PDA

View Full Version : Nomination for our pre-game pump up song

MightyBloods
13th April 2016, 11:40 PM
In the tradition of one of our famous club song lines....."Shake down the thunder from the sky"

AC/DC - Thunderstruck - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM)

"Let's get thunder struck!"

Swansongster
14th April 2016, 01:14 AM
In the tradition of one of our famous club song lines....."Shake down the thunder from the sky"

AC/DC - Thunderstruck - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM)

"Let's get thunder struck!"

I'm not sure if I prefer this version but it is good.

2CELLOS - Thunderstruck [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk)

barry
14th April 2016, 07:19 AM
Sudney thunder cricket team already use it

YvonneH
14th April 2016, 09:48 AM
Sudney thunder cricket team already use it

Doesn't mean we can't use it as well. United we stand etc.
I don't particularly like this song but that is beside the point (showing my age?)

Off topic a little but what is the point of Sweet Caroline?

Untamed Snark
14th April 2016, 09:57 AM
I quite like the music they're playing for the countdown pre game (the Rubens I think?)

RogueSwan
14th April 2016, 10:01 AM
I love this as an amp-up Dirty Hearts by Dallas Crane (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgtxsOcPMGc) Nothing to do with the Swans but it makes me feel good.
Also Rusty Cage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZs_Py-1_0) fires me up, but in a more aggressive way.
This Macklemore song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zNSgSzhBfM) is great to exercise (what's that?) too

All have nothing to do with the Sydney Swans but you could convince yourself "Can't Hold Us" can have a footy angle.:smile:

Conor_Dillon
14th April 2016, 10:58 AM
The Kanye song they played in the lead up to our boys running out onto the field before Round 1 really seemed to get the crowd pumped up!

gumby_bolts
14th April 2016, 11:11 AM
Slightly off-topic but has anyone seen a copy of the countdown vid they play on the scoreboard before the first bounce? Always gets me pumped up.

dejavoodoo44
14th April 2016, 11:23 AM
Since I have something of an African music obsession, my choice would be, Victory, by the veteran Ghanaian musician, Ebo Taylor. So funky, so inspired.

Ebo Taylor "Victory (instrumental)" - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-nqnv6e9g)

Triple B
14th April 2016, 12:03 PM
The Kanye song they played in the lead up to our boys running out onto the field before Round 1 really seemed to get the crowd pumped up!

Black Skinhead. I don't particularly like the whole song, but totally agree that 30 sec start of the song which is the part they play at the SCG is a great pump up...

royboy42
14th April 2016, 12:20 PM
Yeah..what IS the point of Sweet Caroline? I know the Boston Red Sox use it but Diamond is a big fan and close to the club.

CureTheSane
14th April 2016, 12:48 PM
Yeah I like Sweet Caroline, but it has nothing to do with being inspirational other than a nice sing along.

I'd rotate songs, for a bit for fun. Need songs that everyone knows.

Up There With Sydney
Up There Cazaly
Boys Will Be Boys - Choirboys
Pressure - Billy Joel
Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
Heroes - David Bowie
No Second Prize - Jimmy Barnes
I Love It Loud by Kiss would be awesome because it has the same kind of beat as We Will Rock You, as well as an easy to sing along bit.
Likewise, Radio Ga Ga by Queen would sound amazing with everyone clapping along.
Let's Go Crazy - Prince
Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister (if we're down at half times etc)

Industrial Fan
14th April 2016, 04:30 PM
Yeah..what IS the point of Sweet Caroline? I know the Boston Red Sox use it but Diamond is a big fan and close to the club.completely cringeworthy. Wish they'd stop playing it.

Doctor
14th April 2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah I like Sweet Caroline, but it has nothing to do with being inspirational other than a nice sing along.

Up There With Sydney
Up There Cazaly
Pressure - Billy Joel
Heroes - David Bowie
I Love It Loud by Kiss would be awesome because it has the same kind of beat as We Will Rock You, as well as an easy to sing along bit.
Likewise, Radio Ga Ga by Queen would sound amazing with everyone clapping along.
Let's Go Crazy - Prince

You had me at I Love It Loud. Oh yeah!!

Sandridge
14th April 2016, 05:57 PM
Doesn't mean we can't use it as well. United we stand etc.
I don't particularly like this song but that is beside the point (showing my age?)

Thanks for asking that Yvonne!
I travelled up from Melbourne for the Goodesy farewell on Saturday and was bemused by the use of Sweet Caroline. Don't get me wrong - I'm old enough to remember and like the song but can't see how it fits in at a Swans game.
One season in the 80s, Collingwood would enter the ground to "We Can't Be Beaten" by Rose Tattoo. Hate to compliment the Pies but it was very effective!

CureTheSane
14th April 2016, 07:15 PM
One season in the 80s, Collingwood would enter the ground to "We Can't Be Beaten" by Rose Tattoo. Hate to compliment the Pies but it was very effective!

Did they win?
haha
That's the problem with using that song, imagine at opposition supporters chanting it down the ramps after the game :)

churry
14th April 2016, 07:18 PM
Venga Bus.

dejavoodoo44
14th April 2016, 08:07 PM
Did they win?
haha
That's the problem with using that song, imagine at opposition supporters chanting it down the ramps after the game :)
That's a bit like Carlton a few years back, when they came up with their arrogance before achievement slogan of, "they can hear us coming!" Unfortunately for Carlton fans leaving early, after yet another massive loss, the words, "we can see you going", could occasionally be heard.

Mug Punter
14th April 2016, 11:50 PM

Up There With Sydney
Up There Cazaly
Pressure - Billy Joel
Heroes - David Bowie
Let's Go Crazy - Prince

I quite like Neil Diamond but I'd like some variety. Clearly not a pre-game fire up but one to loosen the nerves at the first quarter change perhaps?

Amarillo by Tony Christie would get my vote

Hermes House Band - (Is This The Way To) Amarillo ft. Tony Christie - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXEHt5zLr_Q)

bloodsbigot
15th April 2016, 03:34 AM
Can never go wrong with a bit of AC DC.

Just pick a singer that's a fan of ours and use their song... no wait wait... don't do that. I hate Delta Goodrem.

neilfws
15th April 2016, 09:19 AM

Excellent question on many levels.

I can only think it's a tactic to confuse the opposition/their supporters, by planting that very question in their heads and having them search for a non-existent answer.

dejavoodoo44
15th April 2016, 09:52 AM
Excellent question on many levels.

I can only think it's a tactic to confuse the opposition/their supporters, by planting that very question in their heads and having them search for a non-existent answer.

I can see the logic behind that. Perhaps we should double up on the tactic and run out accompanied by the inspirational tones of the Benny Hill theme? Or maybe take the confusion to the max and make our entrance to Monty Python's, Every Sperm Is Sacred?

Meg
15th April 2016, 09:55 AM
What about the 'Ride of the Valkyries' by Richard Wagner. We could have video accompaniment on the big screen showing the Swans' players thundering in on horseback scooping up the bodies of the opposition.

Oops, just remembered the bodies are supposed to be fallen heroes - h'mm, I might have to re-think the imagery!

RogueSwan
15th April 2016, 10:04 AM
.. by planting that very question in their heads and having them search for a non-existent answer.

Who is Caroline and why is she so sweet? Is she the same Caroline as Concrete Blonde's Caroline? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlg91FG9m5Y) Is Outkast singing about the same lady (https://youtu.be/gWju37TZfo0?t=1m18s)? Or are Status Quo the only one to really know who she really is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHH7gsKbE0)?

jono2707
15th April 2016, 10:22 AM
Many of us are showing our age with these song suggestions....

I like Sweet Caroline. It's daggy and fun.

AnnieH
15th April 2016, 10:46 AM
I really hate sweet caroline and am quite at the point where it's ruining my personal game day.

Put the words to "Up there for Sydney" on the big screen. It's more important that everyone know the words to that song.

Sweet caroline is just irrelevant and boring.

iigrover
15th April 2016, 12:58 PM
Im all for a bit of a Neil Diamond singalong, but I do think he has a time and a place. I thought it was a bit of fun when they first did Sweet Caroline, but Im over it now. It just hasnt been adopted by the crowd in the same way as Port Power's Never tear us apart. Its all a bit half hearted really. Time to try something else - something very Sydney that the crowd can 'own'. Im not sure what that is though...

Doctor
15th April 2016, 12:58 PM
Sweet Caroline is just SO daggy and is also shamelessly borrowed from the Red Sox, where it at least has some relevance. I like the idea, I would just like us to pick something else that we can make ours. It should be fun and maybe a bit quirky, and not schmaltzy, clich�d or bogan. Preferably also not used by any other major sporting team prominent enough that it looks like we're ripping them off (and yes I know our club song is the Notre Dame Fighting March).

As for suggestions, I don't have any right now, but I'm working on it.

Swansongster
15th April 2016, 01:51 PM
What we want is a crowd anthem that makes the hair stand on the back of your neck as the home crowd sings pre-game with scarves in the air.

Something to rival Liverpool's "Never Walk Alone" and even Port's "Never Tear us Apart" which I think is awesome too. Must include lyrics that mean something in the fans/players/club relationship.

Not saying these are the best two options but possibilities nevertheless when you think of passionate sing-alongs to the chorus. I'm sure the collective wisdom of RWOers can do better but these might work.

Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over"

"Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win""

From the same band Better Be Home Soon" might work.

"And I know I'm right
For the first time in my life
That's why I tell you
You'd better be home soon"

Or,

Hunters and Collectors' "Throw Your Arms Around Me"

"And we may never meet again
So shed your skin and let's get started
And you will throw your arms around me
Yeah, you will throw your arms around me"

liz
15th April 2016, 02:05 PM
When did the Sweet Caroline "tradition" start? I think I only became aware of it halfway through last season.

If it had been allowed to die a death at the end of 2015, I think it would have gone down as a quirky little event, specific to a particular season. The fact it has survived into 2016 makes it feel like it's being forced onto the crowd as a regular feature of game day, based on some half-hearted response from a small section of the crowd.

monopoly19
15th April 2016, 02:23 PM
I haaaaattttteee Sweet Caroline being played every game. Someone make it stop!

ScottH
15th April 2016, 02:26 PM
This weekend could be something from Counting Crows??

Beerman
15th April 2016, 02:30 PM
Who is Caroline and why is she so sweet?

Good question! Diamond has both claimed and denied that the song was inspired by Caroline Kennedy.

When I first heard it I was "No, no, no, no, NO!" Then I moved on to "this is so bad it's actually entertaining", but the jokes over now. Good try, but let's move on.

Neil Diamonds not my first choice, but if you have to have one of his songs then I would think something like Crunchy Granola Suite would be better.

bodgie
15th April 2016, 03:03 PM
Please. No 'rev up' song at all.

dimelb
15th April 2016, 03:39 PM
The Marseillaise is pretty good, and bloodthirsty.

Oh, hang on ...