PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Sponsors a Real Concern

Beaussie
5th April 2004, 04:31 PM
Not sure if others noticed yesterday, but a lot of the sponsor signage around the ground was blank. I would have thought after making the PF last year we would have sponsors desperate to jump on board.

What is our marketing department doing? It's not as if we don't need the extra income.

Where's Bing Lee now that they've dumped the Bulldogs and NRL?

motorace_182
5th April 2004, 04:39 PM
IIRC, we had the same issue lsat year, and the year before, but last season was worse off, but they then fill up quite quickly when businesses see empty spaces on the field of a winning team, with their name waiting to be put on.

Beaussie
5th April 2004, 04:56 PM
I hope you're right. Still I can't remember our first game ever have so much blank sponsor signs around the ground.

Adz
5th April 2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah i must say they certainly did stick out to me. I cant remember noticing them so much even last season. Certainly a worry after our successful last season. WHERE ARE ALL THE SPONSORS GONE ?

Bear
5th April 2004, 05:25 PM
Which side of the ground are we talking? Looking at the important side (O'Rielly side where the TV cameras are pointed), all spots were full i think.

BTW, the Swans have sold all MAJOR sponsorship categories in 2004, being shorts, jumper, coach, equipment, etc. So things are ok.

Perhaps we can do better in the corporate hospitality area, I don't have details on these sales.

Beaussie
5th April 2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Bear
[B]Which side of the ground are we talking? Looking at the important side (O'Rielly side where the TV cameras are pointed), all spots were full i think.

The O'Rielly had blank signs above every exit and a large vacant spot on the actual stand in the right right hand corner. Not to mention the Messenger Stand, Walters Stand, Churchill, Brewrongle and the concourse signage. Most of which are on the important side where the cameras are faced. Hopefully potential sponsors see this and quickly jump on board.

Originally posted by Bear BTW, the Swans have sold all MAJOR sponsorship categories in 2004, being shorts, jumper, coach, equipment, etc. So things are ok.

That is indeed good news, however I'm still worried about the ground sponsors.

Bear
5th April 2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Beaussie
The O'Rielly had blank signs above every exit and a large vacant spot on the actual stand in the right right hand corner. Not to mention the Messenger Stand, Walters Stand, Churchill, Brewrongle and the concourse signage. Most of which are on the important side where the cameras are faced. Hopefully potential sponsors see this and quickly jump on board.

That is indeed good news, however I'm still worried about the ground sponsors.

OK. The ground fences were full though, as well as the main O'Rielly signs, which combined would bring in over 90% of the potential revenue, but I'm sure they'll fill the gaps once we win the next 3!! :D

Triple B
5th April 2004, 06:28 PM
Is this a Swans thing or an SCG thing?

The Swans lease the ground from the SCG trust, they don't own it!!

Unless the signage can be removed and replaced for different events, which I'm sure it cannot be, then it has nothing to do with the Swans.

Happy to be proven wrong on this.

bricon
5th April 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by BBB
Is this a Swans thing or an SCG thing?

The Swans lease the ground from the SCG trust, they don't own it!!

The principal ground hirers sell the vast majority of signage at the SCG. That is the NSW Cricket Association in summer and the Sydney Swans in winter. These organizations essentially rent a ?clean ground? from the SCG Trust and they usually offer ground signage as part of their own sponsorship packages, if there is still unsold space after as many sponsorship packages have been sold as possible, the principal hirers will offer signage separately.

Any casual hirers (like concerts and one off rugby league games) cannot usually hire a ?clean ground?, the existing signage stays in place and the casual hirer will place their sponsorship signs wherever they can ? but not obstructing the existing principal hirers sponsors? signage. Major events (like Olympic Games rugby and soccer world cups etc) ALWAYS insist that venues are ?clean? of signage ? that was one of the reasons that New Zealand lost the rights to host part of last years? Rugby World Cup.

Bear
5th April 2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by bricon
The principal ground hirers sell the vast majority of signage at the SCG. That is the NSW Cricket Association in summer and the Sydney Swans in winter. These organizations essentially rent a ?clean ground? from the SCG Trust and they usually offer ground signage as part of their own sponsorship packages, if there is still unsold space after as many sponsorship packages have been sold as possible, the principal hirers will offer signage separately.

Any casual hirers (like concerts and one off rugby league games) cannot usually hire a ?clean ground?, the existing signage stays in place and the casual hirer will place their sponsorship signs wherever they can ? but not obstructing the existing principal hirers sponsors? signage. Major events (like Olympic Games rugby and soccer world cups etc) ALWAYS insist that venues are ?clean? of signage ? that was one of the reasons that New Zealand lost the rights to host part of last years? Rugby World Cup.

Yes, you will notice that the Swans' sponsors are on the signs such as QBE, Ford, Puma, Panasonic, etc, with the AFL getting some signage rights for their major partner (Toyota).

Triple B
5th April 2004, 07:18 PM
Sounds reasonable. :)

Wardy
6th April 2004, 08:56 AM
We noticed that too - but the signage on the main Brewongle stand (in the middle tier) if I recall correctly was mosty Tower Life signage - They may have pulled out of the SCG as it had been there for a few years.

Interesting to see if the Tower signage has been removed from the MCG as well - coz there was an awful lot of it there too.

Diego
6th April 2004, 10:39 AM
Well take advantage of the blank spaces folks and cover them with banners. Funny ones or inspiring ones.

I rather a banner than a blank grey spot.

I doubt they will tell you to take them down, after all they are just cover grey blank spots.