PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat AJ Watch

Pages : [1] 2 3

CureTheSane
5th April 2016, 05:29 PM
Revolutionary New Technique To Heal Knee Ligaments| Interesting Engineering (http://interestingengineering.com/revolutionary-new-technique-to-heal-knee-ligaments/)

Ludwig
5th April 2016, 06:00 PM
It sounds very promising. Unfortunately AJ doesn't have any ligament left to work with (if I understand the previous statements about the current status of the knee), so this wouldn't be an option in his case. If I had a fresh ACL rupture, I'd sign up for this procedure. The recovery seems so much better.

Kumarangk
13th April 2016, 12:26 AM
I hope he makes it back and is near to what he was as we really will need him to replace Ted.I think the club knows that as well by holding on to him.

Swansongster
13th April 2016, 12:33 AM
After wandering over to the members' function on Saturday after the game where AJ was interviewed by Adam Spencer, it seems he may be heading down the coaching pathway.

Delisted next year, perhaps and into the arms of the academy tutorial team?

bloodsbigot
13th April 2016, 01:00 AM
I don't think AJ will ever make it back unfortunately and this is a tragedy.

I'll never, ever, ever forget his Grand Final performance.

bloodsbigot
13th April 2016, 01:01 AM

Triple B
13th April 2016, 11:20 AM

You can say that again...

swansrob
14th April 2016, 09:28 AM
I hope he makes it back and is near to what he was as we really will need him to replace Ted.I think the club knows that as well by holding on to him.

The need to replace Ted next year is why we recruited Talia. I'd love to see AJ back to his best, but it's becoming increasingly unlikely

YvonneH
14th April 2016, 09:55 AM
If he doesn't make it back (please make it happen) I hope he goes into coaching (with us) as he has such a positive outlook and he will still be involved in the game he loves.

Triple B
14th April 2016, 10:09 AM
If he doesn't make it back (please make it happen) I hope he goes into coaching (with us) as he has such a positive outlook and he will still be involved in the game he loves.

He's very active in mentoring the ressies. On Saturday he spoke to the backline group at the intervals. Not sure if it is in an official capacity now, but hopefully it's an apprenticeship for the real thing if his knee situation goes further south, if that's even possible, he can surely see the south pole by now.

CureTheSane
14th April 2016, 11:35 AM
Last thing I want is for AJ to be given a coaching role for any otehr reason than he is the best person available.
The club have stood by him and dome everything right by him, and if he has aspirations to coach, then there's no reason why the Swans shouldn't explore that possibility with him, but just because he played for the Swans shouldn't sway any potential job offer in that area.

bloodsbigot
14th April 2016, 05:49 PM
Last thing I want is for AJ to be given a coaching role for any otehr reason than he is the best person available.
The club have stood by him and dome everything right by him, and if he has aspirations to coach, then there's no reason why the Swans shouldn't explore that possibility with him, but just because he played for the Swans shouldn't sway any potential job offer in that area.

Agreed. Last thing we need is another Nathan Buckley or Michael Voss.

On that note, Brett Kirk is a frickin champion. A former player that's not only a good leader onfield but a good leader off it seems. In 2002 I would have never guessed the influence the guy has had on our club.

Beerman
14th April 2016, 07:37 PM

On that note, Brett Kirk is a frickin champion. A former player that's not only a good leader onfield but a good leader off it seems. In 2002 I would have never guessed the influence the guy has had on our club.

Buckley and Hird is the example I would go for - don't think Voss was that bad. He made some drastic errors early on, which was partly inexperience and partly poor footy department management, but he improved rapidly. He was much better than Leppich and I don't think Brisbane would be the mess they are today if they kept him.

I'm very pleased that Kirk went to Freo rather than straight to the Swans. It's not healthy for the club to be too insular - we need fresh ideas. Glad he came back too!!

AnnieH
15th April 2016, 10:42 AM

Kirky leaves Fweo... bottom of the table.
Kirky comes home... top of the table.
Coincidence?
I think not.

The Big Cat
21st June 2016, 05:56 PM
Can't find the thread that talked about AJ, but the Sydney Swans website is reporting that AJ's latest appointment with the surgeon went extremely well and both are "bouyant" about the progress. (Reading between the lines it would appear that there is no infection, as by this time with his LARS/hybrid operation it had all blown up and he was back to square 4.)

Fingers crossed.

21st June 2016, 06:29 PM
Best of luck to AJ, really deserves a good outcome. If it works this time he will have missed nearly five seasons without pulling on a boot. Was on track to become a star.

Glad the club have stuck by him.

YvonneH
21st June 2016, 06:32 PM
You guys must have been reading my mind as I was about to post regarding AJ's progress (or lack of reporting for same).
That is a worry for you as it is sometimes very muddled.

liz
21st June 2016, 07:03 PM
Last time they announced it had been successful immediately after the operation, and then it was about a fortnight later that it was reported otherwise. I think it's been nearly a month now since the most recent one, so let's hope that no news is good news.

Auntie.Gerald
21st June 2016, 07:07 PM
Wonderful news

Can't wait to hear the next updates !!!

goswannies
21st June 2016, 07:44 PM
I'm typically quite optimistic about everything Swans and most things medical.

I am going to be extremely cautious here, however. I'm afraid I've seen too many incidences where post op infections rear their ugly heads months or even years down the track, without rhyme or reason. When I say too many, it's not necessarily a lot, but enough, and any occurrence (reoccurrence) of postop infection is too many!

The doctors are undoubtedly doing everything in their power.
If you're religious, spare a kind thought on AJs behalf to whichever deity you revere. If you're not, just well wishes.

I hope he gets back - if anyone deserves a break its AJ. But I really just want a delightful young man to get his life back on track ... whereever that track might lead.

Best of luck AJ ????

Ludwig
21st June 2016, 10:15 PM
AJ has been sent to recuperate in a bacteria free environment. (PS: I like the new away jumper, but could use just a bit more red).

http://www.saidaonline.com/en/newsgfx/space%20walk-saidaonline.jpg

Mug Punter
21st June 2016, 11:38 PM

I am going to be extremely cautious here, however. I'm afraid I've seen too many incidences where post op infections rear their ugly heads months or even years down the track, without rhyme or reason. When I say too many, it's not necessarily a lot, but enough, and any occurrence (reoccurrence) of postop infection is too many!

If you're religious, spare a kind thought on AJs behalf to whichever deity you revere. If you're not, just well wishes.

I hope he gets back - if anyone deserves a break its AJ. But I really just want a delightful young man to get his life back on track ... whereever that track might lead.

Best of luck AJ ??

If he plays senior football again I suspect I won't be the only one with tears in their eyes. Good luck champ!

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck AJ ????

If he plays senior football again I suspect I won't be the only one with tears in their eyes. Good luck champ!

swansrob
22nd June 2016, 09:39 AM
Last time they announced it had been successful immediately after the operation, and then it was about a fortnight later that it was reported otherwise. I think it's been nearly a month now since the most recent one, so let's hope that no news is good news.

The last op was on May 30 according to this
AJ "happy and well" - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-06-03/aj-happy-and-well)

aardvark
22nd June 2016, 11:01 AM

That will be one game I won't miss........no matter which stadium it's at!

Untamed Snark
22nd June 2016, 12:49 PM
AJ has been sent to recuperate in a bacteria free environment. (PS: I like the new away jumper, but could use just a bit more red).

http://www.saidaonline.com/en/newsgfx/space%20walk-saidaonline.jpg

Bet Buddy could kick a goal from there!

dimelb
22nd June 2016, 01:52 PM
I was fortunate enough to be at the SCG when Gary Rohan ran out to join the seconds on field. I cheered and applauded wildly along with the hundreds who had made sure to be there for the occasion. I do hope (as we all do) that AJ will be as fortunate this time around, and that his great courage in adversity will be rewarded. And if it comes to that (fingers and toes crossed) I look forward to going bonkers again.

chalbilto
22nd June 2016, 05:35 PM
I was fortunate enough to be at the SCG when Gary Rohan ran out to join the seconds on field. I cheered and applauded wildly along with the hundreds who had made sure to be there for the occasion. I do hope (as we all do) that AJ will be as fortunate this time around, and that his great courage in adversity will be rewarded. And if it comes to that (fingers and toes crossed) I look forward to going bonkers again.

+1

stevoswan
22nd June 2016, 05:37 PM
This is the latest from the Swans website: 'After undergoing a fifth knee reconstruction, Alex Johnson is preparing to begin his rehab.

Harley says Johnson is optimistic about the future.

�Alex is, as we know, an unbelievably resilient character and he�s extremely buoyed by the recent appointment with the doctor,� Harley said.

�He will be back in Sydney next week where he can get back in amongst the playing group and back in amongst the NEAFL team, where he was acting as an assistant coach.

�So he�s buoyed, we�re buoyed and we�ve got everything crossed for AJ � but all things are tracking in a positive direction at the moment.� ' .......Fingers (and toes) definitely crossed!!:smile:

liz
22nd June 2016, 05:41 PM

I half agree. I was at the reserves game when AJ returned after his 2nd (or was it 3rd?) reco. We were treated to ten minutes when he bounded up and down the wing looking fantastic and like he'd never been injured before, only to then witness him crumpled in a heap after an innocuous marking contest. It was heart breaking. I'm looking forward to his return but it will be with trepidation, at least until he's gotten all the way through a game or two.

Crusty
27th July 2016, 10:00 AM
I can't see that this has been covered elsewhere. Apologies if it has.

I heard AJ's knee surgery has gone very well, with no sign of infection. This time he underwent a regular reconstruction using a graft from another ligament. The other times involved an artificial graft, and the thinking is that the infections were really his body rejecting the artificial graft.

If correct, terrific news.

linko
27th July 2016, 10:07 AM
I hope so. If AJ can get back playing like Menzel has I will be so happy for him. Imagine this backline in 2 years. Grundy, Talia, AJ, AA, Smith, Rampe.

KTigers
27th July 2016, 11:00 AM
Yes, Menzel, look how well he is going! Who would have thought it. I guess his story does give AJ hope.
Four years out of the game, I would be quite a story.

27th July 2016, 11:12 AM
Yes, Menzel, look how well he is going! Who would have thought it. I guess his story does give AJ hope.
Four years out of the game, I would be quite a story.
Be nearly five years, probably wouldn't play until 2018. Remember how highly we rated AJ in 2012, has been missed, would be massive if he can get well and play again. Hopefully he does and returns for a "debut" at the SCG.

mcs
27th July 2016, 12:08 PM
Be nearly five years, probably wouldn't play until 2018. Remember how highly we rated AJ in 2012, has been missed, would be massive if he can get well and play again. Hopefully he does and returns for a "debut" at the SCG.

It will be a great tribute to perseverance if he can play a competitive match again - even if he doesn't get anywhere near the heights his 2012 suggested he could as a player.

I hope he gets a chance to get back on the field - the roar he will get when he gets announced to the crowd before the game will be worth being there for. I've made a pledge to myself that if (I hope its a case of when) AJ gets back on the field, I will be there for his first game back in seniors, no matter where or when that game is.

Meg
29th July 2016, 12:53 PM
Interesting article re Daniel Menzel's support for footy players coming back from knee reconstructions. There is a brief mention of AJ.

"DANIEL Menzel has poured the heartbreak of four knee reconstructions into a new website designed to inspire local footballers sharing his plight."

Geelong�s Daniel Menzel launches website designed to inspire local footballers who have torn their ACL (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelong/daniel-menzel-launches-website-designed-to-inspire-local-footballers-who-have-torn-their-acl/news-story/87fc6a08ed391fb7597a016937bf0444)

neilfws
29th July 2016, 02:35 PM
There's an older thread here but no surprise you missed it, it's dropped off forum pages 1-3 so is effectively invisible.

AJ Watch (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/42371-AJ-Watch)

Crusty
1st August 2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks Neil.
I could have sworn there was an AJ thread but couldn't find it.
Happy for the mods to shift this over, which is where it should be.

barry
1st August 2016, 01:22 PM
Surely he would have to show signs of recovery and into training this summer to be kept on the list.
We cant wait forever.

RogueSwan
1st August 2016, 09:38 PM
... Happy for the mods to shift this over, which is where it should be.Done

Bloods05
2nd August 2016, 11:22 PM
Surely he would have to show signs of recovery and into training this summer to be kept on the list.
We cant wait forever.

!!!

barry
2nd August 2016, 11:27 PM
!!!
Yes, an unpopular opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

CureTheSane
2nd August 2016, 11:35 PM
Normally I'd be a lot more open to sharing that type of opinion, but in this case, the romance of a return is worth it's weight in gold.
Also what it says about the ideology of the Swans.

liz
3rd August 2016, 02:04 AM
I don't suppose the retention of AJ on the senior list has been entirely out of sentiment. I am making some assumptions here, but not entirely unreasonable ones, given what we've seen. If the club has assessed it's list as

a) being pretty strong, not just at the top but in terms of the potential of a decent number of the untried (and barely tried) players to contribute at senior level;
b) the value of adding another new player to fill the 38th place on the list being of very marginal value, especially where that player would be a pretty late draft pick;
c) and having a strong rookie roster with a number of players worthy of promotion within the season

then effectively having a spare spot free to be filled when needed during the season, according to needs and how the rookies develop during the late pre-season and into the early stages of the season, provides a fair degree of flexibility to the list management. Clearly they won't keep on with this situation for too much longer, and they must also really rate AJ's determination and his chances of getting back to top level footy if a graft ever does stay put in his knee, not to mention highly valuing his potential worth to the team if he does get back. No doubt they also really value the work he has been doing around the club while going through his trials - like his work with the academy and the NEAFL side. Keeping him on the list in some shape or form is a way to encourage him to stick around in Sydney.

The emotional impact if he ever does make it back to play senior footy will be huge, but the healthy state of the list has enabled the club to be a little indulgent in sticking with him for so long.

Mr Magoo
3rd August 2016, 11:45 AM
I don't suppose the retention of AJ on the senior list has been entirely out of sentiment. I am making some assumptions here, but not entirely unreasonable ones, given what we've seen. If the club has assessed it's list as

a) being pretty strong, not just at the top but in terms of the potential of a decent number of the untried (and barely tried) players to contribute at senior level;
b) the value of adding another new player to fill the 38th place on the list being of very marginal value, especially where that player would be a pretty late draft pick;
c) and having a strong rookie roster with a number of players worthy of promotion within the season

then effectively having a spare spot free to be filled when needed during the season, according to needs and how the rookies develop during the late pre-season and into the early stages of the season, provides a fair degree of flexibility to the list management. Clearly they won't keep on with this situation for too much longer, and they must also really rate AJ's determination and his chances of getting back to top level footy if a graft ever does stay put in his knee, not to mention highly valuing his potential worth to the team if he does get back. No doubt they also really value the work he has been doing around the club while going through his trials - like his work with the academy and the NEAFL side. Keeping him on the list in some shape or form is a way to encourage him to stick around in Sydney.

The emotional impact if he ever does make it back to play senior footy will be huge, but the healthy state of the list has enabled the club to be a little indulgent in sticking with him for so long.

Sorry way too insightful - please remove - we wont emotive and reckless responses

Crusty
26th August 2016, 11:34 AM
Swans may play safe with Buddy for Tigers clash - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-25/swans-may-play-safe-with-buddy-for-tigers-clash)

"The three-time Coleman medallist was on light duties when the team went through it's paces on Tuesday, and was in runners working on stationary ball work with injured teammates Zak Jones (ankle) and Alex Johnson (knee) when Thursday's session was closed to the media."

This suggests that there is no infection, and it is rehab as normal.

Good news, or probably better described as not bad news.

southsideswan
26th August 2016, 11:47 AM
I heard AJ's name mentioned in the Colin O'Riordan situation in Darwin. AJ stayed with Colin for 3 days (visiting in hospital) when the rest of the team returned to Sydney. He must have flown back when the "extraction" team arrived.

neilfws
26th August 2016, 12:32 PM
I heard AJ's name mentioned in the Colin O'Riordan situation in Darwin. AJ stayed with Colin for 3 days (visiting in hospital) when the rest of the team returned to Sydney. He must have flown back when the "extraction" team arrived.

Yes, there's an amusing account of the journey here (just brief AJ mention but worth a read):

Col's All Aussie Adventure - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-08-25/oriordans-all-aussie-adventure)

crackedactor
26th August 2016, 01:17 PM
Swans may play safe with Buddy for Tigers clash - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-25/swans-may-play-safe-with-buddy-for-tigers-clash)

"The three-time Coleman medallist was on light duties when the team went through it's paces on Tuesday, and was in runners working on stationary ball work with injured teammates Zak Jones (ankle) and Alex Johnson (knee) when Thursday's session was closed to the media."

This suggests that there is no infection, and it is rehab as normal.

Good news, or probably better described as not bad news.

I WOULD love to see a photo of the three having a jog. Gee I am hoping he can come back next year. Even if he just plays one AFL game. Its been so cruel what has happened to him.

barry
26th August 2016, 01:21 PM
Can you imagine how bored of "stationary ball work" AJ would be by now.

liz
26th August 2016, 01:49 PM
Can you imagine how bored of "stationary ball work" AJ would be by now.

But just think how good his handballing skills will be if and when he does ever make it back.

CureTheSane
26th August 2016, 03:09 PM
A recent photo of AJ in the gym...

dimelb
26th August 2016, 04:53 PM
Coming along nicely. When the legs catch up with the torso he'll be downright frightening.

Rob
30th August 2016, 08:09 PM
Couldn't find the AJ thread, so mods please merge...

AJ is running on the AlterG - his first time running in two years! So excited by the prospect of his return in the future

Mills expected to face Giants - sydneyswans.com.au (http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-08-30/mills-expected-to-face-giants.mobileapp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcs
30th August 2016, 09:06 PM

AJ is running on the AlterG - his first time running in two years! So excited by the prospect of his return in the future

Mills expected to face Giants - sydneyswans.com.au (http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-08-30/mills-expected-to-face-giants.mobileapp)

Good news, another step on the way to recovery. Lets hope this time it all goes well for the lad - would love nothing more than the chance to roar him back onto the field some day soon.

longmile
30th August 2016, 09:18 PM
Where does that put his expected full recovery? I have no idea how long these things take? Can he have a fairly normal preseason?

liz
30th August 2016, 09:32 PM
I doubt anything will be "normal" for AJ in the next twelve months or so. I'd say he'd have some chance of playing football towards the middle/end of next season if all goes well from here, but probably just NEAFL level.

I remember the roar that went up around the sparse crowd when Gazza first ran onto the ground for his first game back. If AJ gets to that point, I'd expect it will be even louder. Hopefully he gets to return during an SCG curtain raiser so lots of supporters can get along and cheer him.

Rod_
30th August 2016, 09:47 PM
Step number 5.1 in rehab, good luck!

Rod_

neilfws
30th August 2016, 10:06 PM

The search term to remember is "AJ Watch". Here it is (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/42371-AJ-Watch).

goswannies
30th August 2016, 11:10 PM
Where does that put his expected full recovery? I have no idea how long these things take? Can he have a fairly normal preseason?

Technically, it should be like a traditional ACL rehab program, I'd expect. 9-12 months (closer to the full 12 months), although they'll likely be much more diligent with infection monitoring. Overall, a normally healing graft has a reasonably predicable pattern & timeframe, which is what allows a standardised rehab program. The advantage for AJ is that he has the best facilities for rehab and best resources for essentially constant monitoring and assessing, to detect and address problems early.

30th August 2016, 11:42 PM
Great news, really deserves for it to work this time, if not for footy, just for a normal life going forward.

Everything crossed for AJ.

stevoswan
31st August 2016, 06:37 PM
The kid is a legend if only for his perseverance and positive outlook through out this nightmare, but of course to us Swans, for much more....and here's hoping he can add to that status in the coming years, back ON the field. Go AJ!! Positive vibes always......

waswan
1st September 2016, 10:04 AM
Can someone clear this up for me.

I was under the impression that AJ has done his knee "once" and isn't back due to complications/infection.
He hasn't actually done his knee twice its that he hasn't had a successful surgery ?

If this is the case surely there is a more positive outlook from his Reco if successful and he shouldn't be spoken about in the same mould as Morabito or Menzel who had multiple events of knee injury

RogueSwan
1st September 2016, 10:43 AM
Can someone clear this up for me.

I was under the impression that AJ has done his knee "once" and isn't back due to complications/infection.
He hasn't actually done his knee twice its that he hasn't had a successful surgery ?

If this is the case surely there is a more positive outlook from his Reco if successful and he shouldn't be spoken about in the same mould as Morabito or Menzel who had multiple events of knee injury

I think he did get back from injury but re-injured in a pre-season game. It may have been an intra-club, either way I am pretty sure he has done his knee twice.

mattybloods
1st September 2016, 10:52 AM
I think he did get back from injury but re-injured in a pre-season game. It may have been an intra-club, either way I am pretty sure he has done his knee twice.

I think this is right, pre-season game. However I'm pretty sure he said it still didn't feel great when he went on that day

neilfws
1st September 2016, 10:58 AM

If you believe Wikipedia, the original injury was the 2013 NAB cup match. Two reconstructions that year, injured again early 2014 in a reserves game.

Alex Johnson (Australian footballer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Johnson_(Australian_footballer))

I'm losing count but I think he's up to 5 reconstructions now.

waswan
1st September 2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks for that,

From reading a few stories its seems he only did it in the Pre-Season game (that's why I hate Preseason crap) and has since just had infection complications resulting in 10 Operations.
It reads as if he has only tore the ACL once

Triple B
1st September 2016, 11:44 AM
He did it the first time in a NAB Cup match at Blacktown and the second time 15 mins into a practice match against GWS reserves at Spotless. It may not have felt great, but he took a few marks and had a 60m run with 3 or 4 bounces just beforehand and looked sensational...

goswannies
1st September 2016, 12:38 PM

Not really. They are essentially recons each time to fix the ACL with the same rehab protocol. However, AJ will probably have greater atrophy from disuse, potentially poorer proprioception is he hasn't had the opportunity to re-train it (given he's had so many ops over such a short period of time). The unknown risk of potential further infection. Each time a traditional recon is done, the graft heals at the same rate. Depending where the donor tissue comes from (if it's an autologous graft using his own tissue), there will be discomfort fro the donor site. The unknown quantity of his mental fortitude will also impact - though my uninformed impression is that with AJ, that point will be as positive rather than a negative.

RogueSwan
1st September 2016, 04:01 PM
Not really. They are essentially recons each time to fix the ACL with the same rehab protocol. However, AJ will probably have greater atrophy from disuse, potentially poorer proprioception is he hasn't had the opportunity to re-train it (given he's had so many ops over such a short period of time)...
Thanks as always for your insight GS.
I find it remarkable that AJ has persisted this long. Definitely deserves another chance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

YvonneH
2nd September 2016, 09:37 AM
Do we think he will continue coaching if, heaven forbid, this one fails?

Kumarangk
2nd September 2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks as always for your insight GS.
I find it remarkable that AJ has persisted this long. Definitely deserves another chance.

Definately understandable to persist when you consider the opportunities for business in later life as well as the money he could make if he recovers.Still doesn't detract that he obviously is one ornery
critter !

neilfws
7th September 2016, 12:23 PM
Great pics today of AJ commencing running around the SCG, cheered on by teammates. Think there's something in my eye.

EDIT: OK there were pictures on Twitter - looks like they deleted for some reason.

EDIT: and they're back

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/773330912884830208

AnnieH
7th September 2016, 12:56 PM
That's just awesome.

crackedactor
7th September 2016, 01:17 PM
That's just awesome.

Its great photo to see!! I am hoping there is no knee soreness, afterwards?

AnnieH
7th September 2016, 01:24 PM
Its great photo to see!! I am hoping there is no knee soreness, afterwards?

His legs are beginning to bulk up a bit. He'll be right.
I totally wrote him off two years ago.
Fantastic to see him prove me wrong. Somehow I just don't mind admitting I was wrong. Very wrong.

dimelb
7th September 2016, 01:48 PM
What a wonderful sight!

Doctor
7th September 2016, 02:17 PM
Look at the smile on his face and how pumped his teammates are for him. There's still a long way to go for him but this is just so brilliant for now.

Meg
7th September 2016, 04:55 PM
Also great photo on Swans Instagram account. Check out Rohan's cheeky comment.

https://instagram.com/p/BKCb47nAPPB/

stevoswan
7th September 2016, 05:41 PM
I might be as happy as he is, seeing this photo. Great work AJ! Looking forward to seeing you play sometime next year! :five:

stevoswan
7th September 2016, 05:47 PM
Also great photo on Swans Instagram account. Check out Rohan's cheeky comment.

https://instagram.com/p/BKCb47nAPPB/

Can't see Gary's comment, you might have to just write it for us.....:smile:

Doctor
7th September 2016, 05:49 PM
You need to click on 'load more comments' to see it. He says something like "Sam Reid can't keep up" (you'll note it's Reid in the bra running in the background)

aardvark
7th September 2016, 06:15 PM
and here's the interview......

A sight for sore eyes - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-09-07/a-sight-for-sore-eyes)

stevoswan
7th September 2016, 06:49 PM
You need to click on 'load more comments' to see it. He says something like "Sam Reid can't keep up" (you'll note it's Reid in the bra running in the background)

That is funny....I did see Reidy in the background......'struggling'!:rofl

Meg
7th September 2016, 06:51 PM

To which Sam Reid replies "So fat ajohnson34"!

Ludwig
7th September 2016, 07:09 PM
This photo is my favourite. It just says "welcome back mate, we all knew you would make it." There are so many great stories at the Swans.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/SydneySwans/Images/160907_ajpic1.jpg

Bazman
7th September 2016, 07:17 PM
What a great smile on the boys face. So happy to see him on the track..

i'm-uninformed2
7th September 2016, 07:47 PM
Man o man, that's great. I remember the roar when Rooster first made his way back on the field after his broken leg. Can you imagine it if AJ can make it back?

Ludwig
7th September 2016, 08:10 PM
Young GWS midfielder Paul Ahern just did the ACL in his knee again at training. It just shows how tough these situations can be. A player works back to fitness and the ACL goes again. I wish him the best of luck and hope that AJ never has to see an orthopaedic surgeon again. Jack Steele also suffered a bad foot injury at training. I'm not sure if it was at the same training session, but that would be a pretty unlucky day for the Giants.

Markus26
7th September 2016, 10:06 PM
I loved seeing AJ running around with some Swans' guns on the sidelines. Made me a little teary. Can't help but love this club!

aguy
7th September 2016, 10:12 PM
I loved seeing AJ running around with some Swans' guns on the sidelines. Made me a little teary. Can't help but love this club!

Big softy markus26 ;)

bungwahl
9th September 2016, 01:27 PM
Good interview on SEN. Sounded extremely positive about playing footy again. Good luck to him!

mattybloods
4th October 2016, 03:10 PM
Johnson's last stand: Luckless Swan set to re-sign - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-04/johnsons-last-stand-luckless-swan-set-to-resign)

Sounds very promising!

mcs
4th October 2016, 03:40 PM
Johnson's last stand: Luckless Swan set to re-sign - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-04/johnsons-last-stand-luckless-swan-set-to-resign)

Sounds very promising!

The best part of my weekend (given what was to unfold in the hours following) was running into AJ on the way into the ground - and hearing the determination and hope in his voice when he responded to my comment that I can't wait to see him back out on the ground playing footy again.

Fingers, Toes and everything else crossed the recovery continues to go on track as it is at the moment. I don't expect we will see much of him in seniors in 2017 - but if he just gets back on the park in the NEAFL and plays some solid football, that would be some achievement in itself. Anything beyond that would be a huge bonus.

barry
4th October 2016, 03:59 PM
Why wouldn't he play seniors ?

If his knee is good to go he's in our best 22.

goswannies
4th October 2016, 04:27 PM

He was in our best 22 ... in 2012

He hasn't played in 4 years. I hope he'll get back to where he was ... but there's no guarantee

WauchopeAnalyst
4th October 2016, 06:29 PM
AJ to be signed up for 2017. You beauty..????

4th October 2016, 06:36 PM
Great news, didn't say whether it was main list or rookie list but either way doesn't matter. He may not have played in four years but ability to read the play doesn't get lost by not playing, just needs to get touch again.

This is a great club we support. Got everything crossed for AJ, I'll be shattered if he can't make it back, just NEAFL next year will do me at this stage.

CureTheSane
4th October 2016, 08:01 PM

lol that this is an actual question

stevoswan
4th October 2016, 08:33 PM
He's a bloody champion the way he has persevered and gee I hope he gets back to his best, firstly for him but also for us fans. Here's a 'fairytale' we could deliver, we win next years premiership and AJ gets the Norm Smith, but somehow I doubt that fairytale would be AFL endorsed like this years:frown........anyway, Go AJ!!:adore

Mug Punter
4th October 2016, 11:11 PM
He's a bloody champion the way he has persevered and gee I hope he gets back to his best, firstly for him but also for us fans. Here's a 'fairytale' we could deliver, we win next years premiership and AJ gets the Norm Smith, but somehow I doubt that fairytale would be AFL endorsed like this years:frown........anyway, Go AJ!!:adore

AJ playing senior footy again would be right up there with that of winning a flag in terms of the joy I would get out of it......

Doctor
4th October 2016, 11:24 PM
My young bloke goes in for an ACL replacement op tomorrow and it's fair to say that AJ's story has helped him a lot.

Hotpotato
5th October 2016, 05:49 AM
My young bloke goes in for an ACL replacement op tomorrow and it's fair to say that AJ's story has helped him a lot.

Wow! Here's wishing him all the best it goes according to plan .

barry
5th October 2016, 06:22 AM

I don't think we need to go down the #sobraves route of turning this into a fairytale

He has persevered, but didn't really have a choice.

Glad to have him back though andthe swans must have high hopes to keep him on the list .

Doctor
23rd October 2016, 01:15 AM
Wow! Here's wishing him all the best it goes according to plan .

Thank you. I saved replying until I knew how it had gone but it has been 2 1/2 weeks since his op and his physio is stunned at his progress. The better he goes, the harder he works, so that helps push him further along. Noone is, or will, try anything stupid, but all signs are positive so far. I hope it's a good omen for AJ too. Tom Harley seemed bullish when asked about it during the trade period, so with AJ, Talia and Reid we almost have three extras coming in next season.

Bloody Hell
23rd October 2016, 04:44 AM
I don't think we need to go down the #sobraves route of turning this into a fairytale

He has persevered, but didn't really have a choice.

He had a choice, as did you.

You chose:

Horse's Arse | The sculptor paid a lot of attention to detai� | Karl - the horizon's never horizontal | Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/32309556@N00/5237168770)

- - - Updated - - -

He had a choice, as did you.

You chose:

Horse's Arse | The sculptor paid a lot of attention to detai� | Karl - the horizon's never horizontal | Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/32309556@N00/5237168770)

I could have revised this, but the anus, the testes, the tip of the penis...magnificent...

stevoswan
30th October 2016, 11:53 AM
AJ given a one year contract extension by the Swans.... Luckless Swan Alex Johnson earns new deal - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-29/luckless-swan-alex-johnson-earns-new-deal) ......would be nice to see that extended again some time late next season.:wink:

dimelb
30th October 2016, 11:56 AM
Try this one:

Luckless Swan Alex Johnson earns new deal - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-29/luckless-swan-alex-johnson-earns-new-deal)

Auntie.Gerald
30th October 2016, 01:04 PM
brilliant !!!

Markwebbos
3rd February 2017, 12:16 AM
Did you catch 'ask the coach' with John Longmire earlier on Facebook?

Someone asks if AJ will make his "long awaited return this year"

Horse replies "We hope so. He's running fairly hard at the moment and hopefully he joins ball work in the coming weeks"

https://m.facebook.com/AFL/photos/a.264711586416.147202.63513051416/10154326612521417/?type=3

Meg
3rd February 2017, 12:45 AM
Wow, that would be fantastic!

ScottH
3rd February 2017, 11:21 AM
Will be a big day if it does happen!!

southsideswan
3rd February 2017, 03:25 PM
I dread the day.. not sure I can hold my breath for an entire match

aguy
4th February 2017, 03:56 PM
I think it would be astounding if he plays seniors this year. If I remember correctly his last operation was only in the second half of last year ( was it august?). It takes 12 months to get to full strength after an acl reconstruction and he has missed so much footy that he will need a lot of conditioning and strength work too. I'm hopeful he plays some neafl toward the end of the season.

Mug Punter
4th February 2017, 05:03 PM
I think it would be astounding if he plays seniors this year. If I remember correctly his last operation was only in the second half of last year ( was it august?). It takes 12 months to get to full strength after an acl reconstruction and he has missed so much footy that he will need a lot of conditioning and strength work too. I'm hopeful he plays some neafl toward the end of the season.

I think we'd all take 8-10 NEAFL games.....

aguy
4th February 2017, 06:18 PM
I think we'd all take 8-10 NEAFL games.....
I would be ecstatic if he gets that many games :)

Ludwig
4th February 2017, 07:44 PM
I believe he had his surgery on or about 1 June. He would have had time to pre-condition his body for his rehab, although caution is certainly the best call.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in the NEAFL in May. The key will be when he can join the main group for training, which could be in a couple of months.

I'm feeling optimistic.

Southern Swan15
4th February 2017, 09:27 PM
Fingers crossed for AJ. Surly his luck is about to change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

goswannies
4th February 2017, 11:49 PM

The 12 month timeframe is for graft healing - strength of the graft - not the leg (muscle strength) itself (and is a little conservative). From 9-12 months it's getting up to 70-90% of its full strength. Nothing can really expedite this. He would have likely been the best pre-conditioned ACL recon patient running around - muscle strength, I doubt will be an issue, nor proprioceptive retraining or cardiovascular fitness. Given his history though, it would be sensible to take a conservative approach, as a re-rupture would almost certainly be career ending (almost because AJ is defying every odd known to man so far!).

aguy
5th February 2017, 07:35 AM
The 12 month timeframe is for graft healing - strength of the graft - not the leg (muscle strength) itself (and is a little conservative). From 9-12 months it's getting up to 70-90% of its full strength. Nothing can really expedite this. He would have likely been the best pre-conditioned ACL recon patient running around - muscle strength, I doubt will be an issue, nor proprioceptive retraining or cardiovascular fitness. Given his history though, it would be sensible to take a conservative approach, as a re-rupture would almost certainly be career ending (almost because AJ is defying every odd known to man so far!).

I agree about 12 months for graft to be at full strength. That is what I was meaning. I have to disagree about his general strength and conditioning though. Yes he has been working hard in the gym etc but they will rightly be cautious given his history and no.amount of gym work can fully replicate game conditions. That is what I was saying

goswannies
5th February 2017, 10:21 AM
I agree about 12 months for graft to be at full strength. That is what I was meaning. I have to disagree about his general strength and conditioning though. Yes he has been working hard in the gym etc but they will rightly be cautious given his history and no.amount of gym work can fully replicate game conditions. That is what I was saying

Ah, you're talking about match fitness/conditioning. That is different to strength IMO. The primary limitations with an ACL deficient knee is that he will avoid uncontrolled twisting/pivoting and jumping/landing (which are obviously essential during a football match). Controlled strengthening of the dynamic stabilisers (quads/hamstrings and to a lesser extent pes anserinus and popleteus - the former two assisting AP knee joint stability, the latter two controlling small rotational torsion that occurs with knee flexion/extension because of the joint surface articulation), however, can be pushed quite hard. This is where AJ differs from a "routine/normal" ACL injury (IMO). With a normal ACL rupture, there is considerable swelling, instability and (usually) pain. This prevents the ability to undertake intensive rehab preop. The result is marked atrophy of the muscles (particularly the quads). Once this all settles, the ACL is often punctually reconstructed. Postoperatively, the graft strength limits the types of exercises that can performed (ie open kinetic chain quads exercises are avoided during the early postop period because of the increased loading they exert of the graft) resulting in further atrophy and consequent diminished muscular strength. I emphasise that this is for a typical ACL rupture.
Now (and I emphasise with no insider knowledge of AJs circumstances) intuitively I would suggest that over the years that AJ has had off, he has has considerable opportunity to strengthen the afore mentioned dynamic stabilisers (making him far better prepared preoperatively than a standard patient) he will have also likely been undertaking an extensive preoperative proprioceptive retraining programme (and this is the lengthy part that occurs during the last few months of a traditional ACL recon programme), because he's had many preoperative (for the current reconstruction) periods where he isn't restricted but swelling/pain etc, so he could be essentially advanced on that too.
Yes, match conditioning will be limited, however, the I suspect that the majority of other boxes will have been ticked earlier than is typical and the result of this is that match conditioning can be adressed as soon as graft strength recovery permits - this is in contrast to typical ACL patients whose grafts might have aqdequate strength, but the insufficient strength of dynamic knee stabilisers and proprioceptive input would put the healing graft at greater risk should they return to match simulated activities too early. That is what I was saying.

grarmy
5th February 2017, 10:28 AM
Clears that up. I was losing sleep over his dynamic knee stabilisers.

goswannies
5th February 2017, 10:31 AM
Clears that up. I was losing sleep over his dynamic knee stabilisers.
Mocking me? Cruel :numbness:

:witless:

aguy
5th February 2017, 10:37 AM
Very good explanation goswannnies. I for one am grateful to have knowledgeable members contributing :)

goswannies
5th February 2017, 10:40 AM
Very good explanation goswannnies. I for one am grateful to have knowledgeable members contributing :)

:) no probs & thanks. I just hope he gets back - or at least has the fewest problems a knee with his history can have ... for the rest of his life.

aguy
5th February 2017, 10:49 AM
:) no probs & thanks. I just hope he gets back - or at least has the fewest problems a knee with his history can have ... for the rest of his life.
Likewise. I only ever see acls intraoperatively not during their lengthy rehab.

By all accounts AJ is a top bloke so I have my fingers crossed for him

CureTheSane
5th February 2017, 12:13 PM
I wonder how strong the thought would now be to quit while he can walk.
Remember he hasn't been playing footy for years, but he hasn't been walking freely for that time as well.
Reasonably brave to get back out on the track and risk it all again.

goswannies
5th February 2017, 01:01 PM
I wonder how strong the thought would now be to quit while he can walk.
Remember he hasn't been playing footy for years, but he hasn't been walking freely for that time as well.
Reasonably brave to get back out on the track and risk it all again.
You're retired a long time as they say. He obviously loves the game and the Swans (hasn't had a lot of the former, & might feel a little indebted to the latter, so that might also be a motivator). I met him on GF day and he was walking very briskly indeed. No noticeable limp, far as I can recall. He'll be able to walk for a while yet, I always worry when then they get to 50+ & have severely degerative knees. No fun at all.

Crusty
23rd February 2017, 10:44 AM
The Age today has AJ possibly playing NEAFL by Round 4:

The forgotten footballers set to make their comebacks in season 2017 (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-forgotten-footballers-set-to-make-their-comebacks-in-season-2017-20170222-guisn6.html)

"ALEX JOHNSON

It's difficult to write this bloke's name without getting emotional. Having undergone five knee reconstructions, Johnson hasn't played a game since the Swans' 2012 grand final win over Hawthorn, where he was arguably the best player on the ground to half-time. To put that in perspective, current premiership favourites GWS won two games in 2012. Johnson has been placed on the long-term injury list but the Swans are very happy with his rehabilitation. Should be available for selection in the NEAFL by round four. Absolutely in their best 22. "

If so, good news.

chalbilto
23rd February 2017, 12:02 PM
One on my favourite players. Can't wait for his return. Definitely in the best 22.

crackedactor
23rd February 2017, 12:32 PM
Would love to see him play even just one senior game. Agree! he probably was AFL GF 2012 Best on ground until half time.

bloodspirit
23rd February 2017, 12:42 PM
I can't wait even to see him in the NEAFL. If he does make it for round 4 (by no means assured, I wouldn't think) that will be the curtain raiser against the Giants at the SCG!!! :smile:

YvonneH
23rd February 2017, 12:56 PM
Every time I see a new post in this thread. my heart goes 'pitter patter', faster than is good for me,and after reading a positive comment it settles down again.

CureTheSane
23rd February 2017, 02:14 PM
I too am looking forward to a triumphant return, but am balancing that hope with knowledge that the game has been evolving without him, and that 4 years out of the game is not a great starting point to work your way into a GF runner up side

bloodspirit
23rd February 2017, 02:21 PM
I can't wait even to see him in the NEAFL. If he does make it for round 4 (by no means assured, I wouldn't think) that will be the curtain raiser against the Giants at the SCG!!! :smile:

Just in case you find yourself asking the same questions I did after I posted this:

Q: Was "round 4" AFL round 4 or NEAFL round 4? A: AFL Round 4
Q: So which would be his potential NEAFL first game? A: NEAFL round 4 (which is AFL round 5) v GWS @ SCG (because we have a bye in the NEAFL AFL round 4). This is great because it is a curtain raiser for the senior teams and you can watch both. I wonder if this played in to the Club's thinking in terms of the timing of when they added AJ to the LTIL? Maybe he really is on track to play NEAFL that day (Saturday 22 April - bookmark it)!

I hope that makes sense.

S.S. Bleeder
24th February 2017, 07:33 AM
The Age today has AJ possibly playing NEAFL by Round 4:

The forgotten footballers set to make their comebacks in season 2017 (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-forgotten-footballers-set-to-make-their-comebacks-in-season-2017-20170222-guisn6.html)

"ALEX JOHNSON

It's difficult to write this bloke's name without getting emotional. Having undergone five knee reconstructions, Johnson hasn't played a game since the Swans' 2012 grand final win over Hawthorn, where he was arguably the best player on the ground to half-time. To put that in perspective, current premiership favourites GWS won two games in 2012. Johnson has been placed on the long-term injury list but the Swans are very happy with his rehabilitation. Should be available for selection in the NEAFL by round four. Absolutely in their best 22. "

If so, good news.

It's hard to imagine that his body would be up to the rigours of even a NEAFL game by then. He's been out of the game for four years. I wasn't expecting him to play NEAFL until mid-late season. I'm tipping a record NEAFL crowd on the day that he does run out there. Personally, I don't think I could watch it. Every twist and turn h makes that game would have me on tender hooks.

royboy42
24th February 2017, 10:53 AM
It's hard to imagine that his body would be up to the rigours of even a NEAFL game by then. He's been out of the game for four years. I wasn't expecting him to play NEAFL until mid-late season. I'm tipping a record NEAFL crowd on the day that he does run out there. Personally, I don't think I could watch it. Every twist and turn h makes that game would have me on tender hooks.

"'On tenterhooks' - the meaning and origin of this phrase" (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html)<cite class="_Rm">www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html</cite>

A tenter is a wooden frame, often in the form of a line of fencing, used to hang woollen or linen cloth to prevent it from shrinking as it dries. The tenterhooks are, not surprisingly, the hooks on the tenter used to hold the cloth in place

Meg
24th February 2017, 11:10 AM
However I imagine you feel pretty tender if you are hanging on a tenterhook.

Swansongster
27th February 2017, 10:52 AM
"'On tenterhooks' - the meaning and origin of this phrase" (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html)<cite class="_Rm">www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-tenterhooks.html</cite>

A tenter is a wooden frame, often in the form of a line of fencing, used to hang woollen or linen cloth to prevent it from shrinking as it dries. The tenterhooks are, not surprisingly, the hooks on the tenter used to hold the cloth in place

Thanks.

You must of read my mine in one fowl swoop. Give that pedant some additional renumeration.

dimelb
27th February 2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks.

You must of read my mine in one fowl swoop. Give that pedant some additional renumeration.

:rofl

rojo
27th February 2017, 12:58 PM
Whether on tender hooks or tenter hooks I am with S.S Bleeder, it would be too stressful to watch it.

Ludwig
27th February 2017, 04:22 PM
I will probably be on fish hooks when watching AJ's first game.

This is a technique I acquired from watching Tom Derickx. It's not for everyone, but it's amazing how unsympathetic you become about other people's problems.

dejavoodoo44
28th February 2017, 09:38 AM
I will probably be on fish hooks when watching AJ's first game.

This is a technique I acquired from watching Tom Derickx. It's not for everyone, but it's amazing how unsympathetic you become about other people's problems.

Ma! I've done it again, ma!

royboy42
1st March 2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks.

I saw what you did there. Where would the world be though, without us?
'At one fell swoop' - the meaning and origin of this phrase (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html)

<cite class="_Rm">www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html</cite>

The swoop (or stoop as is sometimes now said) is the rapid descent made by the bird when capturing prey. Shakespeare used the imagery of a hunting bird's 'fell swoop' to indicate the ruthless and deadly attack by Macbeth's agents.

56-14
1st March 2017, 10:58 AM
I saw what you did there. Where would the world be though, without us?
'At one fell swoop' - the meaning and origin of this phrase (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html)

<cite class="_Rm">www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-one-fell-swoop.html</cite>

The swoop (or stoop as is sometimes now said) is the rapid descent made by the bird when capturing prey. Shakespeare used the imagery of a hunting bird's 'fell swoop' to indicate the ruthless and deadly attack by Macbeth's agents.

For those of us who are purely interested in what's happening with A.J. - far better off.

royboy42
1st March 2017, 04:11 PM
For those of us who are purely interested in what's happening with A.J. - far better off.

Between seasons 56-14 . And not a lot reported about AJ as yet. Give us a break.

56-14
1st March 2017, 05:08 PM
royboy42 - I don't see your big-noting as a substitute for "not a lot reported about AJ yet"

RogueSwan
2nd March 2017, 11:02 AM

I realise I could have easily googled that but thanks for the info. I am always happy to learn something new.

royboy42
2nd March 2017, 11:19 AM
I realise I could have easily googled that but thanks for the info. I am always happy to learn something new.

Very welcome Rogue.

liz
16th April 2017, 02:17 PM
We're a bit overdue for an AJ update, and I just stumbled upon this article. It doesn't contain much new news, but at least confirms that he's still on track in his rehabilitation, and is due to shortly begin full-contact training.

Sydney Swans defender Alex Johnson makes comeback after knee injury - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-16/alex-johnson-makes-comeback-for-sydney-swans/8446534)

MattW
16th April 2017, 02:43 PM
We're a bit overdue for an AJ update, and I just stumbled upon this article. It doesn't contain much new news, but at least confirms that he's still on track in his rehabilitation, and is due to shortly begin full-contact training.

Sydney Swans defender Alex Johnson makes comeback after knee injury - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-16/alex-johnson-makes-comeback-for-sydney-swans/8446534)

Awesome, thanks. The last I'd heard before this was Florent mentioning he was inspired by Johnson at training in an 'Ask a Swan' segment a couple of weeks ago.

dimelb
16th April 2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the link liz. As you say, not a lot that's new, but every little morsel is appreciated. Although I knew about the team all turning out to see him run again, it sent a welcome shiver down the spine.

Go AJ!

rb4x
16th April 2017, 04:02 PM
The really good news bit in that article is that he has extended his contract for another year. Shows the Swans have faith that he will make it back.

Industrial Fan
16th April 2017, 05:28 PM
Will be an emotional day when he returns to the game. Can't wait for it - hopefully it's to a full house at the scg.

Says everything that he never considered giving the game away. Any doubts would have been magnified and eaten away at him.

Mug Punter
16th April 2017, 08:45 PM
Will be an emotional day when he returns to the game. Can't wait for it - hopefully it's to a full house at the scg.

Says everything that he never considered giving the game away. Any doubts would have been magnified and eaten away at him.

Good piece on AJ in the ABC News tonight, he looks as if he is running really well now and I'd think that this must a good sign that a NEAFL return is not too far away

16th April 2017, 10:24 PM
Want to see a big crowd turn out for his NEAFL return, hope it's a local game.

crackedactor
17th April 2017, 10:20 AM
We may see a record crowd that day. I hope it is streamed live, Still remember his great first half in the 2012 GF.

Mel_C
17th April 2017, 04:16 PM
Good piece on AJ in the ABC News tonight, he looks as if he is running really well now and I'd think that this must a good sign that a NEAFL return is not too far away
I saw that too...he seemed to be moving well. ????

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

ScottH
17th April 2017, 08:50 PM
I saw Menzel land awkwardly today on his knees, but bounced back up without any issues.
Really good to see. Hope these things help AJ out on his mental recovery.

annew
18th April 2017, 08:18 PM
Article says Johnson could be in the NEAFL in 4 weeks - but we all know journalists don't print the correct facts half the time

https://t.co/ZansXa6bEY

mcs
18th April 2017, 08:34 PM
Article says Johnson could be in the NEAFL in 4 weeks - but we all know journalists don't print the correct facts half the time

No Cookies | Herald Sun (https://t.co/ZansXa6bEY)

Some more promising news by the sounds of that article, I have absolutely everything crossed for AJ - even if we don't win a game this season, to see him back out there in Red and White (even though its likely to be NEAFL) would make the season a success of sorts anyway.

annew
18th April 2017, 09:16 PM
Some more promising news by the sounds of that article, I have absolutely everything crossed for AJ - even if we don't win a game this season, to see him back out there in Red and White (even though its likely to be NEAFL) would make the season a success of sorts anyway.

I would like that too but am greedy and would also like to at least finish 8th

Sandridge
18th April 2017, 10:13 PM

Completely agree. Would make the trip up from Melbourne if he managed to get a senior game.

mattybloods
19th April 2017, 03:43 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-04-19/johnson-nearing-a-return

(clap)

Blue Sun
20th April 2017, 12:06 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-04-19/johnson-nearing-a-return

(clap)

What a trooper. I'm so happy for him. Can't wait to see him out on the field again. Welcome back, AJ!

swansrob
20th April 2017, 12:24 PM
Some words from AJ's good mate, Daniel Menzel
Daniel Menzel says a match-up against Alex Johnson would be a great story for the game (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelong/daniel-menzel-says-a-matchup-against-alex-johnson-would-be-a-great-story-for-the-game/news-story/785201ef3af651a37e0bdae08a5be333)

Thunder Shaker
20th April 2017, 10:27 PM
Such good news. It's getting to the point where we can make educated guesses for which game will be the comeback game. I hope it's a home game. Would it be Round 10 vs Hawthorn or round 12 vs the Bulldogs? (Round 11 we have a bye). I really, really hope it's not round 9 (away to St Kilda) or Round 13 (away to the ferals at Richmond) .

mcs
20th April 2017, 10:43 PM
Such good news. It's getting to the point where we can make educated guesses for which game will be the comeback game. I hope it's a home game. Would it be Round 10 vs Hawthorn or round 12 vs the Bulldogs? (Round 11 we have a bye). I really, really hope it's not round 9 (away to St Kilda) or Round 13 (away to the ferals at Richmond) .

I still think it'll be a fair bit longer than those timeframes, as they'll want him to get some solid exposure at NEAFL level. Late this season at the earliest in my opinion.

Nico
21st April 2017, 09:01 AM
You wouldn't want his return game to be on concrete at Ethihsd Stadium.

Markwebbos
21st April 2017, 10:17 AM
I still think it'll be a fair bit longer than those timeframes, as they'll want him to get some solid exposure at NEAFL level. Late this season at the earliest in my opinion.

+1

RogueSwan
21st April 2017, 11:23 AM

Prelim Final?

Mug Punter
21st April 2017, 12:33 PM

No way would he be ready that early but all going well I could see no reason why he wouldn't be putting his hand up round 20 or so.

Ludwig
21st April 2017, 02:49 PM
If Melican does well and finds a permanent spot in the side we might wait until the bye round 11 to take AJ off the LTIL. I think there is an option to add one rookie player to the senior list at this point, so we would be able to leave Melican on the senior list and get AJ back on the list as well. I would think that he would spend June and most of July getting back to some kind of match form. I wouldn't expect too much this year. Late July looks the earliest for a senior game.

Doctor
21st April 2017, 04:35 PM
We should just let him play. If his comeback works, he regains full confidence in the knee to the point where using it becomes second nature again and his play is up to 1st team level, then look to bring him in. Otherwise, let's give him a relatively low profile season in the NEAFL with a view to bringing him in next year. The game has changed a lot since he's been out.

Markwebbos
24th April 2017, 12:55 AM
Michael Gleeson in the SMAge just wrote:

"Meanwhile Alex Johnson will this week play a reserves game for the Swans"

Daniel Menzel, the untapped Cat (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-menzel-the-untapped-cat-20170422-gvqdgn.html)

Could be complete nonsense misreading of info from Swans or ...

annew
24th April 2017, 01:04 AM

Daniel Menzel, the untapped Cat (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-menzel-the-untapped-cat-20170422-gvqdgn.html)

Maybe the next week at SCG against Brisbane would be a better option

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the next week at SCG against Brisbane would be a better option

liz
24th April 2017, 07:25 AM

That's not consistent with the messages coming from the Swans. They have made it clear that he's shortly to start training with the main group, which will be his first training with contact for several years (ie since reco no 3). They are not going to throw him into a competitive game with barely any full training under his belt.

rb4x
25th April 2017, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know the date that AJ was placed on the LTIL. He needs to be on the list for a minimum of 8 weeks. The rules say nothing about when the LTIL can be submitted only that the 8 weeks starts from when it is approved. He could have gone on the LTIL possibly before the JLT series in which case he could come back any time. If he does come back then Melican will go back to the rookie list which would be a bit of a shame as he is one of the few that deserves to keep his place in the team. I don't doubt that AJ is busting a gut to get out on the park but I hope that they do not let him play before he is really ready.

Markwebbos
25th April 2017, 11:48 AM
Do we have one spot on our list for a rookie to be upgraded?

rb4x
10th May 2017, 07:29 PM
We will have a spot available after round 11 when all clubs are allowed to upgrade one rookie. That I think is Saturday June 10 when in the NEAFL we play the Giants at Henson Park and on the Sunday in AFL host the Dogs at the SCG. Would be a convenient date for the club for AJ to play as we could use the upgrade to keep Melican in the AFL but Henson Park is not the ideal location for AJ to make his comeback.

Thunder Shaker
3rd June 2017, 12:04 PM
We will have a spot available after round 11 when all clubs are allowed to upgrade one rookie. That I think is Saturday June 10 when in the NEAFL we play the Giants at Henson Park and on the Sunday in AFL host the Dogs at the SCG. Would be a convenient date for the club for AJ to play as we could use the upgrade to keep Melican in the AFL but Henson Park is not the ideal location for AJ to make his comeback.
I'm hoping that AJ gets moved off the long-term injury list at that time, perhaps with a small asterisk-burning ceremony. (asterisk = long-term injury list on the AFL website).

When he does make it back, I'm hoping it's a home game. If it has to be an away game, the best away game would be at Geelong, with AJ on Menzel.

3rd June 2017, 01:09 PM
I hate this thread getting bumped, I always think it's going to be bad news. I understood that he wasn't back to full contact training yet so no way he fronts at NEAFL until he's done a few weeks of full training. No rush to get him back, slowly back into NEAFL this year then a full preseason under his belt and take it from there.

Good luck to AJ whenever it is that he does run out for his first game, will we make it an SCG curtain raiser like June 23 or July 8 or will we opt for a low key return away from home? How he goes in full training will decide.

Thunder Shaker
3rd June 2017, 04:20 PM
I hate this thread getting bumped, I always think it's going to be bad news. I understood that he wasn't back to full contact training yet so no way he fronts at NEAFL until he's done a few weeks of full training. No rush to get him back, slowly back into NEAFL this year then a full preseason under his belt and take it from there.

Good luck to AJ whenever it is that he does run out for his first game, will we make it an SCG curtain raiser like June 23 or July 8 or will we opt for a low key return away from home? How he goes in full training will decide.
You should start assuming good news because it's all been good news for AJ for a while now.

In an article discussing contract talks with Reid and Jones, there was a small snippet about AJ:

Swans in positive talks with out-of-contract Jones and Reid (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-02/swans-in-positive-talks-with-outofcontract-duo-zak-jones-and-sam-reid)

Head of football Tom Harley said ... defender Alex Johnson was still on track to make his long-awaited return to action before the end of this season � having not played since the 2012 Grand Final due to five knee reconstructions.
Progress may be a little slower than we would like - it has taken nearly five years - but there's been nothing but good news lately for AJ. Fingers crossed he makes it back this year.

Aprilbr
4th June 2017, 01:15 AM
It will be a great day when he runs out again in the NEAFL. Maybe a highlight of an otherwise forgettable season? Imagine if he can make a comeback to senior footy like Menzel at Geelong?

bloodspirit
4th June 2017, 08:58 PM
We've had an excellent NEAFL season, Aprilbr! We're currently sitting pretty on top of the ladder.

I think it is very likely that AJ's first senior AFL match back (if it happens and whether this year or next) will be at the SCG. I think that will be done on purpose, not only but especially for marketing reasons.

Bloods05
18th June 2017, 05:43 PM
Any news? At all?

swansrob
23rd June 2017, 12:04 PM
AJ will be running water for the reserves tonight (along with Aliir) as a form of extra conditioning

23rd June 2017, 12:10 PM
Please stop bumping this thread, I always get nervous it will be bad news!

S.S. Bleeder
23rd June 2017, 08:11 PM
AJ will be running water for the reserves tonight (along with Aliir) as a form of extra conditioning

How can Aliir be running? Hasn't he got a bad knee?

liz
23rd June 2017, 08:20 PM
Not sure where "running water" came from. They were both acting as proper runners. AA, in particular, looked dashing decked out in baby pink. AJ looked a bit hampered in his running. I suspect we'll be waiting a couple of months yet before we see him ready to play.

Thunder Shaker
23rd June 2017, 10:15 PM
AJ was interviewed at half time in the TV coverage. He's back in full training and he expects to resume playing in the reserves "in the next few weeks".

YvonneH
24th June 2017, 09:35 AM
AJ was interviewed at half time in the TV coverage. He's back in full training and he expects to resume playing in the reserves "in the next few weeks".

Any chance we will get to see the interview on our website?

Markwebbos
29th June 2017, 02:56 PM
Forgotten Swan on the verge of famous comeback - M.afl.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-29/forgotten-swan-on-the-verge-of-famous-comeback)

SYDNEY premiership defender Alex Johnson is on the verge of making his long-awaited comeback from five knee reconstructions

The Swans are considering selecting the 25-year-old in its NEAFL side to play Canberra this Saturday.

Johnson has not played a game since March 2014 and not played a senior match since the 2012 AFL Grand Final.

AFL.com.au understands the Swans are also contemplating whether it might be better selecting Johnson against Gold Coast in a curtain-raiser to the AFL game the following Saturday.

Mel
29th June 2017, 03:35 PM
Forgotten Swan on the verge of famous comeback - M.afl.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-29/forgotten-swan-on-the-verge-of-famous-comeback)

SYDNEY premiership defender Alex Johnson is on the verge of making his long-awaited comeback from five knee reconstructions

I don't know how I feel about this. Yes I do. Very nervous!

On the other hand, I can't believe he's only 25. I forgot just how young he was in 2012

29th June 2017, 03:57 PM
No rush, Gold Coast curtain raiser at the SCG seems ideal. Would expect a lot of hard core supporters would get there early in support.

Good luck to AJ whenever the return happens.

Thunder Shaker
29th June 2017, 04:06 PM
From the article on the AFL website linked by Markwebbos:

Johnson is still officially on the long-term injury list, with rookie Lewis Melican being upgraded before round five. Melican played against Essendon last Friday night in the Swans' narrow win.

However, the club has lost Darcy Cameron for the season to a shoulder injury which means he could be placed on the long-term injury list.
I hope the Swans remember to do this paperwork here. There could be repercussions later such as fines.

AFL.com.au understands senior Swans' players are keen to be at Johnson's return game and would make their way to Canberra on Saturday after the Swans play Melbourne in Friday night's blockbuster at the MCG if the decision was made for him to play.
Not just the players either. Make the first game back the Gold Coast NEAFL game, so fans can turn up early and see his comeback game too.

barry
29th June 2017, 04:11 PM
Nah, give him some game time this week and Canberra to build a bit of confidence, then full game in the NEAFL for Gold Coast.

Its not going to generate a big crowd. Only die-hards like us can remember him.

Thunder Shaker
29th June 2017, 04:18 PM
Any chance we will get to see the interview on our website?
The interview is included at the bottom of this article: Forgotten Swan on the verge of famous comeback (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-29/forgotten-swan-on-the-verge-of-famous-comeback)

mattybloods
29th June 2017, 05:56 PM
Curtain raiser at SCG please. Can't believe its happening!

Go Swannies
29th June 2017, 06:13 PM
Can't believe its happening!

Me too - tears in the eyes. Simply amazing.

stevoswan
29th June 2017, 06:18 PM
It will be a somewhat emotional return to say the least.....boy I hope it goes well and continues for years to come! Go Alex!!

Industrial Fan
29th June 2017, 06:35 PM
I remember Kinnear Beatson did a long interview on a podcast where he was asked the typical about mining gold with later picks in the draft. Parker, Hanners, etc. He was quick to add Johnson to the list and implied that he was probably the pick of the bunch.

Cant wait to see him back in action. It's amazing he's persevered to this point, irrespective of how it goes from here on.

Vonsteinman
29th June 2017, 06:36 PM
Only die-hards like us can remember him.

Not sure what impact his NEAFL return would have on crowd numbers, hoewever this statement is woefully inaccurate.

liz
29th June 2017, 06:44 PM
Swans make rookie list changes - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-06-29/swans-make-rookie-list-changes)

Although the above article doesn't explicitly state it, it does sound like AJ has been removed from the LTIL, which then required the shuffling of Melican into Cameron's spot and the unfortunate Edwards back to the rookie list.

Thunder Shaker
29th June 2017, 06:53 PM
I hope the Swans remember to do [the rookie list and long term injury list] paperwork here. There could be repercussions later such as fines.

That was quick.

Swans make rookie list changes (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-06-29/swans-make-rookie-list-changes)

The Sydney Swans have returned Shaun Edwards to the rookie list upgrading defender Lewis Melican to the clubs senior list.

Melican has been a standout across the backline this season playing eight matches in his third season at the Club.

The 20-year-old defender has been placed on the senior list in place of injured ruckman Darcy Cameron who has been placed on the long-term injury list.

So let's see - promoted Melican, demoted Edwards, placed Cameron on long term injury list.

To me, that looks like they're freeing up space to remove Johnson officially from the long-term injury list. Please let it be so!

29th June 2017, 07:07 PM
It does say Edwards "returned to the rookie list" which means AJ has come off the LTI or we are clearing the decks for it to happen.

Let's not forget that we need to re-sign Melican, to the senior list by end of season. So that's Reid, Jones and Melican need signing.

Go Swannies
30th June 2017, 10:35 AM
Just got this:

After 1736 days on the sidelines, Alex Johnson will line up for the Sydney Swans in Saturday�s NEAFL clash with the Canberra Demons at Manuka Oval.

It�s been some journey for Johnson to return to playing after rupturing his ACL in the 2013 pre-season competition � just five months after starring in the Club�s 2012 premiership.

The 25-year-old has had to overcome five knee reconstructions, 12 operations, a rare infection and myriad setbacks along the way, and has not played a senior match since the 2012 Grand Final � four years, nine months and two days ago.

A much-loved character among his teammates, Johnson has shown unrivalled resilience and toughness, and has never given up hope of returning to the playing arena.

�It is just something within me that I have been able to keep positive and keep everything in perspective,� Johnson said.

�There are a lot of people a lot worse off than me in the world and I have still had a really good job over the last few years where I come to work with really good people and keep fit for a living.

�I have always had that goal of returning to the field and that is what I want to achieve.�

WauchopeAnalyst
30th June 2017, 10:35 AM
AJ is in. Welcome back.

Pmcc2911
30th June 2017, 10:37 AM
Huge

ugg
30th June 2017, 10:51 AM
No live stream of this but hopefully the club will have some footage.

mattybloods
30th June 2017, 11:02 AM

I hate that every game isn't streamed!!! Just to run out on the park will be huge, hope there's a big crowd cheering him on

mcs
30th June 2017, 11:04 AM
I was already looking forward to getting out to Manuka tomorrow to watch our high flying ressies go around, but now I am REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to heading out there, to see AJ take his next baby steps towards a miracle return!

I feel like I will barely be able to look every time the ball goes near him - I couldn't care less if the boys were to get flogged (unlikely of course) as long as AJ gets through ok!

Just hoping we get a beautiful sunny day down here like it is today (despite being mighty chilly)!

Welcome back AJ - by god we've all missed you!

aardvark
30th June 2017, 11:10 AM
I'm more nervous about this than tonight's game. All the best AJ.:tears_of_joy:

30th June 2017, 11:20 AM
Good luck AJ, the whole footy world is with you.

royboy42
30th June 2017, 11:33 AM
Not sure where "running water" came from. They were both acting as proper runners. AA, in particular, looked dashing decked out in baby pink. AJ looked a bit hampered in his running. I suspect we'll be waiting a couple of months yet before we see him ready to play.

I saw the same as you, Liz. He seemed to be hesitant with his stride, and, in fact, did very little of the running. Left most to Aliir. I actually made this comment after the game somewhere in RWO. I'm surprised at his return. Guess that's why I'm not a coach! Welcome back AJ.

mcs
30th June 2017, 11:37 AM
I saw the same as you, Liz. He seemed to be hesitant with his stride, and, in fact, did very little of the running. Left most to Aliir. I actually made this comment after the game somewhere in RWO. I'm surprised at his return. Guess that's why I'm not a coach! Welcome back AJ.

I don't expect he will play a lot of game time tomorrow - maybe a half at most. I expect they'll try to put him in the back pocket or something similar - where he can get involved a bit, but not too much, and probably won't need to do a lot of running either. It will take some serious time for him to get confidence back in his body, even in simple things like running.... baby steps is what it is, absolute baby steps. I still think season 2018 is the targeted aim for a return to senior footy, but would be fantastic if he can get a few games in over the rest of the season, and help the Ressies on the way towards hopefully a Premiership!

Aaron
30th June 2017, 11:39 AM

How difficult will it be for the club to organise a live stream. Many of us would like to witness this! The least they can do is having a Facebook Live Feed!

Aaron
30th June 2017, 11:44 AM
Must see video-->
Alex Johnson: 1736 days - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2017-06-30/alex-johnson-1736-days)

S.S. Bleeder
30th June 2017, 11:47 AM
Good luck AJ. Given what you have been through you deserve nothing but success from here on.

KTigers
30th June 2017, 11:52 AM
I think the Canberra boys need to be spoken to before the game, and warned that there is a 5M Exclusion Zone
around AJ at all times. Just let him do whatever he wants, and regard it as a selfless contribution to the general well being
and happiness of Sydney Swans fans all over the world.

ugg
30th June 2017, 11:53 AM
How difficult will it be for the club to organise a live stream. Many of us would like to witness this! The least they can do is having a Facebook Live Feed!

I wouldn't hold my breath.

ugg
30th June 2017, 11:54 AM
Actually I think he might play forward, then he can have the freedom to run when and where he wants to.

Swanny40519
30th June 2017, 11:54 AM
Fantastic news AJ.

All the best and I hope there is a big crowd there to cheer you on.

mcs
30th June 2017, 12:09 PM
Actually I think he might play forward, then he can have the freedom to run when and where he wants to.

You may well be right Ugg - I don't care where he plays, as long as he plays and gets through ok, that'll be the highlight of my weekend by far!

jono2707
30th June 2017, 12:16 PM
I expect the club will release some footage of his return after the game. No doubt the broader AFL world will pick it up too. Kind of glad it's in Canberra as it'll take some pressure off him slightly, and I'd probably be too nervous to watch live anyway.
Although I'll definitely go early next Sat if he backs up ok.

barry
30th June 2017, 01:14 PM
I wonder what his best case scenario is. I guess it depends on how fit he is, but assuming he is at full fitness, would a four week run in the reserves give him enough match fitness for a seniors call up?.
Baring injury, he would be an automatic selection in best 22.... Our does he have to prove his worth again like a new footballer.?

penga
30th June 2017, 01:15 PM
Would make a fantastic captain!!

swansrob
30th June 2017, 01:24 PM
I wonder what his best case scenario is. I guess it depends on how fit he is, but assuming he is at full fitness, would a four week run in the reserves give him enough match fitness for a seniors call up?.
Baring injury, he would be an automatic selection in best 22.... Our does he have to prove his worth again like a new footballer.?

I imagine he'd be on limited game time at the moment - baby steps. I'll be surprised if he plays seniors this year. If he can play out he season at NEAFL level, then get a pre-season into him for the first time in five years, then Round 1 should be no drama

BRISWAN
30th June 2017, 01:26 PM
Best wishes A.J.

May your return to the paddock be a long and successful one.

You are full of the BLOODS SPIRIT and you have earned the right play on and on and on.

Both you and Menzel are examples to all of us.

dimelb
30th June 2017, 01:29 PM
WONDERFUL news. Well done that man, and more power to his arm (and knee etc).

GO THE NEAFL SWANNIES!

RichardLong
30th June 2017, 02:28 PM
Just skip straight to 21.54 on the video......and watch from there! Holy heck the feels. I got goosebumps seeing how the club reacted to Horse's announcement.

My favourite player hasn't played a game in 4 years. WHAT A MOMENT!

MattW
30th June 2017, 02:52 PM

Hoping to get down there for a quarter or two, will report on here if so.

ugg
30th June 2017, 02:53 PM
Thanks Matt and anyone else who gets to Manuka tomorrow.

top40
30th June 2017, 02:54 PM
Just got this:

After 1736 days on the sidelines, Alex Johnson will line up for the Sydney Swans in Saturday�s NEAFL clash with the Canberra Demons at Manuka Oval.

It�s been some journey for Johnson to return to playing after rupturing his ACL in the 2013 pre-season competition � just five months after starring in the Club�s 2012 premiership.

The 25-year-old has had to overcome five knee reconstructions, 12 operations, a rare infection and myriad setbacks along the way, and has not played a senior match since the 2012 Grand Final � four years, nine months and two days ago.

A much-loved character among his teammates, Johnson has shown unrivalled resilience and toughness, and has never given up hope of returning to the playing arena.

�It is just something within me that I have been able to keep positive and keep everything in perspective,� Johnson said.

�There are a lot of people a lot worse off than me in the world and I have still had a really good job over the last few years where I come to work with really good people and keep fit for a living.

�I have always had that goal of returning to the field and that is what I want to achieve.�

My fingers and toes are all crossed. Got the rabbit foot out. Said a little pray. GOOD LUCK AJ!

barry
30th June 2017, 03:12 PM
I imagine he'd be on limited game time at the moment - baby steps. I'll be surprised if he plays seniors this year. If he can play out he season at NEAFL level, then get a pre-season into him for the first time in five years, then Round 1 should be no drama

The NEAFL is the 2nd highest level competition in NSW, and he wouldnt be lining up for a game unless he was fully capable of competing. I would think the baby-steps is purely physcological. They arent going to "test" his knee in a game. Strength testing would already be complete. His knee is as strong as anyones (well, lets say, Malceski's) His body will have the fitness to play AFL. Its just a question of match fitness.
1st game: Maybe a half or so to get the feel for it.
2nd game: 3/4's to full game. (will feel very sore all over after this one)
3rd game: 1/2 to 3/4 game depending on how he's pulled up.
4th game: Starting to get match fitness, full game.

from then on its just form as to whether he progresses to Seniors.

For reference, Menzel played 6 VFL games before senior call up after his prolonged knee issues. Although he had a case of tendonitis during those games with the knee flaring up for a few days after each game.

Club 80
30th June 2017, 03:33 PM
In 2011 and 2012, Johnson was an athletic and reasonably quick defender. Built like a taller version of Harrison Marsh.

Is he big bodied now?

mcs
30th June 2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks Matt and anyone else who gets to Manuka tomorrow.
Im happy to give some updates Ugg, ill be there for sure ???? will post them on here.

Swansongster
30th June 2017, 05:40 PM
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save him Superman" *

* Minor adjustment to a Homer Simpson quote

penga
30th June 2017, 06:02 PM
Just skip straight to 21.54 on the video......and watch from there! Holy heck the feels. I got goosebumps seeing how the club reacted to Horse's announcement.

My favourite player hasn't played a game in 4 years. WHAT A MOMENT!

Damn onions

stevoswan
30th June 2017, 06:20 PM
Must see video-->
Alex Johnson: 1736 days - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2017-06-30/alex-johnson-1736-days)

Just watched it....I have a tear in my eye. Geez I hope he goes ok, gets through it unscathed and goes on to win another flag with the Swans. I will cry with sheer joy if that happens.......Go AJ!!!

Markwebbos
30th June 2017, 07:05 PM
Just watched it....I have a tear in my eye. Geez I hope he goes ok, gets through it unscathed and goes on to win another flag with the Swans. I will cry with sheer joy if that happens.......Go AJ!!!

If there's going to be a fairytale, 2017 would be the year.

chalbilto
1st July 2017, 12:25 AM
So rapt that he has made it back. One of my favorite players. Go Alex you star.

mcs
1st July 2017, 01:48 AM
Just had a chance to watch that video - it sums up just why I love this footy club so much, especially the end of it!

Can't wait to give him a huge cheer in 11 hours time at Manuka - going to be so awesome to see him back out there!

Thunder Shaker
1st July 2017, 04:29 PM
Johnson rapt to get through comeback game (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-01/alex-johnson-gets-through-comeback-unscathed)

giant
1st July 2017, 08:28 PM
Scarcely believable. What an extraordinary achievement. I think I'm happier about this news that I was about last night's win.

YvonneH
2nd July 2017, 10:26 AM
I know these are different scenarios but AJ's comeback sent shivers down my spine just as Jason McCartney's first (and last) game after the Bali bombing.
Here's hoping for many more from AJ.

giant
2nd July 2017, 03:31 PM
I know these are different scenarios but AJ's comeback sent shivers down my spine just as Jason McCartney's first (and last) game after the Bali bombing.

I was at the McCartney game so know what you mean.

While I don't want to make this thread about Buddy, the fact that Franklin - a bloke who has never played with AJ, who has no leadership responsibility, and no doubt has a lot of other things he could be doing on a Saturday afternoon - chose to go down and watch AJ play says a lot about the fella. So much for the Bondi Billionaire!

stevoswan
2nd July 2017, 03:42 PM

I don't like Norf but that day with McCartney was one of the most emotional days I've witnessed in footy and I was barracking for him and his team that day. Fairytale stuff when he kicked the winner.....then he retired. Mission accomplished.......a little voice was whispering "that'll do Jason, that'll do" and he was done. :five:

mcs
2nd July 2017, 03:57 PM

While I don't want to make this thread about Buddy, the fact that Franklin - a bloke who has never played with AJ, who has no leadership responsibility, and no doubt has a lot of other things he could be doing on a Saturday afternoon - chose to go down and watch AJ play says a lot about the fella. So much for the Bondi Billionaire!

I agree Giant, says a hell of a lot about him, as it does for several of the younger other guys that were there that have never played with him as well - obviously, they've seen his trials and tribulations throughout his many attempts at coming back, but many of them could have chosen to do other things on their Saturday. It really is a great reflection on our amazing club that so many made the trip.

Gee its going to be exciting getting to watch AJ week by week, as his confidence builds and he gets back into the swing of things. It was certainly baby steps yesterday, but such important baby steps!

Markwebbos
2nd July 2017, 04:15 PM

I was a Buddy-sceptic before he came to the Swans. Thought he clearly could play but a guy that talented had to be a w@@nker.

I was completely, 100% wrong. So glad Buddy is a Swan.

barry
2nd July 2017, 04:44 PM
Buddy came to the swans with the intention to see out his career here. Once you commit to that level you are bonded to all in the club.