PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 4 Match Day Thread Adelaide Crows V Sydney Swans. 19.10pm (ACST) Adelaide Oval.

aardvark
16th April 2016, 09:41 AM

Todays big questions, Is Maccas pointing finger match fit? Will Tippo wear ear plugs? and where is Callum Sinclair hiding? Can Tom Papley kick more goals than Eddie?

Swannies by 45. Go lads!

liz
16th April 2016, 10:22 AM
I think you may have people tuning in a couple of hours early with this thread!

Nico
16th April 2016, 10:38 AM

Todays big questions, Is Maccas pointing finger match fit? Will Tippo wear ear plugs? and where is Callum Sinclair hiding? Can Tom Papley kick more goals than Eddie?

Swannies by 45. Go lads!

Are they playing ducks and drakes with Sinclair?

aardvark
16th April 2016, 10:41 AM
I think you may have people tuning in a couple of hours early with this thread!

Oops i'll get it right one week. 19.10pm everyone!!!!! At least they won't miss the bounce. You could correct that for me thx Liz.

- - - Updated - - -

Are they playing ducks and drakes with Sinclair?

Not sure what's going on there.

ugg
16th April 2016, 10:43 AM
For those really confused it's 1910 or 7:10pm Adelaide time or 1940 or 7:40pm Eastern Standard Time

ugg
16th April 2016, 10:47 AM
Just on Sinclair, I was watching Thursday's AFL360 this morning and when they were previewing this game they had some training footage (I'm assuming it's from this week). There was one shot where the whole playing group were jogging around the SCG. I couldn't spot Sinclair in that group, even though I saw injured guys like Rohan and Naismith amongst that group.

Nothing conclusive but could support the theory he is out.

liz
16th April 2016, 11:05 AM
Oops i'll get it right one week. 19.10pm everyone!!!!! At least they won't miss the bounce. You could correct that for me thx Liz.

That I could! And I have.

Levii3
16th April 2016, 02:11 PM
If we win by 45 that would be surprising.. We need a way to shut or keep brodie smith out of the game plays a similar role Heath Shaw

Just looking at next week Nic Nat has taken out his opposing ruck man the last two weeks

stellation
16th April 2016, 06:05 PM
If the good people of Adelaide opt to quietly, politely voice their displeasure to young Kurt I hope that it affords them some closure.

aguy
16th April 2016, 07:01 PM
Neil Cordy is now reporting that Callum Sinclair is out tonight

ugg
16th April 2016, 07:01 PM
Neil Cordy has tweeted Sinclair is out

stellation
16th April 2016, 07:18 PM
In his first few games Callum has shown a pretty handy ability to get open around the ground, aside from the ruck/forward 50 work I think that would have been handy tonight.

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 07:20 PM
We were all pretty certain he was out but has there been any reports on why???

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Levii3
16th April 2016, 07:25 PM
I can't believe Nankervis is playing again in the seniors... He'd have to play as forward mostly he's soo slow

liz
16th April 2016, 07:26 PM
We were all pretty certain he was out but has there been any reports on why???

Foot infection, according to the Swans' website (probably pretty reliable!)

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 07:27 PM
Hopefully it's just a 1 week injury then.

ugg
16th April 2016, 07:28 PM
I can't believe Nankervis is playing again in the seniors... He'd have to play as forward mostly he's soo slow

Tippett has been playing about 75% ruck anyway. I don't think it will affect the balance too much.

Faunac8
16th April 2016, 07:36 PM
Why don't we wait to see how Toby goes before we start the bagging?

goswannies
16th April 2016, 07:39 PM

Leather poisoning from too many kicks in the last few weeks? Jetta should be safe

Levii3
16th April 2016, 07:41 PM
I don't mind Toby as a ruck man but as a forward he's not the most desirable

stellation
16th April 2016, 07:45 PM
Lions/Suns looks headed for a decent last quarter if anyone's twiddling their thumbs whilst waiting for the main event.

stellation
16th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Leather poisoning from too many kicks in the last few weeks? Jetta should be safe

Lewis has had more kicks in his 3 games this year than Callum has. :D

mcs
16th April 2016, 08:22 PM
Big loss with Sinclair out - nankervis just has to give a contest around the ground - best we can hope for.

The crows fans have been out in force practicing their booing early at the ground - should be a good atmosphere!

Come on swannies!

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 08:27 PM
Play Nankervis mainly in the ruck; just so Tippo can kick 5 or 6.

Ludwig
16th April 2016, 08:28 PM
All the favourites played poorly today so far. Hawthorn were lucky to win; saved by a couple of poor 15 mtr umpiring calls. The umps are hot on that this week, but they're getting so many wrong. Brisbane the first underdog to actually win.

Nanka due for a breakout game. He may look slow, but he's got a lot of momentum when he's on the move. Will be looking to cement his spot as the travelling emergency ruckman. With a good game tonight could come into AA consideration.

Cheer_Cheer
16th April 2016, 08:30 PM
Eddie again.. Nooooooooo !

Mel_C
16th April 2016, 08:32 PM
Great....Eddie hosting and Dermie commentating! I bet Dwayne will be there as well to top it off.

Daisi
16th April 2016, 08:32 PM
UGH Eddie.....and he's already got the name of the oval wrong...this will be a 'great' broadcast...*sarcasm*

stellation
16th April 2016, 08:38 PM
Great....Eddie hosting and Dermie commentating! I bet Dwayne will be there as well to top it off.

I quite like Dermie's commentating. :)

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 08:51 PM
Ted has started poorly. Out on the full and out marked twice. Hope he lifts!

Wardy
16th April 2016, 08:54 PM
I have to give Riccuto kudos - he's not being as biased as Brereton is.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 08:58 PM
Umps are intimidated by the crowd

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 08:59 PM
Bloody wasteful start! Umpires are starting to get involved too which is a worry!

Wardy
16th April 2016, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking we swans supporters at the SCG need to get louder and show more passion - we are passive compared to this lot!

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 09:05 PM
Geez Buddy's hands are horrible! Doesn't look on tonight. He's not the best overhead mark to begin with but he's dropped a couple he definitely should have taken!

Mel_C
16th April 2016, 09:05 PM
Yes I agree we are being wasteful. We are not clean with the ball. And why aren't our forwards playing in front??

Umpires are giving them very soft frees in front of goal!

Benny has started well.

Jack might have concussion :(.

ugg
16th April 2016, 09:12 PM
Forward pressure has been amazing. If we were just a little cleaner going forward.

liz
16th April 2016, 09:12 PM
Nothing wrong with the umpiring. If you think the Crows frees were soft, Cunningham's was a little hard on the Crows.

Just a great contest at the moment and being played at a breakneck speed. Wonder how long both teams can keep this up for. Swans mids have been great winning the ball but they're back to the kick and hope when bringing it forward. They just need to take an extra second or two to kick to a forward's advantage.

I think McGlynn is answering those who think he's past it!

Cheer_Cheer
16th April 2016, 09:13 PM
Our mids have been sensational so far. It is our forwards who look lost..

mcs
16th April 2016, 09:13 PM
Yes I agree we are being wasteful. We are not clean with the ball. And why aren't our forwards playing in front??

Umpires are giving them very soft frees in front of goal!

Benny has started well.

Jack might have concussion :(.

We dominated the stoppages and clearances in that quarter but our forward delivery was poor. Crows look good on the counter attack. Start delivering the ball into the forward line to advantage and we will win.

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 09:15 PM
Midfielders have been very sharp. So far Parks looks well on the way to more Brownlow votes. Now if the forwards start clunking them and the umpires stop letting the crowd umpire, then we should be right.

Legs Akimbo
16th April 2016, 09:18 PM
That is disgraceful umpiring

Daisi
16th April 2016, 09:22 PM
Yeah right...AFL is not rigged at all....Some really 'suspicious' umpire calls here......What is the betting on this game?

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 09:23 PM
That is disgraceful umpiring
We are going to struggle tonight competing with them. Buddy is having a shocker!

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 09:24 PM
Then he does that! Lol.

Daisi
16th April 2016, 09:27 PM
That should have been a goal to Harry....it wasn't conclusive that it hit the post and the umpire call should have stood, because that's what usually happens.

It should have been a mark to Rampe in the forward 50 because that's what usually happens and if it had been a black a white jumper, instead of a red and white jumper, that's what would have happened...

swannymum
16th April 2016, 09:28 PM
Seems to be a different measurement of 15m depending on which end they are at!

Mel_C
16th April 2016, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=liz;693322]Nothing wrong with the umpiring. If you think the Crows frees were soft, Cunningham's was a little hard on the Crows.
/QUOTE]

Liz the Adelaide player made no attempt to get rid of the ball. Didn't even "pretend" to bunch the ball. Clear holding the ball.

We need the posts to be moved a mm...2 posters this quarter.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=liz;693322]Nothing wrong with the umpiring. If you think the Crows frees were soft, Cunningham's was a little hard on the Crows.
/QUOTE]

Liz the Adelaide player made no attempt to get rid of the ball. Didn't even "pretend" to bunch the ball. Clear holding the ball.

We need the posts to be moved a mm...2 posters this quarter. agree Mel the umps are picking up our under 15 meters and not theirs however we are not manning up - I'm hoping the crows will be exhausted in the second half. Sadly Ted looks quite slow.
And Dermot Breteton is a total dick!!!

- - - Updated - - -

We only need to win by a point!!

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 09:47 PM
Macca looking off the pace early. We are working hard but have been wasteful and blown some chances, as have they. We have to keep up the intensity but it's going to be hard against a savage crowd and the men in green hearing them scream for a free every contest! Hopefully we can pull through.

Jeynez
16th April 2016, 09:48 PM
We were pretty lucky to get through that quarter only 2 points behind. Adelaide were thankfully really wasteful though!
For the first time this season, our mids really need to lift. We'd be getting slaughtered if it weren't for Grundy and Rampe mopping up down back

And Derm is somehow more bias than Ricciuto....

giant
16th April 2016, 09:50 PM
Is Towers AFL quality? Dead set, he's hard bloke to get a read on. Certainly sometimes doesn't seem to want to do the hard thing and makes basic awful mistakes. Guess it's easy to forget many of these fellas are just kids.

Foreign Legion
16th April 2016, 09:52 PM
Is Towers AFL quality? Dead set, he's hard bloke to get a read on. Certainly sometimes doesn't seem to want to do the hard thing and makes basic awful mistakes. Guess it's easy to forget many of these fellas are just kids.

Towers is not a kid he is 25.

He shows a lot of promise but really, if he can't cement a spot this year he is gone.

I honestly hope he does.

Melbourne_Blood
16th April 2016, 09:53 PM
McVeigh has been basically anonymous. We've been sloppier than previous weeks but the pressure is bloody intense out there so that's to be expected. Need to show a bit more composure and hit up leading forwards inside our forward 50 rather than the bombing to a pack that's been happening so far.

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 09:54 PM
One of those games that will be a bit of a classic if we win. Hopefully, Kennedy, Parker and Jack will reassert themselves in the clearances. There's still some really sharp work being done, though. And won't the combination of Heeney and Franklin give us all a lot of fun in the years to come.

longmile
16th April 2016, 09:54 PM
while the afl has got more exciting this year the umpiring has been horrendous, turning more and more into umpball

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 09:55 PM
We were pretty lucky to get through that quarter only 2 points behind. Adelaide were thankfully really wasteful though!
For the first time this season, our mids really need to lift. We'd be getting slaughtered if it weren't for Grundy and Rampe mopping up down back

And Derm is somehow more bias than Ricciuto....

Yes, Dermot likes that umpiring. Grrrr!

bloodsbigot
16th April 2016, 09:57 PM
Well Papley hasn't done anything at all. Very disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

Dermott is soooooo anti-swans. Why is he so highly regarded in media circles?

goswannies
16th April 2016, 09:59 PM
Well Papley hasn't done anything at all. Very disappointed.

He's a first year promoted rookie whose first 3 games were pretty solid. I'm willing to cut him a little slack, myself

mcs
16th April 2016, 10:01 PM
High pressure footy with lots of mistakes. As per quarter time we need better composure going forward if we are going to win

bloodsbigot
16th April 2016, 10:02 PM
He's a first year promoted rookie whose first 3 games were pretty solid. I'm willing to cut him a little slack, myself

Of course. I was just expecting a bit too much I guess. Saw him through rose-coloured glasses.

goswannies
16th April 2016, 10:04 PM
Of course. I was just expecting a bit too much I guess. Saw him through rose-coloured glasses.

James Rose coloured glasses?

Wardy
Is Papley playing?

stellation
Roo, one my favourite players of all time, with the Paul Kelly comparison for young Isaac.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:09 PM
Roo is contradicting Dermot at any opportunity - loving it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Who is on Slone?? He's getting a lot of the ball.

- - - Updated - - -

HEENEY!!!!!! Loving this young man!!

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:10 PM
Isaac! Reads the play so, so well.

Zlatorog
16th April 2016, 10:11 PM
Have we brought two players from injury interrupted season too soon?

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:15 PM
Jarrad looks like he could have done with a run in the magoos.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:16 PM
We have got to get faster and smarter with the ball - stop panicking

Cosmic Wizard
16th April 2016, 10:17 PM
Have we brought two players from injury interrupted season too soon?

Yes!!

A defence is too slow; once on the ground we are being killed!

Daisi
16th April 2016, 10:19 PM
We may not win tonight, but I'd back us against Adelaide in any neutral venue...

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:21 PM
That was a beautiful, beautiful kick to Buddy from Jarrad.

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 10:23 PM
Geez i hope Talia can get back from injury...

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:24 PM
I'm liking Nankervis.

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:25 PM
I bet Kurt enjoyed that.

Wardy
I bet Kurt enjoyed that. oh yes !!!

stellation
I'm liking Nankervis.

Agreed, I was just thinking that he's been pretty good.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:27 PM
Jesus! Who is on Slone ! Our defenders are just panicking

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:29 PM
That looked like both Laidler and Rampe went for that mark that Sloane grabbed, really should have been looking to kill it. We seem to have lost our focus and discipline a bit in this game.

Jeynez
16th April 2016, 10:31 PM
We're getting KILLED when the ball hits the ground! Just can't get our hands on the ball and give it out into space

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:35 PM
Buddy is on fire!!!

Zlatorog
16th April 2016, 10:36 PM
OK, we're back to the old inefficient club from last year. It looks like that a trashing from either WCE or Hawthorne might wake us up again.

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:37 PM
Huzzah! Parker!

Great finish to that quarter, wonderful stuff to dig deep. Adelaide looked dead on their legs towards the end then, hope that carries in to the fourth.

longmile
16th April 2016, 10:38 PM
amazing game of footy. super stressed. Our defence is looking really slow, Richards getting fed to the wolves

liz
16th April 2016, 10:39 PM
I'm liking Nankervis.

Nanker's been great.

Think the Swans' midfield is getting outplayed but there's enough class to enable the team to hang in there. Will come down to who's got more legs left in the final quarter.

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 10:39 PM
Fantastic fight back to lead at 3 qtr time! We looked like we were going to get blown away but showed great spirit in the last 5 minutes. Let's hope we can continue with the momentum and have a famous victory!

swannymum
16th April 2016, 10:40 PM
I need a Bex and a good lie down

giant
Jesus! Who is on Slone ! Our defenders are just panicking

He is a pretty useful footballer by the way.

stellation
Hanners is having a great game, the guy just never seems to stop running.

aguy
16th April 2016, 10:41 PM
I think papley is missing Callum Sinclair. It was sinclairs presence that allowed him to rove effectively in front of goals.

If we manage to win this it will be a very fine effort with a lot of sore bodies. Next week against the west coast will be very difficult

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 10:41 PM
Some brilliant football being played by both teams. I hope Kizza's concussion problems clear for the final quarter.

mcs
16th April 2016, 10:42 PM
Great finish to the quarter - wind went out of the crowd in the last 5 minutes. Need the first couple in the last and we can win. Seriously decent game of footy.

goswannies
The Adelaide supporters here are moronic, biased, ignorant flogs!

stellation
When Campo went to midfield coach school they told him it was important to do well around the contest, so...

Mel_C
16th April 2016, 10:43 PM
Didn't think we would be in front at 3/4 time!

The players must be stuffed, it has been such an intense game. The tackling has been unbelievable.

I love Heeney ????. Mills has been impressive too. Some of those marks he has taken around the ground have been great.

One more quarter swans!!

Faunac8
16th April 2016, 10:43 PM
OK, we're back to the old inefficient club from last year. It looks like that a trashing from either WCE or Hawthorne might wake us up again.

Is this a genuine response or an emotional one from how this game is playing out ?

Zlatorog
16th April 2016, 10:46 PM
Is this a genuine response or an emotional one from how this game is playing out ?
Emotional one. It didn't look very good how we played on TV. I still think something is missing there.

longmile
16th April 2016, 10:47 PM
Callum Mills is a terrible decision maker

bloodspirit
16th April 2016, 10:49 PM
Didn't think we would be in front at 3/4 time!

The players must be stuffed, it has been such an intense game. The tackling has been unbelievable.

I love Heeney ????. Mills has been impressive too. Some of those marks he has taken around the ground have been great.

One more quarter swans!!

+1 especially with regard to Heeney and Mills.

Daisi
If it's close the umpires will decide it for the home team. just wait and see

..Callum Mills is a young man who is in a very high pressure game...these things happen....

gossipcom
They should have taken Jack from the field when he got hit earlier on and not have brought him back on. He's been in particular shocking this quarter.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:50 PM
Roo is really impressive and trying to be impartial - but Brereton needs a hot pie shoved into his eyes!! (I'm not happy with that twat!)

gossipcom
16th April 2016, 10:54 PM
Awesome goal by Hanners.

stellation
16th April 2016, 10:55 PM
Great kick from Dan, but I'm pretty sure that should have been Benny's kick and they pulled a little swifty there.

gossipcom
16th April 2016, 10:57 PM
Great kick from Dan, but I'm pretty sure that should have been Benny's kick and they pulled a little swifty there.

They definitely did.

And as usual we let go of the lead yet again.

Really need to sort out our defence.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 10:57 PM
This is really an arm wrestle - but WE ONLY HAVE TO WIN BY 1 POINT!!!!

Wardy
16th April 2016, 11:04 PM
Cmon boys get another goal and slow it down

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to be plastered if this keeps up!!

- - - Updated - - -

OFFS STOCK DICKING ABOUT WITH IT!!

Mel_C
16th April 2016, 11:04 PM

Shhh...we'll take that.

We can't get more than a goal in front!

They are using the loose man in defense now so we need to watch that. Have to admire how low the crows kick it into their forward line.

None of our snaps are going through for a goal...c'mon!!

9 points now...it's going to be tough.

Daisi
16th April 2016, 11:05 PM
Oh C'mon...the adelaide players appeal for a free and they get it...they are virtually umpiring this game themselves...but nobody can fault our commitment or endeavour tonight, so we can't really complain about our players...or team...

Wardy
Rampe is playing his heart out.

gossipcom
Rampe's punching out to the boundary is going to result in a deliberate soon knowing our luck.

Jack did something that didn't involve getting knocked out again. Nice goal Isaac.

stellation
16th April 2016, 11:06 PM
Great game whatever happens.

Jeynez
16th April 2016, 11:09 PM
Towers seriously needs to work on his handballing... butchered about 4(?) tonight...

Wardy
Great game whatever happens. indeed !

stellation
Big push in the back by Eddie there I thought.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 11:10 PM
Great game whatever happens. game over

gossipcom
16th April 2016, 11:10 PM
Great game whatever happens.

Agreed. Good test away from home. Only way we'll win from here is if we string consecutive goals together which I don't see happening.

swannymum
16th April 2016, 11:12 PM
Blatant push in the back by Eddie. Wouldn't have been allowed down our end. ????

stellation
16th April 2016, 11:13 PM
Isaac Bloody Heeney!

bloodspirit
16th April 2016, 11:14 PM
Mills has Hanneberyesque like courage!!

And how wonderful is Heeney? !

gossipcom
16th April 2016, 11:14 PM
Heeney wants to give us false hope. Hehe. I'll take it until Adelaide kick another one.

Wardy
16th April 2016, 11:15 PM
Great game whatever happens. bugger!

bloodspirit
16th April 2016, 11:16 PM
What a brilliant atmosphere!

WauchopeAnalyst
16th April 2016, 11:17 PM
Cant help myself. TOWERS & MCVEIGH. Mr Anonymous. Blindness play-on to no one. Back to our normal bombing crap.

Heeney & Buddy kept us in the game.

troyjones2525
16th April 2016, 11:18 PM
Bloody disappointing result but battled hard. Adelaide are a good side, we will both play finals.

longmile
16th April 2016, 11:19 PM
Mills was great but makes terrible mistakes. Towers not good enough, McVeigh underdone.

Levii3
How was that not deliberate honestly wtf!!

Bill Posters
Game won by Eddie Betts getting away with blatant push in the back in front of goal.

stellation
16th April 2016, 11:21 PM
At some point Dean Towers is going to twig that he's faster than pretty much everyone else out there and if he gets the ball on the outside of a stoppage he should use his pace.

Cosmic Wizard
Cant help myself. TOWERS & MCVEIGH. Mr Anonymous. Blindness play-on to no one. Back to our normal bombing crap.

Heeney & Buddy kept us in the game.

And Smith has lost all ability!

But allowing Mcveigh to play with no game time, the coach has to take the blame.

Anyone would have been better than him.

Who else was in our forward line apart from buddy and heeney???

Tommy was really quite after half time as well.

Levii3
Also Eddie Betts push in the back on nick smith... Umps did a good job but were forced to give free kicks that weren't there by the crowd

Melbourne_Blood
16th April 2016, 11:23 PM
Great game. I'm not going to buy that the umpires cost us, they were pretty lenient on deliberate all night, we got away with plenty. We played our guts out, and wasted a few opportunities early in that last quarter, which probably cost us in the end. You have to give credit to the crows, they played fantastic, intense pressure footy, as did we, and get the points in the end. Really proud of our effort though, despite carrying a couple of passengers today. How good were Heeney and Mills ( despite a couple of blunders by foot).

liz
16th April 2016, 11:27 PM
Great game. I'm not going to buy that the umpires cost us, they were pretty lenient on deliberate all night, we got away with plenty. We played our guts out, and wasted a few opportunities early in that last quarter, which probably cost us in the end. You have to give credit to the crows, they played fantastic, intense pressure footy, as did we, and get the points in the end. Really proud of our effort though, despite carrying a couple of passengers today. How good were Heeney and Mills ( despite a couple of blunders by foot).

This. The last time we lost to the Crows was 2012 at the SCG. It's one of the few times I've walked away from a loss not minding too much because I knew I'd witnessed just a great game of footy. This one is much the same. Both teams were amazing in their pressure and intensity for four quarters. Several of our players were absolutely fantastic and we now know that we stack up just fine against other good teams.

If the team is as good as we hope it is, the loss of four points away from home won't matter too much.

Faunac8
16th April 2016, 11:27 PM
If there is such a thing as a good loss then that was it ????
Given the venue and the statistics we did well and at any other venue probably could have won

Levii3
16th April 2016, 11:31 PM
McVeigh should not have played said it before the game should have played in the twos for a week or two and got some touch..

Ump did do a good job but the free kicks at centre bounce weren't there

Issac Heeney is going to be a gun and Mills played a great 4th game some of marking was excellent his disposal needs to improve but this game was played like a final so great effort

I hope Sinclair will be ok for next week because Toby was superb in the ruck but he was no where in forward 50

Next week might be a tough watch the Eagles are a much better side than the Crows and their inside 50s are low flat darts we need to tag Gaff

gumby_bolts
16th April 2016, 11:31 PM
What a game, all our young players will be better for it, even Papley. I'm annoyed that McVeigh didn't do the team thing and get some fitness in the reserves before coming in.
I thought Kennedy was outstanding in the last quarter after having a quiet for him game.
Heeney - what a superstar.

dimelb
16th April 2016, 11:33 PM
An exhausting game to watch - I can only imagine what it's like for the blokes on the ground.

Pluses include McVeigh and Benny getting quality game time; great work by Buddy, Isaac, Hanners and Tippo; valuable experience for people like Jake, Dan R, Callum the Less and Toby who had a decent game despite not being up to the standard of Callum the Large.

The umpiring was iffy at times but I am coming round to the view that the outcome of the game doesn't depend on the umpiring. If we had taken a couple of our chances - e.g. Tom Papley getting two goals instead of two behinds, and I'm not blaming him in the least - it would have got us over the line.

Still, it was a terrific game to watch and we will take some significant lessons from it. The main one for me was that the Crows were much tighter in defence, and I wish we were more like that at times.

tasswan
16th April 2016, 11:37 PM
If you had said at the beginning of the year that we would be 3-1 after four games I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Especially with how many of our team are kids.
Effort was fantastic, just tended to bomb it in the last 1/4 rather than hitting shorter targets which made it easy for the Crows to rebound.

WauchopeAnalyst
16th April 2016, 11:38 PM
Hannebery nearly 40 and Joey 30 odd.

I think Cunningham in back 50 has a ton of ton and handpasses to a player in worse position and turnover for a goal. Mills decides to thread the needle in back 50, 2 players between target, and goal for them. Never required but designed by us. Not umpires.

Dont mind losing but 12 year old rubbish will get us pumped by the gun teams every time.

We have nearly no composure when needed.

I have retired this year. We will play finals, but 5-10% off in skills and structures.

Teddy is gone and Reg is terrible once it hits the ground.

Slow dinosaurs are gone.????

Another million for Hurley not Hooker.

Auntie.Gerald
16th April 2016, 11:39 PM
McGlynn not bad for second game !

I'm happy still after that loss

two or three random goals by Adelaide made the difference into leading with 10mins to go

Luke Shannon
16th April 2016, 11:40 PM
McVeigh should not have played said it before the game should have played in the twos for a week or two and got some touch..

Ump did do a good job but the free kicks at centre bounce weren't there

Issac Heeney is going to be a gun and Mills played a great 4th game some of marking was excellent his disposal needs to improve but this game was played like a final so great effort

I hope Sinclair will be ok for next week because Toby was superb in the ruck but he was no where in forward 50

Next week might be a tough watch the Eagles are a much better side than the Crows and their inside 50s are low flat darts we need to tag Gaff

Toby probably played his best game. Follow up work was great and competed strongly. Very comfortable keeping him in if Sinclair is not right.

Rampe was incredible.

Was Richards injured during the game? I don't recall him being on the field in the last quarter and Rampe was playing on Walker who would usually get Richards.

goswannies
16th April 2016, 11:41 PM
I think we missed the Sink

robamiee
16th April 2016, 11:41 PM
how many goals from free kicks though to them and i think zero to us, not saying that cost us, but really and then the push on smith by eddie (i cant do no wrong) betts, clearly in the back....

good game though, a few passengers though... i think zac jones would ahve been handy in the backline tonight though... i wouldnt mind resting mills though...
paps had a quiet game but not worth dropping, we need speed next week...reg needs to watch the ball more not so much the man 2 goals he could have saved by watching the ball....

the last ball up though i think we made the mistake by having buddy in there and not our usual brigade we needed that clearance would ahve been having buddy run from the wing

Levii3
16th April 2016, 11:44 PM
Pluses include McVeigh and Benny getting quality game time.

Theres and entire comp dedicated to getting game time McGlynn came through the reserves and even Adam Goodes played Reserves last year McVeigh just felt he was above it

barry
16th April 2016, 11:45 PM
Lost at the selection table. Playing mcveigh instead of jones ans stuffing around with towers confidence last week.

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2016, 11:46 PM
Some brilliant football played by both teams tonight. Hopefully we will get to play them in a final at the SCG later this year, where some of the decisions that went their way tonight will go our way.
In regards to a couple of people claiming that Mills is a poor decision maker, I disagree. In terms of a player that is only four games into his career, he is actually one of the best decision makers that I have ever seen. In my opinion, he has that ability that is present in many star players, where he seems to have a split second advantage in anticipation, which gives him just that little bit of extra time to take the right option.
And Heeney, what a star!

barry
16th April 2016, 11:49 PM
I don't think I'm exaggerating when i say Heeney is likely to become the greatest player in the AFL..... ever.

aardvark
16th April 2016, 11:52 PM
Happy for Nankervis, he didn't look out of place, super game from Heeney. I hope Papley gets a chance next week to redeem himself, he deserves it although i'm not sure we need him and Benny in the same team. Mills will learn a lot from tonights game and be better for the experience.

Levii3
16th April 2016, 11:53 PM
Changes for next week

Ins
James Rose, Callum Sinclair, Zac Jones

Outs
Toby Nankervis, Dean Towers?

How Jacks head?

Just on Mills he had 8 Marks second highest on ground for a 4th gamer

Doctor
16th April 2016, 11:55 PM
Well that was one hell of a game. I don't believe the umps cost us the game but they did make it hard for us. Walker's roost downfield late on was clearly deliberate under the new rule and Betts gave Smith a hugh shove in the back, but it was the 2 or 3 early on that annoyed me more. The soft one for the Lynch goal, the ridiculous one against Rampe (I think) for a push against Betts and the "not 15" HTB call early in the second. I also felt a few short passes on turnovers that led to Adelaide marks and shots weren't 15M either, but they were from turnovers, so we need to be better at not doing that.

Right, that aside, both teams were great. We played really well and we'll win more than we lose playing like that. Rampe was outstanding. Heeney was amazing. Franklin did superbly with limited opportunity and our rucks were good again. I was worried when Sinclair dropped out but Nanko did really well. Kennedy started quietly but was huge in the second half and Hanners was everywhere.

Down sides. I agree that McVeigh was short of a run and should have come back through the reserves. Papley was quiet but kept at it and bobbed up a bit more later in the game. he's young and raw and that doesn't worry me. Mills, likewise, is trying to play like a seasoned pro and is making a few mistakes with his kicking, but the upsides are enormous. Towers was a disappointment tonight and I wonder if his confidence was shaken by being left out last week. For me though, Richards was my biggest worry. I love him to death but I was concerned about what I saw tonight. Hopefully it was just a bad game.

giant
17th April 2016, 12:01 AM
Roo is really impressive and trying to be impartial - but Brereton needs a hot pie shoved into his eyes!! (I'm not happy with that twat!)

Ricciuto is an excellent commentator.

aardvark
17th April 2016, 12:04 AM
For me though, Richards was my biggest worry. I love him to death but I was concerned about what I saw tonight. Hopefully it was just a bad game.

Not sure we have anything better to replace him with although Alir had another good game in the 2's today.

- - - Updated - - -

Lost at the selection table. Playing mcveigh instead of jones ans stuffing around with towers confidence last week.

Not sure Jones would have been any better than Macca. I don't like Mills and Macca both playing HBF, neither are great defenders.

giant
17th April 2016, 12:06 AM
Fabulous game of footy, couple of pretty lucky goals for the Crows in the end made the difference.

My lordy Heeney is going to turn into a very good footballer. We might be asking a lot from Mills to be playing HBF though. some of his disposal tonight showed a fella with a lot to learn. Few of the youngsters struggled but really liked Lloyd's game and thought Nankervis held his won too. Without wanting to be cruel, you could almost argue Towers was the difference - he really was just dreadful.

Melbourne_Blood
17th April 2016, 12:08 AM
Ricciuto is an excellent commentator.

100% agree, almost goes out of his way to be unbiased. Dermott on the other hand...

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2016, 12:09 AM
Of course, once again I found myself thinking, 'Just what would be the best way to improve Dermie's commentary?'

Melbourne_Blood
17th April 2016, 12:11 AM
Not sure we have anything better to replace him with although Alir had another good game in the 2's today.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure Jones would have been any better than Macca. I don't like Mills and Macca both playing HBF, neither are great defenders.

A guy ( Mills) that continually runs back with the flight, and clunks marks in the defensive 50, I would argue, is quite a good defender. His Intercept marking by reading the play better also was great. He tackled and harassed quite well too.

Ludwig
17th April 2016, 12:20 AM
I'll add to those who appreciated a high quality intense game.

The game could have gone either way, but Adelaide deserved the win. They took it up to our midfield and beat us in the areas where we should have had a considerable advantage. However slight, they had more contested possessions and clearances. When they won the ball they took advantage of holes in our defence, an area where we were also supposed to be strong. They looked a more settled team and didn't make many errors. It was very solid performance from a quality team.

I was disappointed with our defense in general, particularly Reg and to a lesser extent Ted. We shouldn't be giving up 113 points. We also had a return of our problems of getting the ball out of our backline.

I was also hoping for more from Towers, but he doesn't seem to perform when the pressure's on. I hope the Papley miracle isn't over yet, but he had a slow one.

I was surprised to read our tackle stats. At the top of the table was Toby with 9, followed by Macca and Cunningham with 8.

I think there are several changes to come in this team over the coming weeks as we sort out which of our youngsters are truly ready for the big time. Looking forward to getting Reid and Rohan in the side.

Credit to both teams for giving footy fans a real treat.

ernie koala
17th April 2016, 12:20 AM
Can't believe the criticism of Mills I'm reading...

He had one of the great 'game 4' games you'll see. He threw himself into contest after contest, and won most of them, had 23 possessions, played well beyond his rookie status.

Both he and Heeney showed what all the draft fuss was about.

Robinson was OK. Towers was predictably terrible. Papley didn't get involved enough.

Nankervis played really well. Tippo continued his excellent form. Rampe played the best game of his career thus far.

All in all that was a cracking game and gives me great optimism about the season ahead....Can't wait for next week.

mcs
17th April 2016, 12:24 AM
Great game of footy and while i was disappointed we didnt get the points, it was what afl should be about.

Umpiring was pretty good tonight on balance, but that hands in the back free they missed late was a huge blunder at a critical stage of the game. I have no issue with a 50/50 call at that stage being missed, but there was an umpire very close and that was a clear free kick where the ump simply bottled it - that was a very poor error. Hopefully sometime along the way later in the season we will get a bit of luck to even it out.

As for our play, we just werent quite clean enough when we needed to be, but it was such a close game so cant complain too much. I thought nankervis did well but equally we missed sinclair, and our worst parts of play seemed to cluster around the times when tippo wasnt in the ruck.

Midfield brigade were pretty good, and that heeney is something special.

Adelaide bogans were fairly tame really, but kept it classy with a tippo is a wanker chant a few times. They are fairly tame in general bar one idiot that told me to f off back to sydney because i politely asked him to get out of the stairwell when we tried to exit just before the siren. Managed to make him look a fool in front of his mates when he started ranting on, so hopefully he might bave learnt something as a result!

Disappointing result but good night at the footy. Important we bounce back next week though, 4-1 would be more than respectable return after 5 rounds.

Maltopia
17th April 2016, 12:28 AM
Macca didn't have a brilliant game, but he led he was second for tackles with 8. I thought Papley, Towers and Ted were the ones who were more obviously sub-par tonight.

aardvark
17th April 2016, 12:30 AM
A guy ( Mills) that continually runs back with the flight, and clunks marks in the defensive 50, I would argue, is quite a good defender. His Intercept marking by reading the play better also was great. He tackled and harassed quite well too.

I'm happy with either Mills or Macca playing HBF but not both at the same time. I'd rather see Jones in there and either Mills or Macca up the ground. It doesn't help when Smith and Richards both get smashed as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Macca didn't have a brilliant game, but he led the team with 8 tackles.

I agree he didn't have a brilliant game, Nankervis, believe it or not, had 9 tackles.

wolftone57
17th April 2016, 12:39 AM
Toby probably played his best game. Follow up work was great and competed strongly. Very comfortable keeping him in if Sinclair is not right.

Rampe was incredible.

Was Richards injured during the game? I don't recall him being on the field in the last quarter and Rampe was playing on Walker who would usually get Richards.

Luke Teddy was moved from Walker after the first quarter. He then played on Lynch and McGovern. He was terrible beaten by every opponent tonight. His disposal the few times he got it was diabolical. I think teddy is slow and gone.

Rampe played a very good game.

One of the best games I have seen in a couple of years. High quality. A few home town non decisions got them home in the end. That and kicking the goals when they counted. A few things. for those who are pleased by Benny's game second back think again. He got 9 disposals playing in the mids. Sure he kicked goals at crucial times in the first half. But his output was not high enough. Young Tom Papley found out just how hard AFL Footy is tonight. but he fought through that and came out ok in the end. totally unsighted in the first half but managed 5 disposals and a few tackles in the second. The Adelaide backs were very good.

Not worried about this game. Chalk it down to experience. Next week we play West coast at home. I think we need to think about replacing Teddy before Talia gets back. I wonder how Aliir or X went today?

17th April 2016, 12:43 AM
Aliir best I believe

bodgie
17th April 2016, 12:46 AM
Great game to be there. Mucho intensity in the midfield, but we were exposed often without anyone to kick to up forward. Just kicking long and hoping we would be fast enough to run onto it. We succeeded sometimes, nearly enough, but its an opportunistic way to try and win a game. Heeney was a joy to watch.

goswannies
17th April 2016, 12:52 AM
From tonight's team:

Daniel Robertson 8 games
Heeney 18
Mills 4
Nankervis 6
Papley 4
Towers almost a veteran at 20 games

More than a quarter of the team have played a combined 60 games between them. A couple of points hit the post, a couple of early final quarter snaps just missed. Lost to a fair side on their home deck by less than a couple of kicks.

It's was a good effort IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Great game to be there.

Except for the parochial, ferral Crows supporters

liz
17th April 2016, 01:31 AM
Mills just occasionally takes risks he could get away with at U18 and NEAFL level but maybe not at AFL level. But overall I thought he was very very good for someone so young. He's as courageous as they come, and as good overhead as Heeney. It's certainly exciting to think we've got those two (and Parker) to run around in our midfield for the next decade.

Toby was another who belied his lack of experience (and late call up). He is slow but he clearly thinks like a footballer and doesn't just stop and spectate once the bounce has happened.

Melbourne_Blood
17th April 2016, 02:10 AM
Totally disagree with Smith having a bad game. Betts ended up with 4? True. But at least 2 of them were pretty soft over the top goals that were the result of bad turnovers by us. His work on Betts, and in general in defence was top notch. That marking contest in the last Q when he went back with the flight against two much larger crows was incredibly courageous.

aardvark
17th April 2016, 06:46 AM
For us to win Smith needed to keep Betts quiet. Didn't happen.

MattW
17th April 2016, 07:46 AM
Mills just occasionally takes risks he could get away with at U18 and NEAFL level but maybe not at AFL level. But overall I thought he was very very good for someone so young. He's as courageous as they come, and as good overhead as Heeney. It's certainly exciting to think we've got those two (and Parker) to run around in our midfield for the next decade.

Toby was another who belied his lack of experience (and late call up). He is slow but he clearly thinks like a footballer and doesn't just stop and spectate once the bounce has happened.

He's very determined, Mills. His demeanour suggests he won't be beaten. This determination manifests in incredible courage to win the ball. He does make some poor kicking decisions at times but i am certain that's down to inexperience and that he'll learn quickly.

It was great to see Heeney lift to new heights in a big game. And he's cool. You just knew he'd land that set shot from 50 with 90 sec to go.

I think we lost that in the backline. They had a shot at goal with 54% of I50 entries, we had 46%. Rampe was collosal. Laidler and Grundy were mostly good. Teddy gave up too many possessions to his opponent

CureTheSane
17th April 2016, 12:08 PM
Still say effective forward entries are poor from the Swans.
Adelaide didn't allow players to drift into position, and aside from Heeney, our players seemed a bit lazy in putting in the hard work to be either able to mark uncontested or even in one on one battles.

- - - Updated - - -

Was a great game to watch.
Not often I can sit and watch a loss and not be too upset afterwards.

Nico
17th April 2016, 12:23 PM
I didn't see the game so can only go on stats and what has been said on here.

Towers seemed to have a howler. If he is consistently soft then he will quickly go down the pecking order. He surely can't keep his spot in front of Rose.
McVeigh - appears to have been a mistake playing him. You can't afford to have under done players anymore, no matter who they are. Probably wouldn't have played if it was a final.
Jack being concussed - he has such an influence that this may have been the difference in the end.
Cracking game and I don't know that I have seen match stats so even.

Nico
17th April 2016, 12:29 PM

And Mills hardly played any footy last year. With him and Heeney at the club for many years we can't help but play finals year in year out. 2 genuine stars.

wolftone57
17th April 2016, 01:06 PM
Great game to be there. Mucho intensity in the midfield, but we were exposed often without anyone to kick to up forward. Just kicking long and hoping we would be fast enough to run onto it. We succeeded sometimes, nearly enough, but its an opportunistic way to try and win a game. Heeney was a joy to watch.

I think we were exposed for pace when Smith broke the lines. Unfortunately we had the wrong match up for him. Towers went to him late and he faded a bit. But that left Atkins and Milera to cut you up. Their runners were very good and some of our blokes didn't pay them enough attention. But that will change as our side develops. Our delivery was at times, and in some very tight situations, a bit sloppy and in the end with a couple of home town non-calls it cost us the win. I wish people would stop knocking Mills, he was very good and if you can't accept he's a kid and might make one mistake per game until he finishes developing then you are a harsh person. I hope you are as perfect in your job. but players who continually make blues even after a 200 game career are a worry.

It was a sensational game and if both of these sides keep bringing this sort of footy to the table they will both be top 4. I didn't expect anything of this year but obviously the players and coaches have other ideas. The sort of footy we are playing is super and there is huge competition for spots. Not sure about the bombing to Buddy in the last quarter. Thought we went back to the old game for a while. No player would want to have a bad game because there are a big group in the reserves who are just waiting to pounce on your spot. The reserves won by 97 points.

Three things I learned;

1. Adelaide are a top side and are very well coached. They also have huge outside depth and their insiders are pretty good too. Their defence is better than expected.

2. Heeney is just beginning to break out. The universe help the other sides when he finally does break out completely. Mills was pretty good too.

3. If Teddy gets picked next week, we risk him being weak link and against Weagles we can't afford that.

wolftone57
17th April 2016, 01:44 PM
I'll add to those who appreciated a high quality intense game.

The game could have gone either way, but Adelaide deserved the win. They took it up to our midfield and beat us in the areas where we should have had a considerable advantage. However slight, they had more contested possessions and clearances. When they won the ball they took advantage of holes in our defence, an area where we were also supposed to be strong. They looked a more settled team and didn't make many errors. It was very solid performance from a quality team.

I was disappointed with our defense in general, particularly Reg and to a lesser extent Ted. We shouldn't be giving up 113 points. We also had a return of our problems of getting the ball out of our backline.

I was also hoping for more from Towers, but he doesn't seem to perform when the pressure's on. I hope the Papley miracle isn't over yet, but he had a slow one.

I was surprised to read our tackle stats. At the top of the table was Toby with 9, followed by Macca and Cunningham with 8.

I think there are several changes to come in this team over the coming weeks as we sort out which of our youngsters are truly ready for the big time. Looking forward to getting Reid and Rohan in the side.

Credit to both teams for giving footy fans a real treat.

Ludwig I'd go the other way. At least Reg held his own in the contests and won half and half. Teddy was just diabolical. Slow, beaten in nearly every contest and disposal was a disgrace at this level.

Luke Shannon
17th April 2016, 02:00 PM
I think we were exposed for pace when Smith broke the lines. Unfortunately we had the wrong match up for him. Towers went to him late and he faded a bit. But that left Atkins and Milera to cut you up. Their runners were very good and some of our blokes didn't pay them enough attention. But that will change as our side develops. Our delivery was at times, and in some very tight situations, a bit sloppy and in the end with a couple of home town non-calls it cost us the win. I wish people would stop knocking Mills, he was very good and if you can't accept he's a kid and might make one mistake per game until he finishes developing then you are a harsh person. I hope you are as perfect in your job. but players who continually make blues even after a 200 game career are a worry.

It was a sensational game and if both of these sides keep bringing this sort of footy to the table they will both be top 4. I didn't expect anything of this year but obviously the players and coaches have other ideas. The sort of footy we are playing is super and there is huge competition for spots. Not sure about the bombing to Buddy in the last quarter. Thought we went back to the old game for a while. No player would want to have a bad game because there are a big group in the reserves who are just waiting to pounce on your spot. The reserves won by 97 points.

Three things I learned;

1. Adelaide are a top side and are very well coached. They also have huge outside depth and their insiders are pretty good too. Their defence is better than expected.

2. Heeney is just beginning to break out. The universe help the other sides when he finally does break out completely. Mills was pretty good too.

3. If Teddy gets picked next week, we risk him being weak link and against Weagles we can't afford that.

Teddy will be picked because there is know one better at the moment. Talia won't be a factor until very late in the year and Reid is propably still a month away. Allir is getting good reports in the reserves but is he a better option than Richards?

Over the next month I think Rampe will be very important. He is the present day Leo Barry (undersized full back). He did a great job on Walker and will probably get John Kennedy this week. Rampe is such an amazing athlete. A rare combination of endurance, speed, vertical leap and body strength. I wonder what he did to those poor players who were running around the Sydney AFL when he played for UNSW / Easts.

MattW
17th April 2016, 02:02 PM

So who plays for Ted? I'm unconvinced by Xavier. Aliir was BOG yesterday, but it's a tough initiation. Ted is 2 games back and will be smarting. Reckon he deserves a little longer to prove he's still got it.

liz
17th April 2016, 02:18 PM
Aliir is very athletic but his defensive work might not be good enough yet. He's getting good at chopping off leads - the classic 3rd tallish defender. The only problem at AFL level is that the good sides will put someone on him to make him accountable. It would be interesting seeing him play on a wing.

I don't think he'll come in against West Coast, but if he keeps up his consistent reserves form, it would be fun to see him get a chance against one of the lesser teams to see if he can bring something different to the mix.

barry
17th April 2016, 02:25 PM
Reg was good. Ted was bad but rampe stepped up to cover him. Mcveigh did nothing.

Well probably persist with Ted at the smaller SCG because his lack of speed wont be exposed, but we all knew defense was our problem in 2016.

liz
17th April 2016, 02:38 PM
Ted was pretty good last week. Not so much this week, but the Swans defence was under pressure for most of the night. They didn't get the protection from the midfield that they've enjoyed for the first three weeks, and Adelaide used the ball reasonably well coming forward, at least for parts of the game.

He's the best we've got in that role right now, and I don't think he was the reason we lost. Our midfield was ever so slightly down on their ball handling skills and weren't able to make the most of the great pressure they did apply. That's where the game was lost in my eyes.

Ludwig
17th April 2016, 02:53 PM
Aliir is very athletic but his defensive work might not be good enough yet. He's getting good at chopping off leads - the classic 3rd tallish defender. The only problem at AFL level is that the good sides will put someone on him to make him accountable. It would be interesting seeing him play on a wing.

I don't think he'll come in against West Coast, but if he keeps up his consistent reserves form, it would be fun to see him get a chance against one of the lesser teams to see if he can bring something different to the mix.

Ted was pretty good last week. Not so much this week, but the Swans defence was under pressure for most of the night. They didn't get the protection from the midfield that they've enjoyed for the first three weeks, and Adelaide used the ball reasonably well coming forward, at least for parts of the game.

He's the best we've got in that role right now, and I don't think he was the reason we lost. Our midfield was ever so slightly down on their ball handling skills and weren't able to make the most of the great pressure they did apply. That's where the game was lost in my eyes.Agree with both posts. We need to have a bit of stability in defence and Reg and Ted are the best we have atm. We might try Aliir in the following game against Brisbane.

Adelaide are a good example of persistence in the development off their backline. I wondered if Hardigan and Brown were up to AFL standard last year, but are really solid defenders now. Laird has gone from an unknown to AA contender. They played Lever before he was truly ready and now it's paying off. It may be hard for us to make the transition from Reg and Ted without taking some risks on a young defender. We may even give a go to Davis in the forward line and try Reid in defence. Talia going down was unlucky given the situation with our KPPs.

bloodspirit
17th April 2016, 03:06 PM
A great game and some illuminating comments and analysis. I particularly agree with Doctor, Maltopia, wolftone and liz.

Bring on the Weagles.

Mel_C
17th April 2016, 03:15 PM

He's the best we've got in that role right now, and I don't think he was the reason we lost. Our midfield was ever so slightly down on their ball handling skills and weren't able to make the most of the great pressure they did apply. That's where the game was lost in my eyes.

I agree about the midfield. There was more fumbling and erroneous handballs than usual...particularly from Kennedy and Parker.

With regards to Towers I think he needs to have more faith in himself and instead of handballing he should keep running forward and back himself.

I am going to stick up for Mills. He is young and he will learn. I love his courage and how well he reads the play to take those marks. The turnover where his kick missed Lloyd, he actually motioned to Lloyd to run in that direction but Lloyd moved the other way. Did anyone see the huge spray Mills received earlier in the game from Laidler? Was that because of a bad kick out?

Maltopia
17th April 2016, 03:23 PM
For us to win Smith needed to keep Betts quiet. Didn't happen.

Betts' four goals:

One was for the dubious 15 meter call where Rampe didn't have much opportunity to dispose (Rampe tried to fend as he was tackled and then got his arm pinned). Great skill by Betts to kick that goal so full credit to him. But I don't think you can blame Smith for that one (unless he did the short kick - can't recall who it was).
Second goal - can't recall
Third goal - push in the back
Fourth goal - we were throwing the dice to try and come back from four points down in the last 90 seconds of the game so had an attacking spread.

Smith is not one of the players I would be saying had a bad game. Plenty ahead of him who played far from their best!

-Ted, Towers and Papley were very sub-par.
-Macca wasn't great, but he had the 8 tackles and that great kick in front of Franklin where he ran onto it, scooped it up low with one hand and ran into an open goal (great stuff).
-Mitchell had a fantastic first three games (and unlucky to miss coaches votes last week I thought), but didn't play anywhere near the ~ $700K+ per season some are saying he will be offered to go elsewhere at the end of this season.

CureTheSane
17th April 2016, 04:29 PM
McVeigh is still on my watch list.
I think he's kinda done, and have been saying so most of last year. Really hope he proves me wrong.

McGlynn added a bit. Run and drive.
Heeney was a star.
Ted had a pretty forgettable day. Made to look less bad because Rample did well covering for him.
Papley played his first game at the elite level and has a way to go.
Mills on the other had showed he could match it (at times) and will continue on his merry way
Can I say that Buddy was average when he kicked 4? I think I can.
Hate him up the ground and my fear is that he doesn't posses the skills to create much in the forward line consistently.
Nankervis was ok I guess.
Kennedy, Mitchell and Parker weren't as they have been
Grundy was ok, probably had an average game.
Hanners, Jack and Cunningham were great
Laidler didn't have the impact he normally does

barry
17th April 2016, 04:44 PM
Tippet had a pretty ordinary tone in the ruck

Levii3
17th April 2016, 05:57 PM
Ted was good last week because he played on Patton Teddy will get crushed if he has to play on Riewoldt Kennedy Cameron or Tom Lynch (GCS)

Doctor
17th April 2016, 06:54 PM
I think he's kinda done, and have been saying so most of last year. Really hope he proves me wrong.

Heeney was a star.
Ted had a pretty forgettable day. Made to look less bad because Rample did well covering for him.
Mills on the other had showed he could match it (at times) and will continue on his merry way
Hate him up the ground and my fear is that he doesn't posses the skills to create much in the forward line consistently.

I don't think it's as bad as all that but I do agree with you on Cunningham. I forgot to mention him and he has been consistently pretty good through the first month of the season.

i'm-uninformed2
17th April 2016, 07:31 PM
One thing with McVeigh. I know the expectation has been to play him down back as he's seen as a good kick, which he is. But he's better with a fraction of space when he can use his smarts

That's why I'd play him half forward as the guy who can get on the end of some run and make the right choice going inside 50. He was better last night in the second half playing that role and the game against Hawthorn that we won last year was a great example of him in that role.

Given that last kick is still sometimes our undoing I reckon it's where he can extract the most value from him these days.

Beerman
17th April 2016, 08:14 PM
Can't believe the criticism of Mills I'm reading...

He had one of the great 'game 4' games you'll see. He threw himself into contest after contest, and won most of them, had 23 possessions, played well beyond his rookie status.

I think there's a lot to love about Mills, but some of his decision making is suspect. He's got skill, but the stuff he gets away with in the NEAFL isn't going to fly against a top-4 team in the AFL.

It's not the first time either - against Carlton he picked off a Swans player between two Carlton players inside the defensive 50. It might work some of the time, but it's going to cost a lot of goals. Did you see Rampe & Laidler ripping into him? My guess is that he's not following instructions.

Hotpotato
17th April 2016, 08:35 PM
Enjoyed every minute of this ripper game
Two very good sides going flat out at it for 2 hours, they would have to be tired this week .
Home ground cauldron in Adelaide has to be worth 2-3 goals ... So to lose by 10pts ....
A really excellent showcase for the code . No wonder we miss it in the off season .

Light work this week hopefully to freshen up for West Coast .

elastic
17th April 2016, 08:37 PM
In Mills' defence he has been given a lot of responsibility taking the kick ins. The coaches have obviously decided to fast track him as much as possible. The experience will be invaluable.
I did find it interesting though when Laidler and Rampe? reacted after the kick in. He probably won't make that mistake again.

liz
17th April 2016, 09:03 PM
In Mills' defence he has been given a lot of responsibility taking the kick ins. The coaches have obviously decided to fast track him as much as possible. The experience will be invaluable.
I did find it interesting though when Laidler and Rampe? reacted after the kick in. He probably won't make that mistake again.

Maybe the fault in that instance lay with Rampe for standing too close as a target. Mills can only kick to what he has on offer. If the team tactic is a short kick to the pocket, surely those players making position have as much responsibility as the player actually kicking?

CureTheSane
17th April 2016, 09:53 PM
I don't think it's as bad as all that but I do agree with you on Cunningham. I forgot to mention him and he has been consistently pretty good through the first month of the season.

Didn't mean to sound doom and gloom.
Overall the team played really well, and opposition players did a good job on some of ours, just like some of ours did a good job on some of them.
My comments were really nit picking.
I probably wouldn't make many changes.
Ted might have a few worries if Talia was fit, Towers may have a few sleepless nights.
Hard to be too critical after the way both teams played.

Lots of comment on Facebook slamming some Swans and umpires etc.
Kind of surprised me that supporters are so blind to an amazing spectacle where there had to be a winner and a loser, and unfortunately it was us.
Walk a mile in a Collingwood supporters shoes I guess :)

Ludwig
18th April 2016, 02:49 AM
After watching the replay, I find it hard to be too critical of any of our players, including the ones I previously made some negative comments on.

Ted and Reg lost a few one on one contests and I never like to see that happen, but it happens to even the best defenders. I don't know what happened to other players dropping back or into holes in front of leading targets, but it didn't seem to happen that often and they both had to fend for themselves against some very good forwards. It's worth noting that Ted only had 78% game time, which is low for a key defender. He looked tired at times. Perhaps he's still building his fitness base after an interrupted preseason.

The criticism on Mills is unwarranted. For a first year player he doesn't make that many mistakes and I can't remember a first year player given as much responsibility as he's been given. He's a tremendous mark of the ball and has a powerful kick. Heading down the same path as Heeney, and that's the path to stardom.

Papley could have been a hero if he had nailed one of those 2 4th qtr snaps for goal, but he didn't. He's going to be a good player, but he's going to have his ups and downs like most rookies.

Towers is making progress and I want to forget that he's only a 20 gamer. He just seems to fall short under pressure, whether it's taking that critical mark, making that clean handball or slotting that snap on goal. I don't know if I want him dropped or give him more time in the midfield where he might be able to use his pace to break from the packs. I'll leave it to the coaches to decide.

Scottee
18th April 2016, 06:53 AM

Agree on Alii LIZ. West Coast game is too big for an experiment, but he shows a lot of promise. Like you I have been intrigued about his potential on the wing.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

AnnieH
18th April 2016, 10:16 AM
Reg dead-set makes me cringe sometimes. An effective disposal in the last ten minutes would have helped our cause greatly.
I think Buddy is carrying some sort of injury... can't grab a mark to save himself at the moment.
Zac Heeney is a little gun.

Very disappointing.

mcs
18th April 2016, 10:47 AM
I think there's a lot to love about Mills, but some of his decision making is suspect. He's got skill, but the stuff he gets away with in the NEAFL isn't going to fly against a top-4 team in the AFL.

It's not the first time either - against Carlton he picked off a Swans player between two Carlton players inside the defensive 50. It might work some of the time, but it's going to cost a lot of goals. Did you see Rampe & Laidler ripping into him? My guess is that he's not following instructions.

The kid has played a grand total of 4 AFL games, after stepping up from basically no footy last year into the elite level.

Give him time - all young players, no matter how good they are, will make mistakes - Mills included. Yes it can be frustrating, but he is going to be an absolute gem. With him and Heeney running around in Red and White hopefully for a decade or more to come, we are in good hands.

He will quickly learn from his mistakes - as the other youngsters will. For instance, Papley made a bad error early in the 4th (When we were on top and had some chances), when he took the ball back into traffic in our forward line - when alternatively, had he looked up, he may have seen the best option clearly would of been to go back towards goal - if I'm not mistaken there was a team mate not far away with probably enough space, had Papley handballed to him, to get a snap away at goal. That's footy though - these young guys will learn, and we have some absolute gems coming through.

AnnieH
18th April 2016, 11:09 AM
The kid has played a grand total of 4 AFL games, after stepping up from basically no footy last year into the elite level.

Give him time - all young players, no matter how good they are, will make mistakes - Mills included. Yes it can be frustrating, but he is going to be an absolute gem. With him and Heeney running around in Red and White hopefully for a decade or more to come, we are in good hands.

He will quickly learn from his mistakes - as the other youngsters will. For instance, Papley made a bad error early in the 4th (When we were on top and had some chances), when he took the ball back into traffic in our forward line - when alternatively, had he looked up, he may have seen the best option clearly would of been to go back towards goal - if I'm not mistaken there was a team mate not far away with probably enough space, had Papley handballed to him, to get a snap away at goal. That's footy though - these young guys will learn, and we have some absolute gems coming through.

Handballing into traffic is beginning to get on my last nerve.

crackedactor
18th April 2016, 12:04 PM

He will quickly learn from his mistakes - as the other youngsters will. For instance, Papley made a bad error early in the 4th (When we were on top and had some chances), when he took the ball back into traffic in our forward line - when alternatively, had he looked up, he may have seen the best option clearly would of been to go back towards goal - if I'm not mistaken there was a team mate not far away with probably enough space, had Papley handballed to him, to get a snap away at goal. That's footy though - these young guys will learn, and we have some absolute gems coming through. A lot of supporters keep forgetting that Mills has played 4 AFL games and playing in one of the hardest positions. half-back. Also A bit harsh on Teddy, it was the second up syndrome after a long lay off, so he will bounce back next week .Great game on Sat. night but cannot believe how Eddie Betts gets looked after. Blatant push in the back of Smith which resulted in a goal and that Rampe decision when it was a 15 meters and he had zero chance of getting rid of the ball, were just unbelievable home ground decisions. Melbourne Radio gave a big wrap on Heeney this morning, saying that the opposition may soon have Heeney as their number issue in the forward line rather than Buddy!!

RogueSwan
18th April 2016, 12:09 PM
Reg dead-set makes me cringe sometimes...
Sometimes, but he is, by far, our best defender at the moment. He has really matured and is playing as well as Ted was a few years back.

mcs
18th April 2016, 12:14 PM
A Melbourne Radio gave a big wrap on Heeney this morning, saying that the opposition may soon have Heeney as their number issue in the forward line rather than Buddy!!

If we didn't have my long time man crush Parker around, Heeney would be at the top of my list :) He was simply superb on Saturday night - sadly as it didn't help us get over the line, his massive roost, into the wind from outside 50 near the end will get forgotten by most. But what a kick under enormous pressure and with a hostile crowd. The kid is a genuine star and will only get better from here. The thought of him and Mills being key cogs in our midfield for years to come makes me smile, even after the disappointment of losing on Saturday night. :clap:

Heeney has it all - can clunk a big mark (tick), has elite disposal skills (95% efficiency on Saturday night), can kick the tough goals (ticks), is courageous (tick) and is as hard as nails (tick). If what we've seen is anything to go by, he will be every bit as special as our last #5 was.

And that's before we consider just how fine a player Mills is going to be :)

RogueSwan
18th April 2016, 12:55 PM
... Heeney has it all - can clunk a big mark (tick), has elite disposal skills (95% efficiency on Saturday night), can kick the tough goals (ticks), is courageous (tick) and is as hard as nails (tick). If what we've seen is anything to go by, he will be every bit as special as our last #5 was...

With those attributes the commentators call of Heeney reminding him of Paul Kelly is not far off.

Go Swannies
18th April 2016, 01:03 PM
Handballing into traffic is beginning to get on my last nerve.

Like Heeney to Benny?

crackedactor
18th April 2016, 01:21 PM
Wasn't that handball absolute Magic!!! Shows what a talent this kid is!!

18th April 2016, 02:25 PM
Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified. He is sheer class, looks like a classy mature player already and I'll give you a stat from Saturday night, five intercept marks! Yes, that is five!

We are very fortunate to have picked up Heeney and Mills when we finished as high as we did because these guys are both elite talents.

Plugger46
18th April 2016, 02:33 PM

Heeney was a star.

Tough on Buddy I reckon. Actually clunked some marks in the second half which was a nice surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified. He is sheer class, looks like a classy mature player already and I'll give you a stat from Saturday night, five intercept marks! Yes, that is five!

We are very fortunate to have picked up Heeney and Mills when we finished as high as we did because these guys are both elite talents.

Reckon it was Mills' best game to date. Took some very gutsy marks.

stevoswan
18th April 2016, 05:54 PM

Mills is becoming our "Easton Wood' and that is a very handy asset to have in our side. (clap)

CureTheSane
18th April 2016, 05:56 PM
Probably a bit tough on Buddy. Probably more critical of the coaching staff playing him all over the ground, rather than where he is sometimes needed.
Rather see him working on escaping the clutches of a full back more and taking some easy marks, which we don;t see as often as we used to.
Adelaide is a pass in this area as the whole team played well and left little room for him.
But he's had trouble making space all season so far.

Beerman
18th April 2016, 07:26 PM
Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified

No team should tolerate such basic decision-making errors from anyone on their list. Send him to the ressies to learn some lessons.

Just kidding:-)

Mills clearly has what it takes to be a star. The way he reads the ball is Jack Riewoldtesque. It's remarkable that in his 4th game the only knock on his game is a few dodgy decisions. He'll learn with experience and good coaching.

Papley will also learn fast. He looked a bit panicked at times but now he knows what to expect I think he'll improve. I'm not convinced he'll make it yet - too many players have given me false hope- but I don't see why not.

Also we played Heeney too much last year. Four fewer games and he would be red hot for the rising star.

mcs
18th April 2016, 07:56 PM
Papley will also learn fast. He looked a bit panicked at times but now he knows what to expect I think he'll improve. I'm not convinced he'll make it yet - too many players have given me false hope- but I don't see why not.

If Mills cleans up his use of the ball, he will be right up there for the RS this year. His reading of the game is absolutely superb, and his skills are great as well - its the decision making that is letting him down. But it doesn't matter how good a player you are, that isn't a skill that you simply have at the top level (bar the very, very, very special players going around) - it takes time to develop. He is already an integral part of our team and he has played 4 games. Just imagine how good he and Heeney will be when they've played 54 games, or 104 games. Both clearly are (touch wood on the injury side) every chance to be 300 gamers for our great club. And if they turn out to be as good as we all hope, with a bit of luck, then there is every chance there might be a Premiership or Two thrown in as well. They are out future, but they are also part of the current - and by gee its exciting to watch them develop.

As for Papley - he is sooooo far ahead of where anyone expected him to be, that we can only be stoked with what he has shown so far. Even if he was to be dropped back to ressies from here and not return to the senior squad this year, it would be a successful year. There is most definitely something about him - the guys clearly love have him in the side, and he is every chance to be a young gem from the rough, just like many a star who have come before him in Red and White. As you say Beerman, we can't be convinced that he will make it - but by gee we can't have asked for much more yet, even if he had a quiet game on Saturday night.

Beerman
18th April 2016, 10:19 PM
Spot on.

To clarify. when I said I wasn't convinced about Papley I meant I wasn't certain about him in the way I am about Mills, not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with his game.

Primmy
18th April 2016, 11:03 PM

We are very fortunate to have picked up Heeney and Mills when we finished as high as we did because these guys are both elite talents. Amen. I got 90, thats right 90, points for Dreamteam time, so he must have done a whole lot right. Love it when he plays with a smile on his face. Nothing phases him. We've got a keeper.

I have a theory. The kids have Kirky as a mentor and they are doing all right. Freo have lost him and ....... well.:surprise:

AnnieH
19th April 2016, 10:08 AM
I'd get Garry Jack in to teach them how to stick when trying to tackle.

barry
19th April 2016, 11:46 AM
Watching the replay last night, I saw Rampe and Laidler rip into Mills when he made a clanger kicking out. Seemed a bit harsh on a new young player.

baskin
19th April 2016, 12:56 PM
I have a theory. The kids have Kirky as a mentor and they are doing all right. Freo have lost him and ....... well.:surprise:
I think your theory has merit Primmy.

Plugger46
19th April 2016, 12:58 PM
Watching the replay last night, I saw Rampe and Laidler rip into Mills when he made a clanger kicking out. Seemed a bit harsh on a new young player.

Didn't see that. Both of those are notorious for turning the footy over out of the backline.

Beerman
19th April 2016, 01:21 PM

I thought exactly the same. My theory is that Mills was under definite instructions and failed to follow them. Nothing to back that up though except that I haven't seen a reaction to a clanger like that from our backlands before (and they've had plenty of chances).

Triple B
19th April 2016, 03:38 PM

I see that as a huge compliment to Mills' character and mental toughness. I doubt that both Rampe and Laidler would be ripping into a 4th gamer if they didn't see him as capable of not dropping his bundle with a bit of 'tough love' in the heat of battle. I really believe it also shows how highly they rate him.

I'm not sure who I'm more excited about, but the thought of Eddie's head almost exploding at the very mention of Heeney and Mills over the next 10 years fills me with great joy.

Meg
19th April 2016, 03:55 PM
I also saw McVeigh (and another Swan, forget whom) run to Mills to reassure him after Mills' clanger, when he tried to thread the needle between two Crows, which led to an intercept and a Crows' goal. So wasn't always a 'blame game' being heaped on Mills.

CureTheSane
19th April 2016, 07:29 PM
Didn't see that. Both of those are notorious for turning the footy over out of the backline.

They were probably saying "the team can't afford another one like us"

j/k - I actually think Grundy had improved dramatically and I've never had a problem with Rampe - although he used to make a few big mistakes at the start of his career.

AnnieH
20th April 2016, 04:34 PM

They who live in glass houses.....