PDA

View Full Version : Aka and Macca -this week

Troy G
5th April 2004, 08:04 PM
Very funny .....they had Michael Voss on and it was him , did a big intro he came on and they aksed him straight up, "how's the knee?". Voss after a pause said, "good" and they said "okay thanks very much for that , that was Michael Voss and we'll talk to him each week" and went on with the show...

floppinab
27th April 2005, 10:43 AM
And now we see Akka in the poo yet again.

I heard the grab this morning and frankly cannot believe the hysteria regarding his comment.

I'm probably missing something there but I reckon I've heard the term monkeys on radio at at least 2 other stations when referring to station management/general working staff.

Any inside goss Troy

Charlie
27th April 2005, 01:10 PM
Completely ridiculous. Akermanis is part-aborigine himself - I can't imagine him making racist slurs towards people whose heritage he shares.

ROK Lobster
27th April 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Akermanis is part-aborigine himself
I don't think he has any indigenous ancestry, but could be wrong. I think that he thought he may have had at some stage but had since discovered he was wrong...

Poor choice of words from Aker. Some words carry a fair bit of baggage with them. Just ask Bert Newton.

Charlie
27th April 2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I don't think he has any indigenous ancestry, but could be wrong. I think that he thought he may have had at some stage but had since discovered he was wrong...

Poor choice of words from Aker. Some words carry a fair bit of baggage with them. Just ask Bert Newton.

Really?

I still find it doubtful that someone who even believed that they were of aboriginal descent would make racist remarks. Poor choice of words, perhaps - but I can't see any malice or bigotry in them. Just Aker being his typical thoughtless self.

ROK Lobster
27th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Really?

I still find it doubtful that someone who even believed that they were of aboriginal descent would make racist remarks. Poor choice of words, perhaps - but I can't see any malice or bigotry in them. Just Aker being his typical thoughtless self.
As for Aker's heritage, I think I am right Charlie but I don't really know.

I would hope that he intended no malice or bigotry too, and expect that, as you say, it was a case of a lack of thought and a mouth than runs more quickly than its brain.

Sanecow
27th April 2005, 01:32 PM
He's more like Hewitt every day; at least he didn't say "spastic".

NMWBloods
27th April 2005, 02:16 PM
I believe Akermanis does have some aboriginal heritage. What did he say?

floppinab
27th April 2005, 03:47 PM
Can't remember word for word but in the context of having a show that is too short it was something like :

"I can't understand why the monkeys upstairs can't give us another half an hour Macca"

As I said I reckon I've heard Jay and The Doc. on JJJ say something similar 100 odd times.

NMWBloods
27th April 2005, 04:08 PM
So there is an uproar over him using 'monkeys' to describe the people controlling the programme!?! How absurd! :rolleyes:

ScottH
27th April 2005, 08:14 PM
Doesn't matter, he's on triple MMM now!!

GoSouth33
27th April 2005, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ROK Lobster
[B]I don't think he has any indigenous ancestry, but could be wrong. I think that he thought he may have had at some stage but had since discovered he was wrong...

You have to search lots of sites before you get any indication about his heritage. Have a look at the site below..... he certainly appears there.......

Here's one quote:-

"Aboriginal Footballing achievements
Players of Aboriginal descent have won:
Two Brownlow Medals: Gavin Wanganeen (1993), then an Essendon player but now at Port Adelaide and Jason Akermanis of Brisbane in 2001."

(PS This pre-dated Goodesy's win in 2003)

http://www.leopold.vic.edu.au/afl_aboriginal_players.htm

ROK Lobster
27th April 2005, 11:53 PM
Well I searched for 10 seconds and found this...

BRISBANE Lion Jason Akermanis has finally spoken about speculation concerning his heritage, explaining how it was thought that he had Aboriginal blood but how that thought is incorrect.

It goes on a little. Source is a site called "Aboriginal Football", the page can be found here (http://www.aboriginalfootball.com.au/october.html)

GoSouth33
28th April 2005, 12:02 AM
Touche ROK. I'll never doubt you again.

ScottH
28th April 2005, 06:56 AM
Tis amazing, players say they have aboriginal blood, Aker thinks he has too.

Players say the suffer depression, Akers says he does too.

Players say that he is a wanker, Aker thinks he is!!!!

Troy G
28th April 2005, 03:05 PM
No inside goss.

My personal opinion was that the show was too big on hype and promotion of sponsors, but I really think that Craig was good radio talent and could do really well as a broadcaster if someone else gives him another opportunity.

motorace_182
28th April 2005, 10:12 PM
On "The Shebang", on Triple M this sarvo, Aker said that the radio bosses asked him to apologise, never use the word again and give them $20,000 for him to come back on... He obviously turned em down and got over it.

peterh_oz
1st May 2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
And now we see Akka in the poo yet again.

I heard the grab this morning and frankly cannot believe the hysteria regarding his comment.

I'm probably missing something there but I reckon I've heard the term monkeys on radio at at least 2 other stations when referring to station management/general working staff.

Any inside goss Troy

Maybe he should sue THEM for discrimination ... They won't allow him to say it yet if they said it or if he said it about any other station it'd be ok. THAT is discriminatory!

I wonder if they realise just how stupid they look.

It is about as racist as Sam Newman re: Nicky Winmar. Or as racist as Ernie Dingo wearing a grey-red wig to look like me!