27th September 2015, 03:48 PM
This is a product of our list size, not where our reserves play.

Don't agree. It's both standard and list size.

I wasn't meaning to target the NEAFL as the sole problem, just that playing in the NEAFL, with the relatively poor standard of 'top ups' our reserve players play

along side (compared to playing in the VFL, WAFL, SANFL) hinders development....

A reserves team, in a national reserves comp, is what would be best, but due to cost of increasing list size , for all clubs, unfortunately it won't happen.

Primmy
27th September 2015, 04:04 PM
Another problem is that the NEAFL don't take the competition seriously. They keep changing the venues as a start. I have watched the ressies religiously since about 2000, but over the last couple of years its been a nightmare. Is it just el nino? or is it a matter of making the Swans Ressies paaayyy...... Hard enough with the small available number of our players, let alone twitching the top ups from here to there.

barry
27th September 2015, 11:24 PM
Why?

Because the long term prosperity of the Swans (and Giants) and therefore AFL in Sydney is by developing the local market.

When the quality of NSW players entering the AFL is enough to populate the 2 AFL teams. (Give or take a few playing elsewhere, and few non-nsw playing for us), then we will be self sufficient and untouchable.

The NEAFL is a vehicle for that. If its not strong enough, make it stronger.

Bolstering the VFL with our reserves players does nothing for NSW footy.

Mug Punter
27th September 2015, 11:43 PM
Because the long term prosperity of the Swans (and Giants) and therefore AFL in Sydney is by developing the local market.

When the quality of NSW players entering the AFL is enough to populate the 2 AFL teams. (Give or take a few playing elsewhere, and few non-nsw playing for us), then we will be self sufficient and untouchable.

The NEAFL is a vehicle for that. If its not strong enough, make it stronger.

Bolstering the VFL with our reserves players does nothing for NSW footy.

I think they might finally be on the right track with the NEAFL so I tend to agree with your post from a long term perspective even if short term we would be better in the VFL or SANFL.

I think there needs to be a further rationalisation of the NEAFL to increase the quality. The ACT Teams need to become one team (Ainslie you'd think) that becomes a defacto ACT rep team that draws on the Riverina as well.

That will leave a 10 team comp that should be fine for our development purposes. Over time as the academy players come through to senior football the top ups should become better and the overall standard should improve.

Reckon in 5 years the NEAFL will be quite a lot stronger than it is now

liz
28th September 2015, 01:16 AM
There will be just one Canberra team in the NEAFL from next year. I think it is actually Eastlake, not Ainslie. Ainslie has withdrawn from the competition.

I don't really see what is wrong with the current set-up. A couple of the non-reserves teams are quite strong. and most of the teams have been successful in attracting ex-AFL players, even the weaker ones. I don't see much evidence that the NEAFL isn't developing players to come in and play senior footy. Most of our debutants have equipped themselves reasonably well. I don't see we are lagging that far behind - if at all - the other clubs.

A national reserves competition might be seen as the ideal, but the costs would be prohibitive - not just the travel but the need for extended lists or, at least, higher paid top-ups. We and the other northern clubs are relatively fortunate in that we have pools of academy youngsters to use, and while all four teams do the same, the teams balance out reasonably well. If we were to participate in a national reserves completion, most of the academy players wouldn't be up to competing if the other clubs had more seasoned supplementary players. And the Victorian teams don't have pools of young players to pick from. For the competition to work, I reckon you'd have to align TAC cup squads with Victorian reserves teams to provide them with a bigger pool choose from, even if the base lists were larger.