PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 18 MDT. Sydney V Carlton. SCG. 13.45pm

aardvark
23rd July 2016, 11:41 AM

Blues at $11.00 is interesting. I would have thought it would be closer than that. Good luck to Jordan and X. Swans by 24pts. Go Swannies!

RED RAG
23rd July 2016, 12:11 PM
Strong winds, could be a lot of behinds kicked (apart from Carltons ) hope Buddy gets at least 3 to get back in front.

Doctor
23rd July 2016, 12:11 PM
No chance of rain from the looks but it's mighty windy. Hopefully it will ease a bit by game time. Swans by 32.

bodgie
23rd July 2016, 12:37 PM
Ch 7 has a delayed telecast, in Vic/SA at least. Would anyone know if streams will show Foxtel live? Just wondering what timespace to get my head in!

ugg
23rd July 2016, 02:13 PM
Lloyd warming up with the back 7

Mel_C
23rd July 2016, 02:39 PM
According to Fox our game is at the MCG. I better get a move on if I want to make the opening bounce ????.

RogueSwan
23rd July 2016, 02:47 PM
Lloyd warming up with the back 7
I can see him playing that McVeigh/distributor role.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

longmile
23rd July 2016, 02:52 PM
Foote's haircut is a shocker

Flying South
23rd July 2016, 03:03 PM
Who's running with the wind in the 1st qtr?

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:04 PM
Who's running with the wind in the 1st qtr?
Carlton

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:08 PM
Aliir is definitely a senior regular and Lloyd is looking good down back

dejavoodoo44
23rd July 2016, 03:24 PM
Getting the feeling that our tackling pressure will slowly wear them down. Loving the disposal skills of Aliir. Richards and Foote both look like they can cope at this level.
Chuckled at the comment of Basil Zempilas, during the replay of the Buddy goal, "That handball was only ever going to be a lend".

Mel_C
23rd July 2016, 03:33 PM
How the @@@@ have we not learnt about the protection zone rule after last week!!!

Lloyd strowls out of defense like it is a training drill.

Skills are terrible yet again.

Nico
23rd July 2016, 03:37 PM
Protection zone. Last night it happened so many times, but not penalised. Not watching but by the scores we are missing McVeigh.

barry
23rd July 2016, 03:41 PM
Hannerbury is the turnover king.

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:42 PM
Most of Carltons goals have been lucky ones over the back. Very frustrating. We need to play someone in a goalkeeper type role

gossipcom
23rd July 2016, 03:45 PM
Hannerbury is the turnover king.

This quarter he definitely is.

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:46 PM
Hanneberrys disposal is atrocious

Hotpotato
23rd July 2016, 03:50 PM
Swans are a bit of a train wreck today .
Playing like drunks .

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:52 PM
Our forward 50 entry is the worst I've seen this year and thats saying something

- - - Updated - - -

No composure at all except for maybe Kennedy who's stood up in the rabble

mcs
23rd July 2016, 03:53 PM
Our forward 50 entry is the worst I've seen this year and thats saying something

That was a woeful quarter. Repeat that and we will get beat- disposal was awful and forward line almost non existent!

Mel_C
23rd July 2016, 03:55 PM
Why is it that when we play against the lower teams we play so badly? I know we are very inexperienced but this is just ridiculous. We can't hit a target inside 50.

Heeney, Rohan, Papley have hardly been sighted.

longmile
23rd July 2016, 03:57 PM
Heeney, Rohan, Papley have hardly been sighted.

Heeney is shot

dejavoodoo44
23rd July 2016, 03:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

No composure at all except for maybe Kennedy who's stood up in the rabble
Yes, Kennedy has been very good today. But I don't know what Hannebery is on? He is giving the impression that he thinks the guys in the blue jumpers are his team mates.

Ludwig
I'd check out Talia's locker at halftime and see if we can find something to sharpen up our game. Give 2 lines to Hanners.

barry
Heeney is shot

Injured?, tired? , or been worked out by opposition coaches?

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 04:01 PM
So frustrating... I know we don't have Tippett at the moment, but other teams have injuries too. Not sure we deserve top 4 spot with this and other performances this year.

aardvark
23rd July 2016, 04:06 PM
Any chance Heeney,Papley or Rohan might get a touch? Any chance Hanners, Mitchell and LLoydy might kick it to someone from our team?

Hotpotato
23rd July 2016, 04:08 PM
Buddy's disposal is also rubbish .

longmile
23rd July 2016, 04:10 PM
Any chance Heeney,Papley or Rohan might get a touch? Any chance Hanners, Mitchell and LLoydy might kick it to someone from our team?

I think you'd find Heeney, Papley or Rohan would be able to get a touch if Hanners, Mitchell or Lloyd could hit a target. It's that final kick into the forward 50 were our heads seem to suddenly combust and shank the ball

longmile
23rd July 2016, 04:16 PM
Looking cleaner and more determined this quarter just gotta straighten up in front of goal

Cheer_Cheer
23rd July 2016, 04:16 PM
I think Heeney has found Talia's stash..

longmile
23rd July 2016, 04:26 PM
Dan Hanneberry running at 36% disposal. Thats atrocious

Sinclair playing a decent game tho

longmile
23rd July 2016, 05:00 PM
Mitchell already playing for Carlton

barry
23rd July 2016, 05:05 PM
If we lose another close one ... to carlton , Im....

Wardy
23rd July 2016, 05:08 PM
I've never understood the Mitchell love - he's a bit of a liability really- if he's mucking around with his contract and playing like this - let him go.

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 05:12 PM
Coming up to 5 minutes to go with a small lead, time for Towers to be rotated off :D

gossipcom
23rd July 2016, 05:13 PM
Coming up to 5 minutes to go with a small lead, time for Towers to be rotated off :D

He was in the ruck about two rucks ago. Ugh.

gossipcom
23rd July 2016, 05:21 PM
Mills and Heeney showed how to run down the clock in the final 30 seconds. [emoji122]

barry
I have never seen some much blind bombing into the forward line. The forwards should refuse to play until things change.

aardvark
Phew!

Mel_C
OMG my heart can't take this. I am shaking!!

barry
23rd July 2016, 05:22 PM
He was!

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 05:25 PM
Those saying we should win the last 6 games, well today's performance says that is really doubtful unfortunately.

stevoswan
23rd July 2016, 05:28 PM
WTF was that all about? Geez we better lift next week! Nice to win a close one though. :rolleyes: :rofl

23rd July 2016, 05:29 PM
Newman MUST be given a run in the seniors. I thought he should have come in this week rather than bringing in Harry. What more does he have to do to get a call up?

Will be really pist if we don't try him and he leaves for elsewhere at the end of the year and Blossoms ala Membrey (big hurt) and Biggs.

Meg
23rd July 2016, 05:30 PM
Clever scheme by coach, tell them to play a shocker so they get practice at winning a close match under pressure in last few minutes!

Sandridge
23rd July 2016, 05:31 PM
Any win against the vultures from Carlton is just beautiful! Go Swannies!!

longmile
23rd July 2016, 05:34 PM
Unneccessarily stressful by the boys today, but no alarm bells ringing yet. I think it was just an off game by alot of them

aardvark
23rd July 2016, 05:36 PM
Plus side Aliir and Naismith just get better every week, Foote was ok and we got 4 pts!

Auntie.Gerald
23rd July 2016, 05:39 PM
Personally I think Carlton are a team on the rise this season and have shown week to week they are a formidable opponent

But let's be realistic the swans was a team of babies today

We did well overall with the team we had and we hit on top when needed

that was the youngest least games played swans team ever to play AFL ???

longmile
23rd July 2016, 05:39 PM
I really think last weeks game and the (biased) result took alot of the boys, glad they held on for a win, about time we had one go our way

Ludwig
23rd July 2016, 05:43 PM
Newman MUST be given a run in the seniors. I thought he should have come in this week rather than bringing in Harry. What more does he have to do to get a call up?.I agree. And I'd drop Mitchell before he does any more damage to his trade value.

Cheer_Cheer
23rd July 2016, 05:56 PM
Hannerberry was truly dreadful today.. His disposal couldn't have been worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell signs a deal pretty quickly after his last few weeks offerings. Take the deal while you still can.

dejavoodoo44
23rd July 2016, 06:02 PM
I'd check out Talia's locker at halftime and see if we can find something to sharpen up our game. Give 2 lines to Hanners.

Actually, I thought that may have been the problem in the first half. Some of his disposals seemed a touch delusional?

dejavoodoo44
23rd July 2016, 06:13 PM
On the positive side. Kennedy was excellent. Richards and Foote probably showed enough to ensure they get a contract next year. If any of the judges of the Rising Star are tossing up between Weitering and Mills, it became a little bit more likely that they will vote for Mills. Naismith probably emphasised that Kreuzer is a bit of a dud number one pick. Aliir is still looking like a future star. And finally, it's nice to win a close one; even if it was against Carlton.

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 06:14 PM
Very tough game to watch, but happy with the 4 points. X did really well today, which was great. If he continues to play well, that will really give us more options and changes some of the discussion re next year's list. e.g., if Mitchell goes, Heeney can play midfield with X up forward as a marking target and scoring threat.

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 06:21 PM
Fewest kicks today with 2, Tom Mitchell!

stevoswan
23rd July 2016, 06:30 PM
Don't have Foxtel. so watching the game on 7 (delayed in Vic.) at the moment, and I have to say, the umpiring is terrible. We are definitely the worst umpired team in this league. It's as if we're going to pay for recruiting Buddy until his contract is finished. It sucks big time.:hmmmm2:

Wardy
23rd July 2016, 06:38 PM
Allir was so composed and did great things - he's just just getting better each week.

Swanny40519
23rd July 2016, 06:45 PM
Hannerberry was truly dreadful today.. His disposal couldn't have been worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell signs a deal pretty quickly after his last few weeks offerings. Take the deal while you still can.

Just home from a shocker of a game.

I agree 100%. For a supposedly senior star player. I cannot remember one clean possession that Hannerberry had. Nearly every kick and handball went to the Carlton players.

A waste of possession and a waste of his ability. He really does need to work on his disposal over summer (if that is possible).

PeterGoulden17
23rd July 2016, 06:47 PM
I've never understood the Mitchell love - he's a bit of a liability really- if he's mucking around with his contract and playing like this - let him go.
Watching him today i thought he was already in a Carlton jumper. Just looked lazy, his wasteful with the ball. i agree, if he is asking for a lucrative deal he isn't going the right way about it.

lwjoyner
23rd July 2016, 06:54 PM
Not showing composure, LLoyd and Towers , too much just dicky kicks going nowhere. Handballing to opposition (Mitchell for one must be worried about contract) Need to improve massively. When the kicked on fast break in 1st qrt ok but then what happened.

bloodsbigot
23rd July 2016, 07:07 PM
Watching him today i thought he was already in a Carlton jumper. Just looked lazy, his wasteful with the ball. i agree, if he is asking for a lucrative deal he isn't going the right way about it.

I guarantee he'll improve out of sight at another club because their game plan will suit his style more.

We already have a slow, inside mid that shoots out the quick handballs; Kennedy. You'd think one is enough.

Hotpotato
23rd July 2016, 07:08 PM
Was that to give Carlton some hope they will play in a Granny in the next decade.

bodgie
23rd July 2016, 07:19 PM
I think Hanners should abandon trying to hit a target. Just roost it forward as long as possible would probably return better odds.

Go Swannies
23rd July 2016, 07:20 PM
At 7.10 to go in the first quarter there was a holding the ball against Foote. But I've replayed it and he doesn't seem to have ever touched the ball. Any idea why folks?

bodgie
23rd July 2016, 07:22 PM
Good to win a close one! And great to have a delayed telecast so I could watch Samantha winkle her nose.

- - - Updated - - -

At 7.10 to go in the first quarter there was a holding the ball against Foote. But I've replayed it and he doesn't seem to have ever touched the ball. Any idea why folks?

The umpiring is just generally crap.

Number 43
23rd July 2016, 07:27 PM
A win over Carlton is good in any era. This old Toohey's ad is a beauty.
Tooheys (Mojo) "How'd Do You Feel?"' Sydney Swans - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjhymqRQWEc&sns=em)

mcs
23rd July 2016, 07:56 PM
A poor performance today but we got the 4 points.

Highlight of the day was that huge spoil by grundy in the 4th quarter where he came from so far away - other than that not much memorable to come out of it but at least we won.

Grundy should be in the squad for all Australian for mine - that one game aside earlier in the year aside he has been absolutely rock solid.

stellation
23rd July 2016, 08:01 PM
Allir was so composed and did great things - he's just just getting better each week.
I love him, Lexy. I truly do.

Ludwig
23rd July 2016, 08:11 PM
In fairness to Carlton, BB really has them playing good footy and well organised footy as well. They played hard contested football for 4 qtrs and didn't make many errors. This is not the Carlton we played in round 2. Some of those GWS players they picked up, like Plowman, Sumner and Phillips are playing very well. It also seems that our opponents seem to be saving those opportunistic goals for us. We've been giving up those kick and hope goals so often lately, while we seem to be just missing them.

I think the way Hanners has been kicking the ball his best role is to tag the opposition's best midfielder. It's not much use having him get a whole lot of possessions if he just gives it back straight away to the other side.

XR played more than well enough to keep his spot. I also thought Foote was pretty good. Didn't have a big influence, but didn't look out of place at this level.

PeterGoulden17
23rd July 2016, 08:15 PM
I guarantee he'll improve out of sight at another club because their game plan will suit his style more.

We already have a slow, inside mid that shoots out the quick handballs; Kennedy. You'd think one is enough.
Yep agreed. But I'd still like to keep him

Wardy
23rd July 2016, 08:28 PM
That is fab but the Carlton team back then was a truly champion team - to beat them was always unexpected - but this Carlton side are not top 8 and we played at their level.

Swanny40519
23rd July 2016, 08:30 PM
Just looked at the stats.

Hanners has the lowest % of effective disposals for all players both teams. I agree all he should do is tag the best players and don't let him kick or handball, because all he does is give the opposition the ball.

Cheer_Cheer
23rd July 2016, 08:33 PM
Is Hanners still sticking his tongue out before he kicks.. Maybe this is something that has gone missing in his technique :tongue:

Wardy
23rd July 2016, 08:36 PM
He is a pleasure to watch he just seems to "get it"!(Allir that is)

Auntie.Gerald
23rd July 2016, 08:47 PM
AA is a serious star in the making
He is doing easy which is scary

goswannies
23rd July 2016, 08:59 PM
that was the youngest least games played swans team ever to play AFL ???

AFL? or does this include VFL? If so, round 1, 1897. An average 0 VFL career games to their names collectively ;)

goswannies
23rd July 2016, 09:03 PM
Fewest kicks today with 2, Tom Mitchell!

He's never been a massive kick accumulator.

i'm-uninformed2
23rd July 2016, 09:54 PM
Hanners has those games often. I wouldn't worry too much.

Otherwise, for such a young side, you'd both expect what you got - the occasional lack of fluency and half-second hesitation costing us - but a win is a win given that.

X showed a fair bit, AA the same, and Mills is a freak. And Kennedy and Parker saved us through the middle.

One question, as at the ground it's hard to tell, was Naismith placed on report for the hit on Docherty. It looked like nothing to me but that was also why I found the free hard to understand. If it wasn't high, what was the free for?

mcs
23rd July 2016, 09:56 PM

Otherwise, for such a young side, you'd both expect what you got - the occasional lack of fluency and half-second hesitation costing us - but a win is a win given that.

X showed a fair bit, AA the same, and Mills is a freak. And Kennedy and Parker saved us through the middle.

One question, as at the ground it's hard to tell, was Naismith placed on report for the hit on Docherty. It looked like nothing to me but that was also why I found the free hard to understand. If it wasn't high, what was the free for?

It certainty wasnt clear at the ground to me why it was even a free.

Cheer_Cheer
23rd July 2016, 10:03 PM
The free was for contact to the head apparently.

dejavoodoo44
23rd July 2016, 10:33 PM

Ummm, the free was paid for high contact. However, the replays showed there was no head high contact whatsoever. The correct decision should've been: illegal disposal; free kick Swans.

Nico
23rd July 2016, 10:44 PM
Just watched the replay.

Mitchell didn't star but to me he wasn't as bad as some say. Seemed to get caught close in and in traffic a lot. Looked to be tagged at stoppages.
Lloyd - he just kicks it. Why would you dish off to him across half back. He calls for from behind a player who has a mark or free, then runs sideways to nowhere. Just allows the opposition to get back and across in numbers. In the last quarter he kicked it long but straight to an opponent, over our player's head. Got a lot of the ball but not happy for him to stay playing back.
Hanners - he had a very bad patch late in the second quarter, but not as bad as I expected from comments. With the wind he pulled his kicks instead of roosting it with. He wasn't alone in that one.
Mills is an outstanding player. In the last minute he takes a great mark, holds on to the footy, then kicks back, then takes the next short kick, and no one from Carlton manned up on him.
Heeney showed in the 2nd half that he is a midfielder. I reckon after a good pre season he will have the tank in 2017. Was knackered at the end after playing in the middle for a half.
Allir - he needs to work out that he doesn't need to kick short every time. Worries me that he puts the receiver under the pump if his delivery is not perfect.
Towers - all he needs to do is not stop and prop and look for a player who isn't there. So many times lately he is going direct and inexplicably looks sideways to bring someone else into it, and gets closed down. Very frustrating.
Thpought both Foote and Richards showed enough. Richards worked well up and down the ground.
Rohan - again disappointing. Where does he disappear to?
Hewett - not going well. Almost always goes to ground with the ball. His first instinct is to drop the knees. Has the Rohans; disappears

Meg
23rd July 2016, 10:58 PM
Oh wow, Saints beat Bulldogs and Cats beat Crows. Our 6'point win looks pretty good now!

Meg
23rd July 2016, 11:01 PM
So now if Port can beat GWS tomorrow .......! Unlikely however as Charlie Dixon is out injured.

annew
23rd July 2016, 11:03 PM
So now if Port can beat GWS tomorrow .......! Unlikely however as Charlie Dixon is out injured.
And we need Richmond to beat obnoxious hawks but that won't happen to free kick hawthorn.

Nico
23rd July 2016, 11:05 PM
Oh wow, Saints beat Bulldogs and Cats beat Crows. Our 6'point win looks pretty good now!

And with their draw are a real chance to make the 8. Will be a tough game against them.

Swannette
23rd July 2016, 11:07 PM
Only blotted by the Demons close loss. If only they had nailed that one.

Industrial Fan
23rd July 2016, 11:08 PM
I thought we should have put another 2-3 goals minimum on the board during the first 20mins of the third qtr. dominated but didn't get the damage done on the scoreboard.

Also thought Carlton played reasonably well for most of the day.

Was nice to have a close game that we won.

stevoswan
23rd July 2016, 11:21 PM
AA is a serious star in the making
He is doing easy which is scary

He is a pleasure to watch he just seems to "get it"!(Allir that is)

He reads the game much better than Majak Daw, gets far more possessions and knows what to do with them........but that mark Daw took last night was pretty special(clap). Both great athletes, but Allir's a better 'footballer'.:smile:

rojo
24th July 2016, 12:06 AM
Nice to see Sinclair take a couple of good marks, heres hoping he can gain confidence and form going forward.
Good to see Rohan and Isaac coming to life in the third quarter after being moved, helped spark the team to life. They along with Buddy, Mills and potentially Aliir have that ability.
I was so impressed with XR's game perhaps because in the few reserves games I have watched he didn't seem to me to have what it takes to make it at senior level. Hopefully he gets a few more games to see how he goes after the opposition have done their homework.
Parks and especially Kennedy were the best of the mids for me. It is interesting how they take turns in being the pin up boys. At the beginning of the season Parks was being touted as a possible Brownlow Medal winner, then Hanners took over, then Mitchell had a couple of standout games and now Kennedy is rising to the forefront - again. I think it depends to a certain extent on which one gets the closest tag, and/or what roles they are given by the coaches.
Hewett and Papley are battling a bit.
Towers, Lloyd and Harry all have different strengths and weaknesses, and at the moment of the three I wouldn't have Harry in the best 22, especially when Zac Jones is available. I would pick Towers ahead of Lloyd because his leg speed helps him intercept the ball and he is now winning contested possession. We all know his weaknesses but surprisingly his goal kicking accuracy is not too bad. I think his strengths now outweigh his weaknesses. With Jake I am not sure that they do.
Naismith is doing well and looks to have lots of upside. .
I am just glad that we won.

MattW
24th July 2016, 12:20 AM
A lot of passengers out there.

In my view, we've not been getting enough from Hewett for a while - has a tendency to search for the free kick when in possession.

Re Towers, I stand by my comments from last week. Poor under pressure and not a good decision maker. Not a finals player.

In general, we looked slow. We missed Jones' straight running. What's going on with Hanners?

Positives: Mills another excellent game; Naismith also - I'd play him ahead of Sinclair when Tippett returns; hopefully that ignites Heeney; promising from Xavier; another good one from Aliir.

Personally, the sooner the quick thinking McVeigh comes back, the better.

barry
24th July 2016, 12:23 AM
Of the ins for this game id say only richards will hold his place.

Velour&Ruffles
24th July 2016, 02:28 AM
I also thought Foote was pretty good. Didn't have a big influence, but didn't look out of place at this level.

I agree. In fact, he seemed quite instep.

Maltopia
24th July 2016, 02:28 AM
It certainty wasnt clear at the ground to me why it was even a free.

Because they were a Melbourne team. The only Victorian team this season where we got more free kicks than them was vs Essendon.

goswannies
24th July 2016, 12:15 PM
I agree. In fact, he seemed quite instep.

[groan] oh a Foote pun - how corny!

Doctor
24th July 2016, 12:36 PM
Because they were a Melbourne team. The only Victorian team this season where we got more free kicks than them was vs Essendon.

Even though the field umps from from WA and SA.

Maltopia
24th July 2016, 03:31 PM
Even though the field umps from from WA and SA.

Dean Margetts from WA went to the Hawks training camp in 2015, attended all their meetings. It is in the article in the other thread.

giant
24th July 2016, 04:40 PM
Well that was highly frustrating, close to our worst performance of the year. That said, the Blues were good, they're building a half way decent team.

Only positives for me were Heeney's second half, X's first half, couple of tremendous performances from Kennedy & Parker, and efforts of AA and Reg. You could raffle the rest - Hanners & Mitch's disposal efficiency truly awful. It does show we miss McVeigh when he's not playing, and I wouldn't mind a Jetta back in the squad either.

Anyways, guess this is what you get with a young squad, but if we can just get things 5% better there might be a flag to steal here. Am I kidding myself?

- - - Updated - - -

A poor performance today but we got the 4 points.

Highlight of the day was that huge spoil by grundy in the 4th quarter where he came from so far away - other than that not much memorable to come out of it but at least we won.

Grundy should be in the squad for all Australian for mine - that one game aside earlier in the year aside he has been absolutely rock solid.

That was not only game-saving, it was potentially season-saving. Magnificent effort from Reg.

RogueSwan
24th July 2016, 08:31 PM
In my view, we've not been getting enough from Hewett for a while - has a tendency to search for the free kick when in possession...

I don't think that is true, he tends to dive into contests head first and had got a few free kicks. Just because a few RWOer's have pointed this out doesn't make him a footballer that looks for penalties first, play the ball second.

barry
24th July 2016, 09:04 PM
Giants sneak above us. Looked far more impressive than we did.

MattW
24th July 2016, 09:37 PM
I don't think that is true, he tends to dive into contests head first and had got a few free kicks. Just because a few RWOer's have pointed this out doesn't make him a footballer that looks for penalties first, play the ball second.

My comment was based on my own observations and has got nothing to do with what other RWOers have said. He got caught with the ball a couple of times yesterday, and reckon that was partly because he was thinking about drawing the free rather than disposing of it.

Triple B
24th July 2016, 10:01 PM
My comment was based on my own observations and has got nothing to do with what other RWOers have said. He got caught with the ball a couple of times yesterday, and reckon that was partly because he was thinking about drawing the free rather than disposing of it.

Exactly my thoughts also Matt.

Surprised there is not more love for Mills, he was my BOG. Keen to watch the replay during the week to confirm...

royboy42
24th July 2016, 10:11 PM
Agree re Mills. God, what a future! But the Giants are some years ahead of where we thought. And they're there for a long time. Both newcomers were over compensated, but GC buggered it up. Be prepared to fight for second place for a while, and don't donate this year to anyone else either.

barry
24th July 2016, 10:48 PM
Don't be one of those that predict the end of the world whenever the giants get a win.

At half time they were half the score of the 10th ranked team.

chuckie
25th July 2016, 12:06 PM
I think this year is looking a lot like 2013, we haven't been able to get our best team on the ground all year due to injuries.
The kids are playing some great footy but they can also go missing. Our biggest problem is we arn't kicking enough goals which is keeping the opposition in the game. We won't beat top sides kicking 10 goals.

Plugger1300
25th July 2016, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about this game. Conditions made it hard for clean disposal and Carlton kicked 3-4 goals they wouldn't be able to do if they tried 10 times.

Always good to win after playing badly. This was a very young side and we finally killed the clock.

Mills was sensational
Grundy likewise

Hewett needs to stay upright. It's a bad look

Plugger46
25th July 2016, 12:14 PM

Really? If he's in traffic, I reckon his first movement is to look to draw a free.

Ludwig
25th July 2016, 12:47 PM
Hewett attacks the ball in a way similar to Joel Selwood. Goes in low and stays low when taking his first few steps with the ball, so draws a lot of free kicks. He's also the best set shot for goal on the team. If given a choice between taking either Hewett or Tom Mitchell, I'd take Hewett hands down.

Hewett's free kick winning action is a lot different than the one the commentators lauded by Jack Silvagni, where he lowered his body when he felt the breeze of Jake Lloyd's hand over his shoulder. If there was any high contact is was like a cotton ball falling on his shoulder. As soon as Silvagni starting dropping down to draw the free Lloyd moved his arm down to make a proper tackle. They called it high anyway. I thought there were a few questionable frees that went against us in the 4th qtr. Nonetheless, we do get sloppy with our tackling and give away too many legit frees, especially for high contact.

I thought Lloyd's game was generally good. He got lot's of the ball and used it well, but I don't like him as a defender. He's neither quick enough nor strong enough when he's the last man between himself and goal. He's much better as a link player moving through the midfield. I hope we give Nic Newman a shot at that role this week. He's got both of those things that Lloyd doesn't and is a lot quicker than McVeigh and probably a better kick as well. Newman will probably get caught out by the head flingers looking for free kicks, because he doesn't like to lower his body when tackling, something he will have to learn quickly if he finds himself one on one against the likes of Lindsay Thomas.

neilfws
25th July 2016, 12:48 PM
Mixed feelings. Was a fairly dire game to watch. Barely getting up over Carlton is a concern.

On the other hand, got the win with a very young team and a combination of players that haven't played together much, so a good effort. Enjoyed watching the "ins" and thought the defence really stood up and saved the day.

GAP2065
25th July 2016, 01:13 PM
The game was not pretty to watch at the SCG as Swans seemed to overuse handball. Got to the point that many people near me were screaming "kick it" just before another Swans handball turnover.

Interestingly the game did not seem so bad when I watched the replay on TV (knowing we won might have helped)

The Big Cat
25th July 2016, 02:26 PM
People should be thrilled that we won the game. I thought it had danger written all over it. We had just come off a trio of massive games, two of which we lost be a bee's diaphragm on the siren and the other a big win at the cats' fortress! We had half a NEAFL team on the park and the Blues had run the WCE close the week before and were up to claim a big scalp. The windy conditions made our flip-it-around game treacherous. I see massive positives in getting the four points.

AnnieH
26th July 2016, 03:04 PM
Wow.
So glad we didn't lose that in the last two minutes.
What an ugly game of footy.

I counted five occasions where the ball was left on the ground while the swans players were too busy playing the man.
Had they picked up it, we probably would have won by enough percentage to be higher on the ladder.

What's the use in having 300 possessions (Hanners), if you're going to just kick/handball the ball to the opposition?
Kick it to me.
He's not the only one by far, but it's very frustrating to go to so much hard work to win the ball (like we should be working that hard!), only to pass it over to the opposition and they score.
Very, very frustrating.

Primmy
26th July 2016, 04:05 PM
Not all that ugly when you watch a replay. Not that nice at the ground tho. But watching the tv version, the game was no where near as aaaagggghhhhh as it was from up in the stands.

Like Hewett. Lots. He is smart and I am glad he is on our list.
Dan, oh Dan, oh Dan, what ..... as Tom wasn't all that flash during this game, so perhaps Dan was expecting him to "be there" and he just wasn't..... that's why he was handballing blindly..... someone was Supposed to Be There, as practiced.
Allir Allir ... Respect young man. Talk about taking the opportunity with both hands and not relinquishing it.
Toldyers.... X is going to be a good forward man. He is so flexible he bends his way out of trouble. Has he grown six cm in the last year?
Foote looks like a keeper. I love the way the juniors turn up at senior games ready to roll. Just in to it.

What was going on with Isaac??? I could say a lot, but not very constructive. His second half was nothing like his woeful first half. Thank god.

mcs
26th July 2016, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=AnnieH;702888]

I counted five occasions where the ball was left on the ground while the swans players were too busy playing the man.
Had they picked up it, we probably would have won by enough percentage to be higher on the ladder.

QUOTE]

This frustrates me no end - I know one needs to be accountable to their man, but ultimately you can't win football games if you don't get the damn ball. We are the worst in the league for doing it, and it happened on several occasions on Saturday.

Nico
26th July 2016, 06:16 PM
Not all that ugly when you watch a replay. Not that nice at the ground tho. But watching the tv version, the game was no where near as aaaagggghhhhh as it was from up in the stands.

Like Hewett. Lots. He is smart and I am glad he is on our list.
Dan, oh Dan, oh Dan, what ..... as Tom wasn't all that flash during this game, so perhaps Dan was expecting him to "be there" and he just wasn't..... that's why he was handballing blindly..... someone was Supposed to Be There, as practiced.
Allir Allir ... Respect young man. Talk about taking the opportunity with both hands and not relinquishing it.
Toldyers.... X is going to be a good forward man. He is so flexible he bends his way out of trouble. Has he grown six cm in the last year?
Foote looks like a keeper. I love the way the juniors turn up at senior games ready to roll. Just in to it.

What was going on with Isaac??? I could say a lot, but not very constructive. His second half was nothing like his woeful first half. Thank god.

Problem with Hanners is; about 10 rounds ago he did a freakish handball that the world lauded, and he has been trying to do it again since without success. Get back to basics Dan. He also appears to call for the footy in the wrong spot and tries to ram his way through a tackle.

On Isaac; he showed that he is a midfielder in the second half. Really strong at the contest.