PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the ball

Go Swannies
7th April 2004, 06:03 PM
Did anyone else notice a new development at the Freo game? There were quite a few times when a player was tackled while holding the ball but dropped it at the start of the tackle and play just continued rather than a penalty awarded for holding the ball. We did it a lot; they did it a few times. I've never seen it happen so often - or been so rarely penalised.

Barry Schneider
7th April 2004, 06:07 PM
Dropping the ball, holding the ball, not disposing of the ball after being given prior opportunity, whatever you call it umpires simply don't pay it anymore and it drives me mad.

dendol
7th April 2004, 06:19 PM
Are you referring to when a player picks up the ball and gets tackled immediately, or if a player has clearly had prior opportunity but doesnt get penalised.

Maybe they are looking at getting the game more free flowing, so less free kicks?
:confused:

Go Swannies
7th April 2004, 06:37 PM
I've seen both - prior opportunity and immediate tackle. In both cases, the tackle has been good so both arms are held. But rather than contunuing to hold the ball and wait to see if it's a bounce or a free, the player releases the ball and hopes that one of his team gets there first.

It does speed up the game but it's a shift from other years. Just chance or new interpretation?

BAM_BAM
7th April 2004, 07:36 PM
there was the case in Q1 where McManus was running down the wing and Stuie tackled him. Just as he got to the boundary. McManus dropped the ball as he was tackled. I clearly thought it was HTB, but a throw in took place. Same quarter on the opposite side of the field a similar thing happened where a swan (can't remember who, J Bolton?) dropped the ball when tackled and it was play on.

As long as they're consistant I don't see a problem.

Nico
7th April 2004, 09:23 PM
There is a fine line in all this HTB/DTB stuff.

Usually if the force of the tackle forces the ball from a players hands in the first instance it is play on. If the player say, dodges and has prior opportunity, it should be HTB. But then again it does not always happen.

What you need to watch for is the close in quick handball, which is the legitimate way of disposing. Players will do this as a means of trying to dispose of the pill a fraction before the tackle, then throw the arms back to try to milk a free.

Most times in this case, unless the umpire is on the right side, play on will be called as it looks like the tackle has forced the ball out.

This move by players evolved out of the "Kevin Bartlett" pretend bounce ploy, which saw the throwing out in front of the footy, disguised as a bounce, being deemed a throw, and rightly so.

So the way around it was to do the dinky handball. It seems to have proliferated recently as a tactic to pull a free kick.

Hard job being an umpire. I recommend every supporter have a go at it, then maybe some will take a more tolerant view of umpiring.

sharpie
7th April 2004, 11:03 PM
The one that gets me a bit confused is where you've got two players chasing a loose ball, one dives on it to gain possession but is immediately wrapped up and then gets pinged for holding the ball. Surely the guy making the attempt at winning the ball should be awarded for his attacking play instead of just waiting to lay a tackle on the pther bloke.

The Boot
7th April 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Hard job being an umpire. I recommend every supporter have a go at it, then maybe some will take a more tolerant view of umpiring.
I knew a colleague who worked an executive job by day, and was flown around the country to do umpiring "at the highest level". Paid him (from rememburry) sumpin' like $1200 (gross?) in about yr 2000.

It must have gone up by now. And goal umpires - were getting in the order of about $800. Not bad for tipping the head sideways when Baz splits the stix, and then holding the fingers a regulation width apart.

He said you simply get your start in local league, do well, and ther'll inevitably be someone scouting the good ones.

What's stopping youze?
:)

sharpie
7th April 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by The Boot
And goal umpires - were getting in the order of about $800. Not bad for tipping the head sideways when Baz splits the stix, and then holding the fingers a regulation width apart.

At least these guys have a sense of humour. As they walked past me in the members stand on sunday on the way into their rooms after the game, I gave them the old:

"That was some good flag waving today, boys!"

And I was greeted with a thumbs up, a huge smile and a nod of the head.

Gotta love 'em, not like those other maggots who were trying to dodge the flying phlegm (just joking!)

swansrock4eva
8th April 2004, 05:27 PM
I was under the impression that there wasn't actually a specific rule regarding DROPPING the ball - rather that there were rules regarding maintaining possession or incorrect disposal.
I.e. if the player has prior opportunity to move the ball on and doesn't and is tackled THEN tries to drop the ball, he is penalised for holding the ball. If, on the other hand, he is tackled whilst in possession and tries to drop the ball but propels it away open-handed then it can be regarded as a throw or holding the ball depending on the time in possession.

Out of interest, if there is a dropping the ball rule, what's the criteria, and the umpire signal? I can't ever recall seeing it paid if it's there...

Nico
8th April 2004, 10:03 PM
My mistake there is no dropping the ball rule. Kevin Bartlett simply let the ball go or dropped it, hence the cry "dropping the ball" instead of kicking or handballing. Eddie seems to use the dropping the ball call quite often, but what he means is that a player incorrectly disposed of it when tackled.

The rules are incorrectly disposing of ball, holding the ball when tackled and making no attempt to get rid of it, and have prior opportunity then tackled in a legitimate tackle.

The wording might be different but that's what it means. I think?

But then again we all know that James "don't touch me" Hird knows the rules better than anyone.