PDA

View Full Version : Commentator rankings

neilfws
2nd June 2016, 02:40 PM
Thought this was good fun, if a bit harsh on Hally.

From BT to Dwayne Russell: the AFL commentary mid-season report card | Jonathan Horn | Sport | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/02/from-bt-to-dwayne-russell-the-afl-commentary-mid-season-report-card)

On Darcy: 'His specialties are the patently obvious and the word �massive�.'

On BT: 'Radio, after all, compels him to describe what�s actually happening. But on television, the head comes off and the turnip goes on.'

Triple B
2nd June 2016, 03:17 PM
I stopped reading when he had Eddie at #3...

CureTheSane
2nd June 2016, 04:27 PM
My least favorite person involved with footy at the moment (and for a while) is Luke Darcy.
He started following Eddie's opinions and has now progressed even further.
It always the one with criticism of the Swans and no credit where it's due.
Aside from that I rarely agree with much of what he says.

ScottH
3rd June 2016, 10:01 AM
Eddie actually said the swans were flag favourites at the moment, this week.
I was shocked, and there were no disparaging comments.

Plugger46
3rd June 2016, 05:09 PM
It'd be easier to mention the guys I rate. There aren't too many of them.

I can't stand Darcy and Ling. Complete sucks who state the bleeding obvious and are only critical when it's the popular view.

Eddie's a shocking caller. Nothing to do with my dislike for the man, he's just no good at it.

CureTheSane
4th June 2016, 12:38 AM
David King and Cameron Mooney grab my attention more than any others at the moment.
They're going for a, American Football type set up on Fox and it's kinda working...

RogueSwan
4th June 2016, 09:10 AM
My least favorite person involved with footy at the moment (and for a while) is Luke Darcy.
He started following Eddie's opinions and has now progressed even further.
It always the one with criticism of the Swans and no credit where it's due.
Aside from that I rarely agree with much of what he says.

100%
When he first retired and joined the media (what would be the collective noun for retired players in the media, a drop punt of commentators?) he was insightful and neutral on most topics. Now he has become quite cynical and will back what ever the popular topic in press is at the time with no actual consideration of the story.

Sandridge
4th June 2016, 01:00 PM
Eddie actually said the swans were flag favourites at the moment, this week.
I was shocked, and there were no disparaging comments.

Not from McGuire but his assertion that we were clearly Premiership favourites was followed up by his on-air partner Luke Darcy saying that we were "gettable" though - we can be beaten! So, if McGuire doesn't put us down, his mates do it for him!

Mug Punter
5th June 2016, 09:51 PM
Bruce @@@@s me beyond any other commentator by a long long way

dejavoodoo44
25th June 2016, 07:06 PM
Thought this was good fun, if a bit harsh on Hally.

From BT to Dwayne Russell: the AFL commentary mid-season report card | Jonathan Horn | Sport | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/02/from-bt-to-dwayne-russell-the-afl-commentary-mid-season-report-card)

On Darcy: 'His specialties are the patently obvious and the word �massive�.'

On BT: 'Radio, after all, compels him to describe what�s actually happening. But on television, the head comes off and the turnip goes on.'

Thought that article was often spot on. Glad that they had Cometti at the top of the tree. A legend of commentary, and personally, I think that he should get an Order of Australia for services to the language. And I also rate Hudson. Definitely not in the same league, but he is the best of the Fox crowd and he does seem to moderate the boofhead behaviour of those around him.
On the other hand, definitely agree with Taylor at the bottom. About as pleasant as a cockatoo being dragged down a blackboard.

jdrudd91
27th June 2016, 07:52 PM
Cometti>Hudson>>>>>>>daylight