PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing crowd/Red Caps

Damien
4th April 2004, 06:03 PM
I know it was an awful day today in Sydney - but surely we have more than 21000 people willing to brave the conditions?

It always amazes me when paid members don't turn up!!

On another note - today should have been called "red cap" day. Very funny seeing everyone with the "Swans Loyal" caps on. Looked really good.

Cheer Cheer
4th April 2004, 06:05 PM
Yes - was going to post a thread about the red caps.

Very effective - looked great and gave the crowd a sea of red colour which hasn't been seen before which was great to see. Im sure the players loved it as well.

timthefish
4th April 2004, 06:10 PM
did look good.

they should follow it up next year with a scarf (if can be economical) or a rain poncho.

swans_premiers
4th April 2004, 06:12 PM
ye i was wearing mine watchin from home

Damien
4th April 2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
did look good.

they should follow it up next year with a scarf (if can be economical) or a rain poncho.

They did the scarf as an additional "gift" for Premiership club members. It is quite a good one!.

sharpie
4th April 2004, 06:16 PM
These hats are really good. I had my doubts beforehand, expecting some 2nd rate cheapo, but it is a damn fine cap. I'm really happy with it. I reckon anyone who is happy with it should write to the Swans and let them know, maybe we'll continue to get more cool stuff in the future.

ScottH
4th April 2004, 06:29 PM
Haven't got mine yet,

But they did stand out on the TV!!

Bron
4th April 2004, 07:14 PM
Have yet to see the TV, but at the ground, the caps looked great.

desredandwhite
4th April 2004, 07:33 PM
Yep, looked bloody fantastic!

I didn't wear mine (either of my 2 caps!) but I was wearing my cap from about 2 years ago which is also bright red.

Hopefully people bring them back to games and keep wearing them. Perhaps it's a ploy by the club to get more visible red in the crowd? There is a LOT of red in the 2004 merchandise catalog.

Dave
4th April 2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Damien

Bradman stand is the worst for that.

I think the member turnout was OK considering.

The public sections were the most empty from where I sat.

barry
4th April 2004, 07:57 PM
Crowd was Ok. Freo would be our lowest drawing oponent, and RL crowds were well down today as well.

robbieando
4th April 2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by barry
Crowd was Ok. Freo would be our lowest drawing oponent, and RL crowds were well down today as well.

Freo last season at the SCG was one of the top crowds at that stadium for the season. Though today the weather was never going to do us favours in getting closer to 30,000 though the gates. Ah well things can only get better can't they????

Wardy
5th April 2004, 08:53 AM
Still, to get 21000 on a day like yesterday was a pretty good effort.

Sadly we aren't as hardy as the Melbourne fans who have no qualms about sitting in the rain, and as previously mentioned the league crowds were way down.

Agree the red caps looked great - and the premiership club scarf is really nice too. The more red and white attire the better I say!

Bring on Geelong - hopefully the weather gods will be kind to us and we get a good crowd.

have a great week everyone.

Bart
5th April 2004, 10:12 AM

OK I'm only a sample of one, but was going to bring my two year old daughter but conditions meant no go. Sunday matches are very difficult to get too with very small children.

Saturday nights suit me very nicely :)

EMJ
5th April 2004, 11:20 AM
Caps great and did have the affect the club was after "a show of colours" and transfers to show of support.
They are a great cap even hubby likes it and doesn't like wearing red. Sounds ominous but he is cool with the cap.
Scarf for premiership members is a good scarf and good quality as well.
I will write club and congratulate them on both counts.
Redback members got a blanket and a thermos - great too.

Triple B
5th April 2004, 11:45 AM
I have to say I thought the crowd figure was actually quite good considering the weather and opposition.

Doubt the Swans would be disappointed with 20,000+ yesterday.

The Boot
5th April 2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by BBB
Yes BBB, the RL brigade would be beside themselves if they could do this on Rnd 2 of ANY year, or even a final.

Good ole Mr K. Packer makes sure the seats are empty with blanket TV coverage. Adverts pick up the revenue difference of course. Still, it might be considered safer staying at home after seeing the thugs going hammer & tong in the stands last week.

As for the caps - I'm heading down to the local embroiderer for my membership number to be tattooed on the side for a custom look.

Bart
5th April 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The Boot
Good ole Mr K. Packer makes sure the seats are empty with blanket TV coverage. Adverts pick up the revenue difference of course.

Ah careful there. The Swans and the AFL fully support live against the gate in Sydney, and Channel 10 in particular should be given great credit with sticking by the club last year, even though as we well know Mary Poppins would rate better in Sydny on a Saturday night.

Comes down to the fact that yes we may sacrifice some gate, but it is a small price to pay in order to keep hammering the message at the great 4 million unwashed out there

SWANSBEST
5th April 2004, 05:31 PM
In the cicumstances, I thought the crowd was reasonable. The only NRL game on Sunday in Sydney was at Brookvale and drew 8,722.

Crowds for the AFL 280,889 average 35,111
NRL 97,810 average 13,973

This week will be interesting as Geelong are not on fire but will be looking to rebound after very harsh criticism in the Melbourne media.

Bear
5th April 2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by BBB
I have to say I thought the crowd figure was actually quite good considering the weather and opposition.

I think it was good too. Also consider Sydneysiders hate the 1pm start.

The major benefit with wet weather is that you would have got a better TV audience in Sydney as you can't go to the beach, etc, etc, so I expect ratings were good yesterday.

Perhaps another 50,000 watching on TV may actually be better than another 5,000 at the game.

Damien
5th April 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Bear
I think it was good too. Also consider Sydneysiders hate the 1pm start.

The major benefit with wet weather is that you would have got a better TV audience in Sydney as you can't go to the beach, etc, etc, so I expect ratings were good yesterday.

Perhaps another 50,000 watching on TV may actually be better than another 5,000 at the game.

I guess I will never understand the mass fluctuations in our crowds, bad weather or not. I hate how fairweather this city is.

Also to anyone comparing to League - let's not do that!! We are the only AFL option in Australia's biggest city, we have to compare to our own code!! We are always going to beat League's averages.

JF_Bay22_SCG
5th April 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
These hats are really good. I had my doubts beforehand, expecting some 2nd rate cheapo, but it is a damn fine cap. I'm really happy with it. I reckon anyone who is happy with it should write to the Swans and let them know, maybe we'll continue to get more cool stuff in the future.

There is no need, they read RWO like hawks mate.

I had similar concerns about the caps being el crappo myself (like the Cheer Squad caps-shut up Beaussie.:p ), but they are awesome. Well done to Paul G and his crew in the membership team; this move has definitely been one of your best! The whole Bill O'Reilly and Brewongle stands/concourses looked like everyone was at a communist convention; it was actually quite surreal!

Almost as surreal as me being able to use my drum for the whole match!!! :D

JF

Beaussie
5th April 2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
There is no need, they read RWO like hawks mate.

I had similar concerns about the caps being el crappo myself (like the Cheer Squad caps-shut up Beaussie.:p ), but they are awesome. Well done to Paul G and his crew in the membership team; this move has definitely been one of your best! The whole Bill O'Reilly and Brewongle stands/concourses looked like everyone was at a communist convention; it was actually quite surreal!

Almost as surreal as me being able to use my drum for the whole match!!! :D

JF

What do you mean Jules, those CS caps look great. :D

I just hope our members wear the red caps and more red attire each home game. A sea of red every game would be fantastic.

Jeffers1984
5th April 2004, 10:17 PM
wore my red cap today going to TAFE and saw a few people wearing it at Redfern Station in the morning...great to see!!

Destructive
5th April 2004, 10:25 PM
They did the scarf as an additional "gift" for Premiership club members. It is quite a good one!.

Norris Lurkers brother, Mr Andy Roo had a membership up to '99 and then went overseas. The Lurker has kept up his membership and got a premiership membership this year. I just got a normal one. Norris gave me The Roo's scarf seeing as he would'nt be using it.

Thanks Norris!

swan_song
7th April 2004, 01:21 PM
Very pleased with cap...it doesn't seem to be a cheapo...and it actually fits! As a BIG HEAD -- and someone whose hairstyle is straight from the 60s and 70s -- most other baseball caps never fit me (or I have to put the strap on the last hole, which soon causes the little bobble to break off...thats even tue of my blue puma swans cap).
Good job Swans heirarchy!

dendol
7th April 2004, 03:03 PM
speaking of caps, I saw an old supporter wearing his orange swans cap at the game. He must have been wearing it everywhere he went for years and years. God bless him!

And there was another guy with his red and off-white scarf.. :p