PDA

View Full Version : B-Mac

CureTheSane
31st May 2016, 02:37 PM
Where does everyone sit with Benny McGlynn?
Over the years I've found him frustrating, always in the verge of becoming a solid part of the 22, but never quite getting there because of form and/or injuries.
At the moment I see him as being pretty valuable to the team, providing some much needed run.
He and Rohan are the two who can really break things open and change the game.
So where does he sit with everyone else?

ScottH
31st May 2016, 03:08 PM
I always thought some of the younger mob would go past him in the last 2 seasons, but he keeps bobbing up at the right time!!
He has the pace and the skill to put himself in the right place at the right time, and roves the front of the packs pretty well,

He's a keeper, for now.

BRISWAN
31st May 2016, 03:44 PM
Keep Benny,
Experience like that is invaluable when it counts most.

Nico
31st May 2016, 04:09 PM
Works hard and fits into the 22, but....a horrible footpass of the pill. Spots up the opposition way too often.

RogueSwan
31st May 2016, 04:44 PM
Works hard and fits into the 22, but....a horrible footpass of the pill. Spots up the opposition way too often.

or just doesn't spot the obvious pass. A couple of times on the weekend he kicked to a contest when there were other options where a Swans player held an advantage. I cursed those missed opportunities but I believe he more than makes up for it with his tenacious attitude. He is in our top 22 at the moment for mine.

CureTheSane
31st May 2016, 05:07 PM
Yeah, should be mandatory for a quick glance around before you kick.

Also, what's the point of the "move it on (1/2 second pause) play on" call by the umpires.
Why not just call play on?

chev_deezy
31st May 2016, 05:09 PM
Papley is shaping as taking his spot if benny drops form but you would feel the swans hierarchy will choose him with his experience and his leadership in the front half. That said his courageousness in the contest is second to none (firrito contest). he did blow off buddy a couple times and missed targets but our midfield do that as well.

Mug Punter
31st May 2016, 09:22 PM
Where does everyone sit with Benny McGlynn?
Over the years I've found him frustrating, always in the verge of becoming a solid part of the 22, but never quite getting there because of form and/or injuries.
At the moment I see him as being pretty valuable to the team, providing some much needed run.
He and Rohan are the two who can really break things open and change the game.
So where does he sit with everyone else?

Benny gives us grunt and he kicks clutch goals, he's an underrated but very important part of our setup. If we make the big one he'll be one player that will not go MIA

liz
31st May 2016, 09:52 PM
I think he's close to the end but deserves his place at the moment. We have an heir apparent in young Papley but it's hard to fit them both into the team at the moment, given the other options available (eg Rohan now back, who offers a different dimension in the front half of the ground). Even if Papley were fit, I think Benny's still got his nose in front as a bigger and more battle hardened body.

jono2707
31st May 2016, 09:57 PM
Benny brings a great energy to the team and he has the uncanny knack of popping up at just the right time.

Mug Punter
31st May 2016, 09:58 PM
I think he's close to the end but deserves his place at the moment. We have an heir apparent in young Papley but it's hard to fit them both into the team at the moment, given the other options available (eg Rohan now back, who offers a different dimension in the front half of the ground). Even if Papley were fit, I think Benny's still got his nose in front as a bigger and more battle hardened body.

Agree Papley is our small forward going forward but his disposal and decision making have room for improvement, as you'd expect. And whilst I love the fact he can sniff out a goal from three feet McGlynn is all over him at this stage IMO but if there's genuine competition there for sure. Not sure both will play in our best 22

Cheer_Cheer
31st May 2016, 10:28 PM
The Gopher still holds his place big time for me. His disposal has never been his strong point but he makes up for it in mongrel. I look forward to seeing the smile on his face when he holds up is medallion this year erasing the memory of 2012.. We wont mention that other year..

Auntie.Gerald
31st May 2016, 10:49 PM
they have a similar role paps and mcglynn therefore while rohan and heeney are in the forwards i think only room for 1 between paps and mcg

i say mcglynn for 2016

bloodsbigot
1st June 2016, 02:24 AM
My vote goes to Papley. Simply creates more opportunities and has a point to prove.

I doubt McGlynn has time to improve his wasteful goalkicking at this stage in his career. He's on the verge of retirement.

I think keeping him in the team is a detriment.

In saying this though, I'd back McGlynn to keep his cool more than Papley in a big game.

stellation
1st June 2016, 07:58 AM
Yeah, should be mandatory for a quick glance around before you kick.

Also, what's the point of the "move it on (1/2 second pause) play on" call by the umpires.
Why not just call play on?
The actual rule under those circumstances is to call play on when a player fails to dispose of the ball after being instructed by the umpire, so they do need to tell them to move it on. I believe the idea of a number of seconds is just the guidance around how long until that final instruction.

CureTheSane
1st June 2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah, you'd think they would allow maybe 2 seconds though.
These days it's really just a formality more than anything else.

Kind of like a "ready, set, go" for the man on the mark :)

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd June 2016, 02:10 AM
Benny gives us grunt and he kicks clutch goals, he's an underrated but very important part of our setup. If we make the big one he'll be one player that will not go MIA

...cough

S.S. Bleeder
2nd June 2016, 05:30 PM

"Will not go MIA?" He was one of our worst offenders in the 2014 GF. Missing out in 2012 should have made him the hungriest player on the ground.

aardvark
2nd June 2016, 05:49 PM
"Will not go MIA?" He was one of our worst offenders in the 2014 GF. Missing out in 2012 should have made him the hungriest player on the ground.

To be fair the whole team didn't turn up. I wish I hadn't! Still in the best 22 and ahead of Papley IMO.

Primmy
2nd June 2016, 06:41 PM
Its 2016.

that alone should be noted.

Benny is a gem. Keeper.

barry
2nd June 2016, 07:33 PM
"Will not go MIA?" He was one of our worst offenders in the 2014 GF.

Yup. MIA in big games is his main weakness.

Bloods05
2nd June 2016, 09:33 PM
Yup. MIA in big games is his main weakness.

Bedford.

wolftone57
2nd June 2016, 09:52 PM
To be fair the whole team didn't turn up. I wish I hadn't! Still in the best 22 and ahead of Papley IMO.

I didn't. I don't go to GF because it is too expensive. But i did watch it at a pub and sat through the whole excruciating exercise.

wolftone57
2nd June 2016, 09:59 PM
Benny has some ups;

1. his tenacity
2. Ability to pop up and kick an amazing goal out of nowhere
3. grunt in the packs
4. If playing forward his kicking to position is not too bad.

Against
1. Running in the mids or through the centre his decision making and delivery are @@@@

2. Tends to sometimes drift out of the game

3. If in the mids he does not accumulate enough ball. In the forwards he is fine but his midfield work these days is not great. I would suggest Heens & Jones are better bets.

4. goal kicking can be a bit wayward from set shots, really good on the run but from a set tut tut.

He is still a valuable member of the team but I think this is his last year, same with Teddy.

KTigers
2nd June 2016, 10:25 PM
That's a pretty good summation of Benny. I stood next to him in the line at one of the food stands at Drummoyne Oval for the NAB game and he doesn't look much, but out on the field I think he may kill someone one day in a tackle. That said there is a lot of competition for his spot in the team and he'll likely be gone at the end of the year.

Cheer_Cheer
2nd June 2016, 11:07 PM
I remember a few years ago him taking it up to Jonathon Brown.. Funny stuff. I like Benny but you would have to think his time is coming to an end. I too was very disappointed with his performance in that last game of 2014, especially considering 2012. I hope he finishes off this year in a big way and helps us through a big finals campaign..

dimelb
3rd June 2016, 09:20 AM
Bedford.

As in Wheels? I never saw him play, but MIA in big games? Really?

CureTheSane
9th July 2016, 01:31 AM
So it's been just over a month from the start of this thread.
Where do we all sit with Benny now?

And what is likely to happen at the end of the season?
Stay, trade, delist or retire?

bloodsbigot
9th July 2016, 08:45 AM
So it's been just over a month from the start of this thread.
Where do we all sit with Benny now?

And what is likely to happen at the end of the season?
Stay, trade, delist or retire?

Keep on a reduced salary.