PDA

View Full Version : Pyke to announce retirement at B&F

bodgie
9th October 2015, 01:33 AM
The Age has just reported that Pyke will retire because he doesn't believe his knee will hold up for another season.

I was hoping he would come good and for one last season after this pretty ordinary year. I've enjoyed his amazing journey with the Swans

Levii3
9th October 2015, 01:38 AM
AFL trade news: No Swan song for Mike Pyke, as Sydney ruck retires early (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-no-swan-song-for-mike-pyke-as-sydney-ruck-retires-early-20151008-gk4hvu.html)
Pykey is said to announce his retirement at tomorrows B&F joining Goodes and Shaw to be the third swan retiring this year.
Last year it was LRT and ROK sad to see champions leave.
From being called the worst player in the competition to almost being AA, he gave everything all you can ask from a player.

Pyke reportedly on over $300k gives us some cap space next season.

jetts32
9th October 2015, 06:16 AM
I've enjoyed his progression and his story but it's probably for the best for both parties.

Scottee
9th October 2015, 06:54 AM
Pykey has been a gladiator for the club and done everything that has been asked of him and more, including playing through injury and pain. He has been a totally honourable and successful servant of the club. All the best Pykey.

Auntie.Gerald
9th October 2015, 07:18 AM
firstly that must have been a tough year 2015 to get up and about every game he played !

Thank you Mike !

BUT just so i understand

Pyke had one more year and lets say $300k pa

are we able to remove this amount from the Cap?

With Buddy they said no matter what we have to have his contract counted in the cap even if he retires injured ?

Primmy
9th October 2015, 07:31 AM
Good for you Mike! He has made the most of his time, Has a Masters Degree, has the grace to call time when he knows he can't do more. We couldn't have asked anything more of him.

Well played.

Mug Punter
9th October 2015, 07:34 AM
firstly that must have been a tough year 2015 to get up and about every game he played !

Thank you Mike !

BUT just so i understand

Pyke had one more year and lets say $300k pa

are we able to remove this amount from the Cap?

With Buddy they said no matter what we have to have his contract counted in the cap even if he retires injured ?

I amk sure we can remove this money from the cap

The Buddy clause was a specific clause for that deal because, let's be honest, we fiddled Buddy's conract over a length of time that did not reflect the service period (i.e. we would be paying him a million dollars a year as a 35 year old when it was very likely he wouldn't be playing

Farewell the Big Canuck, I've loved every minute of this most wonderful football journey, he is right up there witm my all time favourite Swans players and it will only be in future years that we fully appreciate his achievement

Gives us a bity more cap space, which might mean we recruit an extra player now though I'd be tempted to use the cash as a re-signing bonus for Parker

Mr Magoo
9th October 2015, 09:32 AM
I wonder if the timing is due to them being sure that they now have a ruckman tied up in the trade period.

Conor_Dillon
9th October 2015, 09:41 AM
Pyke becoming a premiership hero and utterly embarassing Brian Taylor is one of the most satisfying football stories in recent memory.

i'm-uninformed2
9th October 2015, 09:47 AM
Mighty Mike Pyke: one flag

Knobhead BT: zero flags

And remember, he took the crucial contested mark prior to the Goodes goal. A career-beat game anyone would walk away with let alone an ex Canadian rugby player. Thanks big fella

Industrial Fan
9th October 2015, 09:49 AM
Outstanding in the 2012 GF

WauchopeAnalyst
9th October 2015, 09:53 AM
Mighty Mike Pyke: one flag

Knobhead BT: zero flags

And remember, he took the crucial contested mark prior to the Goodes goal. A career-beat game anyone would walk away with let alone an ex Canadian rugby player. Thanks big fella
Well done for Pyke and IU2[emoji3]

mcs
9th October 2015, 10:13 AM
Pyke becoming a premiership hero and utterly embarassing Brian Taylor is one of the most satisfying football stories in recent memory.

Absolutely - especially given the pivotal role he played on Grand Final day as well. Not only did he take that mark before the Goodes goal, he also booted the ball forward off the ground in the lead up to Malceski's sealer.

What an effort from Pykey to do what he has done, considering where he came from - champion bloke to go with it as well :clap:

aardvark
9th October 2015, 12:33 PM
Mike Pyke is a true Swans legend. Should have won the Norm Smith in 2012.:smile:

longmile
9th October 2015, 01:03 PM
One of my favorite players and a real cult figure. As already mentioned that soccer off the ground in the dying stages of the game was one of the reasons we won that year. A valued servant, who truly thought he could come this far?

6'2, 220, 4.53
9th October 2015, 04:09 PM
I don't think the decision was hard for Pyke.

Working with an investment bank gives him the opportunity to lunch and dine with clients everyday of the week. He can enjoy his beers, his wine, his fine food and his bonusus. All on the corporate AMEX

The clients would love Pyke and he would tell some great stories.

He will go on investment roadshows to Asia where his banking colleagues would go on benders that leave AFL players in their wake.

It's all too much fun.

If he had stayed in the AFL it would have been physio three hours a day, ice tubs one hour a day and having to watch his diet all the time.

I wonder if he is teaming up with Leo Barry?

Sandridge
9th October 2015, 06:09 PM

Yes, who could forget that interview of Pykey and Mummy on the ground after the 2012 GF? Taylor's opinion of Pyke was brought up but Pykey dealt with it poise and class!

Thanks Pykey! Good luck for all future endeavours!

Untamed Snark
9th October 2015, 06:17 PM
I like Pyke!

And he's been fantastic.
Against all expectations he turned himself into a great afl player.
I have a lot of respect for him

India'sDad
9th October 2015, 06:21 PM
I don't think the decision was hard for Pyke.

Working with an investment bank gives him the opportunity to lunch and dine with clients everyday of the week. He can enjoy his beers, his wine, his fine food and his bonusus. All on the corporate AMEX

The clients would love Pyke and he would tell some great stories.

He will go on investment roadshows to Asia where his banking colleagues would go on benders that leave AFL players in their wake.

It's all too much fun.

If he had stayed in the AFL it would have been physio three hours a day, ice tubs one hour a day and having to watch his diet all the time.

I wonder if he is teaming up with Leo Barry?

Leo works in domestic equities. From memory when Swans TV shadowed Pyke and Ted at Citibank, Pyke was working fixed income a very different kettle of fish. He doesn't strike me as a front of house person to be wheeled out in front of potential clients. He's a class act.

I can recall his debut game with the SCG crowd applauding his every contribution. A very special player and one of my favourites - like one B. Kirk got the most out what was available. I'll miss him.

Mel_C
9th October 2015, 06:30 PM
I watched the 2012 GF on Sunday to try and get over the Hawks win and I had forgotten how good Pyke was around the ground. The way he rucked the whole last quarter on his own was unbelievable! The commentators were praising him for most of the game.

Can't imagine how painful it was for him to play this year.

rangatang10
9th October 2015, 07:44 PM
Leo works in domestic equities. From memory when Swans TV shadowed Pyke and Ted at Citibank, Pyke was working fixed income a very different kettle of fish. He doesn't strike me as a front of house person to be wheeled out in front of potential clients. He's a class act.

I can recall his debut game with the SCG crowd applauding his every contribution. A very special player and one of my favourites - like one B. Kirk got the most out what was available. I'll miss him.

Well Merryl Lynch where Leo works, and Moelis (Andrew Pridham's company) where Pyke has been doing some work are in the same building in Sydney. So maybe their paths will cross ;)

Meg
9th October 2015, 07:50 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the retirement story is correct. There's been no mention at B & F so far while Goodes, Shaw and Jetta have been mentioned. Bit odd?

Ludwig
9th October 2015, 08:03 PM
Maybe Pyke is going to make the announcement himself. I think it will happen.

Levii3
9th October 2015, 08:06 PM
His agent said he was going to talk to Horse and Harley maybe they talked him out of it, if Sinclair or who ever we gets injured we have no true back up.

Velour&Ruffles
9th October 2015, 08:06 PM
Pykey will always be one of my favourites. I love the oddballs and against the odds stories and nobody (not even Tadghdghhgdtdg) surpasses him on that front.

It's sad that his '14 and '15 seasons were hampered by injury because his '12 and '13 were excellent by any standards, let alone those of someone who'd never even heard of the game before entering it at the highest level. He had the potential to really tear the game apart right now, and for the next few seasons, but his knees have dictated otherwise.

The biggest test for any player is how they perform in the heat of a Grand Final. As history records, Pykey was colossal in the 2012 GF when he basically had to do it alone. What impressed me most with him was how smart he was for someone who hadn't grown up with the game - the little toe-pokes and taps seemed to come very naturally, and whenever he spoke he sounded like both a consummate professional and also a keen student who was hungry to learn more. It doesn't surprise me at all that he has gone into a cerebral career.

I'm so pleased that he stood up in a Grand Final and will always have one up one an un-named bitchy, bitter, bristling turd who - despite all the hot air - never produced on the biggest stage. Not only did Pykey get his medal, but he bloody EARNED it. He is one of the handful who were absolutely essential on the day. I am very comfortable saying that without Pykey there would be no 2012 flag. So, Big Man, I am forever endebted. I wish you all the best for the future, although I know you don't need my help ...... you will succeed at whatever you set your mind to.

liz
9th October 2015, 08:10 PM
Well Merryl Lynch where Leo works, and Moelis (Andrew Pridham's company) where Pyke has been doing some work are in the same building in Sydney. So maybe their paths will cross ;)

Leo's not at Merrill Lynch any more. He moved down to Melbourne and works for another broker / bank down there (but can't remember which one).

ugg
9th October 2015, 08:18 PM
Fairview

https://au.linkedin.com/pub/leo-barry/45/947/939

Was hoping his profile photo would be of that mark

Swansinger
9th October 2015, 08:59 PM
You've all said it all for me,so all that's left is for me to add my own thanks : Well done Pkyey ! You've been a cracker !!

Swanstubbs
9th October 2015, 09:36 PM
Pyke, one of the best code converts ever!! Rugby world cup try against the all blacks to AFL Premiership player. Joins Hayneplane & Tadhg Kennelly

Mug Punter
9th October 2015, 10:14 PM
I'm so pleased that he stood up in a Grand Final and will always have one up one an un-named bitchy, bitter, bristling turd who - despite all the hot air - never produced on the biggest stage.

Who on earth are you referring to there, Mummy? :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

liz
9th October 2015, 10:53 PM
Who on earth are you referring to there, Mummy? :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

My guess is Brian Taylor (though I have no idea whether Taylor ever produced - or played - in a Grand Final).

Meg
9th October 2015, 11:02 PM
11pm at B n F and still no mention of Pyke retiring. And Mike had the opportunity himself when he got his 100 game presentation. So is it a false story?

Go Swannies
9th October 2015, 11:04 PM
11pm at B n F and still no mention of Pyke retiring. And Mike had the opportunity himself when he got his 100 game presentation. So is it a false story?

As Horse didn't say anything - nor did Mike, I presume it's a furfy.

Mug Punter
9th October 2015, 11:13 PM
My guess is Brian Taylor (though I have no idea whether Taylor ever produced - or played - in a Grand Final).

Of course :)

bodgie
9th October 2015, 11:14 PM
Bloody Hell. First time I thought I'd start a thread. 1am, The Age, reasonably sober, plausible reasons.

I withdraw.

Welcome back Mike Pyke!

Meg
9th October 2015, 11:22 PM
Ha ha!

Ludwig
9th October 2015, 11:42 PM
Maybe he's held off to see what transpires with our recruiting efforts. I think the original story came from his manager.

AnnieH
10th October 2015, 01:49 AM
Not a word, Reggie.
Not a word.

erica
10th October 2015, 07:31 AM
So has Pyke retired or not?

aardvark
10th October 2015, 08:04 AM
and rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated.....

aardvark
10th October 2015, 10:54 AM
If the story was not true, why were the Swans and Pyke not out early on Friday morning to dispel the story?

Probably Smith and Leuenberger said their going elsewhere and WC said we can't have Sinclair or Lycett. Just guessing.

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2015, 11:15 AM
Probably Smith and Leuenberger said their going elsewhere and WC said we can't have Sinclair or Lycett. Just guessing.

Well if their unwilling to budge on those two, and I doubt their first round pick is on offer, what do they expect they'll be able to offer us for Jetta? The problem is, while he wants to go there, and they do want him, he isn't exactly a pressing need for them. He'd improve their side sure , but their not exactly screaming out for a Lewis Jetta. Feel we could get shafted here.

Ludwig
10th October 2015, 11:22 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but it was reported both on the AFL trade radio website and by Brett Anderson on SEN that Pyke was likely to retire. I'm not sure what to make of it given that it didn't eventuate last night, but those that reported it seemed confident that it would happen. Here is some of what was posted on the AFL website:

[*=center]
October 9, 3.25pm: SWANS SEEK BIG MAN

Mike Pyke's expected retirement tonight will mean the Swans' interest in recruiting an experienced big man this off-season is sure to quadruple.

The Swans have already been linked to West Coast's Callum Sinclair, as well as Brisbane Lions' ruckman Matthew Leuenberger.

[*=center]

Sinclair's manager Colin Young says most of the talk about his client is "media driven" but confirmed there is "some interest".

[*=center]
October 9, 3.15pm: SWAN SONG?

It's sounding more and more like 2012 Sydney Swans' premiership ruckman Mike Pykewill announce his retirement at the club's best and fairest tonight.

[*=center]

[*=center]
Pyke - not the one who will coach the Crows next year - is believed to have been given an opportunity to work in investment banking and is concerned about how his battered knee will stand up if he plays on.

Pyke played 20 games this season but had to manage his knee, particularly in the second half of the year.

aardvark
10th October 2015, 11:31 AM
He'd improve their side sure, but they're not exactly screaming out for a Lewis Jetta. Feel we could get shafted here.

That's pretty much how I see it. Jets might just have to end up staying if we can't get a suitable trade. My guess is we will end up with Sinclair if we make a decent enough offer for him and he decides to come.

6'2, 220, 4.53
10th October 2015, 01:05 PM
An opportunity in investment banking is a big deal. These opportunities are very highly contested. It gives Pyke an opportunity to have a solid career for potentially the next 20 years.

The worst thing for an AFL footballer is to complete their final contract and not have any income earning opportunity after that. Not every ex AFL player can join the media or work in coaching. You can go broke very quickly if you have nothing to do.

Pyke may potentially give up $300,000 by not playing in 2016, but it may be a better decision for his long term financial future.

Everyone, including himself, can see that 2016 would be very tough on him physically and mentally with his body.

If the opportunity is investment banking is great, then take it Mike.

Meg
10th October 2015, 01:56 PM
That's pretty much how I see it. Jets might just have to end up staying if we can't get a suitable trade.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Pyke does end up retiring without being farewelled at the B&F - and Jetta stays AFTER being farewelled at the B&F!

MattW
10th October 2015, 03:05 PM
On Twitter, I noted to Michael Gleeson, who reported the retirement story in The Age, that Pyke hadn't retired at the B&F and he responded: 'interesting. Will happen'.

ernie koala
10th October 2015, 03:22 PM
Maybe Mr Pyke just wanted it to be Goodsey's night....With a little Shaw on the side.......Time will tell

liz
10th October 2015, 03:24 PM
Maybe Mr Pyke just wanted it to be Goodsey's night....With a little Shaw on the side.......Time will tell

If it transpired in the last couple of days, it might be that they didn't have time to get a tribute together. Maybe they suggested they could farewell him at the pre-season dinner next year. Or maybe the Swans are trying to persuade him to hold off a decision until they can see if they can get a replacement on board.

6'2, 220, 4.53
10th October 2015, 04:36 PM
If it transpired in the last couple of days, it might be that they didn't have time to get a tribute together. Maybe they suggested they could farewell him at the pre-season dinner next year. Or maybe the Swans are trying to persuade him to hold off a decision until they can see if they can get a replacement on board.

I hope the Swans are not trying to change his mind. A good opportunity in investment banking is best for his medium and long term future.

He only has one more season maximum left in the AFL and there is no guarantee that he won't break down.

goswannies
10th October 2015, 04:39 PM
On Twitter, I noted to Michael Gleeson, who reported the retirement story in The Age, that Pyke hadn't retired at the B&F and he responded: 'interesting. Will happen'.
If course it probably will happen. It's a matter of whether it happens this year or next year

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2015, 05:00 PM
I hope the Swans are not trying to change his mind. A good opportunity in investment banking is best for his medium and long term future.

He only has one more season maximum left in the AFL and there is no guarantee that he won't break down.

Who's to say that opportunity won't be there next year ? He is contracted and if he feels he can contribute in some way to our season and help out his teammates then he should stay on for the final year of his contract. I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities in the glorious and glamorous world of investment banking that you seem to revere so much. Next season will be his last chance to play elite football, he won't get another one.

Chilcott
10th October 2015, 06:07 PM
He may hold off any announcement until after the trade/free agency period. If we get a ruckman, he may retire. If not, he may play one more season, but who knows?

bodgie
11th October 2015, 12:47 AM

Well 'Matt'. The guy is obviously not stupid. He could go around again, fulfil the role the Swans want, collect his 300k and keep on in investment banking. All good for him! If they want to keep him then they are obviously not convinced yet by the 2 big 'N's or getting a value import. If he retires then the swans still know exactly what they are dealing with.

goswannies
12th October 2015, 07:29 AM
According to Travis King of afl.com.au Trade Winds

"while the Swans could now ramp up their bid for West Coast's Callum Sinclair to replace retired ruckman Mike Pyke."

Has he, or hasn't he?

swansrob
12th October 2015, 08:54 AM

"while the Swans could now ramp up their bid for West Coast's Callum Sinclair to replace retired ruckman Mike Pyke."

Has he, or hasn't he?

Came here to post the same thing...

erica
12th October 2015, 09:18 AM
Proof that if the media keeps repeating the same thing (true or not) then people start believing it's a fact.

I only believe official announcements from the club.

AnnieH
12th October 2015, 10:18 AM
Well, according to Pyke, he's not going anywhere.

erica
12th October 2015, 10:31 AM
From the Swans website:

Trade Update: Tom Harley - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-10-12/trade-update-tom-harley)

ugg
12th October 2015, 10:54 AM
Well, according to Pyke, he's not going anywhere.
Just need a photo of Mike holding up a copy of that Age article.

crackedactor
12th October 2015, 11:20 AM
Just need a photo of Mike holding up a copy of that Age article.Don't forget the Herald Sun as well. Also says that Mike Pyke has retired and may be replaced by Callum Sinclair.

Auntie.Gerald
12th October 2015, 11:48 AM
hmmmm

very tight n not giving much away :)

goswannies
12th October 2015, 12:01 PM

Has he, or hasn't he?

Ahhh, they changed their wording that he's "weighing up his options"

Pmcc2911
12th October 2015, 12:15 PM
From the Swans website:

Trade Update: Tom Harley - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-10-12/trade-update-tom-harley)

From the Tom Harley post re Pyke "He�s weighing up his options and weighing up his future on and off the field.�
Is administrator speak for he hasn't told us yet.

liz
12th October 2015, 12:31 PM
From the Tom Harley post re Pyke "He�s weighing up his options and weighing up his future on and off the field.�
Is administrator speak for he hasn't told us yet.

Or for "he told us he wanted to (or is thinking about) retiring and we are trying to talk him out of it".

Triple B
12th October 2015, 12:37 PM
Or for "he told us he wanted to (or is thinking about) retiring and we are trying to talk him out of it".

Or "He's told us he's retiring but we haven't announced it for fear of West Coast knowing we are desperate and trying to screw us in the Jetta deal"...

Cabey
12th October 2015, 12:42 PM
Hey all don't usually post on here.But on Friday Pykes manager was interviewed on NAB trade radio where he basically said Mike would probably be ok for another year but had a fantastic job opportunity in the business sector and would be retiring in all likelihood.When interviewers suggested that Mike would make announcement at that nights B+F his manger didn't correct them.

dimelb
12th October 2015, 08:53 PM
Hey all don't usually post on here.But on Friday Pykes manager was interviewed on NAB trade radio where he basically said Mike would probably be ok for another year but had a fantastic job opportunity in the business sector and would be retiring in all likelihood.When interviewers suggested that Mike would make announcement at that nights B+F his manger didn't correct them.

Don't know about Pykey but the word from the manger is of an amazing father-son choice available.

Meg
12th October 2015, 10:08 PM
Don't know about Pykey but the word from the manger is of an amazing father-son choice available.

Ha ha! Had to read that twice. In a previous life were you a school teacher with a big red pen Don?

dimelb
13th October 2015, 07:36 AM
Close - an editor. But some opportunities are too good to resist. :smile:

6'2, 220, 4.53
13th October 2015, 09:10 AM
It's well known in corporate life that it's unwise to talk someone out of a resignation. Once someone submits a resignation or talks about leaving, then they have mentally left the building.

If Pyke's manager has mentioned that Pyke is seriously considering a corporate banking opportunity then Pyke has mentally left the SCG.

If he was fully focused on playing in the AFL in 2016, there would be no mention of Pyke's investment banking opportunity.

Once someone has mentally left the building their performance is seriously compromised.

Regardless of what happens on the trade market for Ruckman, the Swans should try not to talk Pyke out of retiring.

The Swans community should be delighted that Pyke has an exciting post AFL career to move onto.

erica
13th October 2015, 09:19 AM
He hasn't resigned. He's just thinking about it.

ernie koala
13th October 2015, 09:39 AM
I think Matt80...I mean 6'2.. Has a good point. If Pyke is considering retiring, then he should retire.

AFL requires 100% commitment 100% of the time....That certainly applies for an ageing ruckman with dicky knees.

magic.merkin
13th October 2015, 09:44 AM

royboy42
13th October 2015, 09:47 AM
It's well known in corporate life that it's unwise to talk someone out of a resignation. Once someone submits a resignation or talks about leaving, then they have mentally left the building.

If Pyke's manager has mentioned that Pyke is seriously considering a corporate banking opportunity then Pyke has mentally left the SCG.

If he was fully focused on playing in the AFL in 2016, there would be no mention of Pyke's investment banking opportunity.

Once someone has mentally left the building their performance is seriously compromised.

Regardless of what happens on the trade market for Ruckman, the Swans should try not to talk Pyke out of retiring.

The Swans community should be delighted that Pyke has an exciting post AFL career to move onto.

Hmmmm...

The reverence for the corporate life; the implication that I know best and the familiar, gratuitious and condescending advice as to how we should think....

I reckon it's him, just flying under a false flag.

13th October 2015, 09:55 AM
It's well known in corporate life that it's unwise to talk someone out of a resignation. Once someone submits a resignation or talks about leaving, then they have mentally left the building. onto.

"Matt" (I say this because you're expression is remarkably similar to the other guy & funnily enough I noticed you joined a couple of months after he "left" ... I'm sure it's purely coincidental) when you say it's well known, you base this on what?
It's a common saying, however, that for a sports person, "you are a long time retired". People will always consider their careers (both playing & post retirement) & weigh up the pros & cons. & to our knowledge Mike hasn't submitted his resignation yet ... unless you have some inside knowledge or you have a friend or family member who works with, has worked with, is a close friend of etc etc Mike or his manager

If he was fully focused on playing in the AFL in 2016, there would be no mention of Pyke's investment banking opportunity.onto.

Why on earth not? Many players these days plan on a transition to post footy & they talk about it. Especially in Pyke's case where it's well publicised that he's done his masters in that field. His future plans are no secret.

Once someone has mentally left the building their performance is seriously compromised. onto.

Possibly but I doubt you are privy to Mike's inner psyche

Regardless of what happens on the trade market for Ruckman, the Swans should try not to talk Pyke out of retiring. onto.

No, but they can rationally discuss his intentions to come to a mutually beneficial decision

I think we are.

erica
13th October 2015, 09:58 AM
Broke my own personal rule: never respond to Matt80's posts. Won't happen again.

Conor_Dillon
13th October 2015, 11:31 AM
Mike isn't the sort of guy that would play on and not fully commit to it...if he is wearing a red and white jumper in 2016 then he will be giving 100% and nothing less.

AnnieH
13th October 2015, 12:01 PM

Tell that to Ryan O'Keefe.
He "mentally left the building", to only come back and win a Norm Smith Medal in a granny.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

MadCanuck
13th October 2015, 12:07 PM
He "mentally left the building", to only come back and win a Norm Smith Medal in a granny.

If I'm not mistaken Pebbles also won the B&F the season after leaving the building.

DA_Swan
13th October 2015, 12:28 PM
I have not read the whole thread but maybe Pyke has said he will retire if we can get somebody else in - if not he will play and do the best he can

goswannies
13th October 2015, 01:13 PM
No need for correcting, Annie knows best ;) & yup, MadCanuck, he also won the Skilton AND he enjoyed his final years (or so he said).

MattW
13th October 2015, 02:47 PM
The Swans have provided a table (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-10-13/bob-skilton-medal-round-by-round) of the round-by-round votes in the B&F; well done them.

Some observations
- Coaches had Franklin best or 2nd best OG 6 of first 11 games. Turning point for Franklin (and Swans): Richmond loss. Such an awful night.
- Tippett�s last 8 rounds second only to Joey.
- Reid's injury was the knockout blow: he was in season best form at the time.
- Only Joey polled in every game he played: Hanners didn't poll in three he played; Grundy and Jack didn't poll in four.
- Rampe's 45 in the round 17 loss to West Coast was the highest score in a loss all year.
- The lowest aggregate score for any round was round 16 v Hawthorn (deservedly).
- The co-captains scored a combined total of 20 in rounds 16 and 17.

CureTheSane
13th October 2015, 03:14 PM
Hoping that Pyke hasn't been asked to hold off on the retirement in case we are unable to draft new ruck stock.

Mug Punter
13th October 2015, 03:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken Pebbles also won the B&F the season after leaving the building.

Yeah but he didn't do it with chonic knee complaints did he?

Mug Punter
13th October 2015, 03:55 PM
Hmmmm...

The reverence for the corporate life; the implication that I know best and the familiar, gratuitious and condescending advice as to how we should think....

He is certainly getting more brazen with his comments after flying under the radar, Matt80 was a terrible narcissist so I'd hate it if he came back under a different guise...

If we see ridiculous trade strategies, talk of inside extractors and incessant obsession with structure, telling us all who we should admire and how we should think then we should be wary. Relentless over-posting and fawning over business people in private life. I see some worrying signs here....

Surely the Mods can check the check the IP addresses to se if it is true and ban him if he is.

mcs
13th October 2015, 04:31 PM
He is certainly getting more brazen with his comments after flying under the radar, Matt80 was a terrible narcissist so I'd hate it if he came back under a different guise...

If we see ridiculous trade strategies, talk of inside extractors and incessant obsession with structure, telling us all who we should admire and how we should think then we should be wary. Relentless over-posting and fawning over business people in private life. I see some worrying signs here....

Surely the Mods can check the check the IP addresses to se if it is true and ban him if he is.

Out of interest (given it was discussed previously) - I think by accident (came up when I was looking for something entirely unrelated), I have solved the riddle of the username of the particular poster in question.

Remember that Australian rugby guy? he ran a 4.53 at his pro day - Sports and Racing - NFL Message Board - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000211-sports-and-racing-nfl/71283449)

Anyway, back on topic - the whole Pykey thing is a bit odd. It will surely ultimately depend on whether we do get a senior ruckman in during this trading period or not. If we don't, then I can't see us not keeping him on the list, even if he is likely to only be able to play 50 or 60 per cent of our games next year.

Untamed Snark
13th October 2015, 05:43 PM
Hmmmm...

You left out the bit were an associate or family member is close to famous person in question (in this case Jesinta)

13th October 2015, 06:53 PM
It's somewhat ironic that if 6'2,220,4.53 (& the cross code interest is consistent in his user name) is indeed Matt80, that he has unintentionally & inadvertently derailed the "Pyke retires" thread by getting so many of us (me included) posting off topic with conjecture about him/them ...

Beerman
13th October 2015, 09:17 PM
I think this is slightly different to corporate life. When a person leaves an employer, it is not generally as a complete change of career, which is what Pyke would be doing. In any event, I don't have any problems with Swans persuading him to stay (if that's what they've done). In fact, I think we really need him to stay on as I'm not as upbeat about Nankervis as many on this site.

I wonder if he (and they) are holding off to see what falls out of the trade period. If we get Sinclair, then Pyke might go ahead with the retirement, otherwise he might hang on for one more year.

crackedactor
14th October 2015, 12:38 PM
I think this is slightly different to corporate life. When a person leaves an employer, it is not generally as a complete change of career, which is what Pyke would be doing. In any event, I don't have any problems with Swans persuading him to stay (if that's what they've done). In fact, I think we really need him to stay on as I'm not as upbeat about Nankervis as many on this site.

I wonder if he (and they) are holding off to see what falls out of the trade period. If we get Sinclair, then Pyke might go ahead with the retirement, otherwise he might hang on for one more year.Radio Triple M announced this Morning that Mike Pyke will definitely retire. But then again it is triple M who said it???

AnnieH
14th October 2015, 12:51 PM
I'm loving the speculation.
Has anyone asked Myke?

Untamed Snark
14th October 2015, 02:10 PM
Has anyone asked Myke?

Don't be silly

Conor_Dillon
14th October 2015, 04:06 PM
Has anyone asked Myke?

He's probably busy on a work junket in Bangkok with his corporate buddies getting up to antics that would put football players to shame :hmmmm2:

Bloods05
14th October 2015, 06:26 PM
He's probably busy on a work junket in Bangkok with his corporate buddies getting up to antics that would put football players to shame :hmmmm2:

Love it.

gazza
14th October 2015, 06:37 PM
so all the media know more than pykey or the swans. no need for an official announcement. just believe everything the papers say

stevoswan
14th October 2015, 06:40 PM

Now that we've got Sinclair, he's probably really putting the pedal to the metal now!:D Good luck to him, whatever he decides.

Conor_Dillon
16th October 2015, 03:23 PM
Pyke officially retired as per his Twitter.

Thanks for the memories, one of the all-time great Australian sports stories.

churry
16th October 2015, 03:28 PM
Here is his tweet, what a legend! What a career.

Check out @mikepyke38's Tweet: Mike Pyke on Twitter: "http://t.co/jQZ9YWIrGJ" (https://twitter.com/mikepyke38/status/654873689276596224?s=15)

Conor_Dillon
16th October 2015, 03:30 PM
Here is his tweet, what a legend! What a career.

Check out @mikepyke38's Tweet: Mike Pyke on Twitter: "http://t.co/jQZ9YWIrGJ" (https://twitter.com/mikepyke38/status/654873689276596224?s=15)

Best retirement message to date so far, what a man!

crackedactor
16th October 2015, 03:38 PM
Best retirement message to date so far, what a man! He will leave a legacy that will be remembered, especially the 2012 GF. You taught the commentators who mocked you a real lesson.

Ludwig
16th October 2015, 03:45 PM
Mike Pyke is a classy guy. Great retirement pic. I was a big fan and it's sad that he struggled the past 2 seasons with injury after having such a stellar 2013. He gave it his best and he's left on his own terms. Congratulations Mike.

lwjoyner
16th October 2015, 04:08 PM
Surely its poor form that the Swans have not made an announcement on its web site. This retirement has been handled poorly.

cartman48
16th October 2015, 04:11 PM
Congrats on a wonderful career Mike.

magic.merkin
16th October 2015, 04:34 PM
Surely its poor form that the Swans have not made an announcement on its web site. This retirement has been handled poorly.

I disagree, it was his call obviously being contracted. The club let him handle it and told us he was weighing up his options when asked. Here we are.

DA_Swan
16th October 2015, 05:08 PM
Good career and did more that I ever expected - as our coaches would say - he always gave a contest which is all we could ask given his background - personally considering all the hype around an ex NRL player playing NFL I think Mike's achievements will be far greater than his will ever be !!

gossipcom
16th October 2015, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the memories Mike!

And Swans have put it up on their website.

Pyke's remarkable career ends - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-10-16/pykes-remarkable-career-ends)

dimelb
16th October 2015, 05:30 PM
The fantastic MikePyke - will be seen as a fabled career. Best wishes for the future.

gazza
16th October 2015, 05:52 PM
thank you pykey for your efforts, good luck for the future

YvonneH
16th October 2015, 06:06 PM
Sounds as if Mike waited to see if we recruited a ruckman before making the announcement.
Good luck Mike in your future endeavours.
Will he stay in Australia (for the next 18 years) so we can draft Jorge? Just kidding.

liz
16th October 2015, 06:13 PM
Sounds as if Mike waited to see if we recruited a ruckman before making the announcement.
Good luck Mike in your future endeavours.
Will he stay in Australia (for the next 18 years) so we can draft Jorge? Just kidding.

He's already indicated he plans to stay in Sydney.

CJK
16th October 2015, 06:36 PM
All class from Mike. As usual.

Amazing to see someone live in sydney with a young family. Just amazing. How does he do it? Canada IS EVEN FURTHER THAN WA. Just amazing.

Meg
16th October 2015, 11:52 PM
Just watched the video interview. What a classy farewell. I'm feeling very sad - my two favourite players, for very different reasons, have been numbers 37 and 38. And now they've both gone!

Rod_
17th October 2015, 12:02 AM
Thanks Mike Pike, fabulous efforts.

Swansinger
17th October 2015, 09:35 AM
I remember Mike looking at me at the 2012 GF parade as I called out "Oh no ! A Canadian ?!" He gave a polite half-smile in reply - good to hear that he did get our sense of humour , saying he appreciated the jokes.
Anyway , all the best , Pykey - you were immense in that GF , especially after Mummy went off.

goswannies
17th October 2015, 03:02 PM
Mike Pyke ... premiership player, once the second best contested mark in the AFL, almost an All Australian, definitely all Canadian, greatest Canadian to have played AFL football (leads Canadians in every stat category), AND genuine contender for point of the century ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VvuFyhZ0RWE

Thank you for an amazing career Mike :)

Meg
18th October 2015, 11:29 PM
I just looked at the Pyke highlights video again. Heck he was good end 2012 and through 2013 before his injured knee cruelled him.

And such a humble man, in his interview he made no mention of his knee, simply said he got to the point where he thought he had no further improvement left in him. If it hadn't been for that troublesome knee I think we would have seen a lot more improvement.

I'm proud Mike Pyke was a Swan.

DaveyCaper
20th October 2015, 05:44 AM
Certainly a sad day for me.

I am a Canadian who lives in another Sydney, a much smaller and much less famous one, who grew to love this sport. I picked the Swans as my team a long time ago mostly for the city name but partially because the jumpers look like Canadian flags.

Who would have thought I would eventually have a fellow Canadian to cheer for on the Swans!! It was something very exciting to see him eventually become a regular and valued performer.

But it was clear that he wasn't quite at the same level he had been in the past and I think the time is probably right. It won't make me any less of a fan of the Swans in "your" Sydney but I will certainly miss him and Adam Goodes as well, who was another favorite of mine. However, on the upside, Isaac Heeney looks like he could be a real favorite of mine going forward! Time marches on and you can't keep them forever!!

So maybe not a sad day but a day to celebrate a fellow Canadian's mark on a "foreign" sport that I have adopted as my own!

jono2707
20th October 2015, 09:50 AM
Well said Davey ^

If you happen to know of any other 6'7"+ Canadians running around playing rugby who'd like to give another sport a go on the other side of the world, let us know. The first one we got was a great one!