PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 10 Match Day Thread. Sydney V North Melb. SCG. 7.50 pm.

aardvark
27th May 2016, 11:11 AM

$2.95 for the Undefeated Kangas. Must be a lot of confident Swans backers. Glad to see Harry get a run, I reckon he's done the hard yards and deserves a crack. Question of the day. Are we the only AFL side with 2 Harrys?

Swans by 23pts. and don't forget the Ressies live at 4.10pm. Link on Ressies thread.

neilfws
27th May 2016, 12:33 PM
Question of the day. Are we the only AFL side with 2 Harrys?

I believe we are.

List of current AFL team squads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_AFL_team_squads)

Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact ;) 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

We also have the only player ever with the same first and last name.

Anyway: really looking forward to tonight, should be a huge and physical game. Clear, sunny and a little chilly in Sydney just now. The ressie watchers say good things about Marsh, looking forward to see how he goes.

It's a big night with the Waratahs next door and the first night of the Vivid Festival, so plan your travel accordingly. Reckon 33K would rate as a very good crowd tonight.

Doctor
27th May 2016, 12:58 PM
Clear, sunny and a little chilly but also VERY windy. It may ease by tonight but it's going to be a factor if it stays like this.

barry
27th May 2016, 01:56 PM
Wind wont suit their tall forwards

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

aardvark
27th May 2016, 02:13 PM
I believe we are. Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact ;) 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

I knew I could rely on you Neil. How about a graph which shows how many "Harrys" have played at each club?:wink: and if you have time, What are the top ten first names of AFL/VFL players of all time?

neilfws
27th May 2016, 02:32 PM
I knew I could rely on you Neil. How about a graph which shows how many "Harrys" have played at each club?:wink: and if you have time, What are the top ten first names of AFL/VFL players of all time?

Consider it done. But perhaps in a new thread, we can't have match day getting too silly too soon ;)

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 02:54 PM
Consider it done. But perhaps in a new thread, we can't have match day getting too silly too soon ;)
What: we can't distract ourselves by picking an All Harry Allstars?

aardvark
27th May 2016, 03:37 PM
Sorry! I got a bit excited there. Just something to fill in time before the game.:redface:

Ludwig
27th May 2016, 04:34 PM
Here's a bit of a pre-match time filler on one of our favourite subjects: Victorian club bias. It's and article by Graham Cornes regarding the Tom Jonas suspension.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/tom-jonas-was-wrong-but-sixmatch-ban-just-shows-bias-against-nonvictoria-teams-writes-graham-cornes/news-story/41fce12303117aa98f06be573268666a?nk=1d329a40b3a226 164b3c69f301db80c1-1464326569)

And for those who haven't worked out how to circumvent The Rupert, here's the text:

TOM Jonas clocked Andrew Gaff. There was no doubt about it. In the time honoured football tradition, he �made him earn it� as the courageous West Coast midfielder ran with the flight of the ball to take the mark.
Jonas was late to the contest, but not that late that he could have pulled out. Nor should he have pulled out.
Running with the flight of the ball to take a mark does not give you a right of way.
Run with the flight of the ball and you can expect a collision. However, at the last split second Jonas raised the elbow.
Watch it in real time and it�s barely visible. Slow it down and it all seems so brutal. But footy actions don�t happen in slow motion or photo stills. Jonas�s elbow hit the back of Gaff�s head. No question.
Jonas pleaded guilty and apologised even before he had been charged. However, there are two other things that Jonas is guilty of. One � he doesn�t have a high football profile outside of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Two � he is not a Victorian. The six weeks for which Jonas has been suspended is manifestly excessive when compared to other similarly brutal offences.
http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/content/v1/?category=/section/couriermail.com.au/collection/popular-content/all/24hours/&t_product=most-popular-mobile&td_standfirst=false&td_kicker=false&td_byline=false&td_resultSize=6&maxRelated=20&display:footer=true&origin=omniture&t_template=s3/chronicle-component/readnext/templates/index&domain=couriermail.com.au&td_widget=otherstories&widget=otherstories

In 2014, Richmond�s ill-fated Ty Vickery blatantly hit Dean Cox with a swinging roundhouse punch from behind. Cox was knocked out but eventually got to his feet and was assisted from the ground. Vickery, with a poor record, was suspended for four weeks. The offence was every bit as serious as Jonas�s.
<figure class="story-asset story-asset-secondary image-full" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; box-sizing: inherit; padding: 0px; clear: both; text-align: center; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Open Sans Regular', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19.6px;"><figcaption class="description" style="box-sizing: inherit; padding: 0px 55px; color: rgb(129, 146, 154); font-size: 12px; text-align: left;">
</figcaption></figure>In May 2015 Hawthorn star Jordan Lewis was late to the contest as Todd Goldstein took a mark. Lewis �made him earn it� with a roundhouse clenched fist that flattened the star North Melbourne ruckman. Goldstein was knocked out but recovered to slowly get to his feet and be assisted from the ground. Lewis was suspended for two weeks. The offence was more serious and more blatant than Jonas�s.

In round five 2015, the popular Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge, in an apparently unprovoked attack threw a swinging elbow which connected to the jaw of North Melbourne�s Andrew Swallow.
Swallow was knocked to the ground and had to be assisted from the ground. Hodge was suspended for three weeks. The offence was more serious than Jonas�s.
So why would Jonas be suspended for twice as long as Hodge? Trial by media had Jonas convicted and suspended before any tribunal hearing. The �keyboard cowards� on social media, with no knowledge of how much courage it takes to play at the highest level, also had a field day labelling Jonas, among other things, a coward.
Gaff lying motionless on the ground and being taken off on a stretcher was not a good look and may have compounded Jonas�s case. However, should players� varying abilities to take a punch impact on a penalty? Some get up, some stay down.
The tribunal assessed Jonas�s action as �intentional�. Port Adelaide argued that it wasn�t intentional but was �careless�, a strategy that drew criticism from some football commentators. However, in the split-second that the offence occurs, it is impossible to say that Jonas intended to hurt Gaff, or even strike him in the back of the head. Jonas even turns away at the point of contact. The tribunal was unmoved and despite the offence being less intentional that the three listed above, hit him with a six week suspension. Jonas took it like a man, accepted responsibility and retired to the gym and the training track to assuage his remorse.
Jonas is not the only low-profile player from a non-Victorian team to be shafted. Last year the Gold Coast�s Steven May received a ridiculous three match ban for what seemed a legitimate bump on Brisbane�s Tom Rockcliff.
If a high profile player from a Victorian based team, in round 18 does what Jonas did, his suspension will be no more than four weeks. So much for an Australian Football League.

snajik
27th May 2016, 05:23 PM
I believe we are.

List of current AFL team squads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_AFL_team_squads)

Although technically, our second one is a Harrison. Fascinating Harry fact ;) 163 Harrys have played VFL/AFL, making it the 10th most common first name.

Anyway: really looking forward to tonight, should be a huge and physical game. Clear, sunny and a little chilly in Sydney just now. The ressie watchers say good things about Marsh, looking forward to see how he goes.

It's a big night with the Waratahs next door and the first night of the Vivid Festival, so plan your travel accordingly. Reckon 33K would rate as a very good crowd tonight.

I think a crowd in excess of 40,000 is more likely. The ticketek website is showing there are only 5 bays remaining where multiple tickets can be purchased. In the main it's either 'single seats only' or 'allocation exhausted.'

magic.merkin
27th May 2016, 05:25 PM
I can't cop any of that where he defends Jonas and plays down the incident. It was sickening.

"Watch it in real time and it�s barely visible" what world is this guy living in? He threw an elbow from a meter away.

It was intentional to hit him high and he followed the marking player off his own line to make contact.

The rest of the comparisons i also agree were light. Just like Jonas who was the worst of all of them. Should have got 8+.

stellation
27th May 2016, 05:44 PM
I know little about North this year. Who are their exciting forwards, mids and defenders to watch in this game?

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 07:00 PM
I know little about North this year. Who are their exciting forwards, mids and defenders to watch in this game?
Petrie, Waite and Brown are the biggest threats up forward, while Wells and Swallow might prove a handful in the midfield. Hopefully the Swannies will bring their manic pressure and win the contested possessions. North won't kick a winning score if they don't win enough of the footy.

Zlatorog
27th May 2016, 08:42 PM
No late changes.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 08:43 PM
Not much action in the match thread tonight, I assume most of you Sydneysiders are at the game. Who will win and by how much?

Cheer_Cheer
27th May 2016, 08:43 PM
Hopefully that little grub Thomas doesn't injure one of ours..

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 08:52 PM
Macca! Buddy already had a shot as well, good start.

goswannies
27th May 2016, 09:01 PM
Not liking all these dinky little close-in handballs

goswannies
27th May 2016, 09:09 PM
Buddy bewdiful!!

Heeeeeeney!!

Taking fair advantage of the forward pushes

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 09:15 PM
Playing well, but Lloyd totally missed Mitchell running through there. Terrible mistake.

Swans500
27th May 2016, 09:22 PM
Lloyd certainly ruined the momentum...

Melbourne_Blood
27th May 2016, 09:23 PM
Bad mistake yes, but an otherwise pretty great quarter from Lloyd, was everywhere

Mel_C
27th May 2016, 09:23 PM
Good quarter but can we please stop handballing to our players feet!!

Ludwig
27th May 2016, 09:25 PM
Worth noting that the precision pass from Hewett to Heeney for a goal was on Hewett's left. Just one more reason why he's going to be such a good player for us.

undy
27th May 2016, 09:26 PM
Not much action in the match thread tonight, I assume most of you Sydneysiders are at the game. Who will win and by how much?
Neil Diamond

frankee
27th May 2016, 09:27 PM
Tippett is killing Goldy

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 09:34 PM
Gee whiz, I can't believe it was kicked to McVeigh in the middle, he was outnumbered 2 to 1. Why not just go long down the line? Two goals scored against us from dumb decisions.

On a happier note, how good is Hannebery? Easily one of (if not) the best midfielders in the comp.

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 09:36 PM
Twice Thomas has got goals for dropping down and throwing his head back before any contact. Grrr!
Beautiful running and goal by Hanners though.

treespirit
27th May 2016, 09:38 PM
Thomas=Puopolo=Selwood

Cheats the lot of them.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 09:46 PM
I can't fault Jones' attack on the footy, but he has a bit of work to do with his disposals.

frankee
27th May 2016, 09:50 PM
so they take Goldy off so its Sinclair v Brown.

frankee
27th May 2016, 09:53 PM
Thomas=Puopolo=Selwood

Cheats the lot of them.

add Hewett

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 09:53 PM
Buddy trying to do to much there, only 15 points in it now. Same amount of scoring shots, even contest.

Swans500
27th May 2016, 09:58 PM
And it gets worse...Still goes back to the turnover by Lloyd....Should have been way up by quarter time...

ugg
27th May 2016, 10:00 PM
Their midfield got on top that quarter. They won inside 50s 19-9

treespirit
27th May 2016, 10:01 PM
Frees inside 50 is the Roos best player. Sloppy effort.

mcs
27th May 2016, 10:02 PM
I can't fault Jones' attack on the footy, but he has a bit of work to do with his disposals.

He is getting lots of the ball tonight but butchering it time and time again. I like him but he needs to improve a lot with his disposals.

A poor 2nd quarter there, we just didn't ever get going. A goal at the end to Buddy would have been nice. That last goal we conceded in particular was very, very sloppy - why were there no swans behind the contest (Doing our usual lets allllll jump for it instead of someone staying down for the ball on the ground).

Nico
27th May 2016, 10:03 PM

Jones, Mills and McVeigh's clearances have been poor. Jones running through the centre kicked it wide. Why? When he had players deep. Mills didn't kick through the footy that allowed an intercept. Any chance someone mans up Ziebell at centre bounces. Lot of work to do still.

mcs
27th May 2016, 10:03 PM
add Hewett

Thomas is right up there with the worst of them - that one that pissed me off the most was the one where he could of actually went forward and kicked for goal but instead just went backwards looking for the free (Saying that he could of got a free for being tackled without the ball earlier in the same movement).

Big 2nd half coming up - we need to hit the ground running in the 3rd like we did in the 1st, and start winning it in the middle more.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 10:04 PM
Midfield needs to step it up. North are zoning off well outside their 50. Horse needs to come up with a solution to that.

Nico
27th May 2016, 10:04 PM
He is getting lots of the ball tonight but butchering it time and time again. I like him but he needs to improve a lot with his disposals.

A poor 2nd quarter there, we just didn't ever get going. A goal at the end to Buddy would have been nice. That last goal we conceded in particular was very, very sloppy - why were there no swans behind the contest (Doing our usual lets allllll jump for it instead of someone staying down for the ball on the ground).

They weren't behind the contest because they all went up for the marking contest, leaving 2 North players free.

That was a bad error by Lloyd in the 1st Q. Should have given off to Mitchell.

mcs
27th May 2016, 10:05 PM
They weren't behind the contest because they all went up for the marking contest, leaving 2 North players free.

My point still stands though, they should not have all gone up for that - we do that far too often for my liking.

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 10:06 PM
Kennedy and Tippett have been excellent in tight. Our defence has largely been on top. Buddy, Hanners and Heeney have been threatening to blow the game open. I reckon they might in the second half.

Velour&Ruffles
27th May 2016, 10:10 PM
That was a bad error by Lloyd in the 1st Q. Should have given off to Mitchell.

Yep, that stunk.It was as if he couldn't see the huge person standing directly in front of him. How the heck does that happen? An under 12 should have been embarrassed. Shocking.

crackedactor
27th May 2016, 10:12 PM
what disgraceful umpiring, Tippett bumps Brown in a ruck duel and its a free kick?? WTF? In front of goal as well!!!

Velour&Ruffles
27th May 2016, 10:14 PM
what disgraceful umpiring, Tippett bumps Brown in a ruck duel and its a free kick?? WTF? In front of goal as well!!!

You didn't get the memo? Any form of physical contact whatsoever is now prohibited in ruck contests. That stunk even worse than Lloyd's effort.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 10:16 PM

Those 2 consecutive frees to Brown (which resulted in a goal) were very soft. I thought we were getting the better side of the umpiring early on. But it's quickly turned around now, 12 frees for North, 9 for us. Have we won the free kick count in any match this year? It seems the Swans get the rough end of the stick more times than not.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 10:21 PM
Great goal from Harry, no nonsense, just on the boot straight away. Good stuff.

barry
27th May 2016, 10:22 PM
Mcveigh. 3 north goals to him

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 10:29 PM

He's missed a couple of handballs, but otherwise been pretty good from what I've seen.

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 10:35 PM
Dirty Firrito. Marsh having a great first game, impressed so far.

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 10:44 PM
Go the ginger ninja!

27th May 2016, 10:49 PM

No offence barry, but do you not tire of relentless McVeigh bashing? I for one am exhausted from reading it in its repetitive monotony.

swannymum
27th May 2016, 10:51 PM
No offence barry, but do you not tire of McVeigh bashing? I for one am exhausted from reading it in its relentless monotony.

Here! Here! 2 goals from McVeigh and Barry is still banging on about him. Give it a rest!

barry
27th May 2016, 10:52 PM
No offence barry, but do you not tire of McVeigh bashing? I for one am exhausted from reading it in its relentless monotony.

Better 3rd quarter but he was outrun by pietrie and out muscled by thomas. result 2 goals to north.
I don't feel confident with the ball in his hand.

mcs
Great third quarter but didn't put them away with all that possession. We need a good start to the 4th and not the diatribe we turned out against richmond.

What a goal from gaz - more of that please :)

Mel_C
I really really really hate north Melbourne. They would have to be up there with being one of the most dirtiest teams. I wish we made them pay more that quarter.

frankee
27th May 2016, 10:55 PM
Tippet just needs a goal in the last to put the icing on the cake.

dimelb
27th May 2016, 10:56 PM
A good lead at 3/4 time but we need to make more of our opportunities. Loved Gary Rohan's briefest of pauses measuring the kick before putting it straight through. I wish more of them took the extra half second to turn a shambles into points.

But I must allow credit to North for the level of pressure they apply.

27th May 2016, 10:59 PM
Poor last few minutes from Buddy

goswannies
27th May 2016, 11:01 PM
I adore Mitchell but he's not a bad kick yet he persists on hot 1-3m handballs to teammates in congested positions.

27th May 2016, 11:07 PM
Bruce is so pro any team and any play against Sydney. One of the most annoying commentators of Sydney games (Chins McGuire being another).

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 11:07 PM
That non free kick to Kennedy was almost laughable.

barry
27th May 2016, 11:10 PM
Jones kick s straight!

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 11:13 PM
Nice bit of work by Hewitt to get it Jones. I think I can hear the fat lady starting to sing.

- - - Updated - - -

And North are put out of their misery by a Buddy bullet.

27th May 2016, 11:16 PM
Just imagine if Sinclaire had the marking hands of Laidler

WauchopeAnalyst
27th May 2016, 11:31 PM
Good start from Marsh, strong hands late, showed me plenty.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

dejavoodoo44
27th May 2016, 11:32 PM
Got the feeling tonight that North thought that they could overpower us through the middle. As Dennis Cometti would say, "That's ambitious".

Blue Sun
27th May 2016, 11:33 PM
Good win in the end. Swans playing really well. North not that good, 9 and 1 flatters them. Good debut from Marsh, Mitchell had another cracker as well. I thought Jones was good too (disposals could use some work). Franklin while very good, tried to do too much at times. Hewett also played a good game. Impressed by the youngsters of late.

mcs
27th May 2016, 11:35 PM
Good start from Marsh, strong hands late, showed me plenty.

Very solid debut.

Great game from mitchell tonight, he was fantastic.

A very satisfying win tonight, we still arent playing 4 full quarters of good footy but there is a hell of a lot to like about this footy team. We could of killed them with more concentration.

I am really liking how 2016 is shaping up more generally but especially how well we have bounced back after 2015.

56-14
27th May 2016, 11:42 PM
Great game. Admire Hannebery & Kennedy.
Rap for Lloyd & Jones.
Love Mills' potential - so cool.

Ludwig
27th May 2016, 11:51 PM
It just shows that you don't need a tall defence to beat a tall forward line. Only 1 goal from their 3 tall forwards.

Except for the latter parts of the 2nd quarter we put in a really solid effort with lots of pressure and good tackling. We just ran harder than they could and constantly found men open. If we can could out some of sloppy play and disposal we could be a dominant side.

Can't fault Jones' effort, but he needs to think more about his disposal. Hopefully it will develop in time, because he can kick the ball well. It was big game for Lloyd. He was everywhere. Shame about that mistake that led to a goal. He's determined to move the ball on at all cost, sort of Western Bulldogs style. Great game from Reg who will probably not get many TLM votes because of the big games from Mitchell, Hanners and Kennedy.

Best game of the year from Macca. 2 nice goals to add to 25 disposals. Hope it's a breakout for him this year.

Special mention to Sinclair, who had his best game for a while. Competed well in the ruck. Had 7 tackles, a few of them very telling.

Maybe Heeney and Mills can have a rest next week. They're starting to look tired and we need them for the GWS game. We can bring in Davis and Reid.

stevoswan
27th May 2016, 11:53 PM
Great game, should have won by more, but can't complain:wink:. I'm seriously happy! Take that Norf! It's strange, I was thinking at the end how good I thought Rohan played and what an 'X factor' he is, then saw his fantasy points, in last place with 27 pts from 8 possessions and 3 frees against!! I think it was those few 'X factor' moments that stick in the mind, but if he could pick up say 20+ possessions on a consistent basis, he'd be up there with Buddy! Actually, the Bud should have kicked 6 tonight, but his judgement and decision making was a bit off. He sure looks happy though.(clap)

Auntie.Gerald
27th May 2016, 11:55 PM
Just so happy with our depth so far as our young guys are on the up and more then holding their own

to be honest 4 of the first 6 goals by North came from our rookie errors out of the backline...... but these kids fought their way back into the game and came out on top

Mills - 10 games > learning quickly and has been persisted with as he will rise to the top come the end of the season

Jones - 23 games . Looked better tonight but he and Mills are prone to very aggressive attack that has brought them unstuck........but they have so much upside

Swampy - 1 game > is a very composed player....good decision making, kept it simple and when in doubt took the easy ball tonight, very happy for him & ran out 4qtrs

Hewett - 7 games? > just a great user of the footy and has tremendous lateral vision

Heeney - 23 games .> just an awesome season so far

our other guys :

AA - 1 game > looked at ease same as Marsh in his first game in sirs

Paps - a bull terrier and a great option.......paps will come back in on match ups and is the heir apparent for McGlynn

Auntie.Gerald
28th May 2016, 12:01 AM
is there any other team in the comp that had 3 players in their backline with only a combined 34 games between them ?

it is quite incredible that our backline still functioned well with 3 such inexperienced players

mcs
28th May 2016, 12:02 AM
Great game, should have won by more, but can't complain:wink:. I'm seriously happy! Take that Norf! It's strange, I was thinking at the end how good I thought Rohan played and what an 'X factor' he is, then saw his fantasy points, in last place with 27 pts from 8 possessions and 3 frees against!! I think it was those few 'X factor' moments that stick in the mind, but if he could pick up say 20+ possessions on a consistent basis, he'd be up there with Buddy! Actually, the Bud should have kicked 6 tonight, but his judgement and decision making was a bit off. He sure looks happy though.(clap)

I love the way rohan goes about it but what you have highlighted is the one criticism - he just doesn't get enough of the pill. Just waiting for that sustained run where he really breaks out, as he is such an excitement machine.

Velour&Ruffles
28th May 2016, 12:06 AM

Jesus H Christ. You and Luke Shannon should get together. He can talk about Papley and you can talk about McTwoGreatGoalsTonight.

mcs
28th May 2016, 12:07 AM
is there any other team in the comp that had 3 players in their backline with only a combined 34 games between them ?

it is quite incredible that our backline still functioned well with 3 such inexperienced players

I think so much of the credit has to go to grundy and rampe - they are leading by example and showing great leadership diwn there. But our young guys are fitting in so well, despite the mistakes they are making as they learn.

We are doing amazingly well given the significant changes in personnel this year - our future is bright and in such an open season, we are as good a chance as any other team to win the flag at this stage. What a wonderful club we follow, we are so spoiled as supporters.

Nico
28th May 2016, 12:07 AM
Good win in the end. Swans playing really well. North not that good, 9 and 1 flatters them. Good debut from Marsh, Mitchell had another cracker as well. I thought Jones was good too (disposals could use some work). Franklin while very good, tried to do too much at times. Hewett also played a good game. Impressed by the youngsters of late.

A bit harsh on North. The second quarter showed that we had to come out after half time and shut them down, which we did. Our second half pressure was relentless, but if we slacked off they would have been right back in it. Half way though the last quarter we were only up by 20 points and they missed a set shot.

I must say Mills improved his disposal after half time but McVeigh, who got plenty of it, turned it over too much. Jones kicked a nice goal but boy he has a lot of work on his kicking. And McGlynn must be the worst kick in the comp. But those played good games. Just saying...

56-14
28th May 2016, 12:09 AM
It just shows that you don't need a tall defence to beat a tall forward line. Only 1 goal from their 3 tall forwards.

Except for the latter parts of the 2nd quarter we put in a really solid effort with lots of pressure and good tackling. We just ran harder than they could and constantly found men open. If we can could out some of sloppy play and disposal we could be a dominant side.

Can't fault Jones' effort, but he needs to think more about his disposal. Hopefully it will develop in time, because he can kick the ball well. It was big game for Lloyd. He was everywhere. Shame about that mistake that led to a goal. He's determined to move the ball on at all cost, sort of Western Bulldogs style. Great game from Reg who will probably not get many TLM votes because of the big games from Mitchell, Hanners and Kennedy.

Best game of the year from Macca. 2 nice goals to add to 25 disposals. Hope it's a breakout for him this year.

Special mention to Sinclair, who had his best game for a while. Competed well in the ruck. Had 7 tackles, a few of them very telling.

Maybe Heeney and Mills can have a rest next week. They're starting to look tired and we need them for the GWS game. We can bring in Davis and Reid.

Can't imagine Heeney & Mills pleading with Longmire - "I need a rest"!
Have to disagree with you - I put our long & short term interest in them - rather than McVeigh & Sinclair.

barry
28th May 2016, 12:09 AM
Mcveigh had a shocking start but got better. Just watch that first quarter and keep an eye on him.

Best as a handball link player.

Melbourne_Blood
28th May 2016, 12:10 AM
Very even performance. My unsung hero , Kieran Jack. His burst speed to get out of the pack is so vital, he's having a really good year but been overshadowed by others.

Nico
I think so much of the credit has to go to grundy and rampe - they are leading by example and showing great leadership diwn there. But our young guys are fitting in so well, despite the mistakes they are making as they learn.

We are doing amazingly well given the significant changes in personnel this year - our future is bright and in such an open season, we are as good a chance as any other team to win the flag at this stage. What a wonderful club we follow, we are so spoiled as supporters.

Good debut by Marsh. Much better than Allir. Marsh will learn he doesn't have to hand pass or kick to a senior player who calls for the ball in a bad spot. Does anyone know who Marsh was playing on.

Good win, Mitchell deserved BOG, gee our midfield is looking awesome.

Of the newies, Jones had his best game, Hewett again did some clever stuff, Marsh looks up to the level so now looks a keeper. Mills, well he's just class but we knew that.

Norf, well I was hating Thomas again and Firrito is just sniping scum. So glad Harvey wasn't sighted.

Nico
28th May 2016, 12:11 AM
Very even performance. My unsung hero , Kieran Jack. His burst speed to get out of the pack is so vital, he's having a really good year but been overshadowed by others.

And how often is he the third outside player who takes the final hand pass and scoots away.

Cosmic Wizard
28th May 2016, 12:14 AM
Is Parker injury?

Last few weeks his output has been really done.

Maybe they should give him a rest if that the case.

aardvark
28th May 2016, 12:16 AM
Maccas best game for a while imo. Sinclairs best for a while too. Good debut from Harry, fits right in. I'm loving Zac Jones, he's right on the edge of having a blinder sometime soon. Also thought Grundy and Tippo were terrific.
A strong win but boy did we butcher a lot of chances.

Pmcc2911
28th May 2016, 12:16 AM
Mcveigh had a shocking start but got better. Just watch that first quarter and keep an eye on him.

Best as a handball link player.

I thought the same thing, in defence in the 1st quarter he was shown up several times.
Did play better further up the ground.

aardvark
28th May 2016, 12:28 AM
Big crowd for a North game too.38,498.

undy
28th May 2016, 12:32 AM
I love the way rohan goes about it but what you have highlighted is the one criticism - he just doesn't get enough of the pill. Just waiting for that sustained run where he really breaks out, as he is such an excitement machine.
After his goal he played a fair amount of time as the loose man back deep behind play. Earlier on he was like a turbo charged ninja applying forward pressure. Amazingly fast. He did get looked off a bit as an exit option. I reckon the coaches will be rapt with his second game back.

dejavoodoo44
28th May 2016, 12:41 AM

Yes and his 12 tackles were handy.

Levii3
28th May 2016, 12:41 AM
We had 11 goal kickers tonight the only multiple kickers were Bud and McVeigh.

Jack got in form tonight

Parkers seems to be carrying a knee I think he should be the one rested next week and maybe bring in Abe Davis

Ludwig
28th May 2016, 01:13 AM
We had 11 goal kickers tonight the only multiple kickers were Bud and McVeigh.

Jack got in form tonight

Parkers seems to be carrying a knee I think he should be the one rested next week and maybe bring in Abe Davis Agree that Jack has been very good all year.

I thought Parker played well. We're just used to him being the dominant midfielder and the media have built him up to be a Brownlow favourite. But he was fine. It's just that the other 4 of the inside 5 were a bit better.

Hotpotato
28th May 2016, 01:24 AM
Not sure about Parker needing a rest. Possibly.

But Buddy looked like he'd taken a few heavy hits and seemed knackered .
Also made some strange descisions .
Maybe he needs a rest.

Important win.
Amazing how Swans find these young players to help them stay in the top 4.
Lots of credit to all who play a part in this .
Must drive other clubs mad. .

shippo
28th May 2016, 01:47 AM
Tom Mitchell was bloody fantastic tonight.

CureTheSane
28th May 2016, 01:50 AM
Jones was good tonight

Impressive debut by Marsh

McVeigh watch: played well overall tonight. Made some mistakes but made up for them. Much prefer him either on the wing linking kicks into the forward line, or in the forward line itself where he seems to be able to kick to a target better.

Levii3
28th May 2016, 01:57 AM
Some more good news Tom Mitchell set to reject strong Carlton interest and re-sign with Sydney Swans (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/tom-mitchell-set-to-reject-strong-carlton-interest-and-resign-with-sydney-swans/news-story/999fa8d2f3c905b82c0ac9a2e8fcbffd)

ugg
28th May 2016, 02:14 AM
Jones was good tonight

Impressive debut by Marsh

McVeigh watch: played well overall tonight. Made some mistakes but made up for them. Much prefer him either on the wing linking kicks into the forward line, or in the forward line itself where he seems to be able to kick to a target better.

McVeigh rated second best player tonight by the AFL Playet Rating system

longmile
28th May 2016, 03:18 AM
How was Firrito not reported? At the game his actions looked incredibly dirty and poor. Him and Lindsay thomas are bottom dwellers.
However impressed with our ability to stem there 3 talls and halt there momentum. Thought alot of our young guns stood up

bloodsbigot
28th May 2016, 04:40 AM
Some more good news Tom Mitchell set to reject strong Carlton interest and re-sign with Sydney Swans (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/tom-mitchell-set-to-reject-strong-carlton-interest-and-resign-with-sydney-swans/news-story/999fa8d2f3c905b82c0ac9a2e8fcbffd)

lol. He probably doesn't want to become the next Chris Judd (Losing Carlton version 2.0).

Primmy
28th May 2016, 08:22 AM
Is there anyone in the game who can celebrate a goal quite like Zac Jones? :rofl

barry
28th May 2016, 08:24 AM

Wow. Mcveighs value is as link man. Get a handball, give a handba?l. Soon as the ball is on the ground or in the air hes too easily bumpwd out of the way.

dimelb
28th May 2016, 09:07 AM
A terrific game by our boys, no passengers on a hard night.

My main wish for the team is that they would pay more attention to their spread and find people in space to keep the ball movement going forward. There were a few occasions when they opened up the field, then ran into a dead end. But overall it was great to watch, and Harrison made a promising debut.

barry
28th May 2016, 09:08 AM
Is there anyone in the game who can celebrate a goal quite like Zac Jones? :rofl

With his kicking he celebrates like it might be his last

stellation
28th May 2016, 09:17 AM
That made me smile, I really like Zac and what he brings to our team and I thought that was a nice reward for, what I thought was, a really solid game from him.

lwjoyner
28th May 2016, 10:09 AM
Thought Tipps was close to being BOG almost won as many centre bounces as Goldy but killed him around the ground.

royboy42
28th May 2016, 10:27 AM
Surely any remaining shreds of the "Mitchell is the obvious one to trade at end of season' nonsense are finally put to bed. What a great season he's having, and on top of his previous years when he was patently unfit, but still excellent.

mcs
28th May 2016, 10:32 AM
That made me smile, I really like Zac and what he brings to our team and I thought that was a nice reward for, what I thought was, a really solid game from him.

His kicking leaves plenty to be desired, but I really do like how he goes about his footy, and no doubt it'll be his key focus in training. Despite his average disposal skills by foot at this stage, I definitely think he is in our best 22.

Was really happy with what Marsh did last night - he looks physically ready for AFL footy now, and I was very happy with that as a first showing. Hoping he gets another run in the seniors next week, even if Teddy is right to play (Assuming of course the rumours that Ted won't play again aren't correct).

undy
28th May 2016, 11:20 AM
Wow. Mcveighs value is as link man. Get a handball, give a handba?l. Soon as the ball is on the ground or in the air hes too easily bumpwd out of the way.

I was very interested to see on the big screen that he weighs in at 76kg. Checked the player list now and he and Hiscox are the equal lightest at 74kg. His evasive skills are superb, but he does seem a bit light-weight in a mano-a-mano situation if he doesn't outsmart his opponent.

CureTheSane
28th May 2016, 11:36 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't have rated him there. I'd place him mid range in the team last night.
Biggest frustrations I have with him is that he regularly appears to be a bystander to the action, with no real drive to chase. Lethargic probably best describes it.

Auntie.Gerald
28th May 2016, 12:18 PM
re Macca: I have always found Hodge talking as much a playing when standing at HBF directing the team

I don't think that is a bad thing and in Soccer you tend to see the Sweeper/Centre Back talking and directing traffic as much as he touches the ball if not more

RE PARKER - i thought his run with role with Zeibel was to be commended........he shut down JZ who is a significant player when kicking well and setting up their forward line

- - - Updated - - -

PS our small back rotation... although making some mistakes at times....... really shut down their small forward rotation......... i like the way Mills and Zac and Swampy got to move up into the midfield with their opponents

Was Boomer even playing ?

Was Marsh primarily on Boomer from memory ?

MattW
28th May 2016, 01:21 PM
We won in the same fashion we have typically beaten North in recent years (last year's finals notwithstanding), which is by being harder in the midfield. It was a good win, but I think the result said more about where North are at than the Swans. I think our biggest rivals for the flag are Geelong, Hawthorn and Giants.

Break-out game by Jones. Played a bit further up the field and got a decent amount of ball. Still made a few bad decisions (caught in two minds) kicking forward, but his running was very impressive and showed poised when needed in front of goal. I think the decision-making will come with time.

Our midfield dominated them, and I think our backline is underrated. It was good to see McVeigh and Jack play well. Lloyd continues to have his best year - his run is quite important for us.

longmile
28th May 2016, 01:41 PM
My problem with McVeigh is that he's outmuscled so easily and doesnt really seem to have much of a second attempt. Still does some great things with ball in hand tho

56-14
28th May 2016, 01:57 PM
Surely any remaining shreds of the "Mitchell is the obvious one to trade at end of season' nonsense are finally put to bed. What a great season he's having, and on top of his previous years when he was patently unfit, but still excellent.

I differ here. It appears that he's been over-paid top dollars since his arrival.
Was never a fan of Barry & I've had a gut feel he'll follow in his footsteps.
e.g. looking back at the Richmond game - no Kennedy (doing the hard stuff) = no Mitchell.
Won't be sorry if he leaves - rather we invest our resources on a few genuine goers like Lloyd, Jones, etc.

Gary
28th May 2016, 02:13 PM
Lloyd, Mitchell? No brainer. Lloyd is patchy and makes some dreadful errors.
Overall a great performance, exciting to see Jones improving, Mills playing lake a vet, Heeney so much we can expect from him, Buddy just exciting ... Kennedy inspirational, if he could kick better he would be one of the greats. Tippett has become a real player who obviously loves the place. Grundy playing better than he ever did / could before ... we now have a real backline ... encouraging debut by Marsh.
Was at the game and the spoiler is people who just want to drink beer all night, push past you in the row with total disregard for what is happening on the field and the inconvenience /annoyance they cause ... ban alcohol except at the bar please or I won't be going again.

longmile
28th May 2016, 02:15 PM
ban alcohol except at the bar please or I won't be going again.

I think if that happened alot of people wouldn't go again. Don't let a few people ruin your night

Gary
28th May 2016, 02:34 PM
Suit me fine if it changed their thinking ... why do people seem to think that life will not be worth living if they had to go 30 minutes without another visit to the bar during play??? and actually fully engaged themselves in the game. We don't have to put up with inconsiderate smokers any more and shouldn't have to put up with inconsiderate drinkers.

Plugger46
28th May 2016, 02:50 PM
Drinking doesn't affect the health of others like smoking does. No brainer Gary.

cherub
28th May 2016, 02:53 PM
Suit me fine if it changed their thinking ... why do people seem to think that life will not be worth living if they had to go 30 minutes without another visit to the bar during play??? and actually fully engaged themselves in the game. We don't have to put up with inconsiderate smokers any more and shouldn't have to put up with inconsiderate drinkers.

Agree totally. I was at one game in the Trumper stand and a group of drinkers sloshed their beer over a grandparent/grandchildren group on their way back from the bar. A cursory "sorry" and back to laughs and giggles. Then, another group came along and did exactly the same thing.
Someone walked in front of me at a grand final, whilst someone was kicking for goal. I grabbed his shirt and yelled at him. He did get the message, but, why go to a grand final, or any game of footy, if not to watch footy. They need a lot more alcohol -free areas, which are not just the cheap seats.

Mug Punter
28th May 2016, 03:02 PM

I hope that story is right, I've always felt we were vulnerable to him leaving but I never wanted him to leave. We've got the makings of a great engine for years to come.

Other random thoughts

* Rampe a genuine leader at the club and the defence looked good but I still fear it'll be our weak link come September
* How composed is young Mills after only 10 games, nothing Flash Jack, he just goes about his business and does his role for the team, what an old head he seems to have on those young shoulders
* Hewett will be a good player for us but he still drifts in and out of games but does do a lot of little things that count. Not being too critical as he's come on well but I'm not sure he is quite in our best 22 yet
* McGlynn continues to show how important he is to us

Finally I don't know what McVeigh has to do to satisfy some of our so called "fans" here (and I thihk we all know the main offender), the continued sniping really just reflects the ignorance of that poster. Last night he kicked two very good long range goals and again provided good composure. Having said that I can't see him playing on beyond next year when his contract runs out

CureTheSane
28th May 2016, 03:07 PM
I don't know what McVeigh has to do to satisfy some of our so called "fans" here (and I thihk we all know the main offender), the continued sniping really just reflects the ignorance of that poster. Last night he kicked two very good long range goals and again provided good composure.

Kudos to you for standing by a stalwart of the club...

I can't see him playing on beyond next year when his contract runs out

NARF :D

Plugger46
28th May 2016, 03:20 PM
Wasn't McVeigh responsible for Harvey last night? Always harder to tell on TV but he seemed to be with him a lot. I couldn't possibly knock his game last night.

Similar to last week, we had a lot of good players and the opposition was still in the game midway through the last term. That's the only concern, not quite capitalising on our dominant periods.

barry
28th May 2016, 03:26 PM
I hope that story is right, I've always felt we were vulnerable to him leaving but I never wanted him to leave. We've got the makings of a great engine for years to come.

Other random thoughts

* Rampe a genuine leader at the club and the defence looked good but I still fear it'll be our weak link come September
* How composed is young Mills after only 10 games, nothing Flash Jack, he just goes about his business and does his role for the team, what an old head he seems to have on those young shoulders
* Hewett will be a good player for us but he still drifts in and out of games but does do a lot of little things that count. Not being too critical as he's come on well but I'm not sure he is quite in our best 22 yet
* McGlynn continues to show how important he is to us

Finally I don't know what McVeigh has to do to satisfy some of our so called "fans" here (and I thihk we all know the main offender), the continued sniping really just reflects the ignorance of that poster. Last night he kicked two very good long range goals and again provided good composure. Having said that I can't see him playing on beyond next year when his contract runs out
You should be banned for these sort of posts.

Mug Punter
28th May 2016, 03:28 PM
Wasn't McVeigh responsible for Harvey last night? Always harder to tell on TV but he seemed to be with him a lot. I couldn't possibly knock his game last night.

Similar to last week, we had a lot of good players and the opposition was still in the game midway through the last term. That's the only concern, not quite capitalising on our dominant periods.

He was very good last night actually. I just don't get it, I don't get it at all, how McVeigh is so maligned on here. he's not lazy, he's not a lair, he's been a great servant of the club and overall his standards are very high, not to mention his leadership. For sure he is starting to battle father time but I think he still offers a lot

Primmy
28th May 2016, 03:52 PM
I guess some people don't get that Macca is working his arse off on the ground distributing players like a chess game. He is the manipulator when required and the instigator ditto. Actually he is a Captain isn't he. Doing his job. Beautifully.

CureTheSane
28th May 2016, 04:22 PM
I dunno.
Grundy has a crap game and people come running to slam him
Mitchell gets BOG two weeks in a row and his skills are attributed to those around him
Tippett copped a bunch of criticism, so has Reid.
Then there's White when he was here...
Hiscox has one game and people are blindfolding him and placing him in front of a line of itchy fingers.

Anyone seems fair game for criticism, but dare call out McVeigh on some average games, and it seems he is off limits because he once copped a lot of criticism and then came good.
It's almost like "he's already had his fair share of knockers, lay off him"

barry
28th May 2016, 05:00 PM
Gross hypocracy

AnsweredPrayers
28th May 2016, 05:06 PM
I dunno.
Mitchell gets BOG two weeks in a row and his skills are attributed to those around him
Hiscox has one game and people are blindfolding him and placing him in front of a line of itchy fingers.

Anyone seems fair game for criticism, but dare call out McVeigh on some average games, and it seems he is off limits because he once copped a lot of criticism and then came good.
It's almost like "he's already had his fair share of knockers, lay off him"

You could add Lloyd to that list.

Ludwig
28th May 2016, 05:06 PM
Mark Robinson on SEN radio said that McVeigh was sensational last night. So I guess barry is right after all. We can't attribute everything Robbo says to alcoholism. Or could we?

barry
28th May 2016, 05:09 PM
Mark Robinson on SEN radio said that McVeigh was sensational last night. So I guess barry is right after all. We can't attribute everything Robbo says to alcoholism. Or could we?

Robbo was at the bar during the first quarter.

ScottH
28th May 2016, 05:50 PM
Young Zak finally showing us what he can do. Is that his best game so far??
A great team effort with some brilliant handball releases fro DH, JPK and TM.

How does a player as slow as Tom end up on his own so often?? Is he the Cheshire Cat?? just appears where and when he wants on the ground??

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night as much as the week before!!

mcs
28th May 2016, 06:02 PM
I differ here. It appears that he's been over-paid top dollars since his arrival.
e.g. looking back at the Richmond game - no Kennedy (doing the hard stuff) = no Mitchell.
Won't be sorry if he leaves - rather we invest our resources on a few genuine goers like Lloyd, Jones, etc.

You can't be serious....

mcs
28th May 2016, 06:06 PM

How does a player as slow as Tom end up on his own so often?? Is he the Cheshire Cat?? just appears where and when he wants on the ground??

Only complaint with Zak is his kicking is all over the place - but he really does appear to be beginning to find his feet as a senior footballer, and the stupid agro is beginning to drop out of his game as well :)

Industrial Fan
28th May 2016, 06:16 PM
I dunno.

It's almost like "he's already had his fair share of knockers, lay off him"dont think its that CTS. You're allowed an opinion but he has been subject to a sustained trolling with a complete lack of respect.

Most of the post game reactions from a lot of posters are over the top in relation to really any of the players you mentioned.

I am not a big fan of jones but he's shown some good form of late and I'm ok to give him time despite questions over his temperament.

To me it's a separate issue reviving the 'mchack' moniker and mentioning him seemingly in every post. Aside from anything else there is no one on the list who can perform better than he currently is.

Obviously now we don't need to talk about how crap anz was there needs to be a new troll target.

Nico
28th May 2016, 06:36 PM

Tom understands the game and just knows where to run. He's just got it.

barry
28th May 2016, 06:36 PM

Schrodingers cat. Hes everywhere at once until hes observed in space.

wolftone57
28th May 2016, 06:40 PM
Is Parker injury?

Last few weeks his output has been really done.

Maybe they should give him a rest if that the case.

Interesting in the reserves. Towers played mids and had a blinder. They stuck Abe Davis back and X Richards at FF (4 goals). still doesn't put in 100% effort, too lackadaisical looking. But Abe was very good and between him and Aliir in the second half Uni couldn't win. BJ also had a blinder. Rose was great too. That backline in the reserves could beat some AFL forward-lines I think. They are bloody mean. With Davis going back wow. As to giving Lukie a rest. I agree if he has a few aches best to get rid of them now. We play Suns next week and that would be the perfect opportunity to blood another one.Any one of the players mentioned could come in. Swampy was pretty good. I'm happy to be wrong in this case as the first time I saw him he was really good and I was excited to see such a clean player who could kick a 50-60 metre pass. Glad he did well and I think we should retain him next week.

Mug Punter
28th May 2016, 06:54 PM
dont think its that CTS. You're allowed an opinion but he has been subject to a sustained trolling with a complete lack of respect.

Most of the post game reactions from a lot of posters are over the top in relation to really any of the players you mentioned.

I am not a big fan of jones but he's shown some good form of late and I'm ok to give him time despite questions over his temperament.

To me it's a separate issue reviving the 'mchack' moniker and mentioning him seemingly in every post. Aside from anything else there is no one on the list who can perform better than he currently is.

Obviously now we don't need to talk about how crap anz was there needs to be a new troll target.

Spot on, the bloke in question is an out and out troll

- - - Updated - - -

Only complaint with Zak is his kicking is all over the place - but he really does appear to be beginning to find his feet as a senior footballer, and the stupid agro is beginning to drop out of his game as well :)

Zak is coming along very nicely indeed and he must really be enjoying his footy at the moment.

Mug Punter
28th May 2016, 07:02 PM
Interesting in the reserves. Towers played mids and had a blinder. They stuck Abe Davis back and X Richards at FF (4 goals). still doesn't put in 100% effort, too lackadaisical looking. But Abe was very good and between him and Aliir in the second half Uni couldn't win. BJ also had a blinder. Rose was great too. That backline in the reserves could beat some AFL forward-lines I think. They are bloody mean. With Davis going back wow. As to giving Lukie a rest. I agree if he has a few aches best to get rid of them now. We play Suns next week and that would be the perfect opportunity to blood another one.Any one of the players mentioned could come in. Swampy was pretty good. I'm happy to be wrong in this case as the first time I saw him he was really good and I was excited to see such a clean player who could kick a 50-60 metre pass. Glad he did well and I think we should retain him next week.

I still think Towers will be retained if his salary demands are modest but I think he has potential and could well look for greener pastures.

A club like Brisbane could benefit from a player like Deano or maybe even St Kilda. We are in a position where we may not wish to do much with our squad this off-season. There's at least three upgrades and I can only see four definite outs if Mitchell stays as I sincerely hope he does.

Our first round draft pick we'll take of course although I wouldn't rule out us trading both picks 1 and 2 this year for a decent KPD and take the three upgrades as our required picks. We've showed before we don't mind thinking outside the box when it comes to our drafting strategy. We clearly have some talent coming through in AA and Marsh as well as Talia but we need a main man to come in. Of course there is always the possibility Hurley has nominated us as his preferred destination

Is it allowed to just do rookie upgrades at the draft and not take an external player.

I'd expect a fukll clean out of the rookie list this year and start to really fill it with academy kids as the quality there will really start to improve in quality.

Primmy
28th May 2016, 08:45 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Zak is coming along very nicely indeed and he must really be enjoying his footy at the moment.Its amazing what a bit of confidence can do. OK, his kicking needs work, that will take a bit of time, but reading of the play is good, and his agro is now tempered. He is showing us a bit of what he could be. Not a world beater perhaps, but a keeper. He definitely has more control and is not needing to "prove" himself. He's played nearly each game this year hasn't he? Longmire must have told him he was valued. That alone would boost my sense of getting it right,.

Bloods05
28th May 2016, 10:55 PM
Gross hypocracy

Is that the name for government by hypocrites?

Bloods05
28th May 2016, 11:07 PM
He was very good last night actually. I just don't get it, I don't get it at all, how McVeigh is so maligned on here. he's not lazy, he's not a lair, he's been a great servant of the club and overall his standards are very high, not to mention his leadership. For sure he is starting to battle father time but I think he still offers a lot
I don't think this is complicated. People throw around the word "troll" but I would reserve that word for people who are disingenuously trying to provoke a reaction by posting stuff they don't really believe.

In this case I prefer to believe the views are sincerely held, but they are held by people who, let's be honest, really don't have much of a clue about footy, and thus are easily ignored.

Nico
28th May 2016, 11:31 PM
Trolls live under bridges.

liz
29th May 2016, 02:06 AM
Is it allowed to just do rookie upgrades at the draft and not take an external player.

No

I'd expect a fukll clean out of the rookie list this year and start to really fill it with academy kids as the quality there will really start to improve in quality.

Why? Which academy kids in particular? I don't think a single one of our (eligible) academy players has been chosen in the combined Allies squad to compete in division one of the National U18 championships. Abe's brother, Ben, is in the squad as an over-aged player but, as reported a week or so ago, he's not eligible as a concession player in the main draft (but probably will be if available in the rookie draft). Jake Brown still looms as a likely option. But it's not evident that there is a large group to choose from.

On the other hand, players currently on our rookie list (including those temporarily promoted to the senior list) include Papley, Marsh, Newman, O'Riordan who all look like they have strong AFL potential (and O'Riordan is on a two year contract). Melican is still very young and Harley's been raving about him. If they think he's stands any kind of chance of developing sufficiently I think he'll get a 3rd year, given we're not overly blessed with taller developing backmen. Foote looks a little vanilla to me, but I thought that about Robinson too, and Dan has certainly proved he can be a decent contributor at senior level. And you can't really fault what Foote's been doing so far this year in the NEAFL. He's been a strong and consistent performer (and is a tackling machine, something the Swans coaching staff loves). They can't all be promoted and one may be squeezed out, but several have a very strong case for staying on the list in some shape or form.

Ludwig
29th May 2016, 03:17 AM
Why? Which academy kids in particular? I don't think a single one of our (eligible) academy players has been chosen in the combined Allies squad to compete in division one of the National U18 championships. Abe's brother, Ben, is in the squad as an over-aged player but, as reported a week or so ago, he's not eligible as a concession player in the main draft (but probably will be if available in the rookie draft). Jake Brown still looms as a likely option. But it's not evident that there is a large group to choose from.

On the other hand, players currently on our rookie list (including those temporarily promoted to the senior list) include Papley, Marsh, Newman, O'Riordan who all look like they have strong AFL potential (and O'Riordan is on a two year contract). Melican is still very young and Harley's been raving about him. If they think he's stands any kind of chance of developing sufficiently I think he'll get a 3rd year, given we're not overly blessed with taller developing backmen. Foote looks a little vanilla to me, but I thought that about Robinson too, and Dan has certainly proved he can be a decent contributor at senior level. And you can't really fault what Foote's been doing so far this year in the NEAFL. He's been a strong and consistent performer (and is a tackling machine, something the Swans coaching staff loves). They can't all be promoted and one may be squeezed out, but several have a very strong case for staying on the list in some shape or form.I agree with you on this. I have very much the same feelings about our rookies.

I think there might be an Academy player Angus Baker named for the Allies. I don't know anything about him except that he's not a KPP.

It's still early days, but as of now I would guess that both Cat B rookies, Murray and Galloway, would be cut. We may just reduce our list back to 44 if there's no one around worth a go. Agree that Melican is most likely to get the 3rd year rookie slot. Foote will probably have to be delisted, but he's doing okay, His skills may be a bit too ordinary to make the grade, but he might be worth re-rookieing. It will be tough for rookie midfielder to get a go for some time. Newman, Marsh, Papley and O'Riordan all look senior material. Newman would be the one that would have to be upgraded or delisted. And Papley would be next in line for upgrading. I've already said that I think O'Riordan is a sure thing, but they may leave him on the rookie list another year to develop, especially since there really isn't a spot for him in the seniors now anyway.

Wardy
29th May 2016, 07:25 AM
Big crowd for a North game too.38,498. we seem to get a bigger crowd to Thursday & Friday nights - I'm thinking when we play Hawks on Thursday night 14th July the crowd size will be similar.

Simo
29th May 2016, 09:34 AM
A great win, but shoul and could have been bigger, we were sloppy with disposal. So many handballs to the feet of players. Yes pressure was high but some of these were when in the open. Lloyd was very ordinary on Friday, his disposal was awful. I'd almost say he was scared. I'm not one th usually pot players but the way he responded to the perceived pressure showed a weakness that will be looked at by other sides.
George on the other hand is calm and geautifully skilled, if MITCHELL goes, George to slot straight in.

Reid will need to be quick to survive in today's footy. North were to big and slow.
Is Harry tagging? Because he seems to ha e stopped being a link man?

We are going ok. If teds out , bring in Newman a gun kick.

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 09:37 AM
ha lloyd scared

lol

how many afl players are scared ?

mitchell is integral to our style of football

stellation
29th May 2016, 09:50 AM
Perhaps scared isn't the right term, but I was thinking along similar lines as Simo, during the first half of the game the game at least- to me Lloyd seemed abnormally timid going for contested balls or taking possession when contact was coming.

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 10:10 AM
I completely disagree re lloyd

he is not timid in my opinion

at a professional level each player has a very specific role

lloyds role is not to play as an inside player

he is to play outside of the contest and 110% he would be dropped from seniors if he let his outside player who he is running with get away from a contest

when u watch harryC and lloyd they continually assessing to be part of the exit from our contest or to stay close to their opposite outside player to nullify the opposition advantage if the opposition obtain the bll...........that is a huge part of their role........that is what is expected of them

when i played as an inside midfielder i never wanted my wing / outside players diving in at the contest as that was my job to farm it out to them and i expected them to be moving into space > that was their job

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 10:22 AM
part of our success on friday night was our outside players allowing mitchell to dive in at the contest and having lloyd or harry or hannes moving into space ahead of the contest

it is a nightmare for the opposition to match up on as they are in two minds to flood the ball or to keep running with their outside matchup...........i think instead of watching lloyd and stating he is a stand alone timid player we should equally watch the run with outside players of other teams

these types of players are instructed to look over both shoulders twice each way prior to going anywhere a contest........to ensure they have made the right call re obtaining the ball or staying outside

an inside player rarely can be spotted with the same body language as their role is to see ball get ball........they do not approach a contest in the same way........their body language and peripheral scanning does not look the same........hence they can appear less timid :)

Hannes is proving the ultimate match up as he plays equal inside and outside so his opposite number has to be equally good in both areas which is a serious challenge and a great advantage for the swans :)

dejavoodoo44
29th May 2016, 10:26 AM
I completely disagree re lloyd

he is not timid in my opinion

at a professional level each player has a very specific role

lloyds role is not to play as an inside player

he is to play outside of the contest and 110% he would be dropped from seniors if he let his outside player who he is running with get away from a contest

when u watch harryC and lloyd they continually assessing to be part of the exit from our contest or to stay close to their opposite outside player to nullify the opposition advantage if the opposition obtain the bll...........that is a huge part of their role........that is what is expected of them

when i played as an inside midfielder i never wanted my wing / outside players diving in at the contest as that was my job to farm it out to them and i expected them to be moving into space > that was their job
Exactly: Lloyd's role is to get to the outside of the packs and to provide an option for the players that are more adept at winning inside contests. This year, I've been impressed with just how many packs Lloyd does get to.

Mountain Man
29th May 2016, 10:30 AM
One thing I like about Lloyd is he is on his toes and constantly edging about. I see he is always ready to sprint away (hopefully with the ball).

Some 'outside' players seem flat footed when around a contest - but rarely Lloyd

Meg
29th May 2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks Auntie, your explanations are really interesting to me. While I've watched a lot of footy I've never played it, so I know I miss some of the strategic tactics happening on the field.

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 10:42 AM
last point for me then i will jump off the soap box

when playing on the likes of a stephen hill or Rioli it is a true art form nullifying these guys impact on a game

watch lloyd and HarryC next time they match up............Lloyd and HarryC are constantly watching 360 degrees anticipating what the elite outside players are about to do

let hill or rioli move 3 metres away from at your peril........no matter how enticing it would be to dive in and win the ball at a nearby contest.............

timid...... no........constantly calculating...... yes ...........on high alert........ yes.........doing their job.......yes !!!

personally i think the gut running these guys have to do each week to back them selves then get back on their elite opposition is brave in the endeavour and brave in the execution

PS - i think Lloyd was matching up first half out on the wing on Gibson and McMullan ? but Lloyd first qtr was creating a stack of outside and back exit options for the ball winners.........of which he didn't receive as many as he could

stellation
29th May 2016, 10:44 AM
I appreciate the concept of inside and outside players and players needing to perform their roles, but whilst watching the first half of the game I did find myself thinking that Lloyd looked a little timid. I'm not particularly concerned by it, I've not really found him to be timid before (hence "abnormally").

barry
29th May 2016, 11:05 AM
Norf are a hard bodied team. They have great inside mids and their outside miss are matured bodies. They exposed, or maybe went after, our weaker framed players like lloyd and mcveigh.

Lloyd is a good player that needs a preseason in the gym to improve his upper body strength to get to the next level.

liz
29th May 2016, 11:06 AM
"Timid" wasn't what sprang to mind watching Lloyd, but he did seem to get buffeted out of contests quite a bit. I don't think it's a big issue. He's not in the team to win the ball on the ground in multi-player contests. We have plenty of others who can do that. At least he "goes" when it's his turn, even if it's not always effective.

WauchopeAnalyst
29th May 2016, 11:17 AM
we seem to get a bigger crowd to Thursday & Friday nights - I'm thinking when we play Hawks on Thursday night 14th July the crowd size will be similar.
My only game for the year, due to local junior/senior footy with a family get together . Both teams starting to prepare for finals and should be crucial for both[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 11:22 AM
last one i promise as i think it is a really important measure on an outside player near a contest

a great example of an outside player near a contest is the next few minutes after the Lindsay thomas first goal at the beginning of the 1st qtr

at the centre bounce

Llloyd is on the wing next to Gibson

North win the contest and drive it forward and quick as a flash Lloyd leaves Gibson......has 15 metres on him already to race to where the ball is dropping to the pack........tick to Lloyd in reading this play better then Gibson and tick he has spread harder then Gibson and tick he has made an extra number around the contest

Lloyd gets within a couple of metres of the contest and he is genuinely bouncing around.......almost timid?.....almost hesitant?......maybe?........or is he ready to spread hard in a millisecond ?

Hannes who has extracted the ball from the pack and lloyd has opened his body up to receive the ball while facing forward which is another tick.......Hannes doesn't quite get the ball to him........ ball spills back to Parker and Parkers get taken high....free kick parker

Lloyd has already wrapped around to the boundary a good 30m as he is sprinting forward with no Gibson to be seen two ticks !!!...........lloyd is now 40 from where he was last with Hannes and runs off the mark taken by Hewett to out number the Kangas BUT most importantly to allow a fast play forward to Heeney who grabs the ball from the contest and plays on to Buddy........tick, tick, tick boom !

but yes i would agree Lloyds body language appeared a little jumpy and hesitant back at the contest where Hannes tried to get him the ball ...........but for all the right reasons as he was the link to all this play and he had to keep moving ...........quite unbelievable actually when you watch lloyd go.........his vision is quite amazing

the 30 seconds either side of Parkers free kick we have had lloyd do about 9 things right and Gibson nil..... his opposite number....... in an outside role .......yet if we focussed on Lloyd not diving in with Hannes to win the ball we might not appreciated all the other running, linking, outnumbering he did in that 60 seconds or so !!!!

Lloyd 9 ticks and Gibson ZERO !!

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 11:28 AM
"Timid" wasn't what sprang to mind watching Lloyd, but he did seem to get buffeted out of contests quite a bit. I don't think it's a big issue. He's not in the team to win the ball on the ground in multi-player contests. We have plenty of others who can do that. At least he "goes" when it's his turn, even if it's not always effective.

Liz i agree and can think of instances in the game where he was one on one near the boundary and got pushed off the ball...........i just feel that for too long on this forum we don't analyse a play like i have above that goes for 60 seconds and lloyd had 9 ticks and Gibson his opposite number had nil !!!

that is quite unbelievable

the other thing we rarely discuss on this forum is that when a player like Lloyd gets bumped off..........did he keep his feet and get to the next contest before his opposite number i.e. to create a rebound and or link for the next play for the Bloods?

that is what Horse talks about all the time........second efforts that count even more then the mistake

Industrial Fan
29th May 2016, 11:35 AM
Won't be sorry if he leaves - rather we invest our resources on a few genuine goers like Lloyd, Jones, etc.the tigers game wasn't a case of no Mitchell, it was good coaching to make sure there weren't many stoppages. Tigers held the ball to stop us from organising. Aside from centre square work which is a fair bit different anyway they didn't give Mitchell a chance to influence the game.

dimelb
29th May 2016, 11:36 AM
AG - six (6!) enlightening plays before Morning Tea! A great effort and most instructive. As far as this learner is concerned you can do that any time you want. :clap:

stellation
29th May 2016, 11:44 AM
Buffeted out of contests is a good way to put it, I don't think timid is too unkind as I thought after a little early buffeting he became overly aware of the coming pressure. He worked through it, to my eyes, and improved as the game went on.

I didn't walk away from the game dwelling on Lloyd at all, but I did think Simo's observation was perhaps worthy of some polite discussion instead of being immediately dismissed (as I'd observed something relatively similar).

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 12:03 PM
i apologise if came across dismissive Stellation............. my frustration is that no one else has stood up for these types of players and acknowledge what goes on off and around the ball and either side of what people call timid body language or receiving a decent bump or tackle

I think it is unfair to say that Lloyd appeared hesitant, timid, soft what ever one wants use as a word to describe his efforts around the contest without comparing everything else he does on the field that betters their teams success to execute and link play and score goals

I would also like to throw out a challenge to anyone keen to watch the first 5mins of the first qtr of the Swans and North........

If you can find any other player that covers more ground, more opportunities to receive a pass, more links, more correct technique, more opening of space and quite simply making his opposite run with player look an embarrassment for 5mins.........then...........good luck because Lloyd had Gibson looking like he got schooled

Llloyds involvement in the linkage of play.........ie transitions out of our backline and involvement for entries into our forward line is simply fast class

just as an example:

in this 5minutes of doing 20 great things lloyd was smashed in a tackle when getting caught inside with kennedy

in this 5 minutes Lloyd looked hesitant to take the ball from Hannes when he was in close to the contest

In this 5 minutes i would argue he also had the most influence and the most involvement in the game by any player on the field of which there was 35 others

Hotpotato
29th May 2016, 12:39 PM
Auntie Gerald ?
Love your Close analysis !
Are you really .... Ummmm
Paul Kelly...
Maybe not .... A bit too cerebral !!

56-14
29th May 2016, 01:03 PM
the tigers game wasn't a case of no Mitchell, it was good coaching to make sure there weren't many stoppages. Tigers held the ball to stop us from organising. Aside from centre square work which is a fair bit different anyway they didn't give Mitchell a chance to influence the game.

Your post makes me realise I was wrong with my assessment of Mitchell against Richmond. (Was hoping he'd step up with Kennedy being out.) Should have considered they're 2 different players with different roles to play.
That said, still hope we don't overspend on this sort of player.

re: Auntie.Gerald's post.

Absolutely agree with the assessment on Lloyd on Friday night.

Primmy
29th May 2016, 01:35 PM
Good work AG. Giving ugg a run for his evaluating money. My observations as well, which means I must be faabuluous at this gig too, just not as lucid (ahem).

Also, watch George. He is constantly head swivelling and assessing. Reminds me of Stuey and his darting eyes.

The kids are learning good habits from the getgo. No passengers.

wolftone57
29th May 2016, 01:39 PM
Norf are a hard bodied team. They have great inside mids and their outside miss are matured bodies. They exposed, or maybe went after, our weaker framed players like lloyd and mcveigh.

Lloyd is a good player that needs a preseason in the gym to improve his upper body strength to get to the next level.

sorry but I don't agree that Lloydie needs a good preseason in the gym. Some players are not going to be 'Bam Bam' Parker. Thay are naturally slim and any more work on his frame and he could end up on the permanent injury list. He has enough development for the role the coaches want him to play

barry
29th May 2016, 01:47 PM
sorry but I don't agree that Lloydie needs a good preseason in the gym. Some players are not going to be 'Bam Bam' Parker. Thay are naturally slim and any more work on his frame and he could end up on the permanent injury list. He has enough development for the role the coaches want him to play

Well what do you think lloyd needs to go to the next level ?

Auntie.Gerald
29th May 2016, 02:08 PM
Good work AG. Giving ugg a run for his evaluating money. My observations as well, which means I must be faabuluous at this gig too, just not as lucid (ahem).

Also, watch George. He is constantly head swivelling and assessing. Reminds me of Stuey and his darting eyes.

The kids are learning good habits from the getgo. No passengers.

I agree George hewett has been fantastic to watch also

his ability to post up at his height and youth is strong but his ability to peel off into the correct space as the other option has been very good for a newbie to Snrs......his pressure has been above average also in our forward line..........his decision making is like a young Del Santo........they appear to have so much time with the ball

In particular on friday George kicked two from three cracking lace out passes from outside the arc and they were both on his non preferred left foot which surprised his defender........but it is generally in the area of Buds fav kick which is even better and I was surprised the Kangas didn't have that covered

Look there is every possibility that the bloods young ones can not roll like they have so far...... deep into the season........but i think the strategy by the Swans of playing young guys who appear to be ready has paid off and hopefully we don't do a GWS or Port from last season

Young one Locks for second half of season and finals:
Heeney
Hewett
Jones > but will have pressure from Swampy
Mills > "

Not sure yet re best 22 but certainly can play a decent role if called upon again:
Swampy
AA
Robo
Paps

giant
29th May 2016, 02:58 PM
Speaking of kicking on your non-preferred foot, Rampe would have one of the best right foot kicks I've seen from a left footer. Last couple of weeks there have been some outstanding examples.

Another very good win on the back of tremendous midfield work rate, with most of the youngsters continuing to show the goods. Starting to get a wee bit excited.

barry
29th May 2016, 03:07 PM
Swans have a habit of snagging flags in between eras. 2005: just after the brisbane 3 peat. 2012: just before the hawthorn 3 peat.

Industrial Fan
29th May 2016, 05:53 PM
We also donated one to the hawks for their 3 peat.

goswannies
29th May 2016, 06:10 PM

Robert Flower, Michael Tuck

barry
29th May 2016, 08:05 PM
Ok, i watched the first half again and while mcveigh had some costly clangers that directly led to norf goals, he was also covering boomer who also was quiet. So lets call it a pass.

But according to RWO logic he needs resting.

29th May 2016, 09:09 PM
Ok, i watched the first half again and while mcveigh had some costly clangers that directly led to norf goals, he was also covering boomer who also was quiet. So lets call it a pass.

According to Barry logic, he could have had 37 disposals at 95% efficiency, 8 tackles, kicked 5.1, is named Jarad McVeigh so he needs dropping or delisting :rolleyes:

dejavoodoo44
29th May 2016, 09:45 PM
Speaking of kicking on your non-preferred foot, Rampe would have one of the best right foot kicks I've seen from a left footer. Last couple of weeks there have been some outstanding examples.

Another very good win on the back of tremendous midfield work rate, with most of the youngsters continuing to show the goods. Starting to get a wee bit excited.

Yes, for what it's worth, we're now the premiership favourites. We're at $4.50 and depending on which market you look at, Geelong and Hawthorn are next at around $5.50, $6.00, while the other two clubs under $10.00 are West Coast and GWS. Surprisingly. Adelaide are at around $16.00. To me, that's too long for the Crows and too short for the Cats.

RogueSwan
29th May 2016, 10:15 PM
I noticed a couple of times on Friday night that McGlynn lacked vision when kicking into the F50, kicking to contests instead of the open player. I don't think I have ever seen such obvious lack of awareness from him and I understand that it is easier to see from the couch but it really stuck with me.
Another thing that has been bugging me is the instant handballing. Every single time, well maybe not every time, we try to handball out of congestion our boys first action is to handball it straightaway, even if they aren't under immediate pressure. It leads to some hospital passes where, if they had held onto it one pass earlier they probably would have had a kick opportunity. Hey, it seems to work most of the time but I think it becomes predictable and opposition sides can plan for it. Just a bit too much handball for the sake of it. It is a "first-world-footy" problem though.

We also donated one to the hawks for their 3 peat.

shhhhhhhh, don't mention the war

Mug Punter
29th May 2016, 10:22 PM
No

On the other hand, players currently on our rookie list (including those temporarily promoted to the senior list) include Papley, Marsh, Newman, O'Riordan who all look like they have strong AFL potential (and O'Riordan is on a two year contract). Melican is still very young and Harley's been raving about him. If they think he's stands any kind of chance of developing sufficiently I think he'll get a 3rd year, given we're not overly blessed with taller developing backmen. Foote looks a little vanilla to me, but I thought that about Robinson too, and Dan has certainly proved he can be a decent contributor at senior level. And you can't really fault what Foote's been doing so far this year in the NEAFL. He's been a strong and consistent performer (and is a tackling machine, something the Swans coaching staff loves). They can't all be promoted and one may be squeezed out, but several have a very strong case for staying on the list in some shape or form.

Liz, that's not my reading and interpretation of the AFL rules, and I've posted a thread to hopefully have a more detailed answer to my question.

In terms of rookie options Brown is one that comes to mind and young Wilson seems to going well. Abe's brother if he is still available. And possibly Hebron, Behagg or Baron-Hay have shown enough in the NEAFL to be given a crack.

I'm not suggesting we give spots away on the rookie list but all other things being equal having kids that have come through the academy should be our preferred option I'd say. From the sounds of it the academy system is only a year or two away from starting to produce some really good numbers in terms of draftable kids so long term I'd see the academy as our natural selection pool for the rookie list

barry
29th May 2016, 10:59 PM
According to Barry logic, he could have had 37 disposals at 95% efficiency, 8 tackles, kicked 5.1, is named Jarad McVeigh so he needs dropping or delisting :rolleyes:

Stupid comment. As if mchack ever had 37 touches at 95%

Lol

29th May 2016, 11:13 PM
Stupid comment. As if mchack ever had 37 touches at 95%

Lol

Fair enough to Barry. Although it''s probably fortunate I don't write "stupid comment" in reply to every very stupid comment you write about Macca ... most threads you post on would rival the length of Tippett's thread!

LoL ;)

giant
30th May 2016, 12:00 AM

He was certainly on Thomas for some of the time that he was running amok. Q1 was not great for McV but he improved throughout the night (thank goodness). As I noted last week, he was just about the best ball user in the team, he now regularly misses targets. Still important for us though.

Dosser
30th May 2016, 08:10 AM
He was certainly on Thomas for some of the time that he was running amok. Q1 was not great for McV but he improved throughout the night (thank goodness). As I noted last week, he was just about the best ball user in the team, he now regularly misses targets. Still important for us though.

I watched the game for the first time last night and took particular interest in McVeigh because of this thread. By the end of the match I couldn't think of anyone in the magoos who would have done a better job. He is becoming underrated on here.

Triple B
30th May 2016, 11:06 AM
From observations at the ground, McVeigh was awful in the 1st quarter and a half, goals not withstanding. He was caught out multiple times in defence and was outpaced by Petrie in one play. He certainly improved as the night went on. Watching the replay his defensive lapses in the first half were not as noticeable on TV, probably because he was not in screen shot when he looked like he was tagging Peter Brady....

neilfws
30th May 2016, 11:14 AM
How about a graph which shows how many "Harrys" have played at each club?:wink: and if you have time, What are the top ten first names of AFL/VFL players of all time?

I guess I can indulge myself now that the game chat has died down a bit.

Harrys per club (not counting Harrisons). Well, by absolute number, Saint Kilda win. But really, we need to correct for total number of players (far more have played for the Saints than for the Suns, for example). So if we calculate Harrys per 1000 players for a club, Carlton win. Good to see that the Hawks "Harry index" is abysmal.

And the top 10 first names: Harry just scrapes in at number 10.

Click graphs for larger versions.

O'Reilly Boy
30th May 2016, 11:24 AM
last one i promise as i think it is a really important measure on an outside player near a contest

a great example of an outside player near a contest is the next few minutes after the Lindsay thomas first goal at the beginning of the 1st qtr

at the centre bounce

Llloyd is on the wing next to Gibson

North win the contest and drive it forward and quick as a flash Lloyd leaves Gibson......has 15 metres on him already to race to where the ball is dropping to the pack........tick to Lloyd in reading this play better then Gibson and tick he has spread harder then Gibson and tick he has made an extra number around the contest

Lloyd gets within a couple of metres of the contest and he is genuinely bouncing around.......almost timid?.....almost hesitant?......maybe?........or is he ready to spread hard in a millisecond ?

Hannes who has extracted the ball from the pack and lloyd has opened his body up to receive the ball while facing forward which is another tick.......Hannes doesn't quite get the ball to him........ ball spills back to Parker and Parkers get taken high....free kick parker

Lloyd has already wrapped around to the boundary a good 30m as he is sprinting forward with no Gibson to be seen two ticks !!!...........lloyd is now 40 from where he was last with Hannes and runs off the mark taken by Hewett to out number the Kangas BUT most importantly to allow a fast play forward to Heeney who grabs the ball from the contest and plays on to Buddy........tick, tick, tick boom !

but yes i would agree Lloyds body language appeared a little jumpy and hesitant back at the contest where Hannes tried to get him the ball ...........but for all the right reasons as he was the link to all this play and he had to keep moving ...........quite unbelievable actually when you watch lloyd go.........his vision is quite amazing

the 30 seconds either side of Parkers free kick we have had lloyd do about 9 things right and Gibson nil..... his opposite number....... in an outside role .......yet if we focussed on Lloyd not diving in with Hannes to win the ball we might not appreciated all the other running, linking, outnumbering he did in that 60 seconds or so !!!!

Lloyd 9 ticks and Gibson ZERO !!

Thank you so much for this extraordinary analysis. It's the best piece of writing about the technical side of this sport I have ever seen (and my job is in the academic study of human movement). This is just exemplary, and, with your permission, I'd like to use it for teaching.

AnnieH
30th May 2016, 11:31 AM
Wow. Again, wasn't expecting that.
Another week of being happy!!!

aardvark
30th May 2016, 11:39 AM
I guess I can indulge myself now that the game chat has died down a bit.

Harrys per club (not counting Harrisons). Well, by absolute number, Saint Kilda win. But really, we need to correct for total number of players (far more have played for the Saints than for the Suns, for example). So if we calculate Harrys per 1000 players for a club, Carlton win. Good to see that the Hawks "Harry index" is abysmal.

And the top 10 first names: Harry just scrapes in at number 10.

Click graphs for larger versions.

Is it fair to say Harry has been more of an upper class name seeing as how Carlton have the most and Hawthorn the least? Not sure I would have picked Frank as being in the top 10.

barry
30th May 2016, 11:59 AM
Great work. I expect Jack to pull further ahead as its very popular in the next generation of kids.

Bloods05
30th May 2016, 03:16 PM
Is it fair to say Harry has been more of an upper class name seeing as how Carlton have the most and Hawthorn the least? Not sure I would have picked Frank as being in the top 10.

Hawthorn is way more upper-class than Carlton.

aardvark
30th May 2016, 05:02 PM
Hawthorn is way more upper-class than Carlton.

These days you're probably right. When I was a boy (50 yrs ago) Hawthorn was a dump.

Sandrevan
30th May 2016, 05:59 PM
There has been a lot of talk about Lloyds game. At the time I thought he was pretty good. On the TV you only see what part of what each player does. I think of Lloyd at the link man. His positional play is good and he has great foot skills. His only real mistake of the game was kicking the ball into the man on the mark - but we all know about that one. I bet he will never do that again.
Loving the way George Hewett is developing - so composed. His left foot kick to Heeny in the goal square was fantastic.

Industrial Fan
30th May 2016, 07:47 PM
Big fan of hewett, he definitely does have a case of the Selwood shake though. Always puts himself in a spot to draw high contact.

Mug Punter
30th May 2016, 08:29 PM
Big fan of hewett, he definitely does have a case of the Selwood shake though. Always puts himself in a spot to draw high contact.

I'd like that to be coached out of his game and I trust Horse and the team to do exactly that.

He did a lot of little things on Friday that largely went unnoticed but he's adapted to senior footy really well and he'll get better

WauchopeAnalyst
30th May 2016, 08:44 PM
Coaches votes

9 Hannebery
8 Mitchell
7 Kennedy
2 Cunnington
2 McVeigh
2 Tippett

I am sure that there will be some discussion about the votes.

Who got 1 and 1 and which ones got the 2s and from which coach and why????

Dan got 5 and 4 and Tom got a 5 but get only got a 3 and JPK got a 4 and 3.

I have not idea how one or two coaches thought that McVeigh should get votes.

(No hate from me about McVeigh but he was terrible in defence and fumbling and missing targets, very good forward or forward of centre)

RogueSwan
30th May 2016, 09:38 PM
One point on McVeigh, on the Grandstand podcast they interviewed Horse. He reminded the commentators, and myself, that Macca had a knee operation at the end of last year and did not have a full pre-season. The coaches knew he wouldn't be at his best straight away and, and I am obviously making an assumption here, that there was no value in putting him in the reserves to get him up to match fitness.

barry
30th May 2016, 09:44 PM
Hard to understand why he didn't play a game or two in the 2s as we were flying before his return. Didn't we drop jones for him ?

Bloods05
30th May 2016, 10:17 PM
These days you're probably right. When I was a boy (50 yrs ago) Hawthorn was a dump.

So was Carlton.

liz
30th May 2016, 10:50 PM
Loving the way George Hewett is developing - so composed. His left foot kick to Heeny in the goal square was fantastic.

His handball over the top of traffic to find Jones for his goal was pretty good too. Absolutely perfectly placed and weighted.

graemed
31st May 2016, 07:30 AM
His handball over the top of traffic to find Jones for his goal was pretty good too. Absolutely perfectly placed and weighted.

He has beautiful balance and keeps his feet in many contests so he creates space and time then is able to release the ball effectively despite traffic, another example of this was on the Ladies Stand flank when he collected the footy in the contest and released to Kennedy who was free.

Unfortunately he is also being noticed for his ability to win free kicks for high contact. Unlike others his are usually the result of winning the footy low then staying low in the act of being tackled.

Whilst a successful ploy and well within the rules, he does risk serious injury by the very nature of exposing his neck and head.

penga
31st May 2016, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately he is also being noticed for his ability to win free kicks for high contact. Unlike others his are usually the result of winning the footy low then staying low in the act of being tackled.

Whilst a successful ploy and well within the rules, he does risk serious injury by the very nature of exposing his neck and head.

Ah, another comment regarding ducking. Hewett needs the Selwood slip coached out of him pronto!!

Nico
31st May 2016, 04:18 PM
In Hewett's defence; when he got caught high he was coming up after gathering the ball at his feet. He may have put his head in the right spot for a free but I don't know that he could have done anything else.

Ludwig
31st May 2016, 04:56 PM
I don't have a problem with the way Hewett gets his frees either. It's similar to the Joel Selwood method. I wouldn't even call it a technique. It's going in and getting possession of the ball, staying low and moving forward, but not into a stationary player. Its very hard to tackle someone doing that, but its a reward for the player that wins the ball. And the onus is on the tackler, who is often the one that didn't win possession and then tries to make amends by the tackling the player that does.

What I don't like is the 2nd Lindsay Thomas stunt where he backs into Nick Smith. In that case Thomas is initiating the contact to draw the free kick. He's not trying to avoid being tackled or making any attempt to play the ball and improve his advantage. He simply looks to draw head high contact. If the player in possession stays low and drives into a stationary player, then it's play on. I don't see why driving into a player in reverse should make a difference. The point is the player with the ball is initiating the head high contact.

Players like Puopolo and McGlynn are short and quick and by that very nature are difficult to tackle and will draw a lot of head high contact. So be it. We can't penalize a player for being short.

penga
31st May 2016, 05:46 PM
I don't have a problem with the way Hewett gets his frees either. It's similar to the Joel Selwood method. I wouldn't even call it a technique. It's going in and getting possession of the ball, staying low and moving forward, but not into a stationary player. Its very hard to tackle someone doing that, but its a reward for the player that wins the ball. And the onus is on the tackler, who is often the one that didn't win possession and then tries to make amends by the tackling the player that does.

Hmm.. Hewett employs the Selwood technique of raising his elbow, ensuring the contact goes high. Watch for it.

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 12:00 AM
I am sure that I will regret saying this, but I have watched about 1.5 quarters of the North game

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 12:45 AM
I am sure that I will regret saying this, but I have watched about 1.5 quarters of the North game and McVeigh was terrible.

Lost every contest, 2 x Thomas, Dumont, missed 5m handpass, kicked straight to Waite, 1 good banana kick to Rohan, another lost contest started when 3m in front and then Petrie won the ball. Mcveigh get towed around by Nahas and doesnt touch him. Picks up Harvey in defence for ball ups or boundary throw ins, not running with him, so far.

The 2 goals. 2 good kicks. Straight turnover, which he fumbled, but regathered, poor drop but flushed it. Other goal created by brilliant handpass by Hannebery.

Unfortunately there is an unbalanced view by many and the coaches that McVeigh is a deity and a Churchillian leader and his mistakes are white washed or ignored.

Longmire and Mcveigh have admirable traits and there history shows their talent but as I have said previously it just won't work properly. History is yesterday. Kizza is playing better then Mcveigh every week, by Mcveigh is talked up every week.

Longmire gave Mcveigh a vote, there were only 4 better players on the night, cmon there has to more this bromance then his on field performance.

Pointing doesnt count. I see Kizza, Joey, Parks, Titch, Buddy, Reg, Laids all pointing but the Rose Coloured Glasses brigade all pump up Mcveigh as our leader for pointing.

The fact is Dan is the man, our most important player and our inspiring leader.

I dont want to have another great season and then pumped in a grand final, like 2014, with our leader delivering nothing on field and coaching crew delivering nothing off field.

My view of 2014 GF is that Buddy, JPK, Goodes and McGlynn were our best players and think about that!

From my view, I dont think its a rant and I am a facts man living today, not a romantic living on happy days of yesterday.

barry
3rd June 2016, 06:32 AM
Post of the year

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 07:43 AM
I told you that I was concerned about my post and now it has fulfilled the prophecy with Barrys' comment. Maybe Im wrong!????

barry
3rd June 2016, 08:52 AM
I told you that I was concerned about my post and now it has fulfilled the prophecy with Barrys' comment. Maybe Im wrong!????

Gee, thanks.????

Triple B
3rd June 2016, 09:15 AM
I posted elsewhere that McV's first quarter and a half were diabolical, so much so that when Petrie ran past him like he was wearing concrete boots I text a few other posters on this board that "Macca is cooked".

He improved dramatically after that, although I also found it hard to see how he could have been given coaches votes...

ScottH
3rd June 2016, 10:10 AM
McV's vote was probably due to the fact that Harvey had a @@@@ game, and McV was perceived as shutting him down!?!?!?!

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 11:50 AM
I watched up to 3/4 time and there was not clear 'run with job':hmmmm2: on Harvey. McV picked up Boomer at stoppages in our D50's but couldnt run with him, unless riding a motorbike. Thomas, Dumont, Pertrie all ran past him at contests.

Plugger46
3rd June 2016, 12:12 PM
I posted elsewhere that McV's first quarter and a half were diabolical, so much so that when Petrie ran past him like he was wearing concrete boots I text a few other posters on this board that "Macca is cooked".

He improved dramatically after that, although I also found it hard to see how he could have been given coaches votes...

Was he responsible for Harvey? He did bugger all and McVeigh seemed to be with him a fair bit.

Edit: Missed the next two posts...

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 02:52 PM
Where are the votes for Smith absolutely blanketing Rioli in round 9?????

Bloods05
3rd June 2016, 03:38 PM
Where are the votes for Smith absolutely blanketing Rioli in round 9?????

This really is getting silly. If you guys want to behave like Richmond supporters, there's an obvious path for you to take.

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd June 2016, 09:22 PM
Are you allowed to question tenet and dogma or only positive views, I never have and never will, no person or organisation is perfect.

Mug Punter
3rd June 2016, 10:13 PM
:clap:
This really is getting silly. If you guys want to behave like Richmond supporters, there's an obvious path for you to take.

(clap):adore:

Bloods05
4th June 2016, 12:13 AM
Are you allowed to question tenet and dogma or only positive views, I never have and never will, no person or organisation is perfect.

You don't always have to be positive, but it is absolutely compulsory to make sense.