PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd.13 V Melbourne.

aardvark
13th June 2016, 10:15 AM
Ins. Richards, Hewett, Nankervis.
Outs. Tippett, Rohan? and any of McGlynn, McVeigh, Laidler, Cunningham.

I wouldn't mind seeing Heeney contribute a bit more too.

waswan
13th June 2016, 10:40 AM
Nankervis or Naismith ? I thought Naismith had been doing more in the 2's ?
What is the word on Tippo ? it didn't sound good but he did walk on the ground without crutches at the end to shake hands ? 4 weeks ?

I think Rohan was precaution but with a bye coming up, you might as well sit him for 1 and get 2 off

longmile
13th June 2016, 10:44 AM
Ins: Richards, Hewett, Nankervis
Outs: Tippett, Rohan, Cunningham

This would have been a perfect time for Sam Reid to come back, very unfortunate.
I think Laidler has been fine, and in some periods very good this year. But yes Heeney has been a bit down lately with his midfield role and looks his best up forward, if Rohans injured this week there will be room for both Rose and Heeney in the forward line. McVeigh needs a serious shake up but it wont happen.
Also whats going with Parker? Hasn't been terrible just a bit down?

barry
13th June 2016, 10:45 AM
Sam reid would have been the perfect replacement for tippet, but alas...

Id say nankervis.
Towers for rohan.

No other change unless hewwett is availiable

ugg
13th June 2016, 10:56 AM
Nankervis or Naismith ? I thought Naismith had been doing more in the 2's ?
What is the word on Tippo ? it didn't sound good but he did walk on the ground without crutches at the end to shake hands ? 4 weeks ?

I think Rohan was precaution but with a bye coming up, you might as well sit him for 1 and get 2 off

Tippett's replacement will depend on how they see Sinclair's role now. If they think Sinclair can hold down the number 1 ruck with about 70-80% time in the ruck, similar to what Tippett has been doing then Nankervis would be the preferred candidate as he's been playing as a tall forward in the reserves although Naismith can also perform this role

However if they prefer Sinclair to keep his current role and want a number 1 ruck to replace Tippett then Naismith makes more sense given that's the role he's been playing in the reserves.

dejavoodoo44
13th June 2016, 11:08 AM
Tippett's replacement will depend on how they see Sinclair's role now. If they think Sinclair can hold down the number 1 ruck with about 70-80% time in the ruck, similar to what Tippett has been doing then Nankervis would be the preferred candidate as he's been playing as a tall forward in the reserves although Naismith can also perform this role

However if they prefer Sinclair to keep his current role and want a number 1 ruck to replace Tippett then Naismith makes more sense given that's the role he's been playing in the reserves.

Exactly what I was going to say in regards to Naismith or Nankervis.
In regards to how long for Tippett; they're saying up to six weeks, but that is prior to any scans. Since he was walking around, hopefully it's not too serious and he'll be back a fair bit sooner.

Cosmic Wizard
13th June 2016, 11:24 AM
Melbourne has one of the best rucks in the comp in Gawn.

But Nankervis has played a lot of games and is more experience than Naismith.

I would go with Nankervis, proven player over untried; especially with the logjam at the top of the table.

We lose more than one, and we could be really at the bottom of the eight.

barry
13th June 2016, 11:30 AM
We should choose a ruck combo that is long term not just for the dees game. Tippet could be out for 6 weeks.

longmile
13th June 2016, 11:34 AM
I like Nankervis as a big crash and bash style ruck man

liz
13th June 2016, 12:31 PM
I like Nankervis as a big crash and bash style ruck man

Naismith can do his fair share of bashing and crashing too. He's quicker than Nankervis, and taller. But probably doesn't have as natural (or as developed) football instincts.

It may simply come down to who is fitter. As Ugg reported in his reserves report, Nankervis was a withdrawal before the reserves game (and we don't know why), while Naismith spent the final quarter "resting" in the forward line. That might have been because he was seen as a more potent tall forward target down there than Galloway, once Reid went off injured. Or it might have been because he, himself, received a knock.

If he's fit enough, I'd like to see Naismith get the nod. Although very inexperienced, I think he's physically a better match up for Gawn. And there's certainly a lot to like about how he goes about his footy. The main question mark is whether he's had enough miles in his legs, given he's struggled to string much footy together since he's been on the list.

GongSwan
13th June 2016, 12:49 PM
Teddy comes back for Marsh, BJ in for Rohan, we need teh leg speed for those over the back kicks, and one of those rucks comes in, maybe even Dericx

chalbilto
13th June 2016, 01:17 PM
Ins:Richards, Towers, Hewett, Naismith
Out: Tippett, Rohan, McGlynn, & Parker to be managed/rested.

Parker is obviously carrying an injury for the past few weeks.

Ludwig
13th June 2016, 02:07 PM
Out: Tippett, Rohan, McGlynn, McVeigh, Cunningham
In: Naismith, Davis, Hewett, Aliir, Newman (elevated rookie)

Our defenders are doing well defensively, but we don't have any rebound and constantly just kick to a contest, which we often lose. Tired of seeing McVeigh and Laidler looking every which way with no one to kick to. The Giants and Bulldogs have open men everywhere, and options to kick or run the ball out. Bring in Aliir and Newman to give us more height and rebound, also allowing Rampe a bit more freedom to run with the ball. The loss of Rohan will hurt.

McVeigh unlikely to be dropped. He can take McGlynn's spot until Papley is fit. McGlynn and Cunningham both not doing enough to warrant a spot in the senior side. Hard to know what to do with Macca. Maybe he can pop up and kick a goal or 2, like we did with Jude toward the end of his career. I am frankly surprised how quickly McVeigh has dropped off. He's only 31. I thought his fitness would carry him through for another few years.

Towers will probably replace Rohan although reserves form doesn't seem to translate into senior form with Towers. Horse seems determined to make him a senior player after pumping him up all preseason.

I'd give the nod to Naismith over Nanka (if both are fit). It just seems the right time with a tall opposition ruckman. Sam is a good size matchup for Gawn and I think he's just a better all around player than Nanka.

Swanny40519
13th June 2016, 02:30 PM
Out: Tippett, Rohan, McGlynn, Cunningham

In: Naismith,Hewett, Richards, Towers

I think Parker needs a rest but Horse does not like many changes so he will probably play him again. But after the break we have three hard games in a row - Bulldogs, Cats and Hawks - se we need a fit Parker firing for them

aardvark
13th June 2016, 04:09 PM
Teddy comes back for Marsh

Marsh was one of the few winners we had on the night. He doesn't deserve to be dropped. Laidler was woeful.

goswannies
13th June 2016, 05:33 PM
Marsh was one of the few winners we had on the night. He doesn't deserve to be dropped. Laidler was woeful.
Laidler may have been ordinary yesterday, but he's been serviceable most of the season. Knee-jerk demotion is not necessary

The Big Cat
13th June 2016, 05:39 PM
Confirmed via Swans website: Tippett up to six weeks, Reid three weeks, Marsh 1 week hammy strain and Rohan all clear. Great night all round!

waswan
13th June 2016, 05:44 PM
Tippo for 6....TFFT

CureTheSane
13th June 2016, 05:45 PM
Not as bad as I feared for Tippo
Even better news for Rohan

Ludwig
13th June 2016, 05:47 PM
Confirmed via Swans website: Tippett up to six weeks, Reid three weeks, Marsh 1 week hammy strain and Rohan all clear. Great night all round!I feared it could have been worse. At least they should be back in August. The big problem is that we face the toughest part of our schedule after the bye with games against WB, Geelong and Hawthorn. So its not a good time to have key players out. It's time for Naismith to step up. With Marsh out, maybe Aliir can come in.

Melbourne are playing a great game v Collingwood. It will be a tough game next week.

CureTheSane
13th June 2016, 05:47 PM
I was pretty pissed after the game.
Been spoilt this year, being generally happy each week. Even the losses were ok, 10 pts, 1 pt
This week sucked, not just because of the crap we dished up, but more the collateral damage.
Found I was pretty short with family members for an hour or so after the game.
This news makes me feel a lot better.

Losing a game is one thing, but when 2 of your better players also go down, it's pretty disappointing...

ugg
13th June 2016, 06:14 PM
Tippett - hamstring tendon, "up to six weeks"
Marsh - hamstring, will miss against the Dees
Rohan - fitness test, expected to play
Reid - three weeks

longmile
13th June 2016, 06:33 PM
Good news indeed!
Would expect Teddy to come in for Marsh then

13th June 2016, 07:14 PM
Naismith for Tippett
Ted for Marsh (bad luck for him)
Foote/Hewett for McGlynn (just not doing enough)

Reid injury is a pisser
Papley has now missed a month

Mel_C
13th June 2016, 07:40 PM
6 weeks for Tippett is soooo much better than the 3-5 months I kept hearing!

Bad luck for Marsh.

The next month will show what we are made of.

Mug Punter
13th June 2016, 08:18 PM
Hewett for Rohan

Nankervis or Naismith for Tippett

Ted for Marsh

No need for any knee-jerk sackings at this stage but that could well change if we don't turn up next week which I fully expect us to.

It's a massive match for us next Sunday. We've had a good run with injuries and we now need the week off for sure but a final push next week before the break next week will see us enter the last 10 weeks in good form

MattW
13th June 2016, 08:21 PM
OUT: Tippett, Marsh, McGlynn
IN: Nankervis, Teddy, Hewett

Nankervis in depending on whether he's injured, obviously. Of the two options Ugg outlined, I'd prefer Sinclair to number 1 ruck and Nankervis the number 2 role. Agree Naismith a better body fit for Gawn, but it'd be harsh on Sinclair and Nankervis is dangerous forward.

Ben's lost a couple of yards, he has career-worst average disposals and his tackle average is down. He's following the game. Hewett in for Ben, but he's effectively being replaced by Rose.

Shame for Marsh, he's been composed. Nice kick.

Mug Punter
13th June 2016, 08:27 PM
OUT: Tippett, Marsh, McGlynn
IN: Nankervis, Teddy, Hewett

Nankervis in depending on whether he's injured, obviously. Of the two options Ugg outlined, I'd prefer Sinclair to number 1 ruck and Nankervis the number 2 role. Agree Naismith a better body fit for Gawn, but it'd be harsh on Sinclair and Nankervis is dangerous forward.

Ben's lost a couple of yards, he has career-worst average disposals and his tackle average is down. He's following the game. Hewett in for Ben, but he's effectively being replaced by Rose.

Shame for Marsh, he's been composed. Nice kick.

My understanding is that Rohan will miss a week, you'd have to think we'd be conservative with him given his injury history.

Marsh will be better for the run and he was not disgraced last night. He did quite well against a beast in Cameron that really he should not have been up against. Further evidence for me that we need a KPD and that we can't just "make do" next season.

longmile
13th June 2016, 08:38 PM
I'd rather see McGlynn keep his spot than Cunningham. While I prefer Papley over McGlynn in the long run, McGlynn has offered alot more in the last month of football than Cunningham.

MattW
13th June 2016, 09:01 PM
My understanding is that Rohan will miss a week, you'd have to think we'd be conservative with him given his injury history.

Marsh will be better for the run and he was not disgraced last night. He did quite well against a beast in Cameron that really he should not have been up against. Further evidence for me that we need a KPD and that we can't just "make do" next season.

Re Rohan, I was going from the Swans website (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-06-13/scans-confirm-tippett-injury): 'expected to play'. Bye the following week helps.

Bloody Hell
13th June 2016, 09:31 PM
Tippett - hamstring tendon, "up to six weeks"
Marsh - hamstring, will miss against the Dees
Rohan - fitness test, expected to play
Reid - three weeks
If you consider the physicallity of last weeks game, it's not suprising a few went down - particularly Tippett...he was huge last week.

aguy
14th June 2016, 10:12 PM
My changes for round 13

Out: Tippett Marsh Rohan
In: Naismith Richards Hewett

Also in fight in the contest and defensive pressure with tackles that actually stick.

Flying South
14th June 2016, 10:53 PM
Melbourne were very impressive against Collingwood. So they can't be taken lightly. However, with an eye towards the backend of the season I don't think we should be taking any chances with Richards or Rohan. Give them another 2 weeks. Perfect opportunity to get 4 or 5 games into Naismith. He's been building fitness and form in the ressies.

Naismith for Tippett
Davis for Marsh
Hewett for Rohan

I am at a cross roads with McVeigh and McGlynn. Both appear to be struggling and I wonder if the game has caught up with them. If Papley is fit, he should come in for McGlynn. But Macca wont get dropped with Geelong, Bulldogs and Hawthorn on the horizon.

Markus26
14th June 2016, 10:53 PM
My changes for round 13

Out: Tippett Marsh Rohan
In: Naismith Richards Hewett

Also in fight in the contest and defensive pressure with tackles that actually stick.

I like these changes but would like to see the Swans go one step further and drop McGlynn. I don't think he's offering enough at the moment. There might be more upside to someone like BJ. He hasn't had a crack this year.

Markus26
14th June 2016, 11:05 PM
Just read that Papley should be available. Maybe the extra run could be good. Go in with one ruckman instead of two?

graemed
15th June 2016, 01:35 AM
Just why does everyone think Marsh should be dropped?
He did very well on Cameron when they moved Rampe into the midfield.
I also worry about bringing Naismith in for Tippett although I'm sure that's what will happen. He just doesn't have enough grunt, and he's slow. I mean really slow. Gawn is not their only ruckman and Sinclair may be cooked after rucking against Mumford and Lobb for the whole second half.
I'd like to see Allir come in and do a Goodes role from a few years ago. He can jump at ruck contests but his real strength would be to let him roam. It's working for Port.
For me it would be Hewitt for Rohan, Allir for Tippett. Perhaps B Jack in for McGlynn but I doubt they'll drop him at least not yet.

liz
15th June 2016, 02:08 AM
Just why does everyone think Marsh should be dropped?
He did very well on Cameron when they moved Rampe into the midfield.
I also worry about bringing Naismith in for Tippett although I'm sure that's what will happen. He just doesn't have enough grunt, and he's slow. I mean really slow. Gawn is not their only ruckman and Sinclair may be cooked after rucking against Mumford and Lobb for the whole second half.
I'd like to see Allir come in and do a Goodes role from a few years ago. He can jump at ruck contests but his real strength would be to let him roam. It's working for Port.
For me it would be Hewitt for Rohan, Allir for Tippett. Perhaps B Jack in for McGlynn but I doubt they'll drop him at least not yet.

Marsh has injured his hamstring and has already been ruled out by the club.

Surprised by your observations on Naismith. He's still very inexperienced and he may not yet be fit enough. But for a young(ish) ruckman he has grunt enough, and he's reasonably quick for his height. Certainly quicker than Nankervis.

graemed
15th June 2016, 07:14 AM
Marsh has injured his hamstring and has already been ruled out by the club.

Surprised by your observations on Naismith. He's still very inexperienced and he may not yet be fit enough. But for a young(ish) ruckman he has grunt enough, and he's reasonably quick for his height. Certainly quicker than Nankervis.

Sorry Liz,

You're absolutely right, my mistake. Should have typed in Nankervis not Naismith. In respect of Naismith, I liked what I saw in reserves but I thought he could do with more time getting match fit.

Didn't realise Marsh was injured. In which case I would like to see Newman get his chance.

Still stand by my belief we need more mobility around the ground than either Sinclair or Nankervis can offer hence my theory on Allir.

RogueSwan
15th June 2016, 12:40 PM
Laidler may have been ordinary yesterday, but he's been serviceable most of the season. Knee-jerk demotion is not necessary

Agreed GS. Laidler has had a good season so far and wasn't the only one to have a @@@@ game last week. The way the ball was coming into the Giants F50 was difficult for a defender who is quite a bit shorter than his opposition.
With Tippett out we can hopefully see Sinclair step up with the responsibility of being the first ruck. It does seem to be the case for a number of big men that they play better when given more time and responsibility. It would have been the perfect time for Reid to come in for Tippett.:frown This is were it shows how much we have missed LRT and have never been able to replace him.

Ludwig
15th June 2016, 02:52 PM
I don't think Nanka is tall or agile enough to go with Max Gawn. This would be a game where if Tippo were fit I would bring in Naismith for Sinclair, but the footy gods seem to want to put Sam under the pump. So be it. He's nearly 24 and the 4th year on our list. He's playing well in the reserves. It's time to shine.

Richards wants to get straight back in the seniors and would seem a logical replacement for Marsh, but Ted has hardly played football this year. I think he should test himself out in the reserves for a couple of games. I would rather have Aliir come in for Marsh. At least Aliir has played a full season and is playing good consistent football in the reserves. He would probably get the matchup on Dawes.

I suppose Harry C will keep his spot in the side. He hasn't been doing much lately. I'd give him a tagging role on Ben Kennedy, who has been very damaging this year. If they can break even, I'd call it a win for us.

It sounds like Rohan will be okay to play. Maybe Hewett can come in for McGlynn. Papley would be handy, especially if conditions are wet.

longmile
15th June 2016, 03:32 PM
tmedia (http://www.sportsfan.com.au/ruck-injuries-show-fast-falls-kennelly/tabid/91/newsid/200507/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_ruckinjuri esshowfastfallskennelly_140616)

Old son of ours, Tadhg Kennelley seems to think Tippett's injury will put our season into free fall

barry
15th June 2016, 05:20 PM
Im in the camp that says ruckmen are replaceable.

As far as ruck duties go, I think sinclair can step up as no1 ruck, with support from nankervis. Only a minor loss.

However, its tippets around the ground marking that sets him above his replacements. But this can be overcome by the inclusion of Reid (when avaliable) and Ted.

The flag got a bit harder without Tippet, but we can still win it.

CureTheSane
15th June 2016, 07:00 PM
I agree with that.
We can replace a ruckman with less consequences than replacing Tippetts other work around the ground.
If our depth is tested, it is that work around the ground being tested rather than ruck duties.

Doctor
15th June 2016, 07:09 PM
What I think will happen:-

Out: Tippett, Marsh
In: Naismith, Hewett

Weather forecast is vile btw.

aardvark
15th June 2016, 08:05 PM
What I think will happen:-

Out: Tippett, Marsh
In: Naismith, Hewett

Weather forecast is vile btw.

I hate to say it but wouldn't we be better off with Towers as back up ruck than Nankervis if it's going to be a quagmire again?

Triple B
15th June 2016, 08:30 PM
I hate to say it but wouldn't we be better off with Towers as back up ruck than Nankervis if it's going to be a quagmire again?

Agree and it wouldn't be a shock to me at all...

The Big Cat
15th June 2016, 09:02 PM
On a different but encouraging note, The Age is reporting Mitchell will sign next week

Markus26
15th June 2016, 09:19 PM
On a different but encouraging note, The Age is reporting Mitchell will sign next week

That would be fantastic! TM is turning into a consistent gun. Would love to have him in the red and white for years to come.

Mug Punter
15th June 2016, 10:00 PM

I'd like to see that.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'd like to see that too. Do the deed Tom

caj23
16th June 2016, 09:35 AM

Yes definitely an option, although there is a trade off. Additional run vs what will probably be a lot of ball ups due to the conditions.

A shame Reid injured himself as I think they would have used him as 2nd ruck

Scottee
16th June 2016, 03:55 PM
I think its going to be harder to flood the backline without Swampy Marsh.

Doctor
16th June 2016, 05:02 PM
I think its going to be harder to flood the backline without Swampy Marsh.

I see what you did there! :-)

longmile
16th June 2016, 07:27 PM
IN
Aliir Aliir, George Hewett, Tyrone Leonardis, Sam Naismith, Toby Nankervis, Dean Towers

OUT
Harry Cunningham (Omitted), Harrison Marsh (Hamstring), Kurt Tippett (Hamstring)

longmile
16th June 2016, 07:35 PM
Brave but the right choice with Cunningham imo, he has looked sub-par this year

Also no Ted Richards, he must be getting a run in the reserves to get some match fitness

I'd imagine Aliir Aliir will come in with Hewett and one of Naismith and Nankervis
Leaning towards Naismith atm

dejavoodoo44
16th June 2016, 07:54 PM
Brave but the right choice with Cunningham imo, he has looked sub-par this year

Also no Ted Richards, he must be getting a run in the reserves to get some match fitness

I'd imagine Aliir Aliir will come in with Hewett and one of Naismith and Nankervis
Leaning towards Naismith atm
Yes, I think that I'd like to see how Naismith goes. Though I suspect that since they've also included Nankervis, then the selectors are still undecided as to who comes in for Tippett and what role Sinclair will play. Of course, there's another possibility, which is: Aliir in for Tippett and Towers in for Marsh. But I do hope that they don't go down that path.
In regards to Cunningham, I've always seen him as a role player, rather than a future star, and he often plays his role well. But last week, his role was probably to shut down some of the run of the GWS half backline. Since that didn't happen, it's off to the NEAFL this week.

Ludwig
16th June 2016, 08:11 PM
Yes, I think that I'd like to see how Naismith goes. Though I suspect that since they've also included Nankervis, then the selectors are still undecided as to who comes in for Tippett and what role Sinclair will play. Of course, there's another possibility, which is: Aliir in for Tippett and Towers in for Marsh. But I do hope that they don't go down that path.
In regards to Cunningham, I've always seen him as a role player, rather than a future star, and he often plays his role well. But last week, his role was probably to shut down some of the run of the GWS half backline. Since that didn't happen, it's off to the NEAFL this week.Naismith seems the logical choice as he's the better physical matchup for Max Gawn, who will be too tall for both Nanka and Sinclair and too agile for Nanka. Naismith would do most of the ruck work and Sinclair would do his usual job at forward and relief ruckman.

I've also been disappointed with Cunningham's season. He's quick and has good skills. His tackling has improved this year. But I can't understand why he's not getting more of the ball. I think one of Cunningham, McGlynn or McVeigh needed to get dropped and Harry is easiest one to make the call on. With wet conditions forecast, it's better to go with the more experienced players.

I'm hoping Hewett, Naismith and Aliir are the ones that play.

Hewett missed 2 games this year and we lost them both.

dejavoodoo44
16th June 2016, 08:23 PM
Naismith seems the logical choice as he's the better physical matchup for Max Gawn, who will be too tall for both Nanka and Sinclair and too agile for Nanka. Naismith would do most of the ruck work and Sinclair would do his usual job at forward and relief ruckman.

I've also been disappointed with Cunningham's season. He's quick and has good skills. His tackling has improved this year. But I can't understand why he's not getting more of the ball. I think one of Cunningham, McGlynn or McVeigh needed to get dropped and Harry is easiest one to make the call on. With wet conditions forecast, it's better to go with the more experienced players.

Yes, Hewett, Naismith and Aliir seem the logical choices, but I've been foiled by logic before.

16th June 2016, 08:35 PM
So all you guys are cutting Lloyd from the bench then?

Hewett will definitely start given his very good games so far, Lloyd won't be dropped so the only mystery remaining is Naismith or Naka for the second ruck duties.

Not surprised Cunningham given the chop, only wanting to make one voluntary change has saved McGlylnn who must be close to being dropped as well I'd reckon.

longmile
16th June 2016, 08:54 PM
Not surprised Cunningham given the chop, only wanting to make one voluntary change has saved McGlylnn who must be close to being dropped as well I'd reckon.

Probably waiting for Papley to return to match fitness

dejavoodoo44
16th June 2016, 08:54 PM
So all you guys are cutting Lloyd from the bench then?

Hewett will definitely start given his very good games so far, Lloyd won't be dropped so the only mystery remaining is Naismith or Naka for the second ruck duties.

Umm, no. In our scenario, the bench is Lloyd, Aliir, Hewett and Naismith. While the ones being removed from the provisional seven man bench are Towers, Nankervis and Leonardis.

Nico
16th June 2016, 09:07 PM
Naismith seems the logical choice as he's the better physical matchup for Max Gawn, who will be too tall for both Nanka and Sinclair and too agile for Nanka. Naismith would do most of the ruck work and Sinclair would do his usual job at forward and relief ruckman.

You can only play bruise free footy and get away with it for so long. McGlynn kept his place because he is infinitely more hard at it than Cunningham. Hewitt is a certainty to play and I reckon Leonardis will play.

56-14
16th June 2016, 09:13 PM
I didn't have TV access to Giants game - so it's hard to comment on selections.
One point though - was Cunningham's role to stop Shaw's run? If so, he should be dropped. If not, who was? (Finding it hard to accept that players like Heath Shaw & Stevie J. had such an impact against us!)

Nico
16th June 2016, 09:26 PM
I didn't have TV access to Giants game - so it's hard to comment on selections.
One point though - was Cunningham's role to stop Shaw's run? If so, he should be dropped. If not, who was? (Finding it hard to accept that players like Heath Shaw & Stevie J. had such an impact against us!)

The game has become so even and competitive that you can't afford to play someone who isn't prepared to put his body on the line. He is a timid footballer. If Cunningham is a run with/stopping player then he still has to win footy of his own. If his opponent is taking him the game constantly, then he should get more of his own footy. No point being second to the ball and tackling if that is all you can do. He had 7 stats in the first half, none in the 3rd quarter and 4 in the last quarter, 3 of which were turnovers.

Mug Punter
16th June 2016, 09:27 PM
IN
Aliir Aliir, George Hewett, Tyrone Leonardis, Sam Naismith, Toby Nankervis, Dean Towers

OUT
Harry Cunningham (Omitted), Harrison Marsh (Hamstring), Kurt Tippett (Hamstring)

I can see the three in as being Hewett, Naismith and Towers with Towers shadowing Gawn the entire day and being the third man up all day, his vertical leap is a great strength

Nico
16th June 2016, 09:34 PM
I can see the three in as being Hewett, Naismith and Towers with Towers shadowing Gawn the entire day and being the third man up all day, his vertical leap is a great strength

Can't be third man up a centre bounces.

Scottee
16th June 2016, 09:35 PM
Interesting point re Towers Mug. May well be right there.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

RogueSwan
16th June 2016, 09:37 PM
Can't be third man up a centre bounces.
Joey (or even Buddy) to "ruck" with Parker, Hanners and Mitchell at the drop?

ugg
16th June 2016, 09:44 PM
Towers is 19cm shorter than Gawn. He better have one hell of a vertical leap

Nico
16th June 2016, 10:06 PM
Towers is 19cm shorter than Gawn. He better have one hell of a vertical leap

He can't run with Gawn and be second up all game. Will be buggered by quarter time.

Mug Punter
16th June 2016, 10:16 PM
He can't run with Gawn and be second up all game. Will be buggered by quarter time.

Perhaps, let's see how it pans out

Ludwig
16th June 2016, 10:17 PM
Towers is 19cm shorter than Gawn. He better have one hell of a vertical leap And the conditions might hamper his jumping ability as well.

http://www.quicksandvisuals.com/images/mpviqs01samples32.jpg

Mug Punter
16th June 2016, 10:42 PM
I reckon Buddy could well be primed for a big haul weather permitting

Industrial Fan
16th June 2016, 11:42 PM
Marsh Robinson and Talia all pretty unlucky with injury this year. First two in particular as they'd both started to look comfortable.

bloodspirit
17th June 2016, 01:10 AM
Marsh Robinson and Talia all pretty unlucky with injury this year. First two in particular as they'd both started to look comfortable.

They've each experienced more than their fair share of misfortune before; they'll come back. Hopefully stronger.

liz
17th June 2016, 01:35 AM
They've each experienced more than their fair share of misfortune before; they'll come back. Hopefully stronger.

Yeah, and if they start feeling sorry for themselves (which I am sure they won't), they can just go and have a chat with AJ or Gary.

17th June 2016, 09:32 AM
Wet, injuries, danger game

Industrial Fan
17th June 2016, 10:16 AM
For Marsh and Robinson though they were seemingly near the precipice of not making the grade, had both put in some solid games then out. Never know what is around the next corner in footy - goes both ways a la Ted Richards - but just a shame they couldnt put more games together to show their worth.

longmile
17th June 2016, 10:52 AM
Gonna be a real wet weekend, could elect to go with the one ruckman and bringing in a smaller player?
Dont know what big maxy gawn is like in the wet

ugg
17th June 2016, 10:57 AM
In: Hewett, Nankervis, Towers
Out: Cunningham, Marsh, Tippett

Xie Shan
17th June 2016, 02:05 PM
The game has become so even and competitive that you can't afford to play someone who isn't prepared to put his body on the line. He is a timid footballer. If Cunningham is a run with/stopping player then he still has to win footy of his own. If his opponent is taking him the game constantly, then he should get more of his own footy. No point being second to the ball and tackling if that is all you can do. He had 7 stats in the first half, none in the 3rd quarter and 4 in the last quarter, 3 of which were turnovers.

I think Cunningham is capable of doing what you have described (winning more of his own ball and putting his body on the line), but he seems to be down on confidence at the moment. I didn't think Horse would drop him but maybe sending him back to the NEAFL isn't a bad idea.

MadCanuck
17th June 2016, 02:15 PM
I think Cunningham is capable of doing what you have described (winning more of his own ball and putting his body on the line), but he seems to be down on confidence at the moment. I didn't think Horse would drop him but maybe sending him back to the NEAFL isn't a bad idea.

Late mail -

OUT: Laidler
IN: Cunningham

ugg
17th June 2016, 02:25 PM
Actually Cunningham into the 25. You would think Aliir is the logical replacement for Laidler who had been playing on tall forwards.

Flying South
17th June 2016, 02:29 PM
With Laidler now out surely Aliir comes in. I'd also like to see Leonardis given a run off half back/ wing.

Outs: Tippett, Cunningham, Laidler, Marsh
Ins: Naismith, Hewett, Aliir, Leonardis

Industrial Fan
17th June 2016, 02:29 PM
Laidler out is a big loss especially in the wet.

Ludwig
17th June 2016, 02:33 PM
Actually Cunningham into the 25. You would think Aliir is the logical replacement for Laidler who had been playing on tall forwards. With the number of talls out of the side we may be lucky with the weather conditions this week. I don't think Harry will play. His mother doesn't like him going outdoors when it's raining. After visiting all those sick kids in hospital this week, wouldn't it be ironic if Harry caught cold and ended up in hospital himself.

liz
17th June 2016, 02:39 PM
With Laidler now out surely Aliir comes in. I'd also like to see Leonardis given a run off half back/ wing.

Outs: Tippett, Cunningham, Laidler, Marsh
Ins: Naismith, Hewett, Aliir, Leonardis

From what I've seen of Leonardis, he doesn't look ready for senior footy yet. He has some nice attributes that suggest he could become a senior player in time. But he drifts in and out of games, the defensive side of his game needs work, and I wonder if his fitness is at the necessary level. I realise he's been named as an emergency, but I would have thought there are other players better equipped at the moment.

aardvark
17th June 2016, 02:55 PM
If he plays i'd expect a blinder from Harry. It might be just the scare he needs.

Ludwig
17th June 2016, 02:56 PM
From what I've seen of Leonardis, he doesn't look ready for senior footy yet. He has some nice attributes that suggest he could become a senior player in time. But he drifts in and out of games, the defensive side of his game needs work, and I wonder if his fitness is at the necessary level. I realise he's been named as an emergency, but I would have thought there are other players better equipped at the moment. Using the NEAFL squad as a guide would indicate that the inclusions will be 4 of Hewett, Aliir, Nanka, Towers and Leonardis for Tippett, Laidler, Cunningham and Marsh.

I agree that Leo doesn't look quite ready for senior footy, but is the kind of player that could cause problems in wet conditions (hopefully not for us). He's pesky and pesty as well. I can see him fitting into the Bulldogs game plan.

Scottee
17th June 2016, 02:58 PM
With Laidler out things are getting scary down back. How is Aliir in wet conditions? Can he lock down a third tall? Would X have been the better choice?

Also, with Tippett now out for 8 weeks after surgery we have the right to put him on the LTIL. Would O'Riordon or Newman be options under that scenario?

Sandrevan
17th June 2016, 03:03 PM
Tippet out - a ruckman in Nanka or Naismith
Marsh out - a defender in - Aliir
Cunningham dropped - a mid to come in - Hewett
The 4th interchange - Lloyd

Thus the bench becomes
Nankervis
Aliir
Hewett
Lloyd

So now Laidler is out - who comes in as a defender; chances are it's Leonardis

longmile
17th June 2016, 03:10 PM
Starting to scream Danger game to me

liz
17th June 2016, 03:15 PM
Also, with Tippett now out for 8 weeks after surgery we have the right to put him on the LTIL. Would O'Riordon or Newman be options under that scenario?

O'Riordan - no, not yet (though he does seem to relish playing in the wet). Next season, look out. He might come with a bang.

Newman certainly looks close to ready to being tested at the next level. Foote looks like he might be able to make the step up. Both of them are hampered by their rookie status. I can't see them putting Tippett on the LTIL. It will be too important to get him back playing as soon as he's ready. Once you put someone on the LTIL, they can't play at any level for at least 8 weeks. Why risk him being ready slightly sooner than expected but then not being able to play.

I do think there is still one spot available though. I lose track, but I think Robinson was placed on the LTIL, which means there are currently three on that list. Marsh and Papley have taken two of those spots.

Davis and Jack are two others that I would have expected to come up for consideration ahead of Leonardis. Davis, in particular, might be able to play a Laidler type role. Jack has a better developed game than Leonardis in almost every aspect (fitness, defensive pressure, probably speed - though there'd not be much in it) except his kicking (and especially his composure when about to kick).

Ludwig
17th June 2016, 03:30 PM
O'Riordan - no, not yet (though he does seem to relish playing in the wet). Next season, look out. He might come with a bang.

Newman certainly looks close to ready to being tested at the next level. Foote looks like he might be able to make the step up. Both of them are hampered by their rookie status. I can't see them putting Tippett on the LTIL. It will be too important to get him back playing as soon as he's ready. Once you put someone on the LTIL, they can't play at any level for at least 8 weeks. Why risk him being ready slightly sooner than expected but then not being able to play.

I do think there is still one spot available though. I lose track, but I think Robinson was placed on the LTIL, which means there are currently three on that list. Marsh and Papley have taken two of those spots.

Davis and Jack are two others that I would have expected to come up for consideration ahead of Leonardis. Davis, in particular, might be able to play a Laidler type role. Jack has a better developed game than Leonardis in almost every aspect (fitness, defensive pressure, probably speed - though there'd not be much in it) except his kicking (and especially his composure when about to kick).I think you are correct on all points.

As for Tippett's injury, this short article will give some idea why surgery was the chosen option in the end. The average recovery was 7 weeks with surgery, the best of all the outcomes. Distal Semitendinosus Ruptures in Elite-Level Athletes (http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/38/6/1174.short)

CureTheSane
17th June 2016, 03:47 PM
Cunningham in, Laidler out...

Laidler to miss Melbourne clash - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-06-17/laidler-to-miss-melbourne-clash)

ugg
17th June 2016, 06:00 PM
Final R13 teams named
Syd Swans v Melbourne
Interchange; Hewett, Lloyd, Nankervis, Towers.
Emergencies; Cunningham, Leonardis, Naismith.

Melbourne v Sydney Swans
Interchange; Trengove, Oliver, Hunt, Kennedy.
Emergencies; Michie, Grimes, Harmes.
Unchanged

longmile
17th June 2016, 06:29 PM
Brandon Jack has barely rated a mention all year, even as an emergency even though hes been in good form in the NEAFL.
I know his disposal has been a bit iffy but he has looked really good.

troyjones2525
17th June 2016, 06:31 PM
No surprise with the Swans going the predicted options in Nankervis and Towers when i guess most supporters wanted to see Naismith and Leonardis given a run...Although it will be great to see Aliir given another chance! Even though the conditions aren't going to be really suited to a big man.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dejavoodoo44
17th June 2016, 06:39 PM
Towers!? Again!? I'm beginning to think that he may be the owner of some incriminating photos.

Untamed Snark
17th June 2016, 06:45 PM
Another rainy slog for Aliir?
Poor guy

chalbilto
17th June 2016, 06:56 PM
Hope he and the rest of the team bring their long stops.

Melbourne_Blood
17th June 2016, 07:19 PM
Have we played in any dry weather in Sydney this year ? Might need to get a roof on the SCG

ugg
17th June 2016, 07:33 PM
Isn't the Eagles game the only wet one ?

giant
17th June 2016, 08:05 PM
Brandon Jack has barely rated a mention all year, even as an emergency even though hes been in good form in the NEAFL.
I know his disposal has been a bit iffy but he has looked really good.

A reasonable question.

Flying South
17th June 2016, 08:17 PM
Towers!? Again!? I'm beginning to think that he may be the owner of some incriminating photos.
Really pissed with Towers selection. We've seen what he's got before. And before that. And it aint good enough. Lets move on. If he's our next in line then we have serious depth issues. Similar with Nank. Too slow. Gawn is such a mobile and fit ruckman. Often running off his man into the forward line. Nank won't be able to go with him when he's called on to fill in at ruck.

Melbourne_Blood
17th June 2016, 08:34 PM
Isn't the Eagles game the only wet one ?

Probably

Ludwig
17th June 2016, 08:35 PM
Really pissed with Towers selection. We've seen what he's got before. And before that. And it aint good enough. Lets move on. If he's our next in line then we have serious depth issues. Similar with Nank. Too slow. Gawn is such a mobile and fit ruckman. Often running off his man into the forward line. Nank won't be able to go with him when he's called on to fill in at ruck.Longmire commented on the selection video that there was a fitness issue with Naismith, which was at least in part the reason for going with Nanka. Gawn's height advantage and running ability may not make that much difference in the wet conditions. Nanka also had the week off and Towers only played a half game last week, so they should be fresh.

dejavoodoo44
17th June 2016, 08:36 PM
Really pissed with Towers selection. We've seen what he's got before. And before that. And it aint good enough. Lets move on. If he's our next in line then we have serious depth issues. Similar with Nank. Too slow. Gawn is such a mobile and fit ruckman. Often running off his man into the forward line. Nank won't be able to go with him when he's called on to fill in at ruck.

Yeah, to me, he often looks a bit too much like a rabbit in the headlights. But hey, apparently he's been impressing the coaching staff with his positive attitude at training.

Mug Punter
17th June 2016, 09:32 PM
I don't think Naismith is ready yet and Nanka won't let us down. Surely we don't think Leonardis is ready yet, he's nowhere near it from the ressies games I've seen and this is not a game to be giving games away.

Time for Towers to stand up, his career with us is on the line and I also think he has some trade value that we will use at season end. I'm a Towers fan but even I'm starting to accept that he needs a new club next year, and I'm sure he has shown enough and has the personal qualities to be given a genuine second chance.

17th June 2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah, to me, he often looks a bit too much like a rabbit in the headlights. But hey, apparently he's been impressing the coaching staff with his positive attitude at training.
Can you get four points at training? Don't think so but you can get four points if you look to your right and kick the ball to Buddy!

This is a side well off our best 22, Towers, Nanka, Rose, Aliir are not what you'd call best 22 but they have the opportunity tomorrow to show me otherwise. Danger game.

Mug Punter
17th June 2016, 10:17 PM
Can you get four points at training? Don't think so but you can get four points if you look to your right and kick the ball to Buddy!

This is a side well off our best 22, Towers, Nanka, Rose, Aliir are not what you'd call best 22 but they have the opportunity tomorrow to show me otherwise. Danger game.

It is a danger game but it's one we should be able to win with the side we have picked if we are genuine contenders. And I expect our mids to rip in tomorrow and redeem themselves, it's not often they get their colours lowered like that.

Injuries are never nice but I'm actually really enjoying the fact that young guys are getting an opportunity this year and I reckon AA will be a lot better for the run and Rose looks a lot better player than last year, I read an article where he was told he had to raise his defensive efforts to get another senior game. Last years games were a gift to Rose but he's earned them this year. I'd still like to see Abe Davis get a run at some stage this year and I'd like to see Naismith get another run even though I agree with Nanka for Sunday

Velour&Ruffles
18th June 2016, 02:08 AM

Gawn has had three more years in the system and has built up to his current state very gradually. Until half way through last year he looked like a prehistoric dud. He's come good in the past 12 months. If you want to make a valid comparison between Nankervis and Gawn give us the benefit of your wisdom in 2019.

YvonneH
18th June 2016, 12:10 PM
Another change could be to the crowd numbers.
Way to go STA.

NO trains between Macarthur and East Hills. Option is Liverpool. But there is no parking there. But wait there is more!!!
NO trains between Campbelltown and Fairfield.
NO trains between Leppington and Liverpool.

It will be up to the fans closer to the city and those on the other side of Sydney to fly the banner for us 'Westies'.
You know you can do it.

Auntie.Gerald
19th June 2016, 09:14 AM
I really have enjoyed watching the Demons lift this season

They are a serious team on the rise

I am fascinated to see how we respond today

We have achieved above my expectations this season and this is a real danger game and depth will be seriously tested today

Quite frankly we are lucky it will be a mud bath to suit our style of play

Auntie.Gerald
19th June 2016, 02:36 PM
Sea towers

Never stop believing in urself and others may start believing in u too :)