PDA

View Full Version : Gary Rohan

Levii3
29th September 2015, 07:17 PM
Taken pick 6 2009 draft broke his leg in 2012 R4 has had two full years since then. One of my favourite players but the question has to be asked is he going to reach his potential? You can't be 24 years old in sixth year average less than 12 possessions and go missing in games when the side is down.
He was taken pick 6 seriously he should impacting games he's playing like a player who came of the rookie list. He's played on solid game (half) of footy this year and that was against Collingwood.
Two years left on his contract if doesn't improve next year we should consider trading him.

jetts32
29th September 2015, 07:35 PM
I've got faith in Gary Rohan, I think he should get the Jetta treatment this preseason, make him run around with K.Jack to help get his work rate and endurance up.

He could also be struggling because of his lack of position, I think he should stick to either half back or wing next season.

ernie koala
29th September 2015, 07:38 PM
Taken pick 6 2009 draft broke his leg in 2012 R4 has had two full years since then. One of my favourite players but the question has to be asked is he going to reach his potential? You can't be 24 years old in sixth year average less than 12 possessions and go missing in games when the side is down.
He was taken pick 6 seriously he should impacting games he's playing like a player who came of the rookie list. He's played on solid game (half) of footy this year and that was against Collingwood.
Two years left on his contract if doesn't improve next year we should consider trading him.

His best is brilliant and is fantastic to watch...But very rarely seen.

His attack on the ball and opposition is ferocious but often ridiculously reckless...He's an instinctive player but not a smart player...

Seems very popular among the playing group and has infectious enthusiasm.

Unfortunately he's not consistently good, he's sporadic. It's hard to see longevity with him.

Here's hoping he finds some consistency next year and fulfils his undoubted potential.

chalbilto
29th September 2015, 07:43 PM
Yes he has been inconsistent but the poor bugger has had so many injuries which haven't helped. I would be quite happy if he averages 12 spectacular possessions a la Cyril Rioli, which impacts on a game than 25-30 average possessions with minimal impact. Let him get a pre-season to get fully fit and hopefully have an injury free season.

WauchopeAnalyst
29th September 2015, 08:39 PM
His best is brilliant and is fantastic to watch...But very rarely seen.

His attack on the ball and opposition is ferocious but often ridiculously reckless...He's an instinctive player but not a smart player...

Seems very popular among the playing group and has infectious enthusiasm.

Unfortunately he's not consistently good, he's sporadic. It's hard to see longevity with him.

Here's hoping he finds some consistency next year and fulfils his undoubted potential.
A true footy player but another player that gets lost in the Swans game style. Would kill at Bulldogs, Hawks, West Coast, GWS, Suns.

Auntie.Gerald
29th September 2015, 08:53 PM
Towers will put a lot of pressure on Gaz if Deano continues the trajectory of improvement he displayed the last few games

jono2707
29th September 2015, 09:40 PM
Plenty of upside yet to be seen with Gazza. He looked on the verge of being able to tear a game apart a few times this year but injuries seemed to break his momentum.
He'll be back bigger and better next year.

bennyfabulous
29th September 2015, 09:48 PM
I looked up where Nat Fyfe went in the draft today and was shocked that he was in the same draft as Gary & Jetta and went @20. But after watching one of the footy shows, there was a suggestion he was used as a forward mainly and only became special after moving into the midfield. Gary Rohan could be a very similar player if used as a mid only. Put him in the guts for a season, he is fast, he is hard and might just turn into a superstar!

Nico
29th September 2015, 10:24 PM
When he played Under 18's he was what used to be called, a utility. He was an around the ground player much like the old ruck rover. I have always thought he should be playing this position. Not an in and under player and not necessarily an outside mid. Someone who makes space, runs to space, rather than leading up and crashing into contests. Also in this role making himself a spare defender. I just wonder whether he naturally has a big tank.

Certainly not a forward. Now that the sub has gone from 2016 maybe he can become the swing man we probably need.

RogueSwan
29th September 2015, 10:37 PM
I don't know Roosters footy history but to my eyes he seems a better footballer when playing forward of the ball. He seems more dangerous and more comfortable.
He wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last, footballer to play a different position than that of his junior years.

Ludwig
29th September 2015, 10:47 PM
When he played Under 18's he was what used to be called, a utility. He was an around the ground player much like the old ruck rover. I have always thought he should be playing this position. Not an in and under player and not necessarily an outside mid. Someone who makes space, runs to space, rather than leading up and crashing into contests. Also in this role making himself a spare defender. I just wonder whether he naturally has a big tank.

Certainly not a forward. Now that the sub has gone from 2016 maybe he can become the swing man we probably need.

I agree that his best position is closer to half back than forward, especially when we have our full contingent of tall forwards. I think he's best when he's forced to do something rather than create something out of nothing. He's not the type to make repeat leads that go unrewarded. When he played back toward the end of 2014 he looked pretty good.

dimelb
29th September 2015, 11:04 PM
Gaz could play anywhere except ruck, and he'd take that on if he was told to.

I think he's best up forward or maybe on a wing. Which game was it where he took two marks and goaled from the 50m line, and someone here said he was the best full forward in the comp (which is hyperbole, but appropriate). His pace means he puts on great defensive pressure inside the forward 50, and he is generally a pretty accurate kick.

Mug Punter
29th September 2015, 11:39 PM
I agree that his best position is closer to half back than forward, especially when we have our full contingent of tall forwards. I think he's best when he's forced to do something rather than create something out of nothing. He's not the type to make repeat leads that go unrewarded. When he played back toward the end of 2014 he looked pretty good.

I'd be tempted to have Rohan and Heeney providing run off the half back line next year as we looked decidedly pedestrian at times this year.

Rampe and Smith off the full back line and we should have plenty of carry out of the bvackline

Father time is catching up with McVeigh but he is a clever footballer and I's have him off the half forward line along with Towers. Hanneberry and Jack on the wings.

Bloody Hell
30th September 2015, 04:55 AM
Gary Rohan has played 61 senior games. He will be fine.

Conor_Dillon
30th September 2015, 10:32 AM
He's still got a rod in his leg...definitely hasn't returned to full fitness yet hence his lowly posession numbers. Judgement should be reserved until the end of next season I think.

Also think he's a more natural forward...we desperately need the pressure that he provides, it's second to none.

mcs
30th September 2015, 10:54 AM
I'd be tempted to have Rohan and Heeney providing run off the half back line next year as we looked decidedly pedestrian at times this year.

Rampe and Smith off the full back line and we should have plenty of carry out of the bvackline

Father time is catching up with McVeigh but he is a clever footballer and I's have him off the half forward line along with Towers. Hanneberry and Jack on the wings.

Why would you put Heeney on the half back line? He clearly is more than capable as a forward, and given his prodigious junior talent, will surely increasingly see more time in the midfield from next year, as that is where he will end up. He would be totally wasted playing off the half back line.

As for Rohan, I love his attack on the footy and how hard he goes. But I've got a bad feeling he is never going to live up to what we hoped he would become - he needs a big 2016 in my book.

bungwahl
30th September 2015, 11:03 AM
Rohan just needs to string together an injury free season. There are so few players in the competition who can match Rohans' speed combined with marking ability. He played a few fantastic games in the first half of this year before injuries struck.

Nico
30th September 2015, 11:43 AM
Gaz could play anywhere except ruck, and he'd take that on if he was told to.

I think he's best up forward or maybe on a wing. Which game was it where he took two marks and goaled from the 50m line, and someone here said he was the best full forward in the comp (which is hyperbole, but appropriate). His pace means he puts on great defensive pressure inside the forward 50, and he is generally a pretty accurate kick.

Play him off the wing as a go to man, but not as a forward. Just as much chance to kick goals from there. One thing he can do is break the lines from half back.

AnnieH
30th September 2015, 12:13 PM
He's doing fine.
Injury is the only thing that's been holding him back.
Kirky will inspire him.
Kirky will inspire them all.

Conor_Dillon
30th September 2015, 12:29 PM
Kirky will inspire him.

Agreed!

Nico
30th September 2015, 12:37 PM
The messiah returns.

magic.merkin
30th September 2015, 01:08 PM
definitely repeated injury since the leg break return has slowed his momentum. Coupled with constant positional switches and youthful form fluctuations he's been disappointing this last 2 years.

But i have faith that with some luck and maybe strapped to jack for preseason he can fulfill his potential.

Mel_C
30th September 2015, 01:22 PM
He needs to work on his fitness. There have been games this year where he has tired and was cramping in the last quarter.
Hopefully he has a good preseason and an injury free year.

mcsquirta
30th September 2015, 02:39 PM
He's doing fine.
Injury is the only thing that's been holding him back.
Kirky will inspire him.
Was just going to write this! Kirky will help all the boys put their heads in the right place. The other thing that wouldn't hurt Gary is to get married and have a kid - it might give him the sense to not throw himself into potentially body breaking tackles. (My daughter's available) :p

swansrob
30th September 2015, 02:55 PM
The other thing that wouldn't hurt Gary is to get married and have a kid - it might give him the sense to not throw himself into potentially body breaking tackles. (My daughter's available) :p

His fiancee might have something to say about that

S.S. Bleeder
30th September 2015, 03:29 PM
He needs to work on his fitness. There have been games this year where he has tired and was cramping in the last quarter.
Hopefully he has a good preseason and an injury free year.

I think we need to remember that he would have lost a lot of his fitness after the injury and it'll take time and additional effort/work to get it back to where he was beforehand. On top of that he's had some niggling injuries which would have hampered his ability to make up ground on his fitness. I would expect him to be fitter and better next season.

Levii3
30th September 2015, 03:30 PM
He needs to put some size on over the preseason even Jetta has a bigger frame than him...

S.S. Bleeder
30th September 2015, 03:34 PM
Play him off the wing as a go to man, but not as a forward. Just as much chance to kick goals from there. One thing he can do is break the lines from half back.

I agree. Without Jetta he will be more important than ever. We need him amongst the action.

dimelb
30th September 2015, 04:03 PM
He needs to put some size on over the preseason even Jetta has a bigger frame than him...

Rohan h 189, w 88
Kennedy h 188, w 96

To my mind, both perfect for what they do. Gary's weight is just under 14 stone in the old money, Josh's just over 15 stone.

Levii3
1st October 2015, 12:50 AM

I hope McVeigh doesn't fall of the cliff like ROK, Hannebery would be good on the HB line aswell

Conor_Dillon
1st October 2015, 10:09 AM
I hope McVeigh doesn't fall of the cliff like ROK, Hannebery would be good on the HB line aswell

Hannebery wins the coaches association MVP, makes the All-Aus team and finishes top 5 in the Brownlow playing as a midfielder - and you want to move him to the half back line? :hmmmm2:

Levii3
1st October 2015, 12:48 PM
Hannebery wins the coaches association MVP, makes the All-Aus team and finishes top 5 in the Brownlow playing as a midfielder - and you want to move him to the half back line? :hmmmm2:

Since Mal and Shaw left and retired we've missed run inside 50's entries rebounding and consistency is the back half we've tried Rohan and Jetta but both are inconsistent. Next year Mills will come into the team first year players play forward mostly Heeney will play more time in the middle which will allow Hannebery to go to HB like McVeigh in 2013 and get 25-30 quality possessions. It's not the craziest idea...:dispirited:

Triple B
1st October 2015, 03:30 PM
It's not the craziest idea...:dispirited:

It's in the final though...

Doctor J.
1st October 2015, 05:20 PM
Since Mal and Shaw left and retired we've missed run inside 50's entries rebounding and consistency is the back half we've tried Rohan and Jetta but both are inconsistent. Next year Mills will come into the team first year players play forward mostly Heeney will play more time in the middle which will allow Hannebery to go to HB like McVeigh in 2013 and get 25-30 quality possessions. It's not the craziest idea...:dispirited:

It's in the final though...

Starting from Lane 4...

bloodsbigot
1st October 2015, 05:40 PM
Gary Rohan is a fighter. If anything he should be kept around the club as a B-player. Seems to have a great spirit about him. If he unites the playing group (As Kirk did back in the day) then keep him around. If not, we should probably trade him.

Even though he goes missing in some games, he might be doing off the ball work. Not every player is a big possession getter like Hannebery, Mitchell and Kennedy.