PDA

View Full Version : Changes for round 15 (originally rnd14)

aguy
19th June 2016, 11:01 PM
Normally I don't agree with resting players but I think after a terrific win against the Demons we can afford to rest everyone next week ????

Beerman
20th June 2016, 08:59 AM
Normally I don't agree with resting players but I think after a terrific win against the Demons we can afford to rest everyone next week [emoji6]

Quite a few sore bodies need it. Hannebery was clutching his ribs in a very worrying way.

Melbourne_Blood
20th June 2016, 10:41 AM
Quite a few sore bodies need it. Hannebery was clutching his ribs in a very worrying way.

I think that was played up a bit by Hanners, he was holding it right before he sprang to life to sprint past for the handball receive. Sucked them in good.

RogueSwan
20th June 2016, 11:06 AM
I think that was played up a bit by Hanners, he was holding it right before he sprang to life to sprint past for the handball receive. Sucked them in good.

Yeah, I was thinking "gees, Hanners looks pretty sore, I hope he is .... nope, he is just fine: rofl .

ScottH
20th June 2016, 11:41 AM
Hanners was down a few times.
But that one you mention above I reckon he was foxing.
Sly devil!!

Plugger46
20th June 2016, 11:57 AM
Hanners is always down. Even the players take the piss out of him for it. One day he'll actually be hurt!

Doctor
20th June 2016, 11:58 AM
Who's due back after the bye apart from Ted? Papley played in the Ressies yesterday I note.

dejavoodoo44
20th June 2016, 12:11 PM
Who's due back after the bye apart from Ted? Papley played in the Ressies yesterday I note.

I'm guessing Laidler and Marsh.

longmile
20th June 2016, 12:21 PM
Might be a big shakeup for our backline with 3 to come back in. Dogs have an unconventional forward line and can be hard to match up on.
Might be best with Ted out for another week and bring him in against the Cats?

barry
20th June 2016, 12:50 PM
When is talia due back ?

Untamed Snark
20th June 2016, 01:14 PM
When is talia due back ?

Swans site says 5 weeks (updated 14/6/16)

swansrob
20th June 2016, 02:41 PM
With four possible returns (inc Laidler and Marsh as pointed out by dejavoodoo44), whoever misses against the Dogs from yesterday's team will be stiff. No one deserves to be dropped based on their game yesterday

Doctor
28th June 2016, 10:46 AM
Probably time to bump this thread. I read that there could be up to five returning players. I just recalled that this isn't the first time in recent years that we've played the Dogs on election day either. I think it was the election before last actually.

swansrob
28th June 2016, 11:31 AM
Probably time to bump this thread. I read that there could be up to five returning players. I just recalled that this isn't the first time in recent years that we've played the Dogs on election day either. I think it was the election before last actually.
I just checked, and you're right (Rd21, 2010) and we walloped them too.

ScottH
28th June 2016, 02:27 PM
Ins:
Ted
Pap
Harry C
Laidler
Harry M

Outs??:
Aliir
Toby
Rose
Towers??
Rohan??

It's going to be a tough selection meeting.

Although I'd probably keep Gaz over Harry C

Swansongster
28th June 2016, 02:29 PM

Maybe we can tack on a Mexit referendum? Does Mitchell stay or exit the Swans?

aardvark
28th June 2016, 03:51 PM
Ins:
Ted
Pap
Harry C
Laidler
Harry M

Outs??:
Aliir
Toby
Rose
Towers??
Rohan??

I'd rather keep all the outs over the ins I think.

CureTheSane
28th June 2016, 04:30 PM
In: Papley, Laidler, Richards
Out: Aliir, Towers, Nankervis

ugg
28th June 2016, 05:19 PM
In: Papley, Laidler, Richards
Out: Aliir, Towers, Nankervis
Papley to replace Nankervis in the ruck?

ugg
28th June 2016, 05:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Richards trained well with main group, Laidler on light duties, both a chance to face Dogs. Longmire said Papley to play NEAFL again <a href="https://twitter.com/AFL">@AFL</a></p>&mdash; Adam Curley (@AdamCurleyMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamCurleyMedia/status/747666720802865152">June 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Richards &amp; Laidler should both play if fit, Richards &amp; Grundy to switch on talls, Rampe to Stringer, Laidler floater. Aliir to miss out</p>&mdash; Adam Curley (@AdamCurleyMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamCurleyMedia/status/747667783664689152">June 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jono2707
28th June 2016, 05:48 PM
I think Towers deserves to retain his spot? We need his pace against the Dogs.

dimelb
28th June 2016, 06:00 PM

I agree. We need to keep playing him in the forward role for a proper assessment.

Rob
28th June 2016, 07:43 PM

No way does Towers deserve to be dropped after a near BOG against the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueSwan
28th June 2016, 10:47 PM
The Dogs have everyone believing they are a quick team when I see them as a contested ball winning team that like to play on. Shut down their inside game and they are the same pace as everyone else, bar the Giants.
That being said, I definitely want to see Towers given another chance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RogueSwan
28th June 2016, 11:01 PM
I thought we were always list after a bye but the last five years we have a 2-3 record. Not a good record though.
2015 (H) loss to Tiggers after six wins
2014 (H) defeated cats by 110!
2013 (A) loss to Power after three wins
2012 (H) beat Cats by six
2011 (H) lost to the Blues by 16

Doctor
28th June 2016, 11:26 PM
I just checked, and you're right (Rd21, 2010) and we walloped them too.

Sweet! Hopefully that's a good omen. It's harder to go with "off the bye" form when both teams are coming off it (which is as it should be - six teams get a bye, they should play each other the following week. I may be on to something here!).

Flying South
29th June 2016, 12:59 AM
I agree. We need to keep playing him in the forward role for a proper assessment.
I just don't see how we can fit Buddy, Sinclair, Heeney, Papley, Rohan, Towers and Rose into our forward line. Two would need to come out. The 1st three are givens, we need a small crumber and Garrys best position is forward (re: Hawthorn). IMO that leaves Towers and Rose omitted.

Triple B
29th June 2016, 08:48 AM
I thought we were always list after a bye but the last five years we have a 2-3 record. Not a good record though.

I think the perception that we are poor after a bye was due to always playing Collingwood through the 2000's around the bye period at ANZ and getting towelled year after year, or so it seemed...

RogueSwan
29th June 2016, 09:40 AM
I think the perception that we are poor after a bye was due to always playing Collingwood through the 2000's around the bye period at ANZ and getting towelled year after year, or so it seemed...

yeah, that's right, I had forgotten about those awful games.

dimelb
29th June 2016, 11:24 AM
I just don't see how we can fit Buddy, Sinclair, Heeney, Papley, Rohan, Towers and Rose into our forward line. Two would need to come out. The 1st three are givens, we need a small crumber and Garrys best position is forward (re: Hawthorn). IMO that leaves Towers and Rose omitted.

If we can't fit Towers into the forward setup I don't see how we can keep him, although if we include players from the bench there might be room. Another consideration is that Heeney and, in my opinion Rose, could both play in the midfield with a bit of exposure there.

ScottH
29th June 2016, 11:26 AM
we are going to need as much pace as we can fit in against the dogs.

Triple B
29th June 2016, 11:47 AM
yeah, that's right, I had forgotten about those awful games.

That's a good strategy, my apologies for mentioning them... :smile:

swansrob
29th June 2016, 02:19 PM

As long as we always play Geelong after the bye, we'll be sweet

barry
29th June 2016, 02:36 PM

Heeney will end up in the midfield. That leaves towers, papely and rose fighting for 2 spots. Seems ok by me.

29th June 2016, 03:44 PM
we are going to need as much pace as we can fit in against the dogs.

the Dogs key strength are the no's they get around the ball and the speed at which they move it - not necessarily leg speed

Ludwig
29th June 2016, 03:59 PM
the Dogs key strength are the no's they get around the ball and the speed at which they move it - not necessarily leg speed Yes. I think this is right.

They are also very good a switching play from one side of the ground to the other and aren't afraid the kick the ball backwards if one wing is blocked off. Forward pressure is important and trying to prevent them from doing that easily. Probably the reason this happens is that teams are dropping players back to counter their torrid attack on the ball and forward movement, leaving open a few Bulldog players behind the ball and the the fat side of the field, allowing them to switch play.

It should be an interesting contest as the key is simply winning the contested footy with equal numbers at the contest and both teams back themselves on their ability to do this.

rojo
29th June 2016, 05:00 PM
I hope Towers gets a game on Saturday to see if he can back up his very good performance v Melbourne. If he can continue that form Harry C. is the one who faces a challenge.

Papley may have to bide his time in the NEAFL when Benny McGlynn is in the team.

Rose needs a few more games to show us what he has to offer long term but would be behind Heeney and Hewett when looking at possible mid/forward rotations.

At least Laidler looks like a definite inclusion and surely Sinclair needs a back-up ruckman so Nankervis should get another run. I would include Hewett and Towers in the 20 with Rose and one of either Harry C., Aliir or '?', depending on match-ups.

29th June 2016, 06:03 PM
Towers after his last game is a lock. Papley was on managed minutes in the NEAFL before the bye so will need to play one NEAFL game full minutes before he is considered.

Only changes this week will be Laidler and Ted if fit although wouldn't be surprised to see Ted given a NEAFL run before returning to seniors. Thinking Aliir with his athleticism might be useful against the Dogs, wonder how he would go on a dry track?

ScottH
30th June 2016, 03:15 PM
No Boyd
AFL: Western Bulldogs suspended Tom Boyd over alcohol-fuelled fight (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-western-bulldogs-suspended-tom-boyd-over-alcoholfuelled-altercation-20160630-gpvcx6.html)

liz
30th June 2016, 03:35 PM
No Boyd
AFL: Western Bulldogs suspended Tom Boyd over alcohol-fuelled fight (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-western-bulldogs-suspended-tom-boyd-over-alcoholfuelled-altercation-20160630-gpvcx6.html)

Shame. I'd fancy our chances more with Boyd making their forward line tall, immobile and unbalanced.

Plugger46
30th June 2016, 04:40 PM
Yes, I also hoped Boyd would play.

goswannies
30th June 2016, 06:47 PM
Yes, I also hoped Boyd would play.

Not buoyed by the Boyd news then?

ugg
30th June 2016, 07:23 PM
Syd Swans v WBulldogs
Laidler for Aliir.
Minson, Wood, Smith, Johannisen, Webb for Campbell, Roberts, Honeychurch, Williams, Dunkley.

ugg
30th June 2016, 07:25 PM
Emg Cunningham Davis Naismith
Emg Roberts Dunkley Honeychurch

30th June 2016, 07:39 PM
Umpires not good, Hawks number 1 ticket holder Stevic and I reckon from memory we've been stiffed by Schmidt in the past.

So bad umpires against a team of spring loaded heads is not good. Bracing myself!

Ludwig
30th June 2016, 07:55 PM
Umpires not good, Hawks number 1 ticket holder Stevic and I reckon from memory we've been stiffed by Schmidt in the past.

So bad umpires against a team of spring loaded heads is not good. Bracing myself! Will look forward to your post game presser

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.afl.com.au%2Fstat icfile%2FAFL%2520Tenant%2FMedia%2FVideos%2FThumbna ils%2F466552_thumb.jpg&hash=231e15737c0c9ca397b17edcb22096db

MadCanuck
30th June 2016, 07:58 PM
Stevic AND Schmidt. I'll bring earplugs. The whistles will be blowing all night.

dejavoodoo44
30th June 2016, 08:06 PM

So bad umpires against a team of spring loaded heads is not good. Bracing myself!
Ugghhh! Stevic and Schmitt together! Yes, 707, Schmitt is one of those umpires, that only seem to have the capacity to apply the rules to one side. In both the Giants game and the Lions game, he was only umpiring us. Though if you want to look on the bright side, he is due to umpire our opponents.
In regards to the team, it is good to see Laidler back, but Aliir was slightly unlucky to be dropped after playing well against the Demons. Also just a little bit concerned about Ted not being in the side and I'm starting to wonder if he has some long term damage from the multiple concussions?

ugg
30th June 2016, 08:15 PM
Ted is playing NEAFL as is Papley

Auntie.Gerald
30th June 2016, 08:22 PM
Shame no josh Dunkley
Was keen to finally watching him play
Has anyone seen josh play this season ?

Doctor
1st July 2016, 12:36 AM

Yes Schmitt smashed us against the Giants just a couple of weeks back. Stevic should be ok (I think) as we aren't playing Hawthorn, The worry is that the Dogs have been the umpires darlings all year. Part of that is because they are hungry for the footy and get there first, which makes them more entitled to win a free, but that's not all of it. I hope that Schmitt copped a private baking for the way he umpired us l;ast time and is fairer this time. Who's the third umpire? If it's Parnell we're gone already.